• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 SF_90

SF_90

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:39 PM

I know there are a lot of threads on this topic - I have read them all!

But nobody ever mentions this kind/brand:

picture 1

picture 2

quantum video

picture 3

If you look carefully, you can actually see them quiet often. And I must say they do look very simple and, most of all, not as bulky as most normal "climbing" harnesses. I'm really looking for a slim harness that does not get in the way while hiking at all - no matter how uncomfortable it might be for these few minutes I spent up in the rig.

Currently it seems like all harnesses have a big fat belay loop in the front + one or even two buckles right where you'd normally want to place the lifelines on your hip-bones.

There must be somebody around here who knows where to get them - even "Spider" from our favorite movie "Wind" wears such harness!

#2 Flynn

Flynn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:12 AM

theyre likely to be the Aspiring "classic" harness http://www.aspiring.co.nz

Theyre simple, realtively cheap and used a lot in Outdoor ed programs
Best of all they are reasonably low profile

Flynn

#3 ctutmark

ctutmark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Interests:Herding cats

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:51 AM

Lirakis

#4 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:03 AM

We have tried the Spinlock Mast Harness, manufactured by PETZL for Spinlock. I do also some rock climbing and feel very safe using PETZL. That been said, the adaption done o the regular rock harness to convert it into a mast harness is basically the addition of wider/bulkier tight pads allowing the person to stay hanging for longer periods of time before getting cramped due to lack of blood circulation.

Posted Image

The key and common element you see on those harnesses is the width of the straps. That alone makes it worthy.

Cheers,

#5 Ballast Technician

Ballast Technician

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:40 AM

picture 1

picture 2

quantum video

picture 3

If you look carefully, you can actually see them quiet often. And I must say they do look very simple and, most of all, not as bulky as most normal "climbing" harnesses. I'm really looking for a slim harness that does not get in the way while hiking at all - no matter how uncomfortable it might be for these few minutes I spent up in the rig.

Currently it seems like all harnesses have a big fat belay loop in the front + one or even two buckles right where you'd normally want to place the lifelines on your hip-bones.

There must be somebody around here who knows where to get them - even "Spider" from our favorite movie "Wind" wears such harness!

At least at some point Greg was using an Arc'teryx harness, but I cannot remember which model.

#6 SF_90

SF_90

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:35 PM

Lirakis

ok, thanks for the info.. but sadly - after further google-research - it seems as they are not being built anymore :(

maybe I'll just have to ask my local sailmaker to build one according to the pictures available..

We have tried the Spinlock Mast Harness, manufactured by PETZL for Spinlock. I do also some rock climbing and feel very safe using PETZL. That been said, the adaption done o the regular rock harness to convert it into a mast harness is basically the addition of wider/bulkier tight pads allowing the person to stay hanging for longer periods of time before getting cramped due to lack of blood circulation.
The key and common element you see on those harnesses is the width of the straps. That alone makes it worthy.

Yeah, thanks Mr. Salesman :D

I know this super pricey harness, and I actually spend more time hanging in my BD climbing harness during a multi-pitch route on a single day than I ever hang in my Spinlock during a whole season - all there really is to do is to adjust the Ds every once in a while. And that takes about 30 seconds per side.

However, I might be hiking 3 hours a day, and after every tack I have to make sure I've got the harness buckles all the way over the lifeline, and then I still have that pretty stiff belay loop pressed into my lower abdomen.

So I'd rather use whatever harness there is available that is comfortable hiking, no matter what it's like to hang in..

Anybody else got an idea for that?

#7 bluelaser

bluelaser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:48 PM

Remove the belay loop and replace with softer webbing. You technically shouldn't be hanging off the belay loop on the boat anyways, should be tying through the loop on the leg straps and the loop attached to the waist. Obviously don't do this on your harness if you use it for anything other than boat use though.

I use a standard petzl, and the belay loop never really bothered me(and I even added a locking carabiner alongside it to simplify tying of). I can see how it would get in the way on a M32 with the big hiking pads, but on anything with standard lifelines it seems to be fine. Only issue I've ever had was when I locked myself to the mast mid jibe when my quickdraw(another awesome piece of equipment when up the rig) locked on the pole track adjustment lines.

#8 silent bob

silent bob

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:51 PM

Thank God the Lirakis isn't being made anymore. My ball still hurts!

#9 CowboyKell

CowboyKell

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:21 PM

I use the a Black Diamond for all the reasons that you state.
Try looking at mountaineering harnesses not rock climbing. Sure, it's a little uncomfortable hanging in it for an extended time but you're a bowman, you're not supposed to be comfortable.
most weekend warrior bowmen want to be seen in their harness with the excuse of being comfortable up the mast. If I'm going to be up the mast for an extended time I'll use a bosun's chair. The rest of the time I want to be able to wear my harness without realizing it's there. Also as a requirement is to hike, sleep and piss without having to take it off.

