#1 dacapo

dacapo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,570 posts
  • Interests:walks on the beach,a good book,a good cry

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:21 AM

New Owner Dennis Conner Enters J/105 North American Championship The J/105 Class has a new boat owner that maybe you've heard of-Dennis Conner-who was recently named America's Greatest Sailor by the membership of US Sailing. Conner is the new owner of J/105 hull #3, now called DC's Pholly. In an interview with the J/105 Class, he shared his thoughts on his newest fleet as well as his sailing career. When asked what led him to purchase a J/105, his answer was clear-the 2012 J/105 North American Championship at San Diego Yacht Club this October 17-21. He summed it up simply, "I like to race, and this is a chance to race against friends, like Dennis and Sharon Case." Long-time members of the J/105 Class, the Case Family actively campaigns Wings, and as Conner's neighbor, just might have had a little influence on DC's recent purchase. "Case is the favorite to win the championship," Conner said proudly of his friend. Although he has yet to race on a J/105, Conner plans to learn his way around DC's Pholly in the coming weeks prior to the North American Championship. With almost 700 J/105s in existence, hull #3 has obviously been around for a while. Does DC's Pholly need a little TLC? "It needs a little help because it hasn't been sailed much," he admitted. "Our local fleet takes excellent care of their boats, so I'll have to get mine up to those standards. They are such beautiful boats." Conner noted that J/105 Fleet 8 has a reputation for its intensity, and he commended the Class for its favorable reputation. "The boats hold their value quite well, which is a testament to the Class." Regatta participation has gone down in many classes over the past year or two, but Conner complemented the J/105 Class for holding its own compared to other fleets. "The J/105s really are a robust Class. We've seen the Etchells fleet drop locally from 45 to 12, but not the J/105s." He called out two primary factors in the current struggle facing many fleets and yacht clubs in maintaining members and participation-time and money. "With two people working, not everyone has the time it takes to be competitive." In his opinion, the J/105 Class has built-in cost control with its sail purchase limits, plus used boat prices are very reasonable. "This bodes well for the J/105 Class." In a career with a plethora of achievements, three particular accomplishments stick out in Conner's mind. "Winning the Star Worlds in 1977 with 89 boats," he recalled. "It was in Kiel, Germany, and we won every race." And it would be hard not to recall the four America's Cup victories and a bronze medal from the 1976 Olympics. "Winning the bronze was really special. Getting a medal around your neck while hearing the Star Spangled Banner is something I'll never forget." The champion was quick to tip his cap to a few other fellow contestants, including Buddy Melges, runner-up in the "America's Greatest Sailor" contest, and legendary Lowell North. "I really look up to Lowell North," Conner commended. "Imagine, four Star National Championships and being the world's best sailmaker. He is my hero." Conner is registered for the J/105 North American Championship, and predicted entrants will see ideal conditions on the race course with steady Southwest breezes of 7-14 knots. He also expects stellar shoreside activities at the San Diego Yacht Club. As far as his own expectations, "I'm not sure what to expect. I'm realistic, and my goal is to be competitive and enjoy the regatta. I'm just excited to be part of it!" And so is the J/105 fleet!

#2 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,958 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:22 PM

could ya use a smaller font ??

#3 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:40 PM

Will get back to you on this as soon as I find a fking magnifier. ;)

#4 RATM

RATM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts
  • Interests:My Grandchildren

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:42 PM

Getting a big name like DC in your class is never a 100% bad thing. One interesting aspect will be DC's knack for boat prep/ tricking out / rule flaunting. Several 105 class rules could come into play here.

Will DC be taking the owner's credit at weigh in?

#5 dacapo

dacapo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,570 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:04 PM

Will get back to you on this as soon as I find a fking magnifier. ;)

I Blame this new forum upgrade.......so in effect, blame the Ed.... B)

#6 dacapo

dacapo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,570 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:05 PM

Getting a big name like DC in your class is never a 100% bad thing. One interesting aspect will be DC's knack for boat prep/ tricking out / rule flaunting. Several 105 class rules could come into play here.

he better. That's better than a diet. (IIRC skipper's weight credit is 225lbs.)

#7 jhc

jhc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:36 PM

"Will DC be taking the owner's credit at weigh in?" (ratm)

Is this the beginning of a new fad diet? The "DC weightloss method"!

