• Please log in to reply
208 replies to this topic

#1 alx

alx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:31 AM

Hello everyone! After spending a few hours lurking and reading other posts, I figured I'd say hi and introduce myself.

My name's Alex. I'm a newbie sailor in San Francisco. I started taking lessons early this year and have been loving every minute I spent out on the bay. I decided the best way to enjoy my newfound hobby would be to have my own boat, and so I recently became the owner of a venerable J-30. She needs some love, which I plan to give her over the next couple of months. Soon, though, I'll be able to take her out there...

Cheers, and nice to meet you all!

-Alex

Attached Files

• Attached File  j30.jpg   750.06K   96 downloads

#2 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:39 AM

Nice boat, But as a newb your supposed to post tit's.

If you post tits you'll be taken more seriously.

#3 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,690 posts
  • Interests:It's Obvious!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:13 AM

Wow. He'll be hitting the races in no time.

#4 Dale dug a hole

Dale dug a hole

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts
  • Interests:Digging holes

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:50 AM

I've gotta say it.

As a newb to set up your account, including Avatar (which is umm, I guess you) , and just jump in. Makes my bullshit meter go up.

A pic of your smiley face on "What's it Name" the J-30 would help.

#5 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:33 PM

I've gotta say it.

As a newb to set up your account, including Avatar (which is umm, I guess you) , and just jump in. Makes my bullshit meter go up.

good point.

we're a bit gun-shy

#6 Timo42

Timo42

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,813 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:02 PM

I've gotta say it.

good point.

we're a bit gun-shy

What reison do you have to be gunshy? :P

#7 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:58 PM

I've gotta say it.

good point.

we're a bit gun-shy

What reison do you have to be gunshy? :P

maybe if we look closely, we'll see a contract on that J30

#8 steele

steele

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:18 PM

He is a young guy who makes no claims to fame or wealth with an old boat that is not yet sea worthy. I will give him some slack.

#9 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,197 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:44 PM

He is a young guy who makes no claims to fame or wealth with an old boat that is not yet sea worthy. I will give him some slack.

+1

#10 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:34 AM

Yes, it would seem that way. And I'd really like things to be the way they were before we had to be paranoid about psychotic sock puppets. Like the sock puppet girl single-handing from Scotland to the U.S. in a Baba 30. Yeah, most don't remember that one.

alx, no offense. It would be cool to see you at the helm of your new J30.

#11 Timo42

Timo42

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,813 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:54 AM

Trust but verify, and welcome. :P

#12 alx

alx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:13 AM

Wow, I didn't realize people did that sort of thing! I'm happy to verify (but sorry, floating dutchman, the clothes are staying on ^_^).

So, here's me on my J-30 from today. As you can see, she's currently named Chanson, with a hailing port of Seattle, Washington. The guy I bought it from liked the attention he got from having Seattle on a boat here in SF. I'll be changing that, and the name as well (yeah, I know...).

I don't think I'll be doing much racing, at least for a year or two while I get some experience. My main interest is day sailing and weekend overnight trips to local destinations - Angel Island, Sausalito, etc.

As for her seaworthiness, currently her engine needs a little attention, and I have things like new lifelines, etc that I want to get done before I'll feel comfortable taking her out, especially with anyone else aboard.

Attached Files

#13 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,197 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:25 AM

Carry on Skipper...and welcome aboard!

Edit....BTW...I remember that boat...Did you have it surveyed and sound the hull,and tap every square foot of the underbody....or did the previous owner do any core repairs?

#14 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:33 AM

Welcome aboard skipper. You've got quite a future ahead of you. J30 is one of those boats few people think of as a starter boat but makes an excellent one. Easy to sail well. She will be a good teacher.

Look for a guy named Scott Brue from Screamin O. A J30 in Minnesota. He can tell you all the scary stuff to look out for like delamination of the hull core.

#15 VALIS

VALIS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:48 AM

Keee-rist! The guy is probably exactly who he says he is, and I give him big credit for introducing himself to this bunch of paranoid louts (and I include myself in this group). If he's making it all up, so what, as long as he tells an interesting story. If he's telling the truth, even better.

Alex, welcome to Cruising Anarchy, welcome to San Francisco waters, and welcome to sailing. You're going to have a lot of fun with your new boat, and there's always some sort of sailing event going on in the bay. Even if you're not into racing, look into the "Three Bridge Fiasco", which takes place the last week of January each year. You've got time to get ready, and it's a wonderful experience (even if all you do is drift around in the rain, which happened to us in 2011). Find someone with a little experience and sign up for the doublehanded division.

Now fuck off and show us some tits.

#16 Salazar

Salazar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Photography, Stage Lighting, etc.

