331 replies to this topic

#1 Hobie Dog

Hobie Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:01 PM

Just getting pumped up for the Olympics and checking out the TV schedules and at least in Southern Maryland there is ZERO sailing coverage! WHAT THE FUCK OVER!!!

I realize sailing is not a mainstream sport but EVERY other sport is at least getting some coverage on one of the networks. Rhythmic Gymnastics and Synchronized Swimming are even getting coverage and they aren't even fucking sports!!! Talented athletes yes but they belong at Zumanity in Vegas!

So what gives? Cost of putting cameras on the water not worth the overall level of interest? Will SA be able to get anything?

#2 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts
  • Location:Dodgy Bit Of Stamford, CT and The Cows, Graveyard of LIS where bluefish get blown off wire leaders

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:07 PM

At one of the sailing venues, there is a seaside park - neighborhgood with execellent public viewing. Well, there was. They built a ginat screen or wall to block the view and force people to buy a ticket to come over to the otherside.

#3 Hobie Dog

Hobie Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:26 PM

Well isn't that nice of them!

#4 umpire

umpire

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:34 PM

At one of the sailing venues, there is a seaside park - neighborhgood with execellent public viewing. Well, there was. They built a ginat screen or wall to block the view and force people to buy a ticket to come over to the otherside.

There is only one sailing venue here for the Olympics (Weymouth) and all of it is being covered by tv, it just requires the Us networks to buy/use tis

#5 NorCalLaser

NorCalLaser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:06 PM

It will all be online like 2008

#6 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,670 posts
  • Interests:Racing in all forms.

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:20 AM

Will SA be able to get anything?

On the water coverage? Not a chance but the BBC will cover it and all programmes are available online through iPlayer. Assuming they aren't country-blocked for you.

#7 Hobie Dog

Hobie Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:49 PM

There is only one sailing venue here for the Olympics (Weymouth) and all of it is being covered by tv, it just requires the Us networks to buy/use tis

Thanks for the info. Well it looks like they are not. Like I said EVERY sport is at least getting some TV coverage here except sailing! Really sucks!!!

#8 toddster

toddster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:13 PM

Possibly because sailing is one of those sports that is difficult to televise. The action takes place on wildly different scales of time and space and is spread out over a large area. Look how much technology and expense it takes to make a bicycle race into an exciting TV program. The potential audience may not be large enough to justify the expense. Just a theory.

OTOH, there is a whole network channel for golf, which as far as I can see is just footage of people standing around. So I may be wrong.

#9 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,643 posts
  • Interests:cycling, skiing and depressing the competition on the race course

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:14 PM

Just getting pumped up for the Olympics and checking out the TV schedules and at least in Southern Maryland there is ZERO sailing coverage! WHAT THE FUCK OVER!!!

I realize sailing is not a mainstream sport but EVERY other sport is at least getting some coverage on one of the networks. Rhythmic Gymnastics and Synchronized Swimming are even getting coverage and they aren't even fucking sports!!! Talented athletes yes but they belong at Zumanity in Vegas!

So what gives? Cost of putting cameras on the water not worth the overall level of interest? Will SA be able to get anything?

Plant some grass seed and watch it grow, it's kind of like the same thing.
That's why no coverage.

#10 NorCalLaser

NorCalLaser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:16 PM

Possibly because sailing is one of those sports that is difficult to televise. The action takes place on wildly different scales of time and space and is spread out over a large area. Look how much technology and expense it takes to make a bicycle race into an exciting TV program. The potential audience may not be large enough to justify the expense. Just a theory.

OTOH, there is a whole network channel for golf, which as far as I can see is just footage of people standing around. So I may be wrong.

the sport is already being televised, theyre just not showing the feed here in the US, because theres no audience for it.

yes, golf is just people standing around. solid observation

#11 gavinge

gavinge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:23 PM

hmm, all the sailing online will be at 4am pacific. Not sure if it will be viewable post live. Hope so; no chance I'm getting up at 4am to watch it!

#12 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts
  • Location:Dodgy Bit Of Stamford, CT and The Cows, Graveyard of LIS where bluefish get blown off wire leaders

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:34 PM

The sailing competition for the London 2012 Games is taking place on the windy stretch of the coast off Weymouth, but residents already upset about the disruption being caused in the town said they will not be able to catch a glimpse of gold medal hopefuls Ben Ainslie or Brony Shaw.

