331 replies to this topic

#301 Bill E Goat

Bill E Goat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,549 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:04 AM

Couldn't find a mac equivalent of expat shield.

Found My Expat Network.

Did cost me $7 for the month ..... but I am able to watch all the races and any other sports on BBC iplayer after dowloading. (cost of a couple of beers.)

Need to stop it after the month or they keep charging you monthly.

The only sailing on free networks are a few capsizes!!!

I would love to say typical Mac user paying through the nose for hardware and software - but I won't

Glad you found a way to join us in breaking down the oligopoly that is Olympics broadcasting

For those that want to see what it is all about and corruption in FIFA check out Andrew Jennings website

Andrew Jennings

#302 shaneo

shaneo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • Interests:racing multis

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:57 AM

lazers start in 15 mins

#303 Cavandish

Cavandish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:27 AM

still waiting for the BBC feed to load...i think the Poms have the bandwidth entirly spent.

#304 Tony-F18

Tony-F18

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:59 PM

still waiting for the BBC feed to load...i think the Poms have the bandwidth entirly spent.

Does this work?
http://www.usagoals....vivo/tv/gratis/

#305 European Bloke

European Bloke

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:10 PM

PC support boys have just put a sound card in my work machine. 30 seconds of that commentary is more than enough...

#306 viva la figa

viva la figa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:39 PM

where can I find a list of races and the video to go with it....all i can find is video of the opening series....want to watch the star finn and match racing!!!! Why is it so damn hard to find....no wonder there is no viewership...no one can find it!

#307 gusmus

gusmus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:49 AM

Found this on my travels. http://www.newyorker...s-coverage.html.
Rather good I thought.

#308 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,258 posts
  • Interests:Racing in all forms.

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:09 AM

.all i can find is video of the opening series....

"opening series" seems to mean everything before the medal race.

#309 John Ball

John Ball

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:57 PM

To find the current racing. . .this works for me.

After starting the IP link, click on the link you have. Then look for the yellow bar near the op that says LIVE.

On the right end, click on OLYMPIC SPORTS and then click on SAILING.

On the next screen, scroll to the BLUE tab and click on LIVE and then click to start.

John

#310 cosmicsedso

cosmicsedso

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Interests:Boats and trees.

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:24 PM

Install www.expatshield.com and you'll get a British IP address that allows you to access BBC and Eurovision.

Yes, this works for me though a brother in computer programming advises that there have been issues to consider, such as this one. Since I don't do on-line banking or anything else serious on my chosen PC, I can't verify that it's a problem in fact.

It was nice catching up on stuff last night as the athletes slept soundly, from the Eurovision feed.

Thanks for the info and message mate.
I did download the expat shield and thanks to all the advice to keep trying, I was able to watch 2 Olympic Womens 470 races and some match racing as well yesterday.
Expat shield works but I sure wouldnt put it on any PC I care about.
The constant buffering and inane commentary are worth the effort. Is the buffering normal or is it my slow ADSL link
Thanks again

#311 gusmus

gusmus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:01 AM

Install www.expatshield.com and you'll get a British IP address that allows you to access BBC and Eurovision.

Yes, this works for me though a brother in computer programming advises that there have been issues to consider, such as this one. Since I don't do on-line banking or anything else serious on my chosen PC, I can't verify that it's a problem in fact.

It was nice catching up on stuff last night as the athletes slept soundly, from the Eurovision feed.

Thanks for the info and message mate.
I did download the expat shield and thanks to all the advice to keep trying, I was able to watch 2 Olympic Womens 470 races and some match racing as well yesterday.
Expat shield works but I sure wouldnt put it on any PC I care about.
The constant buffering and inane commentary are worth the effort. Is the buffering normal or is it my slow ADSL link
Thanks again

Slow adsl will likely be your problem. You really need a min of 2 megas for BBC IPlayer to run reasonably smoothly and don't forget that Expat uses a little bit of that in making the proxy connections so probably 2.5 is more realistic.

#312 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,258 posts
  • Interests:Racing in all forms.

Posted 05 August 2012 - 05:27 AM

Is the buffering normal or is it my slow ADSL link

iPlayer works well for me and I can't get a very fast connection in the sticks where I live. Internet connection between GBR and AUS can be slow. At work we once cloned a web server to AUS for staff there because accessing the GBR server was too slow.

#313 gusmus

gusmus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:24 AM

iPlayer works well for me and I can't get a very fast connection in the sticks where I live. Internet connection between GBR and AUS can be slow. At work we once cloned a web server to AUS for staff there because accessing the GBR server was too slow.

I've found it great here in Spain but I have a minimum 3,5 megas adsl so that makes a difference. Mind you, it still buffers from time to time for maybe 3 or 4 secs but I can live with that. Tell you what though. Apart from the obvious Ben A bias on the BBC, as is their right, this has been the best sailing coverage I've ever seen online in any event and take my hat off to the care and attention that has gone into the coverage. Very impressed and can only hope that other future events follow suit. With advertising to cover revenue, I see no reason at all why this type of coverage (central video feed, onboard cameras, knowlegable commentary, and computer graphics etc,) cannot be the norm for international events. The audience is there and willing to watch, it just seems that the TV companies are not willing to listen.

