#102 onimod

onimod

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts
  • Interests:Cannot be left blank

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:26 AM

^ and Joca is on board with SCA - future sailing role with a 2nd boat or are his sailing days done?

#103 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

^ and Joca is on board with SCA - future sailing role with a 2nd boat or are his sailing days done?

Atlant is only running the SCA boat this time around

#104 mikemt

mikemt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:38 AM

Groupama is officially out

http://www.volvoocea...14-15-Race.html

#105 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,331 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:51 PM

Interesting spin. Fewer boats = new champion :unsure:

#106 rockshandy

rockshandy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:22 PM

has anybody ever tried to defend their crown? ABN AMRO, Ericsson and now Groupama have opted against. Presumably Groupama's(lack of funds/decreasing sponsorship) reason is different to ABN's and Ericsson's(couldn't repeat what they achieved, both on the water and in terms of ROI).
That's the VO70 era, what about before that?

#107 Trovão

Trovão

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,237 posts
  • Interests:sailing (pretty obvious, uhmm)preferentially on boats with more than one hull ;D

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:42 PM

has anybody ever tried to defend their crown? ABN AMRO, Ericsson and now Groupama have opted against. Presumably Groupama's(lack of funds/decreasing sponsorship) reason is different to ABN's and Ericsson's(couldn't repeat what they achieved, both on the water and in terms of ROI).
That's the VO70 era, what about before that?

the only successful defender that i remember was the dutch sailor cornelis van rietschoten, who won the 77/78 and the 81/82 whitbread races.

#108 Francis Vaughan

Francis Vaughan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:04 PM

Draft Notice of Race has been released. Not a lot new, but a couple of interesting things.

Scoring remains the same as last race. Can't say I'm pleased with that.

Teams can add an additional crew member for in-port races. VOR decided that things would be too short-handed for round the cans racing with the more limited crew. They have also brought the all-female crew up to 11. That seems to have snuck past without much fanfare. (Mixed crew remains at 9, all male remains at 8). This may make a big difference for a boat with an all female crew.

An interesting bit is the restrictions on the MCM. The MCM much be approved by VOR, and must have attended a significant training component. Indeed, VOR will appoint the MCM, although teams can nominate their MCM for traiing. Otherwise VOR will provide the MCM. Further, the rules are restricting the role of the MCM on board. Last time the MCM was also cook and cleaner. Now the rules says that the MCM may be included in the roster for cooking and cleaning - but clearly imply that the MCM may not be the sole dogsbody. There seems to be an underlying attempt to get better quality media coverage out of the boats.

For me the most interesting bit of the notice of race it yet to be made available. The draft notes that the rule for the shared service boat yard will be made available in the next release of the notice of race in Q1 2013.

Also, one notes that Southern Spars have the contract for the entire rigging package. No real surprise here. They expect the first two packages to be ready in April But the shared services agreement above will include spare masts I assume, so I am very interested to see how rigging spares are handled.

#109 forss

forss

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

Any more gossip/rumors about future teams?

Found that Ukrainians want to participate.

http://ukrsailing.bl...ocean-race.html

google translate helps

#110 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

There is really no motivation for a team to declare early. I'd guess you won't see a lot of announcements until the end of 2013

#111 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,189 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

When is the first 65 ready? I'm sure it's been posted here before but....

#112 mikemt

mikemt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

this coming June

#113 forss

forss

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

Vsail have inside info about race course. Sounds great route for me.

"The Volvo Ocean Race will make an “important” announcement on Thursday afternoon. Our sources speculate it will be one of the 2014-15 stopovers. We have been also able to trace the most probable route.
The race will start, and that isn’t a surprise of course, in Alicante. The first stopover will most probably in Itajaí. It is our understanding the Brazilian port had a contract for two editions of the round-the-world race. From there the fleet will round the Cape of Good hope and head to Abu Dhabi. After they leave the capital of the United Arab Emirates, the VO65′s are expected to head to Hong Kong with a possible short stopover somewhere in India.
Hong Kong
isn’t a surprise either, since the Chinese authorities have shown a very keen interest in the race. Volvo Cars is also Chinese-owned and not visiting the world’s most populous country would be similar to going to your home town for holidays without paying a visit to your parents. The Volvo Ocean Race fleet will then sail towards Auckland for another very successful stopover before attacking the mighty southern Pacific, rounding Cape Horn and reaching Brazil for the second time. Our sources believe Rio de Janeiro is the perfect fit for the second stopover in the Latin American giant.
The absence of Cape Town in this edition of the race, speculated on financial reasons, and the addition of Rio de Janeiro are behind the decision to make Itajaí the first stop after Alicante.
According to various press reports, two US cities are vying for the North American stopover, Baltimore and Newport. Our sources believe that Newport is the favorite one. The fleet will then cross the Atlantic and land in Lorient, France. The 2014-15 Volvo Ocean Race will finish in Göteborg, Sweden and a second European stopover is expected in Rotterdama, fter the VO65′s sail off Lorient.
This route isn’t, obviously, the official one but it is based on very reliable information. There might be a couple of changes but they will not alter the route dramatically."
VSail.info@vsail
2014-15 Volvo Ocean Race: Alicante-Itajai-Abu Dhabi-(India)-Hong Kong-Auckland-Rio-Newport-Lorient-(Rotterdam)-Göteborg

http://www.vsail.inf...ean-race-route/

#114 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:29 AM

Host port committee is in the US this week. Suspect Pierre is right about some of the route being announced. Announcement at 1700 GMT. I'll post it when I get it

#115 forss

forss

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

SCA 70 footer training yacht, former Puma
http://volvo-production1.mueva.eu/en/news/6955_Team-SCA-cut-a-dash-in-magenta-and-navy-blue.html
Posted Image

#116 nroose

nroose

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

There is really no motivation for a team to declare early. I'd guess you won't see a lot of announcements until the end of 2013

Is there any indication that there are teams that are preparing? Sure announcing isn't necessary, but preparation is, no?

#117 frakulator

frakulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

Brazilian state of Pernambuco will enter a team into VOR 14-15

#118 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,541 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

http://sailinganarch...-vacation-over/

#119 2Newts

2Newts

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:27 PM

So the possibilities for teams at this point?

SCA - in
Pernambuco - in
Abu Dhabi - gotta be in, right?
Chinese - gotta be in, right?
ENTZ - I've seen statements that they're in but nothing official (also Clean's link says they're in)
Berg - "rumors" per Clean's link that they're in

So that's 6 possible/likely ones. Others that seem plausible:
Groupama - said yes before but have cut all sponsorships to the bone
Maserati - NY to SF seems like a logical warm up

What about any of these:
Camper
Banque Populaire
Alinghi

#120 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

Here's the official press release from VOR:

RECIFE, Brazil, 17 January 2013 - The Brazilian state of Pernambuco will enter a team in the next edition of the Volvo Ocean Race and its capital city of Recife will provide the first stopover along the route of the race, which starts in Alicante in the second half of 2014.