Officials plan to wall off the 430,000 sq feet Nothe Gardens at Weymouth and Portland, the venue for the sea-based events at the Games. The park is a popular waterfront space that lies alongside one half of the harbour. Many residents had hoped to watch some of the action from the park for free, but this will not be possible under the plans, which will ensure only ticket holders, who will have paid up to 50 for a seat, get a view.

#13 Meat Helmet

Meat Helmet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:46 PM

It will all be online like 2008

^ This! The Beijing games had awesome online coverage of not only sailing but many other random sports. If memory serves, it was just a love feed without any commentary.

*EDIT:

Try here. Looks like TONS of sailing coverage.

#14 Ramona

Ramona

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:Yachting and boating in general

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:38 PM

Different time zone and lack of popularity is the killer. American TV schedules mean the Australian volley ball women's team are playing at 2300. Looks like they will be wearing their bikini's over their tracksuits!

#15 fogmachine

fogmachine

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Interests:Stirring things up from the poop deck.

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:46 AM

AFAIK, if you pay for just about any US home cable or satellite service you can sign up at nbcolympics for the "Live Extra" service at no additional charge. It's supposed to have live feeds of all 32 Olympic events, though there may not be any commentary (at least there wasn't any from Beijing). Don't know how they're covering; in Beijing they used on-the-water gyro-stabilized cameras and some helicopters.

Coverage is set for noon in London, 4am Pacific except for the first day which start ten minutes earlier.

7/29 - Finn, Star, Elliot
7/30 - Finn, Star, Laser Radial, 49er, Elliott 6m
7/31 - RS:X, Finn, Star, Laser Radial, 49er, Elliott 6m
8/1 - RS:X, Laser Radial, 49er, Elliott 6m
8/2 - RS:X, Finn, Star, 470, 49er, Elliott 6m
8/3 - Finn, Star, Laser Radial, 470, 49er
8/4 - RS:X, Laser Radial, 470, Elliott 6m
8/5 - Star Medal, RS:X, 470, 49er, Finn
8/6 - Laser Radial, 470, 49er, Laser
8/7 - RS:X, 470, Eliott 6m
8/8 - 49er Skiff Medal, 470 W, Eliott 6m W
8/9 - 470 M Medal, Elliott 6m W Match Race
8/10 - 470 W Medal, Elliott 6m W Match Race
8/11 - W Elliott 6m Match Racing Medal Race

#16 European Bloke

European Bloke

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:16 PM

The sailing competition for the London 2012 Games is taking place on the windy stretch of the coast off Weymouth, but residents already upset about the disruption being caused in the town said they will not be able to catch a glimpse of gold medal hopefuls Ben Ainslie or Brony Shaw.

Officials plan to wall off the 430,000 sq feet Nothe Gardens at Weymouth and Portland, the venue for the sea-based events at the Games. The park is a popular waterfront space that lies alongside one half of the harbour. Many residents had hoped to watch some of the action from the park for free, but this will not be possible under the plans, which will ensure only ticket holders, who will have paid up to 50 for a seat, get a view.

Whoever you are and wherever you stand around there all you would see is a little clump of white dots. The only views would be on TV or from a boat.

The only people who would go down there to watch sailing from the shore either don't know the area or don't know sailing.

#17 MidPack

MidPack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:21 PM

Mr Clean could do some great OTW coverage like he just did in Chicago...

#18 Jabbawocky

Jabbawocky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:Lots

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:53 PM

Will SA be reporting from Weymouth?

#19 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,338 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:36 PM

Hopefully some of you guys on the ground will check in with reports...

#20 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,620 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:23 AM

Whoever you are and wherever you stand around there all you would see is a little clump of white dots. The only views would be on TV or from a boat.

The only people who would go down there to watch sailing from the shore either don't know the area or don't know sailing.

Then why the heck build a barrier ? If the view sucks, what purpose is served in restricting it ? "Mr. Gorbychev, tear down this wall...."

#21 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,620 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:25 AM

Hopefully some of you guys on the ground will check in with reports...

Yea, you could fly there, spend every daylight minute on the water blogging every tack and gybe and STILL some punter would say how bad your (free) coverage sucked...but still - I'd love to have you there to piss off SOMEBODY - bet you'd need the right passes THERE !