I know some other guys who could use this...

#8 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,563 posts
  • Interests:SWMBO

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:00 PM

I still have to go with Charlie Barr for the title of America's Greatest Sailor, sorry Dennis.

#9 MidPack

MidPack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:05 PM

According to Dean...
http://valenciasaili...est-sailor.html
Russell might disagree too having more AC wins than Dennis.

#10 Tejano

Tejano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, sailing, more sailing.

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:11 PM

Does Espo approve?

#11 IrieMon

IrieMon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:40 PM

Let's try this....

New Owner Dennis Conner Enters J/105 North American Championship

The J/105 Class has a new boat owner that maybe you've heard of-Dennis Conner-who was recently named America's Greatest Sailor by the membership of US Sailing. Conner is the new owner of J/105 hull #3, now called DC's Pholly. In an interview with the J/105 Class, he shared his thoughts on his newest fleet as well as his sailing career. When asked what led him to purchase a J/105, his answer was clear-the 2012 J/105 North American Championship at San Diego Yacht Club this October 17-21. He summed it up simply, "I like to race, and this is a chance to race against friends, like Dennis and Sharon Case."

Long-time members of the J/105 Class, the Case Family actively campaigns Wings, and as Conner's neighbor, just might have had a little influence on DC's recent purchase. "Case is the favorite to win the championship," Conner said proudly of his friend. Although he has yet to race on a J/105, Conner plans to learn his way around DC's Pholly in the coming weeks prior to the North American Championship. With almost 700 J/105s in existence, hull #3 has obviously been around for a while. Does DC's Pholly need a little TLC? "It needs a little help because it hasn't been sailed much," he admitted. "Our local fleet takes excellent care of their boats, so I'll have to get mine up to those standards. They are such beautiful boats."

Conner noted that J/105 Fleet 8 has a reputation for its intensity, and he commended the Class for its favorable reputation. "The boats hold their value quite well, which is a testament to the Class." Regatta participation has gone down in many classes over the past year or two, but Conner complemented the J/105 Class for holding its own compared to other fleets. "The J/105s really are a robust Class. We've seen the Etchells fleet drop locally from 45 to 12, but not the J/105s." He called out two primary factors in the current struggle facing many fleets and yacht clubs in maintaining members and participation-time and money. "With two people working, not everyone has the time it takes to be competitive."

In his opinion, the J/105 Class has built-in cost control with its sail purchase limits, plus used boat prices are very reasonable. "This bodes well for the J/105 Class." In a career with a plethora of achievements, three particular accomplishments stick out in Conner's mind. "Winning the Star Worlds in 1977 with 89 boats," he recalled. "It was in Kiel, Germany, and we won every race." And it would be hard not to recall the four America's Cup victories and a bronze medal from the 1976 Olympics. "Winning the bronze was really special. Getting a medal around your neck while hearing the Star Spangled Banner is something I'll never forget."

The champion was quick to tip his cap to a few other fellow contestants, including Buddy Melges, runner-up in the "America's Greatest Sailor" contest, and legendary Lowell North. "I really look up to Lowell North," Conner commended. "Imagine, four Star National Championships and being the world's best sailmaker. He is my hero." Conner is registered for the J/105 North American Championship, and predicted entrants will see ideal conditions on the race course with steady Southwest breezes of 7-14 knots. He also expects stellar shoreside activities at the San Diego Yacht Club. As far as his own expectations, "I'm not sure what to expect. I'm realistic, and my goal is to be competitive and enjoy the regatta. I'm just excited to be part of it!"

And so is the J/105 fleet!

#12 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,931 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:43 PM

According to Dean...

Don't quite see why the views of the Kiwis Dean Barker or Russell Coutts have any relevance to a debate about who's the greatest American sailor.

#13 Remodel

Remodel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,386 posts
  • Interests:Sailboat racing and long distance cruising

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:58 PM

I still have to go with Charlie Barr for the title of America's Greatest Sailor, sorry Dennis.

You do know that Charlie Barr was Scottish?

