74 replies to this topic

#1 JaredC

JaredC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:36 PM

Be nice (riiiight... Posted Image). The skipper had his head firmly inside the boat and the rest of us didn't exactly offer much guidance. Lesson learned by all.

Olson 30 Crash Testing

#2 some dude

some dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,023 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:43 PM

Jib trimmer is fired. Also whoever had the bright idea to try that mOve with the new boat.

#3 RumBulls

RumBulls

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,336 posts
  • Interests:Was J24s
    Now is Olson30s

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:44 PM

did you flag that other boat?... that's one hell of an obstruction...lol

#4 JaredC

JaredC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:48 PM

did you flag that other boat?... that's one hell of an obstruction...lol

It's one hell of a mark of the course. The CG just recently replaced the old RG "BP" buoy, used as the first weather mark for almost all of our harbor races, with this new daymark. It's a miracle that the thing isn't covered in little bits of sail.

#5 MisterMoon

MisterMoon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:51 PM

Damn lucky they didn't rip any sails. DAMHIKT. :D

#6 Hitchhiker

Hitchhiker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:16 PM

Errrr, You're supposed to sail clear of the race area and do penalty turns after hitting a mark. DOH :blink:

#7 JaredC

JaredC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:44 PM

Errrr, You're supposed to sail clear of the race area and do penalty turns after hitting a mark. DOH :blink:

You're supposed to watch the rest of the video. I left the 360 in there, played at 4X speed, just for you. Posted Image

#8 ropetrick

ropetrick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:44 PM

That is so cool.

And it makes our tactician look good.

#9 schakel

schakel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:39 PM

They just fucked up???
Amusing?? Well, I don't know.....

#10 Ryley

Ryley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Photography, Sailing, Mountain Biking.. did I mention sailing?

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:44 PM

Jib trimmer is fired. Also whoever had the bright idea to try that mOve with the new boat.

+1

Probably wouldn't have hit that post if the jib had cleared on the second tack.

#11 d'ranger

d'ranger

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,321 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:59 PM

That's going to leave a mark.........

#12 coyotepup

coyotepup

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:24 PM

Solid chute hoist though.

#13 davidweil

davidweil

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:Racing, maritime law

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:57 PM

Was it just the limited audio on the GoPro or was everyone on the boat as quiet as it seems in the video? Most boats would have had a screaming festival after (during) a move like that. Just sayin . . .

#14 drew1787

drew1787

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:03 PM

Two of us trimming, one releasing and the other one trimming in. On the new tack, as you can see when we come back on to starboard both of us head to port to trim and the sheet was never released properly. I'm not sure if we would have made it (current running right to left at the mark at about 3-4 knots), it didn't help but might have save the sail since the bow man was able to keep it of the mark when it was back winded. Just glad the boat was not damaged other than a few marks on the hull.

#15 USA190520

USA190520

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:28 AM

Be nice (riiiight... Posted Image). The skipper had his head firmly inside the boat and the rest of us didn't exactly offer much guidance. Lesson learned by all.

Olson 30 Crash Testing

Who's the guy you have on board to destroy genoas?

He's fucking good.

#16 MSA

MSA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:42 AM

Two of us trimming, one releasing and the other one trimming in. On the new tack, as you can see when we come back on to starboard both of us head to port to trim and the sheet was never released properly. I'm not sure if we would have made it (current running right to left at the mark at about 3-4 knots), it didn't help but might have save the sail since the bow man was able to keep it of the mark when it was back winded. Just glad the boat was not damaged other than a few marks on the hull.

Justify it all you like.. the Video tells the story, 1st tack was a shocker and boat speed was down, 2nd tack... well you can see the bow continually fall away (You call that a hard tack, bear away) .. Would have cleared it easy had they been 1/2 decent.

Not taking a stab at you.. But man up, admit it.. no excuses needed.