The Recife team becomes the second publicly announced team for the 12th edition of the Volvo Ocean Race, sailing's greatest offshore challenge, following the SCA all-women's team announced in last year.

Details about the team, including the identity of the skipper, will be announced in the coming weeks.

“Today’s announcement of the Pernambuco team and Recife stopover are fantastic news for the Race,” said Volvo Ocean Race CEO Knut Frostad. “I’m delighted to see the Race strengthen our ties with Brazil, Recife and Pernambuco in this way.

"Coming to Recife at the end of Leg 1 means there will be a lot of attention on this great city and having a Brazilian team in the Race will be fantastic for fans across the country."

The decision to make Leg 1 of the route from Alicante to Recife, capital of the Pernambuco state on the north east coast of Brazil, means sailing's great round-the-world challenge will be visiting Brazil in one of the biggest sporting years in the nation's history – just a few months after the country hosts the 2014 soccer World Cup.

Recife is one of the Host Cities for the World Cup, staging five matches. The Volvo Ocean Race will be in Recife in mid to late October, with dates to be confirmed next month.

"The arrival of the Volvo Ocean Race will help make the 'year of Recife' even more of a celebration," said Volvo Ocean Race COO Tom Touber, who announced the stopover in Recife on Thursday.

"Brazil is the capital of world sport with the World Cup coming up in 2014 and the Rio Olympics to follow in 2016 and it's a real thrill to be bringing the Race to a country with such passion for sport."

Recife, a city with more than five million inhabitants, boasts palm trees and year-round sunshine and is famous for the sandy, wide Boa Viagem beach. It was one of over 80 ports to express an interest in hosting the race when the bid process was launched in 2012. The deal announced on Thursday will see Recife host the race for the next two editions.

The last Brazilian team to enter the Volvo Ocean Race was Brasil 1 in 2005-06. Torben Grael was the skipper and Knut Frostad, now the Volvo Ocean Race's CEO, featured as a crew member on some of the legs. The Brazilian campaign proved to be a big success and generated great interest worldwide and in the media. Grael went on to win the Volvo Ocean Race as skipper of Ericsson 4 in 2008-09.

The Volvo Ocean Race´s links with Brazil date back to 1973, when the first edition of what was then known as the Whitbread Round the World Race stopped at Rio de Janeiro.

The Race also visited Rio in the second edition in 1977-78 and again in 2001-02, 2005-06 and 2008-09. In 1997-98 the Race stopped at São Sebastião and in the last edition in 2011-12, Itajaí was a Host Port.

The remainder of the route will be announced over the next few weeks, with final details, including dates of stopovers and distances to be sailed, coming by mid-February.

And a shameless plug for my quest to get in the race as an onboard reporter http://www.facebook....OnboardReporter

#121 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

SCA - in
Pernambuco - in
ENTZ - I've seen statements that they're in but nothing official (also Clean's link says they're in)

What about any of these:
Camper
Banque Populaire
Alinghi

Groupama and Cammas are doing the Tour la Voile, Little Americas Cup, and Franck's Olympic campaign. Count them out. Spain is on the hook for at least a team as part of their Alicante deal. Campos loves the one design and Fernando Echavarri is out sailing on MAPFRE. Could see them take over the title sponsor from Telefonica this time.

Soldini has said he's not into this VOR, Alinghi has always been an inshore team, and I think BP's IMOCA sponsorship runs through 2014, so expect them all as out.

One would expect CAMPER to play with TNZ again

#122 forss

forss

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

Banque Populaire also just bought Groupama 3 trimaran.
I guess they are not interested in Volvo.

Still lots of boats to build! I hope they manage to build these in time for every team.

#123 2Newts

2Newts

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

SCA - in
Pernambuco - in

What about any of these:
Camper
Banque Populaire
Alinghi

Groupama and Cammas are doing the Tour la Voile, Little Americas Cup, and Franck's Olympic campaign. Count them out. Spain is on the hook for at least a team as part of their Alicante deal. Campos loves the one design and Fernando Echavarri is out sailing on MAPFRE. Could see them take over the title sponsor from Telefonica this time.

Soldini has said he's not into this VOR, Alinghi has always been an inshore team, and I think BP's IMOCA sponsorship runs through 2014, so expect them all as out.

So that leaves:

SCA
Pernambuco/Recife
Abu Dhabi
China or Hong Kong
ENTZ/Camper
Berg with someone (possibly in conjunction with one of the above)
Mapfre or other from Spain

6 or 7 is a thin fleet imho. With the one-design, I think they were hoping to get to 10. As a fan I am hoping they get to 10. But it is hard to see where these teams come from. Maybe a second Brasilian city or company? Team Abril sounds cool.

As an aside, if Mapfre does come in, I wonder if they would insist on a US stopover in an area where they have a decent book of business .... like not in Newport.

#124 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

SCA - in
Pernambuco - in

What about any of these:
Camper
Banque Populaire
Alinghi

So that leaves:

SCA
Pernambuco/Recife
Abu Dhabi
China or Hong Kong
ENTZ/Camper
Berg with someone (possibly in conjunction with one of the above)

6 or 7 is a thin fleet imho. With the one-design, I think they were hoping to get to 10. As a fan I am hoping they get to 10. But it is hard to see where these teams come from. Maybe a second Brasilian city or company? Team Abril sounds cool.

As an aside, if Mapfre does come in, I wonder if they would insist on a US stopover in an area where they have a decent book of business .... like not in Newport.

MAPFRE has lots of offices in Massachusetts.....

VOR organizers have spent to build 8 boats. 10 would be a good problem to have, but would put pressure on the build schedule if they weren't queued up soon.

Good speculation from Clean on women for team SCA, but I know a few really good offshore women who didn't get an invite to train....

Could anyone other than the Graels be behind the Brazil team?

#125 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,331 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:04 PM

Mapfre's USA HQ is 1:15 from Newport....

#126 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,331 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:07 PM

And after last race when we really only had 5 boats a 7 or 8 boat race would be a huge improvement.

#127 winchfodder

winchfodder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:44 PM

No longer anything like the worlds greatest ocean race, just a rally to which ever port or sponsor pays up. Why Baltimore or any port would want to "bid" ???? ie pay for the privelege of hosting six (if they are lucky) boats is beyond me. As for the sailors, nothing like a round the world sailing challenge for the likes of Peter Blake, just a job.

Time for somebody to set up a true crewed round the world race, or just adopt the Global race in Class 40's.