#14 usa241

usa241

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:14 PM

The reason for the Etchells going from 45 to 12 (it's more than that) in San Diego was that Worlds were here in 2011. People came from all over to race here for the year + leading up to the Championship. It's the same reason that the J105 is doing well in San Diego right now. Wait until after the NA's and you will see a huge drop in numbers. It's normal for any fleet. There are still over 40 Etchells in San Diego and the numbers racing fluctuate by season and conditions and other races going on around the world. DC had not raced Etchells in years and came out for the 14 months leading to the Worlds and then has not steped foot on one locally since. The same will happen in the J105. It's great to have him on the race course and I've been lucky enough to race against him in many classes, but for him to say the Etchells are dead in San Diego is like saying that the weather sucks here also.

#15 aA

aA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,376 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:16 PM

"america's greatest sailboat"...thanks for the lolz

#16 SteveM

SteveM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I would imagine that it would be quite unforgettable to have an Olympic medal around one's neck as your national anthem is played, but that's not something that Dennis has experienced, unless he was a temporary citizen of Sweden that day. Sweden took the gold; USA took the bronze in the Tempests, with the USSR taking the silver. Not to denigrate the bronze, I'm just sayin'...

#17 A CheeseHead

A CheeseHead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:Racing, mostly

And I have to agree. With Lowell North or Peter Barrett coming in behind Charlie. Bear in mind: it was DC who lost America's Cup.

#18 justa1

justa1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:17 PM

Ummm - "Winning the bronze was really special. Getting a medal around your neck while hearing the Star Spangled Banner is something I'll never forget." Do they play the national anthem for the bronze?

#19 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,931 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:20 PM

Born Scottish, took American citizenship, died and is buried in Southampton (UK).

http://query.nytimes...9679C946096D6CF

#20 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,958 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:22 PM

According to Dean...

Don't quite see why the views of the Kiwis Dean Barker or Russell Coutts have any relevance to a debate about who's the greatest American sailor.

foreigner the lot B)

#21 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,958 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:28 PM

And I have to agree. With Lowell North or Peter Barrett coming in behind Charlie. Bear in mind: it was DC who lost Kicked America's Cup in the Arse bringing it to a Professional level where some can makes Millions off those spending Billions as well as setting it free from the death grip of the NYYC

fixed

other than that he's the only person to ever lose the AC 2X

Oh and the only person to have won the Cup or even a single AC race in a Winged Catamaran

that record shall fall next year but for 25 years it stuck ;) .

#22 MoMP

MoMP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,970 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:31 PM

More importantly, being a prescrimp boat , it is probably underweight and needs lead added. He's got to make sure that's been done.

#23 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,958 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:35 PM

More importantly, being a prescrimp boat , it is probably underweight and needs lead added. He's got to make sure that's been done.

funny that DoRag not posting as someone preps a J105 for the NAC ????

#24 usa241

usa241

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:37 PM

the boat used to carry almost 800# of lead in the float line days. I believe it was able to take about half that off when weighed.

#25 MoMP

MoMP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,970 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:00 PM

the boat used to carry almost 800# of lead in the float line days. I believe it was able to take about half that off when weighed.

When the NAs were in Marblehead last year, all boats were weighed. Prior to the weigh in a few had to add lead. He should address this prior to the weigh in, because the placement of the weight was very specific.

#26 some dude

some dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:08 PM

When the NAs were in Marblehead last year, all boats were weighed. Prior to the weigh in a few had to add lead. He should address this prior to the weigh in, because the placement of the weight was very specific.

that boat is already very cherried out from when it won the Lipton Cup a few years ago. very very fast boat. however, if I recall, SDYC was basically told "you can keep the trophy, but use a different boat next time" due to measurement irregularities

bigger issue-why the hell is this regatta in October??? there isn't a worse time to sail in So Cal. 25% chance of regular westerly, 25% chance of Santa Anas with zero wind, totally glassed off, 25% chance of Santa Anas with huge offshore breeze (and skies filled with smoke), 25% chance of cold, rainy, no wind.

#27 soak_ed

soak_ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:16 PM

So I am realizing this thread isn't about Reid Stowe buying a new boat then.

#28 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,958 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:17 PM

that boat is already very cherried out from when it won the Lipton Cup a few years ago. very very fast boat. however, if I recall, SDYC was basically told "you can keep the trophy, but use a different boat next time" due to measurement irregularities

bigger issue-why the hell is this regatta in October??? there isn't a worse time to sail in So Cal. 25% chance of regular westerly, 25% chance of Santa Anas with zero wind, totally glassed off, 25% chance of Santa Anas with huge offshore breeze (and skies filled with smoke), 25% chance of cold, rainy, no wind.

forgot the kelp ;)

#29 hip2b@c

hip2b@c

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:18 PM

JUST FOUND OUT I'M BLIND CANNOT READ SHIT ANYMORE....