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:58 AM

As you can see, she's currently named Chanson, with a hailing port of Seattle, Washington. The guy I bought it from liked the attention he got from having Seattle on a boat here in SF. I'll be changing that, and the name as well (yeah, I know...).

Chanson (French) = Song (English)

Really, that's not a bad name for a boat. Welcome aboard!

#17 Anomaly2

Anomaly2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • Interests:sailing, building small boats...

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:29 AM

(but sorry, floating dutchman, the clothes are staying on ^_^).

Alex, Alex, Alex..... trust me, NOBODY here wants to see YOU without your clothes on... Go back and read the original instructions again. Sheesh....

(but welcome)

#18 steele

steele

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:38 AM

I agree, the name is not so bad, the chicks will love it. There are 3 J 30's that I can see from my boat, itself another old 30 foot boat. I have always admired their big stern hung rudders. My boat backs up like a wandering pig, the J30's go where there skipers point them. The J30 across the fairway from me is owned by a guy who just frowns at me everytime a back out of my slip, we call him grumpy. I think he is convinced I will hit his boat someday, he is probably right.

By the way, Seattle is not such a bad town, keep the name, but do not move here.

#19 alx

alx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:46 AM

I agree too, actually. But somehow, it just doesn't feel right.

The name I have in mind is Ananda, which translates literally as "bliss". Or, more colorfully, "that joy in existence without which the universe will fall apart and collapse," a definition from one of my favorite childhood sci-fi books.

I'm definitely open to opinions or suggestions, though!

#20 alx

alx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:32 AM

Carry on Skipper...and welcome aboard!

Edit....BTW...I remember that boat...Did you have it surveyed and sound the hull,and tap every square foot of the underbody....or did the previous owner do any core repairs?

Yes, I had her fully surveyed before I bought her. I don't know if the previous owner did any core repairs, but she's solid. No delamination that we could find.

#21 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:12 AM

Yes floating dutchman the picks that are required:

Attached File  tits.jpg   82.94K   164 downloads

fixed

Thank's. see not so difficult.

There has been some issues on this forum with twits making out they are someone they are not. The timing and content of your first post ticked all the boxes for you to be the return on one of these twits. I believe you are genuine.

This is a good place to learn from some very experienced people, We enjoy a laugh and a bit of banter, its the nature of sailing anarchy.

You want to sort out those lower life lines, having them missing is making the top ones a false sense of security.

And motor work? Impeller, zinc's, oil old and hoses etc are just normal stuff. Any more serious issues?

FD

#22 Paps

Paps

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,014 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:42 AM

Well Alx, I apologize for my barn mates rudeness, how unbecoming. I myself would never be so crude or uncouth! Welcome to the Zoo.

#23 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,763 posts
  • Interests:~~/)/)~~

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:21 AM

Wow, I didn't realize people did that sort of thing! I'm happy to verify (but sorry, floating dutchman, the clothes are staying on ^_^).

So, here's me on my J-30 from today. As you can see, she's currently named Chanson, with a hailing port of Seattle, Washington. The guy I bought it from liked the attention he got from having Seattle on a boat here in SF. I'll be changing that, and the name as well (yeah, I know...).

I don't think I'll be doing much racing, at least for a year or two while I get some experience. My main interest is day sailing and weekend overnight trips to local destinations - Angel Island, Sausalito, etc.

As for her seaworthiness, currently her engine needs a little attention, and I have things like new lifelines, etc that I want to get done before I'll feel comfortable taking her out, especially with anyone else aboard.

Fuck off and show us anyone else's tits!

(Can't believe the other guys screwed up your welcome so bad.)

#24 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,913 posts
  • Interests:Hallberg-Rassy 53 "Evenstar"

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:46 AM

Chanson probably works for her, J30 is a nice boat. I only renamed boats when the name didn't fit the boat or it bugged me a lot.

Current boat was named Iphigenia which sounds like something you need a prescription from an OB/Gyn to get rid of.

Further exploration revealed it as Agamemnon's daughter (which explained the ugly mask on the wall) whom he sacrificed to get wind so he could sail off to war with the Trojans which is just awful. Depending on the story you hear she either was sacrificed (an ignominious ending to a horrid story) or they managed to substitute a cow to sacrifice in her stead and fooled her father, which does not speak volumes about her beauty IMHO. So not only was it an ugly name but I didn't like any of the connotations for the story behind it.

#25 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,913 posts
  • Interests:Hallberg-Rassy 53 "Evenstar"

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:47 AM

Fuck off and show us anyone else's tits!

(Can't believe the other guys screwed up your welcome so bad.)

Tom...be really careful with that anyone, OK?

#26 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:56 AM

Welcome, Alex.

