331 replies to this topic

#101 akasideshow

akasideshow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:15 AM

wtf happened to brendan? they say he capsized and didnt finish!?!?!?!

<br class="Apple-interchange-newline">Australia’s Brendan Casey had a mixed day on the water, being forced to retire from race one with boat damage but bouncing back well in race two to cross the line seventh.“I made an unforced error and capsized the boat,” said Casey. “While righting the boat deck and gunnel were pulled apart and it was filling with water. I had to retire from the race and prepare it for the next one.“We ‘Macgyvered’ the boat back together with a roll of duct tape and tried to get as much water out of it as possible, I then calmed myself down and tried to put a good race two together,” said. Casey was in third position for the early part of the race but lost some ground on the two downwind legs to finish seventh.The results leave Casey 16th overall after the opening two races, with races three and four scheduled for Monday.“Luckily it’s a long event, you can come back from this position, it’s a matter of scoring consistent results,” said Casey. “I’ve got one, a seventh, that’s fantastic, so we regroup tonight, let the shore team do their job and follow the normal routine, come down in the morning and get back into it.”
from the ast website
poor bugger not the time you want you boat to pull apart

#102 KiwiJoker

KiwiJoker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:37 AM

Here in NZ we're getting 40 minutes of daily highlight sailing coverage on Sky TV for all classes that day with voiceover by Peter Lester. Gives a great taste of what's happening but wish there were more.

The daily special email digest from www.sail-world.com is an excellent accompaniment. Super effort by RG and his team.

#103 Simon T

Simon T

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:26 AM

Watched the BBC coverage yesterday on one of the new channels. 6 hours, no interruptions, no adverts.

#104 Rhyddid

Rhyddid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Fishing, and Avoiding those who suck the life out of the room.......

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:34 AM

I to watched the BBC iPlayer coverage and was impressed with the ability to watch live sailing with VOR style shots from the air, on the water,and from the competitor's vessel.
The commentary was "dumbed down" for some of the non-sailing viewer's which didn't spoil it for me at least. That what the volume buttons for.
Plenty of places where you need not pay to watch on the Weymouth coast line. For my buddies not in the UK I suggested the great tip of expat-shield, which I hadn't heard of until this thread, just wish I had known about it sooner, having just return to Blighty after too many years overseas!

#105 gusmus

gusmus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:03 AM

I to watched the BBC iPlayer coverage and was impressed with the ability to watch live sailing with VOR style shots from the air, on the water,and from the competitor's vessel.
The commentary was "dumbed down" for some of the non-sailing viewer's which didn't spoil it for me at least. That what the volume buttons for.
Plenty of places where you need not pay to watch on the Weymouth coast line. For my buddies not in the UK I suggested the great tip of expat-shield, which I hadn't heard of until this thread, just wish I had known about it sooner, having just return to Blighty after too many years overseas!

I've used Expat Shield for quite some time here in Spain. It saves sodding around with sat dishes and Sky/Freeboxes etc. Just run an HDMI-DVI cable to the Tv and split your Computer screen output. My only mistake was to sign up and pay for the Expat Pro service with more bandwidth and no ads on startup. When I logged in I got zilch from the BBC but when I mailed Expat they apologised and explained that they were using US IP,s for the pro service and would return my money. 24 hours later and the money was refunded. That's what I call customer service.

#106 F15 AUS

F15 AUS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:29 AM

I might be blind, but I cant find the info for today's broadcast on the BBC channel (day 3)

Can anyone enlighten me?

#107 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,325 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:36 AM

I am pretty sure you can watch the 49ers right here in about 24 minutes.

http://www.eurovisio...l?video_id=1313

#108 Bill E Goat

Bill E Goat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:37 AM

I am pretty sure you can watch the 49ers right here in about 24 minutes.

http://www.eurovisio...l?video_id=1313

Time to turn on EXPAT SHIELD
Access Restrictions

The London 2012 Olympic Games video content on the European Broadcasting Union (EBU) streaming video portal may only be viewed in certain EBU territories as noted below:

Albania, Algeria, Armenian Republic, Austria, Azerbaijani Republic, Belgium, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark (Faroes, Greenland), Egypt, Estonia, Finland, France (Andorra, French Guyana, French Polynesia, Guadeloupe, La Reunion, Martinique, Mayotte, New Caledonia, St. Pierre and Miquelon, Terres Australes Françaises, Wallis and Futuna), Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Jordan, Latvia, Lebanon, Libya, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Monaco, Morocco, Netherlands, Netherlands Antilles (Bonaire, Curacao, Sint Maarten, Sint Eustatius, Saba), Aruba, Norway, Spitsbergen, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Belarus, Republic of Kazakhstan, Republic of Kyrgyzstan, Republic of Moldova, Republic of Tajikistan, Republic of Uzbekistan, Romania, Russia, San Marino, Serbia and Montenegro, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Andorra, Sweden, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Ukraine and the United Kingdom.

