#2 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,329 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:36 PM

And one American team, Bodacious Dream. Your man racing nick?

#3 nkb

nkb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Interests:Mostly ocean racing.

Posted 22 July 2012 - 03:25 AM

Yes, he's with Jorg on MARE.... along with Remi (designer of All Purpose Sails) and Sam Manuard who designed the boat.

Bodacious Dream has the lovely Emma Creighton on the crew.

Miranda and Halvard who won the race last time around are also competing.... there's a good crowd.

#4 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,154 posts
  • Interests:My ride: An OCD designed Class 40

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:46 PM

My loyalties are split. Rearick/Bodacious Dream and then Miranda and Halvard on Campagne de France.

The Class 40's are the story here. One Open 50, two Multi 50s, one Multi 60 and one Mono 65. It is a vivid demonstration of where the center of gravity has gone to for off shore racing.

#5 LeoV

LeoV

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 02:36 PM

KLeinjans, for me, nice bloke. And fast..
just raced acros in the twostar.
http://www.michelkleinjans.be/

RM, is the C40 still growing with more boats ?

#6 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,154 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 04:38 PM

KLeinjans, for me, nice bloke. And fast..
just raced acros in the twostar.
http://www.michelkleinjans.be/

RM, is the C40 still growing with more boats ?

Yup. Still growing. World wide the growth rate is not as fast as 2007 and 2008, but that is to be expected given the economy. We are still seeing new boats being launched at a reasonable pace, and you still see participation levels at the various marquee races stay at historic levels or even grow. There were 17 Class 40's start the Quebec St Malo in 2008, and now four years later we have 20 or 21. With a significant percentage of new names as well. It is good to see familiar names and also new blood, a sign that the class remains relevant.

In North America, three of the existing owners are actually buying new boats, which means there are a couple of boats on the market which will hopefully stay in the local area and help the fleet grow. The availability of second hand first and second generation boats is starting to open up the fleet to an exanded range of skippers, which should help fuel some growth not only in North America but also world wide. We had one new boat join the Quebec fleet bring that group of boats to three, and then both Joe Harris and Dave Rearick joined the east coast fleet in the past year.

So yes, it is continuing to grow.

#7 2 handed

2 handed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:06 PM

[quote name='Rail Meat' timestamp='1342964782' post='3795898']
My loyalties are split. Rearick/Bodacious Dream and then Miranda and Halvard on Campagne de France.

My thoughts exactly. Would be a thrill to see Bodacious hit the podium. I am following this with much interest and jealousy!
Just so hard to commit so much time after Charleston-Newport and Bermuda. Cool to see so many new friends on the line in this.

The Class 40's seem as solid as ever in North America.
btw - Good Atlantic Cup article in Sail this month with a Dragon pix and quotes from Hennessey and Joe Harris.

Thanks again RM for all you've done for the Class40 in the USA these past few years!

-mike

#8 LeoV

LeoV

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:09 PM

Good to hear the C40 does well.
And damn that river is long...

#9 nkb

nkb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:56 PM

Blog Day 1 from Ryan onboard MARE.

Wow, what a first day! After a reasonable but not great start under spinnaker, we managed to make our way through the fleet and were leading by around 3 miles at one point. Then, disaster; we tore our big spinnaker in a big puff, as it loaded up because we were sailing through nasty wind against current waves.

Since, we have been handicapped, while Remy and I spent several hours patching it back together to get it back up. The repair is with stickyback, but we need to finish hand stiching it to be confident in the job, which will take another 3-4 hours with the two of us working. At the moment in light air though it is fine.

Last night was light and tricky, vmg downwind in light air, with no moon, so it was impossible to see where the wind was. Fortunately we have managed to stay in the front group.

We have passed the first two marks of the course, and it is excellent; at each spot, the bank of the river is lined with cheering fans, the Quebecois are really into this race, and the support is great.

This morning we are still vmg sailing in light air, and the forecast is that it will pick up soon...

Ryan

#10 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,154 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:16 PM

Some of the tracks from last night are absolutely painful to see. When ever you see a loop transcribed in the route you know there is some skipper cursing the wind gods.

