56 replies to this topic

#1 Glowfast Marine

Glowfast Marine

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:28 PM

We will be releasing a new safety line/tether at this years MET's boat show (Nov 2012).

This product was designed in response to recent incidents resulting in serious injuries and fatalities caused by people not being able to release themselves from their vessel in an emergency situation.

We are interested in your thoughts and feedback.

Please note pic was meant for internal use only and is of prototype which does not include all features and does not show the inner workings. (colours and logos not added)

Basic operation.
The tether operates as per normal with the added feature of if being trapped or dragged under the water the user can free themselves with one hand by simply pulling the handle. Even under very high loads the handle is still very easy to pull thanks to the patented internal workings.

There have been several deaths in recent years caused bypeople drowning by not being able to release themselves from a vessel when indistress. This has caused other manufacturers to offer a quick release system'sor include a knife in the sale of the safety lines. These systems are work wellin no load scenarios (when there is no load on the safety line) andnon-panicked situations.

The Glowfast HLR Lanyard/Tether takes this to the next level by incorporating apatented release system that enables the user to quickly release themselves whenin distress with the use of just one hand without the need for a knife.

Can be released under load with one hand andwithout the use of a knife

Lighter weight.

Less moving parts.

Less bang points.

Easy quick release handle (photoluminous)

Moulded rubber around clip to avoid damage todecks (not shown in picture)

Simple single handed release clip withnon-corrosive spring allowing for quicker/easier release and lighter clips.

No accidental release.

Can be reset quickly and easilyAttached File  Glowfast-HLR-Lanyard.jpg   487.18K   599 downloads

#2 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,681 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:41 PM

It might make me a bit uncomfortable to have important parts of the quick-release on my tether covered up so I can't see them.

#3 TJSocal

TJSocal

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:11 PM

A couple of thoughts:

1. I'm guessing you've tested for this, but that style of clip looks like it could still fail to disengage under load even with the gate open--jackline or padeye could stay hooked in the top part of the clip unless you relieved some of the pressure on the tether. Something like a snap shackle where the bail has a hinge on it and opens completely might work better.

2. If you're being dragged by the boat, it may not be possible to pull yourself to the end of the tether that's attached to the boat to actuate the release. Consider putting the quick release on the harness end where it will always be within reach.

3. More than likely nobody's going to be trying to operate this thing visually, so the photoluminescent release handle is probably not useful. Users will be able to find it just by following the tether. To be effective it will need to work without visual, with one hand, wearing gloves.

#4 bluelaser

bluelaser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:25 PM

The quick release mechanism is under the black nylon "sock" with the loop right there by the larks head end, right? pull it away from yourself release it? Or do you pull it towards yourself while under load to release it? Any videos of it working?

On another note - the Carabiner opens by squeezing the trigger on the back side, right? Pretty slick setup. I'd get one depending on price.

#5 savoir

savoir

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,977 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:06 AM

That carabiner cannot be released under load at all.

No way I'll buy one.

#6 Glowfast Marine

Glowfast Marine

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:15 AM

Firstly thanks for your feedback so far!

Sorry I might not have explained how the system works to well.

The quick release cover is an integral part of the design, when operated the whole cover peels away. (footage and pics will be released shortly)

The clip that is attached to the boat is a dual action clip that is operated by squeezing that cannot be opened unintentionally opened. This clip far exceeds ISO standards. As a bonus it it lighter weight and easier to operate with one hand. Also note on the product that will be released has a rubber moulding to protect against scratching.

The clip end stays attached to the boat and the mechanism is operated by pulling the handle towards you at the harness end. We are have a version where the handle is pulled away this means it is easier to operate in no load situations. The downside to this is you end up with the detached side of the tether in your hand after you release it. This has not proved to be a major problem but we are interested in your thoughts on this??

We would like to think that people will just know where to reach instinctively however we thought we would add the photoluminous handle to aid in a panicked situation especially if trapped under a boat

We are looking at a price point around the same as the Spinlock tethers and we will be offering an elasticated and dual hook version also. They can also be interchanged as they all have the same internal workings in the release mechanism

That is correct the Caribeena will not be able to be released under load (same as current setup of tethers) the release system that allows you to release under load is the black sock looking part in the pic. It gives a huge mechanical advantage that makes it very simple to release even under extreme load.