As we cannot confirm that you are accessing this service from within these territories we regret that you will be unable to view the content.

#109 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,325 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:49 AM

Sailing feed here: http://www.eurovisio...l?video_id=1304

Nothing happening yet.

Attached Files

#110 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,325 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:51 AM

Sounds like Hannah White on the microphone

#111 gusmus

gusmus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:55 AM

I might be blind, but I cant find the info for today's broadcast on the BBC channel (day 3)

Can anyone enlighten me?

If you select any sport and then select "Alternative player" it will come up with a list of all live broadcasts being transmitted at that moment. If not. Go to IPlayer and select BBC3. All sailing is being broadcast there today starting at 1200 BST.

#112 Bill E Goat

Bill E Goat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:03 AM

49er race 1 A whole pile of OCS and a few who weren't went back including the Australians

#113 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,325 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:08 AM

Erik and Trevor with a great beat! Denmark crushing

Attached Files

#114 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,325 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:11 AM

Mark 2 update:

Attached Files

#115 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,325 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:21 AM

Looked away for five minutes and USA spit out the back? WTF.

This is what I was watching. How to get 3 million views in four days with crap editing and good lookin' athletes...

http://http://www.yo...h?v=YPIA7mpm1wU

#116 sailingkid

sailingkid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
  • Interests:Moths, A-Cats, speed, efficiency

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:23 AM

Is there any way to watch this in Australia? At all? Discraceful effort by channel 9...

#117 sucky bus

sucky bus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:26 AM

Here is the link, sailing on now on BBC3, all FREE

http://tvpc.com/Chan...?ChannelID=9618

The greed shown by the IOC is disgusting, a bunch of cunts who can't even be bothered to turn up..

Then again most Olympians apart from the aussies are junkies or freaks

:D

#118 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,325 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:26 AM

France gets the big lefty to go into the lead. Crowd going wild!

Attached Files

#119 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,325 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:29 AM

Photo finish!

Attached Files

#120 sailingkid

sailingkid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:30 AM

Thankyou, legend!

#121 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,325 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:30 AM

Nate O gets smoked. GBR smoked.

#122 sailingkid

sailingkid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:34 AM

Nathan was over the start? Hopefully he comes back!

#123 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,325 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:37 AM

Results R 1

http://www.london201...20730-115523433

#124 Bill E Goat

Bill E Goat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:38 AM

Nathan O Smoked - OCS goes back and still gets 8th - get your hand off it

#125 PurplePrincess

PurplePrincess

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:47 AM

The IOC has really screwed it up when it comes to Sailing coverage for the Games purely on the basis of commercial interests and broadcasting rights!!

Sure I can understand that to a certain extent but seriously!

Apologies....rant about to begin :angry: But some good links do follow :)

What's the go when the IOC overides a sports governing body (ISAF) to be able to provide the one piece of technology - online TRACKING, that has been developed so well at numerous races & regattas over the years across the world with National Ocean Races, major One Design Regattas and the ISAF Worlds in Perth 2011 for all Olympic Classes (let alone mention the AC & Volvo)? One of the biggest things that has united sailors around the world over in watching their sport that we've now been denied of....online tracking. I can't believe that the IOC has said to ISAF & all of us that they can't even provide the ability to online tracking? Geez, we all know at times it's like grass growing for TV but don't they know...short course race online trackers even more important at this level...who's crossing who...who round the marks etc etc. I think I need to find an IOC contact to complain to!

And so...

Down here in Aus the designated broadcasters are Nine MSN (free to air and maybe we’ll get a couple of minutes when it comes to the Medal races) OR Foxtel (Pay TV....yes,there’s a dedicated sailing channel – if you want to subscribe to a 6mth contract at min $60-$70 per month...to watch sailing for 2 weeks!)

