Doc Häagen-Dazs

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:57 PM

I figured this sort of thing definitely belongs in CA:

Racing for liveaboards

I'm fed up racing with all my furniture and my sun deck. I just want a couch boat. Like an Alerion or Harbor-20. Race with one hand on my tiller and with a martini in my other hand.

#3 puddin

puddin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:59 PM

Going out on a limb and speaking for the STYC, we'd be happy to have you Doc. Ajax, the event was a great success last year and we'll be running it again this year. There's one particular boat that is a live aboard and still goes very fast. My money's on them this year. :)

#4 Clove Hitch

Clove Hitch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,999 posts
  • Interests:Garnacha. Gunk-holing.

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:17 PM

This is "on rollerblading" but the look and the answer is relevant

#5 C Koch

C Koch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts
  • Interests:Sailing & skiing, depending on the season

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:18 PM

I figured this sort of thing definitely belongs in CA:

Racing for liveaboards

Sounds like the best of both worlds to me. Keep the creature comforts, go as fast as you can but not to the point of taking it too seriously.

#6 Aremmes

Aremmes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:21 PM

Maybe Hotrod will have his twin-hull bungalow ready by that time so that he can sign up, if he manages to make it all the way to the water in one piece. It's more house than boat, anyway, so it should qualify.

#7 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,627 posts
  • Interests:MrsBlack, Brigadoon, freedom

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:48 PM

Kerry is not to hot on letting Brigadoon anywhere near the Duck Dodge. I wonder if I could talk her into this, especially if I got a couple experienced crew to help out so she can sit and watch with a glass of wine in her hand.

#8 Courtney K

Courtney K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:05 PM

The Three Sheets article was from last year. Will there be another race this October?

#9 puddin

puddin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:19 PM

The Three Sheets article was from last year. Will there be another race this October?

Should be Courtney. E-mail the STYC commodore for confirmation via styc.org. Sign up for access to the styc facebook page as well!a

#10 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:13 PM

Here is the latest link.

I'm actually considering doing this. I haven't done any racing in years. I have little experience in the last couple decades and, to be honest, would not be sure where to start with Brigadoon.

Seriously, I'm not a racer.

Maybe I need a person or two to show me how this is done or at least help crew while I give it a whirl?

#11 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,704 posts
  • Interests:It's Obvious!

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:35 PM

Dammit, you're on the other side of the country!

#12 Beau.Vrolyk

Beau.Vrolyk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts
  • Interests:Sailing on any and everything that floats. Skiing when the rainfall turns semi-solid and white.

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:36 PM

You know.... back in the day..... when I crewed on big boats headed to Mexico we had a COOK and WAITRESS (no politically correct crap for our Skipper) and SHOWERS and a big fridge with REAL FOOD. The Queen Mab was every bit as heavily loaded as any live-aboard and racing her was absolutely a blast. (This Queen Mab was about 80' long.)

Now, I get freeze dried food made by some smelly crewman (opps that me) who hasn't showered in weeks and only brought one change of cloths.

And folks wonder why Ocean Racing isn't as popular as it used to be :unsure:

#13 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,719 posts
  • Interests:SWMBO

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:26 PM

You know.... back in the day..... when I crewed on big boats headed to Mexico we had a COOK and WAITRESS (no politically correct crap for our Skipper) and SHOWERS and a big fridge with REAL FOOD. The Queen Mab was every bit as heavily loaded as any live-aboard and racing her was absolutely a blast. (This Queen Mab was about 80' long.)

Now, I get freeze dried food made by some smelly crewman (opps that me) who hasn't showered in weeks and only brought one change of cloths.

And folks wonder why Ocean Racing isn't as popular as it used to be :unsure:

I remember Queen Mab!

Thanks for reminding me about her!

#14 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,254 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:42 PM

"I remember,,,,,,the Alamo!"
Name that movie.
I remember QUEEN MAB too. I think I remember it from the days when SEA magazine was a real sailor's mag. I collected piles of them.

BJ:
If you decide you want enter a race give me a PM. I think I could make myself available for that.

#15 Courtney K

Courtney K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:10 PM

Maybe I need a person or two to show me how this is done or at least help crew while I give it a whirl?

You'll want to cross the finish line first. ;-)

Sounds like you'll have the expert give you a hand if you race, which if I have a boat come race time, I'll enter as well. I'm not sure I'll be okay with you having the boat's friggin DESIGNER on board while you're racing Brigadoon...

#16 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:12 PM

Bob, I'm going to guess your favorite movie, "Local Hero."