#30 some dude

some dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:37 PM

forgot the kelp ;)

ah yes the kelp.
and no more Santana's burritos
and it's still 2 hours to the racecourse
and everyone freaks out if it blows over 15
did I miss anything Woodrow? The Boll Weevil is still there, isn't it?

#31 Shaggy

Shaggy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts
  • Interests:This is SA, you figure it out.......

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:59 PM

I would imagine that it would be quite unforgettable to have an Olympic medal around one's neck as your national anthem is played, but that's not something that Dennis has experienced, unless he was a temporary citizen of Sweden that day. Sweden took the gold; USA took the bronze in the Tempests, with the USSR taking the silver. Not to denigrate the bronze, I'm just sayin'...

Just to give him the benefit of the doubt... Who won the gold in his class that year?? Perhaps we got 2 medals that yr...??

#32 Shaggy

Shaggy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts
  • Interests:This is SA, you figure it out.......

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:13 PM

Just to give him the benefit of the doubt... Who won the gold in his class that year?? Perhaps we got 2 medals that yr...??

OOP read the above wrong... Didn't realize he got it in the tempest... Move on nothing to see here.... :)

#33 knuckles

knuckles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:34 PM

No shit.

#34 kevlar®

kevlar®

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts
  • Interests:Poor taste.

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:05 PM

forgot the kelp ;)

Yuck.

I did buy a lottery ticket today though. Would be pretty cool to take a road trip just to foul DC. Our boat is older and light as well.

#35 some dude

some dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:07 PM

forgot the kelp ;)

Yuck.

I did buy a lottery ticket today though. Would be pretty cool to take a road trip just to foul DC.

that's the J105 spirit!

#36 ZAR

ZAR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,278 posts
  • Location:Sail Cleveland!!!... "our rivers hardly ever catch on fire anymore"
  • Interests:Sailing YOUR boat, drinking YOUR beer

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:16 PM

DC is a fat old man, the 105 is a great fat old man's boat nuf said
(this coming from another fat old man)

#37 MidPack

MidPack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:19 PM

According to Dean...

Whoops, you're right, sorry...

#38 dacapo

dacapo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,570 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:39 PM

forgot the kelp ;)

Yuck.

I did buy a lottery ticket today though. Would be pretty cool to take a road trip just to foul DC. Our boat is older and light as well.

our boat is even older than your and just as light ;-) 187lbs. of lead is all it took to weigh in

#39 Slam Matt

Slam Matt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:41 PM

When you say you're money is with DC, I assume you mean Dennis Chase and Wings, correct!!

#40 some dude

some dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:50 PM

When you say you're money is with DC, I assume you mean Dennis Chase and Wings, correct!!

Skeletor?

#41 usa241

usa241

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:55 PM

And that is an interesting rumor, though not true. The boat is fine, it measures fine,and no one had a problem with it. The last time that it won was 2002 (pre scale) which was the second year in the J105 and hull 45 won it the year after and again in 2008.

#42 kevlar®

kevlar®

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts
  • Interests:Poor taste.

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:20 PM

our boat is even older than your and just as light ;-) 187lbs. of lead is all it took to weigh in

We hold more than that.. and we're dry.

800# in corrector weight for Conner's boat? Is that in pounds? That can't be real.

#43 Dart#004

Dart#004

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:53 PM

And I have to agree. With Lowell North or Peter Barrett coming in behind Charlie. Bear in mind: it was DC who lost America's Cup.

The only thing better than losing the America's Cup is losing it and winning it back. Or so I've heard....

#44 Wet Spreaders

Wet Spreaders

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:33 AM

Tuesday SA Oxford-style debate: "This house believes that a J105 can plane even with DC in it"

#45 SR CHIEF (RET)

SR CHIEF (RET)

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:35 AM

I would put my money on DC for sure. The guy sails his 100 year old 5 knot shit box and beats the shit out of the competition. Step up to a 7 knot shit box and... pretty sure he will do well. good on ya Dennis, racing has slid without the likes of Dennis ripp'in it up a big regatta and tell'in it like it is to the "stuffed shirts" in the tent...