I tried to upload a video of some testing but with no luck. Sorry! we will be releasing a proper promotional video when we release the product officially.

#7 TJSocal

TJSocal

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:36 AM

OK, so clearly in my earlier comments I didn't understand how this thing works at all.

Never mind...

One more comment, though. Could you maybe make this less expensive if it were an attachment to the end of an existing tether that somebody already had?

#8 Recidivist

Recidivist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,481 posts
  • Interests:sailing, building sailing boats, cruising, racing, day sailing.

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:15 AM

The clip end stays attached to the boat and the mechanism is operated by pulling the handle towards you at the harness end. We are have a version where the handle is pulled away this means it is easier to operate in no load situations. The downside to this is you end up with the detached side of the tether in your hand after you release it. This has not proved to be a major problem but we are interested in your thoughts on this??

Without a lot of thought - in a no-load situation, the person could release the tether from the boat using the clip, or release the tether from his or her harness with the second clip (if there is one?). I would be worried that providing a choice of release directions might result in the customer making the wrong choice at the time of purchase, and paying a very high price for that decision if the release is ever required.

Aside from that, it's good to see the release under load issue being addressed, good luck with the product.

#9 Overbored

Overbored

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Flying, Skiing

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:42 AM

not real clear on which loop attaches to the harness and which one you pull. how does it attach to the harness? do you have to release it to make the attachment to the harness? pulling away from you when the tether is tight and streached out from you would not be very intuitive. pull loop should be large and very bright color that can be seen best under water or in the dark. what happens if you get the loop caught on something? does it release when you don't want it to? after you pull the loop do you still have to release the latch. or is pull the loop all you have to do?

#10 WHL

WHL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,689 posts
  • Interests:Offshore, Star, Farr 30, R Boat racing, and gunkholing in classic daysailers

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:37 AM

Personally I prefer the Gibb snap hooks to those shown. Hopefully you will give people a choice of snap hook.

I can't off er an opinion on the quick release while it's hidden under the cover. Releasing by pulling the trip away from you is easier than pulling towards you when the trip is close to the harness end of the tether.

I hope the double tether isn't built like the Spinlock double. You would think if you had a double tether with a 2m/5ft tether and a short 1m/3ft tether, that the total span between snap hooks is close to 3m/9ft. Unfortunately Spinlock has the short tether sewn into the long tether about a foot down the webbing from the loop at the harness end. with another length of webbing sewn to join them. The affect of this is the following:
- When the long 2m/6ft tether is attached to a jackline or padeye etc..and you try and stretch to another location to attach the short 1m/3ft tether, the total span between the snap hook of the long and short tethers is just over 2m/6ft and frequently too short for jobs like this:
- Your long tether is attached to the jackline... you have moved forward to the mast to take a reef. Typically you will want to attach the short tether to a strong point on the mast while leaving the long tether on the jackline. On many boats I've been on, the Spinlock span between the double tethers is too short. to stay attached to the jackline while trying to clip on the short tether to the rig. Similarly the span is frequently too short to stay clipped onto the windward jackline outside the coaming and stretch far enough to reach a strong point / padeye inside a cockpit. A span of 3m/9ft between snap hooks is more reasonable/useful.

#11 Glowfast Marine

Glowfast Marine

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:28 PM

The lanyard ends will be interchangeable as in you would be able to hook a double hook or a single hook without having to buy a new mechanism but it is not possible to fit to a lanyard that is not installed with the HLR system from manufacture.

The Loop section is attached to the harness by pulling the entire lanyard through the loop. It does not have to be released to be fitted to the harness.

We will just be releasing one variation of the HLR system however I just thought I would get your thoughts.

#12 Glowfast Marine

Glowfast Marine

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:06 PM

I have been told I can't put up any video of the official testing but if you go to the Glowfast facebook page http://www.facebook....stMarine?ref=hl there is a short video of one of the guys mucking around with the first prototype which will show you how the mechanism works

#13 allen

allen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:15 PM

"Glowfast Luminous Technology hasn't added any videos yet." from facebook page

#14 seaker

seaker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:53 PM

How is this requirement met? 5.02.3 A safety line purchased in January 2001 or later shall have a coloured flag embedded in the stitching, to indicate an overload. A line which has been overloaded shall be replaced as a matter of urgency.