Edit: "Pee Wee's Big Adventure"

What do I win?

#17 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,719 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:14 PM

You'll want to cross the finish line first. ;-)

Sounds like you'll have the expert give you a hand if you race, which if I have a boat come race time, I'll enter as well. I'm not sure I'll be okay with you having the boat's friggin DESIGNER on board while you're racing Brigadoon...

I will crew for you Courtney......

#18 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:26 PM

This might get good.

#19 Cherie320

Cherie320

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Interests:...

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:42 PM

Sunday night - Delta Do Dah fleet, in a hurry to reach the next anchorage, comes racing past as we enjoyed dinner in Antioch. The gentleman at the next table notices we are talking about the boats and asked if we were sailors. He went on to tell us that he and his wife had lived aboard for ten years in Alameda and cruised everywhere. He said the only rub was when he tried racing, the boat heeled so much, that his wife told him he couldn't ever race her home again. I think he really enjoyed telling that story, Pat

#20 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,719 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:58 PM

This might get good.

No worries Courtney, we will smoke them......

#21 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:05 PM

Here is the latest link.

I'm actually considering doing this. I haven't done any racing in years. I have little experience in the last couple decades and, to be honest, would not be sure where to start with Brigadoon.

so, you're saying that NOT ONCE have you noticed any other sailboats around you on more or less the same tack?

That's as good as the sailor who said he's never run aground ;)

#22 Courtney K

Courtney K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:29 PM

This might get good.

No worries Courtney, we will smoke them......

kimb, of course we will. But good of you to prepare them for the blow. You're such a giver. So selfless.

Speaking of warnings: I have been known to trash talk. I'll wait to commence the "your boat is so fat" jokes until I have one that doesn't have a hole in it.

Sons makes a great point. Where there are two or more sailboats, there's a race. Because of that, I've grown rather accustomed to waving to boat crews as I pass them. Teeeheeeheee.

#23 Ballard Sailor

Ballard Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:59 PM

You'll have to get around last years winner of the "My House is Faster than Your House" trophy.

#24 Courtney K

Courtney K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:43 PM

You'll have to get around last years winner of the "My House is Faster than Your House" trophy.

And who might that be?

#25 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,719 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:24 AM

How long do I have to live on the boat to qualify?

#26 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:40 AM

Here is the latest link.

so, you're saying that NOT ONCE have you noticed any other sailboats around you on more or less the same tack?

Are you kidding? I've never been able to ride a bicycle, a motorcycle, or sail a boat without trying to catch the other guy.

Oh, absolutely and, I'd give it a good go. At the same time, this is a real good chance to learn something and let Kerry sit in the pilot house, sipping hot chocolate, while me and a few folks who have more racing experience than I, race our house.

I just don't consider myself having any real racing pedigree when it comes to boats larger than Hobie cats or my San Juan 21. Brigadoon has almost six times the sail area and weighs seven times my San Juan 21.

There's stuff I can larn here. :)

#27 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:11 AM

Here is the latest link.

Are you kidding? I've never been able to ride a bicycle, a motorcycle, or sail a boat without trying to catch the other guy.

Oh, absolutely and, I'd give it a good go. At the same time, this is a real good chance to learn something and let Kerry sit in the pilot house, sipping hot chocolate, while me and a few folks who have more racing experience than I, race our house.

I just don't consider myself having any real racing pedigree when it comes to boats larger than Hobie cats or my San Juan 21. Brigadoon has almost six times the sail area and weighs seven times my San Juan 21.

There's stuff I can larn here. :)

sounds like a blast

racing is a lot of fun and when I get older and slower, I'm going to race! ;)

#28 Ballard Sailor

Ballard Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:03 PM

You can read about last years race here. It was a blast with such a fun group of people. The winner was Vanadis, a Wasa 38 with liveaboards, Jennifer, MacIntosh and myself with some of our friends aboard. It's well worth doing and if we don't race Vanadis we'll certainly sail with someone else on their home.

As for the rules of how long you have to liveaboard - I can't remember exactly, but it wasn't prohibitively long. Maybe captain ocho can handle that one....

#29 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,719 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:32 PM

I can't wait to see the look on SWMBO's face when I tell her we are moving aboard the Sliver......if we sleep aboard every night that counts....right?

#30 Ballard Sailor

Ballard Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:27 PM

counts in my book.

#31 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:45 PM

I can't wait to see the look on SWMBO's face when I tell her we are moving aboard the Sliver......if we sleep aboard every night that counts....right?

