642 replies to this topic

#201 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,111 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:00 PM

.........what??? .........someone goes to SA for -news-??? :mellow:/> .....can't believe that! <_</>

Nah, not really. I just come here for all that new, cutting edge stuff that mainstream media don't touch. Remember?

#202 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,111 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:02 PM

Jesus christ, front page has been updated & Sailrocket is still not there.

I mean you got the Luna Rossa wing damage up there before AC Anarchy spotted it & that was with a bunch of people on webcams watching them...

Edit: Oh, OK it is there but just a little text blurb & not even top billing to a pic of some shitter throwing spray :unsure:/>

Cleans gonna need to upgrade that pink media flag.

#203 Big Show

Big Show

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:20 AM

Clean or the Editor stuck it below the 'it's all french to us' french boat that was on the FP all weekend so no one really saw it. Even those looking for it.

Pretty weak in my opinion. Should be locked as the header article so kiters can soak it in for a while.

And Sailrocket team - Ben Holder I think is listed as the one credited with filming and editing on YouTube. You guys had GoPros everywhere. When can we expect to see helmet cam, etc..? Please share the footage that Paul saw looking down the pipe.

I'm actually pretty bummed at the poor coverage from major media outlets let alone major sailing media outlets. If you watch the video and see Sailrocket flying down the course you know this is brand new territory. Simply amazing. Flying.

ISAF just got on board. http://www.sailing.org/news/32881.php :

About Vestas Sailrocket 2

• The main fuselage and beam are angled at 20 degrees to the actual direction of travel. This is so it points directly into the direction of the 'apparent' wind at high speed to both reduce drag and increase stability.

• The entire boat including rigging has the equivalent aerodynamic drag of a 74 cm wide sphere.

• The boat should be capable of 3:1 boat speed to wind speed ratios.

• Adding a second 80 kg passenger reduces the peak speed by around 2.5 knots... about the same as sailing in 1 knot less wind.

• The back of the boat will lift onto the curve of the foil at around 25 knots. The leeward float will begin to fly clear of the water over 50 knots. Only the main foil, the rudder and the 'step' of the forward float will be in the water at high speed.

• If the main foil fails at high speed, the back of the boat will lift. The result will be that the wind will push down on the beam rather than lifting it like it did on the first boat. It must do this before the boat gets too nose down.

• At low speed, the boat will be predominantly steered by moving the beam and wing fore and aft by up to 3 meters. At low speed it is forward to help the boat turn away from the wind. As the boat accelerates the beam is moved aft until it is at 90 degrees to the fuselage.

• The curve of the main foil determines how high the boat rides.

• The three floats were all designed to have a long waterline with lots of volume at low speed, low drag at high speed as they rise onto their stepped hulls and as low an aerodynamic drag as possible as they will be flying at 20 degrees to the direction of the wind.

• The front float has a very strong floor to deal with the pounding it will get at high speed.

#204 hoom

hoom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:10 AM

One can only hope they'll get a better article up once WSSRC confirm it.
And when I say better it should be covering most of the front page with link to vid/s & pics.

#205 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,041 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:27 AM

I'm actually pretty bummed at the poor coverage from major media outlets let alone major sailing media outlets. If you watch the video and see Sailrocket flying down the course you know this is brand new territory. Simply amazing. Flying.

News articles above the fold on Y&Y and YBW. Best is the 2000 word article on TDS, following up the 2300 word article from last week about the boat.

#206 Big Show

Big Show

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

Thanks Presuming/Marwood.

Anyone know if there's been a response from the kiters yet? Has Rob Douglas said anything?

#207 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,587 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:53 PM

Jesus christ, front page has been updated & Sailrocket is still not there.

I mean you got the Luna Rossa wing damage up there before AC Anarchy spotted it & that was with a bunch of people on webcams watching them...

Edit: Oh, OK it is there but just a little text blurb & not even top billing to a pic of some shitter throwing spray :unsure:

Help a bro find it.

Is it above or below the leading article and pictorial about 63 optimist kids in Galicia or is it next to the Pullitzer prize winning piece about a guy who bought a boat for $157 in Norwalk?
Clean must be assembling his portfolio so he can apply for that job at the Otisville Herald... don't forget to cover the Tiverton Middle School's Thanksgiving Day Parade and the annual football game at Bismark High.