#11 nkb

nkb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:12 PM

There are photos and videos posted straight onto the race tracker as they are sent from the boats. There's a nice video from Geodis showing the boats enjoying some beautiful sailing conditions yesterday evening.

#12 basketcase

basketcase

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts
  • Location:The Committee for the Liberation and Integration of Terrifying Organisms and their Rehabilitation Into Society
  • Interests:recreational gynecology.

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:16 AM

go bleu!

#13 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,329 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:50 AM

thanks nick

tracker link pls

#14 Keith

Keith

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:14 AM

Tracker

http://transat.korem.com/course

#15 Nigel Texas

Nigel Texas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:33 AM

No split loyalties here. Go get 'em, Bodacious Dream!

#16 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,154 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:00 PM

Good god, that is one long river.

#17 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,154 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:04 PM

Sudden right hand turn for Mare, headed into shore. Perhaps making port at Le Anse Griffon Nord? The turn looks too sharp to be a VMG gybe, but I could be wrong.

#18 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,154 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:08 PM

Hmmm... looking at the chart, I am guessing that I am wrong. Looks like they have the final turning mark at Perce, down around the corner from where they are now and it might make sense to get some south put in the bank so the shoreline play might pay.

#19 Nigel Texas

Nigel Texas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:05 PM

Hmmm... looking at the chart, I am guessing that I am wrong. Looks like they have the final turning mark at Perce, down around the corner from where they are now and it might make sense to get some south put in the bank so the shoreline play might pay.

You can overlay a wind grib on the tracking chart by clicking the cloud icon.

#20 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,154 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:01 PM

You can overlay a wind grib on the tracking chart by clicking the cloud icon.

Just figured that out. Gribs look to be off a bit compared to the boat tracks. Maybe 10 degrees.

Edit: the peloton is sure hugging the beach all the way down. Strange to do 300 plus miles rock hopping along the shore.

#21 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,329 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:14 PM

They're required to; the course keeps them at the beach. From the Front Page:

For the uninitiated, this race is crewed; most will sail with 3 or 4 crew. The course starts well into the St. Lawrence River and requires teams to race 330 nm before even entering the Atlantic. As they navigate the river, teams are required to round 6 marks that will force the crews close into shore, allowing a spectacle for the dozens of villages that line the St. Lawrence. With 20 teams there are plenty of story lines to follow, but the key numbers, players and teams to watch are below. Follow the race using the links above, and Facebook updates are here. Here’s the form guide: The Class 40 record was set in 2008 by Halvard Mabire (who will race on Campagne de France this year) in 13 days 13 hours 50 min.

#22 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,154 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:11 PM

Yeah, I saw that. I meant my comment more along the lines of "I am sailing across the Atlantic and the first 3 days are going to be within a stone's throw of land" kind of way.

I got a chuckle out of the mark at Gaspre. There are something like 22 buildings in that entire town. Hope the skippers are not expecting large crowds.

#23 nkb

nkb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:52 PM

News from Ryan day 2...

Hello all,

Changeable conditions have been the order of the day for this course, and it happens quickly.

during the day yesterday it was quite light, and upwind. we were pipped at the post at Matane by Seb Rogues on GDF Suez, but sincce have passed him.

At St. Anne, a quick peel to the Code 0 allowed us to squeak past Comiris about 100m from the buoy for our first City win!!! Needless to say we were pretty pumped about that. Since that point lasrt night we have been in our kind of heavy reaching conditions.

We have seen gusts to 38 knots, and have been down to 2 reefs and the solent; The boat loves that, we nearly hit 20 knots; it is a wet ride. It was a shame that it was nightime, the photos would have been spectacular. The lightnig for sure was.

Onboard we are great, if very tired. we just managed to get into our watch system about ç hours ago, and even so, we find ourselves 4 on deck almost once per hour, ans conditions are changing dramarically all the time. We all agree that it will be nice to get into the steadier winds of the open ocean

Signing off for bed? hopefully for more than a few minutes.

R

#24 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,154 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:35 PM

Rut row. Looks like the navigator on Mare was catching a kip. They seem to have missed the last turning mark.

#25 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,154 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:05 PM

Rut row. Looks like the navigator on Mare was catching a kip. They seem to have missed the last turning mark.