So the best I came up with last night was:

ISAF London 2012 Home Page

From there....I opened up:

Live Blog
Results Centre

Live Blog - Mark Chisnell & Sarah Roberts did a fantastic job of updating what was happening on the race course last night (Aus time) and responding to questions asked about what was happening on the race course once they’d received feedback from the water.

Results Centre – Click on the class/race and you’ll get wind speed/direction for each mark and rounding times for each competitor at each mark.

Also under Results in the Main Menu of the Home Page…..don’t forget to click on Notice to Competitors….it shows all the Notices to Competitors (go figure….hahaha:) some of which are good reading for the serious sailor that wants to really know what’s going on….. but for those that just want to watch… under “Affects” look for Schedule and click on “View” at the right hand side…it not only lists the schedule of racing for the day but if you scroll to the very bottom it shows “Races scheduled to be filmed live are” and if there are any onboard cameras & which boats.

I also downloaded the London 2012 Results app for my phone (I’m on android but saw the others avail). Was able to set up under My Games my favourites (most importantly the fleets) to go to quickly and although not exactly live (was checking against ISAF site) was still providing a list of Mark roundings during the fleet races.

How ridiculous is it that last night (because I don’t pay money to watch TV) was unable to watch any of the live coverage of sailing in the Olympics, unable to access any online streaming or unable view any online tracking ability because of the IOC.....

Yet, because I was unable to do the Gold Coast race this year I was still able in another couple of windows to the Games be able to watch other mates with tracking, standings & google earth (updated every 10mins!) whilst watching the live blog & mark roundings of Finns, WMR & Star from Weymouth.....OK, call me a tragic (but to my defence I did have the F1 on the TV! ;)

Enjoy the links...and if anyone has any ideas down here in AUS re picking up online feeds please pass on (has any Aussie SA’er tried the Expat Shield thing mentioned earlier in the thread?)

Apologies for the long post...there I was stuck at home sick for the weekend with a lot of mates out playing or about to (Southport & Games)I just wanted/needed to watch...thus the research on the games links.

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE :)

PP

#126 fogmachine

fogmachine

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Interests:Stirring things up from the poop deck.

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:47 AM

Wonder what happened to the Frogs? They told the RC they're making a quick run back to shore; next start is in 13 minutes will be interesting to see if they get back.

#127 Terrorvision

Terrorvision

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,832 posts
  • Interests:Taking 'the' out of Psychotherapist

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:59 AM

Anyone got the 49er 2nd race showing yet?

#128 L0kiSc0t

L0kiSc0t

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:sailing

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:02 PM

Anyone got the 49er 2nd race showing yet?

Starting in a few mins

Anybody who wants some live coverage not in the uk - try expatshield . com (download and install) and then go to the bbc . co .uk website to get live sailing coverage.

#129 Bill E Goat

Bill E Goat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:03 PM

The IOC has really screwed it up when it comes to Sailing coverage for the Games purely on the basis of commercial interests and broadcasting rights!!

Sure I can understand that to a certain extent but seriously!

Apologies....rant about to begin :angry: But some good links do follow :)

What's the go when the IOC overides a sports governing body (ISAF) to be able to provide the one piece of technology - online TRACKING, that has been developed so well at numerous races & regattas over the years across the world with National Ocean Races, major One Design Regattas and the ISAF Worlds in Perth 2011 for all Olympic Classes (let alone mention the AC & Volvo)? One of the biggest things that has united sailors around the world over in watching their sport that we've now been denied of....online tracking. I can't believe that the IOC has said to ISAF & all of us that they can't even provide the ability to online tracking? Geez, we all know at times it's like grass growing for TV but don't they know...short course race online trackers even more important at this level...who's crossing who...who round the marks etc etc. I think I need to find an IOC contact to complain to!

And so...

Down here in Aus the designated broadcasters are Nine MSN (free to air and maybe we'll get a couple of minutes when it comes to the Medal races) OR Foxtel (Pay TV....yes,there's a dedicated sailing channel – if you want to subscribe to a 6mth contract at min $60-$70 per month...to watch sailing for 2 weeks!)

