• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 DavidMNZ

DavidMNZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:35 PM

Am running NobelTec TZ on a MacBookPro via Parallels 7 and Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit. The Win 7 virtual machine has 4GByte of macine's RAM , 512MByte of Video RAM plus 512GByte of the 1TByte Hard disk. Problem is that the Nobeltec software hangs when loading at about 90% of the progress bar. Anyway seen this and did you find a solution ?

Any comments / help appreciated

Thanks
David

#2 WHL

WHL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,690 posts
  • Interests:Offshore, Star, Farr 30, R Boat racing, and gunkholing in classic daysailers

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:27 PM

Yes don't mess with Nobeltec and get Expedition instead !! :D Expediton is much more credibie with features tried by many of the best navigators, that It might even be worth the change by buying an el cheapo Windows PC to run it.

#3 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts
  • Interests:My ride: An OCD designed Class 40

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:59 AM

WHL speaks the truth. I was a long time Nobeltec user (2001 to 2008) and can not believe how much happier I am using Expedition.

#4 DavidMNZ

DavidMNZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:47 AM

Thanks guys, I am well aware of the benfits and excellent software from Expedition, however the guy I am dealing with is cruising globally and specifically wants Trident TZ as his main Nav platform. Hence I need to find a suitable fix if possible.

Thanks
David

#5 Wanderer

Wanderer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:49 AM

Have you tried just using Boot Camp and running your Mac as a Windows PC for this work?

Tris...

#6 DavidMNZ

DavidMNZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:22 AM

Thanks Tris, yes I am sure it will work fine under Boot Camp but we want to access the Mac OS quite frequently for internet, email, photos etc and still have the nav software running, so I will persevere with Parallels for now to try find best fix / setup
Cheers
David

#7 SMBReno

SMBReno

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Interests:Shorthanded sailing.

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:37 AM

Will it run in Bootcamp? If so, problem likely parallels.

#8 shiny

shiny

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:20 AM

It is also worth trying VMWare. I have found a few things that have problems under Parallels that work fine under VMWare.

#9 googull

googull

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:07 AM

Dave - Primary Nav system? wow! - rather mission critical to run in a VM IMHO. We generally recommend a pair of mac mini computers. One dedicated to NAV running Windows, the other for misc stuff including internet connection risk, etc. We configure the misc system with Windows using Boot Camp so if NAV system fails there is a back up. I know this is off from what you were asking for but after spending $$ for VM layer, giving up stability with VM, and no redundancy - the additional Mac mini can appear to be a bargain with many benefits.

#10 Streetwise

Streetwise

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • Interests:Viper 640 #18

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:14 AM

Try upgrading to Parallels 8, and make sure you leave some RAM for the Mac OS too.

Does The software expect any specific hardware to be connected when it is launching?

Jason

#11 Moonduster

Moonduster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,366 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:34 PM

David,

I haven't used NobelCheck for quite some time. They had been using a specialized security/encryption dongle and there might be driver problems when you're running on a Mac with virtualization. Do you know if you're past the dongle access stage of the startup process? Are you able to see the dongle and its driver in the Device Manager?

Sigh ...

#12 Becalmed

Becalmed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:26 PM

Make sure you start up the windows virtualization (i.e. search for a file folder) and then insert the dongle so it can be installed on the windows side. Once the dongle lights up, open the program.

#13 Mogle

Mogle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Interests:Shorthanded Sailing
    Offshore racing
    RORC
    Long distance Cruising

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

I might be "spinning" on someones topic here.

Just out of interests is there any plans for Expedition to release a Mac version?

#14 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,696 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

I might be "spinning" on someones topic here.

Just out of interests is there any plans for Expedition to release a Mac version?

I doubt it...

I think Nick is probably busy enough keeping the windows versions up to date.

Also, as I mentioned in the other thread, one of the main features of Expedition is the networking ability - which as far as i know is unmatched by any other nav software, including even the most expensive version of Adrena. Expedition communicates with B&G via H-link (maybe Deckman does this too), and I wonder if this would be easy to do in the Mac OS environment.

#15 Streetwise

Streetwise

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • Interests:Viper 640 #18

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:59 PM

With Parallels and other virtualization tools you can give the virtual machine a bridged ethernet port on the same LAN as the rest of the network.

When you insert a USB device, Parallels will ask if you want to connect the device to the Mac side or the Windows side, and you can choose to have it remember that choice or ask you each time.

What type of connection does H-link use?

Jason

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users