#128 DtM

DtM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:50 AM

I am not sure that the crews would see it as a rally!!!!!

Still an incedibly hard race, just not the old race format. times change.

#129 Right Coast

Right Coast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:18 AM

Which part of the Baltimore/Annapolis stopover was dismal? Unless I was hallucinating both locations were packed, not to mention the SSA/EYC party and the several thousand boats on the water for the restart. In the two stopovers that preceded the 2005-2006 edition, the competitors that I spoke with seemed impressed and quite pleased with the turn out. Did I miss some post-mortem report that declared our stopover a failure?

#130 Trovão

Trovão

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,237 posts
  • Interests:sailing (pretty obvious, uhmm)preferentially on boats with more than one hull ;D

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

Could anyone other than the Graels be behind the Brazil team?

that's what i'm asking myself too.

#131 onimod

onimod

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:59 PM

^ interesting that Joca is signed with SCA and doesn't appear to be a part of the Brazilian effort..or is he?

#132 marmalade

marmalade

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:59 AM

UPDATE: High-powered lobbyist/consultant Rob Housman is part of the team behind the Baltimore bid, and he made sure we knew that their bid is very real and very advantageous to the VOR’s objectives. He points to their 350,000 numbers from the 2005 stopover – which we believe to be hopelessly inflated – and the 1M people that checked out the Sailabration Tall Ships event this past summer to show their ability to attract a big crowd. While Baltimore’s inner harbor is an awesome amphitheater and they certainly have put a lot of effort into showing that they can pull it off, we’d hate to see yet another US stopover swallowed up by yet another large American city that doesn’t give a crap.

The issue is less about whether Baltimore cares than if Baltimore can attract an audience. Corporate Sponsors are an integral part of races like this and they want to see strong attendance at stopovers. Like Baltimore or not, they have produced audiences for multple sailing events. The attendees cared - they made time in their schedule to attend these events and they spent money doing so.

Stopovers in large cities bring additional benefits to racing and their families including easy access airports, ample hotel rooms, etc.

#133 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,527 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:44 AM

UPDATE: High-powered lobbyist/consultant Rob Housman is part of the team behind the Baltimore bid, and he made sure we knew that their bid is very real and very advantageous to the VOR's objectives. He points to their 350,000 numbers from the 2005 stopover – which we believe to be hopelessly inflated – and the 1M people that checked out the Sailabration Tall Ships event this past summer to show their ability to attract a big crowd. While Baltimore's inner harbor is an awesome amphitheater and they certainly have put a lot of effort into showing that they can pull it off, we'd hate to see yet another US stopover swallowed up by yet another large American city that doesn't give a crap.

The issue is less about whether Baltimore cares than if Baltimore can attract an audience. Corporate Sponsors are an integral part of races like this and they want to see strong attendance at stopovers. Like Baltimore or not, they have produced audiences for multple sailing events. The attendees cared - they made time in their schedule to attend these events and they spent money doing so.

Stopovers in large cities bring additional benefits to racing and their families including easy access airports, ample hotel rooms, etc.

I was in attendence for the stops by the VOR into my neck of the woods, and I remember a bunch of other folk coming out to see the goings on as well. Come back to Naptown, VOR. We give a shit.

WetHog :ph34r:

#134 Alpina

Alpina

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:53 AM

SCA - in
Pernambuco - in

What about any of these:
Camper
Banque Populaire
Alinghi

ETNZ = Camper.

#135 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,541 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:01 AM

I know a few really good offshore women who didn't get an invite to train....

With the number of great women beating down the door, the invite list was slim.

#136 Trovão

Trovão

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,237 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

^ interesting that Joca is signed with SCA and doesn't appear to be a part of the Brazilian effort..or is he?

not that i know of.

#137 IBro

IBro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

1st stop Recife - Brazil
http://www.volvoocea...Ocean-Race.html

That will be 3rd time in the history of the race that Cape Town is not 1st stop (Withbread 89/90 an 93/93 1st stop was Punta del Este - Uruguay).

Rest of the route will be known by mid Feb

cheers

#138 onimod

onimod

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

Mapfre have just posted a picture of a VOR70 in their colours on Facebook, can't read Spanish so not a clue what it says with it!

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/news/6947_Gold-medallist-on-board-for-MAPFRE-record-bid.html

#139 moody frog

moody frog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

SCA - in
Pernambuco - in

What about any of these:
Camper
Banque Populaire
Alinghi

Alinghi:

VSail.info@vsail
So, it appears the UBS board is seriously examining sponsoring a two-boat, two-edition Volvo Ocean Race entry for Alinghi. Will they do it?

More about budget !!!

https://twitter.com/...302039704895488

#140 2Newts

2Newts

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

ETNZ = Camper.

Sorry, yes, am aware. Was asking in poor shorthanded way if there was a possibility for Camper to mount a campaign on their own, thus expanding the possible number of entries.

Alinghi:

VSail.info@vsail
So, it appears the UBS board is seriously examining sponsoring a two-boat, two-edition Volvo Ocean Race entry for Alinghi. Will they do it?

More about budget !!!

That would be great to have Alinghi in, and UBS backing would make sense from a few perspectives (both Swiss; UBS likes to support supposedly "high-end" sports; theres no other financial institution involved in the race as of now; Alinghi might be feeling the need to do more stuff since they are out of the AC; etc).

Besides VSail's own tentativeness in the twitter posts, the one other thing that makes me skeptical is the implication of the tough capital requirements for Swiss banks. I'm not an expert in capital requirements but my armchair understanding is that if they spend €100mm in marketing, they lose the ability to invest €500mm in their front line businesses.

That said, I have my fingers crossed that they come in.

This news takes us to the possible roster of:

SCA
Pernambuco/Recife
Abu Dhabi
China or Hong Kong
ENTZ/Camper
Berg with someone (possibly in conjunction with one of others on this list)
UBS/Alinghi

2N

#141 frakulator

frakulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

What the latest from the All American Ocean Racing guys? They've been digging for sponsors to be the first under 30 team in 2014-15.

http://www.allamericanoceanracing.org/

#142 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

Next port to be announced Tuesday 1200 GMT

#143 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

Brazil Squared.

]Itajaí, in the state of Santa Catarina, staged a memorable stopover in the 2011-12 edition with huge crowds packing the Race Village throughout and the port’s return to the route means the south of Brazil is joining the north east in the race.
A boat backed by the state of Pernambuco was also confirmed at last week’s announcement which will ensure a distinct Brazilian flavour for the race's 12th edition in 2014-15 at a time when the focus of world sport will be on the country.

"Making two stops in Brazil makes perfect sense at a time when the country will be the beating heart of sport between soccer's World Cup in 2014 and the Rio Olympic Games in 2016," said Volvo Ocean Race CEO Knut Frostad.

