1965 replies to this topic

#1001 r.finn

r.finn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:00 PM

Haven't you heard?  Seamanship is for pussies.  I can imagine these skippers having to make unpopular decisions to preserve the boats on occasion.  The sail restriction seems like a big deal for this event to encourage self preservation.  However, if the sails are overbuilt, what becomes the fuse?  

#1002 forss

forss

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:07 PM

#1003 Icebear

Icebear

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:01 AM

By old fashioned seamanship are you suggesting that modern crews have inferior seamanship skills? Or that they are reckless? The capability to do 35-40 kt and the chaotic Southern Ocean seas make it a different deal and rather pointless to compare today's seamanship with the olden days.

#1004 Icebear

Icebear

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:11 AM

By old fashioned seamanship are you suggesting that modern crews have inferior seamanship skills? Or that they are reckless? The capability to do 35-40 kt and the chaotic Southern Ocean seas make it a different deal and rather pointless to compare today's seamanship with the olden days.

#1005 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,080 posts
  • Interests:...pimping HOOTs
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:27 AM

....the pre-requisite on seamanship seems to be...

...''must have been world-level in olympic skiffs or -better-,,,and prove you can maintain those skills for extended periods'' :blink:

#1006 European Bloke

European Bloke

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:23 AM

...hopefully the one design has taken away the teams looking for that last fraction of a percentage gain, so we might not get quite as many failures. 

On what planet would this ever happen? First, no team is EVER going to quit looking for that last fraction of a percentage of gain. Second, any boat (including this one) will break, depending on how hard (or competently) it is pushed. How much there is breakage this version is up to the sailors and how hard they push. Is any one design fan actually believing either one of these selling points?

Perhaps I didn't make my point very well.  I should have said maybe the one design will avoid some failiers resulting from structure being underbuilt.

Obviously we can, and someone will, break anything.

You are assuming the previous structures were "underbuilt" rather than over-driven. That assumption is not provable.

There are two things which are so close to a metaphysical certainty that I would bet my house on them:

1. These boats, like all their predecessors, have a weakness(es).

2. The teams (and conditions) will find it(them).

It's not about improving the durability of the boats as much as it is about changing the rules to penalize breakage so severely that teams are out. But the sponsors don't want that, so the teams will press as hard as they need to, and take risks they may not take given different constraints. It's not the boat, it's the rules.

I'm sure that (many of) the old boats were both under built and over driven.  Who's not going to under build a boat and then push it too hard?  I'm hoping that if someone's building a bunch the same they're less likely to be inclined to underbuilt as badly.  The fact that these boats will have weaknesses is a given.  All that said I think there is less likelihood of seriously underbuilt boats.

There's still a penalty to failing to finish a leg, you've got no points.  Also if you get it badly wrong you miss the next leg.

I've sailed non discard regattas and there's nothing worse than people packing up and going home after a couple of days.  Punishing people too hard is not good for the sponsors, and whittling down the number of contenders is not good for the spectators.

#1007 schakel

schakel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:30 PM

Hey, just was looking at the photos...  How does the new boat (VO65) compare to the old ones (VO70s) with respect to freeboard?  About the same?

If you berth them side by side you know.

attachicon.gifVO70-Puma-Alicante.jpg

attachicon.gifVO65.jpg

From what I see on the photo's it's quitte the same

Hey Schakel, what with the BA avatar, is this a love thing?

No,

Just a possible winner for the cup. He was certainly very important in the last cup.

It's said he was for 50 percent responsible for the win.

I hope he will be able to manage his own team but I think he needs a lot of help.

His girlfriend is Dutch:

Attached File  Marit_Bouwmeester.jpg   27.72K   87 downloads

I photographed her team once.

#1008 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,822 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:03 PM

Hey, just was looking at the photos...  How does the new boat (VO65) compare to the old ones (VO70s) with respect to freeboard?  About the same?

attachicon.gifVO65.jpg

No,

Just a possible winner for the cup. He was certainly very important in the last cup.

I hope he will be able to manage his own team but I think he needs a lot of help. bottomless pit of money

His girlfriend is Dutch:

attachicon.gifMarit_Bouwmeester.jpg

Fixed ;)

#1009 nroose

nroose

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:05 PM

I thought Ben was courting Pippa?

#1010 schakel

schakel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:34 PM

ohhh oh oh, nroose,

This is going to be a mess again. Do you have a source for that?

Is that what they do in Berkeley? Telling things without a source?

Doesn't look science to me... 