#208 larso

larso

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:39 PM

Hi all, we are onto editing up the video from the nautical mile. I just laugh every time I think of that run. It was a spur of the moment decision to have a shot at it. It just all came together. I ah... remembered to turn the helmet camera on for this one so you will see down the pipe. We peaked at 64.78 knots (74.55 mph). I think its exactly 120 kph. You know records are going to fall when your hitting that down the nautical mile. The average wind was 24.4 knots.
The last couple of days have been hectic but amongst it all we have to remind ourselves that it isn't over yet and the boat comes first. Yesterday we pulled the boat and wing apart and checked all the 'killer' bits. If the wing blows apart that's not life threatening. If the forward beam shroud lets go... that's another story. Overall the boat is in great shape but she does need a constant eye.
I did get a piece sent to me about Rob Douglas' opinion of the record falling. He's always struck me as a very level headed guy... and obviously a driven competitor. Whilst I think we all have genuine good will towards each other, I know what burns just under the surface. Nothing is more motivating than being beaten and we kicked a hornets nest there. I already feel protective of this one. I don't yet feel it's safe. We need to go faster. The next big day on the forecast is Saturday. For all we know now that might be all we get so we had better be ready to exploit it.
Yeah that nautical mile run was just perfect. After putting a hard 10 years into this dream... after that run I consider that speed sailing and I are now 'square'. Everything else now is a bonus.
Ben is buried in his editing suite up the back going for it with the next video. This small team is doing a great job.

#209 Doug Lord

Doug Lord

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,145 posts
  • Interests:Foiler design and development,.........sailing fast,
    movable ballast systems and..... justice.

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:01 PM

Its official!

For The Record
The WSSR Council announces the the establishment of a new World Record.
Record: World "B" Division Speed Record
Venue: Walvis Bay. Namibia.
Name: Paul Larsen. AUS.
Equipment: Vestas SailRocket 2. Inclined rig Hydrofoil Proa.
Date: 12th November 2012. 18.30 hrs
Course length: 500 metres
Current: Nil
Elapsed time: 17.97 secs
Speed: 54.08 kts
Comments: Current record: Vestas SailRocket 2. Paul Larsen AUS. Walvis Bay NAM. 2011. 49.19 kts
A further claim for a speed in excess of the above is currently being assessed
John Reed
Secretary to the WSSR Council

#210 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,621 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:20 PM

LIke i said, i sent the story in about 30 minutes after the video went live; three or four days ago. Now that I am home I will start beating on the drum.

#211 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,621 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:23 PM

Hi all, we are onto editing up the video from the nautical mile. I just laugh every time I think of that run. It was a spur of the moment decision to have a shot at it. It just all came together. I ah... remembered to turn the helmet camera on for this one so you will see down the pipe. We peaked at 64.78 knots (74.55 mph). I think its exactly 120 kph. You know records are going to fall when your hitting that down the nautical mile. The average wind was 24.4 knots.
The last couple of days have been hectic but amongst it all we have to remind ourselves that it isn't over yet and the boat comes first. Yesterday we pulled the boat and wing apart and checked all the 'killer' bits. If the wing blows apart that's not life threatening. If the forward beam shroud lets go... that's another story. Overall the boat is in great shape but she does need a constant eye.
I did get a piece sent to me about Rob Douglas' opinion of the record falling. He's always struck me as a very level headed guy... and obviously a driven competitor. Whilst I think we all have genuine good will towards each other, I know what burns just under the surface. Nothing is more motivating than being beaten and we kicked a hornets nest there. I already feel protective of this one. I don't yet feel it's safe. We need to go faster. The next big day on the forecast is Saturday. For all we know now that might be all we get so we had better be ready to exploit it.
Yeah that nautical mile run was just perfect. After putting a hard 10 years into this dream... after that run I consider that speed sailing and I are now 'square'. Everything else now is a bonus.
Ben is buried in his editing suite up the back going for it with the next video. This small team is doing a great job.

Hey Paul;

I'm sure you've got serious bandwidth limitations down there, but is there any way to get 720p resolution up on the web before you guys get back? With the videography your guys and gal are putting together, I feel as though we are missing out on some of the beautiful details, and when the news is two weeks stale, you won't get near the views even in HD.

#212 larso

larso

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:59 PM

Hi Clean, we have just uploaded a Hi res version... for some reason I haven't got your e-mail address. Send it to me and I will send you the link for the FTP. paularsen1@aol.com

#213 Tucky

Tucky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:15 PM

Some people need a publicist to present a public face for their project. Some people just do it naturally by being themselves. You, Paul, are in the second category. You have made your own and your team's hopes, dreams, successes, failures and the nuts and bolts of actually DOING IT come alive, and it reflects wonderfullyon all of you. Thanks for showing the way and enjoy your well deserved satisfaction.

In these days of sponsorship, it seems appropriate to thank Vestas as well. Here is the story as reported by Bloomberg-

Sailrocket 2 set the best average speed recorded over a 500-meter (1,640-feet) stretch of water, posting a mark of 59.23 knots (109 kilometers an hour) that eclipsed the previous best of 55.65 knots set in 2010 by American kite surfer Rob Douglas, Vestas said today in a statement on its website.

