19 replies to this topic

#1 K9u20

K9u20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:20 PM

How happy would I be sailing a Viper 830 in some coastal ocean racing ? I have sailed the same area in a Melges 24 (12 to 15 kts of wind - 3 foot seas) and felt comfortable with it although we had very limited upwind sailing. Would probably never be more than 5 miles offshore. Competition is J-105, Tripp 33, Trip 40, Beneteau 36.7, Evelyn 32, Soverel 33 and some others. This thing isn't going to break in half out there is it ?

#2 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:36 PM

How happy would I be sailing a Viper 830 in some coastal ocean racing ? I have sailed the same area in a Melges 24 (12 to 15 kts of wind - 3 foot seas) and felt comfortable with it although we had very limited upwind sailing. Would probably never be more than 5 miles offshore. Competition is J-105, Tripp 33, Trip 40, Beneteau 36.7, Evelyn 32, Soverel 33 and some others. This thing isn't going to break in half out there is it ?

It will be just fine - no worries

#3 Tejano

Tejano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, sailing, more sailing.

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:06 AM

Rented Mule was always a hoot offshore...wouldnt want be onboard in 20+

#4 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:21 AM

Rented Mule was always a hoot offshore...wouldnt want be onboard in 20+

Me thinks you are a pussy..........................

#5 Tejano

Tejano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:46 PM

Yes. An alive vagina, I might add.

#6 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:53 PM

Thought about taking mine offshore in about 2001 - popped a hole throught he hull to install a sensor. Took one look a the lam and decided against it.

Two years ago the mule boys did harvest moon. Conditions were more dramatic than what you are describing but from all reports they ducked into a port half-way down. Rumor has it they were ready to give the thing away - and those boys are pretty hard core.

Great boat for protected water or lake sailing.

ok, i'm also a P....

#7 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:31 PM

Thought about taking mine offshore in about 2001 - popped a hole throught he hull to install a sensor. Took one look a the lam and decided against it.

Two years ago the mule boys did harvest moon. Conditions were more dramatic than what you are describing but from all reports they ducked into a port half-way down. Rumor has it they were ready to give the thing away - and those boys are pretty hard core.

ok, i'm also a P....

ok, i'm also a P....

That doesn't sound like Brian..............

#8 Tejano

Tejano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:45 PM

ok, i'm also a P....

ok, i'm also a P....

That doesn't sound like Brian..............

You calling Ultra a LIAR? Them's fighting words down this neck of the woods, pardnor :o

#9 Kmag

Kmag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Surfing, Snowboarding

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:50 PM

Actually it is PERFECT for coastal racing.. Just do not go upwind (who wants to do that anyways). I won plenty of coastal races in one of the OG 830's in the 1990's. 20kts is fun in it. Go Fast!

#10 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:53 PM

Actually it is PERFECT for coastal racing.. Just do not go upwind (who wants to do that anyways). I won plenty of coastal races in one of the OG 830's in the 1990's. 20kts is fun in it. Go Fast!

Xcactly!

#11 Rented Mule

Rented Mule

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:05 PM

ok, i'm also a P....

Definitely didn't bail out halfway. 120 miles upwind in big wind and big seas. Worst trip ever but the boat did fine. There was a lot of damage that weekend, but none of it done to the Mule.

#12 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:52 PM

Sorry - thought you guys ducked into freeport for a rest.

I was on the 43, probably one of the more comfortable rides that week - but was still hating life.

ok, i'm also a P....

Definitely didn't bail out halfway. 120 miles upwind in big wind and big seas. Worst trip ever but the boat did fine. There was a lot of damage that weekend, but none of it done to the Mule.

#13 Mike in CT

Mike in CT

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:27 PM

make a cover for the hatch so the waves don't go directly into the boat and you should be OK.

Christian/Mule have you guys changed anything about the cockpit floor hatch to keep that dryer?

#14 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:04 AM

make a cover for the hatch so the waves don't go directly into the boat and you should be OK.

Christian/Mule have you guys changed anything about the cockpit floor hatch to keep that dryer?

I have put a rubber seal in to keep most of the water out - and an extra bilge pump in that compartment. Yes the hatch cover (I use a fabric one) is a must

#15 Rented Mule

Rented Mule

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:21 PM

I also have a fabric hatch cover and two bilge pumps. One is fixed on centerline at the keel trunk and another that is loose so I can empty it out while heeled. They got a good workout last week during the Harvest Moon Regatta.

#16 Mike in CT

Mike in CT

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:20 PM

I have one bilge pump under the cockpit floor. I'm considering a second one just forward of the keel trunk.

#17 barefoot children

barefoot children

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Interests:Carbon boats and carbon golf clubs

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:35 PM

Just make sure the bottom dosen't fall off
Attached File  viper keel.jpg   115.44K   141 downloads

#18 Mike in CT

Mike in CT

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:42 PM

Damn! was that from a grounding or structural issue?

#19 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:44 PM

Just make sure the bottom dosen't fall off
Attached File  viper keel.jpg   115.44K   141 downloads

That should easily be accomplished by not running into rocks and such at high speed

#20 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • Interests:Traveling to far away sailing venues and terrorizing the locals!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:56 AM

I remember when that happened. I had just bought the Cheetah 30 from John who bought a V830 to sail head-2-head with that V830. They hit a whale or shipping container or some other shit in the water and sheared the foil at pretty high speed.

As far as the original topic, you really ought to talk to John Staff who owns "Plankton" and has done a bunch of offshore shit in the V830.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users