6 replies to this topic

#1 TigerinCT

TigerinCT

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:55 AM

Can someone walk me thru what you've done to put in a bigger pintle?

I think it's something like:
- remove gudgeons
- drill gudgeons and cassette to 0.5"
- replace
- insert 0.5" stainless rod

Is it that simple? Any problems to watch out for?

I know... I'd rather have the full carbon 1-piece rudder too, but budgets sometimes limit, and I need a Zero or a A5 to fill out our inventory.

#2 Bryce

Bryce

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:44 AM

As I recall, the problem was the hole thru the cassette was larger than the holes in the pintles. Failing memory suggests the cassette was made to 1/2" and the pintles to 12mm... The pin was 12mm. On #66 we drilled out the pintles to 1/2" and replaced the pin. Actually we drilled them out more than 1/2" and put in brass bushes so we could replace as ness.

#3 jaymac

jaymac

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:22 AM

You sound as though your doing it right, take the gugeons off and get them to a proper drill press and vice.
I did mine on the boat, a vibrating, chattering hand held drill will never do the job.
Sounds easy, just drill out 0.7mm of stainless, but it gets hot, then work hardens, impossible.
Luckily an engineer working on the next boat in the boat park watched for an hour then came to help.
He slowly chipped out the hole with a 1/2 drill held by hand in vice grips.
Then produced a 1/2" reamer and saved my arse.
If it were not for him my rudder pin would have rattled for ever.
Just remember, working stainless is really easy, so long as you remember how hard it is.!!!

#4 Bryce

Bryce

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:57 AM

Yes, apologies for missing the bit about pitfalls of working with stainless. In practice we got the guy in the yard to set up a guide over the pintles to drill out. Taking off and using a drill press would be safer. Trick is, sharp drills, preferable cobalt bits, use cutting oil and be positive!

#5 Clewless

Clewless

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:29 PM

We did it with a hand roll but with a carbide step drill with outermost diameter being 0.5". Was really easy. Working perfectly with Betts or oem.

#6 TigerinCT

TigerinCT

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:08 PM

We did it with a hand roll but with a carbide step drill with outermost diameter being 0.5". Was really easy. Working perfectly with Betts or oem.

Clew, did you remove the bracket from the boat and drill in a shop, or did you drill it on the boat? I'm trying to be cheap, but don't want to stuff it...

#7 Clewless

Clewless

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:02 PM

On the boat which was on a trailer with a hand drill. It will be hard to do it in the water. The secret is using a step drill -- it is lined up to the old 12mm hole and just bores it out to 12.7mm. I drilled the top hole from the top and the bottom hole from the bottom side. So it is easiest to be out of the water.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users