Playing back the tracker, looks like there was a position report at 14:30 and then a gap until 16:00 before the next update. Mare was heading towards the 6th mark at 14:30, and then was well east at the 16:00 report. Logic is that they rounded inside that time window. False alarm.

#26 nkb

nkb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:22 AM

Thanks RM. You are right. On the MOD70 transat there were some simliar confusions with the trackers.

#27 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,329 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:53 PM

Jörg Riechers takes command
Tuesday, 24th July 2012
Press Release

Mare, skippered by Germany's Jörg Riechers takes a firm hold of the lead in the Class40 fleet racing on the the 8th edition of the Transat Québec - Saint-Malo. The Sam Manuard designed boat, no doubt one of the race favourites, has demonstrated good performance and Riechers together with an expert crew made up of Sam Manuard, Rémy Aubrun and American Ryan Breymayer, has been setting a rhythm in the fresh southerly winds coming down the Gaspé region. Just four have managed to maintain the pace, making further gains on the approach to the two final marks on the St. Lawrence River: Gaspé and Percé, that they should reach later today before reaching the open Atlantic. Two more opportunities for the huge crowds who since the start in Québec have been gathering on the river banks of la Malbaie, Rimouski, Matane and Sainte-Anne des Monts to greet the sailors. Meanwhile the monohulls continue to struggle in the tricky river conditions. Just Erwan Le Roux, skippering the trimaran FenêtréA Cardinal has reached the ocean's open waters and heads in a upwind tack to the next course mark at Madeleine Island.

Goodbye St Lawrence and thank you people from Québec…
Jörg Riechers has succeeded in approaching Gaspé as the frontrunner, no doubt the position he likes most to be in. "At St. Anne, a quick peel to the Code 0 allowed us to squeak past Comiris about 100 metres from the buoy for our first city win!" exclaimed the jubilant new race leader. As the wind continues to build, with a strong southwesterly breeze of over 20 knots, and the protection of the Gaspésie hills is left behind, conditions on the river waters become less manageable for the crews as they approach their second to last compulsory mark rounding in the Bay of Gaspé. An upwind track that puts an end to the exciting first part of the course, sailed close to the coast where fans and spectators crowded the banks to greet the fleet, marked by lead changes, gybing duels, close racing that required the best of the crews' focus and skills. The front pack is made of five boats that have all traded the lead place and who now prepare for "offshore mode": Jörg Riechers' Mare, Thierry Bouchard's Comiris, Sébastien Rogues' Generation Eole GDF SUEZ, Fabrice Amédéo's Geodis and Aurélien Ducroz's Latitude Neige / Longitude Montagne. Yet, behind this group the rest of the fleet is still pushing hard for a possible compression in the bay of Gaspé. Stéphane Le Diraison on IX Blue is in sixth position at less than 30 miles, David Augeix on his Akilaria EDF-Energies nouvelles is in 12th 40 miles behind the leaders and everything can still happen before the fleet heads on the long reaching tack towards Saint-Pierre et Miquelon. Luckily no issues or damage has been reported so far from the 25 boats who are about to leave the St Lawrence.

Erwan Leroux towards île de La Madeleine
After flying past the Saint-Anne des Monts course mark last night, Gaspé and Percé today Erwan Leroux's 50' trimaran is bound for île de La Madeleine. Yet sailing has not been that comfortable on the leading multihull, going upwind in 25 knots and with more expected at the river mouth, in an area already influenced by the open ocean; the foul weather gear is now ready for wear. Erwan Leroux and his crew now face a further challenge after the complex river navigation; attempting to keep ahead of a low pressure system to propel them across the Atlantic in favourable conditions. Erik Nigon on Vers un Monde sans Sida is surprisingly in second position, 63 miles behind, as last night Gilles Lamiré on was forced to take an unexpected u-turn to go round the mark at Saint-Anne des Monts. Could it have been the strong current or was it a mistake by the crew? In any case it was a change of course that cost dearly to the 60' multihull and Défi Saint-Malo Agglo went from leading Italy's 50' Vento di Sardegna by 17 miles and Erik Nigon's Vers un Monde sans Sida by 21 miles, to being fourth 90 miles behind FenêtréA Cardinal. After some technical issues on the opening hours, this new setback surely is a bad blow to the Saint Malo based crew. Canadian Georges Leblanc on Océan Phénix is 160 miles behind the leader. "We have switched to a three hours watch system. I'm at the nav station, my eyes fixed on the computer screen, our track is nothing but depressing… it's crazy, we are going round in circles. It looks like the Olympic logo. The weather is good, it's warm at night, but so disappointing because what we see at sunrise it not that different from what we saw at sunset. If the wind is not going to show this pain will go on forever…"

