8 replies to this topic

#1 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:49 PM

I have a pair of really old Perko navigation sidelights. They are chromed brass, and as happens in that situation after many decades, the chrome looks like crap. I could buy a new pair for $80, which isn't too bad as the lenses are pretty cloudy as well. But, I was wondering if I could just get the chrome off.

I found one person who did it this way:

The proceedure is very much the same as removing rust but with different chemical. First, degrease completely and scrub thoroughly with detergent. Mix 1 cup of Muriatic acid with 3 gallons of water in a plastic bucket. NOTE; ALWAYS ADD ACID TO WATER. NEVER WATER TO ACID !!! (It WILL explode) Hang two or three copper wires (#12 or larger) around sides of bucket. Connect these to ground of battery charger. Hang item to be dechromed in fluid with positive lead connected. Be sure part doesn"t touch ground wires. Within a few seconds or minutes, depending on thickness of chrome, it should come clean. More or less time as required. When finnished, wash parts in mild soda water solution to nutralize acid. (Do this right way to prevent rust) As with any caustic acid, handle with care.

Of course, now I'd have one more thing to polish. Might look pretty awesome for the photo shoot. :rolleyes:

#2 _Vegas_

_Vegas_

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,640 posts
  • Interests:Kicking Ass and Going Fast

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:05 PM

I know a few girls that may have some talents in this area - only proven on trailer hitches though :lol:

#3 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:08 PM

like I didn't see that coming...

#4 gdavid

gdavid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:09 PM

Just another reason you need Jenny McCarthy in your life

#5 tft1987

tft1987

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:29 PM

http://bit.ly/MlhGR8

#6 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:14 PM

http://bit.ly/MlhGR8

lame

you think I'd be here if I'd have already found the answer I'm looking for on teh googles?

#7 bammiller

bammiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:33 PM

I have a pair of really old Perko navigation sidelights. They are chromed brass, and as happens in that situation after many decades, the chrome looks like crap. I could buy a new pair for $80, which isn't too bad as the lenses are pretty cloudy as well. But, I was wondering if I could just get the chrome off.

I found one person who did it this way:

The proceedure is very much the same as removing rust but with different chemical. First, degrease completely and scrub thoroughly with detergent. Mix 1 cup of Muriatic acid with 3 gallons of water in a plastic bucket. NOTE; ALWAYS ADD ACID TO WATER. NEVER WATER TO ACID !!! (It WILL explode) Hang two or three copper wires (#12 or larger) around sides of bucket. Connect these to ground of battery charger. Hang item to be dechromed in fluid with positive lead connected. Be sure part doesn"t touch ground wires. Within a few seconds or minutes, depending on thickness of chrome, it should come clean. More or less time as required. When finnished, wash parts in mild soda water solution to nutralize acid. (Do this right way to prevent rust) As with any caustic acid, handle with care.

Of course, now I'd have one more thing to polish. Might look pretty awesome for the photo shoot. :rolleyes:

My plating guy usually glass bead blasts, then polishes the nickel and copper under layers off.

Bam Miller

#8 Fleetwood

Fleetwood

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Interests:Sailing
    rugby
    etc

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:21 AM

Take them to your local chrome plater (they do still exist) who can remove the chrome in a acid bath for a few bucks and you don't have to worry about disposing of the used, chrome contaminated acid solution!
He can then re-plate them for you if you want. Not expensive and they'll look great. I did this with my anchor windlass.
Then you'll have to worry about how to get the lenses looking good - plastic polish?

#9 CyberBOB

CyberBOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 03:29 PM

Take them to your local chrome plater (they do still exist) who can remove the chrome in a acid bath for a few bucks and you don't have to worry about disposing of the used, chrome contaminated acid solution!
He can then re-plate them for you if you want. Not expensive and they'll look great. I did this with my anchor windlass.
Then you'll have to worry about how to get the lenses looking good - plastic polish?

They make a headlight polishing kit to clean and polish headlight lenses, never used it but might be worth a try.

Maybe start with the lenses, see how they clean up before removal of the chrome. It would be a shame to get the bodies done and find you can't get the lenses polished to your satisfaction.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users