19 replies to this topic

#1 By the lee

By the lee

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:26 PM

Huge SA/Disp, so do they really go in the light stuff?

I imagine PHRF would not be kind to them?

Thanks Silverbullet, no wonder I couldn't find any u-tube vids! :huh: :ph34r: :lol:

#2 Silverbullet

Silverbullet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:30 PM

Posted Image

#3 Hobie Dog

Hobie Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:49 PM

Do you mean Antrim 27???

#4 By the lee

By the lee

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:52 PM

Do you mean Antrim 27???

Yeah...... <_<

#5 Hobie Dog

Hobie Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:32 PM

They are OK light air boats, lots of wetted surface so not as good in the light as you would think. But competitive. Like most sport boats that 8-12 range is going to be your toughest to sail against PHRF lead mines. You will get waterlined upwind and will not be able plane down to make up your time. She is most competitive in anything over 15 in PHRF. If you have a mixed PHRF sport boat class then she still does slightly better in the heavy but things are pretty even.

Of course PHRF hammers the Antrim 27 just like any other sport boat, nothing new here, because we all know as soon as you leave the dock sport boats plane in all conditions and all points of sail.

I used to own one. What else do you want to know? Are you looking for a light air sport boat? What do you want to do with the boat? Do a search LOTS and LOTS of data out there on them.

#6 Willy T

Willy T

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Interests:girls

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:35 PM

I picked mine up in june. Awesome boat. A whole lot different to sail than what i'm used to. Not phrf friendly although our winds have been quite light. Best we've done so far is 7.7 knots which isnt a heck of a lot.

Hobie b, any old sails kickin around?

#7 Hobie Dog

Hobie Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:46 PM

I picked mine up in june. Awesome boat. A whole lot different to sail than what i'm used to. Not phrf friendly although our winds have been quite light. Best we've done so far is 7.7 knots which isnt a heck of a lot.

Hobie b, any old sails kickin around?

Oh yes they are awesome boats, still miss mine... If all you have done is 7.7 then either your speedo is broken or you really have not had her out in any breeze. Just wait till you get her out in some breeze!

Negative on any old sails around, all went with the boat.

#8 Willy T

Willy T

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Interests:girls

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:54 PM

Ya.... Light winds and they seem to calm on the downwind leg! Hit almost 7 going up though. Using the velocitek. The other one near me has hit over 18

The one in the classifieds looks like it might be a nice price. No idea on the condition of the boat, i think the 3 spreader rig is different tho.

#9 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,467 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:10 PM

I sail on the one out here in Hawaii, where it's been 15-25 since Easter - seriously, there have been MAYBE 8 days of sub 15 since the early spring - so I can attest, they go just fine in the breeze.

Went down to the KYC last night to see ET arrive - they looked good in their new aloha shirts !

#10 By the lee

By the lee

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:38 PM

They are OK light air boats, lots of wetted surface so not as good in the light as you would think. But competitive. Like most sport boats that 8-12 range is going to be your toughest to sail against PHRF lead mines. You will get waterlined upwind and will not be able plane down to make up your time. She is most competitive in anything over 15 in PHRF. If you have a mixed PHRF sport boat class then she still does slightly better in the heavy but things are pretty even.

Of course PHRF hammers the Antrim 27 just like any other sport boat, nothing new here, because we all know as soon as you leave the dock sport boats plane in all conditions and all points of sail.

I used to own one. What else do you want to know? Are you looking for a light air sport boat? What do you want to do with the boat? Do a search LOTS and LOTS of data out there on them.

Yeah thanks for that. It pretty much confirmed my suspicions and refreshed my memory regarding a sportboats lot in PHRF.

I'll extrapolate from your first para that 8 or under - which we get lots 'round here - I'd prolly pace the lead mines but still take a PHRF beating?

Now I'll ask a question that I don't know enough about to even phrase properly. <_<
Does time-on-distance versus time-on-time change that equation?

Do like those articulating sprits though....... :)

Really, an Olson 30'd be better bang for the buck, but there's the need for more bodies and not as convenient double-handed.