#17 drew1787

drew1787

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:16 AM

Justify it all you like.. the Video tells the story, 1st tack was a shocker and boat speed was down, 2nd tack... well you can see the bow continually fall away (You call that a hard tack, bear away) .. Would have cleared it easy had they been 1/2 decent.

I guess you didn't read it that well.......

#18 USA190520

USA190520

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:37 AM

What was the deal with the first tack?

#19 drew1787

drew1787

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:18 AM

What was the deal with the first tack?

There was some talk about ducking the J120 but they also were being pulled by the current. We were just in a bad place at the wrong time.

#20 walterbshaffer

walterbshaffer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,014 posts
  • Interests:Formerly Member No. 9720

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:25 AM

BP = Boat problem.

Was there an asshole on the sheet at the block or in a self tailer? I have never seen anything like that happen ever before anywhere no matter what.

#21 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,659 posts
  • Interests:cycling, skiing and depressing the competition on the race course

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:31 AM

Olson 30 Crash Testing

Clueless comes to mind.

#22 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,526 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:34 AM

Olson 30 Crash Testing

Clueless comes to mind.

I licke that movee to.....butte donte remeber any saling in it :)

#23 MSA

MSA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:22 AM

I read it, The video tells the story without bias.. I just saw excuses. And then an attempt to justify it with "it may have saved the sail" Luck is the only reason that sail didn't rip.. 99.9% of the time it would have exploded!

A simple, "I fucked up, how many jugs do I buy?" is all that is needed.

#24 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,659 posts
  • Interests:cycling, skiing and depressing the competition on the race course

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:02 AM

Olson 30 Crash Testing

Clueless comes to mind.

I licke that movee to.....butte donte remeber any saling in it :)

I don't call that what they did it that video sailing. :lol:

#25 Somebody Else

Somebody Else

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,972 posts
  • Interests:Shootings, just like HotRod!

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:44 AM

No wonder there were problems; that one trimmer had his cap on BACKWARD!
Prob'ly thought the bow was the stern, too.

#26 NaptownChick

NaptownChick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 04:38 PM

Eh looks like charleston sailing as usual. Hitting BP seemed to almost be a pasttime for some of the boats there.

#27 Dawg Gonit

Dawg Gonit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,051 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:03 PM

That's what I'm gonna do.................Post a video of me, fucking up big time, in my new boat slamming a mark after some really por boat and sail handling. :lol: :lol: :lol:

That should only have been used in a post race debrief, ;) on how not to ever do it again.

#28 JaredC

JaredC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:33 AM

The audio is accurate. Screamers don't get invited back...

#29 isma

isma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:41 AM

The guy who grabbed the boom at least twice that I saw needs to be banished to lasers for at least a year. Does not know anything about sailing. I don't do that shit on 70's.

#30 Former MDR Vandal 1

Former MDR Vandal 1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:06 PM

Screamers don't get invited back...

Apparently, sailors don't get invited at all ...

#31 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:11 PM

Errhh WRONG. You simply have to be clear of any other boat as you have not right of way while you are doing your turn. Don't pontificate on rules if you don't understand them

As for the rest... I didn't see a decent jib trim RELEASE in the whole sequence.

And WTF is the guy doing on the bow during the hoist? Put the end of the pole on the lifelines. That way as toppy goes up the pole doesn't get trapped. THE ONLY time Fdeck should actually be forward of the hatch is in pulling down the #1 or #2 and refeeding it into the feeder (leave the #3 up with the kite)

#32 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:The usual stuff.

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:18 PM

Good on you for posting it. Remember these things are viral and take on a life of their own. We race (and are friends) with a boat that has the girl from the infamous Capri25 vid as crew. Every now and then, someone comes buy and says 'I've got NOTHING! I've got NOTHING'!

#33 Squalamax

Squalamax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,226 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:09 PM

Olson 30 Crash Testing

Clueless comes to mind.