"We are thrilled to be going back to Itajaí which proved to be one of the most successful stopovers of the last edition with a rhythm all of its own.

'We had huge numbers of fans in attendance on all the key dates and with the support of the city and the region we're looking forward to breaking those records next time."

Once again, Itajaí will provide the long awaited finish line for the teams following their rounding of the iconic Cape Horn in the Southern Ocean.

"The leg through the Southern Ocean, around Cape Horn and on to Brazil was an instant classic in the last edition," said Tom Touber, the Volvo Ocean Race COO who made the announcement at the Castelo Montemar in Itajaí on Tuesday.

"Going twice now to the vast, diverse and sports-mad country of Brazil is a privilege for us."

Itajaí Mayor Jandir Bellini joined Paulo Roberto Bornhausen, State Secretary for Sustainable Economic Development, and other dignitaries at the announcement.

"Hosting the Volvo Ocean Race once again is proof that Itajaí is capable of staging the biggest events in the world," said Mayor Bellini. "It is our goal to confirm Itajaí as a national capital of sailing."

Exact dates of the stopover will be announced in February.

The remainder of the route for the 12th edition of the Volvo Ocean race will be revealed over the coming weeks.[/size]

#144 forss

forss

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

It is Itajai!
Posted Image

#145 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,541 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

so far my sources are holding better than Pierre's...

#146 elby

elby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

The Dutch want to be in...: https://www.facebook.../SailingHolland (sorry for the facebook stuff...)

from their facebook site (yes, in dutch... it's their 'who are we' story.):

Wie zijn wij?

maandag 19 november 2012

Sailing Holland is een initiatief van:

Crew:
  • Bouwe Bekking (6 Volvo Ocean Races, 4 times World Champion, 3 times European Champion)
  • Gerd Jan Poortman
  • - Overigen (nog in te vullen)

Organisatie:
Gideon Messink (PR Sailing)
Anita van Oeveren (PR Sailing)
Maarten Verkoren (Audiences Now)

#147 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

Lifted from http://www.yachtandc...ocean-race-bid/

Efforts are underway in the most successful Volvo Ocean Race nation to scrape together €16 million and enter a Dutch boat in the round-the-world’s 2014-15 edition. One party at work is the Team Heiner sailing events organization. “We are having national and international conversations but as yet nothing firm to report,” Team Heiner spokeswoman Helga Oosterkamp tells Zeilen Magazine. Putting a big shoulder to the wheel are VOR veterans Gerd-Jan Poortman and Bouwe Bekking. Their Sailing Holland initiative on Facebook says the VOR is getting more exciting. Starting in 2014, it will feature one-design yachts which puts pressure on crews to make a difference. “Our race has begun,” says the Facebook posting.

Bekking and Poortman need €16 million to end that 5-yr. drought of a VOR without a Dutch flagged racer.

Yacht and Coast caught up with Bouwe Bekking and Gerd-Jan Poortman.

Posted Image

Q _ Dutch participation in VOR seems a natural. It has been a while. Why?

A _ Bekking (left): “We were not in the VOR2011-12 on account of the economy. And the great costs of the last campaigns. We looked for sponsors (for the last race). Our aim was to win (but) a low-cost campaign was not an option. It would have meant giving up on our competitive goals.”

Q – The VOR has moved to a one-design to cut costs. Was that a key factor to you?

A _ Poortman: “We’re always looking to participate. This is the biggest ocean race in the world. Had the Volvo organization not changed the rules, we would still been looking for funds. But, yes, the one-design is a great incentive! It has created a level playing field. It has halved the budget needed to win the VOR. That opens doors. Still, it’s still a lot of money! But a company can spread the costs across 3 fiscal years. That’s very appealing. In the last 3 years media exposure realized a return on investment of 200 to 300% per entry, not counting the B-2-B activities. For some companies, the latter is worth more than the media return. The one-design has bought us time. There are other little changes that make the race more interesting for potential sponsors (see article below). All this lets us tell a new story. Companies we contacted in the past are listening to us again.”

Q – By when do you need to see significant corporate interest for your bid to succeed?

A _ Bekking: “Our deadline is toward the end of 2013. But, of course, the faster we have some money the sooner we can start preparing.”

Q – Is that not too late to get a one-design and start training?

Posted Image

A – Poortman (right): “We have the people and structure to start our preparations tomorrow. So having the funds by the end of 2013 will be OK. 8 boats are now being built. As long as there are not more than 8 teams, we should get a boat fairly quickly. Construction time is 6-to-8 weeks, which is relatively fast. When there are more teams, it will be a bit later.

Q: And the participation costs?

A – Bekking: “For a serious campaign, these run to about €16 million, excluding the resell value of the boat which will be about 3 million. There will be 2 VORs with the same one-design yachts.”

Q _ Will you be the skipper?

A – Bekking: “The plan is for me to skipper the boat and run the sporting side of the project. Our aim is to have a winning entry under a Dutch flag again. We have lots of very talented sailors in the Netherlands. But we will also look abroad for the right persons for specific tasks. The team that will race the boat will be the strongest we can find. So there is not much room for pre-assigned spots.”

Q _ What do Dutch sailors bring to a VOR?

A _ Bekking: “Dutch teams and sailors are generally known for good organizational skills. And a results-driven approach in running successful projects within budget. As to sailing, we are known to be very good in strong winds. And keeping difficult situations under control.”

The Dutch had 2 boats in the VOR2005-06 (including winner ABN AMRO1) and one in the VOR2008-09. Going back to the Whitbread Round The World _ the VOR’s distinguished forerunner of the 1970s and 1980s, Dutch boats have won the grueling round the world a record 3 times.

Bekking has done half a dozen VORs. In 2005, Gerd-Jan Poortman has sailed on a Team Delta Lloyd VOR entry. The VOR is downsizing to escape the elitist trap of the America’s Cup that soaks participants to the tune of €60 to 70 million. The VOR hopes to curb costs through a one-design 65-ft yacht. Eight _ designed by Farr Yachts Design of the US _ are being built by a consortium of yards in Britain, France, Italy and Switzerland for the next 2 VORs. The one-design means participants will no longer spend fortunes on design and technologies. A ready-to-roar VOR-65 will cost €4.5 million and carry a crew of 8 (10 if it’s an all-women boat).