#11 @last

@last

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:01 AM

Not sure I completely agree about the not PHRF friendly comments posted here. We have a pretty competitive mixed wed PHRF fleet here which includes boats like J-35's SR-33, Tripp 33, MORC 30's, Sydney 41, Modified Melges 30, etc in addition to a very well sailed Antrim 27. Boat rates 84 here and is currently 4th place overall for season, they always seem to be in the hunt.

#12 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,110 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:16 AM

Yeah thanks for that. It pretty much confirmed my suspicions and refreshed my memory regarding a sportboats lot in PHRF.

I'll extrapolate from your first para that 8 or under - which we get lots 'round here - I'd prolly pace the lead mines but still take a PHRF beating?

Now I'll ask a question that I don't know enough about to even phrase properly. Posted Image
Does time-on-distance versus time-on-time change that equation?

Do like those articulating sprits though....... :)

Really, an Olson 30'd be better bang for the buck, but there's the need for more bodies and not as convenient double-handed.

While the A27 may not be the ultimate kille boat in light air it is most certainly not the case for all sportboats. There are some that are absolutely light air killers - boats like Viper 830, Sierra 26, melges 32 and others. I think the Antrim is actually pretty decent if you know how to get the max out of it in light air

#13 By the lee

By the lee

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:46 AM

Boat rates 84 here

Where? And where does it rate 15 HD?

#14 @last

@last

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:59 AM

Boat rates 84 here

Where? And where does it rate 15 HD?

LMPHRF-Lake Michigan PHRF, not sure where that 15 number comes from.

Check here for results

http://www.muskegonyachtclub.org/?page_id=122

#15 Hrothgar

Hrothgar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,985 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:27 PM

Not sure I completely agree about the not PHRF friendly comments posted here. We have a pretty competitive mixed wed PHRF fleet here which includes boats like J-35's SR-33, Tripp 33, MORC 30's, Sydney 41, Modified Melges 30, etc in addition to a very well sailed Antrim 27. Boat rates 84 here and is currently 4th place overall for season, they always seem to be in the hunt.

I concur. Those boats are a pain in the ass when well sailed. I have the aforementioned Tripp 33. We get killed by the Antrim when reaching and when the wind gets up because we lose our advantage of an overlapping headsail. In lighter stuff we do well against them because of their non-overlapping jib and their need to sail hotter angles downwind. The boat is always in the hunt in our fleet but again, it is very well sailed.

Hrothgar

#16 Johnnie the Boy

Johnnie the Boy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:17 PM

Anyone care to comment on another boat? I think it has the same lines as the Antrim, but a with a higher D/L, a Tripp 26. It doesn't get killed around here in PHRF (Chesapeake), and it's fast in light air.
It goes fast in heavier air and its much less expensive.

#17 Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • Interests:N/A

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:43 PM

Posted Image

Nice concepts, but I really hate the Gaylord...

Add to the pain the fact that my company loves them. So far I've had to attend major events at Nashville, Texas and National Harbor... Ugh!

#18 lafish

lafish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:18 PM

In my experience, they have difficulty in light air against any reasonably fast boat with an overlapping genoa, so you will watch Olson 30's, Express 27's and the like sail away even as you owe them a ton of time. Once the wind picks up and those boats have to go to their number 3's, it's a completely different story. The Antrim planes early and will show its stern to most any similarly sized boat. But the rating may still kill you.

#19 Hitchhiker

Hitchhiker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:30 PM

I'm very curious about this, as the Antrim is on my list as a potential for the next Hitchhiker. Does anyone have experience with the one that sailed out of Dana Point?

#20 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,686 posts
  • Interests:SA is DEAD

Posted 03 August 2012 - 04:54 AM

I'm very curious about this, as the Antrim is on my list as a potential for the next Hitchhiker. Does anyone have experience with the one that sailed out of Dana Point?

Ultimate 24 I recall Jim telling me he added more shape to the bow and increased the for triangle to help increase the light air performance based on what he saw with the A27. The 27 noses in and will dig the nose which the driver needs to actively drive to lift the nose out to keep speed going. The 24 almost hops it starts to nose in then just as you start to head up to lift the nose the 24 pops out and keeps on trucking. I think if your looking for gen 3 of the Antrim sport boat design the Ultimate 24 is the closest boat in the list. There is actually an updated Antrim 25 design which is a reworked canting pole system updated more modern deck on the Ultimate 24 hull.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users