Otherwise I think I understand how it works.

#15 Glowfast Marine

Glowfast Marine

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:53 PM

How is this requirement met? 5.02.3 A safety line purchased in January 2001 or later shall have a coloured flag embedded in the stitching, to indicate an overload. A line which has been overloaded shall be replaced as a matter of urgency.

Otherwise I think I understand how it works.

The overload indicator is located where the handle tucks into make the loop. in the case of an overload the s that is sewn into the lanyard/tether will pull out and leave coloured stitching showing so that you can see it has been overloaded.

Sorry about the vid it should be up now

#16 Beau.Vrolyk

Beau.Vrolyk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts
  • Interests:Sailing on any and everything that floats. Skiing when the rainfall turns semi-solid and white.

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:17 AM

The problem with using a loop and doing a luggage-hitch to the harness is that many harnesses have two rings that need to be captured with the luggage hitch. With you loop, one would have to remove and replace the luggage hitch each time the harness is removed and replaced. I'd much rather have a shackle of some type. Once I have the shackle, because I need it to easily get in and out of my harness, then I'll just use that as the release. For this reason I use a tylaska shackle as a device to implimemt release under load.

#17 Ballast Technician

Ballast Technician

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:36 PM

My earlier comment appears to have disappeared, so here it is again:
Would be nice to have some sort of disc/ball/knot on the 'trigger stop' in order to make it easier to grip (esp. when wet, with gloves, etc).

#18 Glowfast Marine

Glowfast Marine

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:56 PM

My earlier comment appears to have disappeared, so here it is again:
Would be nice to have some sort of disc/ball/knot on the 'trigger stop' in order to make it easier to grip (esp. when wet, with gloves, etc).

Thanks again for you thoughts!

We have tested several configurations for the release handle and found that the current setup works well and packs away neatly. I will ask the designers whether they have tried your proposed configurations.

Also please see new video uploaded to the facebook page which will show you a little more of the lanyard.

#19 Merit 25

Merit 25

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:21 PM

I'm clearly missing something. What is just using a big snap shackle bad? I never liked the luggage tag approach.

#20 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,186 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:24 PM

because a snap shackle will not release under load - which is why we use tylaska's for halyards and tacklines/guys etc. I have been wanting to test it for a couple years now but have never gotten around to it to see if there is too much load to release a snapshackle when being towed.

Glowfast, how hard is it to reassemble the tether if you trip it. how hard is it to accidentally trip? Id hate to have it snag on something at the wrong time.

I have a spinlock tether which is cowhitched to a snapshackle, but i think i will probably end up getting the double tether version when you release it to the market. This looks great. I also prefer the biner's you're using over the ones on the spinlock (wich are fun to play with, but not as smooth and can be a little annoying in the dark). I think the biner's you're using are the same ones from the Kong tether?

#21 Glowfast Marine

Glowfast Marine

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:37 PM

Mustang_1

If accidentally released it takes around 4 seconds to reset once you know the procedure. The procedure of resetting is quite simple however it takes some people a few goes to get right. We will have the reset instructions printed inside the cover so it should make it quite simple to reset. We will be recommending people open up the cover and have a look. We will also have a YouTube video with instructions available to ensure the system is getting reset properly.

The handle is designed specifically so it should not get caught on anything and if it does it still should not release the system as the handle has not catch points so it would be extremely rare for accidental release.

The hooks we are using are similar to the Kong tether however we are using different internals to make them more corrosive resistant as well as having a rubber moulding to reduce scratching etc..

The reason we are starting with the cow hitch is it is lighter weight and also reduces the cost. We have given the HLR prototype tether to many sailors for testing and asked them specifically whether it was a problem. The response pretty much across the board was it was not really an issue as they only had to release it when they took the harness off and it was only took a couple of seconds to take off.

This being said if the market wants 2 hooks then it is certainly something that we will bring out.

#22 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,186 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:53 PM

By two hooks i meant a double ended tether. I prefer a cowhitch on the harness end. I just want a short tether and a long tether like my spinlock.