+1000

#34 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,306 posts
  • Interests:...pimping HOOTs
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:29 AM

....gotta say it's pretty humble of you t'post such a video,
,,,I'll bet most times something like that happens on go-pro,shortly after you hear a little 'splash' ;)

#35 killapenguin

killapenguin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:28 AM

After a hit like that, I would do a very thorough inspection of the rig. Shrouds, forestay, backstay, spreaders, tangs, chainplates, etc.

#36 RobbieB

RobbieB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:28 PM

Ok everyone. 1st, props to the post for our enjoyment and ridicule. I'm sure he knew the ass ripping that would accur posting that here. 2nd, I've sailed w/the guy who owns this boat, (not on this boat w/him but his previous boat) and he's pretty new to this stuff. This was his first race on this boat and probably the 3rd time actually sailing it. He bought it and went straight to the trailer for a huge deck re-coring project that he did on his own and did a great job. This weekend he was lovingly fixing the toe rail from this hit. Yes, he put himself in a bad position, yes-the tacks sucked from a trim and driver perspective. However, they'll be back at it tomorrow and will continue trying. Guess what? People like this getting into it is how our sport GROWS assholes!!!!! We're not ALL Dennis Conners from the first minute we begin sailing and if we all waited to be that good before getting on the race course the starting lines would be much, much thinner.

Big props for not fouling another boat. All the damamge was self inflicted and self contained to them and the new channel marker. If you're gonna fuck up try not to fuck someone else up in the process and they did that well.

#37 movable ballast

movable ballast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:52 PM

Props for posting the vid, that takes so humility. Having said that, sometines someone needs to scream "watch the mark".

#38 simbert

simbert

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:07 PM

look at how bendy the ladder was, it had been done before, no biggy :)

#39 Kmag

Kmag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Surfing, Snowboarding

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:02 PM

I remember my first time sailing

#40 One eye Jack

One eye Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • Location:Reno,Nv. San Francisco Bay , Santa Cruz,Ca. Tahoe,Nv
  • Interests:Sailing. I shot a man in Reno.. Just to watch him die..

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:04 PM

1343737725[/url]' post='3807146']
Ok everyone. 1st, props to the post for our enjoyment and ridicule. I'm sure he knew the ass ripping that would accur posting that here. 2nd, I've sailed w/the guy who owns this boat, (not on this boat w/him but his previous boat) and he's pretty new to this stuff. This was his first race on this boat and probably the 3rd time actually sailing it. He bought it and went straight to the trailer for a huge deck re-coring project that he did on his own and did a great job. This weekend he was lovingly fixing the toe rail from this hit. Yes, he put himself in a bad position, yes-the tacks sucked from a trim and driver perspective. However, they'll be back at it tomorrow and will continue trying. Guess what? People like this getting into it is how our sport GROWS assholes!!!!! We're not ALL Dennis Conners from the first minute we begin sailing and if we all waited to be that good before getting on the race course the starting lines would be much, much thinner.

Big props for not fouling another boat. All the damamge was self inflicted and self contained to them and the new channel marker. If you're gonna fuck up try not to fuck someone else up in the process and they did that well.

I bet that any post here that was ragging on the owner has in the past either done as bad or worse. It is not if you are going to fall in, but when are you. It is easy to call the owner an idiot when one is sitting hidden behind a computer.Then there are those that will admit that they have screwed up and can laugh with the owner, instead of at him.where are you? Nobody was hurt.. That's all that counts. And yes Olson30s are tough boats, they were built by craftsmen not some illegal and a chop gun.

#41 JaredC

JaredC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:02 AM

RobbieB is my hero. Why didn't you come out for our drift-fest today?

Some of you clearly need to go sailing more often; you'll probably do something dumb at some point, and when it happens, I hope you have the ability to laugh about it the way I/we do. I learned something from the experience - next time I won't assume that the guys in the back of the boat have a good plan. Posted Image

#42 Silverbullet

Silverbullet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:14 AM

Good on you for posting it. Remember these things are viral and take on a life of their own. We race (and are friends) with a boat that has the girl from the infamous Capri25 vid as crew. Every now and then, someone comes buy and says 'I've got NOTHING! I've got NOTHING'!

