Mob Indian ocean, assist pls

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 uncorrected

uncorrected

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Interacting with other sailors!

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:01 PM

Skipper of yacht finnegan was reported lost overboard around 21 June. Text below from the family FB site, trying to figure out what happened. Boat reached Seychelles sans skipper and the sole crew is in jail / under investigation. For the FB thread, visit
https://www.facebook.com/SeanTerryMissingSkipperYachtFinnegan?ref=ts
Are there folks out there who can access historic grib files for the area around the date? Text from FB page copied below. If you can help, pls post direct on the FB page, not here. Thanx.
WE STILL NEED YOUR HELP

We have been in contact with all but two of the yachts that were in Chagos at the same time as Sean, some of them we were able to contact through this face book page so a very big thank you to you all for continuing to share this page.

We are still trying to locate ANY vessels that were in the vicinity of the MOB coordinates (S07 degrees 56,313 E059 degrees 52,05) either on the night of the 22nd June 2012 or shortly before or after this date. Other than the yachts we have already contacted that were sailing between Chagos and Madagascar there must have been other vessels in the area between 18 and 25 June. We would urgently like to contact them.

We have not yet had a response from tracking services and some shipping companies that we have approached. If anyone can help PLEASE contact us.

PLEASE SHARE THIS and know that we are grateful to each and everyone of you. Friends as well as complete strangers are doing incredible work to try and help us. Unfortunately we really do not have news at this stage. With thanks The Terry Family.

#2 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,240 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:19 PM

My sympathies.
Is there more to this story?
Any reason this is suspicious?

EDIT:
http://www.noonsite.com/Members/val/R2012-07-30-2/view
Pokorny has told police he joined Mr Terry on the yacht in the Maldives as it was on its way to Madagascar but that Mr Terry jumped off the boat in a rage.
Judith Middleton, a spokeswoman for Mr Terry's, has told The Independent: "Pokorny came on board the yacht as an experienced and strong diver and the family wants to know why he did not do more to rescue Sean.

WTF :o :o

#3 uncorrected

uncorrected

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:44 PM

1343683175[/url]' post='3806352']
My sympathies.

EDIT:
http://www.noonsite....12-07-30-2/view
Pokorny has told police he joined Mr Terry on the yacht in the Maldives as it was on its way to Madagascar but that Mr Terry jumped off the boat in a rage.
Judith Middleton, a spokeswoman for Mr Terry's, has told The Independent: "Pokorny came on board the yacht as an experienced and strong diver and the family wants to know why he did not do more to rescue Sean.

#4 uncorrected

uncorrected

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:50 PM

I don't know diddly squat about the character of the crew or skipper so unable and unwilling to speculate. Except to say that nobody seems to have the Crew's version of events from the horses mouth. I thought it might help if someone can grab the gribs. At least you can see if it was 5 or 50kts in that area. Which might shed light on credibility of versions of the story. I came across the story because I am former owner of the boat...

1343684641[/url]' post='3806385']

1343683175[/url]' post='3806352']
My sympathies.

EDIT:
http://www.noonsite....12-07-30-2/view

#5 sailingk8

sailingk8

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,308 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:17 PM

read the article on line and says log and his computers are missing. Seemed wierd that a round the world boat would have log missing. Sympathies to the family, will share the MOB data as best I can.

#6 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,240 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:32 PM

Reading the linked news articles, it seems 99% likely the "crew" did the skipper in :(
No distress call sent, MOB button not used on GPS, logs missing, laptop mising, etc............ :o

#7 Zonker

Zonker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:53 AM

Came across the update on this one while reading another strange story (the crew in this case was arrested then set free) http://www.telegraph...s-unsolved.html
The second story was detailed in Latitude http://www.latitude3...19#.UKx5SVIkh8E (John Rice, a 60-year-old Australian was reported dead and his 59-ft steel-hulled
boat, Argonaut lost while sailing in rough seas in the Flores Sea in Indonesia after crossing from Darwin AU in July. The report came from his French Canadian crewmember, Guillaume Gosselin who was rescued by a fishing boat after two days in the ocean. But Rice's buddy boat Nordhavn 46 Kanaloa owned by multi-circumnavigators Heidi and Wolfgang Hass report the weather was calm at the time and found the story impossible to believe.)
Kind of a bad season for single handers with crew...

#8 ice9a

ice9a

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Interests:1

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:18 PM

I thought it might help if someone can grab the gribs.

Here's the weather picture for the time. Not sure that it helps much.

Certainty not any sort of storm, but also certainty bumpy enough that someone could go overboard. And a big enough swell would be running that it would be very difficult to find them.

Attached File  ind.jpg   563.7K   10 downloads

Sad situations. Really no way to ever find the truth. Equally difficult for the crew, if they are innocent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users