#27 bmiller

bmiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:24 PM

The name I have in mind is Ananda, which translates literally as "bliss". Or, more colorfully, "that joy in existence without which the universe will fall apart and collapse," a definition from one of my favorite childhood sci-fi books.

How about Fonsust?

And welcome!

#28 Beau.Vrolyk

Beau.Vrolyk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts
  • Interests:Sailing on any and everything that floats. Skiing when the rainfall turns semi-solid and white.

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:58 PM

Alex,

Welcome aboard. You'll figure out who is who after a while and realize that there are a lot of us in your neighborhood. Wave and throw free beers as we sail by and we'll never leave you alone.

BV

#29 hard aground

hard aground

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:09 PM

Cheers Alex. J30 is a great boat, especially if it's dry. It will teach you tons.

#30 alx

alx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:21 PM

Haha, trust me, the top lifelines don't offer any illusion of security either. They're quite obviously rusted through in a few places, and not even connected on the starboard side, just wrapped around the stanchions. Which aren't even screwed in at their bases, actually.

As for the motor, yeah, impeller, zincs, hoses, etc. There's also a cracked exhaust manifold which someone repaired using J-weld that I'm replacing. I'm also having the mechanic put in a connection for a freshwater hose so I can run the engine on that and flush it out at the dock.

And B.J. Porter, one of the boats I looked at had a Hawaiian name that the owner proudly told me meant "Big Shit". Unbeknownst to him, I'd asked my Hawaiian linguist friend about it earlier, and the name actually meant "the greatest material that fishermen use to bind their nets."

#31 Jose Carumba

Jose Carumba

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:44 PM

Welcome Alex. Nice boat. You'll find a lot of helpful people here.

#32 deadbeatracer

deadbeatracer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:18 PM

Congrats on the purchase! We had a J30 and it was a great boat. One peice of advise, replace the main halyard, even if it looks good. I didnt and with the frac rig it cost a lot to have the boat yard run the new one.

#33 alx

alx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:24 PM

Congrats on the purchase! We had a J30 and it was a great boat. One peice of advise, replace the main halyard, even if it looks good. I didnt and with the frac rig it cost a lot to have the boat yard run the new one.

It actually doesn't look that good :)

Planning on replacing all the running rigging.

#34 deadbeatracer

deadbeatracer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:39 PM

Don't wait! Ours looked pretty bad so I ordered all new running rigging. Went sailing while we waited, it broke. Then a $200 dollar halyard cost 350 to install. And Had to spend a day getting to and from the boat yard. Total PITA!

#35 slap

slap

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:56 PM

I've always thought that "Passing Wind" would be a good name.

#36 arcpix

arcpix

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:39 AM

Excellent, congrats and good luck. We are on the verge of pulling the trigger on a J 30 ourselves. Welcome to the insanity of sailboat ownership. Nothing ( cept being with my Queen) better!!!

#37 steele

steele

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:10 AM

Based on your plan to T in a connection for flushing I assume your motor is raw water cooled. I do not know how a J 30 is set up, but as a salt water sailor you might want to research if there is a reasonable way to add a heat exchanger and separate cooling circuit. This would be a good idea if the engine is otherwise in good condition and your are keeping the boat for a long while. My boat's original motor was old but very well maintained, eventually the raw water cooling resulted in enough corrosion that it could no longer be flushed and overheated. The PO had to re-power.

#38 Cruisin Loser

Cruisin Loser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,639 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, rock climbing, skiing, steatopygia, stuff

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:57 AM

Your avatar looks disturbingly like a labrador about to bestow a slobbery smooch. If you can get an attractive girl for a similar pic, it will look a lot better. Welcome.

#39 alx

alx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:12 AM

Your avatar looks disturbingly like a labrador about to bestow a slobbery smooch. If you can get an attractive girl for a similar pic, it will look a lot better. Welcome.

Haha! I took the picture as a fun attempt to mimic this meme. It is kind of freaky without that context though. I'll have to pick something more normal looking.

Attached Files

#40 the_abandoned_brane

the_abandoned_brane

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:52 AM

I find your avatar creepy. its like youre watching porn or something. :blink:

#41 Dale dug a hole

Dale dug a hole

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts
  • Interests:Digging holes

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:40 AM

I've always thought that "Passing Wind" would be a good name.

Used to deal with a company called "Beaver Winds" I used to refer to it as "Fanny Farts"

PS. Have fun Alx, enjoy watching the bank balance go down :P

#42 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,763 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:27 AM

I'm also having the mechanic put in a connection for a freshwater hose so I can run the engine on that and flush it out at the dock.

Careful doing that. If you pressurize the intake side of an impeller it can fold a blade backward, possibly breaking it. They're made to suck (as in inhale, not break at the worst possible time, though both can apply), not resist pressure.