“The boat was really flying across the water today,” project leader Paul Larsen said in the statement. “Everything came together perfectly and it’s amazing to have finally broken the world record.”

Vestas Sailrocket 2 was designed and built at the Danish company’s technology facility in the Isle of Wight. On the same run in Namibia’s Walvis Bay, the craft also broke the nautical mile record with an average of more than 55 knots, the company said. Both records are subject to ratification by the World Speed Sailing Record Council.

Vestas didn’t disclose the value of its sponsorship. The company is struggling to return to profitability after posting a loss in 2011 for the first time since 2005. The turbine maker is almost halfway through a 2-year program that will see it reduce headcount by about 30 percent through job cuts, failing to fill vacancies and selling factories.

I've sent them an email (pressoffice at vestas.com seemed the best) saying thanks and think it smart if lots of folks do. If I saw the Vestas logo on something it would bring a smile to my face- if they had swag, I'd buy it <_< and that is entirely because of Vestas Sailrocket2. A smart sponsorship should be rewarded.

#214 in_TO

in_TO

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:06 PM

Nicely done, Larso. Very impressive.

#215 DSmith

DSmith

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:15 PM

I've sent them an email (pressoffice at vestas.com seemed the best) saying thanks and think it smart if lots of folks do. If I saw the Vestas logo on something it would bring a smile to my face- if they had swag, I'd buy it <_< and that is entirely because of Vestas Sailrocket2. A smart sponsorship should be rewarded.

and/or smash their Facebook page: http://www.facebook....169532373192278

#216 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,587 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:19 PM

In these days of sponsorship, it seems appropriate to thank Vestas as well. Here is the story as reported by Bloomberg-

Done!
I emailed their IR guy who is appropriately named Lars.

Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 2:15 PM
To: 'ir@vestas.com'
Subject: Congratulations on World Speed Sailing Record

Lars and everyone at Vestas,

Congratulations to your Vestas SailRocket team in setting the world speed sailing record. It is an astonishing achievement reflecting a combination of determination and technology.
You must be very proud. Well Done.

#217 shaggybaxter

shaggybaxter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:43 PM

Thanks Tucky, good point.
Sent email to Vestas this morning.
SB

#218 hoom

hoom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:58 PM

Its official!

Doug thats the 54kt one from 12th, we're looking for 59kt on 16th.

#219 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,766 posts
  • Interests:...pimping HOOTs
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:16 PM

Its official!

...........I'm holding out for 62 on the 22nd :ph34r:

........c'mon Larso,,,,,you know you want it :)

#220 Doug Lord

Doug Lord

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,145 posts
  • Interests:Foiler design and development,.........sailing fast,
    movable ballast systems and..... justice.

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:18 PM

Its official!

------------------
Thats the first I saw published-they say right on it that they're evaluating another record for the boat.

#221 Big Show

Big Show

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:41 PM

Get this - CBC Radio 1 in Canada has a weeknight show called As It Happens. Just now they did a full audio replay of Larso during the record run.

Nice!!!! My wife was wondering why I was freaking out!?!

I expect the Nov 20th podcast to be available soon: http://www.cbc.ca/as...ppens/podcasts/

Here's the Facebook post: http://www.facebook....pens?ref=stream

After the bit they - of course - played Sailing by Christopher Cross after which co-host Jeff Douglas, a good Nova Scotian boy and famous in Canada for his 'I am Canadian' rant, commented something like "... A song a world speed sailing record holder would definitely NOT be listening to."

Classic! How great is that?

An Aussie record holder being broadcast over the dinner hour to an entire nation of Canucks on one of the Canadian Broadcasting Corporations top radio shows. To me that's so cool.

Larso I'm going to be at the LAC next year with team Canada/RCYC and expect to see you with Team Invictus. I'm going to get you to autograph EVERYTHING! You and your team are heroes and will forever be remembered in sailing history.

Pretty heavy stuff all of this eh?!

Regards, Show

For a laugh - this is the show's co-host Jeff Douglas, who did the Sailrocket bit, in a beer ad from about 5 years ago

#222 Big Show

Big Show

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:33 AM

http://podcast.cbc.c...21120_44640.mp3

23:57 to 26:00 - but edited out is 'Sailing' and the funny comment afterwards about it NOT being something Larso would listen to. Oh well...

#223 larso

larso

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:53 AM

Righto Anarchists... strap in... Here is the magical mile video. Top speed 64.78 knots. The wind is blowing and we are heading out again.
VESTAS Sailrocket 2... The magical mile
Some of you have contacted VESTAS and thanked them for supporting us. It means a lot to them and us. We had the faith and passion and they backed it all the way. We owe a lot to our sponsors. These are tough times and I hope that our success has come at a good time for them. Thanks.
Paul.