If Sliver comes out to race it will be like going to the dog track and watching a greyhound go up against a pack of chiuauas.

"That boat that just went roaring by? Yeah, that's a Perry boat too."

#32 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,719 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:53 PM

If Sliver comes out to race it will be like going to the dog track and watching a greyhound go up against a pack of chiuauas.

I would like to believe she will slip silently through the water........making no wake.........

#33 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,254 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:55 PM

"And a double ender too."

Somehow I have a hard time imagining Kim and SWMBO "living" aboard the SLIVER. And I have an equally hard time imagining Kim bending the class rules just so he can qualify as a live aboard.
That's not the Kim I know.
Now me, I'd definetly do it.

#34 Jose Carumba

Jose Carumba

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:06 PM

Do they have a "Race Your Garden Shed" division. I can't quite live on it but I can store a lot of stuff in it...

Attached File  Surf City Mark Rounding.jpg   241.52K   11 downloads

#35 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,254 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:18 PM

Jose:
Your poor little boat is crying out for a bootstripe!

#36 Jose Carumba

Jose Carumba

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:00 PM

Jose:
Your poor little boat is crying out for a bootstripe!

A full paint job actually Bob. The bottom is smooth, faired and wet sanded but the topsides and deck really need some tlc. It's on the schedule but my first priority is to get all the gear and rigging the way I want it. I just replaced all of the standing rigging, halyards, sheets, outhaul, backstay tensioner and control lines and am working on the rocking mast step. The rudder is a real lump. I had a friend's fast rudder scanned and am in the process of tweaking it in the computer. I will have a core blank cnc machined and then lay up over it for a new rudder. Then the paint job.

Here are some images of the point cloud derived from the scan and the resulting surface patches. I am in the process of tweaking the shape and combining the surfaces.

Attached File  Rudder Pt Cloud.jpg   55.13K   17 downloads Attached File  Rudder Progress.jpg   87.95K   18 downloads

Sorry for the Hijack.

#37 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,719 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:04 PM

Somehow I have a hard time imagining Kim and SWMBO "living" aboard the SLIVER. And I have an equally hard time imagining Kim bending the class rules just so he can qualify as a live aboard.

I thought we were going to create the "Perry Sliver Class" so I could tell the racing lawyers that lifelines were against the "class rules".......(It appears that it works for the 6 meter Class..................)

So we will say sleeping aboard on occasion counts as living aboard.

#38 Jose Carumba

Jose Carumba

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:15 PM

I thought we were going to create the "Perry Sliver Class" so I could tell the racing lawyers that lifelines were against the "class rules".......(It appears that it works for the 6 meter Class..................)

Of course. Think of it as a vacation cabin.

#39 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:10 PM

man, if all it takes is falling asleep to qualify, I could sail a ladder.

#40 Ballard Sailor

Ballard Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:49 PM

man, if all it takes is falling asleep to qualify, I could sail a ladder.

What's it rate?

#41 Great White

Great White

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,164 posts
  • Interests:Racing, cruising, bicycle riding and touring, hiking, xcountry skiing.

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:17 AM

Gee, I "used" my J35 as my principle residence for 5 months when I did not have any other home. I should be able to qualify!

#42 Cherie320

Cherie320

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Interests:...

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:59 AM

Sons, I'll bet no one will have a problem if you enter a ladder in the race my house event.

#43 puddin

puddin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:52 AM

There's at least one very fast and angry chiuaua that I might put my money on this year.

#44 Beau.Vrolyk

Beau.Vrolyk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts
  • Interests:Sailing on any and everything that floats. Skiing when the rainfall turns semi-solid and white.

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:48 PM

Well, S'agapo isn't our house, but I'm trying not to clutter things up with new threads, so here we are racing out "Vacation Home", S'agapo, in the latest Double Angle Race. The wind was NOT what we are set up for, we never saw more than 10k and most of the time it was 5k.

In this one we're on the 11 mile tight reach to the middle of Monterey Bay. This was the first time out for the new Code Zero sail that sets free-flying on its own roller. For those who don't race, this is a sail that is rated as a spinnaker but shaped (as much as possible) like a blast-reacher or big genoa. In the video we're doing between 5.3 and 5.8 knots through the water in 4 to 4.5 knots of wind from an apparent wind angle of 50°.

In this one we're on the 12 mile run from the middle of Monterey Bay to Moss Landing. Again, not enough wind, but the oversized spinnaker and pole help keep us moving. Original pole was 10'3" long pole is 14'10". A friend wanted me to show him why we race with only 3 aboard, thus the commentary. Frankly, we probably should have done it double handed and saved another 150+ pounds aboard. My crew are great 5O5 sailors and terrific to sail with. No yelling, no fussing around, just smooth simple crew work. Makes me look a lot better than I am.