That deserves a re-post.

#43 zzrider

zzrider

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, motorcycling

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:30 AM

RobbieB is my hero. Why didn't you come out for our drift-fest today?

Some of you clearly need to go sailing more often; you'll probably do something dumb at some point, and when it happens, I hope you have the ability to laugh about it the way I/we do. I learned something from the experience - next time I won't assume that the guys in the back of the boat have a good plan. Posted Image

Kudos. I love that you had the humility and balls to post that little oopsie vid. I'm presently boatless myself and wasn't a racer when I had my last boat, and when I'm finally able to once again get out there on my own boat, I've toyed with thoughts of trying my hand with some casual racing. I gotta tell you though, the merciless assripping you took on this thread really, really turns me off to opening myself up to this abuse and makes me wonder if it's worth it. I gotta say, if I fucked up and put myself in a bad spot like you found yourself, I probably would have done the same thing and kissed the mark rather than risking hitting or fouling another boat.

#44 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,473 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:18 AM

Nice work Jared. Front page, here ya come!

Damn, I miss Charleston on a nice summer night

#45 RobbieB

RobbieB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:59 AM

Then you've been missing us every night this summer. Tuesday's are Patriots Point CofC 420 racing with post race chats by Greg Fisher. Wednesday's CORA PHRF bouy races in the harbor and Thursday's "run what'cha brung" racing off the dock at JIYC. Of course the summer open series at JIYC, ChYC and CYC this past weekend.....I hate living here.

#46 JaredC

JaredC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:35 PM

Then you've been missing us every night this summer. Tuesday's are Patriots Point CofC 420 racing with post race chats by Greg Fisher. Wednesday's CORA PHRF bouy races in the harbor and Thursday's "run what'cha brung" racing off the dock at JIYC. Of course the summer open series at JIYC, ChYC and CYC this past weekend.....I hate living here.

Yes, it's awful, I've only managed to race sailboats 2 nights a week this summer (on average).

Clean - you should make a trip down for one of our Tuesday night 420 battles before the season ends. It's like adult bumper boats, with some "proper course" screaming thrown in.

#47 RobbieB

RobbieB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:52 PM

Yes, it's awful, I've only managed to race sailboats 2 nights a week this summer (on average).

Clean - you should make a trip down for one of our Tuesday night 420 battles before the season ends. It's like adult bumper boats, with some "proper course" screaming thrown in.

It's a real spectator sport. One time I got so sandwiched into a leeward mark pinwheel rounding with 6 boats that I just let go of the tiller and let the group spin me around.

#48 JaredC

JaredC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:05 PM

It's a real spectator sport. One time I got so sandwiched into a leeward mark pinwheel rounding with 6 boats that I just let go of the tiller and let the group spin me around.

You're learning.

#49 knuckles

knuckles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:27 PM

I bet that any post here that was ragging on the owner has in the past either done as bad or worse.

I have a feeling most of the folks slagging the video have not hit a fixed government mark.

#50 RobbieB

RobbieB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:06 PM

BP gets it's share of customers. A few weeks ago a J24 left a chunk of it hull there. Punched a hole right through the boat just in front of the stbd forward bulkhead. Looked like someone whacked it out with a hatchet. Sails meet their demise there too.

#51 JaredC

JaredC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:27 PM

BP was much harder to hit when it floated around at the end of a mooring chain...

#52 Shaggy

Shaggy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,576 posts
  • Interests:This is SA, you figure it out.......

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:39 PM

Hey!!!! You scratched my Channel marker...........:ph34r:

Someone had to say it....... :lol:

#53 One eye Jack

One eye Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • Location:Reno,Nv. San Francisco Bay , Santa Cruz,Ca. Tahoe,Nv
  • Interests:Sailing. I shot a man in Reno.. Just to watch him die..

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:11 PM

1343838476[/url]' post='3808797']

1343775848[/url]' post='3807957']I bet that any post here that was ragging on the owner has in the past either done as bad or worse.