One solution I liked was to use a bucket or the galley sink and gravity as the supply, not pressurized water from the dock.

#43 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,763 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:31 AM

Based on your plan to T in a connection for flushing I assume your motor is raw water cooled. I do not know how a J 30 is set up, but as a salt water sailor you might want to research if there is a reasonable way to add a heat exchanger and separate cooling circuit. This would be a good idea if the engine is otherwise in good condition and your are keeping the boat for a long while. My boat's original motor was old but very well maintained, eventually the raw water cooling resulted in enough corrosion that it could no longer be flushed and overheated. The PO had to re-power.

Do you know which part(s) clogged/failed?

My opinion is that fresh water cooling is a handy way to hook up a water heater, but otherwise more trouble than solution. Heat exchangers clog, those metal impellers that circulate the coolant fail, more places to leak, and the real culprit in most cases, the exhaust mixing elbow, is still there.

#44 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:49 AM

With that avatar, the boat name must be "Wax the dolphin."

#45 Cruisin Loser

Cruisin Loser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,639 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, rock climbing, skiing, steatopygia, stuff

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:21 PM

I find your avatar creepy. its like youre watching porn or something. :blink:

With that avatar, the boat name must be "Wax the dolphin."

Umm, no. According to Green Day he would be squinting and biting his lower lip.

#46 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,690 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:35 PM

Haha! I took the picture as a fun attempt to mimic this meme. It is kind of freaky without that context though. I'll have to pick something more normal looking.

FWIW Alx, I was greeted the exact same way: The established members thought I was a sockpuppet of a troublemaker, one who still rears his head around here sometimes, so don't take it personally. New blood is what keeps things fresh and interesting, so stick around.

I don't recall many people dropping in with a J30 as their first boat, so post lots of pics. It'll be an interesting journey.

#47 sailglobal

sailglobal

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:46 PM

Alx, it's probably a good idea to obtain your engine manufacturer's recommendation, because flushing with pressurized fresh water may not be necessary and may not alleviate any problems already existing. If you wish to eliminate small amounts of salt water buildup in the seawater side of the heat exchanger it will help if you flush it with diluted 'CLR' - from your hardware store (Home Depot carries it). Rig up a circulation system and run the engine for a short time, let it sit for 30 minutes and run it again for a short time, as you don't want to overheat the exhaust because there's no water being injected at the mixer. You could actually inject low pressure fresh water from the dock to the exhaust mixer elbow if you feel the need, but only turn on the fresh after the engine starts and before you turn it off so as not to inject water into the engine through the exhaust manifold. Ref the CLR, I'm referring to the salt water side, not the fresh water system.
If the engine isn't very worn (engine hrs?) you shouldn't need to do any of this

#48 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:02 PM

alx

one thing you need to realize is that most of these sods are old farts who don't know what a 'meme' is other than that maybe you spelled 'memo' wrong.

so, for you sorry lot here's what the young punk was talking about:

http://www.quickmeme...riend/?upcoming

#49 alx

alx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:05 PM

I'm also having the mechanic put in a connection for a freshwater hose so I can run the engine on that and flush it out at the dock.

Careful doing that. If you pressurize the intake side of an impeller it can fold a blade backward, possibly breaking it. They're made to suck (as in inhale, not break at the worst possible time, though both can apply), not resist pressure.

One solution I liked was to use a bucket or the galley sink and gravity as the supply, not pressurized water from the dock.

Yeah, I know I need to be careful about pressurizing the intake. I've heard that one way to avoid this is by leaving the seacock open. That way, any excess pressure just blows out, and the engine sucks what it needs. However, I like the hose-and-bucket solution better, so that's what I'm going with.

I've never heard of CLR, though... I'll look into that.

As for problems with the raw water intake itself, I'm not sure whether the impeller is just corroded and ineffective, or if there's a clog of some sort in the mixing elbow (or both). I'll probably end up replacing both just to be on the safe side.

As for the hours, there's no meter, but the condition of the zinc should give me a good idea of how much use it's seen.

#50 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,690 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:13 PM

Why pressurize the fresh water flush at all? Just run a hose to the open top of the raw water strainer and let the engine drink naturally as it runs.

#51 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,964 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:47 PM

Hi Alex. I'd apologize for those other guys but they are always like that. Enjoy your new ride.
See if you can find a musician for your avatar. You are young, maybe a pic of M. Ward.
I've sailed the J30 and I thought it was a great boat.

#52 Timo42

Timo42

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,813 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:50 PM

alx

one thing you need to realize is that most of these sods are old farts who don't know what a 'meme' is other than that maybe you spelled 'memo' wrong.