#23 Merit 25

Merit 25

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 01:30 AM

because a snap shackle will not release under load

Under how much load? I've hung from mine with some extra weight on it, and it releases easily. Every time. I understand on a big boat when spiking the tack/guy on a chute might be a problem, but normal size humans are 200 lbs or less.

#24 haligonian winterr

haligonian winterr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • Interests:Going Fast.

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:21 PM

I personally love having a snap shackle on the harness end, simply because when I'm climbing around in rigging I can trip it from the harness end after my climbing harness is clipped in, do whatever I need to, then come back and switch harnesses again.

Just to keep it out of the way when climbing.

HW

#25 Glowfast Marine

Glowfast Marine

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:17 AM

A snap shackle is definitely something we are considering as an option.

We will be exhibiting the initial product at MET's this year and getting hands on feedback on all our current configurations by many industry experts which will allow us to weigh up lot of different opinions and come out with the most versatile products we can.

Thanks again for everyone's comments and we look forward to your continued support and feedback with all of the products in the Glowfast range.

#26 Glowfast Marine

Glowfast Marine

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:20 AM

Hi guys its been a while. We just thought we would give you an update on the High Load Release lanyard mentioned above. We have just received all our standards approval's and will be moving into manufacturing very shortly. You can check out a short video of some of the drop testing at http://www.facebook.com/GlowfastMarine

#27 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,186 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:20 AM

because a snap shackle will not release under load

Under how much load? I've hung from mine with some extra weight on it, and it releases easily. Every time. I understand on a big boat when spiking the tack/guy on a chute might be a problem, but normal size humans are 200 lbs or less.

i wonder how much load is on an average sized person when they are being dragged through the water?

#28 indyshope

indyshope

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, fishing, hunting, hiking, biking, camping

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:21 AM

Will you be exhibiting at the Chicago Strictly Sail show? It would be good to see this device first hand.

#29 Kraftwerk

Kraftwerk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:Frostbite Racing, Abstract Painting, Oil Changes, Robert Louis Stevenson

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:13 PM

Whats under that black lump?

#30 thinwater

thinwater

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, climbing, kayaking

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:49 PM

And if the handle snags on the head of a stachion or some other deck protrution and releases? No, a loop handle is not suitable, not for a single-hander.

Also, how quickly can it be reset, say in the dark in the rain? Just curious. I'm assuming it's something like a parachute release ladder, though I couldn't find an image.

#31 thinwater

thinwater

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:54 PM

What I would like to see are shock-absorbing tethers.

http://sail-delmarva...er-tethers.html

I think we misunderstand the cause of impact related failures. They arn't failing from the fource so much as the sudden stop. OSHA, the military, and climbers know this.

#32 chrisdb

chrisdb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:09 PM

How is this any different to a simple kite surfing leash? Why are you bothering to redesign something that's already been made?
Posted Image

#33 Glowfast Marine

Glowfast Marine

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:34 PM

Hi guys just an update on the Glowfast HLR safety line series. They will be available in 3 weeks on our online store at www.glowfast.com and in stores shortly after that. We have 3 designs to start with (view them at our Facebook page) we are also looking at releasing further variations in the near future so please keep your thoughts coming as they are very valuable in helping us progress the safety of our sport further in shorter time frames.

What’s under that black lump?  

The Glowfast patented HLR release system. It works by offering a massive mechanical advantage so that it can be released in an emergency with one hand even under extraordinarily  high loads. To view the system we have a YouTube video up now and we will be releasing reset instruction on YouTube shortly, which will help explain the system in more detail.

How is this any different to a simple kite surfing leash?

All marine safety lines have to meet certain standards for safety purposes. Unfortunately no kitesurfing leash will meet these standards nor will the release mechanism work under extremely high loads.

How easy is it to reset?

Firstly the HLR system is specifically designed so it should never be released unless that was the intention. However in the unlikely event of unintentional activation the HLR system can be reset in under 5 seconds once you know the procedure to do so.