BV

#45 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:50 PM

We're waiting on our provisional rating. We have a crew. We cast off from our marina tomorrow to make our way through two bridges and the locks to Shilshole for the Race Your House event.

This should be pretty fun.

#46 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,704 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:56 AM

Excellent, I hope you have a great time. :)

#47 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,325 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:19 AM

We're waiting on our provisional rating. We have a crew. We cast off from our marina tomorrow to make our way through two bridges and the locks to Shilshole for the Race Your House event.

You certainly have the right boat for the weather. Dunno about you, but it's pissing it down here.

Have fun and sail safe!

#48 Estar

Estar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,572 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:12 AM

Have to brag just a little. . . I entered Hawk in her first 'official' race. A point to point on the CCA Chesapeake station fall cruise. I was single handing, with enough fuel to cross the Atlantic twice, 300' of chain in the bow and 1000 Ahs of batteries in the stern . . . . against crewed race boats and bay racer/cruisers . . . . and we finished first over the line (and probably first on estimated handicap, but Hawk does not have an official handicap so was not elegible for any silverware).

It was Hawk's kind of weather - the start and first long leg was in 28 apparent upwind. Then there was a wind shift where there was a huge vertical gradient and we kept some wind on the top of the sails while smaller masts did not. And we were fortunate that the main competitor boat made a tactical mistake - let us split tacks and get a lot of leverage on them just before the wind shift.

But still not a bad showing at all for our house in her first outing.

#49 Joli

Joli

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:04 AM

Congratulations Estar, always fun to get the gun and even better to be on the inside of the lift.

#50 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,704 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:59 AM

Have to brag just a little. . . I entered Hawk in her first 'official' race. A point to point on the CCA Chesapeake station fall cruise. I was single handing, with enough fuel to cross the Atlantic twice, 300' of chain in the bow and 1000 Ahs of batteries in the stern . . . . against crewed race boats and bay racer/cruisers . . . . and we finished first over the line (and probably first on estimated handicap, but Hawk does not have an official handicap so was not elegible for any silverware).

It was Hawk's kind of weather - the start and first long leg was in 28 apparent upwind. Then there was a wind shift where there was a huge vertical gradient and we kept some wind on the top of the sails while smaller masts did not. And we were fortunate that the main competitor boat made a tactical mistake - let us split tacks and get a lot of leverage on them just before the wind shift.

So, you're entering the Annapolis to Bermuda race next time then, right? :)

#51 Tucky

Tucky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:23 PM

Congrats- if you are on the Maine cruise next year, I'll have a go :) I can't say I'll be racing my house, but I will be racing my camp.

#52 Courtney K

Courtney K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:59 PM

Well if the weather is anything like it is today, you should be killing it out there. I hope you guys win! Take photos!!!

#53 Estar

Estar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,572 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:22 PM

Need crew . . . you get seasick? :)

More seriously, I don't like the Cat 1 requirements and will not be meeting them, so can't do the formal offshore races.

Congrats- if you are on the Maine cruise next year, I'll have a go :) I can't say I'll be racing my house, but I will be racing my camp.

That might be fair if you carried half my ground tackle . . . and we waited to race in a force 9 with 5m waves . . . otherwise I am sure you would eat our lunch.

I am wondring how many point to point SIs are written carefully enough to prevent you from putting the boat on the trailer and driving it to near the finish line.

#54 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,254 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

It's blowing hard here with gusts to 35 and pissing down rain.
Glad that BJ has a ph boat. I'll sit in the house with my thermos and point.

#55 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,325 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

Need crew . . . you get seasick :)

More seriously, I don't like the Cat 1 requirements and will not be meeting them, so can't do the formal offshore races.

That might be fair if you carried half my ground tackle . . . and we waited to race in a force 9 with 5m waves . . . otherwise I am sure you would eat our lunch.

I am wondring how many point to point SIs are written carefully enough to prevent you from putting the boat on the trailer and driving it to near the finish line.

I think that's legal for any boat over 60 feet.

#56 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,704 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:51 PM

Need crew . . . you get seasick? :)

Ah, that's right. We had discussed the Cat 1 requirements. I do agree with your points BTW.

Yeah, I get seasick occasionally, but I always rally and can still function. It takes a specific wave set to screw me up, and if you let me drive, I can fight it off. I've never actually taken a motion sick remedy either, so maybe if I tried some medicine I'd avoid getting sick altogether.