Posted Image

The VOR2014-15 Notice of Race underlines a commitment to open the race to more comers. It includes the following conditions:

– Each team will be able to name 1 extra crew member for the in-port races, subject to certain restrictions

– The standard crew size will be 8 plus 1 non-sailing multimedia reporter

– Mixed teams (with no more than five male sailors) will be able to race with 9 plus 1 non-sailing multimedia reporter

– All women’s teams will be able to race with 11 sailors plus 1 non-sailing multimedia reporter

– Each team will again have to race with 2 Under-30s crew members at all times

– There will be a new, fully competitive warm-up race, which carries no race points but must be contested by full racing crews

http://noticeboard.volvooceanrace.com/

http://www.volvooceanrace.com

www.bouwebekking.com

www.poortmansailing.nl

#148 elby

elby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

Lifted from http://www.yachtandc...ocean-race-bid/

Efforts are underway in the most successful Volvo Ocean Race nation to scrape together €16 million and enter a Dutch boat in the round-the-world’s 2014-15 edition. One party at work is the Team Heiner sailing events organization. “We are having national and international conversations but as yet nothing firm to report,” Team Heiner spokeswoman Helga Oosterkamp tells Zeilen Magazine. Putting a big shoulder to the wheel are VOR veterans Gerd-Jan Poortman and Bouwe Bekking. Their Sailing Holland initiative on Facebook says the VOR is getting more exciting. Starting in 2014, it will feature one-design yachts which puts pressure on crews to make a difference. “Our race has begun,” says the Facebook posting.

Bekking and Poortman need €16 million to end that 5-yr. drought of a VOR without a Dutch flagged racer.

Yacht and Coast caught up with Bouwe Bekking and Gerd-Jan Poortman.

Posted Image

Q _ Dutch participation in VOR seems a natural. It has been a while. Why?

A _ Bekking (left): “We were not in the VOR2011-12 on account of the economy. And the great costs of the last campaigns. We looked for sponsors (for the last race). Our aim was to win (but) a low-cost campaign was not an option. It would have meant giving up on our competitive goals.”

Q – The VOR has moved to a one-design to cut costs. Was that a key factor to you?

A _ Poortman: “We’re always looking to participate. This is the biggest ocean race in the world. Had the Volvo organization not changed the rules, we would still been looking for funds. But, yes, the one-design is a great incentive! It has created a level playing field. It has halved the budget needed to win the VOR. That opens doors. Still, it’s still a lot of money! But a company can spread the costs across 3 fiscal years. That’s very appealing. In the last 3 years media exposure realized a return on investment of 200 to 300% per entry, not counting the B-2-B activities. For some companies, the latter is worth more than the media return. The one-design has bought us time. There are other little changes that make the race more interesting for potential sponsors (see article below). All this lets us tell a new story. Companies we contacted in the past are listening to us again.”

Q – By when do you need to see significant corporate interest for your bid to succeed?

A _ Bekking: “Our deadline is toward the end of 2013. But, of course, the faster we have some money the sooner we can start preparing.”

Q – Is that not too late to get a one-design and start training?

Posted Image

A – Poortman (right): “We have the people and structure to start our preparations tomorrow. So having the funds by the end of 2013 will be OK. 8 boats are now being built. As long as there are not more than 8 teams, we should get a boat fairly quickly. Construction time is 6-to-8 weeks, which is relatively fast. When there are more teams, it will be a bit later.

Q: And the participation costs?

A – Bekking: “For a serious campaign, these run to about €16 million, excluding the resell value of the boat which will be about 3 million. There will be 2 VORs with the same one-design yachts.”

Q _ Will you be the skipper?

A – Bekking: “The plan is for me to skipper the boat and run the sporting side of the project. Our aim is to have a winning entry under a Dutch flag again. We have lots of very talented sailors in the Netherlands. But we will also look abroad for the right persons for specific tasks. The team that will race the boat will be the strongest we can find. So there is not much room for pre-assigned spots.”

Q _ What do Dutch sailors bring to a VOR?

A _ Bekking: “Dutch teams and sailors are generally known for good organizational skills. And a results-driven approach in running successful projects within budget. As to sailing, we are known to be very good in strong winds. And keeping difficult situations under control.”

The Dutch had 2 boats in the VOR2005-06 (including winner ABN AMRO1) and one in the VOR2008-09. Going back to the Whitbread Round The World _ the VOR’s distinguished forerunner of the 1970s and 1980s, Dutch boats have won the grueling round the world a record 3 times.

Bekking has done half a dozen VORs. In 2005, Gerd-Jan Poortman has sailed on a Team Delta Lloyd VOR entry. The VOR is downsizing to escape the elitist trap of the America’s Cup that soaks participants to the tune of €60 to 70 million. The VOR hopes to curb costs through a one-design 65-ft yacht. Eight _ designed by Farr Yachts Design of the US _ are being built by a consortium of yards in Britain, France, Italy and Switzerland for the next 2 VORs. The one-design means participants will no longer spend fortunes on design and technologies. A ready-to-roar VOR-65 will cost €4.5 million and carry a crew of 8 (10 if it’s an all-women boat).

Posted Image

The VOR2014-15 Notice of Race underlines a commitment to open the race to more comers. It includes the following conditions:

– Each team will be able to name 1 extra crew member for the in-port races, subject to certain restrictions

– The standard crew size will be 8 plus 1 non-sailing multimedia reporter

– Mixed teams (with no more than five male sailors) will be able to race with 9 plus 1 non-sailing multimedia reporter

– All women’s teams will be able to race with 11 sailors plus 1 non-sailing multimedia reporter

– Each team will again have to race with 2 Under-30s crew members at all times

– There will be a new, fully competitive warm-up race, which carries no race points but must be contested by full racing crews

http://noticeboard.volvooceanrace.com/

http://www.volvooceanrace.com

www.bouwebekking.com

www.poortmansailing.nl

thanks! (guess it was no news anymore, but still... i'm dutch and hope that they will compete!)

#149 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

Bouwe is such a great competitor and a huge asset to the VOR. I really missed how presence and "tell it like it is" attitude in the last race. I hope they make it

#150 rockshandy

rockshandy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:53 AM

dont know if Puma were expected to enter the next edition of the race or not, but today they announced their withdrawal from the Irish rugby set up, Irish times said

“It was an international decision to pull out of all rugby sponsorship in Europe,” said Puma spokesman Seán Kavanagh. “We are focusing on three pillars of the business: football, lifestyle and running."

i would have thought that rugby has a bigger global audience than the VOR, but thats just a guess. Also if they are to focus on football, lifestyle and running it kind of rules out boating.

http://www.irishtime...4329251400.html

#151 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

dont know if Puma were expected to enter the next edition of the race or not, but today they announced their withdrawal from the Irish rugby set up, Irish times said

“It was an international decision to pull out of all rugby sponsorship in Europe,” said Puma spokesman Seán Kavanagh. “We are focusing on three pillars of the business: football, lifestyle and running."

i would have thought that rugby has a bigger global audience than the VOR, but thats just a guess. Also if they are to focus on football, lifestyle and running it kind of rules out boating.

http://www.irishtime...4329251400.html

Puma is a technical sponsor for Oracle Racing in AC 34. No VOR this time

#152 mikemt

mikemt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

new announcement this evening in Europe, at 21:30 GMT. Considering the funny time it could involve Auckland???