Some pics of the prototypes are up on our Facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/GlowfastMarine

Thanks again everyone for your thoughts and suggestions

#34 Glowfast Marine

Glowfast Marine

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:27 PM

Glowfats HLR prototype single hook safety line
Glowfast HLR prototype single hook safety line (elasticated)
Glowfast HLR 2 hook safety line prototype (elasticated)

#35 Glowfast Marine

Glowfast Marine

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:32 PM

Glowfast HLR brochure

#36 rantifarian

rantifarian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:59 AM

Are these approved for use in Australia? My understanding was that quick releases were banned by YA

#37 Glowfast Marine

Glowfast Marine

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:12 PM

The Glowfast HLR safety line series meets all international standards for marine tethers and is suitable for use on any marine vessel in Australia or any other country. However YA is not a governing body and have the right to refuse entry to their races without any reason and can also set any criteria for equiptment and training they like.

As far as I'm aware the ban is on specifict quick releases and technically speaking our product is not designed to be a quick release it is designed to be an emergency only system. Having said all that I'll have to check in to see where we are at with the YA ruling. 

I'm sure our guys are already onto it but worst case scenario we will have to submit it to YA for approval and I would like to think they would be encouraging the use of this kind of system to improve safety rather than trying to impose a ban.

I think this can also be done on an idividual basis as well.

#38 rantifarian

rantifarian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:13 AM

Make sure you mention YA approval in your sales literature, we are due for a new set of tethers soon and these would be great, provided we can race with them!

#39 Glowfast Marine

Glowfast Marine

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:38 AM

Just an update about the YA regulations. I'm told we comply fully with them and you will be able to use them for any YA event. 

I'm also told we have a centre hook lanyard to comply with the YA rules as well.

#40 Glowfast Marine

Glowfast Marine

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:19 PM

Just an update on the Glowfast HLR lanyards.

They are now available for purchase on our website www.glowfast.com and coming to a shop near you very soon. Contact your closest retailer soon to see availability.

#41 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,186 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:35 PM

does the HLR 2hook have a short and long tether like the wichard/spinlocks? or is it just two tethers the same length? hard to tell from the picture. 

#42 Glowfast Marine

Glowfast Marine

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:14 AM

Currently we are releasing 4 types of lanyards

the standard 2 metre.

the elasticated 2 metre

the 2 hook elasticated which has 2 lines the same length

another 2 hook elasticated with one long line and a centre hook

#43 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,186 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:06 PM

Need a short and long tether. The short tether is clutch for working around the foredeck.

#44 Glowfast Marine

Glowfast Marine

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:28 PM

We understand your need for the differnt length lines in the one lanyard.

Please see attached brocure. I think the Glowfast HLR 4 with the 2 Metre elasticated and centre hook will meet your requirements.

Attached File  hlr 4 type brochure small.jpg   268.8K   81 downloads

#45 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,186 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:35 PM

ah, now i see. perfect. will probably pick one up this winter. 

cheers. 

#46 Glowfast Marine

Glowfast Marine

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:53 PM

Just an update. The HLR series will be available online from Whitworths in the next week and available in stores in the coming months. We  encourage you to check them out and send us your feedback. 

We are also running a competition for the best photo's of Glowfast products in action so get snapping and visit www.glowfast.com to submit your entries

#47 chrisdb

chrisdb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:31 PM

Just watched the reset video to see what type of release this was - a nice twist on a basic loop/pin system.

How much load can it reasonably be released under? There must be some load on the curved pin?

#48 Glowfast Marine

Glowfast Marine

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:47 PM

The lanyard is tested and certified to well in excess up to 1000 kg without damage. 

The load on the pin is minimilised due to the internals of the system as well as the cover itself.  

The system has been hand released with a load in excess of 300kg and was easily operated with one hand . (400 kg was our max test for release due to danger of parts flying around on higher loads)

we have also done many real life drag test to see how easy the mechanism is to release in every conceivable situation. The design is specifically targeted to operate with just one hand in loaded as well as no load situations.

In all tests carried out the system was succelfully operated with one hand and was never released prematurely or aciddentily

#49 Glowfast Marine

Glowfast Marine

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:31 PM

Glowfast HLR single hook elasticated and 2 hook elasticated tethers will be available from West Marine, Online this week and in stores in the coming weeks. 

#50 boatyardboy

boatyardboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:03 AM

Neat product, I'll have to check these out next time I'm in West Marine.. May grab a couple and a harness.