#22 Potter

Potter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:30 AM

They re not building a wall to block viewing that is just Urban Myth/ complete bollocks.
They are, however, fencing off the viewing area; so that it is accessed by people who paid to be there and so they cna have the best views of the big screen.
Then why the heck build a barrier ? If the view sucks, what purpose is served in restricting it ? "Mr. Gorbychev, tear down this wall...."

#23 Dino

Dino

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:59 AM

Does anyone have a BBC or Eurosport TV schedule for the Olympic sailing events? I've looked at the BBC Website and it seems very vague.

#24 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,670 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:12 PM

Yea, you could fly there, spend every daylight minute on the water blogging every tack and gybe

I don't recommend trying "on the water" unless you want to sample British prison food.

#25 (p)Irate

(p)Irate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:24 PM

Foxtel in Australia has 8 Olympic channels, one of which is Sailing (oh, and weightlifting).

#26 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,338 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:25 PM

Yea, you could fly there, spend every daylight minute on the water blogging every tack and gybe

I don't recommend trying "on the water" unless you want to sample British prison food.

I actually got some nice invitations to get out on the water from the London PR folks, who I guess know that sailing is always a bust internationally, and are trying to leverage SA to get some traffic for that part of the show. Might try to pop over after Farr 30 Worlds in Sweden, where we'll be from the 28th to the 6th.

#27 bye bye

bye bye

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:50 PM

Surprising to see they bought you off so easily Alan

#28 C Hawk

C Hawk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:52 PM

You got me interested in online options. I just downloaded the "LiveExtra" android app from Google Play. It installed fine, I put in my time warner cable id and I am watching the MSNBC simulcast right now, the soccer pregame. Quality is good. All sailing is also included in the schedule as one event per day. So I am assuming it is like the last Olympics where there is live coverage but limited. We'll see.

#29 Simon T

Simon T

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:55 AM

Does anyone have a BBC or Eurosport TV schedule for the Olympic sailing events? I've looked at the BBC Website and it seems very vague.

BBC have just added 48 Olympics channels to FreeSat, Sky, cable and iPlayer. 24 HD and 24 normal.

They made a promise to show every session of every event live with commentary.

#30 schakel

schakel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:14 PM

Anyone noticed the International newspapers about the superyacht that arive in West India Docks, Canary Wharf, London for the olympics?

Attached File  Abramovics Eclipse.jpg   114.8K   41 downloads

Attached File  mega-yacht-octopus-west india dock1.jpg   246.9K   27 downloads

Attached File  motor-yacht-favorita-west india dock.jpg   409.36K   27 downloads

Attached File  The+mega+rich+come+to+London+in+their+super+yaughts+including+The+Octopus+the+huge+ocean+liner+owned+by+Microsoft+co-founder+Paul+Allen.jpeg   38.28K   35 downloads

Attached File  West India Docks, Canary Wharf deutchland.jpg   181.96K   45 downloads

Nothing about sailing but...
Can't wait for the olympics to begin.
Opening ceremony in 7 hours
Sailing starts sunday 27 th...

#31 ADK

ADK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  • Interests:My ride: I-14

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:02 PM

Well, I just tried to sign up for NBC's "Live Extra" coverage - turns out that if you have Comcast, you have to have a minimum of their $70/month "Digital Starter" TV to be able to sign up. WTF?!

Sounds like I'll be looking for a pirated Eurosport feed like I do for most cycling events. Fortunately I can at least get the Canadian TV channels where I live. They have much better Olympic coverage anyway.

My already low opinion of both NBC and Comcast is dropping further!

#32 Hobie Dog

Hobie Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:17 PM

What you are not looking forward to NBC's outstanding coverage with the 50/50 ratio between content and commercials? The 80 hours of women's gymnastics coverage mixed in with riveting synchronized swimming and rhythmic gymnastics. I am shocked! :lol: Oh wait I forgot about Men's Diving!

Screw it I am going sailing and fishing all weekend!

Just tell me when Beach Volleyball is on...

#33 Schnick

Schnick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:28 PM

So far it looks like all CTV (Canada) has on line is a lot of previews for their TV shows. WTF - who watches regular TV! Especially during daytime when this is all taking place?

Edit, I did find a feed but it was not easy and it is not Firefox compatible, only IE. Again, WTF?