#1011 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,080 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:26 PM

I thought Ben was courting Pippa?

ohhh oh oh, nroose,

......what is this--'valentines at th'VO???

...yer guys should.....GET A ROOM! <_<  :rolleyes:

#1012 Sarc

Sarc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Interests:Forward of the mast.
    Moore 5oh

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:31 PM

Seeing Sam Greenfields new video on team Alvichimedia I wonder if he's made the short list to be the on board reporter?

#1013 jfunk

jfunk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:42 PM

I am pumped for this edition of the Volvo. I think the One design makes it far more interesting.

I have decided to visit every port and be there for the starts and the in port racing. Bring it on.

#1014 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:25 AM

I am pumped for this edition of the Volvo. I think the One design makes it far more interesting.

I have decided to visit every port and be there for the starts and the in port racing. Bring it on.

You clearly have too much time and money if you are going to be a Volvo racer chaser.

#1015 umpire

umpire

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:29 AM

attachicon.gifVO65.jpg

No,

I hope he will be able to manage his own team but I think he needs a lot of help.

His girlfriend is Dutch:
Marit_Bouwmeester.jpg
Ex girlfriend

#1016 Francis Vaughan

Francis Vaughan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:59 AM

I think one of the issues with breaking boats is that there is breaking, and then there is breaking.  What we have seen in previous VORs, in addition to the usual failures on racing boats, have been serious, potentially life threatening structural failures.  In the first race with VO70s the canting keel was the big problem.  The specification of a milled steel fin proved to be a very good call, and no-one lost a keel, but keel rams fractured, hydraulics failed with monotonous regularity, and one keel tore out of the boat structure leading to loss of the boat. These were all underbuilt boats.  Basically the designers got it wrong, and the sailors only found out the hard way where the less than adequate bounds were.  Of course they were pushing, but inexperience on both designer's and sailor's sides with the new design rules lead to really quite bad problems.  Later races saw bad boat threatening delaminations and failures of ring frames and stringers. 

The common element with all these failures are slamming loads. 

In addition we saw all the usual failures we would expect racing.  Dismastings, blow outs of various sails, running rigging failures, gear failures. Worryingly, we did also see standing rigging failures which were underdesign, and some of which were below specification parts (wrong metal alloy).

The trouble with the structural failures is that there is no easy way to tell a sailor where the limits are.  Seamanship doesn't really come into play.  A boat can be perfectly healthy, sailing really fast, and a single slightly taller wave taken at a slightly poor angle mean a major failure of a brittle structure.  Even a highly instrumented boat isn't really going to give enough warning about these loads.  In that respect I would say the previous boats were underbuilt. 

We expect failures when racing hard.  That is part of the nature of the game.  However the failures I would allow as part of the game are the usual ones - blown out sails, running rigging failures, and - in the extreme - dismastings. What don't consider reasonable is where a life threatening failure of the hull can occur due to hard sailing - before something else gives.  That is in part what I tend to mean by a "fuse".  Pushing really hard in fast conditions should have the mind of the sailor on keeping the parts of the boat he has some clear direct understanding and view of intact.  Sails, rigging, mast.  If the mind is concentrated on going fast but not losing the rig, you are much better off than going fast and not having any clue where the next failure will come from, whether it be the keel failing, the hull de-laminating, or the front falling off. 

That seems to be the problem with open designs.  Engineers like to balance a design.  The idea that you overbuild one part of the boat is anathema. That leads to regime where you carefully balance out the design within the mass budget you have.  We hear from the designers of the VOD65 how they have deliberately skewed the design to strengthen areas subject to failure in extreme conditions.  That will lead to a very marginally slower boat than one where the build is balanced out.

This was the ultimate problem.  To win the VOR with a VO70 you need two things.  A boat as at least as fast as anyone else's, and the luck not to break it. If you build the boat stronger, you will not win.  There will always be someone else who has a weaker, faster boat, that had the luck not to break it. So, given you want to win, you take the chance. And you get a row of weaker boats racing. So everyone's boats broke.  Many with life threatening hull failures.

So, the answer would appear to be what has been done.  Build the hull as strong as you can.  Let the sailors push as hard as they desire, with the hope that if they do push past the edge, they will have a non-life threatening failure - all the way up to a rig loss, but that the boat itself will not fail.