#51 someone

someone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:46 AM

Just went looking for these on the whitworths site and could not find them. Looked under Safety Equipment > Safety Harnesses/Tethers > Safety Tethers/Hooks but they do not appear to be listed. Can you post a link?

#52 Glowfast Marine

Glowfast Marine

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:06 PM

@ Someone

Whitworth's is a little slow on picking these up but we are hoping soon they will get on board.

Where abouts are you located there are a few smaller chandleries that have display stock that you can go and have a look at and our Main office is also based in Melbourne so we can send out directly to you without any drama's.

#53 Glowfast Marine

Glowfast Marine

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:43 PM

Firstly thanks for your Questions.

The hook itself will not release under load. The HLR (High Load Release) Device is a seperate part of the tether located near the attacment to the harness. This hopefully answer question 2 also. The release handle is at the harness end of the tether and easily reached with either hand. 

3 It is very easy and an intuitive action to locate and release the tether however we added the Luminous safety handle as an added safety feature. The handle is easy to pull with either hand even under high loads and can be operated with or without gloves.

A couple of thoughts:

1. I'm guessing you've tested for this, but that style of clip looks like it could still fail to disengage under load even with the gate open--jackline or padeye could stay hooked in the top part of the clip unless you relieved some of the pressure on the tether. Something like a snap shackle where the bail has a hinge on it and opens completely might work better.

2. If you're being dragged by the boat, it may not be possible to pull yourself to the end of the tether that's attached to the boat to actuate the release. Consider putting the quick release on the harness end where it will always be within reach.

3. More than likely nobody's going to be trying to operate this thing visually, so the photoluminescent release handle is probably not useful. Users will be able to find it just by following the tether. To be effective it will need to work without visual, with one hand, wearing gloves.

#54 Glowfast Marine

Glowfast Marine

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:45 PM

A further update West Marine will be receiving there first shipment of Glowfast HLR tethers in early May. Please check them out and we look forward to hearing your thougths.

:)

#55 NZW

NZW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:umm ... sailing?

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:06 AM

We've used these and they really are excellent, best tether I've used.  Light, easy to use clips, no significant faults, good value IMHO.  I've just used one for nearly 2000 miles or so short-handed racing and deliveries.

One minor incident - I had the velcro secured cover of the quick-release mechanism catch on something (not sure what) while I was in the cabin pulling sails out, and the cover pulled open, while I was checking it was OK inside (it probably would have been if I'd left it alone!) the catch mechanism came undone.  It took me a while to find the instructions, get it all back together and be sure it was secure again, maybe 20 minutes or so, but I was cold and wet and tired at the time. 

The only issue with mine is that after all that use, and using the tether a lot (always clipped on when on deck alone, and at night, and in rough weather), the elastic is well past it's best.  But that would be a problem with any elastic tether...  just got stretched while I was reaching for things in a hurry too many times.   

Neither of these were big issues though, I'll be replacing it with another one the same.  

#56 thinwater

thinwater

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:31 PM

-- The elastic gone? It seems all of them do that in 2 years.

"One minor incident - I had the velcro secured cover of the quick-release mechanism catch on something (not sure what) while I was in the cabin pulling sails out, and the cover pulled open, while I was checking it was OK inside (it probably would have been if I'd left it alone!) the catch mechanism came undone."

-- That's it, I'm done. As a  single hander, quick release has little value and self-release is a non-starter. But that desn't mean it wouldn't work for folks on fully-crewed boats. These things were originally engineered as parachute releases, release dependably, but the prioreties in that application are different.

-- I like that there is a place (ring) to park the spare tether on a 2-leg rig. Most do not have this feature and thus are not actually quickrelease, no matter apearances (the sailor clips the spare clip to his harness).

#57 Trimmed for speed - - -

Trimmed for speed - - -

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 02:25 PM

Just received mine in the post from West Marine. The single clip version, with elastic. It'll be used with a Spinlock Deckvest.

It's bloody brilliant ! Very elegant yet simple mechanics. Nice work Glowfast peeps. Although I hope I never actually need to 'use' it as actually designed (yikes, cold water), knowing it's there is a huge piece of mind.

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users