#153 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

new announcement this evening in Europe, at 21:30 GMT. Considering the funny time it could involve Auckland???

Or Hong Kong, or Abu Dhabi.........

#154 mikemt

mikemt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

those would be sleeping. Either Oceania or North America...

#155 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,331 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

Mapfre doing what seems to be a pretty rigorous training session with the old telefonica. What are the chances that we're going to see them as the host team for Alicante?

#156 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,331 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:58 PM

And a SCA-cast video detailing the handover and rebranding of Mar Mostro. Gotta say it seems a shame to do away with the sea monster paintjob which was such a work of art but surely the ladies will rock the pink.

#157 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:20 PM

Hot off the VOR Press:

Auckland returns for double dose of Volvo Ocean Race

Auckland - The city of Auckland in New Zealand will again play host to sailing's greatest adventure after winning selection as a Host Port in the Volvo Ocean Race for both the 12th edition in 2014-15 and the 13th.

Auckland, a world renowned sailing capital, returned to the race route for the first time in 10 years in 2011-12 and staged a spectacular stopover at Auckland Viaduct, with spectators packing the Race Village and the Waitemata Harbour.

Widely reported results from Google showed Volvo Ocean Race was the second most searched term in New Zealand in 2012, demonstrating just how the event caught the imagination of the people.

Once again, the 2014-15 route will see Auckland play host to the start of the main Southern Ocean leg, sending the teams on their way around Cape Horn and on to the leg finish in Itajaí in Brazil. The dates of the stopover will be revealed next month.

"Sailing into Auckland after a 10-year gap felt like the race was coming home," said Volvo Ocean Race CEO Knut Frostad. "Tens of thousands of passionate fans packed the Race Village each day, and the crowds for all the arrivals plus the In-Port Race and Leg Start were among the best we've ever had.

"Auckland people know sailing and know the race. As soon as we arrived it was clear that we'd been away from this stunning city too long and it's hugely satisfying to be able to say that we're coming back straight away this time. Having an agreement in place for the next two editions is just the icing on the cake."

This will be the ninth time the race has stopped at Auckland, which is known as the City of Sails for its affinity with the sea.

Auckland Mayor Len Brown said: “This is an exciting win for Auckland. New Zealand’s fabled sailing heritage, and the affinity Aucklanders have with the sea which surrounds us, makes this city the perfect Volvo Ocean Race destination.

“My goal is for Auckland to become the world’s most liveable city. A key component of us meeting that goal, and delivering on our ambitious economic transformation objectives, is to play host to major events such as the next two Volvo Ocean Races.”

Auckland is the fourth Host Port for 2014-15 announced so far, following the start point of Alicante and the two Brazilian ports of Recife and Itajaí. The rest of the route for 2014-15 will be revealed over the coming weeks.

#158 CharlieBurton

CharlieBurton

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:Sailing.

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

The SCA guys have definitely got a good looking boat there! You sure won't miss it on the water!

#159 zlobko

zlobko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

It seems to me these OD boats will not stay on the shed between the next 2 VOR editions - most likely will find good post race opportunities to continue advertising (and traning), not only big sailing events all over EU, but also their own event ?

#160 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

The SCA guys have definitely got a good looking boat there! You sure won't miss it on the water!

Can we just start voting this for the SCA theme song now?

#161 CharlieBurton

CharlieBurton

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:Sailing.

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

Can we just start voting this for the SCA theme song now?

Definitely!

#162 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

Next port announcement Friday 2-1 at 0900 GMT

#163 mikemt

mikemt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

Abu Dhabi??

#164 IBro

IBro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:37 PM

Gothenburg, Sweden. Last stop.

#165 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

The Press Release:

1 February 2013
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Gothenburg to stage Volvo Ocean Race finale in 2015

Gothenburg, Friday 1 February 2013 - The Swedish city of Gothenburg will be the final stop on the route for the 12th edition of the Volvo Ocean Race in 2014-15 and will also feature in the 13th edition under a two-race deal presented on Friday.

Gothenburg is Sweden's second largest city, Scandinavia's largest port and has a well earned reputation for hosting major sporting events. 2014-15 will be the third time Gothenburg has hosted the Volvo Ocean Race and the second time it has staged the finale, following the success of 2005-06, when ABN AMRO ONE sailed into the port as overall race winners.

"Gothenburg is the perfect place to finish a global event of this stature," said Volvo Ocean Race CEO Knut Frostad. "It's great to know that after sailing tens of thousands of miles around the world we'll be coming to a Host Port with all the facilities and knowhow to make this a great event, and the history to make it feel like a real homecoming.

"We are looking forward to working closely with Gothenburg to make this the best finish we've ever had."

Gothenburg, the headquarters of event owners Volvo, hosted the Volvo Ocean Race in 2001-02 and again in 2005-06 and has also staged the World and European Athletics Championships (1995 and 2006, respectively), as well as the World Figure Skating Championships (2008) and the final of the European Soccer Championship in 1992 among major events. The European Indoor Athletics Championships take place in the city in March 2013.

"The stopovers we've had in Gothenburg have always been amazing," said Frostad, who announced the two-race agreement alongside the Mayor of Gothenburg, Anneli Hulthén and the CEO of Gothenburg & Co, Camilla Nyman at the Gothenburg Boat Show on Friday. "I particularly remember 2002 when there were so many people out there you could walk on the water from boat to boat."

“Volvo Ocean Race is a world-class event and the city of Gothenburg will now strengthen its position as one of the leading event cities in northern Europe”, says Anneli Hulthén, Mayor of Gothenburg.

The city of Gothenburg on the west coast of Sweden is the fifth Host Port on the 2014-15 route to be revealed so far. The 12th edition of an event that began life in 1973 as the Whitbread Round the World Race will start from Alicante in Spain and call first at Recife in north east Brazil. Later in the race, the teams will visit Auckland in New Zealand before rounding Cape Horn for a second Brazilian stop in Itajaí.

Further port announcements will be made over the coming weeks.

Sweden in the Volvo Ocean Race

Sweden has a proud history in the Volvo Ocean Race, with Gothenburg, Marstrand and Stockholm all having staged the race and two boats – EF Language in 1998 and Ericsson 4 in 2009 – having won under a Swedish flag. Magnus Olsson, a race legend, is one of several sailors to have competed in six editions of the race.

