28 replies to this topic

#1 sailman

sailman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,785 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:54 PM

I liked the front page write up on the B2 6' RC boat from John Fries, slightly biased as I am putting together hull number 3 right now. I have sailed the original model and the new design and it a fantastic boat to run, from 3-20 knots the boat sends it and is very easy to get up to speed and sail well. It is a simple set up in terms of the higher end RC boats. One rig and two channels (John is experimenting with a third channel for a backstay). But with just rudder and sail trim and one rig to worry about setting the boat up is a much more simple exercise then say an IOM. The keel is a tee bulb that resides in a cassette in the hull and the rudder is removeable as well so breaking down the boat for transport you can fit it into mid-size or larger vehicle.

Questions? What do you think of the concept?

I bought it to have something to keep me busy in the off season up here in Newport. We see regular good breeze up here and the idea of running down to Newport harbor for a few hours on a Sunday morning for a sail and staying dry appealed to me.

Will Museler

#2 OBW

OBW

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:05 PM

I liked the front page write up on the B2 6' RC boat from John Fries, slightly biased as I am putting together hull number 3 right now. I have sailed the original model and the new design and it a fantastic boat to run, from 3-20 knots the boat sends it and is very easy to get up to speed and sail well. It is a simple set up in terms of the higher end RC boats. One rig and two channels (John is experimenting with a third channel for a backstay). But with just rudder and sail trim and one rig to worry about setting the boat up is a much more simple exercise then say an IOM. The keel is a tee bulb that resides in a cassette in the hull and the rudder is removeable as well so breaking down the boat for transport you can fit it into mid-size or larger vehicle.

I bought it to have something to keep me busy in the off season up here in Newport. We see regular good breeze up here and the idea of running down to Newport harbor for a few hours on a Sunday morning for a sail and staying dry appealed to me.

Will Museler

Looks great how much

#3 musicman

musicman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:13 PM

Will Museler

Looks great how much

Thanks Will! looking forward to having you out on the water.
As for pricing and info please e-mail me at: friessaildesign@gmail.com

#4 musicman

musicman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:17 PM

A little video form 2 weeks ago, sailing in open water 12-25 knots of wind.

http://s5.photobucke...wLondonPier.mp4

#5 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:55 PM

Will Museler

Its big enough to benefit from an Asso kite...

#6 sailman

sailman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,785 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:54 PM

Will Museler

Why add complexity? One of the great design features of this boat is its integrity, the only openings are for the sheets and these are raised up in posts. The boat remains alomst bone dry inside even regardless of the conditions. Add a kite and a stowage system you are adding yet another avenue for water intrusion.

#7 dash34

dash34

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts
  • Interests:Sailing my boat, playing bass and classical guitar, flying sailplanes, skiing, cycling and hiking.

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:24 PM

The keys to success in RC: low cost of entry, ease of entry (not too hard to build or buy the boat), established fleets to race with, solid class rules.

Starting a new RC fleet at the upper end of the price scale (needing to email to get the price is a big clue) may not be easy, but it is a cool looking boat and you never know. If the cost of the boat is approaching the cost of a new sail for a full-size boat, it might appeal only to the 1%-ers. Best of luck!

dash
(RC Laser CAN 80)

#8 musicman

musicman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:56 PM

The keys to success in RC: low cost of entry, ease of entry (not too hard to build or buy the boat), established fleets to race with, solid class rules.

Starting a new RC fleet at the upper end of the price scale (needing to email to get the price is a big clue) may not be easy, but it is a cool looking boat and you never know. If the cost of the boat is approaching the cost of a new sail for a full-size boat, it might appeal only to the 1%-ers. Best of luck!

dash
(RC Laser CAN 80)

I agree with you it's not for everyone, smaller mass produced boats (like the laser or CR 914) have huge numbers and don't cost much.
While I have had fun over the years sailing smalller boats like this (as well as IOMs) I really like the idea of a big simple OD that can sail just about anywhere & almost any condition.
Fingers crossed for the class getting going!
I'll post more photos tonight when I get home.

#9 OBW

OBW

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:42 PM

dash
(RC Laser CAN 80)

Agreed. I have raced RC boats on and off over the years now looking to get into a class with my son and I. Also Willing to invest some money into it but the Laser is going to be the route we go. Large fleets simple boats and can invest and invest but still not break the bank. This is a cool boat ane good luck getting things going

#10 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,214 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:44 PM

What are the most extreme conditions that you think you could safely sail your RC Laser in? Wind speed? Wave Height?

#11 Veeger

Veeger

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:06 PM

Kinda interesting. I could, mebbe, do one of these. Anybody else in the PNW interested? Must need a dock or mothership to launch though, looks like a pretty deep draft.

#12 OBW

OBW

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:31 PM

What are the most extreme conditions that you think you could safely sail your RC Laser in? Wind speed? Wave Height?

