#1 ians

ians

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:25 PM

All,
I've read over the 2012 Melges 24 sailing rules to try to solve a question. The rules dictate that anything omitted from the rules is banned, however, there is nothing even mentioned about the mainsheet. By logic, are mainsheets technically banned then!?

Anyways, my question is about the mainsheet purchasing. Is there a minimum or maximum as to how many purchases one can have? In addition, can one skip purchases in order to trim more directly?

Basically, i want to be able to trim the main directly downwind so as helm i can feel the rig load better and to facilitate gybing. Can i trim directly from a purchase? Can i lead the tail of the mainsheet to the boom and trim the main like on a Finn?

Perhaps i missed something in the rules.

#2 Damp Freddie

Damp Freddie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts
  • Interests:sport boats, 59er poss' and developments: beer.

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:27 PM

I guess gybing strops are illegal, but as long as the main is not given a new physical attachment point then trimming within RRoS is allowed.

#3 Evo

Evo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:49 AM

Read Section H.2....all the artillery listed there. The rest is how you use it

#4 bruno

bruno

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:39 PM

what is a boom security line?

#5 n00b

n00b

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:57 AM

All,
I've read over the 2012 Melges 24 sailing rules to try to solve a question. The rules dictate that anything omitted from the rules is banned, however, there is nothing even mentioned about the mainsheet. By logic, are mainsheets technically banned then!?

Anyways, my question is about the mainsheet purchasing. Is there a minimum or maximum as to how many purchases one can have? In addition, can one skip purchases in order to trim more directly?

Basically, i want to be able to trim the main directly downwind so as helm i can feel the rig load better and to facilitate gybing. Can i trim directly from a purchase? Can i lead the tail of the mainsheet to the boom and trim the main like on a Finn?

Perhaps i missed something in the rules.

There is nothing preventing you or your crew from trimming the sheet at any point along its travel. You dont have to trim the main from the tail end of the sheet.

#6 ians

ians

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:19 PM

Thanks all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users