#1017 nroose

nroose

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:04 AM

ohhh oh oh, nroose,

Pippa_Sailing__6_2765061b.jpg

#1018 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,080 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:07 AM

ohhh oh oh, nroose,

..take it to 'Ben-Love anarchy'.....or 'Don'tYouKnowWhoIAmarchy '

#1019 umpire

umpire

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:13 AM

ohhh oh oh, nroose,

That picture is from an article she writes for the Telegraph. BA's girlfriend is Georgie Thompson, not Pippa.
Anyway back to the sailing.

#1020 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,080 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:21 AM

Anyway back to the sailing.

...PUHleeze!!! :mellow:

#1021 Laser1

Laser1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:30 PM

Really ?

#1022 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,822 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:20 PM

Whats the budget for that trip? :P

#1023 forss

forss

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:59 PM

I'll do the same.

But I am not a rich man.

Google streetview and volvo live website for me :(

#1024 Potter

Potter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:53 AM

I'll do the same.

But I am not a rich man.

I have a horrible feeling we may not get the same live streaming for the in port racing as we did last time.
I think VOR are planning on using traditional broadcasters instead. Hopefully I am wrong, as the chances of a freeview broadcaster picking it up in the uk is pretty slim.

#1025 schakel

schakel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:01 PM

Brunel maidentrip has just started:

Attached File  Maiden trip preperations.jpg   32.88K   64 downloads

Attached File  Maiden trip brunel.jpg   41.34K   62 downloads

https://twitter.com/brunelsailing

Certainly easy wheather. But wise... It's expensive equipment.

#1026 Terrorvision

Terrorvision

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,832 posts
  • Interests:Taking 'the' out of Psychotherapist

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:08 PM

Dongfeng has already been out sailing in 20+ knots in Hong Kong!

#1027 umpire

umpire

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:49 PM

Brunel maidentrip has just started:
Maiden trip preperations.jpg
Maiden trip brunel.jpg
https://twitter.com/brunelsailing
Certainly easy wheather. But wise... It's expensive equipment.

So is my wife!

#1028 nroose

nroose

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:20 PM

I'll do the same.

But I am not a rich man.

I have a horrible feeling we may not get the same live streaming for the in port racing as we did last time.
I think VOR are planning on using traditional broadcasters instead. Hopefully I am wrong, as the chances of a freeview broadcaster picking it up in the uk is pretty slim.

Oh that would be disappointing.  If they are going the way of everyone else, they will probably only do streaming to people who have cable anyway.  It's Comcast's battle with cord cutters.

#1029 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,319 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:29 PM

Seeing Sam Greenfields new video on team Alvichimedia I wonder if he's made the short list to be the on board reporter?

Sam is working directly for VOR at the moment.   there are about 6 US media folks on the short list.

#1030 schakel

schakel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:02 PM

Latest from Brunel:

Pieter Jan Postma grinding aboard Brunel.

Bouwe Bekking at the wheel for training.

Attached File  Pieter Jan Postma grinding aboard Brunel Bouwe Bekking at wheel.jpg   35.1K   48 downloads

#1031 rebootfkz

rebootfkz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:22 PM

Schakel,

I would change your pic. BA and MB broke up after the olympics

Bouwe keeps his team in the picture, where are te nice training pics of the other teams?

SCA seems to be on the low after the first pics and walk arounds.

attachicon.gifVO65.jpg

No,

His girlfriend is Dutch:

#1032 schakel

schakel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:39 PM

I don't give a shit Ben and Marit broke up. 

People are entitled to their personal life.

I do not like the english Tabloids very much that thrives on details like this.

Big head-lines about nothing.

But I like it they nailed Boris Bekker:

Attached File  Times tabloid december 2000.jpg   134.83K   12 downloads

Schakel,

I would change your pic. BA and MB broke up after the olympics

Bouwe keeps his team in the picture, where are te nice training pics of the other teams?

SCA seems to be on the low after the first pics and walk arounds.

attachicon.gifVO65.jpg

No,

His girlfriend is Dutch:

#1033 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,638 posts
  • Interests:Racing in all forms.

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:58 PM

people are entitled to their personal life.

People who keep their lives private are entitled to a private life. People who make a lot of money by being famous for being famous have signed a Faustian pact. BA's relentless pursuit of publicity puts him into that category. I realise he's doing it as the price of raising £M for AC35 but even so, it's a position he's chosen to put himself into.

#1034 schakel

schakel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:00 PM

people are entitled to their personal life.

People who keep their lives private are entitled to a private life. People who make a lot of money by being famous for being famous have signed a Faustian pact. BA's relentless pursuit of publicity puts him into that category. I realise he's doing it as the price of raising £M for AC35 but even so, it's a position he's chosen to put himself into.