5 out of 6
Having awarded five prizes of the total six, the new "6 town, 6 marks" circuit has proven to be a huge success, with local fans coming in droves to the river banks to encourage the fleet. "Last night at 1am, we passed the small village of Saint-Anne de Monts, the mark was just 50 metres off the lock but still there were people there, their car lights on, clapping their hands and shouting. Amazing. It was a bit of a surreal moment, and it happened at each mark!" enthused Armel Tripon during this morning radio vac.
La Malbaie: First overall – FenêtréA Cardinal d'Erwan Leroux

Rimouski: first monohull overall - Latitude Neige – Longitude Mer d'Aurélien Ducroz

Matane: first Class40 – Eole Generation GDF SUEZ de Sébastien Rogues

Saint-Anne des Monts: first monohull overall – Mare de Jörg Riechers

Gaspé: first Class40 – En attente

Percé: first multihull overall - FenêtréA Cardinal d'Erwan Leroux

The only prize still to be awarded is the one for the first Class40 to pass Gaspé

Check out the latest position on the Transat Québec Saint Malo online tracker at: http://transat.korem.com/course

Webiste : www.transatquebecstmalo.com
https://www.facebook.com/TransatQSM
https://twitter.com/TransatQSM

Link FlickR : http://www.flickr.co...57629338839562/
Link Viméo :

Posted Image

#28 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:02 PM

As the lovely Emma Creighton once said "Mare just makes the ocean her bitch!" Looks like that's the case again, though Jorg and co must be on the other side of a tidal gate now, giving the other a bit of a chance before the Atlantic drag race starts

#29 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,154 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:48 PM

Holy crap has there been fleet compression today. The mood on Mare must be foul.

#30 nkb

nkb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:06 PM

Holy crap has there been fleet compression today. The mood on Mare must be foul.

Not at all. They're having a great time....it was natural the others catch up eventually with the light patch of air passing clearly over the fleet from the back to the front - excuse me for not knowing the proper meteorological terms Posted Image

However they have been pretty busy......

here's the latest update from Ryan :

So just as night fell yesterday, we heard a funny pop; we bore away and looked around, only to find nothing. Unfortunately when we came back up and the bowsprit broke, it became quickly apparent that nothing was actually quite important.

Two little pieces came unglued, alllowing the ropes attached to the sprint to move, andthereby applying the uneven pressure which caused it to fail.

We managed to get the gennaker down without rolling it or causing more damage, and then set about getting the sprit off the front of the boat

A half hour of untying knots later by the light of a headlamp, the we managed to go get the broken piece under the roof. Did I mention the rain had begun?

Just in time to do all the grinding and sanding in the cockpit. Donning my $$$$ HPX whitesuit to keep the carbon off, I set to work. We cut the damaged section off the nosepiece, and off of the body of the sprit. Then we glued two pieces of fiberglass plate in place top and bottom,

Watching from the exterior one might have been tempted to laugh at me falling asleep repeatedly while holding the newly glued pieces over the Jetboil in an attemt to get the glue to dry quicker. Perhaps it was the carbon monoxide.

In any case, no one was burned (badly) and the boat did not catch on fire; a final wrapping of carbon cloth, peel ply and tape, and We went to sleep while the epoxy cured.

This morning, the bobstay and tacklines were respliced to account for the now 1 foot shorter sprit, and the kite reset off the bowsprit. Success, and now just to stay in front of the others, who fortunately for us also had a slow night....

Perhaps today we can avoid any more repairs and just go sailing!

Ryan

#31 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,329 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:11 PM

Nick - pics or it never happened.

Seriously...must see 'work station'...ha!

#32 Nigel Texas

Nigel Texas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:51 PM

FWIW, here are a couple of forecasts courtesy of Environment Canada.

