122 replies to this topic

#1 Bryce

Bryce

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 04:24 AM

Two weeks to go to kick off... whos in!?

Program looks good too...

http://www.sasc.com....Revision 1a.pdf

http://www.sasc.com....12-13 Rev 1.pdf

#2 akasideshow

akasideshow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:30 PM

tigger is there with bells on
looking forward to more days like this
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=A61IfIqAbGE

#3 Bryce

Bryce

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:40 AM

Tigers will be playing then...

In are:

Tigger
Shere Khan
Flying Brandy
Ophir
Balmain Tiger

Chasing crew are:

Ten8ious
Sigurd

Guest Appearances by:

Sabre
Hello Tiger

Some potential for havoc in there!

#4 wysiwyg

wysiwyg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:05 AM

Lets hope the Tigers have been working on their starts in the off-season?!

#5 Schnorky the Wave Puncher

Schnorky the Wave Puncher

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:52 AM

Jet is in. Looking forward to the sea breeze kicking in

#6 Bryce

Bryce

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:47 AM

Shit. You want them on the line with you!?

Attached Files

#7 Phil

Phil

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,027 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:03 AM

Rare shot that one! 'bout time though.

#8 Bryce

Bryce

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:50 AM

Jet is in. Looking forward to the sea breeze kicking in

We're used to intriguing and dramatic updates to Jet between seasons. Anything to look forward to this year or is it polished fast enough now?

#9 kelly

kelly

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:36 AM

I suspect the Jet Pilots have just about run out of polish..

#10 Schnorky the Wave Puncher

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:58 AM

Nothing new I'm afraid. There have not been any additions, changes or even sails for almost 3 years.

#11 Bryce

Bryce

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:56 AM

Nothing new I'm afraid. There have not been any additions, changes or even sails for almost 3 years.

Dissapointing... I was hoping for foils... See yer Saturday!

#12 Schnorky the Wave Puncher

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:03 AM

Dissapointing... I was hoping for foils... See yer Saturday!

Yep see you out there mate. Looks like a steady southerly

#13 kelly

kelly

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:54 PM

Great day for the first race of the Sydney Super 30’s Gold Cup. Blue skies, steady 13 knot breeze from the South tending East . 22 Entries but only 19 greeted the starter for this first race.

Its an interesting fleet with Zippier and the two Magic 25’s representing the sports boats. 5 Tigers , Jet which I can never tell if it’s a yacht or a sports boat and then the usual suspects such as Krackers, Youngstar , Torquil representing the larger Sports Yachts and of course Beware of the Dog and Rapid Transit representing the smaller Sports Yachts. Lastly there is the group of Sports Cruisers including Sydney 32’s and Masrams. I don’t know how the Handicapper is supposed to get a line across such a fleet particularly in such varying conditions that we get on Sydney Harbour.

Before the race I predicted the Sports boats or smaller sports yachts to take it out as in 13 Knots they would be up and planning while most others would be struggling in the transition zone. The results supported my theory to some extent but not completely.

The start was a bit of a reach with the Boat end favoured. Some of the starters got a bit excited with both Greengate and I think torquil going back for a second go at it. Balmain Tiger hit the line at speed and on the hooter with Tasty and Shere Khan just below and Zippier , Krackers and Monkey Magic above. The rest of the fleet seemed to be conservative and so the leaders opened a big gap to them by the first mark where Zippier lead Tasty, Kackers , Shere Khan, BT and Monkey Magic.

The first shy leg to Chowder was interesting to say the least. Tasty was a bit short of arms and legs , 3 up, so decided to stay with their two sail upwind configuration. The testosterone powered followers all popped their kites and paid dearly as they struggled to hold them and their boats up above Bradleys Head. BT lifted its Jib to allow a kite hoist which de powered the kite and saw them surge up to just behind Zippier at the mark with SK and Monkey Magic just behind .

The work to Rose saw SK pass BT going into the mark with both the Tigers apporx 50 Meters behind Zippier they headed towards a Starboard rounding of Shark Island. Zippier seemed to get a bit of the excites and got his kite away a bit early paying for it with a slow rounding and the Tigers closed but that was the last time they threatened to take the lead. Monkey Magic had a great run across to Chowder for the second time and was right on BT’s Starboard bow as they headed back to Shark but a clearing tack did not work for them and they fell back off the pace. Tasty defied logic and with only three up powered through into fourth place just ahead of Monkey Magic as the fleet headed around Shark towards Taylors Bay with Krackes hanging on and looking like a Wine winner.