#224 larso

larso

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

VESTAS SAILROCKET MAGIC MILE VIDEO...

#225 larso

larso

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:02 PM

Just to be double sure... damnit ... everyone else is in MUSTO drysuits now except me! Oh well... it might be Helena's turn to ride today. She's gone a bit quiet back there.
VESTAS Sailrocket Magic Mile video try3

#226 Autograph

Autograph

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:06 PM

Massive respect to ALL in the extended sail rocket family, especially you Paul, you are an inspiration. Can't wait to see SR3, the 70 knot sailboat. +1 for sailor of the year. To get back on the horse, after the first scary crash, I have no words to describe the depth of appreciation. Bunch of rocket scientists.

#227 Mojounwin

Mojounwin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:20 PM

Hey Paul,
Loved the magic mile video. It's beautiful to see the head cam footage. It's fast. Thank fuck the boat only sails on starboard tack, could be carnage if some kid in his sabot tries to call starboard.

Do you think VSR2 is capable of pulling 70kts?

Cheers
Mick

#228 wardy89

wardy89

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:22 PM

Just to be double sure... damnit ... everyone else is in MUSTO drysuits now except me! Oh well... it might be Helena's turn to ride today. She's gone a bit quiet back there.

that video of the mile is simply awesome! is about time Helena becomes the fastest female sailer in the world!! you may as take that record as well while u are at it!

#229 HASYB

HASYB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:sailing, humans on planet Earth.

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:41 PM

Hey Paul,
Congratulations are a euphemism to the accomplishments you, Helena & the team made.
Also muchos cudos for all the reports & videos; especially the videos are a true gem; piece of art on themselves.

How much more is left in this boat? or in general.
Success!

Cheers,

Hielan

#230 hughw

hughw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:11 PM

sheer poetry in motion....great job guys!

#231 WarBird

WarBird

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,217 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:37 PM

Speechless! Noticed the oddity of driving a boat sideways? Speechless! Congrats to all.

#232 Clovis

Clovis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:06 PM

Congrats... amazing stuff!!!

C.

#233 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,766 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:27 PM

Righto Anarchists... strap in................(snip)................ The wind is blowing and we are heading out again. .....(snip)
Paul.

.............WOOOOO HOOOOOO!!....................be safe,,,,but be FAST!!

..............and don't forget t'turn the headcam on!!!

#234 RockHead

RockHead

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:02 PM

Legend

-wait for it

ARY!

The most amazing sailing ever. Congratulations!

I'm rooting for you to crack 60 knots, or 65.

#235 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,621 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:09 PM

Embedding

#236 pjadams

pjadams

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:Kayaking, sailing, reading, raising livestock (family!)

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:39 AM

Setting the record is a remarkable achievement, without question. Breaking the record set by "L'Hydroptere" just makes one admire "Hydroptere's" achievement. They are about to try to break the LA to Hawaii record, not sail on a 1.04 mile flat water course that doesn't even require a jibe or a tack.

#237 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,111 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:39 AM

Setting the record is a remarkable achievement, without question. Breaking the record set by "L'Hydroptere" just makes one admire "Hydroptere's" achievement. They are about to try to break the LA to Hawaii record, not sail on a 1.04 mile flat water course that doesn't even require a jibe or a tack.

Pretty sure the Hydroptere project have put that one on hold and were going back to short course records.

#238 tackoften

tackoften

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:sailin

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:28 AM

Having a drink for you Guy's tonight,,,cheers from the Gold Coast,,luv ur work..

#239 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,389 posts
  • Interests:~~/)/)~~

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:42 AM

I thought being able to sail on more than one tack AND being fastest was more impressive than being able to sail on more than one tack and being ALMOST fastest. ;)

#240 MT14er

MT14er

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Interests:14s Forever!

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:57 PM

Fantastic job Paul. I keep watching that video and marveling over how controlled those runs look. Is there any kind of shock absorber on that front float? I'm wondering if you would go even faster with a mechanism up there to absorb that chop so it doesn't translate the impact motion back to the main hull.

#241 Big Show

Big Show

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

I did get a piece sent to me about Rob Douglas' opinion of the record falling. He's always struck me as a very level headed guy... and obviously a driven competitor. Whilst I think we all have genuine good will towards each other, I know what burns just under the surface. Nothing is more motivating than being beaten and we kicked a hornets nest there...

Any chance you would share the link/text if it is public?

#242 edt

edt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:kites

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:38 PM

Dear sail rocket guys. I'm just a kiteboarder been watching the sail rocket with great interest. A lot of kiters tho tell me it's not a real sailboat because it can only go one direction and I tell them "Of course it can go both ways. One way is forwards and it can go a high speed but if he tilts the sail the other direction and looks over his shoulder, and uses the rudder in reverse he can go backwards just like backing a car up."