So the best I came up with last night was:

ISAF London 2012 Home Page

From there....I opened up:

Live Blog
Results Centre

Live Blog - Mark Chisnell & Sarah Roberts did a fantastic job of updating what was happening on the race course last night (Aus time) and responding to questions asked about what was happening on the race course once they'd received feedback from the water.

Results Centre – Click on the class/race and you'll get wind speed/direction for each mark and rounding times for each competitor at each mark.

Also under Results in the Main Menu of the Home Page…..don't forget to click on Notice to Competitors….it shows all the Notices to Competitors (go figure….hahaha:) some of which are good reading for the serious sailor that wants to really know what's going on….. but for those that just want to watch… under "Affects" look for Schedule and click on "View" at the right hand side…it not only lists the schedule of racing for the day but if you scroll to the very bottom it shows "Races scheduled to be filmed live are" and if there are any onboard cameras & which boats.

I also downloaded the London 2012 Results app for my phone (I'm on android but saw the others avail). Was able to set up under My Games my favourites (most importantly the fleets) to go to quickly and although not exactly live (was checking against ISAF site) was still providing a list of Mark roundings during the fleet races.

How ridiculous is it that last night (because I don't pay money to watch TV) was unable to watch any of the live coverage of sailing in the Olympics, unable to access any online streaming or unable view any online tracking ability because of the IOC.....

Yet, because I was unable to do the Gold Coast race this year I was still able in another couple of windows to the Games be able to watch other mates with tracking, standings & google earth (updated every 10mins!) whilst watching the live blog & mark roundings of Finns, WMR & Star from Weymouth.....OK, call me a tragic (but to my defence I did have the F1 on the TV! ;)

Enjoy the links...and if anyone has any ideas down here in AUS re picking up online feeds please pass on (has any Aussie SA'er tried the Expat Shield thing mentioned earlier in the thread?)

Apologies for the long post...there I was stuck at home sick for the weekend with a lot of mates out playing or about to (Southport & Games)I just wanted/needed to watch...thus the research on the games links.

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE :)

PP

PP Go get Expat Shield at anchorfree.com then you can pretend your british and it gives you a UK IP address then go to http://www.bbc.co.uk...p00w2wkf?mode=1 and watch everything live, 2nd race of the 49's just startd.

Only problem is you hear the UK commentators (did I say Ben Ainslie, even in classes he isn't sailing in)

#130 Terrorvision

Terrorvision

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,832 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:05 PM

PP Go get Expat Shield at anchorfree.com then you can pretend your british and it gives you a UK IP address then go to http://www.bbc.co.uk...p00w2wkf?mode=1 and watch everything live, 2nd race of the 49's just startd.

Only problem is you hear the UK commentators (did I say Ben Ainslie, even in classes he isn't sailing in)

Jeez- get over it. I'm not a Pom either but I'm happy for the British commentators to talk about a British sailor when I'm hacking into their coverage!

#131 DRIFTW00D

DRIFTW00D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:06 PM

The expat shield works great!

How do I block the banner that came with it?

#132 L0kiSc0t

L0kiSc0t

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:07 PM

Another port start for the British, they like the right hand side.

#133 L0kiSc0t

L0kiSc0t

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:09 PM

pay for it?

or just press the 'x' and close it?

#134 trucdesign

trucdesign

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • Interests:designing,building and sailing fast nice looking boats
    dancing sweet reggae music

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:12 PM

Link please?

#135 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,325 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:15 PM

Nathan fucking wears down the Portos and takes the lead!

Attached Files

#136 L0kiSc0t

L0kiSc0t

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:18 PM

Link please?

http://www.bbc.co.uk...-video/p00w2wkf

using www.expatshield.com

#137 Terrorvision

Terrorvision

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,832 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:23 PM

If you are using Firefox you can also download the Stealth add-on which you can use to select a UK IP and stream BBC or the Eurovision link that Clean gave.

#138 gusmus

gusmus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:25 PM

pay for it?

Use the X to close it. DON'T pay or you'll be given a US IP which WON'T work for BBC coverage

#139 mezaire

mezaire

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:30 PM

Well done Nath and Goobs. lookis like the Danish could be their biggest threat.

#140 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,325 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:31 PM

And holds on for a sweet victory. half a knot faster downwind than anyone on the course...sick work.

#141 knuckles

knuckles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:32 PM

These 49'ers look great on TV. Not having a running commentary on top of it is priceless. NBC's website is working well here in the USA this morning.