From then on the positions stabilised with the fleet stringing out on the work back to Point Piper and then the Run to Kirribilli Point and the short work up to the finish West of Clark Island. Zippier got the gun just over 4 mins ahead of SK who were 2 mins ahead of BT making up the podium. The big congratulations go to the Tasty crew who did not get a chance to drink much and were only 1 minute behind BT in fourth place across the line. A great short-handed effort in sometimes difficult and busy conditions.

As for the handicap positions , well they were shared amongst the fleet , great handicapping. Larrikin and Knockabout representing the sports crisers were first and second, well done guys in conditions that I would not have expected to suite. Shere Khan representing the Tigers was third, with Krackers representing the Sports Yachts just missing the podium and Zippier representing the Sports boats in fifth.

I did not see much of what was happening back in the middle to end of the fleet , hopefully some one can add to this ramble. See you all in a couple of weeks, hopefully with similar to more windy conditions to bring the fleet even closer together. Any photos ? full results on www.sasc.com.au

#14 Youngstar

Youngstar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:30 PM

Race 1. Long and Short series.
Attached File  Screen shot 2012-09-16 at 8.32.05 AM.png   152.37K   146 downloadsAttached File  Screen shot 2012-09-16 at 8.31.09 AM.png   54.52K   122 downloadsAttached File  Screen shot 2012-09-16 at 8.27.37 AM.png   32.26K   41 downloads

What beats me is how many boats dont want to ? or cant ? sail weekly in what is arguably Sydneys premier (and largest) 30 foot and sportsboat fleet; which in addition has very cheap entry fees and is raced in the harbours centrally located main "arena".

#15 Youngstar

Youngstar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:40 PM

Race 1 Long and Short series.

Not too many photos this week due to crew shortage; speaking of which the lead boat here (Hick 30 Very Tasty is 3 up !!).

The start/ first mark.

Attached File  P9150051.jpg   91.73K   127 downloads

#16 Youngstar

Youngstar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:55 PM

Attached File  P9150056.jpg   185.51K   88 downloadsGP 26 Rapid Transit off Bradleys Head.

Attached File  P9150055.jpg   111.82K   90 downloads

#17 Youngstar

Youngstar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:05 AM

Great to see another Tiger " Ophir" in the mix.
Attached File  P9150065.jpg   232.69K   35 downloads

#18 Youngstar

Youngstar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:14 AM

Turboed Sportsboat JS 9000 Jet.

Attached File  P9150060.jpg   460.75K   95 downloads

Gear failure ? Crew failure ? (broken back ???)

#19 Youngstar

Youngstar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:24 AM

Turboed Sportsboat JS 9000 Jet.

Attached Files

#20 Youngstar

Youngstar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:30 AM

Flying Tiger 10 Ophir (3 up Hick 30 Very Tasty crossing background)

Attached Files

#21 Youngstar

Youngstar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:41 AM

Thompson 8 Zippier
Attached File  P9150067.jpg   148.98K   88 downloads

#22 Youngstar

Youngstar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:45 AM

The crew of last seasons (Gold Cup) winner FT 10 Flying Brandy ecstatic at being held out at the finish.
Attached File  P9150074.jpg   204.66K   57 downloads

#23 Youngstar

Youngstar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:13 AM

The backdated/ calculated AMS results for these first few races should be very interesting in a few weeks time; and I believe it will be also be trophy series for those who have certificates. IMO, this is a very welcome addition and by running both handicap systems (PHS & AMS) should cater for all levels and designs within the fleet.

Where else would you be every Saturday afternoon....

(and thanks S for a great effort yesterday).

Attached Files

#24 Evo

Evo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:51 AM

no wuckers Gaz. anytime....t'was a great crew effort all round mate. It'll only get better.

Cracking way for the fleet to start the season. Great pics from a bloody good day as always....pass the panadol please

#25 Youngstar

Youngstar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:17 AM

Looks frighteningly close between Tigers 66 & 77 !!!

And as for the actual procession order after the first mark...........