#314 Evo

Evo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:42 PM

what a race!! The Brits unlucky....well done the Swedes!! Flawless

Percy is gutted yet still a gentleman. Class act

#315 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,538 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:00 PM

what a race!! The Brits unlucky....well done the Swedes!! Flawless

Percy is gutted yet still a gentleman. Class act

I agree about him being a gentleman, but not so much about the luck part.

Yes, it's difficult to cover two boats, but I think it was pretty clear pretty early that they could be in trouble from SWE, and and they seemed not to recognize it. by the last beat, it was very unlikely that BRA could put the required number of boats between themselves and GBR, yet GBR covered BRA all the way up the beat!

#316 Evo

Evo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:02 PM

the same way Dennis Conner was unlucky in 1983....Percy was unlucky. The Brits commited to a side and the breeze crapped out just a few hundred from the finish. C'est la vie. Kudos to Percy and Simpson for being all class all regatta long.

Different for the Finn race. Ainslie earned that but was helped by Casey boxing out Postma at the last mark. Wow!!. JHC had no answer all day. Not his conditions.....well done to Ainslie. Other than the commentating that was an extraordinary race. They tie on points and the bloke who has won more races loses...helluva a capsize that. Well done to Lobert for the bronze. Way to finish. Postma not so much

On to the rest!!

#317 xfire

xfire

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • Interests:Etchells racing<br>Jr. sailing programs<br>

Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:10 PM

What was the tie breaking rule?

#318 Evo

Evo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:15 PM

What was the tie breaking rule?

medal race

#319 Wavedancer II

Wavedancer II

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:21 PM

I've found it great here in Spain but I have a minimum 3,5 megas adsl so that makes a difference. Mind you, it still buffers from time to time for maybe 3 or 4 secs but I can live with that. Tell you what though. Apart from the obvious Ben A bias on the BBC, as is their right, this has been the best sailing coverage I've ever seen online in any event and take my hat off to the care and attention that has gone into the coverage. Very impressed and can only hope that other future events follow suit. With advertising to cover revenue, I see no reason at all why this type of coverage (central video feed, onboard cameras, knowlegable commentary, and computer graphics etc,) cannot be the norm for international events. The audience is there and willing to watch, it just seems that the TV companies are not willing to listen.

I second that (from the USA) and I thank the British taxpayers who pay for BBC, I believe.

#320 Evo

Evo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:25 PM

I second that (from the USA) and I thank the British taxpayers who pay for BBC, I believe.

and the rest of us who pay to have it fed live onto our bigscreens at home. Don't forget this is about making money.

Is the BBC responsible for Richard Simmonds??

#321 Terrorvision

Terrorvision

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,778 posts
  • Interests:Taking 'the' out of Psychotherapist

Posted 05 August 2012 - 04:38 PM

and the rest of us who pay to have it fed live onto our bigscreens at home. Don't forget this is about making money.

Is the BBC responsible for Richard Simmonds??

No-one would publicly take responsibility for Richard Simmons!

#322 Sailing My Cubicle

Sailing My Cubicle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:28 PM

Well that was a frustrating attempt at watching the Match Racing on the NBC stream. Enjoyed watching the AUS-NED race but once that ended, why not show the USA-FIN race that was in progress? Instead the feed just panned the crowd. Had to learn from twitter that FIN came from behind to beat USA. Good thing I'm not paying for this.

#323 Bill Roue

Bill Roue

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:11 PM

USA 10 secs down top mark 2nd race

#324 C Hawk

C Hawk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:27 PM

USA down 2-0 now. Saw the finish of race 1 on the jumbotron during the crowd shot time filler after the AUS-NED race. USA tried to hold out FIN on starboard at the finish, ended up penalized for not allowing room. Race 2 FIN simply sailed away. Not looking good for USA.

#325 Bill Roue

Bill Roue

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:32 PM

USA down 2-0 to FIN. Needs to win 3 in a row to advance to semis.

#326 viva la figa

viva la figa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:41 PM

where can we get replays of the finn and star medal races?

Also where can I see replays of some of the womens match racing????

If I cant get to work early (using the faster work internet) i dont get to see the races

#327 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,964 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:05 PM

bbc olympics has all of the replays if you go to the schedule/results page.

49er medal race on right now. How people question this boat is just beyond me. It doesnt look like there is more than 6kts on the water and these things still look fast.

#328 C Hawk

C Hawk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:07 PM

US loses match races. It's official. US is shut out of all medals in sailing.

#329 ibcrewin

ibcrewin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts
  • Interests:4.875% fixed

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:16 PM

US loses match races. It's official. US is shut out of all medals in sailing.

Beat me to it.. The GBR/RUS finish in race 4 was great. RUS edging out GBR in the last boat length.

#330 PL3

PL3

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:22 PM

US is shut out of all medals in sailing

For the first time in 76 YEARS.

#331 viva la figa

viva la figa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:43 PM

bbc olympics has all of the replays if you go to the schedule/results page.

49er medal race on right now. How people question this boat is just beyond me. It doesnt look like there is more than 6kts on the water and these things still look fast.

I must be an idiot....went to where you said to go and still no love!!! went to the bbc olympics clicked on Schedule/Results and found the link for the medal races for the finn and star....but can not for the life of me find the video footage???? any help??

#332 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,964 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:15 PM

you have to be signed into expat shield, first.

go to http://www.bbc.co.uk...chedule-results, drill down to sailing, click whatever day you want to watch, then click "catch up"

if you arent signed into expat shield, it wont work,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users