I have a feeling most of the folks slagging the video have not hit a fixed government mark.

Probably not a government owned, but let's see above water rocks, below water rocks, gone aground, hitting docks, other boats, sleeping whales, and then there are those pesky government owned buoys, they just pop up out of nowhere, bridges and where do you want to me to stop? I'm starting to get a cramp in my fingers.

#54 Sheethead

Sheethead

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Interests:Sierra Nevada, Harpoon, Bushmills, Mt. Gay, Svedka

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:25 PM

That was lame! Who does that???

Committee boats are better targets :blink:

#55 Ray Dunn

Ray Dunn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:26 PM

I was driving, so I'm the asshole and this was my first (and hopefully last) time to hit a governement mark (inflatable race marks are another matter). The poor crew were at my mercy, but I think they did about as much as they could- even Drew for backing the jib. True, the boat parked rather quickly (the wind tanking made sure of that), but if he hadn't and if Jared hadn't gathered the genoa, it would likely have been shredded on the mark. A combination of things happened that were new to me- new boat, a genoa with no window blocking the J120, so I tacked back too early and of course hit the mark. It never ceases to amaze me how quickly that current will move a boat sideways, and when there's essentially twice the surface area on the O-30 than on a J-24, it takes over faster. I just wasn't ready for that one, but I know now! Anyway, as Rob says- the boat (and rig) are fine. The audio sounds a lot worse than it actually was- although it definitely gave me the creeps at the time.

#56 oldweezer

oldweezer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:51 PM

I was driving, so I'm the asshole and this was my first (and hopefully last) time to hit a governement mark (inflatable race marks are another matter). The poor crew were at my mercy, but I think they did about as much as they could- even Drew for backing the jib. True, the boat parked rather quickly (the wind tanking made sure of that), but if he hadn't and if Jared hadn't gathered the genoa, it would likely have been shredded on the mark. A combination of things happened that were new to me- new boat, a genoa with no window blocking the J120, so I tacked back too early and of course hit the mark. It never ceases to amaze me how quickly that current will move a boat sideways, and when there's essentially twice the surface area on the O-30 than on a J-24, it takes over faster. I just wasn't ready for that one, but I know now! Anyway, as Rob says- the boat (and rig) are fine. The audio sounds a lot worse than it actually was- although it definitely gave me the creeps at the time.

I would put this under the "excrement occurs" heading and be glad no one was hurt. Any sailors here living in glass houses (like me especially) hopefully know better than to throw rocks.
Stuff happens fast on a race course. All decisions aren't going to be good ones.
Good luck in your future racing!

#57 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,375 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:54 PM

You are not the first driver to discover that not hitting shit is job-one, two, and three the hard way.

I used to look at what the crew is doing too much.

#58 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:55 PM

Um if you believe that, then you should take some time with some basic sailing courses. The bolded statement simply is not true.

You really need to go out and practice... Jib releases in the video suck. There is no reason to have a man on the bow for the hoist, and the boat like the Olson 30 in those conditions should be roll tacking the shit out of it.

#59 some dude

some dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,023 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:45 PM

all good reasons to duck the J120 and follow it around the mark, especially when driving some else's new boat

#60 Ray Dunn

Ray Dunn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:14 PM

all good reasons to duck the J120 and follow it around the mark, especially when driving some else's new boat

It's actually my boat, and yes- I will duck the J120 next time.

#61 echo

echo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts
  • Interests:sailing, cycling and watching my kids grow

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:13 PM

BP was much harder to hit when it floated around at the end of a mooring chain...

But it was metal back then. Scarred the crap out of me in a big current. At least in hitting wood, the noise is not so bad.

#62 JaredC

JaredC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:38 PM

But it was metal back then. Scarred the crap out of me in a big current. At least in hitting wood, the noise is not so bad.

Good point. It also left big nasty red marks on your gelcoat.