Attached File  DSC_0282.jpg   144.18K   164 downloads

Photo: courtesy J.Sligar

#26 rantifarian

rantifarian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:01 PM

I am a little confused, what are the entry requirements for a super 30 regatta? It seems like a wide range of designs

#27 wysiwyg

wysiwyg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:04 PM

Very enjoayable sail on Tasty (albeit a tad short handed). A very relaxing beer was had as we headed down to Chowder and watched the carnage unfold behind us...

Good to see at least one tiger has been practicing their starts in the off season...

#28 kelly

kelly

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:36 PM

Nah... not even a little close, SK just came over to discuss whether we should keep our kites up.
The race is not to the first mark... this is not the Sydney to Hobart ..
But Krackers did do a great job to lead the tigers in there, as did Tasty, shame Krackers can not keep concentrating for the two hours .

#29 kelly

kelly

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:42 PM

I am a little confused, what are the entry requirements for a super 30 regatta? It seems like a wide range of designs

Super 30's is a broad Church, we like to be inclusive and let the performance handicap work it out over a long season with varying conditions everyone wins a prize...
We are trying to get a measurement system working in Super 30's that will tell a different story.

#30 richiec

richiec

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:37 AM

will the new harbour based Melges32 show up?? Spice things up a bit.

#31 Bryce

Bryce

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:57 AM

Um... any chance of a pic around 3 - 4 minutes later!?

Great start to the season guys, ta! Loved it. Found a few rusty bits on BT. Agree... super effort Tasty 3 up. Quick. And nice speed shown early by many... e.g. Krackers, Shere Khan... Monkey Magic...

#32 Rawhide

Rawhide

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:04 AM

We are trying to get a measurement system working in Super 30's that will tell a different story.

SMS I would hope?

#33 kelly

kelly

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:29 AM

Hope in vain can't see a Sydney 32 getting a SMS handicap we will use AMS with a number of the fleet already measured

#34 richiec

richiec

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:05 PM

Heading for an SMS/AMS split? That would seem the most logical way to attract all likely starters. Leave PHS/PHRF for Winter Series? Or run in conjunction with?

The S30 fleet is one of the most diverse 30-odd foot fleets anywhere, with a mix of true sportsboats and sports (assym) oriented yachts. It would appear the perfect test bed for various scoring/rating systems and true, results based comparisons of those scoring systems.

#35 Rawhide

Rawhide

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:17 AM

The SMS / AMS split does appear the most logical. Any rule will struggle to rate a Syd 32 or Adams against a sports boat consistently.

My big problem with this series is where do you launch?

#36 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,187 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:14 AM

Little Manly as Chris W has done in the past, or Rose Bay on the other side has better parking prospects

or arrange with the Legacy hardstand cranes

SMS for the whole fleet is a no go, the larger boats (majority of fleet) don't qualify for a SMS cert, and in any case AMS has proven very effective in Super30 in Geelong & Airlie, every design of Super 30 (not SBs) are already represented on the AMS list

Smaller boats can have a AMS certificate (there's precedents GP26, Timpennys & TYs, Clubman 8, Hick 7.5, j/24) , however ....
the rule custodians YV only like you to have one or the other, either/or, meaning if you qualify as an SMS boat they resist giving you an AMS cert.

I think this could be relaxed for 'club only' racing, and there have been precedents in Darwin & ?Tas. ?S.A. where a single Elliott or such has been given an AMS to allow participation, also 'fixed keel' sporties like the 25' Hick-Up, JS9000 and the GP26 actually have AMS certs.
Also ALL TYs not considered 'sporties' can have an AMS.

though if the numbers were sufficient an AMS & an SMS fleet would be the ideal scenario

#37 (p)Irate

(p)Irate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:16 PM

No precedent set in TAS. It's PHS or nothing for me when I want to sail mixed fleet. YV were quite adamant that the T7 is a Sportsboat so is SMS only. Unless things have changed in the last year.

#38 twist & depth

twist & depth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:40 AM

I'd suggest having the SMS and AMS types on separate pointscores, and keep the PH system running for the whole fleet to decide overall.
The PH allows for handicapping crews and commitment as well as just the yachts potential, and mixed club racing is the home for all.
While I'm all for rules that rate similar types, I think that PH has a place too, and when applied properly gives reasonable results. :)

#39 (p)Irate

(p)Irate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:00 AM

Any racing on the weekend of 20/21 October? I'm going to be in Sydney between conferences and looking for something to do?

#40 Spoonie

Spoonie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:25 AM

Super 30's is a broad Church, we like to be inclusive and let the performance handicap work it out over a long season with varying conditions everyone wins a prize...