I felt the reason you don't run the sailrocket backwards is because it's fragile enough that you don't want to break it running the boat backwards.

So tell me am I right or wrong? Is there any video of the sailrocket going backwards on a light wind day?

I don't think us kiters are gonna catch you this year, not unless we get some serious wind.

#243 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,766 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:52 PM

Dear sail rocket guys. I'm just a kiteboarder been watching the sail rocket with great interest. A lot of kiters tho tell me it's not a real sailboat because it can only go one direction and I tell them "Of course it can go both ways. One way is forwards and it can go a high speed but if he tilts the sail the other direction and looks over his shoulder, and uses the rudder in reverse he can go backwards just like backing a car up."

I felt the reason you don't run the sailrocket backwards is because it's fragile enough that you don't want to break it running the boat backwards.

So tell me am I right or wrong? Is there any video of the sailrocket going backwards on a light wind day?

I don't think us kiters are gonna catch you this year, not unless we get some serious wind.

...good question Edt,,,not sure what that answer is-wether they can sail backwards if they had to prove they could-it's generally considered a one-way machine.
..........it's good the speed record folks aren't requiring a 2 way sailboat,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,if they did,, they'd probably want more of a 'boat' from the kitefolks!

..........sail-powered,over water,timing,course criteria,,,,seems nothing else much matters ;)

#244 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,389 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:15 PM

...good question Edt,,,not sure what that answer is-wether they can sail backwards if they had to prove they could-it's generally considered a one-way machine.
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,if they did,, they'd probably want more of a 'boat' from the kitefolks!

..........sail-powered,over water,timing,course criteria,,,,seems nothing else much matters ;)

How rude!

What he meant to say, EDT, was fuck off and show us your wife or girlfriend's tits.

#245 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,766 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:56 PM

How rude!

What he meant to say, EDT, was fuck off and show us your wife or girlfriend's tits.

............... .no Tom,,,me's not 12 anymore :mellow:

...............say what yer want,,,don't put it on me <_<

#246 shaggybaxter

shaggybaxter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:26 PM

What is your point? That it is not a real sailing boat? I haven't tried sailing my keelboat backwards either.
Or did I miss something?

#247 edt

edt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:46 PM

What is your point? That it is not a real sailing boat? I haven't tried sailing my keelboat backwards either.
Or did I miss something?

It's actually kind of fun to sail a keelboat backwards you should try it sometime, though most of us do it by accident after getting in irons. Not sure why the hostility, I love sailing and kiteboarding both. I can sense this particular question is too stupid to answer.

#248 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,111 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:00 PM

Kinda of like top fuel Cars hitting 300 mph aren't really cars. They only go fast in a straight line. LOL

Those fuckers that claimed Concorde was fast were liars as well, it never got close to Mach 1 going backwards/astern.

Jeez, who can you trust these days??

#249 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,389 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:00 PM

Or did I miss something?

It's actually kind of fun to sail a keelboat backwards you should try it sometime, though most of us do it by accident after getting in irons. Not sure why the hostility, I love sailing and kiteboarding both. I can sense this particular question is too stupid to answer.

When Hydroptere sets a record, they have it set up to sail on one tack and it would surprise me if the kiteboard record setters did not do the same thing.

This is a proa set up for one tack. Proas can go both directions. They are real boats and Vestas Sailrocket is really the world record holder.

#250 TinkerSailor

TinkerSailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:45 PM

Cars have to go both ways within a prescribed time at Boneville.....

I still love the Rocket!

Sorry kiters but doing 60 knots in 60 knots of wind is just controlled falling....

Leigh

#251 edt

edt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:53 PM

When Hydroptere sets a record, they have it set up to sail on one tack and it would surprise me if the kiteboard record setters did not do the same thing.

This is a proa set up for one tack. Proas can go both directions. They are real boats and Vestas Sailrocket is really the world record holder.

yes we kiters have to set up the board for one tack only. But the best thing about kiters is that everything is production, we are using standard production kites, boards and fins, nobody is on custom equipment this year, so it's relatively inexpensive. I sure hope nobody gets hurt in luderitz next week.

#252 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,389 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:59 PM

yes we kiters have to set up the board for one tack only. But the best thing about kiters is that everything is production, we are using standard production kites, boards and fins, nobody is on custom equipment this year, so it's relatively inexpensive. I sure hope nobody gets hurt in luderitz next week.

Nothing wrong with that, nor with corporate sponsors like Vestas bringing us something extremely cool and faster than a kiteboard or a flying trimaran. ;)

#253 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,204 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:13 AM

Nicely done....congratulations!

#254 shaggybaxter

shaggybaxter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:36 AM

Or did I miss something?