All served up via YouTube at 1080.

#142 DRIFTW00D

DRIFTW00D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:46 PM

pay for it?

Use the X to close it. DON'T pay or you'll be given a US IP which WON'T work for BBC coverage

Come on Guss what
teck magic kills the adds fo free? What magic add on u running?

#143 gusmus

gusmus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:00 PM

pay for it?

Come on Guss what teck magic kills the adds fo free? What magic add on u running?

Nothing. The loading page can be closed after the app is running but the banner ad will appear every time you open or refresh a new page. Either ignore it or click the X to close it.

#144 knuckles

knuckles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:02 PM

The folks that are sitting on the Nothe....are they paying 50 quid to sit on the lawn and watch the big screen from there?

#145 Sailing My Cubicle

Sailing My Cubicle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:04 PM

Can't seem to stream on the web off the nbc site so am watching it via the nbc app on my phone. Have the phone tucked underneath my monitor at work.

Be nice to have some commentary via the app.

#146 mezaire

mezaire

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:13 PM

This BBC commentary is fast making me hope that Ainslie and Goodeson don't even make the medal race!!

#147 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,643 posts
  • Interests:Racing in all forms.

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:30 PM

The folks that are sitting on the Nothe....are they paying 50 quid to sit on the lawn and watch the big screen from there?

£35 mostly. They have a view over the innermost course.

#148 Bill E Goat

Bill E Goat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:32 PM

This BBC commentary is fast making me hope that Ainslie and Goodeson don't even make the medal race!!

Give Ben a loave and some fishes and he could feed the poor bastards who blew £35 to sit on a hill

#149 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:39 PM

Right now

#150 sailman

sailman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,778 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:50 PM

I watched the first race of the Finns this morning on my iPad with the NBC Extra app. I have never seen Finn sailing before, and I don't think I'll watch it again with the unlimited pumping and rocking rule in effect.

The app was easy to setup, I just wish it had AirPlay so that I could push it over to the Apple TV. It's actually kinda nice, because it is only a video feed without commentators.

Who gives a fuk about that! Yes, it makes the boat go faster and yes its harder work. The harder you work at something, the better you are. Imagine that!? I'm not all that when comes to OD dinghy racing but I've RC'd large Laser events where everyone is rocking and rolling at the front of the fleet that included 2 Olympic sailors.... Imagine that. Fuk that 1 pump per wave bullshit... let 'em work as hard as possible and see who wins!!!! Pretty sure that's what competition is about.

Then why not modify the boat's foils, sails and rig so that you get more out of skulling and rocking, lets forget about using wind and just beef up the sailors to work the mechanics of the boat rather than worrying about a silly thing like using wind to power a sail boat. Just turn them all into windsurfers and pump continuously. Posted Image

#151 Manfred

Manfred

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • Interests:Sailing DN on hard water and all sorts of boats on soft water

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:36 PM

Thanks for giving a good and stable link.
And what a race to watch: Finn Race nr.3.
Is it only my gut feeling that the fleet seems to "kind of" dislike BA and works against him?
OK, this is Anarchy and therefore aloud to question.
Smooth watching everyone!

GO JONAS GO!
what a great race again you showed us!

#152 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,325 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:39 PM

Linky?

#153 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,325 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:44 PM

ahhforget it. I'm in europe, NBC has a problem with it.

#154 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,325 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:47 PM

Well the "Great Dane" is fucked. Had to spin a penalty at the start

#155 Landlocked

Landlocked

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:13 PM

I watched the first race of the Finns this morning on my iPad with the NBC Extra app. I have never seen Finn sailing before, and I don't think I'll watch it again with the unlimited pumping and rocking rule in effect.

The app was easy to setup, I just wish it had AirPlay so that I could push it over to the Apple TV. It's actually kinda nice, because it is only a video feed without commentators.

Who gives a fuk about that! Yes, it makes the boat go faster and yes its harder work. The harder you work at something, the better you are. Imagine that!? I'm not all that when comes to OD dinghy racing but I've RC'd large Laser events where everyone is rocking and rolling at the front of the fleet that included 2 Olympic sailors.... Imagine that. Fuk that 1 pump per wave bullshit... let 'em work as hard as possible and see who wins!!!! Pretty sure that's what competition is about.