Eh, speak for yourself Sonny, and stay off of my lawn. :P

#53 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,763 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:06 PM

Why pressurize the fresh water flush at all? Just run a hose to the open top of the raw water strainer and let the engine drink naturally as it runs.

That's basically a variation of the bucket method, just using the strainer as a bucket. It's a bit more likely to wind up with some fresh water splashing around the engine room and because the outlets tend to be at the top care must be taken to avoid letting it suck air. A little won't hurt much but it doesn't take a dry impeller all that long to melt.

#54 Ryley

Ryley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Photography, Sailing, Mountain Biking.. did I mention sailing?

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:27 PM

Pretty good photoshop job.

Just kidding - enjoy the boat. you'll have a blast with the J30. +1 on everyone who told you not to pressurize the water, just drink it through a bucket. Same goes for winterizing it with the antifreeze, if you have to do that where you live.

Enjoy sailing that puppy - they point well and are definitely great fun in a breeze. don't know how easy they are to single-hand, but with a boat like that you'll make lots of friends

#55 alx

alx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:26 AM

So, I've been thinking about something and I'd love some more knowledgeable opinions.

The winches (particularly, the sheet winches) on Chanson are in pretty bad shape, and I really wanted self-tailing for ease of single-handing. So, I opted to replace them. But to what size? I consulted the Lewmar sizing chart. Since my boat is 30', I opted to be conservative and use this category. The chart suggests that a size 40 winch is ideal in that case. I found a good deal on a pair of ST-45s, and so I figured that a little extra wouldn't hurt, and pulled the trigger.

However, the existing winches are size 25. Will 45s just be ridiculous on a boat this size? I know they'll certainly have enough power to tear the sail apart, and I'll have to be a little careful because of that... is there any other reason why I should reconsider and opt for a smaller model?

#56 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,763 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:37 AM

If the bases will still fit where needed, there's no such thing as too big. I've never found myself wishing for a smaller, weaker winch.

#57 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,954 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:39 AM

So, I've been thinking about something and I'd love some more knowledgeable opinions.

The winches (particularly, the sheet winches) on Chanson are in pretty bad shape, and I really wanted self-tailing for ease of single-handing. So, I opted to replace them. But to what size? I consulted the Lewmar sizing chart. Since my boat is 30', I opted to be conservative and use this category. The chart suggests that a size 40 winch is ideal in that case. I found a good deal on a pair of ST-45s, and so I figured that a little extra wouldn't hurt, and pulled the trigger.

However, the existing winches are size 25. Will 45s just be ridiculous on a boat this size? I know they'll certainly have enough power to tear the sail apart, and I'll have to be a little careful because of that... is there any other reason why I should reconsider and opt for a smaller model?

You will not regret having bigger winches. You can't be too rich, or have too big a winch.

As for "tearing the sail apart" the person(s) working the sheets should be paying attention to what they're doing!

The biggest issue I see is placing them so that the sheet leads fair, and building appropriate reinforcing under the deck where you bolt them thru.

FB- Doug

#58 goob

goob

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:43 AM

about the motor, raw water cooling in salt is tough on them. I had a Volvo MD 7A that was about 30 years old. It would overheat when run for more than a couple hours. Look at Salt a Way, and put a flushing T in the raw water intake, I eventually pulled the head and about half of the water passages were plugged. I cleared them and it helped a bit. what really helped was a new Beta 16!

#59 Slick470

Slick470

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:51 AM

My guess is that you have barient or barlow winches now? The sizing is different. A 25 is comprable to a Lewmar 40. So a 45 wouldn't be that much bigger and probably will be better anyway.

We have a 30 footer too and have 45st winches. They are just fine.

#60 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:21 AM

Don't.

If the winches don't work properly pull them apart and service them. 80% of problems go away after things have been serviced, just like the the manufacture says. If maintenance doesn't fix the issues then look at replacement. those winches have been on that boat for the last 20 (or whatever) years if they have worked this long they will do you for another couple of years at least.
You have nothing to lose servicing them, And you are better to learn how to maintain stuff with things you want to replace anyway, in case you muff it up. But you won't.

You are new to boat owner-ship. Trust me, Boats have a good way of emptying your wallet. Fix those lifelines and sort that engine and replace that halyard and get out and use that the fucking boat. The boat will find things for you to spend money on!

There is a boat here that the owner spent 2.5k on wind instruments because he didn't know much about sailing and thought it would help him to know when he needed to reef. He owned the boat for 3+ years and sailed it about four times. If he had taken 2.5k in time off work and spent the time sailing the dam boat he wouldn't need the CUTM (crap up the mast) and would probably be enjoying the boat now instead of having it on the market.

Point is. Fix what needs fixing and use the boat. It's not until you use the boat that you realize what is important and what you just "want".