#57 Estar

Estar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,572 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:11 PM

Ah, that's right. We had discussed the Cat 1 requirements. I do agree with your points BTW.

Yeah, I get seasick occasionally, but I always rally and can still function. It takes a specific wave set to screw me up, and if you let me drive, I can fight it off. I've never actually taken a motion sick remedy either, so maybe if I tried some medicine I'd avoid getting sick altogether.

Actually that's just like me. I often get seasick the first 3 or so nights on passage (interestingly only when I am captain, never when I am crew and never when I am singlehanding - a stress/responsibility thing I guess), but it does not slow me down much. Sturgeon eliminates it for me, but I hate taking drugs and would rather be seasick.

I hauled yesterday, not sure how long its going to take (doing some soda blasting). But it would be great fun to get you out sailing on Hawk. I need some extra hands and you might enjoy it, and we can put your corkscrew to more and better use! By the way -now that I am 'racing' - it's too heavy - I have to find a lighter one :)

#58 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,704 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:08 PM

Ha! Ok, I'll start researching "carbon fiber corkscrews and wine bottle openers".

#59 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,254 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:23 PM

Why bother. There are some very nice NZ and Tasmanian wines with screw caps. You just need to let the reds breath a little longer than you would with a cork.

#60 Estar

Estar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,572 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:47 PM

Why bother. There are some very nice NZ and Tasmanian wines with screw caps. You just need to let the reds breath a little longer than you would with a cork.

Bob, you start down that path and suddenly you are drinking wine out of plastic bags. That would in fact be light! But there is something about the cork and the glass bottle that enhances the experience of enjoying wine - might I even say the "Art" of wine :)

We drank a lot of box wine in Chile - good stuff and inexpensive, but not much romance.

#61 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,362 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:01 PM

Aren't wine boxes just disguised juice boxes for adults?

#62 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,254 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:14 PM

Ok Evans. You go ahead and be old fashioned about it but I am serious about my wines and you would be very surprised at the quality wines that now come in screw caps. I really like NZ Sav Blancs and I think just about all of them come in screw caps. The Tassy Pinots Anom brought back both had screw caps and they were very good wines.

#63 Jose Carumba

Jose Carumba

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:18 PM

It's blowing hard here with gusts to 35 and pissing down rain.
Glad that BJ has a ph boat. I'll sit in the house with my thermos and point.

So BJ is going to have a rock star crew eh? Don't forget some nice warm slippers Bob, and your pipe.

Knock 'em dead BJ!

Edit: It seems the cork shortage has caused some very good vintners to go the screw cap route. I've had some very good wines lately that came with screw caps.

#64 Estar

Estar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,572 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:44 PM

Ok Evans. You go ahead and be old fashioned about it but I am serious about my wines and you would be very surprised at the quality wines that now come in screw caps. I really like NZ Sav Blancs and I think just about all of them come in screw caps. The Tassy Pinots Anom brought back both had screw caps and they were very good wines.

Ah, well you (and others here) probably actually know something about wine. I am just a wine poser, and a bottle and cork help when posing :)

#65 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,254 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:49 PM

Evans:
I have tried to make a hobby out of studying wine. Better to be an oenophile than a wino.
The bad news is that I am a wine snob and very particular, pretty much, about the wine I drink. At least I like to think I am.

Jose:
Did you mean "rock star crew" or "rocking chair crew"?

#66 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,704 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:10 PM

Evans:
I have tried to make a hobby out of studying wine. Better to be an oenophile than a wino.
The bad news is that I am a wine snob and very particular, pretty much, about the wine I drink. At least I like to think I am.

Jose:

Crap, that's going to make things difficult for me when I buy my "guest" bottle that I usually bring when I'm a guest in people's homes.

#67 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:12 PM

I just had one of those screw cap Tassy Pinots with A2 last weekend! Very good.

#68 Jose Carumba

Jose Carumba

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:13 PM

Evans:

Jose:

Yes.

#69 J24Soup

J24Soup

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:30 PM

Great thread, love it, good luck with the race...

#70 olaf hart

olaf hart

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:19 PM

And that's just the start of it.

#71 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,325 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:21 PM

The screw caps also reduce the spoilage rate of wine by 90+%. I like 'em.

#72 Estar

Estar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,572 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:28 PM

Crap, that's going to make things difficult for me when I buy my "guest" bottle that I usually bring when I'm a guest in people's homes.