Then why not modify the boat's foils, sails and rig so that you get more out of skulling and rocking, lets forget about using wind and just beef up the sailors to work the mechanics of the boat rather than worrying about a silly thing like using wind to power a sail boat. Just turn them all into windsurfers and pump continuously. Posted Image

I agree with Dave K. Having also sailed in many larger Laser regattas in the past (OK way past) I spent more time trying to figure out how not to rock since there were all sorts of ignorant sailors in the back of the fleet screaming “your rocking” and there was no recourse other than to try to quell the natural action of the waves on the boats and fall further behind the leaders. Small one person boats like the laser and Finn are prime boats for allowing kinetics in my opinion. It makes the sailing more fun for the competitor and I think a little more exciting for the spectator. Lets face it "lump on the log" (read no kinetics) sailing is not a spectator event in any way. Watching rocking, rolling, ooching, and pumping to keep the boats going over 10kts downwind is a lot more exciting than listening to sea lawyers screaming rules at each other.

#156 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,094 posts
  • Interests:...pimping HOOTs
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:21 PM

...am I missing something?? :unsure:
...don't see -anything- 'bout Expat shield at the anchorfree site :unsure:

#157 SemiSalt

SemiSalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,488 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:24 PM

It makes the sailing more fun for the competitor and I think a little more exciting for the spectator.

It looks like a great venu. No waiting around for a breath of breeze.

[Watching Finns] The wave action looks tough with waves coming from two directions, neither directly from windward. It looks like the bigger waves are nearly parallel to the port tack course, and nearly directly ahead on starboard. My back hurts just watching the boats jump out of the water.

Oops! Capsize!

#158 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,325 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:28 PM

That finn course is really freakin' long for such li'l boats

#159 Bill Roue

Bill Roue

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:43 PM

Fucked? Don't think so. He's back from the 20s to 7th so far.

Lotsa race left.

#160 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,681 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:54 PM

I am using the expat shield to watch BBC, but the video quality is not so great.

NBC was 1080P

am I missing something?

I don't see any option for a HD stream on BBC

#161 the loose cannon

the loose cannon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:55 PM

Fucked? Don't think so. He's back from the 20s to 7th so far.

Lotsa race left.

Ben is going to shoot himself for letting the great dane get past him after hitting the committee boat.

Sucks being him.

#162 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,708 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:57 PM

There's great live coverage at http://www.bbc.co.uk...-video/p00w2tp7 . Don't know which countries can get this.

You need Expat Shield if you're outside the UK.
When you load Expat wait until the first page loads and there is a video ad. Let it finish and then pause the video player. Now load the bbc page in another window and select IPlayer or BBC Sports.

I went to this same link this morning and it isn't live, it's recorded!

Anyone know why??

#163 srdela

srdela

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Many

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:02 PM

I bought a virtual server in london/england and I'm using it for a proxy to watch BBC link :)

It's going to be very hard to beat that Dane! He managed to pass majority in fleet and land on 7 spot. Now that's some good sailing!

#164 gusmus

gusmus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:09 PM

There's great live coverage at http://www.bbc.co.uk...-video/p00w2tp7 . Don't know which countries can get this.

You need Expat Shield if you're outside the UK.
When you load Expat wait until the first page loads and there is a video ad. Let it finish and then pause the video player. Now load the bbc page in another window and select IPlayer or BBC Sports.

I went to this same link this morning and it isn't live, it's recorded!

Anyone know why??

Just go to www.bbc.co.uk and select olympics 2012

#165 knuckles

knuckles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:40 PM

Linky?

The embedded player on the NBC Olympics site is YouTube, and lets you select the resolution. I imagine that it's locked up pretty tight, since you are supposed to select your 'local distribution partner' (i.e. cable or satellite provider).

#166 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,931 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:36 PM

The scene on the beach in Weymouth - unlike the Nothe, this is free, but you can't really see any of the courses from there.

Posted Image

And, completely unrelated, apart from the Olympic connection.... diver's faces, mid dive. At least we now know what their sex/taking a dump faces are like.

Posted Image

#167 ludeen

ludeen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:58 PM

Annalise Murphy [ireland] two bullets in laser radial, matt and Ryan going well in 49er,
peter oleary & david burrows lying 2nd after 2 races, Great start for the Irish team. ;)

L.

#168 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,325 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:27 PM

Linky?