Glad to see you found SA, Ray.

#63 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,473 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:18 PM

Major props to ya Ray. If I can get my sorry ass back down there before summer's out maybe you'll let me come for a ride ;)

#64 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,473 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:20 PM

Good point. It also left big nasty red marks on your gelcoat.

Glad to see you found SA, Ray.

Our I-14 still has a lovely red scar on it from the buoy off patriots.

#65 President Eisenhowler

President Eisenhowler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,477 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 04:24 AM

Um if you believe that, then you should take some time with some basic sailing courses. The bolded statement simply is not true.

Oh, (waves hand frantically in the air from the back row) please, please, please, can we discuss the lee-bow current effect for while now?

#66 Ray Dunn

Ray Dunn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:53 AM

Oh, (waves hand frantically in the air from the back row) please, please, please, can we discuss the lee-bow current effect for while now?

Please- never heard of that one before... There were no windward boats close enough to us to generate a lee bow effect. All that really happened is the wind died a bit, and we got swept into the mark.

Edit: just read this- http://www.j105.org/docs/noleebow.pdf

Our case was just a simple matter of trying get around the mark in a dying wind. We were actually lifted for a bit (and as most of you guys know- you're praying it lasts until you get to the mark, which it hardly ever does), then as the wind died you can see us drifting below as the current took over- albeit, gently. This all was a slow-motion bump into an oyster-encrusted pile. Granted- I'm an idiot for not having the experience to time it correctly. I've had similar situations in J24's, and as long as I had enough steam, could luff up and around the mark-- it just didn't work out this day with this boat. I'm not sure a lee bow effect can be generated with current, though..

#67 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,014 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:46 PM

... ...

Our case was just a simple matter of trying get around the mark in a dying wind. We were actually lifted for a bit (and as most of you guys know- you're praying it lasts until you get to the mark, which it hardly ever does), then as the wind died you can see us drifting below as the current took over- albeit, gently. This all was a slow-motion bump into an oyster-encrusted pile. Granted- I'm an idiot for not having the experience to time it correctly. I've had similar situations in J24's, and as long as I had enough steam, could luff up and around the mark-- it just didn't work out this day with this boat. I'm not sure a lee bow effect can be generated with current, though..

Sorry, don't take this wrong, but this post shows you have no clue what "lee bow effect" means with regard to current. Lee bow of another boat, yeah, but hey is that CURRENT?!?

The issue here is that the current was carrying you below the mark the whole time. WIth a lift+pressure you have forward speed to mask ths, but the current didn't "take over" it was there all the time.

It's simply a case of the helmsman not understanding the forces on his vessel, in a situation where cuting it close can have big consequences. Not all your fault, it's not taught very well if at all... but don't dismiss it. Learn.

FB- Doug

#68 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,014 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:48 PM

... ...

Sure.

Are you for it, or against it?
:rolleyes:

FB- DOug

#69 SailRacer

SailRacer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:52 PM

Ahhh, the 'Moving carpet theory'
Can't forget that....

Sail safe!

#70 Ray Dunn

Ray Dunn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:07 PM

... ...

Sorry, don't take this wrong, but this post shows you have no clue what "lee bow effect" means with regard to current. Lee bow of another boat, yeah, but hey is that CURRENT?!?

The issue here is that the current was carrying you below the mark the whole time. WIth a lift+pressure you have forward speed to mask ths, but the current didn't "take over" it was there all the time.

It's simply a case of the helmsman not understanding the forces on his vessel, in a situation where cuting it close can have big consequences. Not all your fault, it's not taught very well if at all... but don't dismiss it. Learn.

FB- Doug

Nothing to take wrong- you are correct, I do not know what a "lee bow effect" is with respect to current- I do know how that relates to two boats, one in the other's "crap". I also know the current was there the entire time, but one thing I also realize is that you have competing vectors acting on the boat- one can simply override the other. My point was that as long as the wind was lifting us above the mark, we were fine. When it tanked- the effect of the current "overrode" the effect of the wind. I know I have my own way of making sense of it, but I'm pretty sure that's the way it works. Correct me if I'm wrong.