#10 markvannote

markvannote

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:24 PM

picture 1

picture 2

quantum video

picture 3

For racing I ended up going to LL Bean and trying on a number of different harnesses for the same reason you are looking. They did find it odd that I was as worried about comfort while hanging as compared to their normal client. I ended up with one from Singing Rock. One buckle on the waist which is out of the way when tight on me, no leg buckles, very lightweight. I am very glad I took the time to try a bunch on.

Thanks.
Mark

#11 USA_73

USA_73

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:57 PM

I have one of these for climbing, and intend to sail with it, too. Super light, no bulk at all, and good enough for all but very extended work. Also nothing but one backup buckle to corrode.

http://edelridna.com...roduct_id=29804

#12 bluelaser

bluelaser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:25 PM

Just checked out Petzl's site - Is this closer to what some of you want?

http://www.petzl.com/us/outdoor/mountaineering-and-climbing-harnesses-0/aspir

Posted Image

http://www.petzl.com/us/outdoor/mountaineering-and-climbing-harnesses-0/pandion

Posted Image

no big belay loop to dig in.

#13 Cruisin Loser

Cruisin Loser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, rock climbing, skiing, steatopygia, stuff

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:57 PM

For the lightest, most comfortable harness, I would go to a climbing shop and look at Arc'teryx harnesses. These are incredibly light and unobtrusive. They are the design gods. Many of their harnesses are little more than 1/2 the weight of competitor's offerings.

#14 JaapvR

JaapvR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Interests:Knitting, searching, jumprope, driving powerboats...

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:20 AM

hands down:
http://klimwinkel.nl...ight-p-442.html

#15 bloodshot

bloodshot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Interests:the pointy end of the boat

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:37 AM

I use the a Black Diamond for all the reasons that you state.
Try looking at mountaineering harnesses not rock climbing. Sure, it's a little uncomfortable hanging in it for an extended time but you're a bowman, you're not supposed to be comfortable.
most weekend warrior bowmen want to be seen in their harness with the excuse of being comfortable up the mast. If I'm going to be up the mast for an extended time I'll use a bosun's chair. The rest of the time I want to be able to wear my harness without realizing it's there. Also as a requirement is to hike, sleep and piss without having to take it off.

yes, on the mounatineering style as they are designed to be work with more clothing, acceories, etc. The rockclimbing ones, while great, are lower profile.

#16 Frogwatch

Frogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:Cruising and making new kinds of hardware

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:29 PM

Forget rock climbing harnesses. Rock climbers do not do that much rope climbing. You need to be looking at caving harnesses because cavers spend absurd amounts of time on rope. A good harness has a point of suspension right about chest height so you can hang without falling backwards.
I've worn my harness for many hours while crawling thru really nasty places without any abnormal discomfort (of course a caver saying he was comfortable is meaningless to anybody else).
You might try "Intermountain Sports" or google caving equipment.

#17 Frogwatch

Frogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:Cruising and making new kinds of hardware

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:33 PM

BTW, when I say "harness", I mean chest and seat harness not just seat harness. Using a seat harness only is a good way to die by hanging upside down.

#18 bluelaser

bluelaser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:17 PM

BTW, when I say "harness", I mean chest and seat harness not just seat harness. Using a seat harness only is a good way to die by hanging upside down.

I thought the point of this thread was unobtrusive?

And using a bosun's chair is a good way to die upside down. You at least have a fighting chance in a climbing harness.

#19 LTR

LTR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Interests:H2o

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:30 PM

Nobody has mentioned adjustable legs loops. Might make a difference to some if you are using the harness with foulies on.

I use Petzl harnesses. Arc Teryx and Black Diamond makes great harnesses as well. I would try on a few different ones with the heaviest gear you have and buy the most comfortable.

Inspect your harness before and after each use.
Replace according to the manufacturers suggestions.
Don't use it unless you know exactly what you are doing.
Know the history of the harness before you go up.
After a hard fall or quick heavy loading replace.

Most harnesses do not exceed 100 bucks, what's your or your crew's life worth?

#20 30Man

30Man

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:31 PM

I've been climbing for 40 years and racing sail boats for even longer. I would definitely choose the newest Arcterix harnesses over anything else. They are a whole new level of comfort and minimal bulk. I have the R320 and wouldn't wear anything else.

#21 LTR

LTR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Interests:H2o

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:15 PM

http://www.petzl.com...nesses/calidris

On my belay loop it actually has instructions to make things a bit easier. Solid waist and leg padding for extensive hanging. It comes in two sizes, 1 and 2, almost anyone can fit into with or without foulies.

The descriptions will lead you to the best options for your own applications.
The R320 looks real nice.

#22 HarryH

HarryH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:12 PM

SF 90,
Take a look at http://airsportsllc.com/
ask for Kenny

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users