#46 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:52 AM

What has he been sailing up until this point?

#47 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,958 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:55 PM

how much time do you have ?

#48 axolotl

axolotl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Camping

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:08 PM

[ . . ] I assume you mean Dennis Chase and Wings, correct!!

That would be Dennis and Sharon Case, not Chase. And you better mention Sharon or you will suffer.

#49 Kevlar Edge

Kevlar Edge

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:02 PM

hull #3 pre-scrimp boat, he's on the right track, anyone know if it's a tiller or wheel?

#50 Beer Can

Beer Can

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:14 PM

Ummm - "Winning the bronze was really special. Getting a medal around your neck while hearing the Star Spangled Banner is something I'll never forget." Do they play the national anthem for the bronze?

Yes.

#51 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,958 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:34 PM

[ . . ] I assume you mean Dennis Chase and Wings, correct!!

That would be Sharon and Dennis Case, not Chase. And you better mention Sharon or you will suffer.

fixed B)

Two Great People

#52 jerryj2me

jerryj2me

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:39 PM

Recently? Farr 60 (Stars & Stripes), his older schooner, and a bunch of one design, haveing won at least one race in Etchells World's llast year (IIRC)

Woody could probably do a better list.

#53 jocal505

jocal505

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,215 posts
  • Interests:performance sailing, downhill skiing, music

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:12 AM

Recently? Farr 60 (Stars & Stripes), his older schooner, and a bunch of one design, haveing won at least one race in Etchells World's llast year (IIRC)

Woody could probably do a better list.

Somewhere, SA forums have discussed how DC once made improvements to a Soveral 33 and raced it successfully. Same for a Choate 27.

#54 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:40 PM

forgot the kelp ;)

ah yes the kelp.

Don't forget the Boobie Trap - best dinner in town!

#55 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,958 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:16 AM

ah yes the kelp.

Don't forget the Boobie Trap - best dinner in town!

shouldn't you be under there long-Long-Boarding

you know he reads these 105 threads of late

any truth to the rumor of an 800lb fin being fitted to the bulb and weight & float-line now perfect w/no weights ???

Magic i tell ya - Magic :)

Oh and what about your patented balsa-wood shife'er door :o :lol: :lol: :lol:

#56 jocal505

jocal505

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,215 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:09 PM

We have had a DoRag sighting.

#57 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:54 PM

Ahhhhh, actually no. It is true that Pholly won the Lipton in '02, but at that time it was acceptable to add all the corrector weights directly over the keel. The boat was very fast in that "configuration." The 800# corrector weights (as I recall) placed over the keel was truly a Rule mistake. This was brought to the attention of the Class officials before the regatta, however, those lightweights thought the issue was minor. Then Pholly cleaned house against a very good fleet. The Class officials then relooked at the issue and said, "gee, maybe the weight concentration does enhance speed." So they changed the rule and mandated that corrector weights be redistributed over the entire length of the boat.

Guess what - after that Pholly was only an "also ran." Duhhhhhhhh. Presuming those weights stay where mandated, the boat is nothing special, and, in fact, is so old, the hull can no longer take the necessary rig tension.

#58 atefooterz

atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:14 PM

I love the smell of napalm in the morning.......

It puts the lotion in the basket.......

You despise me, but you want me on that wall. You need me on that wall.

Tattaglia is a pimp. It was Barzini who did it.

No, no Mr. Bond. I expect you to die.

Nobody puts Baby in a corner.

Run Forrest, run.

Someone has to answer for Santino.

Tell me, how do you get mud into a tire?

Every senior citizen should wear Life Alert.

If you touch my junk I'll have you arrested......

I did not have sex with that woman, Monica Lewinsky.

I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

My name is Doug and I have mesothelioma.

On IGNORE: Johnny Saint, Couchsurfer, Trickypig, Mad, Albatros, Isma, Steam Flyer, DoRag, Evo, Faux Pas, Rag Doh, Beau Vrolik, A mear Paps, NorCalLaser, VwaP, Da-Woody, BHO. (p)Irate, Acatman, Auscat, Vee, MUST429, SW Sailor, Eyeneversayno, Mustang_1, Life Buoy 1 (the shit head), all other foreigners, including Kingstonsail, Folding prop, Richiec, Bull Gator, Turkey Slapper, jc172528,shutyomouth......more to come...

ran out of room to post :(

#59 davidprobable

davidprobable

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Interests:classic collectible sailing and restoring , confronting the silly.