Settle kettle, no hostility intended. As I said, I might have missed something. Simply, what is the point you are trying to make?

#255 edt

edt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:08 AM

Or did I miss something?

Settle kettle, no hostility intended. As I said, I might have missed something. Simply, what is the point you are trying to make?

It's just that it would be cool if the sailrocket could go back to the start of the speed run without requiring a tow. Cool, but not really important.

#256 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,766 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:10 AM

Or did I miss something?

It's just that it would be cool if the sailrocket could go back to the start of the speed run without requiring a tow. Cool, but not really important.

..............can the speed kite set-ups?

#257 P Flados

P Flados

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:09 AM

Both directions is really a simple discussion if you just look at some facts.

VSR1 was originally set up to be re-configured to allow runs in either direction (the oldest video I found seemed weird to me until I realized it was going opposite of all of those Walvis Bay runs). The reconfiguration was not an "on the fly" thing, it was how the boat was assembled.

The value of VSR2 is that it has shown that it is possible to reliably translate wind into water speeds above 60 knots with a "balanced forces" boat configuration.

With this knowledge, it would just be an engineering chore to assemble a shunting Proa using what the VSR2 team has been learned:
  • Make the main hull double ended and probably a more than a little bit longer. Pilot/crew would need to be able to move from one end to the other (weight forward is needed)
  • All 3 pods would have to rotate to point forward for all required boat directions.
  • Both of the main hull pods would have retractable rudders and pod rotation would be used for steering (both at low speed, front only at high speed)
  • Have two main foils near the center of the main hull where the wrong direction foil is retracted
  • The cross beam either needs a single shape for both directions (Tom Speer has worked up foils that do this) or have a round spar with a foil shaped shroud that can be rotated on the spar to face forward
  • The main wing would need to stay canted but would probably need to be a multi-element wing like used in the C Class or some other form of reverse-able camber wing, It would probably need to be mass balanced around a spar so that the severe cant does not mess with the ability to control it. The wing controls would be complicated as the crew must operate the wing without any ability to reach up and help it around during shunts.
  • The wing extension would need to be either eliminated or made to work going either direction.
Even though the extras would drop the top speed as compared to a single tack boat, it would still have the ability to be the fastest "both directions" sailboat of its size. If you were going to do this, you would probably scale down if were were just doing it for the fun of it, or scale up if you have a big budget and you want to try to go real fast out in more open waters.

Dreamers (like me) can extrapolate this concept up to the 60' or bigger size needed for an ocean record chaser. Although being able to push for much higher top speeds would be a big plus, I am not sure this platform would transition into a light wind boat that could keep up with the BP5 type boats.

Only time will tell if balanced force high speed sail boats find any use other than chasing the Outright record.

#258 larso

larso

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:17 AM

Hi all... well I'll burn up some of my nervous energy here for a moment. Today is building into a big day. There has been some interesting points raised that do need answering. For us it was pretty simple what we were aiming to do with this boat. Simply we were aiming to see how fast you can go using wind and water. We chose this Bernard Smith based concept for the performance it could deliver with a focus on power and stability at the edge. Of course we could make a tacking version... but practicality is not the focus. We only have to go one way over 500 meters to show some form af stability and directional control. The reason we only have to go one way as against a cars record is because we are obviously wind powered... whereas they can't have any wind 'assist. In a funny way, VSR2 is actually a very practical boat. It can be sailed with 3 people. We can have it out of the tent and rigged quicker than a Hobie 16 (mast down). It's a pretty sorted boat in that respect. If we were to have started with a daysailor version... not many people would have understood the possibilities of the concept. If, on the other hand, we go out and do it now, after setting an outright world record, then people will pay a lot more attention. The concept is proven beyond doubt. Once again, our focus was getting the record and we believed that this was the best means of stability and control available. Bernard Smiths concepts are now firmly on everyones radar. Full credit to a very deserved man. As another note... to be fair, I believe that the kite and wind surfers get driven to the top of the course after a run in Luderitz. I have no problem with that. I know that they too could technically sail back up as we too could technically build a tacking version of VSR2 (which would look super cool with twin inward inclined rigs and a simple vertical central board). The outright record is simple and pure. It allows you to focus on pushing the limits of wind and water. What people take from these newly illuminated limits will be of great interest to us. It would be interesting to still have a record which requires you to sail in both directions... but I'm afraid this would only exaggerate the advantages of a Bernard Smith style boat which does its best on a beam reach. Our next boat will be a bit more practical... and you will know without doubt where we are coming from. A lot has to happen between now and then i.e. survive today.
Cheers, Larso.

#259 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,329 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:24 AM

I'm more worried about the big rum front comming through after you smash the record mate :P.

