36 replies to this topic

#1 deckersr

deckersr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:19 PM

I went to the Garmin booth at the Newport Boat show and one of the big screens had a big Nexus logo. I did a double take and asked the guy what that was all about. He told me that Garmin bought Nexus as of Friday.

He didn't seem to know too much about how Garmin intends to leverage the technology but the conversation drifted towards the benefits of instrument systems that use a central processor model.

Press release

#2 deckersr

deckersr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:26 PM

On the Chicago Marine Electronics website they have already updated their menu to say "Nexus Marine by Garmin". That was quick.

#3 Black Dog

Black Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:45 PM

I wonder if Jon from JRJ the former Nexus dealer who now works for Garmin had something to do with it?

#4 TwoHeadsAreBetterThanOne

TwoHeadsAreBetterThanOne

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:49 AM

this is probably preferable to the other crowd buying them i guess. perhaps there might be a custom interface soon for nexus instruments to garmin chartplotters
two heads

I went to the Garmin booth at the Newport Boat show and one of the big screens had a big Nexus logo. I did a double take and asked the guy what that was all about. He told me that Garmin bought Nexus as of Friday.

He didn't seem to know too much about how Garmin intends to leverage the technology but the conversation drifted towards the benefits of instrument systems that use a central processor model.

Press release

#5 Mogle

Mogle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:Shorthanded Sailing
    Offshore racing
    RORC
    Long distance Cruising

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:18 PM

Not good! Garmin is on of the brands I really dislike. Had a few of there products - everytime it have been a bad investment.

There will no be Garmin products on my yacht! If Garmin have taken over Nexus - I got a few Nexus instruments for sale.

#6 Tucky

Tucky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:39 PM

Not good! Garmin is on of the brands I really dislike. Had a few of there products - everytime it have been a bad investment.

There will no be Garmin products on my yacht! If Garmin have taken over Nexus - I got a few Nexus instruments for sale.

I had the same thought when Raymarine bought Tacktick, but they have done well on the support side for me. Sometimes a manufacturer is trying to learn a market and gets better. Garmin is one of the few companies in the marine market that is a much bigger company in other markets. I suspect they are seeing the market for non marine gps devices shrinking as so many people move to their phone for their cars, hiking, etc. The marine market may look better to them now and they may improve.

#7 Mogle

Mogle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
    Offshore racing
    RORC
    Long distance Cruising

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:22 PM

Thank you for the support!

It will be interesting to see if they keep Nexus as a separate business unit or chang it / merge it with on of there product lines. It would interesting to find out why it was sold?

I purchased Nexus as a alternative to B&G. Now I know it was a mistake. Garmin got a few interesting products but they can never be a true competitor to B&G. Nexus could!

#8 Ringmaster

Ringmaster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  • Interests:Racing on the Chesapeake.
    Chartering in the BVIs
    O Gauge trains in the winter.

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:57 AM

I find some of the replies interesting. Most people's experience with Garmin includes products that work and great customer service. Most people's experience with B&G is expensive product that never works.

#9 henry the navigator

henry the navigator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:23 PM

I find some of the replies interesting. Most people's experience with Garmin includes products that work and great customer service. Most people's experience with B&G is expensive product that never works.

Never is such a strong word...

#10 eliboat

eliboat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:26 PM

B&G rep is pretty bad. The stuff is nice when it works, but often enough it doesn't. There needs to be more players in this market, and hopefully garmin cash will used well in improving an already decent product, or making garmins instrument offerings more appealing. My experience with Garmin has been good, and they have done a good job updating their products over the years, always improving the user interface from generation to generation.

#11 Soley

Soley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts
  • Interests:Take a guess. It ain't too hard.....

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:46 PM

Has B&G not improved since being owned by Simrad?

#12 Mogle

Mogle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
    Offshore racing
    RORC
    Long distance Cruising

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:11 PM

Let’s get back to the original post. Garmin buys Nexus.

I think it is a very good move by Garmin – I am more sceptical to Nexus future with Garmin as owner. I got a software industry background and too often an excellent product have been purchased just to get a long a painful death! Hopefully it will be different for Nexus and their product range.

It would be good with a forward looking statement from one of the key individual at Nexus? Will Dean Barker and his team still going to be part of the new unit? Or have they taken their money and “gone sailing”? Is development of Nexus still going to be based in Sweden? Long term we can expect some integrations between the two product lines. Nexus is short of chart plotters, radars and a few other bits. When can Nexus customers start the see any benefits from the takeover?

I liked Nexus - they had some great products - and they where small unit.

My interest here is simple. I am a Nexus customer.