4 times Olympic Champion, 10 times world Champion and one of the main components in the Oracle team is something to be honoured.

He was honoured, as you remember with his Sir tittle.

It's British, I know. 

If he wasn't that good he wouldn't draw all the attention.
But as with everything in the UK.. the tabloids messes everything up.

But back to the VOR!
Ian Walker presents his new team Abu Dhabi Racing on the VOR website:
Attached File  Abu Dhabi Racing with Ian Walker.jpg   78.28K   30 downloads

#1035 forss

forss

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:54 PM

times Olympic Champion, 10 times world Champion and one of the main components in the Oracle team is something to be honoured.

It's British, I know. 

BA is still an asshole who attacked photographer.

#1036 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,080 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:12 PM

times Olympic Champion, 10 times world Champion and one of the main components in the Oracle team is something to be honoured.

It's British, I know. 

BA is still an asshole who attacked photographer.

...yes,,there's many of us who won't forget this aspect of the guy,,

,,I guess there's a lot of famous people who are asses in their private lives,

,,,,but that was a VERY public event,,,and all the creds he used in that minute went straight out the window for me,at least.

...........not to mention the handling of the event by the british and world sailing federations.

...any other sailor would have been given the life's BOOT <_<

...he's a classic 'DYK'** in my book ......**(DontYouKnowWhoIam!!?) 

...in any case this should be in a 'we-love-Ben' thread

#1037 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,638 posts
  • Interests:Racing in all forms.

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:16 PM

It's British, I know. 

You are taking both the British honours system and the British tabloids more seriously than most British take them.

Btw I know a "Sir". He reads the tabloids because he likes a laugh. I don't read them but they do sometimes come in handy for lining the floor in our hen-houses.

#1038 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,080 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:21 PM

Btw I know a "Sir". He reads the tabloids because he likes a laugh. I don't read them but they do sometimes come in handy for lining the floor in our hen-houses.

...yeh..hens really like to eat-up that stuff :rolleyes:

#1039 mikemt

mikemt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:10 AM

any rumors on the teams #6 and #7?  Heard from the grapevine that a second dutch team might happen... . For me the two obvious candidates are still ETNZ (with GD just playing hard to get a better deal from VOR), and the Spanish with their tax benefits (although with some of their key sailors taking other gigs starting to be not so sure - Pepe Ribes is doing the BWR with Hugo Boss, Pablo Arrate just joined Team Brunel, Iker looks very Olympic Games focussed)

#1040 schakel

schakel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:13 PM

Team Sca back to training in Lanzarote.

Attached File  Lanzarote training SCA.jpg   10.72K   27 downloads

Team Brunel having fun:

Attached File  Brunel postma having fun.jpg   31.66K   29 downloads

And I changed my avatar from Ben Ainsley to Hokusai because of all the fuzz.

#1041 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,080 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:09 PM

...a favorite pic now!

...Had always thought the other pic was of yourself until someone mentioned the big A :rolleyes:

#1042 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,080 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:11 PM

any rumors on the teams #6 and #7?  Heard from the grapevine that a second dutch team might happen... . For me the two obvious candidates are still ETNZ (with GD just playing hard to get a better deal from VOR), and the Spanish with their tax benefits (although with some of their key sailors taking other gigs starting to be not so sure - Pepe Ribes is doing the BWR with Hugo Boss, Pablo Arrate just joined Team Brunel, Iker looks very Olympic Games focussed)

....yeh,,time is running down! :huh:

...I guess ETNZ can afford to step in pretty late--allow the other teams to find any weak-links.

......I agree with the thought they're playing their cards.....kinda like blackjack though---might draw one to many in the waiting game

#1043 schakel

schakel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:40 PM

I heard through the grapevine that Roy Heiner went past all his possible sponsors and is fed up with all the definate NO's he got.

Too bad, I was with him a bar over here and he's certainly a professional sailor.

But perhaps mr. De Ridder from my yachtclub who did the mean machine campaign is ready for some action.

Otherwise I won't know any body else.

Attached File  mean machine.jpg   103.3K   28 downloads

And with the last hulls going to NZL? very very late. But ok if they try of course.

....yeh,,time is running down! :huh:

...I guess ETNZ can afford to step in pretty late--allow the other teams to find any weak-links.

......I agree with the thought they're playing their cards.....kinda like blackjack though---might draw one to many in the waiting game

#1044 Francis Vaughan

Francis Vaughan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:25 PM

But perhaps mr. De Ridder from my yachtclub who did the mean machine campaign is ready for some action.