Ajax, here's a suggested plan for you: buy a great bottle of wine (I guess with a screw top). Drink it with a pretty girl at sunset. Have wild and crazy sex. Buy a medium price box chilean wine, decant it into the screw-top bottle. Take it as the "guest" bottle to Bob's for dinner. Open it (so no-one knows its already been unscrewed) and pour. Talk about what a magnificent dry lightly earthy flavor it has. If anyone gives you an odd look just switch to talking about sailing.

#73 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,254 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:32 PM

Evans:
I don't like Chilean Malbecs. Malbec is a blending wine. But they have a lot do they try to sell it to us. I suspect they have some nice ones but I don;t think they reach us.
I could tell in an instant that Ajax had served me shit wine. I could probably tell by the nose before tasting it. My nose is a finely tuned instrument, a finely crafted diggereedoo.
Any time any of you want to test me on this I invite the challenge.

DB

#74 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,362 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:15 PM

I'm screwed.

#75 Estar

Estar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,572 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:17 PM

Bob,

With my proposal, Ajax is going to be so dazed from the sex the night before he won't know or care if you throw up at the Chilean stuff.

When we were down there I was told, by Chileans who should know, that they do in fact have world class good stuff but mostly keep it to themselves. We stayed with a rather wealthy couple who own the Chilean wine magazine (one of their daughters runs it) and several vineyards (and oh by the way a copper mine and a forest and a newspaper - the wealth is pretty concentrated down there). They saw us anchored off their summer house one night, asked us to dinner and we hit it off and spent quite a bit of time with them.

But I certainly think the PNW CA gang should take Bob up on this challenge and give him a blind smelling and then taste testing session, and report back.

Evans

Evans:
I don't like Chilean Malbecs. Malbec is a blending wine. But they have a lot do they try to sell it to us. I suspect they have some nice ones but I don;t think they reach us.
I could tell in an instant that Ajax had served me shit wine. I could probably tell by the nose before tasting it. My nose is a finely tuned instrument, a finely crafted diggereedoo.
Any time any of you want to test me on this I invite the challenge.

DB

#76 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,254 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:52 PM

Evans:
That is pretty typical. The best stuff never leaves the country.
Or, it's the other way around ( LOCAL HERO) the locals can't afford not to sell the good stuff.
I don't doubt Chile can produce world class wines. I'm sure, know it or not, you have had some served to you.
I just won't be buying them at the Snohomish County Farmer's Coop.
" I think we have some. It's over by the salt licks."
I don't need no stinkin Fashion Island and Rodeo Drive and Saville Row.
I've got the Farmer's Coop where I have a member ship.
So I got that going for me.
Worked this morning on ND's boat. We have made some changes to the layout.
Waiting to light my fireplace.
Went to Silvana Meats, a most amazing drive, better in a Porsche like kdhs's, but I enjoy it in my Outback and I like the smell of large bovines. (Google Silvana meats)
Bought a leg of lamb that looks like it came off Godzilla. I mean, this must have been a Merino ram. The mother of all rams.
Paps and Olaf would laugh their asses off if they saw the size of this thing. "It's mutton and that's the end of it."
Lamb my ass. My mother always said, "American don't know what lamb is."
I'm going to have to whip up some of my secret lamb sauce ( Smuckers plum jam, Worchestershire sauce and balsamic vinegar with lots of pepper) and drown this humungous haunch.
The really bad part,,,,,,,$75.
But Max. Stacy and my darling Violet are coming up Sunday and I know Max loves lamb.
Violet will go for her second swim in the pool.

#77 olaf hart

olaf hart

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:59 PM

I have about 24 of those legs grazing in the paddock next door to the house.
They sure aren't lambs either, will probably be the only sheep in Tasmania to die of old age.
Still, 24 x $75 sounds all right.
At the moment they just keep the grass down.

#78 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,254 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:04 PM

Olaf:
Oh Yeah, well I know better. You would not eat this lamb.
I grew up pretty poor but we often ate lamb. My mom would say "Mutton is for poor people". She would never have served us mutton. Vegemite sandwiches but not mutton.Was it you who posted thje pics of the leg of lamb in the pot this week? I'd kill for a leg of lamb like that. I'd even tow it around with a barbed hook in it's mouth. No offense intended.
What do you mean "24 times $75 sounds all right" I don't want to buy the fucking front legs.

#79 Beau.Vrolyk

Beau.Vrolyk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:09 PM

My dad used to refer to lamb as a self-propelled lawnmower that you can eat.

#80 Tucky

Tucky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:11 PM

Damn every thread going is going to food and drink. I'm going sailing, hopefully I'll eat and drink.

