Symmetric kite on a U20, can the alloy mast handle it?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Varan

Varan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:24 AM

Only to be used in one 42 nm downwind event. Winds typically 15 to 30 against a 3 knot current.

#2 Timmys_Trick_Turkey

Timmys_Trick_Turkey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:35 AM

Posted Image
Are you sure the periscope is sufficiently high for an assymetrical ?

#3 Ryley

Ryley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,016 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Photography, Sailing, Mountain Biking.. did I mention sailing?

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:09 PM

Only to be used in one 42 nm downwind event. Winds typically 15 to 30 against a 3 knot current.

I'd think that an A2 in those conditions would be as good as a sym chute and easier to recover from when things get pear shaped.

#4 junta

junta

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:45 PM

Some older boats that did the Delta Ditch were set up for Sym. If you have an older boat with original mast. Pre hull 150. should be ok. Just do not pull on the vang hard. You can also run a running back if you are worried.

#5 Varan

Varan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:57 PM

I'd think that an A2 in those conditions would be as good as a sym chute and easier to recover from when things get pear shaped.

Need to play the shore for current relief. With the A2 we did over 150 jibes this year, losing ground whenever we strayed too far from shore. Symmetrics pointed DDW, fewer maneuvers, less distance sailed, less adverse current.

#6 Peacefrog

Peacefrog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:02 PM

3 words, WING ON WING :)

#7 Speng

Speng

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,076 posts
  • Interests:stuff with sails

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:14 PM

Will it change your rating?

#8 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,686 posts
  • Interests:SA is DEAD

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:27 PM

#27 was set up to fly a Moore 24 kite for many many years we even had a PHRF rating for it. The rig was also set up with a proper toping lift led internally and to the deck left side by the furler cleat. In the end as the new Assymetric kites grew shoulders we found that we really had no need for the symmetric kite. The early Asymmetric kites were so flat cut with high foots that today if you saw one - you would think it was a reaching jib hence why #27 was set up with the Moore 24 kite.

By the way the Moore 24 kite looks like a little mini kite compared to the current class Assymetric kites.

#9 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,686 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:29 PM

Will it change your rating?

YES! IT WILL and it would be proper to be protested if you did not get your rating changed.

#10 Albacore6700

Albacore6700

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Curling, Woodworking, Kids

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:50 PM

It's not the kite that is hazardous to your mast, it is the boom being out past the corner of the boat with the vang being on hard. If you have rigged the check stays that were approved by the class then you should be fine with any kite arrangement. If you don't and you want to run at deeper angles which means the boom will be right out and the vang will be on to keep the top of the sail closed, then I think that is risky...

#11 Varan

Varan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:04 AM

It's not the kite that is hazardous to your mast, it is the boom being out past the corner of the boat with the vang being on hard. If you have rigged the check stays that were approved by the class then you should be fine with any kite arrangement. If you don't and you want to run at deeper angles which means the boom will be right out and the vang will be on to keep the top of the sail closed, then I think that is risky...

Noted, thank you.

#12 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,131 posts
  • Interests:...pimping HOOTs
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:24 PM

Need to play the shore for current relief. With the A2 we did over 150 jibes this year, losing ground whenever we strayed too far from shore. Symmetrics pointed DDW, fewer maneuvers, less distance sailed, less adverse current.

...from the sounds of it,I'm guessing this year's dam-to-dam??
....I wasn't there,,but it sounded like an off-year.
......believe me,you'll be happy with an asymmetric in an 'on' year,and glad yer don't have a pole to gybe!
....perhaps a chicken-chute would be on the wishlist then :huh:

...a rotating bow-pole would help in lighter stuff

#13 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:40 PM

Why wouldn't the mast be able to handle an S sail if it could already handle an A sail of similar size?

Would the load patterns really be that different?

#14 oldensloh

oldensloh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:41 PM

Several of our local U20s have done the Delta Ditch Run with Moore 24 kites. That’s 65 nuclear miles.

#15 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,686 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:42 PM

Why wouldn't the mast be able to handle an S sail if it could already handle an A sail of similar size?

Would the load patterns really be that different?

ACtually the guys doing this run smaller kites the Moore 24 kite at least when its up looks tiny compared to the stock Class Asym

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users