Otherwise I won't know any body else.

Funny, I had Mean Machine in mind when the OD rule first came out, it seemed that it would be exactly what teams like that needed to get across the line.  But Mean Machine seems to have gone awfully quiet since abandoning the TP52 series.  GFC?  Just past it?  I think getting a team like that in would make a very important difference to the VOR. It would be pretty cool if they did turn out to be one of the teams yet to announce, but sadly I don't have much hope.

#1045 umpire

umpire

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:04 PM

Team Sca back to training in Lanzarote.
Lanzarote training SCA.jpg
Team Brunel having fun:
Brunel postma having fun.jpg
 Ko

Fuzz? Surely you mean fuss? Oh, and it's Ainslie.

#1046 shanghaisailor

shanghaisailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:01 AM

I see some posters  few back are still wittering on about the Ben Ainslie phtographer event. The photgrapher shouldn't have interfered with Ainslie's chance of winning then there wouldn't have been a problem. Come to think of it ISAF shouldn't  have been so stupid to deny right to redress in the NoR or SI's

Funny though, I though this was the VOR Teams thread!

On that matter, some cool news about Dongeng coming out of China in a few days.

See ya on the water.

SS

#1047 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,917 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:55 AM

Some chat from FYD

http://www.sailingwo...ying-with-power

#1048 schakel

schakel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:55 PM

Some chat from FYD

In that article, that you are referring to, the head line mentions:

GREEN-WATER MANAGEMENT IN THE COCKPIT PREVENTS THE DRIVER FROM GETTING SWEPT OFF THE WHEEL.

Believe it or not: I made this suggestion 8 years ago.

But .. better late then never.

#1049 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,822 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:42 PM

Some chat from FYD

From the article

The VO65 has 800 kilograms more carbon than the VO70

:o

#1050 European Bloke

European Bloke

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:14 PM

Some chat from FYD

From the article

>The VO65 has 800 kilograms more carbon than the VO70

Please tell me that's typo.  That must be about 2km off the roll...

#1051 schakel

schakel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:22 PM

It's for safety.

The article says the following:

Overall the boat has a lot more structure than a VO70. The VO70 rule had a minimum number of bulkheads, combined with panel limitations, which allowed us to produce very light and open boats inside. This was good for freely moving gear but, as we saw in the last race, also produced boats that were prone to structural failures. With the VO65, every part of the boat has been designed much more conservatively. We have more structure, for example, with added longitudinal beams in the bow area and an additional bulkhead in the front of the boat.

Sustainable technology is what engineers call it.

From the article

Some chat from FYD

>The VO65 has 800 kilograms more carbon than the VO70

#1052 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,822 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:47 PM

Some chat from FYD

From the article

>The VO65 has 800 kilograms more carbon than th

e VO70

Its a shit load of carbon thats for sure

#1053 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,917 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:09 PM

Metric shit load. 

#1054 edouard

edouard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • Interests:Leisure sailing for 35 years with anything windpowered from Hobies to Classic Keelboats

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:18 PM

The part I love is

"Creating an identity The bow has a noticeably reversed stem shape. A lot of styling attention was concentrated on the bow area because it is the most photographed part of the boat by a huge margin. We were under a lot of pressure to produce a boat that was relevant in its image and instantly recognizable. This is one area where a statement has to be made. The fastest boats in the world are multihulls, and they all have wave-piercing bows."

Guess what. Multihulls designed to go around the world do NOT have reversed bows. I wonder why.

#1055 r.finn

r.finn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:36 PM

Guess what. Multihulls designed to go around the world do NOT have reversed bows. I wonder why.

Can you please explain?

#1056 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,319 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:58 PM

The part I love is

"Creating an identity The bow has a noticeably reversed stem shape. A lot of styling attention was concentrated on the bow area because it is the most photographed part of the boat by a huge margin. We were under a lot of pressure to produce a boat that was relevant in its image and instantly recognizable. This is one area where a statement has to be made. The fastest boats in the world are multihulls, and they all have wave-piercing bows."

Can you please explain?

This one seems to have gotten around the world OK with reverse bows, Eddie.  When is the last time you looked at a RTW multihull...2006?

Edit:  Here's one too - one of a whole fleet designed to go around the world.  

Attached Files

#1057 zlobko

zlobko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:24 AM

how many words NZL crew need to know in spanish ?

#1058 valenciasailing

valenciasailing

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:41 AM

how many words NZL crew need to know in spanish ?

