25 replies to this topic

#1 AussieSailorChick

AussieSailorChick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 02:49 AM

Looking to go sailing with a GoPro later in the year and I want to edit and publish videos and images from on board the yacht.

Any suggestions on which video editing programs are better than others?

Any problems you have come across (and solved or haven't solved)?

Thanks! B)

Or if there is already a thread in here - where I can find it!

#2 amro

amro

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:51 AM

Computer? Operating system? Willing to pay for software?

Mac crap - final cut pro or avid
Pc - adobe premiere
Linux - cinelerra

#3 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,338 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:02 AM

Start with the basics: you need a program that can ingest the HD video and spit something out you can work with. Use this: http://www.squared5.com

Take a test video and then open it with MPEG Streamclip. Use that to trim and compress to a standard size depending on your bandwidth capabilities. I trim mine down to 720 x 480, 24 fps, which yields a file size after editing of somewhere around 20 MB per minute, and for a typical 2 minute video update, that's 40 MB for those who are getting charged by the MB for satellite data.

After you process it with Streamclip, you can import the now-compressed clip into something easy: For Mac, use iMovie. For Windows, use Premiere lite or Moviemaker. Practice with both long before, because I can guarantee that getting them done quickly will be at a premium; doing it in any kind of seaway is a guarantee of seasickness even if you are rarely prone to it.

#4 AussieSailorChick

AussieSailorChick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:24 AM

Happy to pay for software. Likely to be working on a PC.

Sounds like I should be uploading videos/stills from the iPad/iPhone and leave the GoPro editing for when we get to shore.. I don't need any help to puke into a bucket in a seaway as it is....!!

I'll look at adobe premiere and squared5 - thanks!

#5 madboutcats

madboutcats

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:18 AM

I've been mucking around with on board video cams for 6 years now, biggest problem with the gopro is it fogging up because the inside of the cover heats up, best solution I've heard of is as many grains of dry rice as you can get in there (won't be many) that sucks up the condensation. Don't bother with the special insert pack gopro offer it still fogs up.
I used Adobe premiere elements 10 for this vid.
http://youtu.be/UsVM-lw0aVw
I had a forward crappy camera and rear wide screen HD camera no trouble editing both in and took about 40mins to make this by importing the whole video in then just chopping out the boring stuff.

#6 Great White

Great White

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts
  • Interests:Racing, cruising, bicycle riding and touring, hiking, xcountry skiing.

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:23 AM

I have been playing around with a Go Pro and using Movie Maker to edit into a video. Lots of restarting the program while using Movie Maker to edit. It is not very friendly with the HD format, and is very time consuming. The last couple of videos went a little smoother.

#7 DanimalNZ

DanimalNZ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:50 AM

i use go pro on my laser - mount on bow and at end of boom

use prem pro - don't waste time on other s/w

i had fogging probs until i used the inserts, now i store and
and load in the freezer, inserts optional

#8 wrong_Line

wrong_Line

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:sailing ....

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:11 PM

If you have a Mac, play with iMovie prior to purchasing Final Cut pro or other. While final cut gives you much more options for editing but iMovie will give you a good example of how it works and it comes with the Mac.
Make sure you have plenty of drive space, as the GoPro videos take up a fair amount of space on their own and any video editing app will use up lots more with the project files and video edits.

All comments on fogging are spot on.

#9 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,719 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:31 PM

Sony Vegas! It's the quickest thing I've found for rendering and just plain editing.

#10 wrong_Line

wrong_Line

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:06 PM

Should have posted this earlier, here is a video made with iMovie and a GoPro. I have since upgraded to Final Cut pro, but it will give you a good example of what is possible.

Video Link

#11 Danceswithoctopus

Danceswithoctopus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:13 PM

Ditto on fogging, although the inserts have worked alright for me so far. I use iMovie on my Mac for editing. Also ditto on the space comment. The videos burn through disk space like candy.

Also saw a new small video camera on the market, http://contour.com/. They have a new version coming out that competes very well with the GoPro and has a GPS that tracks time, location, and speed that sounds kind of interesting. The regular model is around $200. I'd be interested to hear if anyone's tried it.

#12 madboutcats

madboutcats

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:10 PM

Contours a great camera, wide angle, HD, 3.5hrs of video, handles getting wet, good non vibrate mounts, only minor problem is plug in charging off a computer so need to wait a few hours once flat and have access for power to run a computer. I've just purchased a similar camera with pop out rechargeable battery and an extra battery but havn't got it yet.