The embedded player on the NBC Olympics site is YouTube, and lets you select the resolution. I imagine that it's locked up pretty tight, since you are supposed to select your 'local distribution partner' (i.e. cable or satellite provider).

Thanks for the explanation. Eurosport player is OK - quality is mediocre (480p) and no commentary, but good shots.

#169 DAK

DAK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:29 PM

I agree with Dave K. Having also sailed in many larger Laser regattas in the past (OK way past) I spent more time trying to figure out how not to rock since there were all sorts of ignorant sailors in the back of the fleet screaming “your rocking” and there was no recourse other than to try to quell the natural action of the waves on the boats and fall further behind the leaders. Small one person boats like the laser and Finn are prime boats for allowing kinetics in my opinion. It makes the sailing more fun for the competitor and I think a little more exciting for the spectator. Lets face it "lump on the log" (read no kinetics) sailing is not a spectator event in any way. Watching rocking, rolling, ooching, and pumping to keep the boats going over 10kts downwind is a lot more exciting than listening to sea lawyers screaming rules at each other.

Not sure how it effects sailing as i've never seen finn's race, but I find windsurfing pretty boring as it seems like a pumping contest. Maybe I just don't understand windsurfing... that's also entirely possible.

#170 magnum

magnum

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:25 PM

Perhaps already mentioned but this works. Live coverage and replay.

http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/london2012/index.html

On the first bar click 4x at the right side and then click on the 'sailing' button

Then select the bottom half of the page the '49'er button of today and you will first get the coverage of the 49´ers and than of today's Finn !!! race 3 & 4

Race 4 part from the DEN getting fucked at the start also the FIN Finn capsizing in 1st postion at the rounding at the 1st downwind mark.

Attached Files

#171 magnum

magnum

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:02 PM

First I thought, hell he can´t stand the pressure of a 100+ yard lead but the real problem I think is the red chopper no 2 in the 2nd picture 00finn..png.

Backwinding the main in a critical situation....

Attached File  00finn boat tipping over.png   223.6K   51 downloads

Attached File  01finn boat tipping over.png   229.27K   51 downloads

#172 uncorrected

uncorrected

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Interacting with other sailors!

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:34 PM

From where I am, hardly the center of connectivity, the bbc tells me (rather sternly) that I am not permitted to view from my area. Eurovisionsports.tv tells me the same thing, but with greater Gallic manners and forbearance. ie a long list of countries where I could see it, if only I didn't live in Tanzania...

#173 viva la figa

viva la figa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:42 PM

How do I find the Star coverage???? is there any???

#174 Goonda

Goonda

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:51 PM

How do I find the Star coverage???? is there any???

I saw part of a star race yesterday on the NBC website, so there is some coverage out there.

#175 skiffsailor_aus

skiffsailor_aus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:sailing, photography, tall-ships

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:43 PM

I'm also having trouble viewing those links, but will try again when I get home. Our free-to-air coverage here is pathetic. I can't believe a horse walking around in a square for ten minutes & therefore getting a great score (???) can be more interesting & less confusing than sailing.

Go the Aussie boys & girls!! Doing well do far from the tiny bit of coverage I've managed to find.

#176 View from the back

View from the back

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:29 PM

I just went to nbcolympics.com, clicked on Find a Sport, clicked on sailing, and just watched the Finn prelims. Not the easiest site to navigate, but it works, and, well, its all we have.

#177 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:07 AM

Report on NPR news this pm on how NBC made big promises for internet coverage, and how for any viewing that the problems I and many of you have are universal, like not recognizing your user and login id.

Big Fail.

#178 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,094 posts
  • Interests:...pimping HOOTs
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:12 AM

...mannn I tried NBC,but canadians are jammed,
,,,tried CTV in canada,the official carrier,and don't get CRAP :angry:

...what pisspoor coverage,,,and unlike the VOR yer jus'know they don't give a damn <_<

#179 NorCalLaser

NorCalLaser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:43 AM

anybody else having issues logging in with their comcast/xfinity email/pw ?

