• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sebyseb

Sebyseb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Interests:Rhum, roots reggae, chicks and not breaking boats.

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:01 PM

As I am planning a lot more solo in my program next year, I am thinking of getting rid of my basic Simrad pilot for a nice NKE gyro.

Current instruments are from Brooks (H3000) with an ACP1 processor and Deckman navigation system, and while NKE tells me I just need an NMEA interface, other voices tells me NKE+B&G won't work together.

Any experience and feedback on this?

I really am a dummy at electronics/computer stuff, so please be kind on acronyms and technical stuff...

Thanks!

#2 BobC

BobC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:40 PM

The nke GyroPilot 2 will work with NMEA input from your B&G H3000 system for wind steering but it is not going to be optimal. You do not need a separate NMEA interface, the nke GyroGraphic pilot display serves double duty as an NMEA in port as well as a pilot control / instrument display..

Steering to heading with the nke Regatta Compass will be exceptional but when you drag the already slow B&G wind updates through the molasses of NMEA you will have an workable system but it could be much better.

You mention a SImrad pilot and an ACP1 procesor, do you already have two pilots on the boat?

Feel free to PM me through the site if you want more detail.

#3 Sebyseb

Sebyseb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:07 PM

Thanks for the input Bob.

One pilot only, the Simrad is the "arm" connected to the rudder, the system is ACP1.

I understand that the discrepancy in information and communication will be more critical as the wind and the sea build -up, where it's pretty much when you need optimal steering.

Going for the full NKE system would be the best solution and the Figaro racers I met wouldn't go for anything else, but it's a bit sad and expensive to bin an otherwise good system before writing another big check.

I looked at the Brooks stuff which is priced similarly to NKE for lesser performance, so it's a hard choice, especially that the Deckman stuff is specially fit for Brooks. It seems a rather deep rabbit hole there...

#4 Miles

Miles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:21 PM

What compass do you have on this system, my guess would be the little blue Halcyon 2000, if that is the case the biggest difference you could make to sailing with the autopilot would be to fit a Halcyon Gyro Compass (KVH) directly into the ACP. This will improve your pilots performance more dramatically than any other change you make, and IMO be the best investment you could make. This is the still the most common compass in the IMOCA60 fleet by some way, and there is a simple reason, it is still the best for the price.

You should probably be aware that not one of the new build Open60s for the Vendee Globe has fitted an NKE Pilot, and more and more of the Class40s in Europe are fitting B&G H3000. The Fiagro sailors have little choice, it is in the Class rules that NKE pilots are fitted.

A couple of the older generation boats Open60s have fitted the NKE Gyropilot as a third pilot, exactly as you are describing, by taking NMEA from the B&G H3000 processor. I would suggest that if it is good enough for an Open60 then it will work for you.

Don't let been fooled into thinking higher sampling rates = higher performance, it is a very small component in getting reliable and accurate data into a system.

One other thing would be to get your local dealer to check you have the latest software versions running on your pilot and H3000.

H3000 - R2.02
ACP - R2.03
GPD (Pilot Display) - R1.08

#5 Sebyseb

Sebyseb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:27 PM

Thanks for the info Miles,

Yes, it is the H2000 and apparently, the Halcyon upgrade over fluxgate offers faster calculation and improves overall instrument performance.

I am waiting for a quote from B&G France on this and will ask the dealer who installed the previous system on the software used and necessary upgrade.

#6 NewLeaf

NewLeaf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts
  • Interests:Woof! Woof!

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:34 AM

Miles, have you guys fixed the tacking, sail to polar, down wind performance and the pilot going to OFF in the new release of 2.03?Also can you tell us what is the difference ins the 1.08 you guys release last year and the one you released this year? the checksums do not match so something changed...thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users