Any better data out there?

Marine Forecast - Cabot Strait (where they are now)

Winds
Issued 03:30 PM ADT 25 July 2012 Tonight and Thursday Strong wind warning in effect.
Wind variable 15 knots increasing to northwest 15 to 20 early this evening then becoming northwest 20 near midnight. Wind diminishing to northwest 15 Thursday evening.
Waves
Issued 05:00 PM ADT 25 July 2012 Tonight and Thursday Seas 2 to 3 metres subsiding to 1 to 2 early this evening.
Extended Forecast
Issued 03:30 PM ADT 25 July 2012 Friday Wind light.Saturday Wind northeast 10 to 15 knots.Sunday Wind light.

Marine Forecast - Grand Banks (where they are going)

Winds
Issued 03:30 PM NDT 25 July 2012 Tonight and Thursday Wind southeast 15 to 20 knots increasing to southeast 25 this evening and to west 30 Thursday evening.
Waves
Issued 06:00 PM NDT 25 July 2012 Tonight and Thursday Seas 1 to 2 metres building to 2 to 3 this evening and to 3 to 5 Thursday morning.
Extended Forecast
Issued 03:30 PM NDT 25 July 2012 Friday Wind west 25 knots backing to southwest 15 to 20 in the morning.Saturday Wind southwest 25 knots.Sunday Wind north 10 to 15 knots.

#33 the truth.

the truth.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • Interests:David Bowie

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:00 PM

Why not Dragon RM, sorry if this has been asked before...

#34 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,154 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:13 PM

Not at all. They're having a great time....it was natural the others catch up eventually with the light patch of air passing clearly over the fleet from the back to the front - excuse me for not knowing the proper meteorological terms Posted Image

However they have been pretty busy......

here's the latest update from Ryan :

So just as night fell yesterday, we heard a funny pop; we bore away and looked around, only to find nothing. Unfortunately when we came back up and the bowsprit broke, it became quickly apparent that nothing was actually quite important.

Two little pieces came unglued, alllowing the ropes attached to the sprint to move, andthereby applying the uneven pressure which caused it to fail.

We managed to get the gennaker down without rolling it or causing more damage, and then set about getting the sprit off the front of the boat

A half hour of untying knots later by the light of a headlamp, the we managed to go get the broken piece under the roof. Did I mention the rain had begun?

Just in time to do all the grinding and sanding in the cockpit. Donning my $$$$ HPX whitesuit to keep the carbon off, I set to work. We cut the damaged section off the nosepiece, and off of the body of the sprit. Then we glued two pieces of fiberglass plate in place top and bottom,

Watching from the exterior one might have been tempted to laugh at me falling asleep repeatedly while holding the newly glued pieces over the Jetboil in an attemt to get the glue to dry quicker. Perhaps it was the carbon monoxide.

In any case, no one was burned (badly) and the boat did not catch on fire; a final wrapping of carbon cloth, peel ply and tape, and We went to sleep while the epoxy cured.

This morning, the bobstay and tacklines were respliced to account for the now 1 foot shorter sprit, and the kite reset off the bowsprit. Success, and now just to stay in front of the others, who fortunately for us also had a slow night....

Perhaps today we can avoid any more repairs and just go sailing!

Ryan

That sounds like one hell of a 24 hours, and helps explain the speed impact as well as the rather odd ramble to the north in their course. Given my recent experience, I can empathize. Congrats on for an impressive recovery.

#35 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,154 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:15 PM

Why not Dragon RM, sorry if this has been asked before...

Like with most things, time and money. I had a transatlantic frolic last year so this summer had to be spent working on replenishing the accounts and getting some work done.

Besides, given my own sprit breaking off in the Newport Bermuda race, there would have been no way to be able to do this race. It has taken this long to get the quotes back and be in a position to decide if I am going to be able to do a nose job on the boat to install an articulating sprit.

#36 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,329 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:11 PM

what kind of nose job would you need to do Mike?

#37 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,154 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:42 PM

what kind of nose job would you need to do Mike?

I broke the sprit clean off right at the foward bearing. No damage to the housing, a small amount of damage to the fairing on the toe rail where the sprit was flailing away.

