11 replies to this topic

#1 Crew

Crew

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:46 AM

I am gutted. Dr. Hal Ward has passed. He was an inspiration to all. A man who was an absolute competitor despite challenges that life threw at him. He never took himself seriously, but considered his friends and shipmates as close as family. Having spent many miles offshore sailing with him I am to this day, inspired by his achievements. Hal never gave up on himself, it was never an option. He also never gave up on his endevours and that was proven countless times on the race course. Thanks for everything old friend, thank you.
Crew

#2 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,478 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:21 AM

The photo of thos guys on Cheval ( ? ) scooting to the Tranpac finish under jury-rig is one of the great pics in sailing.

Don't ever give up the ship.

#3 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,918 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:23 AM

I am gutted. Dr. Hal Ward has passed. He was an inspiration to all. A man who was an absolute competitor despite challenges that life threw at him. He never took himself seriously, but considered his friends and shipmates as close as family. Having spent many miles offshore sailing with him I am to this day, inspired by his achievements. Hal never gave up on himself, it was never an option. He also never gave up on his endevours and that was proven countless times on the race course. Thanks for everything old friend, thank you.
Crew

Sondes lickes a life welle livede, brovo HW! Brovo!

:)

#4 Dawg Gonit

Dawg Gonit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,811 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:28 AM

I sailed on his McGregor 65 Cheval way back. Of course I was not disabled at that point but he was.

Some day I'll see all thess sailors who have passed before me again. Maybe on a heavenly starting line. ;)

#5 Mr Moab

Mr Moab

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:49 AM

I didnít know Hal as well of some of his regular crew, but had the pleasure of crossing the Pacific with him three times and sailed on Cheval in a number of other coastal races. I found Hal to be a truly great and inspirational man who overcame a lot and never let obstacles get in the way of living life on his terms. Itís also sad to note that he is the third loss from our 95 Transpac crew, along with Ron Love and Mark Rudiger. I hope they are sailing together somewhere warm and with big waves now.

Great story about Hal in the 95 Transpac where we lost our rig. Itís amazing how quickly your circumstances can change. Just minutes prior we were surfing along with a big lead over Windquest and Pyewacket with less than 40 miles to the finish. We were all but assured of getting the barn door, and looking good for corrected overall as well. Then on the last jibe off the face of Molakai, the rig went over the side. Rudiger quickly figured out we were losing bearing on the point, and if we didnít get things sorted, the dropped rig could quickly become a beached boat. We quickly got the life rafts ready in case needed and then set about the task of cutting away the rig to regain some control over the boat. As we cut away the rig, I think we all had some similar thoughts. Hal had invested so much in Cheval, it was his dream ride, custom built for his needs. Alan Andrews had delivered a great tool for the task, and Hal had put together a solid group of guys that were so close to delivering his cream of winning Transpac. Once the rig was a way, we rechecked the bearings and were now drifting clear of the point. At point we were all just gutted. The boat was a mess, a stump for a mast, cut ropes and splintered carbon all over the place. We were feeling bad for Hal, and probably for ourselves as well. But then Hal yells up from the nav station in his gravelly voice, something to the effect of ďif you fuckers can get this thing going 8 knots we can still beat them to Diamond HeadĒ. That was a total testament to how Hal approached life. He had been below plotting out our lead on the others, their average speed, and what it would take to defend our lead. He never quit, and never doubted there was a way to solve the problem.

We went about making setting the jury rig, tried a couple options, ending up with our funky jib top and genoa staysail sideways combo. If I recall correctly, Shaky even got the boat over 10 knots on a few waves. Hal was right, we managed to beat those guys in what was a very memorable finish.

Hal, your spirit, conviction and your never give up attitude will be missed, but never forgotten.

#6 SR CHIEF (RET)

SR CHIEF (RET)

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:50 AM

Crew

I had the pleasure of meeting him Hi., awesome and humble man indeed. God speed Doc.

#7 Hitchhiker

Hitchhiker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:55 AM

I didnít know Hal as well of some of his regular crew, but had the pleasure of crossing the Pacific with him three times and sailed on Cheval in a number of other coastal races. I found Hal to be a truly great and inspirational man who overcame a lot and never let obstacles get in the way of living life on his terms. Itís also sad to note that he is the third loss from our 95 Transpac crew, along with Ron Love and Mark Rudiger. I hope they are sailing together somewhere warm and with big waves now.

Great story about Hal in the 95 Transpac where we lost our rig. Itís amazing how quickly your circumstances can change. Just minutes prior we were surfing along with a big lead over Windquest and Pyewacket with less than 40 miles to the finish. We were all but assured of getting the barn door, and looking good for corrected overall as well. Then on the last jibe off the face of Molakai, the rig went over the side. Rudiger quickly figured out we were losing bearing on the point, and if we didnít get things sorted, the dropped rig could quickly become a beached boat. We quickly got the life rafts ready in case needed and then set about the task of cutting away the rig to regain some control over the boat. As we cut away the rig, I think we all had some similar thoughts. Hal had invested so much in Cheval, it was his dream ride, custom built for his needs. Alan Andrews had delivered a great tool for the task, and Hal had put together a solid group of guys that were so close to delivering his cream of winning Transpac. Once the rig was a way, we rechecked the bearings and were now drifting clear of the point. At point we were all just gutted. The boat was a mess, a stump for a mast, cut ropes and splintered carbon all over the place. We were feeling bad for Hal, and probably for ourselves as well. But then Hal yells up from the nav station in his gravelly voice, something to the effect of ďif you fuckers can get this thing going 8 knots we can still beat them to Diamond HeadĒ. That was a total testament to how Hal approached life. He had been below plotting out our lead on the others, their average speed, and what it would take to defend our lead. He never quit, and never doubted there was a way to solve the problem.

We went about making setting the jury rig, tried a couple options, ending up with our funky jib top and genoa staysail sideways combo. If I recall correctly, Shaky even got the boat over 10 knots on a few waves. Hal was right, we managed to beat those guys in what was a very memorable finish.

Hal, your spirit, conviction and your never give up attitude will be missed, but never forgotten.

Great recalling of a classic story. But if I may add.this little bit. As told by the BM, Big Mike. After they jury rigged and ran to the finish for the win. Tied up at Transpac row, the exchange between Big Mike and Hal went something like, "There you go boss, a good rigger will get you through."
Hal replied," a good friend will get us the win".
A class act through and through. Fair winds Hal.

#8 Billy Bob

Billy Bob

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:25 AM

I did quite a bit of sailboat racing with Hal in the eighties when he first started out in big boats as well. I will remember him always. We had some wonderful and interesting times. Sorry to hear of his passing. Some of the best big boat owners are now leaving us.

#9 Coolerking

Coolerking

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Interests:I race anything that moves

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:32 PM

A GREAT GUY, ill always remember Hal stopping to say hi and see how we were all doing on his way down "sled row", we were neighbors on gangway 4, just a really nice guy...thoughts and condolences to all of Dr.Wards family and friends.

#10 kmcfast

kmcfast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:46 PM

Sail on RIP

#11 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:54 PM

Great story, post of the week year.

#12 tuf-luf

tuf-luf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,571 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:41 PM

Great recalling of a classic story. But if I may add.this little bit. As told by the BM, Big Mike. After they jury rigged and ran to the finish for the win. Tied up at Transpac row, the exchange between Big Mike and Hal went something like, "There you go boss, a good rigger will get you through."
Hal replied," a good friend will get us the win".
A class act through and through. Fair winds Hal.

Great story and quote following!!

Thanks for sharing. He sounded like a truly one-of-a-kind skipper and friend.

RIP Mr Ward.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users