#81 olaf hart

olaf hart

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:12 PM

Wasn't me.

Lamb shoulder isn't too bad either.

Have a mate who regularly slaughters a few lambs on Bruny Island, that place is lamb heaven.
Just gave him an old SSB that came with the new boat, so looking forward to filling the freezer soon.

It's a bit empty, we just finished off the salmon from the last fish farm escape.
Seals are good for something around here.

#82 olaf hart

olaf hart

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:14 PM

My dad used to refer to lamb as a self-propelled lawnmower that you can eat.

They sure are stupid though.
I wish someone had made a dog that eats grass.

#83 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,254 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:14 PM

The answer to this leg of lamb is PEPPER JELLY.
You smear enough of hot pepper jelly on it and you could eat your topsider.
Plus, I make a damn good lamb gravy. I cook everything in the same pot, carrots, spuds, onions, parsnips. My mother called it a "baked dinner". It's best to peel the spuds. I almost never do that but with a lamb baked dinner it's best to peel the spuds. They get a nice almost crisp skin on them.

#84 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:26 PM

When Ann and I first met we used to grill lamb. I just asked Ann about it and she said it was shank but I'm almost sure it was shoulder. Grilled. Good.

Ann and I first meeting reminds me of Estar writing about "wild and crazy" sex. I've never had that. It reminds me of Steve Martin and his "wild and crazy guy." I know I've never had wild and crazy sex.

Bob that dish sounds good.

#85 Jose Carumba

Jose Carumba

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:24 AM

I love lamb. It's wonderful. I never get to eat it at home though because my wife and kids can't stand it. I'm baffled by that.

#86 Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,744 posts
  • Interests:Learning to adjust to retirement...so far, so good.

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:36 AM

I love lamb. It's wonderful. I never get to eat it at home though because my wife and kids can't stand it. I'm baffled by that.

Because it smells like you are grilling a 3 year old, Gill sailing glove...and mine aren't allowed in the car let alone on the grill

I love my old gloves (hate lamb)

#87 Estar

Estar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,572 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:39 AM

Damn every thread going is going to food and drink. I'm going sailing, hopefully I'll eat and drink.

I still have some freeze dried left over from the summer if you need some :)

I know I've never had wild and crazy sex.

You would know if you had . . . the mixture of regret (for the loss of control) but deep longing for more.

You could start with 3 cheerleaders and some whipped cream and chocolate sauce . . . . I was a bit out of control in my early 30's . . . but that's a long way behind me now.

#88 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,254 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:44 AM

Jose;
Time you came on up.
We can take that racy swhartz car of yours and drive to Silvana, pick up a leg o' mutton ( on account of that's all we can get) and zoom back to the shack and have us a good lamb dinner. Trust me, I know how to do this.

All you have to do is show up.
Oh you had better book ahead because my weekends are extremely busy.
Right.

#89 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,325 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:31 AM

I have had wild and crazy sex, several times...what can I say? It was great fun and I never caught anything fatal.

For lamb, you need Saltspring Island lamb. Like at the Saturna Canada Day Lamb Barbecue and Hollerin' Match. 73 lambs, take your choice of cuts right off the rack.

Attached File  saturna bbq.jpg   180.34K   9 downloads

#90 Paps

Paps

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:11 AM

Well, S'agapo isn't our house, but I'm trying not to clutter things up with new threads, so here we are racing out "Vacation Home", S'agapo, in the latest Double Angle Race. The wind was NOT what we are set up for, we never saw more than 10k and most of the time it was 5k.

In this one we're on the 11 mile tight reach to the middle of Monterey Bay. This was the first time out for the new Code Zero sail that sets free-flying on its own roller. For those who don't race, this is a sail that is rated as a spinnaker but shaped (as much as possible) like a blast-reacher or big genoa. In the video we're doing between 5.3 and 5.8 knots through the water in 4 to 4.5 knots of wind from an apparent wind angle of 50°.

In this one we're on the 12 mile run from the middle of Monterey Bay to Moss Landing. Again, not enough wind, but the oversized spinnaker and pole help keep us moving. Original pole was 10'3" long pole is 14'10". A friend wanted me to show him why we race with only 3 aboard, thus the commentary. Frankly, we probably should have done it double handed and saved another 150+ pounds aboard. My crew are great 5O5 sailors and terrific to sail with. No yelling, no fussing around, just smooth simple crew work. Makes me look a lot better than I am.

BV

Jeez Beau that lens made me feel a bit seasick!