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:15 PM

that means the greatest american sailor was Sitting Bull.....wait!, thats DC's nickname.

#60 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,219 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:23 PM

is he DCs buttboy

polishing his latest 4kntsb ?

#61 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:10 PM

is he DCs buttboy

polishing his latest 4kntsb ?

Yet another lame post from a foreigner.

#62 echo

echo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts
  • Interests:sailing, cycling and watching my kids grow

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:13 PM

A Flying Tiger and kicking ass maybe? Could be why why the Ed is selling his...

#63 some dude

some dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:11 PM

Ahhhhh, actually no. It is true that Pholly won the Lipton in '02, but at that time it was acceptable to add all the corrector weights directly over the keel. The boat was very fast in that "configuration." The 800# corrector weights (as I recall) placed over the keel was truly a Rule mistake. This was brought to the attention of the Class officials before the regatta, however, those lightweights thought the issue was minor. Then Pholly cleaned house against a very good fleet. The Class officials then relooked at the issue and said, "gee, maybe the weight concentration does enhance speed." So they changed the rule and mandated that corrector weights be redistributed over the entire length of the boat.

Guess what - after that Pholly was only an "also ran." Duhhhhhhhh. Presuming those weights stay where mandated, the boat is nothing special, and, in fact, is so old, the hull can no longer take the necessary rig tension.

the thru-hulls haivng been faired over caused a bit of a stir if I recall....

#64 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:03 AM

the thru-hulls haivng been faired over caused a bit of a stir if I recall....

You sayin' that SDYC cheated and closed the thru hulls?

#65 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,219 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:47 AM

DCs boat-boy - he said there was fairing done

illegal in this class, how you gonna UNfair it?

so the weight correction is invisible now down in the fin 'eh

#66 Black Jack

Black Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:57 PM

I suppose DC now can lose the 105 class after losing important schooner regattas. Glad to hear he gets his boats, sails, prostrate crews and temper for nearly free.

#67 longy

longy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:11 PM

We hold more than that.. and we're dry.

800# in corrector weight for Conner's boat? Is that in pounds? That can't be real.

As the guy that added all the weight, & then moved it, & then reduced it, I can testify that PHOLLY has the correct amount of lead in her to measure in. Yes, originally I had to add a massive amount of lead - this is when float lines were measured down from hull/deck intersections. It was later realized that when the molds were replaced the new molds had a lower freeboard - thus older hulls took excessive amounts of weight to sink them to the float line. Actual weighing was then used, which finally led to parity. And yes, if the rule just requires me to sink a boat to a float line, I'm going to put it all at the main bulkhead. It was never legal to put any lead below the floorboards.

The hull was fully faired by Fitzgerald when it was new, long before any one-design rules, & has a tiller.

#68 Squalamax

Squalamax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:13 PM

And that he's DEAD!

#69 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,219 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:18 PM

might have been implied when he said ' was ' ?

http://query.nytimes...9679C946096D6CF

the above confirms your post m8

#70 Cheap Beer

Cheap Beer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:00 PM

"They are such beautiful boats"
Compared with what?

#71 NorCalLaser

NorCalLaser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:55 AM

I wonder who the big fella will have pulling the strings for him and calling tactics?

#72 jocal505

jocal505

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,215 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:29 AM

I wonder who the big fella will have pulling the strings for him and calling tactics?

DoRag on tactics of course.

#73 laser11011

laser11011

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Sailking

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:27 PM

DC is the first 105 too sign up for Key West.

#74 Footlong

Footlong

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,259 posts
  • Interests:Member # 175

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:26 PM

DC is the first 105 too sign up for Key West.

Maybe this will spark some interest and get a class for KW going again.

#75 MacGregor_Lover

MacGregor_Lover

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:01 PM

Or maybe it is a warning to regatta organizers that they are going to have to order more food.

#76 Heriberto

Heriberto

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts
  • Interests:Mount Gay Sugarcane

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:11 PM

Buddy Melges bought a Farr 30?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users