#61 Jose Carumba

Jose Carumba

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:30 PM

I would agree that servicing the winches first is a good idea. The winches on my little Cal 20 were in poor shape when I bought the boat. Degreasing, cleaning, and then regreasing them worked wonders. I replaced the pawls and springs when I did it because I figured it couldn't hurt and the price was reasonable compared to new winches. There are several sites on the web with information on the old Barients & Barlows which will be helpful.

#62 steele

steele

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:37 PM

I agree with fixing what he has first, but he mentioned wanting self tailing winches. I also have a 30 ft boat and last season converted to self tailing lewmar 2 speeds. Overall it helped, but not as much as I thought. I can crank in faster and still hold onto the tiller, but easing the sheets is more involved. Of the upgrades to the sailing gear I have done I would put the new winches below the rigid vang and furler. The new winches have been great for double handing with my wife. She is althletic but small, so having the lower gear and self tailer help her trim, although most of the time she is on the helm.

#63 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:13 PM

n00b, you are totally slacking here. By now you should have flooded this thread with excrutiatingly painful minute details about everything you're doing with the boat.

#64 sculpin

sculpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,002 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Beer, and power tools.

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:50 PM

alx

Umm... Rick, we have a meme... HTFU, Fuck off Newbie, Show us your (girlfriend's) tits!!!

Doesn't get more meme than that!

#65 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,954 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:55 PM

n00b, you are totally slacking here. By now you should have flooded this thread with excrutiatingly painful minute details about everything you're doing with the boat.

and pics of GF/wife/sister s tits

Hey somebody (besides Sculp) has to say it. With this one we may have to repeat it a lot.
Price of admission, n00b

FB- Doug

#66 alx

alx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:19 PM

So, my mechanic is having a little trouble locating parts for the Yanmar 2QM15 engine. Specifically, it seems like the exhaust manifold will be the tricky one to track down. The current one is cracked and has been repaired with J-weld (see picture).

Does anyone know of a used parts dealer in the Bay Area, or any other avenue by which to locate one of these? This engine is quickly becoming a thorn in my side.

In other news, I've now received most of the parts I need to install. And gosh is it hard to get boat yards to give you solid quotes.

Attached Files

#67 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,690 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:36 PM

So, my mechanic is having a little trouble locating parts for the Yanmar 2QM15 engine. Specifically, it seems like the exhaust manifold will be the tricky one to track down. The current one is cracked and has been repaired with J-weld (see picture).

Does anyone know of a used parts dealer in the Bay Area, or any other avenue by which to locate one of these? This engine is quickly becoming a thorn in my side.

In other news, I've now received most of the parts I need to install. And gosh is it hard to get boat yards to give you solid quotes.

Yes, my own research a year ago seemed to indicate that the 2QM is obsolete and hard to find parts for. A re-power may be in your future at some point. I wonder what J30 owners typically repower with. You may jump over to J-Anarchy and ask them.

#68 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,197 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:05 PM

https://www.google.c...w=1920&bih=1084

https://www.google.c...w=1920&bih=1084

#69 phantomsailor

phantomsailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Interests:Sailing (of course)
    Sailing electronics, batts, comms, intrumentation
    Ham Radio
    Women
    Drinking
    Drinking with women

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:31 PM

Someone over on Cruiser's forum is parting out a 2QM20 with a cracked block. Says everything else on the engine looks OK. Not sure if the parts will work...

http://www.cruisersf...qm20-90030.html

#70 deadbeatracer

deadbeatracer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:52 AM

Alx. Have you joined the J 30 association yet? Good place to get info and parts. We bought some great used sails when we had our 30 for a very fair price.

#71 WHK

WHK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:45 AM

Alex,

Welcome as a new owner of J/30 hull # 140 ex-Chanson! Please sign up for a forum account on the J/30 Class forum. You'll find the answer to most every question you asked there. PM me for more J/30 details.

#72 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts
  • Interests:MrsBlack, Brigadoon, freedom

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:57 AM

Welcome, Alx.

#73 SayGudday

SayGudday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:24 PM

That's where I bought my first (and only) boat. Had her in the San Rafael marina for about a year b4 sailing her down to SD. A nice place to anchor out overnight is China Camp although it can get a little...uncomfortable (funny story).

#74 歐開倫

歐開倫

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:38 AM

As you can see, she's currently named Chanson, with a hailing port of Seattle, Washington. The guy I bought it from liked the attention he got from having Seattle on a boat here in SF. I'll be changing that, and the name as well (yeah, I know...).

Chanson (French) = Song (English)

Really, that's not a bad name for a boat. Welcome aboard!

You could name here Boxxy. Just sayin'.

#75 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:20 AM

I see the hijacking has started.