For me conditions make no difference. I have a sheltered farm pond to play around on and when fleet racing everyone will be battling the same thing. Most I have sailed one in was about 15 knots with 6in waves and was a bunch of fun.

#13 musicman

musicman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:35 PM

Kinda interesting. I could, mebbe, do one of these. Anybody else in the PNW interested? Must need a dock or mothership to launch though, looks like a pretty deep draft.

Dock for sure, chase boat is fun but not needed. Draft is 29 inches.

#14 musicman

musicman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:38 PM

A little video from the same day as the front page. This was testing some new "A" sails in 5-7 knots

Posted Image

#15 dash34

dash34

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts
  • Interests:Sailing my boat, playing bass and classical guitar, flying sailplanes, skiing, cycling and hiking.

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:22 PM

Safe for me or the boat? I'm pretty good at finding something to hide behind... :lol:

We can sail with the D sail up to about 25 knots and about 3' seas. Never tried anything higher than that, might be possible. There are some good videos on youtube of sailing the RC laser in these conditions.

Some have made N sails ("nuken") but not many have tried them out.

dash

#16 berz

berz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:27 PM

Check out the SailBot competition....held in 6', fully autonomous sailbots. They are very similar to the mini maxi posted here, just with a lot more brainpower. The only rule is a 6' LOA and a max height rule (cats, tris, wings are all allowed)

Boats are now required to navigate autonomously around a course, do station keeping and navigation events, as well as fleet race etc etc.

The event accepts remote controlled boats, but they receive a points penalty for not being autonomous. These mini maxis would also make a good base platform for a lot of new teams with limited construction and development time.

UBC (University of British Columbia) won the 2012 event in Vancouver in June. Not certain where the next event will be held....

Here is the link to the UBC SailBot site:

http://ubcsailbots.wordpress.com/

#17 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:43 PM

Will Museler

Why add complexity? One of the great design features of this boat is its integrity, the only openings are for the sheets and these are raised up in posts. The boat remains alomst bone dry inside even regardless of the conditions. Add a kite and a stowage system you are adding yet another avenue for water intrusion.

Fast is Fun. You don't need anything more than a sock for a kite and that's not water intrusion avenue. all you need for that is a waterproof deck mounted capstan with a continous line for hoisting and furling and a second continuous sheet winch.

#18 musicman

musicman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:42 AM

[/quote]
[/quote]
Fast is Fun. You don't need anything more than a sock for a kite and that's not water intrusion avenue. all you need for that is a waterproof deck mounted capstan with a continous line for hoisting and furling and a second continuous sheet winch.
[/quote]

We experimented with an Asail on the B2 for fun. It really would make solid W/L racing a serious mess though, simplicity is a much better way to go.
A Sail video:

Posted Image

But in 15 knots you can go downwind like this with no kite...

Posted Image

#19 sailman

sailman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,785 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:06 PM

Will Museler

The boat is already fast. So your idea would be to put two more winches, a sock and more rigging plus more battery capacity? Buy one and go to town! I'll stick with a nice simple setup, the B2 has been up to 7 knots off the wind (GPS reading from chase boat). That seems fine with me.

#20 musicman

musicman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:34 PM

[/quote]
The boat is already fast. So your idea would be to put two more winches, a sock and more rigging plus more battery capacity? Buy one and go to town! I'll stick with a nice simple setup, the B2 has been up to 7 knots off the wind (GPS reading from chase boat). That seems fine with me.
[/quote]

The new top speed is up to 9 knots now...! B)

#21 musicman

musicman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:05 PM

Out testing yesterday with new stern scoop:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#22 sailman

sailman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,785 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:04 PM

Great time at the Woods Hole Model Boat Show this past weekend.  My boat (Internet Team Germany) is complete but not quite race ready so it was the display model.  Prada and Alinghi were out on the water.  Here I am at the helm of Prada with a win in light fluky conditions:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=4_e97CwtpgE

#23 musicman

musicman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:39 PM

Fun times Will! Here's some more video

Woods Hole Clips:

Heavy air test:
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=o2fTrazQ7agcleardot.gif

#24 Kevlar Edge

Kevlar Edge

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:18 PM

you're killing me I want one bad! 

#25 musicman

musicman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:25 PM

Happy to build you one, we have done 4 so far it would be great to have another out there.

Our goal is for these to be an AMYA One Design at some point.

PM me if you want more info.

#26 Punani Jackson

Punani Jackson

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Interests:Cigars, booze and easy women.

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:34 PM

you're killing me I want one bad! 

Get two and I'll race against you.

#27 musicman

musicman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:36 PM

I'll have 2 boats at BIRW this year sailing in the harbor, stop over & try one out!

#28 Kevlar Edge

Kevlar Edge

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:35 AM

your on, , pm me the details, price etc.

#29 musicman

musicman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:33 AM

PM sent. There's also a FB page for the boats here:

https://www.facebook...41414123?ref=hl

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users