The all-female Team SCA, backed by the Sweden-based global hygiene and forest products company, were the first team to announce an entry for the 2014-15 race, which will be contested by new One Design Volvo Ocean 65 boats. A second team backed by the Brazilian state of Pernambuco was announced last month.

#166 AndreasE_NO

AndreasE_NO

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:06 PM

First 7 candidates training with SCA. They are part of the transport crew togeter with Mange and 5 others

Annie Lush, Carolijin Brouwer, Jeanne Gregoire, Klaartje Zuiderbaan, Liz Wardley, SAM DAVIES, Stacey Jackson

#167 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,527 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:12 PM

@SailingWorldMag: Team building for the ladies of the VOR. Getting it done. Also, a US stopover announcement is coming up. Who gets... http://t.co/gMGSuIJp

WetHog

#168 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

Latest from team SCA, including the list of girls in Round 1. A new port will also be announced later today

Team SCA begins selecting best ever all-female crew

SCAs quest to put together the best all-female team for the Volvo Ocean Race 2014-2015 begins this weekend. The first tranche of international female candidates depart Southampton for a five-day sea trial to the Team SCA training camp at Puerto Calero in Lanzarote, Spain.

Posted Image
From left to right: Liz Wardley (AUS), Annie Lush (GBR) och Stacey Jackson (AUS)

“We started our mission to put together the best female team in August last year. A worldwide call went out to women in sailing to encourage them to sign up to take part in this first-stage selection process. Of the hundreds of applications that we have received, we whittled this down to two initial groups of crew candidates,” comments Richard Brisius, Managing Director of Team SCA.

“The crew candidates are of different nationalities. We have set out to work with the world’s best female offshore sailors and create a strong group of women that also has the ability to work well together as a high-performing team.”

Preparations is key

The first group of seven candidates arrived in Southampton earlier this week and have been preparing the team’s newly branded Team SCA Volvo 70, which will be used as the team’s training boat until August this year.

The selection of Puerto Calero as the team’s base continues the recent tradition for Volvo Ocean Race teams where the facilities on land as well as the climate make it an ideal training venue. Once there the initial group will continue the selection process before being joined by a second group of crew candidates later in the month.

“It would be fantastic if we could find our team from these two groups,” comments Magnus Olsson, one of the Team SCA coaches, who himself has competed in the race six times. “They are a remarkable group of women and each brings a very high level of skill sets to a potential team. Our job as coaches is to see how we can use this to best create a high performing, competitive team. But this process is very much a ‘two-way street’, so it is as much about these sailors ensuring that they like what they see, as us selecting the basis of our team. Our aim is to have most of the crew in place during the summer of 2013.”

Few female sailors

In terms of the Volvo Ocean Race creating an all-female team is not an easy task, as one has to go back to 2005 to see a female sailor in this event (Adrienne Cahalan). But a lot has changed since then from a technology perspective, and women’s sailing has definitely been making its own mark in single handed offshore, the Olympics, match racing, Class 40 and Figaro, to name a few.

Team SCA’s crew trial candidates, group one of two:

• Annie Lush (GBR)
  • Carolijn Brouwer (NED)
  • Jeanne Gregoire (FRA)
  • Klaartje Zuiderbaan (NED)
  • Liz Wardley (AUS)
  • Sam Davies (GBR)
  • Stacey Jackson (AUS)

#169 2Newts

2Newts

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

SCA - in
Pernambuco - in

What about any of these:
Camper
Banque Populaire
Alinghi

Alinghi:

VSail.info@vsail

More about budget !!!

It looks like Alinghi IS IN with two boats ... so indicates Pierre:

http://bit.ly/VQOtnL

"SCA gets 1st VO65 boat, Recife 2nd, Abu Dhabi 3rd and Alinghi 4th & 5th? We'll know in a couple of weeks..." via twitter @vsail

Which takes us to a possible roster of:

SCA
Pernambuco/Recife
Abu Dhabi
China or Hong Kong
ENTZ/Camper
Berg with someone (possibly in conjunction with one of others on this list)
UBS/Alinghi #1
UBS/Alinghi #2
Someone from Holland

Looks like we *might* get to 10...

2N

#170 Heriberto

Heriberto

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts
  • Interests:Mount Gay Sugarcane

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:12 PM

Last race they refused to allow Ericsson a two boat program. Something about budgets and arms races.

#171 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,331 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

Al-dinghy in the VOR. Now I've seen everything...

#172 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:27 PM

Last race they refused to allow Ericsson a two boat program. Something about budgets and arms races.

2 boat teams weren't banned, but sailing days were limited. Ericsson chose instead to be a technical partner to the race for internal reasons, not by being refused entry. As much as I'd love to see Ernesto in the VOR since he's good for the sport, I don't see where this fits into the overall Alinghi program

#173 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,541 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:14 AM

pretty far limb for pierre to go out on; he's usually pretty close and has lots of swiss and VLC sources too; would only expect to see ETNZ if they can enter two boats or if no one can.

#174 winchfodder

winchfodder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

Alinghi:

VSail.info@vsail

More about budget !!!

UBS should take a look at Puma accounts first to see benefits of sailing sponsorship.

Frankfurt - Germany's Puma is to stop sponsoring sailing, including teams in the Americas Cup and the Volvo Ocean races, as part of efforts to focus on sports and products that bring in the most money.
Puma, which on Thursday reported 2012 profit down 70 percent, is going through its biggest reorganisation in 20 years to counter falling profits

http://www.iol.co.za...42#.URzNbfIcuAk

#175 mikemt

mikemt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:20 AM

Abu Dhabi confirmed with stop & boat

http://www.volvoocea...d-stopover.html

#176 schakel

schakel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

2 nd of March mentioned by Vsail on twitter as the Date Alinghi officially announces an entry for the VOR 2014/2015.

Vsail is questioning on twitter who the skipper will be.
Frank Gammas from Groupama perhaps?
Francois Gabart?

https://twitter.com/...463358236073984

#177 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,072 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/news/6994_Abu-Dhabi-back-in-the-race-with-team-and-stopover.html

Same skipper, wonder if it'll be the same/similar crew line up?

#178 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,541 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

I'd expect Rob G to be back if he can't get his own team together.

#179 winchfodder

winchfodder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:11 PM

http://www.volvoocea...d-stopover.html

Same skipper, wonder if it'll be the same/similar crew line up?

Don't you love it. Most expensive flop in the Volvo and they do it all over again!!

And now Lisbon are voting whether to spend 4 million euros to be a host port. That will be EEC money then, would not want to ask the out of work Portugese citizens what they want the monies to be spent on!

http://theportugalnews.com/news/lisbon-set-to-decide-on-volvo-ocean-race-participation/27783
Lisbon set to decide on Volvo Ocean Race participation

Lisbon city hall is to vote Tuesday on the city’s participation in the next two editions of the Volvo Ocean Race, one of the biggest five sports events in the world.