I was previously wondering the same thing. I bought an older hick 30 "Wainunu" over the winter and was hoping to get her to a race or two this year once I get her sailable again :/ Sounds like it won't be a problem.

How are you getting the boats measured? is there a measurement day or some such? Wouldn't mind getting some official measurements/weights.

Cheers
Craig

#41 richiec

richiec

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:47 AM

Hick 30 will be welcome with open arms. Measurer type guy has a bit on replacing a rig at the mo. Others will pipe in here in no time. Good luck with it.

#42 (p)Irate

(p)Irate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:21 AM

Any racing on the weekend of 20/21 October? I'm going to be in Sydney between conferences and looking for something to do?

Due to the underwhelming response I've decided to spend the weekend in Melbourne.

#43 richiec

richiec

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:05 PM

Come for a spin on a 52ft, canting keel yacht. Round cans, off shore. Picture an Elliott7, but 52ft. Pm if keen.

#44 Youngstar

Youngstar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:32 PM

SASC SUPER 30/SPORTS SPRINT SERIES HOSTED MHYC 13/10

Attached Files

#45 Youngstar

Youngstar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:40 PM

Attached Files

#46 Youngstar

Youngstar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:42 PM

Attached Files

#47 Youngstar

Youngstar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:45 PM

Attached Files

#48 Youngstar

Youngstar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:49 PM

Attached Files

#49 Youngstar

Youngstar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:51 PM

Attached Files

#50 Youngstar

Youngstar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:56 PM

Attached Files

#51 Youngstar

Youngstar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:00 AM

Attached Files

#52 Youngstar

Youngstar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:02 AM

Attached Files

#53 Youngstar

Youngstar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:05 AM

Attached Files

#54 Youngstar

Youngstar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:07 AM

Attached Files

#55 Youngstar

Youngstar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:10 AM

Attached Files

#56 Youngstar

Youngstar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:18 AM

Attached Files

#57 Youngstar

Youngstar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:24 AM

Attached Files

#58 Youngstar

Youngstar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:28 AM

Attached Files

#59 Youngstar

Youngstar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:33 AM

Attached Files

#60 Youngstar

Youngstar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:43 AM

Attached Files

#61 Youngstar

Youngstar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:44 AM

Attached Files

#62 Youngstar

Youngstar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:50 AM

Attached Files

#63 Youngstar

Youngstar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:06 AM

(more photos generally around those posted. PM any queries).

Attached Files

#64 dolphinmaster

dolphinmaster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:14 AM

Any results?

#65 Philc

Philc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,480 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:06 AM

Results on SASC web site with 3 results to be added to the second race on the day. Chris has the missing times.

Did you enjoy the W/L races?

Another day next year....interested?

#66 kelly

kelly

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:17 AM

Great day Phil... thanks to all at MHYC for working with the SASC guys to put this together. It produced some interesting results. with the heavier and squarer kite boats taking home the cookies. The racing was very close as seen by the results, line honours were even closer. It was a bit of a trip from Balmain but worth the effort even if we did get our arse handed to us , and once again thanks very much to all involved. Great to see the Blue assy kited Far 30 skeeter there to show the potential of this set up, although I am sure Sandor would have preferred his square kite for the up and down races.
Hope to see you all at the Balmain Regatta in a couple of weeks, Super 30 course is down harbour, Balmain to Shark I return with an after party not to be missed, entries on the BSC web site. Friday is the last day for entry without late penalty.

#67 Bryce

Bryce

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:46 PM

Come for a spin on a 52ft, canting keel yacht. Round cans, off shore. Picture an Elliott7, but 52ft. Pm if keen.

Mmm... UpShot? A Super 50...

#68 Bryce

Bryce

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:07 PM

(more photos generally around those posted. PM any queries).

Pays to start close to Youngstar! Great shots (we didn't look that good, that often), many thanks!!

#69 Schnorky the Wave Puncher

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:51 AM

Results on SASC web site with 3 results to be added to the second race on the day. Chris has the missing times.

Yes it was well done Phil. Thanks putting it on. Good practice for the Sydney Harbour Regatta

#70 Philc

Philc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,480 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:00 AM

Yes it was well done Phil. Thanks putting it on. Good practice for the Sydney Harbour Regatta

Well there is another day of the Sprint Series 23 Feb just before the Sydney Harbour Regatta on 9 March...........Hang on why would we want you lot to get better for the SHR when we will race you?????