#71 superduperbow

superduperbow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:38 PM

Screamers don't get invited back...

Apparently, sailors don't get invited at all ...

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

+1+1+1+1+1

#72 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,014 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:26 AM

... ...

Nothing to take wrong- you are correct, I do not know what a "lee bow effect" is with respect to current- I do know how that relates to two boats, one in the other's "crap". I also know the current was there the entire time, but one thing I also realize is that you have competing vectors acting on the boat- one can simply override the other. My point was that as long as the wind was lifting us above the mark, we were fine. When it tanked- the effect of the current "overrode" the effect of the wind. I know I have my own way of making sense of it, but I'm pretty sure that's the way it works. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I wonder if your bow was aimed above the mark but you were actually traveling either at it or slightly below it all the time... were you looking at the mark, or using a transit on the background behind it?

Anyway, the remark above about "the moving carpet effect" is one of the ways to explain current's effect on sailboats. All boats are moving on their course thru the water, at whatever their speed might be, but they are also all riding on a carpet which is being tugged to one side or the other depending on the current. The "Lee Bow Effect" is an old-timey way of saying how it affects their actual course -if- the current is crossing the wind. Here's an illustration:

Posted Image

When the current is hitting your lee bow, it is boosting you to windward! Or is it? The surest thing to know is that a cross current will definitely affect the laylines.

FB- Doug

#73 Ray Dunn

Ray Dunn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:13 PM

I wonder if your bow was aimed above the mark but you were actually traveling either at it or slightly below it all the time... were you looking at the mark, or using a transit on the background behind it?

Anyway, the remark above about "the moving carpet effect" is one of the ways to explain current's effect on sailboats. All boats are moving on their course thru the water, at whatever their speed might be, but they are also all riding on a carpet which is being tugged to one side or the other depending on the current. The "Lee Bow Effect" is an old-timey way of saying how it affects their actual course -if- the current is crossing the wind. Here's an illustration:

Posted Image

When the current is hitting your lee bow, it is boosting you to windward! Or is it? The surest thing to know is that a cross current will definitely affect the laylines.

FB- Doug

From what I remember (the older I get, the quicker it starts to fade, so I'm relying on the video- which I've probably watched 100 times by now..) we were briefly lifted, and we would have probably made it around the mark if the puff had lasted a bit longer. We were sailing a great course from a long ways off- and making good upwind progress being lifted most of the way there. When the wind started to wane, you can see that the current was carrying us below the mark, then we tacked. I understand what you are saying-- the concept isn't really that difficult, and since we've been sailing here pretty regularly for the past 3 yrs, it's almost a no-brainer (almost- my brain was definitely asleep that day, almost literally). When we were a long way off, we could tell that when we were hit by puffs, if they lasted long enough we were being lifted above the mark (not just laying it, but lifted above it). When the puff would subside, we'd get slowly carried below. I just couldn't see around that ginormous genoa and it has no window. I tacked back when my crew warned me that Moose Down (the J120 on starboard coming at us) had their bow sprit out and were closing our distance quickly. We definitely take advantage of a favored tack or side of the race course depending on the current when we can. In this case, we were in the wrong spot at the wrong time. I should have just ducked Moose Down and you guys would never even know what I do and don't understand about sailboat physics. Thank you for the lesson, though!

#74 Sheethead

Sheethead

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Interests:Sierra Nevada, Harpoon, Bushmills, Mt. Gay, Svedka

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:05 PM

HA! Glad I didn't talk shit! After carefully studing the lee-bow effect, I decided conditions were perfect to test it out and what do you know??? - Had speed, pointing well but a little ease in pressure and BAM! fn current pushed me right into the mark!

It'll buff out... :huh:

I need to rethink this lee bow stragity....

#75 Winever

Winever

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:31 PM

+1

Cheers, Win ever

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users