It depends on how many millions they give them... The word is they get €6 million from MAPFRE... http://www.vsail.inf...pos-and-mapfre/

#1059 schakel

schakel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:47 AM

Big news,

Valencia sailing already had it.

From V Sail:

Emirates Team New Zealand to enter the Volvo Ocean Race with Pedro Campos and MAPFRE

According to one of Spain’s top sailing journalists, Nicolas Terry, Emirates Team New Zealand is back in the Volvo Ocean Race, joining forces with Pedro Campos.

Just like the previous edition of the round-the-world race, Emirates Team New Zealand will take part in a Kiwi-Spanish joint-venture and according to reliable sources out of a total budget of €16 million, Grant Dalton will chip in with €10 million while Mapfre, the Spanish insurance giant, will provide €6 million.

Hats off to Grant Dalton for securing yet another big-name sponsor from Spain to fund the Kiwi entry in the premiere round-the-world race. There is a rumor about a big Russian sponsor as well but this is still unconfirmed.

This is a developing story, so stay tuned…" 

Grand Dalton seemed to have found the new sponsors.

#1060 pidry

pidry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:28 PM

Sad news ... as it means we will not get Team ESP 1 aka "Telefonica / Mapfre" AND TNZ, but only one team out of two potential candidates ... but than, at least, we get one more team ... :-)

#1061 ITA602

ITA602

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:Sail more & work less, snowboarding, reading a good book.

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:10 PM

Folks, 

I'm pretty sure Boat#8 will not be on the starting line...

1- Chinese

2- SCA

3- Alvimedica

4- Brunel

5- ADOR

6- ??

7- ??

#1062 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,319 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:13 PM

You could be right, but since # 6 is pretty well confirmed by now....

6: ETNZ/Mapfre

#1063 schakel

schakel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:30 PM

They will be strong I guess. I try to get some news for the possible crew or skipper on Twitter and the ETNZ site but nothing mentions a skipper or a crew.

#1064 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,319 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:30 PM

My sources say Nicho for sure, and Campos in the management team as either CEO or Team Director, whatever that means.  Mapfre's sponsorship may be more about Pedro and the King making sure the VOR start stays in Alicante for 2017...

#1065 Alinghi4ever

Alinghi4ever

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:44 PM

Folks, 

I'm pretty sure Boat#8 will not be on the starting line...

1- Chinese

2- SCA

3- Alvimedica

4- Brunel

5- ADOR

6- ??

7- ??

There will be 7 Teams I think:

1. Dongfeng

2. SCA

3. Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing

4. Team Brunel

5. Team Alvimedica

6. Team Mapfre with ETNZ

7. Germany or British???

#1066 Dino

Dino

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:07 PM

I arrived on holidays in Lanzarote last night. Woke up this morning pulled back the curtains and there was Team SCA and another Volvo boat out training. Are they using a 70 to train with or is there another V65 based here.
I'm planning on heading to Puerto Calero tomorrow to take a look and hopefully get a few pics. I'll post a few here.

I know it's a total long shot but does anyone have any contacts to get me a spin on one?

#1067 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,080 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:09 PM

7. Germany or British???

.....maybe th'Limeys and Gerries will team up!!? :mellow: :P

#1068 Potter

Potter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:47 PM

I arrived on holidays in Lanzarote last night. Woke up this morning pulled back the curtains and there was Team SCA and another Volvo boat out training. Are they using a 70 to train with or is there another V65 based here.
I'm planning on heading to Puerto Calero tomorrow to take a look and hopefully get a few pics. I'll post a few here.

I know it's a total long shot but does anyone have any contacts to get me a spin on one?

They bought Puma from the last race as a training boat and then have used it for two boat testing with the 65.

#1069 thetiedarch

thetiedarch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Structural Engineering, Bridges, Yachts and lusting over the dream of working for ETNZ - Grant, call me.

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:15 PM

Orgasms galore.

Well at least I have a reason to come to work now. Even if it is just to follow the race online.

#1070 420

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:48 PM

The German team is probably not going to happen. From what I heard they´re trying to sell golf balls to fund their campaign...

#1071 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,080 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:48 PM

....just say Clean sent ya!! ;)

#1072 Racing Rigo

Racing Rigo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Light displacement big boat racing

Posted 26 February 2014 - 02:00 AM

I'll do the same.

But I am not a rich man.