My choice is to replace the carbon tube with a similar tube (perhaps with a heavier lay up), or to cut into the boat to install an articulating sprit. I am trying to figure out if I can afford the latter. It would improve my down wind speed, and I have found myself doing a remarkable amount of VMG running in the 4 years I have been racing this boat. Virtually all of the Gen 3 boats are coming with articulating sprits, after Gio cleaned up with his in 2008.

#38 nkb

nkb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:47 AM

Birthday blog from Ryan yesterday :

One of the things that I like most and least about yacht racing is how quickly fortunes can change. Right now, despite all the birthday wishes from all around he world and the good karma I would hope that would bring, we are bleeding miles to the new leaders.

The funny thing is, at one point we were something like 40 miles ahead of the 2nd place boat, and that was only a day or so ago. In fact, one of the boats now ahead was 90 miles behind us at one point.

Why? 22meters of hand stitching in our big kite for one. Repairing the bowsprit for 8 hours for another. The lack of sleep and distraction of all that is probably the biggest nail in our present coffin.

Or maybe it is just down to some bad luck with an amorphous weather system that did not cooperate with the best our brilliant tactical minds could throw art it.

The good news is that we still have 3000 miles or so to make up our 30 mile deficit, and a strong boat and crew.

Perhaps my birthday good cheer will kick in as we get into the atlantic.

Thanks for all the messages everyone, and wish us happy hunting.

R and the Mare team

#39 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,154 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:10 PM

Mare made some good time last night, pulled back some miles. It will be interesting to see what happens with the choice of south veruss north. It looks like better pressure up north, but I gotta say I think Robert's aggressive move north on Perserverance is a waste of vmc. Winds are pretty light at the moment, but they may get some pressure in the next few hours.

#40 nkb

nkb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:54 PM

Bodacious Dream look they are in a really nice spot right now...

#41 nkb

nkb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:56 PM

Blog from Ryan Day 5 :

Today we had the definition of Champagne Sailing. Bright and sunny outside, kite and staysail up, enough wind to surf all the time, and 4 motivated drivers. Our Manuard design does not need much sail area to get going, and today wiith 19-24 knots, the small kite is the perfect combination of low drag and high acceleration. We were looking good on the tracker because of our northerly route which has gotten us further down the rhumb line, but the next little depression has us working our way back a litle more souh, which should see the souherly boats holding even with us for the next 12 hours or so....

time will tell.

#42 ctutmark

ctutmark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Herding cats

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:52 PM

Bodacious Dream look they are in a really nice spot right now...

To go out the back?

#43 nkb

nkb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:53 AM

Ryan Blog day 8 :

Up until now, we have been feeling pretty good about ourselves, but you live by the sword and you die by the same, only in our case it is the strength of the wind.

We thought we were pretty smart a couple of days ago getting past St. Pierre in good shape, but we got a little greedy and went too far north on our last port gybe. Since, we have been suffering for it as the boats to the south of us have had a better angle and more wind.

For those of you following the tracker, this probably does not come as a big suprise....

Now we are sailing VMG downwind in light air too close to the center of this low for comfort debaing whether or not to hoist the three times repaired big kite.

The decision is made, it is set, and a poll is taken on how long it will last.,,, Sam the optimist: till we take it down Remy the sailmaker:15 hours Jorg force of will: 14 hours Ryan, eternal realist and conductor of poll: no comment.

About 10 minutes later Jorg notices a 5cm rip along the most recently repaired seam.....

Back to the medium kite, same speed but 5 degrees higher, towards the direction we do not want to go.

We are all kicking ourselves for having not started the war conferences a day earlier, before we extended on that gybe north.

At this point we are just looking forward 12 hours or so to the 20-30 knots we are meant to have all the way to the finish.

Here.s to everything holding together. At least we have plenty of food, even if the other watch eats all the chocolate.
R

#44 Corley

Corley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:04 PM

Erwan La Roux and crew on the Multi50 Fenetre Cardinal3 competing in the Open division are closing in on the finish at St Malo with about 140nm to go.