#34 ADK

ADK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  • Interests:My ride: I-14

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:21 PM

Sounds like CTV isn't making this easy either. At least when you do get their coverage, it's a lot better than the NBC crap that has about .01% focus on the actual event and 99.99% focus on turning everything into some "human interest" story whether it is (or matters) or not.

#35 USA190520

USA190520

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:16 AM

That's why no coverage.

they're sailing J29's in the Olympics?

#36 cosmicsedso

cosmicsedso

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • Interests:Boats and trees.

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:23 AM

That's why no coverage.

"Like"

#37 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,643 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:05 AM

That's why no coverage.

As they should be, douchebag!

#38 USA190520

USA190520

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:37 PM

Um, that'd be the Special Olympics, corky.

#39 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,643 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 04:26 PM

Um, that'd be the Special Olympics, corky.

Isn't that where your kid sails? B)

#40 USA190520

USA190520

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 04:32 PM

No kids, sadly your dog beat me up the stairs to your wife..

#41 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,643 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:12 PM

No kids, sadly your dog beat me up the stairs to your wife..

I thought my dog beat you up the stairs to your mother

#42 USA190520

USA190520

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:36 PM

now you're saying J29's can climb stairs?

c'mon....

#43 isma

isma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:49 PM

Not if Espo's driving. I have it on good authority they don't even let him play with the tiller at dock. The only time he's allowed to hold it is when it needs a fresh coat of varnish.

Espo: save the mother comment, she's been dead for years. Misspell another stupid insult.

#44 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,643 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:05 PM

Not if Espo's driving. I have it on good authority they don't even let him play with the tiller at dock. The only time he's allowed to hold it is when it needs a fresh coat of varnish.

Espo: save the mother comment, she's been dead for years. Misspell another stupid insult.

Didn't I tell you to go fuck you mother?

#45 USA190520

USA190520

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:32 PM

Didn't I tell you to go fuck you mother?

he's allergic to dust... Same reason no one sails j29's

Necrophilia.... It's a dead art

#46 gusmus

gusmus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:53 AM

Google " Expat shield" and download to get a UK IP and BBC IPlayer. BBC Website has the full schedule on its webpage. You'll need a decent connection of +2 megas to watch without bufferring on lower quality, anything above 2 megas will give you standard tv quality and HD. Cheers. It's free by the way but don't be tempted to pay for the high speed version which works on a US IP and won't give you the BBC IPlayer as it is UK only.

#47 bloodshot

bloodshot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Interests:the pointy end of the boat

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:34 AM

try http://www.sportlemon.tv/

watching the Finn race right now

#48 HHN92

HHN92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,933 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Baseball, Hot Dogs, Apple Pie & Chevrolets, History,1970 Chevelle SS

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:36 AM

OK, this coverage totally sucks. I have to register first before you can view the video. It does not accept my log-in, so I have to get a 'temporary' 4 hour pass. And then, there is a commercial every few minutes, one just now with some crying baby.

WTF???

edit: and you can hear commentary in the background, why not out loud???

WTF again.

#49 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,670 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:39 AM

There's great live coverage at http://www.bbc.co.uk...-video/p00w2tp7 . Don't know which countries can get this.

#50 bloodshot

bloodshot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:43 AM

There's great live coverage at http://www.bbc.co.uk...-video/p00w2tp7 . Don't know which countries can get this.

Americans can use that if you have "expatshield" installed, not sure about other countries

#51 gusmus

gusmus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:46 AM

You need Expat Shield if you're outside the UK.
When you load Expat wait until the first page loads and there is a video ad. Let it finish and then pause the video player. Now load the bbc page in another window and select IPlayer or BBC Sports.

#52 HHN92

HHN92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,933 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Baseball, Hot Dogs, Apple Pie & Chevrolets, History,1970 Chevelle SS

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:02 PM

There's the crying baby again......................no BMW in my house.

Did I say this coverage sucks?

It sucks.

#53 akasideshow

akasideshow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:03 PM

Google " Expat shield" and download to get a UK IP and BBC IPlayer. BBC Website has the full schedule on its webpage. You'll need a decent connection of +2 megas to watch without bufferring on lower quality, anything above 2 megas will give you standard tv quality and HD. Cheers. It's free by the way but don't be tempted to pay for the high speed version which works on a US IP and won't give you the BBC IPlayer as it is UK only.

thanks mate that was excellent

#54 bloodshot

bloodshot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:06 PM

looks like 25 minutes until the start of the Star fleet

#55 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,799 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:08 PM

Works like a charm, also from GER. Thanks mate!