The vote will be on whether the capital should spend €4 million on the 2014-15 and 2017-18 races.

According to a study by PricewaterhouseCoopers the 2012 edition in Lisbon had an economic impact of around €30 million, over half of which was a direct impact.

The study also said over 200,000 visitors came to Lisbon for the race.

Despite the cost, Mayor António Cost said the two races should come to Lisbon and wanted the race to start from the Portuguese capital.

#180 forss

forss

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:49 PM

State of affairs 18 months before the start

great article from vsail.

brad butterworth is named alinghi's skipper

and 10 possible teams.

hope they all make. 10 boats on start line would be great and then we will see new pro sailors.

#181 Mexican

Mexican

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:03 PM

UBS should take a look at Puma accounts first to see benefits of sailing sponsorship.

Frankfurt - Germany's Puma is to stop sponsoring sailing, including teams in the Americas Cup and the Volvo Ocean races, as part of efforts to focus on sports and products that bring in the most money.
Puma, which on Thursday reported 2012 profit down 70 percent, is going through its biggest reorganisation in 20 years to counter falling profits

Puma has pulled out of the sailing market as a producer of apparel, shoes, gear, etc, not just out of sailing sponsorship. They couldn't make in-roads into the market dominated by Musto, Henri-Lloyd, Gill, Slam, etc.

Once they decided to withdraw from the market, the decision to drop their sponsorship of sailing teams was an obvious one.

Mex

#182 nroose

nroose

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:21 AM

10 would be fantastic. Based on that article, though, I think they will be lucky to get 8, and probably more likely will get 5 or 6.

#183 oioi

oioi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:55 AM

10 would be fantastic. Based on that article, though, I think they will be lucky to get 8, and probably more likely will get 5 or 6.

i agree, lots of intagibles and rumours with little hard concrete evidence. although there does seem to be some serious early commitment and it looks like there will at least be a race.

#184 williwaw

williwaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:42 AM

Puma has pulled out of the sailing market as a producer of apparel, shoes, gear, etc, not just out of sailing sponsorship. They couldn't make in-roads into the market dominated by Musto, Henri-Lloyd, Gill, Slam, etc.

Once they decided to withdraw from the market, the decision to drop their sponsorship of sailing teams was an obvious one.

Mex

Thats not strange if you see with what apparel they came up with. Way to expensive and bad looking.Posted Image

#185 Spargo

Spargo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Women, Whiskey & Wine.

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:56 AM

ETNZ / Camper still undecided? Could be dependent on them winning the AC?

#186 DtM

DtM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:37 AM

I think just waiting rather than undecided.

Auckland is a stopover.

No rush, plenty of great crew in the programme.

Having the OD boat is not that important just yet because no real training needed.

#187 nroose

nroose

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:37 AM

ETNZ / Camper still undecided? Could be dependent on them winning the AC?

Hmm. Seems like Dalts would want more time to prepare than that.

#188 Spargo

Spargo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:41 AM

Agreed, but seems odd there hasn't been peep from the team.

#189 umpire

umpire

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:13 AM

From another thread

Calm 2 is the TP with CAMPER on its main. The owner currently does own the 70 however as par agrement the 70 is to be used for ENTNZ's training boat until they get their VO65

#190 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,541 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:52 PM

portugal voted yesterday. Lisbon confirmed stopover for next two editions.

#191 Spargo

Spargo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

From another thread

Calm 2 is the TP with CAMPER on its main. The owner currently does own the 70 however as par agrement the 70 is to be used for ENTNZ's training boat until they get their VO65

Wait, what?

That makes no sense: ETNZ/Camper sell their own VOR70, which never came back to antipodean waters under their stewardship, she gets sold to an Aussie owner and gets "leased back" to ETNZ/Camper so they can use their own boat as a trainer... Lol wut? Why on earth would they do that? The only reason they would is to guarantee a buyer in the first place so they're not stuck with an old generation boat... Actually it's starting to make sense. The figures must work out. Heh.

#192 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:12 PM

portugal voted yesterday. Lisbon confirmed stopover for next two editions.

Hope they can find a way to move the stopover closer to the city. Location was horrible from a visitor perspective last time

#193 Ryley

Ryley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,046 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Photography, Sailing, Mountain Biking.. did I mention sailing?

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

and 10 possible teams.

hope they all make. 10 boats on start line would be great and then we will see new pro sailors.

And not one american team even proposed. Travesty.

#194 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

and 10 possible teams.

The All American Offshore team is trying to secure sponsorship

#195 umpire

umpire

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

From another thread

Wait, what?

That makes no sense: ETNZ/Camper sell their own VOR70, which never came back to antipodean waters under their stewardship, she gets sold to an Aussie owner and gets "leased back" to ETNZ/Camper so they can use their own boat as a trainer... Lol wut? Why on earth would they do that? The only reason they would is to guarantee a buyer in the first place so they're not stuck with an old generation boat... Actually it's starting to make sense. The figures must work out. Heh.

Exactly take the money and keep the boat until you get anew one, perfect!

#196 2Newts

2Newts

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

and 10 possible teams.

An American team is one thing.
Several American sailors is even more likely.

But I can't think of a single American company with both the dollars and will to back a team.
Banks? They'd get pilloried for taking public dollars and supporting an "elitist" sport with them
Autos? Ditto, except for Ford who as far as I know has never sponsored sailing
Beer? The big companies like sports with broader appeal; the small brands are too small
Cellular? I don't see it.

And so it goes.

I think there are several reasons that US companies not owned by Larry Ellison won't back sailing but the one reason (warning, rant of the day) that we tend to forget about is that most advertising and sponsorship dollars are controlled by narrow-minded madison avenue "professionals" who are frequently quite junior and have no interest at all in taking a risk. These people would not know a good idea if it hit them in their well dressed asses. All they care about is not getting fired, and the best way to do that is to recommend media plans that are safe and look just like every other company's media plan. It would take a sailing-savvy, highly-involved, job-secure exec or owner of a client company to overrule their agency and insist on using the dollars for the VOR. What's the chance of that????

2N

#197 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,331 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

and 10 possible teams.

any idea how far along that process is?

#198 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:54 PM

and 10 possible teams.

any idea how far along that process is?

All I can say is that the VOR Organization is fully behind the team and has their commercial team helping in the sponsor hunt

#199 Trovão

Trovão

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,237 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

regarding the brazilian team, there have been official denials by both the pernambuco state governor and the recife city mayor about funding/backing this supposed team.

never forgetting they're politicians...

#200 nroose

nroose

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:26 AM

What about MS, Google, Facebook, Salesforce?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users