#1 Heaven can wait

Heaven can wait

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,591 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:58 PM

G'day folks, HCW here.

Who would have thought after looking back some 8 years ago my vision would be where the HCW is today, a staple of the Lake Macquarie Sailing scene and a "Classic" Must Do on the Australian Yachting Regatta Calendar.

8 Years ago, 9 boats set off into the great unknown in the HCW "Trial". Although Dad and I were anxious like any newbourne Dads, the skies were clear, the Winds fair (actually the Weather was perfect.....Hah) and the spirits high as on the stroke of midday they all took off.

After the start I followed the boats around the Lake for as long as the light would allow. I couldn't be more proud as one by on the "Trialists" slipped from view.

After a cool night, sunrise saw the two lead boats, spinnakers aloft make there "dramatic", almost surreal entries into the Southern Stretches of the Lake which will forever be etched in my mind as just how good "Sailing" can really be.

All night long the two boats took turns at leading, and even up until time was called, a Sportsboat with a funny name ("Penguins on Parade")and a Racing Catamaran called "Foxy", were joined at the hip the entire time, much to enjoyment of the two crews, as well as a growing audience around the shores.

We've had 6 Chapters of the HCW since that "Trial" and everyone since has had it's own unique story to tell, some good, some not so good, but all reflect the Challenge that is the "The Heaven can Wait" Yacht Race.

Enter 2012, and the HCW yet again continues to evolve with the addition of a "12 hour" specifically to cater for Sportsboats, as well as those Skippers not quite ready or equipped to take on the "Full Monty".

For the first time, Yachts can take on as much or as little of Lake Macquarie as they dare, the 12 hour is especially for those wanting a taste of the "Night" sailing all with the prospect of a Cold Beer and a warm bed to see in the wee small hours of Sunday.

The 2012 HCW "One Lap Dash" - "12 Hour" and "24 Hour Classic" will once again set off from the RMYC at Toronto on the October Long Weekend, so whether you're in for a Penny or up for a pound, the HCW Classic is a completely unique Regatta no one should miss.

Remember folks, we need those entries in as October is not that far away. Cancer affects us all unfortunately and that is why the HCW is ultimately in celebration of those who've survived Cancer, but also in memory of those we've lost along the way.

The Challenge awaits folks, so don't delay in getting your entries in.

Goto www.heavencanwait.com.au for further details.

#2 Heaven can wait

Heaven can wait

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,591 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:00 AM

Right Sporties,

No excuses this year, you've got the OLD for the softies, the 24 hour for the Hard Men (And Women), and now we have the 12 hour, especially for you "Bedless" "Bad Ass" types.

Have at it Ladies aand Gents get those entries in, and lets give the fleet record a shake.

#3 allpiss&wind

allpiss&wind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:09 AM

Just a quick note that revised NORs for this year's race have now been posted to the website (www.heavencanwait.com.au). Thanks to me forgetting it was a Leap Year, I screwed up the dates (and my proofreaders missed them). As per usual, the event DOES start on a Saturday (September 29) and for those doing the 24 hour race, finishes on a Sunday (September 30). Those doing the One Lap Dash and the new 12 hour race will of course finish on the Saturday.

NOR links are here:
HCW 24 Hour Race
HCW 12 Hour Race
HCW One Lap Dash

Watch this space for more news as it comes along...

#4 rumpig

rumpig

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:33 PM

I just looked at the LMYC calender and they have finally learnt their lesson. There is no racing that weekend. How good is that

#5 rumpig

rumpig

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:36 PM

We will be there in the mighty WALLOP. for the full 24

#6 Heaven can wait

Heaven can wait

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,591 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:41 PM

We will be there in the mighty WALLOP. for the full 24

Great to see you back into again with Wallop.

#7 Don'tCallMeJudge

Don'tCallMeJudge

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:20 PM

I just looked at the LMYC calender and they have finally learnt their lesson. There is no racing that weekend. How good is that

Nice to hear that! One of the HCW marks is directly in front of their club, after all. ;)

#8 rumpig

rumpig

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:28 AM

Was thinking we could possibly get a few more boats from belmont, since they havent git a race on for that saturday. H ave to wait and see I guess.

#9 Heaven can wait

Heaven can wait

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,591 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:57 AM

Was thinking we could possibly get a few more boats from belmont, since they havent git a race on for that saturday. H ave to wait and see I guess.

One would hope so.

#10 Heaven can wait

Heaven can wait

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,591 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:07 AM

Quite a few Sportsboats out of this years HCW unfortunately.

Whilst some of the rides have been awesome to watch, they have resulted in some casualties namely Zippier with a broken stick.

Devastating to see after they were having such a great race.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users