#13 deckersr

deckersr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:10 AM

I think this is a potentially better situation than the typical software company deal. I would be curious about the market share of Garmin instruments compared to Nexus instruments. Raymarine seems to have the market for instruments in new boats. When a new boat buyer has to select a gps, it is an easy sell for Raymarine.

I think the backing of a large company like Garmin will make Nexus a more attractive option for new boat buyers and then Garmin gains the tie in to their gps business.

#14 diggler

diggler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:34 AM

If this finally means a half decent instrument system that can handle a rotating mast AND talk NMEA 2000 I will be stoked.

#15 inspired

inspired

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:23 AM

Here is a link to kiwi yachting's press release data september 21.

http://www.kiwiyacht...-nexus®-marine

#16 henry the navigator

henry the navigator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:52 AM

+1

#17 Moonduster

Moonduster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:29 PM

My guess is that this is all about brand. Garmin realizes that their own brand doesn't mean shit in the world of yacht instruments. The Nexus brand is pretty well positioned and ought to let Garmin make a segue into the club racer and cruising instrumentation market. Integrating well with other Garmin products, especially auto pilots, chart plotters and radar that might get the Nexus branding, lets Garmin fend off Raymarine's top-end and B&G and NKE's lower-end racing customers.

Garmin also brings substantial R&D resources and could choose to drive the Nexus brand right over the top of B&G and NKE at the high end.

#18 artsimons

artsimons

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:15 PM

Heard very positive things about the Nexus / Garmin relationship from both camps at Mets (Europe's biggest marine equipment show). Nexus will continue and Garmin are going to use their office as an R&D sailing facility, with an eye on new products - both traditional instruments and mobile GPS solutions. All the previous Nexus staff are there and they are going to continue on with their existing distributor network - except in The States where Garmin take over sales.

#19 Mogle

Mogle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
    Offshore racing
    RORC
    Long distance Cruising

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:44 PM

Good news.

I think the dealer network in UK have changed too. In the past Allspars was the only reseller, they gave the impression that they had an import status for United Kingdom. Nexus list of dealers are now 20+ according to their web site. I assume Garmin Marine dealer are included.

#20 Mogle

Mogle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
    Offshore racing
    RORC
    Long distance Cruising

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:58 AM

Any news on the integration between Garmin and Nexus? Product updates? News?

I find the acquisition of Nexus a good move by Garmin. As a existing Nexus customer it feels like a deaths sentence. Looking back - it all sound very strange. No news from any of the players.

#21 goblew

goblew

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:01 PM

I went through some support issues with my Nexus autopilot.  Garmin has taken over support.  They appear to be trying to provide better support, but lack a lot of necessary product knowledge that will only come with experience I suspect. 

#22 radicalmove

radicalmove

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:22 PM

Actually, goblew, the person at Garmin that is sort of running the garmin-nexus integration used to work for nexus.

And he is very familiar with how all the Nexus stuff works, and how best to integrate the 2.

Garmin is a huge company so a lot of stuff has not filtered down.  In fact, new pricing on the nexus stuff

was just released last week and not all of it made it to their distributors let alone retail outlets or to customers. 

Give it a chance to work.  I am sure it will get better pretty quickly now.

#23 evenflow

evenflow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:29 PM

All I want is a NMEA 2000 wireless wind unit... hopefully Garmin can exercise Nexus' hideous lack of open networking...

#24 jarcher

jarcher

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:20 AM

All I want is a NMEA 2000 wireless wind unit... hopefully Garmin can exercise Nexus' hideous lack of open networking...

You realize that the Nexus network bus predates NMEA 2000 by a pretty good margin?

#25 evenflow

evenflow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:04 AM

You realize that the Nexus network bus predates NMEA 2000 by a pretty good margin?

Yes, I have been follwing the Nexus line for a while.  The key bit above was "open networking"... to get that lovely wireless Nexus wind unit to work with my current N2K network, I have to buy a server and it only communicates with the outside world via NEMA0183, which is at this point is the stone age, then you'd have to convert 0183 to N2K... which... well why bother right, buy the time you do all of that, you can put an Airmar PB200, which while not wireless... would be better.

I should add... I do enjoy www.panbo.com

#26 Mogle

Mogle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
    Offshore racing
    RORC
    Long distance Cruising

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:35 AM

I think it is about time that Garmin releases some facts regarding their plan with the Nexus product line. As an existing Nexus Marine customer it would be good to have some hard facts or guidelines.

Asking around at Garmin's stand and Southampton boat show is just waste of time. It is very disrespectful what Garmin have done. The Garmin management must be "plain simple stupid" if they think existing Nexus customer would purchase any Garmin products based on what we have experienced with the acquisition. 