#260 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,389 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:51 AM

Or did I miss something?

Settle kettle, no hostility intended.

I think he might have been reacting to the traditional welcome, which does seem to cause confusion. ;)

#261 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,329 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:00 AM

Or did I miss something?

Settle kettle, no hostility intended.

I think he might have been reacting to the traditional welcome, which does seem to cause confusion. ;)

Larso said it well,fastest on water by wind power wins.No details required.Sure as shit won't be a keel boat sailing backwards. :o :lol: :lol: :lol: Now show us some tits.

#262 Fasterdamnit

Fasterdamnit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:18 PM

Done with the pissing contest?

Back out on the course today with wind speed peeks of 31 knots. With a boat speeds around 2.5 times wind speed, this could be interesting.

What Paul says about the loading in his blog-

"The thing is that whilst we know we will have a lot more power if it's gusting up to 30... what we don't know is what the nature of our drag curve is up ahead. Is it gradual or is it another 'brick wall'. On paper we expect cavitation to happen just over 65 knots. That's on paper. How it manifests itself is yet to be seen. This boat is damned powerful and in 30 knots, sheeted in hard with around 65-70 knots of apparent wind it's going to be one hell of a tug of war between the wing and the foil. VSR2 is being optimised for a big number. The pitch of the main foil has been reduced by 0.25 degrees, fairings have been added to the front of the stub beam (which holds the foil) and the outboard flap that controls the height of the leeward float has had its negative pitch range increased to help me keep it all on the level.
Yes I'm nervous. This is a big day."

#263 Fasterdamnit

Fasterdamnit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:29 PM

HOLY FLYING BATCRAP, BATMAN!!!!

Sailrocket Tweet-

"Ok mental speed's!!! On the GT-31 gps 67.74 and an average 500m 65.37! Yihaaaaaaaaaa..."

Average 65.73. I just can't get a handle on that.... :huh:

#264 Fasterdamnit

Fasterdamnit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:40 PM

If the Trimble data backs this up- that could be a 10 knot increase in the world record.
2010 Kite-board Rob Douglas USA Luderitz, NAM 55.65 kts

Just gobsmacked.

#265 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,389 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:44 PM

Woo HOO! I was hoping for an average speed that started with a 6! GO Sailrocket Team! B)

#266 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,386 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:04 PM

That is just unbeliveable - go Rocket Man!

#267 Murphness

Murphness

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Brewing Beer, Drinking Beer, Skiing and other outsidey things

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:05 PM

Sailrocket Tweet-

"Ok mental speed's!!! On the GT-31 gps 67.74 and an average 500m 65.37! Yihaaaaaaaaaa..."

Holy shit! That is freaking fast! That sounds like an excuse to crack a beer at 10 am!

Congrats Larso and team! What a week!

#268 Goose84

Goose84

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:11 PM

Damn. They are so far beyond anything out on the water right now, it's ridiculous! Congrats Larson! Y'all are kicking ass.

#269 edt

edt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

absolutely ridiculous wow

#270 HASYB

HASYB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:12 PM

BOOM BOOM BOOM

:P :D :D :D :P

#271 Fasterdamnit

Fasterdamnit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:28 PM

Sailrocket Tweet-

Geezuz were talking HIGHWAY SPEEDS. Completely over the top numbers. What an accomplishment. BRAVO !

77.95mph will get you a speeding ticket in most US states. Think there are 80mph interstate highway limits outside Austin TX.

#272 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,766 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:45 PM

...........I'm holding out for 62 on the 22nd :ph34r:

........c'mon Larso,,,,,you know you want it :)

..................room to spare!!!!! :blink:

Righto Anarchists... strap in................(snip)................ The wind is blowing and we are heading out again. .....(snip)
Paul.

.............WOOOOO HOOOOOO!!....................be safe,,,,but be FAST!!

..............and don't forget t'turn the headcam on!!!

................................if yer didn't have yer headcam,,it -didn't- happen..........go try again!!

Sailrocket Tweet-

.............totally amazing!!!!**

........**...subject to verification and headcam video!!!!! ;)

#273 Fasterdamnit

Fasterdamnit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:51 PM

YIIIHAAAA!!!

65+/67+

Posted Image

#274 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,103 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:55 PM

If the Trimble data backs this up- that could be a 10 knot increase in the world record.
2010 Kite-board Rob Douglas USA Luderitz, NAM 55.65 kts

Just gobsmacked.

That's a big jump forward and an awesome accomplishment

SailROCKET is well named!

FB- Doug

#275 HASYB

HASYB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:56 PM

Boomerdeboomerdeboomerboomerboomerboomboomboom

:D :D :D :D :D

#276 giatt

giatt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:06 PM

I'm gobsmacked.....!

Team Sailrocket, you deserve everything that's coming your way now.