#45 LeoV

LeoV

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:29 PM

Nice trucking along at 20 knts max at the moment.. must feel good after the river dance to have more freedom :)

#46 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,154 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:46 PM

Some of those momentary speeds are a bit suspect, but the averages are excellent. They are hauling the mail. It is going to be difficult to figure out how to get past Halvard and Miranda at this point. They have a nice loose cover on the fleet, and there don't seem to be too many complications in the weather which would allow for an effective separation.

#47 Corley

Corley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:37 AM

Erwan Le Roux and crew on Fenetre Cardinal have finished the race their closest competitor Defi Quebec St Malo Agglo still with over 500nm to go.

#48 nkb

nkb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:01 PM

Loving Miranda's updates and the importance of her cup of tea as they truck along picking miles off the others as they go. Great job :)

#49 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,154 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:22 PM

Miranda loves her cupa.

Mare slid north over night. It gives them a bit of separation on Compagne, and I imagine they are trying to pick up stronger winds from the low that is just above Ireland, and also avoid the ridge of high pressure that is coming in from the west towards the bulk of the fleet. It will be interesting to see how it plays out, because in the meantime they are paying for it in slower VMC than Compagne.

Eole is following suit, and it is a bit difficult to see if they are doing so because they are looking at the gribs in the same way, or if they want to maintain cover on Mare. Meanwhile Compagne has also shifted north a bit, but not as aggressively. I am betting that Compagne has it right and that Mare has over baked their move and wasted some miles.

It looks like it could be an interesting finish to the race.

#50 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,329 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:03 PM

Loving Miranda's updates and the importance of her cup of tea as they truck along picking miles off the others as they go. Great job :)

so post one!

#51 Corley

Corley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:59 AM

Giles Lamire's ORMA Defi Quebec St Malo Agglo and Erik Nigon's Multi50 Vers un Monde sans Sida are approaching the turning point at Fastnet rock and sailing within .8nm of each other it looks like they might go neck and neck till the finish in the battle for second place.

#52 nkb

nkb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:49 AM

so post one!

they're on her Facebook page and the race website! Posted Image

Here's the latest one from Ryan :

So, our gybe went very well yesterday evening. We ended up with lots of wind and a good angle on starboard gybe, and have been doing well ever since. Everyone was anxiously awaiting the position report this morning, and now an air of calm has setthes over the boat, the only objective now to go as fast as possible in this drag race to the finish.

We remain the most northerly boat; something that suprises us, we would have thought that Campagne de France would have gybed on our line. We did have the luxury of choosing when to gybe, and did so just after the last position report of the evening, giving us 8 hours of freedom.

We certainly hope that he has to soak, thereby slowing, or even better has to gybe, giving us all the more distance.

All this being said, they are sailing a great race, are still ahead, and this will not be over till we cross the line.

#53 Corley

Corley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:45 PM

The Multis in the open division are finished Gilles Lamire on his ORMA managed to sneak in just ahead of the Multi50 of Erik Nigon (about 20 minutes apart).

Extract from the race news page.

Gilles Lamiré crossed the line today at 20:09(FR)!

Aug 02, 2012

By crossing the line today at 20:09:04 Gilles Lamiré and his crew on Défi Saint-Malo Agglo have finished in second in the 8th Transat Québec Saint-Malo in the Open class.Their total elapsed time is 11 days, 2 hours, 34 minutes and 45 seconds and they have covered 3,224 miles at an average speed of 12,1 knots.

Nigon crossed the line today at 20L30(FR)!

Aug 02, 2012

Erik Nigon skippering Multi50 trimaran Vers un Monde sans Sida finished in third of the Open class, crossing the line in Saint Malo on Thursday August 2nd at 20:30: 23 local time. Total elapsed time is 11 days, 2 hours, 55 minutes and 23 seconds to cover 3,160 miles at an average speed of 11,84 knots.

#54 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,154 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:47 PM

Compagne wins!!!!!

Awesome job by Miranda and Halvard. Huge congrats.

#55 LeoV

LeoV

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:52 PM

Champagne :)

#56 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 03:26 PM

Mare second across. Well don to both Class 40 teams in blitzing everyone else in the fleet. Jorg and Ryan both need IMOCA 60's now!

#57 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,329 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 03:36 PM

As long as Jorg pays for both

#58 LeoV

LeoV

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:09 PM

extra info, proximedia sails with 3 youngsters, all diabetics.