#56 HHN92

HHN92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,933 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:13 PM

Works like a charm, also from GER. Thanks mate!

Alright, going to the laptop and expat shield.

#57 Terrorvision

Terrorvision

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,832 posts
  • Interests:Taking 'the' out of Psychotherapist

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:13 PM

You should be able to access VipBox anywhere in the world- I am currently watching the Hungarian Grand Prix live in HD for free.
There are a few ads that show up, but wait 30 seconds or so and you will see the 'X' in the corner change so when you hover over it a really small 'x' appears that you can click on to make it disappear.

#58 akasideshow

akasideshow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:33 PM

1343563605[/url]' post='3804654']
looks like 25 minutes until the start of the Star fleet

Looking pretty rough for the stars at the moment
Oh and fuck off, tits etc noob

#59 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,687 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:49 PM

watching the stream on NBC

i hear the announcer talking about a match race in progress, but the video isn't showing much of it

#60 HHN92

HHN92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,933 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:49 PM

Hey, Luigi is on scene running the show!

#61 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,687 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:53 PM

ok - i see that the spectators are seeing a different stream...

is the BBC stream different than the NBC stream?

#62 gusmus

gusmus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:58 PM

This is ridiculous. Hungarian GP on the tele, Sailing on the desktop. All I need now is a cycle race to start on the laptop and they'll have to lock me up in the friggin loony bin.

#63 bloodshot

bloodshot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:05 PM

You should be able to access VipBox anywhere in the world- I am currently watching the Hungarian Grand Prix live in HD for free.
There are a few ads that show up, but wait 30 seconds or so and you will see the 'X' in the corner change so when you hover over it a really small 'x' appears that you can click on to make it disappear.

VIP doesn't seem to be working for me. Sportlimon has the Star race now.

#64 Vorwaerts

Vorwaerts

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:29 PM

If you have a european IP you can watch pretty much every event here. The Stars are currently on Live feed 11.

Watching them rolling downwind makes me wonder why this dinosaur is still in the Olympics, they should have keept Matchracing with the Sonling instead. It looks just horrible how they go to leeward, using just their tiny jibs instead of some big kites.

#65 Vorwaerts

Vorwaerts

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:37 PM

Horrible downwind leg from Marazzi/De Maria they lost a lot of places on the left while Melleby/Pedersen stormed to second place on the right. Do we have anybody with local info, why is the right (looks to be the side towards the shore) paying, stream, wind?

#66 HHN92

HHN92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,933 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:39 PM

Horrible downwind leg from Marazzi/De Maria they lost a lot of places on the left while Melleby/Pedersen stormed to second place on the right. Do we have anybody with local info, why is the right (looks to be the side towards the shore) paying, stream, wind?

Ainslie made-up spots on the left in the Finn race.

#67 Vorwaerts

Vorwaerts

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:40 PM

Ainslie made-up spots on the left in the Finn race.

Right now it seems that the right is paying. The Norwegians are getting in front of the Germans by banging the right corner.

#68 Bill E Goat

Bill E Goat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:48 PM

A complete fucking disgrace, the British commentators have said "BEN AINSLIE" over a thousand times in this race and HAVE NOT MENTIONED ANY OTHER COMPETITOR only countries

ie Denmark leading over BEN AINSLIE

A fucking joke, I am surprised one of them doesn't jump on the commentator boat and threaten someone then dive off (or do we not mention that any more)

#69 Vorwaerts

Vorwaerts

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:57 PM

The French are on fire, they must have had a catastrophic start and rounded the first mark in last position and now after the second upwind they are leading. In general this upwind mixed the field quite a bit.

#70 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,670 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:59 PM

A complete fucking disgrace

So you are tuning into the British coverage and complaining they are mostly talking about British sailors? How about you tune in to coverage from your own country?

#71 frayedsheet

frayedsheet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:01 PM

wtf happened to brendan? they say he capsized and didnt finish!?!?!?!

#72 J24_4208

J24_4208

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:11 PM

The French are on fire, they must have had a catastrophic start and rounded the first mark in last position and now after the second upwind they are leading. In general this upwind mixed the field quite a bit.