Most wine here is under screwcap, I love it. No "corked" let downs at the worst times.

Bob the secret to nice Mutton is slow cooking. Its having a resurgence at the moment. Do your regular marinade the night before. Put the Lamb in a 320-350F/160-170C oven with foil over it, cook for 2 hrs. Remove foil and baste regularly for another hour. Remove from oven and cover while "roast dinner" vegies are cooking in a hot oven, put Mutton back in to reheat or brown if necessary about 15 mins before serving.

Or have it boned and "butterflied" cut open and flattened, maybe with mutton cut in a few pieces to get even cooking. Marinate for at least 24 hrs in lemon juice, rosemary, garlic and paprika. I use a big zip lock bag. Use your favorite slow BBQ method and voila Greek BBQed sheep.

Attached File  bfly lamb.JPG   25.04K   0 downloads

Attached File  butterflied-leg-of-lamb_display.jpg   44.26K   0 downloads

Serve Lamb pink, Mutton or Hogget slow cooked, well done.

Brilliant for Goat too, actually my personal preference.

Attached Files

#91 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,254 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:39 AM

Paps:
I have the monster bone in. I suppose I could butterfyl it after all I started working in butcher's shops when I was 10 years old in Sydney. I loved it. I had an honest job. I had my own apron. I didn't have to sell papers at Randwick ( sp) like my mates. I can do that. I know my way around a knife. But I like the bone in.
I will slow cook it as you recommend. The trick will be to know when to throw the vegies in. But I'm a clever sort of chap when it comes to the old stove. I can do this.
I don't usually use foil . We didn't have foil when I was a kid. We used an old wombat skin. I'll give the foil a try.
Couldn't find a wombat this arvo.

#92 Paps

Paps

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:44 AM

Look forward to hearing the results.

#93 Jose Carumba

Jose Carumba

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:50 AM

I love my old gloves (hate lamb)

How do you prepare them? I jear you have to cook them palm side up.

#94 Jose Carumba

Jose Carumba

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:55 AM

Jose;
Time you came on up.
We can take that racy swhartz car of yours and drive to Silvana, pick up a leg o' mutton ( on account of that's all we can get) and zoom back to the shack and have us a good lamb dinner. Trust me, I know how to do this.

All you have to do is show up.
Oh you had better book ahead because my weekends are extremely busy.
Right.

Mmmm. Sounds good Bob. I'll be in touch.

#95 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:20 PM

I know I've never had wild and crazy sex.

You would know if you had . . . the mixture of regret (for the loss of control) but deep longing for more.

You could start with 3 cheerleaders and some whipped cream and chocolate sauce . . . . I was a bit out of control in my early 30's . . . but that's a long way behind me now.

I like to think with those basic materials I could manage it. Now I just need the go-ahead from Mrs K.

#96 Estar

Estar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,572 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:51 PM

Most wine here is under screwcap, I love it. No "corked" let downs at the worst times.

That makes perfect sense because there is extensive engineering evidence that wine corks don't work as well when stored upside down.

I like to think with those basic materials I could manage it. Now I just need the go-ahead from Mrs K.

I think you may be missing the key point . . . this is about losing control, not asking for permission!

Its a young man's folly in any case.

I suspect as a mature quant you would need a decade of therapy to break the habits of being analytical and careful, and Mrs K probably likes you how you are.

As an aside, Corvettes work better than Porsche as 'wild and crazy sex' magnets.

#97 Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,744 posts
  • Interests:Learning to adjust to retirement...so far, so good.

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:20 PM

So BJ is going to have a rock star crew eh? Don't forget some nice warm slippers Bob, and your pipe.

So off they go...Bob could use a haircut...windage.

Attached Files

#98 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,204 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:31 PM

Ever read the story about Einstein sailing....

OK downwind, but the neighbor or their kids would have to go retrieve him, because he had a tough time figuring how to sail to weather.

#99 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:54 PM

Estar, I know, I know.

Ann & I met in a math program. I'd studied engineering beforehand, and was blown away by the promiscuity of mathematicians. Haven't looked back.

I love the stingray corvettes. My nephews tell me a porsche is an old man's car. Reasonable conclusion, as that's who drives them, mostly.

Posted Image

#100 Estar

Estar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,572 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:42 PM

I don't mean to hijack Ajax;'s thread . . . but ^^ re corvettes and girls, I was think of something more like this:

Attached File  550_photo-2.jpg   25.96K   14 downloads

or perhaps

Attached File  classic-corvette-girl.jpg   163.51K   12 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users