Not only are they planning to do live streaming, but I hear they're planning to really up the info from the boats this time round.  Current plan is to have a daily 2 minute show, fully edited.  This will help move the focus away from the Nav/Tax review yawn fest of old - where we simply used to get a repeat of what we already knew from the tracker, and instead get a real inside track of what's going on with the boats - ie. peels, mast climbs, watch changes etc etc...

It'll be a hell of a lot better - plus they've loads more remote cameras, MCMs as before and a much bigger off the boats camera team.  There will also be 24hr producer coverage, so best bits & incidents can be pushed out to the media as and when it happens.   Good on'em.

#1073 yachtyakka

yachtyakka

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:09 AM

Dalton Talks to TV3 News

http://www.3news.co....58/Default.aspx

#1074 hurga

hurga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:25 AM

The German team is probably not going to happen. From what I heard they´re trying to sell golf balls to fund their campaign...

The German Team is definitely not going to happen.

Correct, there is some weirdo wanting to sell enough golf balls to found a campain (because golf and sailing have the same wealthy background or so he arguments). Except the idea there is nothing, no team, no management no sailors and no time - and of course - not to mention - no money.

The link to the story / Interview:

http://segelreporter...cean-race-will/

Its of course in German but you can use the internettranslator if you like (take it from me - not worth the time

So there is nothing to team up with, either the British team take the boat or it stays back.

#1075 schakel

schakel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:27 AM

Correct, there is some weirdo wanting to sell enough golf balls to found a campain (because golf and sailing have the same wealthy background or so he arguments). Except the idea there is nothing, no team, no management no sailors and no time - and of course - not to mention - no money.

Its of course in German but you can use the internettranslator if you like (take it from me - not worth the time

So there is nothing to team up with, either the British team take the boat or it stays back.

What about Illbruck challenge that won the VOR 2002?

Nowadays it is Pinta with CEO michael Illbruck

http://www.pinta-rac...ng-history.html

They were active until 2008 and are in race cars with Porsches right now.

#1076 mikemt

mikemt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:31 AM

the German campaign is amazing...I am speechless after reading the interview.... there are indeed naive dreamers out there with no reality concioussness... viel Glück, ha! 

here their official website in English

http://www.golfoceanracing.com/

#1077 Racing Rigo

Racing Rigo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Light displacement big boat racing

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:38 AM

And there's a Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/golfoceanracing?fref=ts 

This golfing thing simply can't fail....

#1078 chuso007

chuso007

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,067 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:16 AM

Team Movistar will give you a course on Ocean racing onboard Telefonica Black in Sanxenxo... I do have contacts there if you want.

Here's the email to contact them: cursov70@teamcampos.es

#1079 desi1

desi1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:rtfegvfrtgefr

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:49 AM

Charles Caudrelier will be the skipper of Dongfeng. At 40, he participated to the Groupama winning ride in 2012 as helmsman. Former winner of the Solitaire du Figaro and Transat jacques Vabre.

Sports daily l'Equipe adds that a third of the crew will be chinese, the rest presumably french.

Wonder what language they'll use onboard.   :blink:

#1080 shanghaisailor

shanghaisailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:13 PM

Probably English, it is the most used language in China after the mother tongue and both sides of the equation will have to adapt.

Also the team has on hand people capable of speaking the three languages; English, Chinese and Boat - don't forget we talk a different language than the landlubbers.

Plus there is already an English/Chinese glossary of sailing terms but not Chinese/French.

As the sponsor is Chinese the language should at least be partly Chinese - shouldn't it?

See ya on the water

SS

#1081 Krashwerks

Krashwerks

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 02:52 PM

To clarify a few comments made regarding the developing Spanish Kiwi partnership. Mapfre is not a bank. It is an insurance company. It does, however,  participate in a wee bit of investment/pension fund management in Spain. Additionally, Mapfre has committed to participate in some fashion, but it has not committed to a specific dollar amount. Grant Dalton did not secure Mapfre as a sponsor. Team Campos is solely responsible for that effort.

Regardless, the pairing of the body of work of Pedro Campos and Grant Dalton will certainly prove to be a formidable force on the water.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/9768215/Hope-for-Team-New-Zealand 

Additionally, word coming out of Nembro is that boat 8 is about to receive the green light. I suspect that there is far more going on behind the scenes than we know.   

#1082 hurga

hurga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 02:52 PM

I heard that the company´s development after transition from father to son doesn´t allow a campaingn any bigger than what they have at the moment.

Don´t nail me on that, I havnt checked their records - costal talk only.

#1083 schakel

schakel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:22 PM

I heard that the company´s development after transition from father to son doesn´t allow a campaingn any bigger than what they have at the moment.