SA Frontpage only needs to be four figures with a dot in the middle!

#277 nroose

nroose

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,574 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:07 PM

Wow! Nytimes had this sleepy vid about Rob Douglas today. 65 kts seems like a big ask for a kite board!

#278 Varan

Varan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:13 PM

I'm painting my boat orange. Go Sailrocket!

#279 P Flados

P Flados

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:15 PM

Kind of reminds of a phrase from the movies, "Ludicrous speed".

#280 wardy89

wardy89

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:27 PM

just awesome!!!

i think 65 kts is a big ask for the kiters with the current kit!

#281 larso

larso

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:41 PM

Hey anarchists... fresh off the TRIMBLE... 65.45 average 68.01 knots for 1 second. I am... speechless. Performance sailing has entered a new era. We did battle with speed-spot today and we came away friends. I could walk away from speedsailing today and say "job done". Tomorrow... well, I'll worry about that then. This is a special time.I'm glad we shared it here. Cheers, from us to you.

#282 Fasterdamnit

Fasterdamnit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:44 PM

Go plug in the Flux Capacitor and shoot for 88mph!!!

Posted Image

#283 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,456 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:48 PM

Hey anarchists... fresh off the TRIMBLE... 65.45 average 68.01 knots for 1 second. I am... speechless. Performance sailing has entered a new era. We did battle with speed-spot today and we came away friends. I could walk away from speedsailing today and say "job done". Tomorrow... well, I'll worry about that then. This is a special time.I'm glad we shared it here. Cheers, from us to you.

What an amazing run - congratulations to you all. A brilliant number!

#284 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,766 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:50 PM

...posts 8 hours apart,,,,,,,
................with a world record SMASHED in between!!!

#285 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,774 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:53 PM

Holy Shit! Absolutely amazing jump.

Now it's Helena's turn.

#286 Varan

Varan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:58 PM

Wow! Iceboat speeds. With the record seemingly secure for a while, would you ever consider ice? There's a record there to be broken.

#287 MT14er

MT14er

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Interests:14s Forever!

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:07 PM

All I can say is OMG! That is unbelievable.

#288 nroose

nroose

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,574 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:24 PM

I'm pretty sure this is faster than the Blokart world record!

#289 Amati

Amati

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,666 posts
  • Interests:0 (t) = 0

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:41 PM

The Sirens of speed, methinks, awake...

#290 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,329 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

5.55am here in Aus and I just cracked a beer.
Sir Larso has a certain ring to it I reckon.From Sunsail flare boats and Brigadoon on Hammo to worlds fastest man on water you bloody beauty.

#291 shaggybaxter

shaggybaxter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:14 PM

Ditto Auscat!
Kneel you bastards, one of the all-time greatest teams walks amongst us.
Congratulations Paul and the entire Sailrocket team, this is simply off the scale in achievements!
Is it wrong to get drunk at 6am in the morning?
SB.

#292 fastyacht

fastyacht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,267 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:39 PM

Sailrocket is in here--the board guys think they will reclaim, but I dunno. I think sailrocket rocks :-)

<iframe width="480" height="373" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" id="nyt_video_player" title="New York Times Video - Embed Player" src="http://graphics8.nyt...mbed"></iframe>

#293 GreenBowman

GreenBowman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Incredible stuff, congratulaions

#294 ecosse4me

ecosse4me

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts
  • Interests:Whisky, Sailing Photography and ski-ing

I am kneeling. Amazing, just fantastic. Great job you guys and girls.... :D

#295 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,389 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:07 PM

Well done, Vestas Sailrocket Team. Wow. Orange is an extremely fast color indeed! ;) Go the odd orange proa!

#296 duncan (the other one)

duncan (the other one)

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

holy crapoly.. a barrier broken indeed. This is monumental!

#297 tackoften

tackoften

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:31 PM

Bloody Ell Larso,,we will all be in rehab soon,,,already half snookered from the last session,,,now i have to start again,,esky still has a few rums left,,, ;)

#298 EthanB

EthanB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:48 PM

for fuck's sake, I was hoping to see you push the record above 60, but this is just ridiculous. Well done, good onya, etc. Once you recover from this rum front, give Helena a shot. Brilliant stuff.

#299 sailingkid

sailingkid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,691 posts
  • Interests:Moths, A-Cats, speed, efficiency

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:48 PM

Awesome job, I can't get over the fact that 10 years ago the record was 46 knots, now its close enough to 20 higher! Can't wait to see the video! This whole thing has been fantastic to follow, it got to the point where I would check the Sailrocket site before SA at the bus stop last week. Brilliant effort!!

#300 tackoften

tackoften

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:57 PM

Just thinking that's up there with Cadel and Sally's effort,,,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users