#71 kelly

kelly

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:44 AM

Well there is another day of the Sprint Series 23 Feb just before the Sydney Harbour Regatta on 9 March...........Hang on why would we want you lot to get better for the SHR when we will race you?????

Tigers, other than Tigger, will be at the NSW titles hosted by RANSA on Feb 23/24 getting our own practice for the Syd Harbour Regatta and National Titles...

#72 Beff

Beff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Photography, and sailing photography!

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:16 AM

Here are some more shots from the Middle Harbour sprint races...

http://www.sportsailingphotography.com/Sailing/SASCMHYC-Short-Sprint-Series/25962988_BWkcLH#!i=2153565922&k=nBQmwqR

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#73 kelly

kelly

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:35 AM

Would love to see the Big Elliott at the Balmain Regatta , since that's where it lives. Who is the best contact.

#74 Youngstar

Youngstar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:01 AM

http://www.sportsailingphotography.com/Sailing/SASCMHYC-Short-Sprint-Series/25962988_BWkcLH#!i=2153565922&k=nBQmwqR

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Nice work there Beth in difficult circumstances..... and could have been quite dangerous.....

I know why theres no Youngstar shots......apparently .....we werent actually even in the second race (well not until the following week anyway !)

#75 richiec

richiec

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:05 AM

Kelly, when is the Balmain regatta? We're sailing tommorow, I'll talk to the boys. Not much runway up there!

#76 Beff

Beff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:09 AM

http://www.sportsail...65922&k=nBQmwqR

Nice work there Beth in difficult circumstances..... and could have been quite dangerous.....

I know why theres no Youngstar shots......apparently .....we werent actually even in the second race (well not until the following week anyway !)

Sorry about that Garry... not sure why I didn't see you out there, probably cuz I couldnt see over the swell. Here''s a few shots from yesterday though... was a great sail!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#77 Beff

Beff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:14 AM

Some more shots here from yesterday's Super 30's ...

http://www.sportsail...26047303_2PM8fQ

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#78 Youngstar

Youngstar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:24 AM

Thanks for the Youngstar shots Beth (and the race in general). A very tough day in 20-30 kts but great racing. Bugger about SK's DNF but not the only ones.

Attached Files

#79 Youngstar

Youngstar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:31 AM

Thanks for the Youngstar shots Beth (and the race in general). A very tough day in 20-30 kts but great racing. Bugger about SK's DNF but not the only ones.
(I've sent you the others around this sequence direct).

Attached Files

#80 Youngstar

Youngstar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:36 AM

SASC SUPER 30 / SPORTS 20/10/12.
Hick 30 Very Tasty off to a flying start.

Attached Files

#81 Youngstar

Youngstar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:41 AM

Cape 31 Clueless starting.

Attached Files

#82 Youngstar

Youngstar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:48 AM

Greg Young 31 Krakatoa

Attached Files

#83 Youngstar

Youngstar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:51 AM

Attached Files

#84 Youngstar

Youngstar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:02 AM

Krakatoa.

Attached Files

#85 Youngstar

Youngstar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:26 AM

Shere Khan, Krakatoa and Youngstar

Photo: (Beth) Sportsailing photography.

Attached Files

#86 Youngstar

Youngstar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:31 AM

Youngstar, Krakatoa and Shere Khan

Attached Files

#87 Youngstar

Youngstar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:35 AM

Flying Brandy, Clueless and Youngstar

Attached Files

#88 Youngstar

Youngstar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:21 AM

Attached Files

#89 Youngstar

Youngstar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:42 AM

Young 840
(photo credit: John Sligar).

Attached Files

#90 karua

karua

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:34 AM

Youngstar looked very quick with that 'chute. Stood up better than most of the fleet too!

Only sorry I wasn't there...

#91 kelly

kelly

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:14 AM

Kelly, when is the Balmain regatta? We're sailing tommorow, I'll talk to the boys. Not much runway up there!

Sorry for being slack in replying , working on the 120 entries to date...
Balmain Regatta is this coming Sunday Oct 28
Open Yachts course is Down to Shark Island and back, plenty of runway for you guys.
We have 20 boats in the Open Yachts - Down Harbour
10 in Super 30's
5 in FT10's
5 in Young 88's
All doing the Down Harbour course, should be a hoot.