It's expensive..yes  But brings a lot of advertisement.

#1084 T27

T27

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:36 PM

Any word on who might be involved with a UK team (Rob Greenhalgh...) ?

#1085 hurga

hurga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:44 PM

It's expensive..yes  But brings a lot of advertisement.

Try to convince your bank.... or sell golf balls..... ;-(

Sailing is not en vouge in Germany, clearly to be seen that a German company like Puma had been starting under US flag for the VOR.

Only exception: There will be Jörg Riechers with MARE competing in the IMOCA 60 circus, but thats it.

All other efforts are more or less initiated privately, like VARUNA competing in the Sydney Hobart race and few others.

#1086 mikemt

mikemt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:17 PM

To clarify a few comments made regarding the developing Spanish Kiwi partnership. Mapfre is not a bank. It is an insurance company. It does, however,  participate in a wee bit of investment/pension fund management in Spain. Additionally, Mapfre has committed to participate in some fashion, but it has not committed to a specific dollar amount. Grant Dalton did not secure Mapfre as a sponsor. Team Campos is solely responsible for that effort.

Regardless, the pairing of the body of work of Pedro Campos and Grant Dalton will certainly prove to be a formidable force on the water.

Additionally, word coming out of Nembro is that boat 8 is about to receive the green light. I suspect that there is far more going on behind the scenes than we know.   

if there are 8 boats on the starting line, a beer on me, Krash.  No way. 

#1087 Soley

Soley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Interests:Take a guess. It ain't too hard.....

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:49 PM

Since they plan on using the same boats for the following race, you could build the stuff that takes the longest and then mothball the boat at a stage where it can be ramped up fairly quickly if there is a late entry. Just thinking the reasoning behind the eighth boat. I don't realistically see an eighth team this time.

#1088 forss

forss

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:06 PM

1973445_703745312982202_247334168_o.jpg

smoooooth

#1089 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,080 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:34 PM

1973445_703745312982202_247334168_o.jpg

smoooooth

..............nooooiiiice!

#1090 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,190 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:51 PM

Guess they realized that a black boat gets fucking hot in the tropics.

#1091 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,319 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:37 PM

After driving for 20 hours, I just got a cryptic e-mail from an ETNZ 'friend'.

ETNZ has an option to be part of the Campos team, not yet exercised.  They may instead buy boat number 8 as a pure ETNZ team.   

#1092 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts
  • Interests:Sailing. Classic Yachts. Following what's happening in development classes.

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:02 PM

After driving for 20 hours, I just got a cryptic e-mail from an ETNZ 'friend'.

ETNZ has an option to be part of the Campos team, not yet exercised.  They may instead buy boat number 8 as a pure ETNZ team.   

Some road trip, Mr.CLEAN. Couldn't have taken a plane then?

#1093 Krashwerks

Krashwerks

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:07 PM

if there are 8 boats on the starting line, a beer on me, Krash.  No way. 

I will gladly take you up on the beer. I did not say that there would be 8 teams, merely that Boat 8 was likely to be built. Let us not forget that it would be far less expensive to build number 8 now, than to wait and start anew for the next edition. Boat 8 could likely be Boat 1 for 2017-2018 

#1094 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,080 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:35 PM

Let us not forget that it would be far less expensive to build number 8 now, than to wait and start anew for the next edition. Boat 8 could likely be Boat 1 for 2017-2018 

...might not be a bad idea to have a spare on the VO freighter**......

...then they could be rebuilding one on the 'pit-ship' hopefully before the next one breaks :mellow:

...............**......you heard it here first!

#1095 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,497 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:38 PM

The AD boat looks sharp.  Way better then their first boat.

WetHog  :ph34r:

#1096 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,080 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:47 PM

........that'd make for quite a race!

#1097 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,319 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:28 PM

Forget it.  Dalts confirmed.

#1098 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,080 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:24 PM

...so that's number 8??

#1099 Soley

Soley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Interests:Take a guess. It ain't too hard.....

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:40 PM

...so that's number 8??

No, number 6

#1100 shanghaisailor

shanghaisailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:37 AM

What Mr Clean meant is Dalts confirmed a JV with Pedro. Joint management by the 2 of the 3 strongest teams in the last edition.

Skipper Chris Nicholson according to Mr D. and a bunch of TNZ guys and who knows maybe a couple off the old Telefonica (personal speculation).

Grant D says it is not a done deal from funding side of things but then again they are his cards and he is entitled to play them close to his chest at this stage.

SS

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users