#180 bowchow

bowchow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:18 AM

So if we don't subscribe to any cable we're not gonna be watching anything

#181 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:22 AM

So if we don't subscribe to any cable we're not gonna be watching anything

Yep

#182 Evo

Evo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:35 AM

Todays Finn races were hilariously commentated by the gushing BBC. (BigBenCorporation?) Who are those blokes? Firstly the video feed wasn't on Ben Ignslie yet they kept talking up how he was making a comeback. In the first race the right was obviously favored yet these two kept rattling on about Ben while he was being creamed on the left. The rationale as to how it would unfold on the final run was plain comedy and fantasy. Poor old Dan Slater was being called the Kiwi bloke and hardly mentioned while most of the video was of him.

Let's not go into the second race but I'm hooked.....these fellas commentating are so cringe-worthy it's becoming unmissable entertainment.

#183 synoptic

synoptic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:08 AM

Has anyone been able to view any of the Women's Match Racing yet? Are any matches televised?

#184 Bill E Goat

Bill E Goat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:21 AM

I reckon they think he can walk on water - hold on he did in Perth

#185 Mischief Racing

Mischief Racing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:49 AM

Definately sick of the "we are in love with ben" commentry, there are so many other's on the course. Also happens on the laser fleet coverage, "Goodison this & Goodison that" even when they are at the tail end of the fleet.

#186 srdela

srdela

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:14 AM

Todays Finn races were hilariously commentated by the gushing BBC. (BigBenCorporation?) Who are those blokes? Firstly the video feed wasn't on Ben Ignslie yet they kept talking up how he was making a comeback. In the first race the right was obviously favored yet these two kept rattling on about Ben while he was being creamed on the left. The rationale as to how it would unfold on the final run was plain comedy and fantasy. Poor old Dan Slater was being called the Kiwi bloke and hardly mentioned while most of the video was of him.

Let's not go into the second race but I'm hooked.....these fellas commentating are so cringe-worthy it's becoming unmissable entertainment.

Hahaha.
Indeed, looking forward to today's commentary.

Go Vasilij and Ivan!

#187 Evo

Evo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:45 AM

When and if there's a comeback (or second coming) the commentary WILL be that of epic humor! Ya just wouldn't want to run the blue light over it.

Great regatta already

#188 HandleyR

HandleyR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:14 AM

I got to see some of the 1st day Star and Finn racing. Sorry to say it but I sort of got bored watching the Stars trundle downwind. Only a couple of boats at the marks watching. It really is hard to make sailing interesting to watch. Maybe the Olympics should be picking boats that are interesting to watch on TV. Can't wait for the 49ers or maybe the boards.

#189 Evo

Evo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:15 AM

49'ers have started. you're late

#190 Terrorvision

Terrorvision

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,832 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:28 AM

I got to see some of the 1st day Star and Finn racing. Sorry to say it but I sort of got bored watching the Stars trundle downwind. Only a couple of boats at the marks watching. It really is hard to make sailing interesting to watch. Maybe the Olympics should be picking boats that are interesting to watch on TV. Can't wait for the 49ers or maybe the boards.

They are official boats- the public aren't allowed out on the race course.

#191 srdela

srdela

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:39 AM

Replays:

http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/london2012/index.html

#192 srdela

srdela

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:00 AM

No live stream of sailing on BBC today?

#193 frayedsheet

frayedsheet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:41 AM

I can't believe a horse walking around in a square for ten minutes & therefore getting a great score (???) can be more interesting & less confusing than sailing.

Go the Aussie boys & girls!! Doing well do far from the tiny bit of coverage I've managed to find.

hahahahha well said, so true

#194 srdela

srdela

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:57 AM

Link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/2012/live-video/p00w2xt4

PS:
Ben A. was mentioned 10 times already :D

#195 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,643 posts
  • Interests:Racing in all forms.

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:03 AM

You were an hour early!

#196 tacksea

tacksea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:05 AM

Don't know if anybody mentioned this:
Www.sport lemon.tv

#197 Bill E Goat

Bill E Goat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:16 AM

Any 49'r coverage anywhere ?

#198 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,931 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:19 AM

Not specifically 49ers, but worth following:
https://twitter.com/gaelpawson

https://twitter.com/dailysail_james

#199 sailingkid

sailingkid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:32 AM

http://www.london201...9903/index.html gives you reasonable updates on the 49ers, no footage though

#200 Bill E Goat

Bill E Goat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:42 AM

There must be an issue with the tracker on BEN AINSLIE as its unlikely he would be going backwards ie from 3rd to 5th

Great commentary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users