Kid, you gotta come back and keep the thread fresh or pretty soon the varmints start moving in and nesting.

#76 alx

alx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:41 AM

Whee, the past couple months have been interesting. Running around like crazy, getting stuck in hurricane Sandy (on land, of course), and in general wishing I had more time to work on Chanson.

Tracking down replacement parts for the old Yanmar has proved difficult, but the end is in sight - I'm purchasing an entire engine which I can either swap in or cannibalize for parts as needed. I think this will be a useful resource to have.

My lifeline repairs are almost done. I've of course so far swaged one span improperly, prompting a re-do, and swaged several toggles to the wrong length wire. However, it's starting to look really nice.

I've acquired my self-tailing winches and will be installing them soon, after I read up some more on properly mounting and sealing them. I also have the new instruments ready to go in as soon as I can get her hauled out, as well as the tiller pilot.

My next project will be the running rigging. Some of what she's currently rigged with doesn't seem to match the standard J/30 equipment, so my next trip up I need to survey exactly what's there.

And finally, in a more exciting and purely indulgent move, I've commissioned Pineapple to make her a new main and 95% jib. The main will go on a Strong Track system I'm installing (instead of the bolt rope the existing one uses), and the jib will go on the MKIV furler that's currently sitting in my apartment, waiting to be installed. The decision to go with new sails is probably more of a luxury than a necessity. Although, I did a visual inspection of the existing main recently and it's definitely seen better days.

All in all, things are starting to come together and I'm really looking forward to the day I can move her to San Francisco with me.

#77 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,197 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:49 AM

Neat! Sounds like your checking off your list one by one.

#78 Spoonie

Spoonie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:35 AM

replace them. But to what size? I consulted the Lewmar sizing chart. Since my boat is 30', I opted to be conservative and use this category. The chart suggests that a size 40 winch is ideal in that case. I found a good deal on a pair of ST-45s, and so I figured that a little extra wouldn't hurt, and pulled the trigger.

Sounds like we're on pretty similar journeys. I bought my 30'er (below) in July. Had the same debate. Ended up with Harken radial 40's I got a good deal on and discovered the previous winches were in vastly different positions on each side so now have epoxy dots all over my deck. I need a repaint anyway so figure it can look ugly while I sail her over the summer...

Posted Image

Looking to fit a facnor 3T wire furler, maybe masteheads etc... and a short sprit for a top down kite furler at some stage. Just trying for the basics now, like a mainsheet/furling system I can actually use ;) I thought I got a pretty good price on her, but every time I inspect or check a fitting, it's another order in at the chandler for a replacement :/ and the Stainless fastners are killing me!

#79 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,964 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:41 AM

Spooner:
That is a sweet looking ride. Have fun with that.

#80 Trickypig

Trickypig

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:00 AM

replace them. But to what size? I consulted the Lewmar sizing chart. Since my boat is 30', I opted to be conservative and use this category. The chart suggests that a size 40 winch is ideal in that case. I found a good deal on a pair of ST-45s, and so I figured that a little extra wouldn't hurt, and pulled the trigger.

Sounds like we're on pretty similar journeys. I bought my 30'er (below) in July. Had the same debate. Ended up with Harken radial 40's I got a good deal on and discovered the previous winches were in vastly different positions on each side so now have epoxy dots all over my deck. I need a repaint anyway so figure it can look ugly while I sail her over the summer...

Posted Image

Looking to fit a facnor 3T wire furler, maybe masteheads etc... and a short sprit for a top down kite furler at some stage. Just trying for the basics now, like a mainsheet/furling system I can actually use ;) I thought I got a pretty good price on her, but every time I inspect or check a fitting, it's another order in at the chandler for a replacement :/ and the Stainless fastners are killing me!

What design is that boat Spoon?

#81 Trickypig

Trickypig

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:07 AM

The exhaust elbow rusting out is only a matter of time with salt water cooled engines. If you spend enough time on the web someone will be making them as an after market part. There are too many of those Yanmars in boats with rusting elbows for that not to happen.

Try a few New Zealand websites, Kiwis make anything. Although they're still trying to get a good wool/epoxy ratio that'll work. ;)

#82 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,286 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:11 AM

It's tough getting a bond with anything soaked in lanolin.

As far as the elbow goes, you can make something very similar using standard iron plumbing parts, according to rumour. I saw a picture of one that had been home-made and it looked pretty reasonable.

#83 Spoonie

Spoonie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:54 AM

Hick IMS 30. Boat sounds like it's in a similar state to Alx's or a bit better perhaps. At least my engine works ;) new boom went on today with single line reefs, moved the sheets, winches, travelor etc... Just hope I can get the better half comfortable spending on the night on her (and going 'offshore'). I'll spend some money getting the accomodation a bit more comfy if she does ;)

Cheers
Craig

#84 Balder

Balder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, and currently trying to configure my career to sail more, may be able to pull it off.