And a nice race it was.

#59 Colibri

Colibri

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:41 AM

Compagne wins!!!!!

Awesome job by Miranda and Halvard. Huge congrats.

Do not forgot Christian Bouroulec, third crew of "Campagne de France" and builder of the Pogos.

#60 Matt B

Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:44 AM

If you were going to buy a second hand Class 40... Today (on the market). Which one would you by. Are there any that may come on the market soon that are worth waiting for?

#61 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,154 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:45 PM

Depends on your budget, where you are located, and what racing you want to do.

There are a wide range of boats that are on the market, from 3rd generation to 1st generation. Heck, Compagne de France is for sale. The third generation of boats is going to be obviously more expensive, the first generation less expensive.

Your current location matters simply because the delivery cost of the boat should be factored into the price. If you are located in the US and want to buy a European boat, or vice versa, it will cost you 15 to 20 thousand USD to get a boat across the pond. If you sail it you need to buy plane tickets, pay for crew (or take lots of time off work), pay for an insurance rider and deal with the wear and tear on the boat. If you ship it, you need to expect shipping to be about 20 K, but a lot less hassle.

Your anticipated racing matters in terms of what design type you want to get. Some of the designs operate better in reaching, some better in running and some better in upwind conditions. When architects design their boats, they do so around an expected range of conditions that the boat will see, and then will run VPPmodels based on those weather patterns. For Class 40's that often times means that the designer acquired weather files for transatlantic courses running from France to Brazil or the Caribbean and then ran VPP simulations for their different design iterations until they settled on a design that they felt was optimized for speed. You probably don't have the historical weather gribs or the VPP software, but you can think about the issue when picking a design. For example, a lot of my racing is in relatively lighter air, and is a mix of upwind, downind and reaching conditions. It is the reason I picked the 2nd generation OCD boat that I have - slightly narrower than max beam, with some good rocker that lets me get the ass end out of the water in the light stuff, with a mast and keel a bit further forward than some of the other designs. Some one who plans on doing the RDR, SDC or TJV as their primary races would probably want a max beam, mast back boat that is optimized for running or reaching. The reality is that almost any design, from any generation, can win in a given race. You saw it in the Atlantic Cup where boats from each generation were at the front (and back) of the pack and you saw it in the Quebec St. Malo where the same exact thing occured. In Class 40 racing it always comes down to the conditions of the particular race, the preparation of the boat and the skill / experience of the skipper.

Another consideration is how well the boat is sorted and equipped. A boat that has been put together by an experienced prepateur with serious intent and then raced in at least one transatlantic is going to be 1000% better sorted than a boat that was boat by a corinthian and used for local racing. The experience brings benefits. But it will also jump the cost, so you may want to buy that less sorted boat and then figure it out your self at a pace your budget allows.

One huge (and I mean huge) consideration is the state of the sail inventory. Not gonna lie - sails are expensive. So you are well served by looking at a boat that has a sail inventory that is not beat to rags.

If you are in the east coast of north america, there are three boats available right now including Cutlass (an OCD design), Amhas (an Akilaria RC) and Toothface (an Akilaria RC). The good news is that we have two new boats arriving that will help the fleet grow. The great news would be if we could retain these three in the area to help create an even larger critical mass. All three of these boats have been professionally maintained, and all three have been equipped for transatlantic racing. You really can't go wrong with any of them.

If you look to Europe, there are a number of boats for sail from a very wide range of designers and from each generation of design. I mentioned Compagne de France (a Pogo 3rd genration) as being for sale but what I did not mention is that it was put together by perhaps two of the best preparateurs in the entire business, Miranda and Halvard. I have been on that boat, and it is beautifully sorted. Tanguy de La Motte's boat (a Simon Rogers design) was for sale the last time I checked and has won just about every race out there at one point or another. Fuji Film (an OCD design) is for sale. The boat that was originally called Friends of the Earth (an OCD design) is for sale (and has very few miles on it).

Drop me a PM if you want more info.

#62 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:05 PM

There seem to be a lot of RC2's on the market cheap in Europe right now, and that boat has proven to be a pretty good all around design. Check the Seahorse brokerage for a few

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users