#13 AussieSailorChick

AussieSailorChick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:12 AM

Great info! Thank you!

I've got a dive trip coming up this month so will use those images/footage as a test run..

#14 Danceswithoctopus

Danceswithoctopus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:04 PM

By the way, PC Magazine lists CyberLink PowerDirector 10 as their Editor's Choice for inexpensive video editing software (it goes for under $100 US).

Does anybody have any experience with this software?

#15 E37Juno

E37Juno

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:31 PM

Thanks for the fogging comments, had that happen also. Very bummed. Will try rice and/or freezer.

#16 AussieSailorChick

AussieSailorChick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:34 AM

Does the fogging only happen during sailing or during diving too?

#17 wrong_Line

wrong_Line

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:43 AM

Fogging is more prone to happen while sailing, but If the camera gets hot from the sun, prior to diving, you may get some fogging. if you are using the GoPro, have you looked into the Dive Housing? I have not been diving with the camera yet, but from what i have read, if you use the standard housing you will get some blurring around the edges of the video. The Dive housing prevents that.

#18 AussieSailorChick

AussieSailorChick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:26 PM

I've got a flat housing on order from the dive shop - just worried about this fogging that I've not heard about before!!

#19 amro

amro

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:14 PM

Do what divers do before a mask gets used. Should solve the fogging issue.

Failing that, try wiping a thin film of dish soap inside the case. We did that to our motorcycle helmet visors and never had a problem with fogging.

If you are still debating what software to use, download a live cd of cinelerra from http://cinelerra.org...g_cinelerra.php and try it for free. It will at least give you an idea of what to expect of the whole process before you lay down some cash for editing software. Who knows, it may work for you and you won't have to buy anything.

#20 Heriberto

Heriberto

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts
  • Interests:Mount Gay Sugarcane

Posted 15 September 2012 - 04:28 PM

I use Avid Studio on the PC, had it since it was upgraded from Pinnacle Studio. Don't know other programs but I am VERY pleased with it.

Rev Petey swears by the Drift Innovations camera over the GoPro. I don't have either but he does this for a living, so I would trust him.

#21 AussieSailorChick

AussieSailorChick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:44 PM

I already have the GoPro courtesy of my birthday earlier in the year so will stick with it unless it turns to custard.

Still keen to know what programs folk are using as I haven't bought anything yet.

Thank you!!

#22 madboutcats

madboutcats

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:14 AM

Definately keep the Go Pro it's probably the best camera out there for sailing and if it didn't fog up would be the only camera on boats. There are lots of threads on forums devoted to trying to cure the fogging problem, spit wipe like diving wont cure the condensation problem, unless your underwater. The Go Pro inserts work for a while so if your only shooting for a couple of hours will be fine, it normally doesn't suddenly fog up just gradually creeps in from the edges. Another way to avoid fogging is to load the camera in front of an air conditioner outlet as the air conditioner de humidifies the air thereby should lessen condensation. Then put rice in

#23 DanimalNZ

DanimalNZ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:21 AM

last weekend i built a small chamber which i could use to load the GoPro in the housing in minus ambient pressure. it works very well. i tested over 3hrs cycling repeatedly between fridge and hairdryer with no fogging. i tested it today on the laser (melbourne) and no fogging at all over entire 3 hr session.

very simple device using easy components obtained from local hardware store - took 30 mins to construct - it uses a dual action bed inflate/deflate manual pump (or pretty much a kite pump) to suck out air. ideal for anyone who does a lot of water work and wants to eliminate fogging. feel free to PM me for details of device.

d

#24 FromTheRail

FromTheRail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:05 PM

I'm currently getting into this just now, have been using Cyberlinks PowerDirector 11 Ultimate, I like it just now but will see how much it can actually do in the near future, with the Ultimate version though you can download a more basic copy to a tablet for on the go editing then tweek it late on the full version on your pc

#25 arthurleo

arthurleo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Sailing !

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:07 PM

If you have time to learn how to use it, you can use Final cut , it gives amazing results (check in HD!) :
http://www.youtube.c...er/arthurleomcr

#26 arthurleo

arthurleo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Sailing !

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:31 PM

We have just made one new amazing vid using Final cut :

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users