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

You said u were planning on racing. When you do you will regret having the furled on the job and getting rid of the bolt rope on the main. You will be teased mercilessly about new sails set up that way on a J30.

But I also understand that doing that will make things easier (ie use her more) so I understand the choice.

Boats are all about comprise

#85 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:57 PM

Whee,... in general wishing I had more time to work on Chanson.

Chanson? We might need to see a man card here.

Song (translation of Chanson) was on my short list of names, along with Wing. But I like that Quill starts with Q, and no one asks me how to spell it.

#86 Elegua

Elegua

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

How come everyone wants to save J-30s and posts stories about it, but no one ever posts about saving a T10? :(

#87 WHK

WHK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:47 PM

How come everyone wants to save J-30s and posts stories about it, but no one ever posts about saving a T10? :(

Because we care about J/30s! :rolleyes: Actually we have a pretty robust J/30 class with boats scattered around the country. There is very good owner support on the class website and forum.

#88 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:16 PM

I hate to say it but Tarten Ten is one of those boats with an aquired taste. At least a J-30 doesn't look like it's missing anything. :P

Spooner, that boat looks kickass.

#89 alx

alx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:29 PM

You said u were planning on racing. When you do you will regret having the furled on the job and getting rid of the bolt rope on the main. You will be teased mercilessly about new sails set up that way on a J30.

But I also understand that doing that will make things easier (ie use her more) so I understand the choice.

Boats are all about comprise

Right. I don't actually plan on racing, at least for several years. Even then it will probably only be casual, with friends, etc. I have neither the time nor the resources to make a serious commitment to racing my own boat.

I know it's a little unusual to go with a J/30 as a first boat, especially for cruising. I did this for several reasons. JBoats seem to be really solidly built and have a fantastic reputation among everyone I talked to. Friends who've been sailing for years advised me that, as Soñadora says, J/30s actually make great starter boats. And of all the designs I looked at, the J/30 impressed me the most, particularly how it's set up for sailing as opposed to living.

#90 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,964 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:31 PM

J/30's are great boats. They have a great feel and perform very well. This is a good boat for you kid.

#91 Trickypig

Trickypig

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:53 PM

Hick IMS 30. Boat sounds like it's in a similar state to Alx's or a bit better perhaps. At least my engine works ;) new boom went on today with single line reefs, moved the sheets, winches, travelor etc... Just hope I can get the better half comfortable spending on the night on her (and going 'offshore'). I'll spend some money getting the accomodation a bit more comfy if she does ;)

Cheers
Craig

Ah yes! The windows threw me as I think those Hick 30s originally didn't have any..

#92 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:08 PM

Here's a J/30.

Posted Image

And just to freshen up the thread a bit:

Posted Image

#93 WHK

WHK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:27 PM

J/30 Pronto is now called Screamin 'O owned by Scott Brue. A classic J/30 picture if there ever was one.....

#94 Anomaly2

Anomaly2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:59 PM

A classic KD picture if there ever was one.... (or should I say 'a classic KD up in the middle of the night perusing the dark corners of the web find if there ever was one'..... wait, what do I know about your habits, maybe you do this in the middle of the day...)

#95 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,964 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:12 PM

Gee whizz, I could have saved her the cost of those piercings. I would have done them with my teeth for free.
I just can't understand the wisdom of spoiling a perfectly good nipple by putting a hole through it.
Did she think they needed improving?
Why didn't she talk to me?

Oh well, when she gets old she can hang her pants up on bungies to her nipples.

#96 Anomaly2

Anomaly2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:27 AM

Oh well, when she gets old she can hang her pants up on bungies to her nipples.

Jeezus Bob! That's disgusting! KD does all that hard work surfin just to "freshen up the thread" and you go and ruin it with this, now indelible, image. Go to your room! (and don't come out till you've found a new picture to refreshen the thread. Perhaps KD can give you some search tips, he seems to have a real talent for it...)

#97 Elegua

Elegua

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:41 AM

Hmmm...I was thinking the opposite. When she gets older and needs more support, those make good tie rods.

#98 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,964 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:56 PM

bit of 7 by 19 s.s., snap shackle on each end, around the neck, clipped on? Damn good idea Elegua. That'll keep those puppies perky.

#99 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,286 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

Spectra would be kinder.

#100 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,964 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:04 PM

s.s. would be shinier. Maybe a little deerskin anti chafe around the back of the neck.
Maybe a nice big carbon horseshoe for formal occasions.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: introduction, jboat, j30, san francisco

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users