The other 70 boats from Classic Skiffs, J24's , Classic Yachts , Open Yachts Up Harbour , Classic Metres, Classic Gaffers etc will be racing around the Islands, Snapper, Spectacle, Cockatoo and Goat.

Get your entry in today... go to www.balmainsailingclub.com

#92 Schnorky the Wave Puncher

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:44 AM

Well done Shere Khan. Over 5 minutes in front of the second boat and half an hour ahead of almost half the fleet.

#93 Bryce

Bryce

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:25 AM

Well done Shere Khan. Over 5 minutes in front of the second boat and half an hour ahead of almost half the fleet.

Impressive wasn't it! Well done Rod and team. Not too shabby from you guys and Tasty either. We were left to ponder what could have been if we'd have not f#*ked up the last 1/4 of the first beat. Enjoyable day. Rare that the fleet is that stretched out. Guess the left wasn't the place to go?

#94 akasideshow

akasideshow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:33 AM

Impressive wasn't it! Well done Rod and team. Not too shabby from you guys and Tasty either. We were left to ponder what could have been if we'd have not f#*ked up the last 1/4 of the first beat. Enjoyable day. Rare that the fleet is that stretched out. Guess the left wasn't the place to go?

tell me about it!

#95 kelly

kelly

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:59 AM

tell me about it!

When its East go East....

#96 Beff

Beff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:32 AM

Few shots of the race from last Saturday 3rd Nov... Well done to SK!!

More photos here: http://www.sportsail...97722&k=2R779Qr

Posted Image

Attached Files

#97 atefooterz

atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,654 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:18 AM

tell me about it!

When its East go East....

Interestingly Woody won the Saturday Histerical 18s by working the South :) This was due to delayed starts from the RSYS and filthy yot wind forming a very slow East lane, that he rightly ignored, and made up 9 minutes between the Kurraba Start & Clark Island the 1st lap :P

#98 gregw

gregw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:52 AM

It is 5 years since Nigel Holman passed away. While Nigel's later incarnations of MYC 2 Cuckoo's Nest were out of the super 30 class, he did have both a Masram and a Mt Gay 30 that carried that name and were campaigned in and out of Sydney harbour.

Nigel's wife, Imogen, has recently cleaned up a few things and discovered a small horde of rum that Nigel had won/collected over the years. Imogen donated them to Manly Yacht club and suggested that we use them as prizes for the race nearest the anniversary of his death. This MYC did and a few weeks ago we had the Nigel Holman twilight and much rum was won and drunk.

However, luckily we noticed that a few of the bottles looked a little good for the MYC twilights (elite sail contest that it is :) A bit of googling revealed that 3 of the bottles are full on collectors items, with one bottle in particular ( a 1988 Bundaberg Centenary VAT 100 boxed decanter), being worth well over $2000 at auction! Imogen insisted that the club keep the bottles and use them to raise funds for the club. Rather than just selling them, we have converted one of our MYC race days next year into the Nigel Holman Race 4 Rum, with proceeds going towards a new support boat to be named after Nigel. Bundaberg has come on board with an extra case of rum for additional prizes and Micropay are also sponsoring the event with a donation towards the support boat.

There will be an inshore and a short offshore race, hopefully with multiple divisions of each if we get enough entrants. The place getters of each division will get bottles of Rum. The winners of the combined divisions for inshore and offshore will receive a collectable bottle of Bundaberg Black. Every entrant will go into the barrel with a chance to win the Vat 100 by a draw. Place getters will go into the barrel more often.

The racing will be on the 3rd of March, which is the Sunday before the SHR, so hopefully boats from many clubs will be available to participate and get into a bit of training (for the SHR as well as drinking rum) in commemoration of Nigel and to help perpetuate his memory in a new support boat for MYC.

The NOR is available via http://myc.org.au/ra...nhrd/nhrd.shtml and you can enter online for $50.

Please help commemorate a great sailor. Spread the word and get your entries in early! If we get sufficient super 30 entries, we can consider making a division for them.

cheers

#99 Schnorky the Wave Puncher

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

I havent see so much argy bargy on the start line before. The pin end ended up not being so biased.

#100 Youngstar

Youngstar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

I havent see so much argy bargy on the start line before. The pin end ended up not being so biased.

Congrats to Jet on the double. PHS and AMS win !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users