Seems like the fleet turned upside down - Greece was a distant last, they went to 4th at the second weather, US was bottom third and came out good

#73 gusmus

gusmus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:12 PM

So you are tuning into the British coverage and complaining they are mostly talking about British sailors? How about you tune in to coverage from your own country?

+1
If you are watching from outside the uk on BBC then you are watching illegally so either watch your own coverage, or, Sit down, enjoy it, and STFU.

#74 mrpelicano

mrpelicano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Interests:Racing sailboats, bicycling (road and mtb), guitar, wine, travel, pit bulls.

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:17 PM

Scheidt made huge gains on the last downind leg to grab a 3rd place. That guy can plain sail. French were superb; talk about zeroes to heroes. :)

EDIT: Spoke too soon. Just saw the Race 1 results posted while they're in the sequence for Race 2. BRA wound up 4th, behind FRA, IRL, and GRE. Still, a terrific recovery. Beautiful sailing conditions today.

#75 Vorwaerts

Vorwaerts

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:19 PM

+1
If you are watching from outside the uk on BBC then you are watching illegally so either watch your own coverage, or, Sit down, enjoy it, and STFU.

Not exactly illegal, as long as you are in Europe, you can watch (legally) the coverage from each European station trough the page form the Eurovision. I wonder why they do not make advertise this service more. But as you state one should not wonder when the comment is biased for their own country. I would say this is completely natural.

#76 Bill E Goat

Bill E Goat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:20 PM

No we are stuck watching with idiot Pommie commentators who seem to think there is no one else but BEN FUCKING AINSLIE - nobody else has a name

Gus Fuck head Mus - there are other countries out there that show the game legally , just we get stuck with your biased Pommie commentary

#77 Vorwaerts

Vorwaerts

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:30 PM

Just below the player is a link called "Programm Guide", it lists which event is on the different live channels. But they do not have commentary. I did not yet find a good side which has informations on what is shown on the different national channels.

#78 mrpelicano

mrpelicano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Interests:Racing sailboats, bicycling (road and mtb), guitar, wine, travel, pit bulls.

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:30 PM

+1

Not exactly illegal, as long as you are in Europe, you can watch (legally) the coverage from each European station trough the page form the Eurovision. I wonder why they do not make advertise this service more. But as you state one should not wonder when the comment is biased for their own country. I would say this is completely natural.

Personally, I think it's great that Ben Ainslie is getting so much attention from the U.K. media. His incredible success in the Laser and Finn classes have made sailing much more visible and tangible to the general U.K. public, just as Ellen MacArthur's exploits in the Vendee Globe and her RTW record efforts did. We in the U.S. could only wish we had someone like that to generate broader appeal. Go Ben!

Having said that, Jonas Hogn-Christensen is sailing like a man possessed. The two of them smoked the fleet in Race 2.

#79 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,670 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:39 PM

just we get stuck with your biased Pommie commentary

Video is centrally provided, commentary is by national broadcasters. Same as it was for Beijing. You are watching the British commentary for a British audience, paid for by British households TV licence which everybody who owns a TV here has to pay. If you don't like it, go find a commentary from somewhere else.

#80 J24_4208

J24_4208

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:40 PM

wow that Pin end was ugly - Greece and USA screwed up and BRA only squeaked in !!!

#81 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,338 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:12 PM

Here's some sailing - 1:43:00 is the Finns.

http://www.justin.tv...tw8/b/326667663

#82 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,718 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:16 PM

The expat shield works great!

Also, the water is very clear over there! I always thought of it as dark and murky.

#83 cantp1

cantp1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • Interests:Sailing
    Skiing
    Squash

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:43 PM

Here's some sailing - 1:43:00 is the Finns.

http://www.justin.tv...tw8/b/326667663

Clean, 20 mins later that channel's already down!

Who know's which channel on Limontv??

Trying Xpat shield now...

#84 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,718 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:48 PM

Yea Brazil!!! They are from my continent!!

#85 Bull Gator

Bull Gator

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,280 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:54 PM

A sad example of the Texas public schools..

#86 Koukel

Koukel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:00 PM

Wow! 45 minutes to get on line, but this coverage is awesome! And by awesome I mean aerial footage, mark roundings, race graphics, on board f'n cameras and gun to gun coverage.

In all seriousness, super bummer if you can't wade through all the tech stuff or don't pay enough for TV.

Dogwatch, is this the most wrong you've ever been, or just today? Uh, good call Dogwatch.