#27 jarcher

jarcher

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:25 PM

There is a plan and the plan is being executed. You'll see some changes fairly soon, both in North America and elsewhere. They are already starting to integrate the Garmin and Nexus stuff, with some guides here:

http://www.nexusmari...us-connections/

This includes enhancements to the Race Box to support the 19x and the ORC MoB requirement. 

There will be some new pricing coming soon, and things will pick up after that.

Keep in mind that nothing happens overnight, especially with a big company.

BTW, this is not an official Garmin statement, just me running my mouth. 

#28 C Dub

C Dub

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:25 PM

Garmin has a pretty good reputation in the aviation industry.....hopefully they'll get this integration sorted out.

#29 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:51 PM

I would love to see Garmin/Nexus come out with a MUX or integrated server that could fuse AIS and other data.    Right now I am using a Brookstone MUX with a Lowrance plotter, and the combo is pretty flakey.

And if anyone from Nexus or Garmin is reading this, I would like to see their plotters and other gear correctly show and alarm MOB targets generated from personal SRS units like the Kannand Safelink R10.     Right now I don't think ANY piece of gear correctly interprets the MMSI codes (97xxxxxxxxxxx) from these gizmos.

#30 jarcher

jarcher

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:45 PM

And if anyone from Nexus or Garmin is reading this, I would like to see their plotters and other gear correctly show and alarm MOB targets generated from personal SRS units like the Kannand Safelink R10.     Right now I don't think ANY piece of gear correctly interprets the MMSI codes (97xxxxxxxxxxx) from these gizmos.

Interesting, let me look into that...

#31 goblew

goblew

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:40 PM

Maybe so.  All I can say is what I experienced.  As I said, they did seem to be trying..

Actually, goblew, the person at Garmin that is sort of running the garmin-nexus integration used to work for nexus.

And he is very familiar with how all the Nexus stuff works, and how best to integrate the 2.

Garmin is a huge company so a lot of stuff has not filtered down.  In fact, new pricing on the nexus stuff

was just released last week and not all of it made it to their distributors let alone retail outlets or to customers. 

Give it a chance to work.  I am sure it will get better pretty quickly now.

#32 Mogle

Mogle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
    Offshore racing
    RORC
    Long distance Cruising

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:50 AM

There is a plan and the plan is being executed. You'll see some changes fairly soon, both in North America and elsewhere. They are already starting to integrate the Garmin and Nexus stuff, with some guides here:

http://www.nexusmari...us-connections/

This includes enhancements to the Race Box to support the 19x and the ORC MoB requirement. 

There will be some new pricing coming soon, and things will pick up after that.

Keep in mind that nothing happens overnight, especially with a big company.

BTW, this is not an official Garmin statement, just me running my mouth. 

Thank you!

If you got connections with Garmin can you please stat that it would be good if the company could post some statements. I am aware of Nexus customers thinking of replacing all Nexus gear (I am one of them). The company who sold and installed my Nexus gear will currently not sell or recommend Nexus.

#33 Slick470

Slick470

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:47 PM

Nexus has on my short list for when I upgrade instruments, but the Garmin question has me concerned. Not that I have a problem with Garmin, but that I haven't seen anything from Garmin about the product line. It's buried on their website and doesn't come up as an option when you look at marine instruments. (of course that part of the Garmin site is abysmal anyway)

So, if you do have a in at Garmin, please tell them that they may lose a sale or two unless they put something useful out there to the consumers. And yes I fully recognize that the sailing market is a tiny percentage of their product market so it probably doesn't make any difference, but still.

#34 MidPack

MidPack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:02 PM

Wow. I've owned and used about a half dozen Garmin GPSs (all but one marine) and they've all worked flawlessly. What kind of issues have you had?

#35 jarcher

jarcher

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:44 PM

I have to run out the door, but I just wanted to quickly say I'll pass this along, but also, Nexus is not going away. From what I see Garmin is committed to it, has put resources on it and is doing stuff. Good things are coming. There is no reason not to buy Nexus I can see.

#36 Mark Morwood

Mark Morwood

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Interests:Catana 48
    "Por Dos"

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:15 AM

I would love to see Garmin/Nexus come out with a MUX or integrated server that could fuse AIS and other data.    Right now I am using a Brookstone MUX with a Lowrance plotter, and the combo is pretty flakey.

Just curious. What is Garmin doing incorrectly in the display of AIS MOBs? I have a Garmin 5212 chartplotter and it displays alerts from the R10's I have in our inflatable jackets (at least when I try test mode on the R10). There was a software update about a year ago (maybe more) that added the support.

Panbo also seems to think they did it OK - http://www.panbo.com...n_nails_it.html

Mark.

#37 Red Viking

Red Viking

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:02 PM

Good news http://buy.garmin.co...prod144123.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users