Koukel

Attached Files

#87 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,718 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:04 PM

A sad example of the Texas public schools..

lol... it's all fuking AmeriKa to me u Ahole!!

#88 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,670 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:08 PM

Dogwatch, is this the most wrong you've ever been, or just today?

You seem to make a speciality of misunderstandings. What precise thing that I may have said did you misinterpret today? Glad you enjoyed it all anyhow.

#89 DAK

DAK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:12 PM

When do the 49ers sail and how do I see them?

#90 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,670 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:17 PM

When do the 49ers sail and how do I see them?

http://www.london2012.com/sailing/schedule-and-results/

As for how to see them, read this thread.

#91 Koukel

Koukel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:18 PM

Dogwatch, is this the most wrong you've ever been, or just today?

You seem to make a speciality of misunderstandings. What precise thing that I may have said did you misinterpret today?

Oh just my Karma. You are absolutely right and I was wrong. I went back and read your first post of the thread more carefully. I still think you're occasionally full of beans, but then clearly it takes one to know one.

Koukel

#92 Expatriated

Expatriated

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:24 PM

It's good the BBC works 'cos NBC don't have a clue. I never see a logon screen on http://www.nbcolympi...help/index.html
and I have a tv package from Verizon. So many US corporations are full of shit about how good they are but crap at actually doing anything right for themselves or their wripped off customers.

#93 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,338 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:18 PM

From Richard Langdon/Ocean Images. More at http://www.oceanimages.co.uk

Attached Files

#94 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,687 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:49 PM

The NBC streaming worked for me - they showed the two star races.

I have Cable Vision TV and internet service at home.

But, it appears that there is more than one sailing stream, and NBC just chooses one, and stays with it.

When the NBC stream was showing the spectators on the hillside, you could see the BBC (I think) programming on a big screen, and it seems that the BCC was switching between the different sailing feeds. They were also showing the match racing. Did they also show any Finn racing? I didn't see it on NBC.

Anyway, I will probably try the BBC.

#95 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,799 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:54 PM

The NBC streaming worked for me - they showed the two star races.

I have Cable Vision TV and internet service at home.

But, it appears that there is more than one sailing stream, and NBC just chooses one, and stays with it.

When the NBC stream was showing the spectators on the hillside, you could see the BBC (I think) programming on a big screen, and it seems that the BCC was switching between the different sailing feeds. They were also showing the match racing. Did they also show any Finn racing? I didn't see it on NBC.

Anyway, I will probably try the BBC.

They did. And they have Shirley Robertson doing the on the water commentary between and after the races.

#96 The Main Man

The Main Man

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:10 PM

The finish of that second Star race was amazing!

#97 DRIFTW00D

DRIFTW00D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,261 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:24 PM

Fuck the US broadcasters. I'm boycotting the Olympics on TV till they put MY SPORT on at 8PM every night.

Off to BBC land.

Posted ImageVideoLiveOlympics Day Two in Video

#98 knuckles

knuckles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:26 PM

I watched the first race of the Finns this morning on my iPad with the NBC Extra app. I have never seen Finn sailing before, and I don't think I'll watch it again with the unlimited pumping and rocking rule in effect.

The app was easy to setup, I just wish it had AirPlay so that I could push it over to the Apple TV. It's actually kinda nice, because it is only a video feed without commentators.

#99 Koukel

Koukel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:20 PM

I watched the first race of the Finns this morning on my iPad with the NBC Extra app. I have never seen Finn sailing before, and I don't think I'll watch it again with the unlimited pumping and rocking rule in effect.

The app was easy to setup, I just wish it had AirPlay so that I could push it over to the Apple TV. It's actually kinda nice, because it is only a video feed without commentators.

Yes and yes. No commentary is good commentary and holy crap batman; that's a lot of pumping for a bunch of men all by themselves.

Koukel

#100 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,718 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:49 PM

Who gives a fuk about that! Yes, it makes the boat go faster and yes its harder work. The harder you work at something, the better you are. Imagine that!? I'm not all that when comes to OD dinghy racing but I've RC'd large Laser events where everyone is rocking and rolling at the front of the fleet that included 2 Olympic sailors.... Imagine that. Fuk that 1 pump per wave bullshit... let 'em work as hard as possible and see who wins!!!! Pretty sure that's what competition is about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users