• Please log in to reply
642 replies to this topic

#301 Guitar

Guitar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,317 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, gold mining, meteorite hunting.

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:59 PM

Bloody fucking excellent!

Walk on water Team Vestas!

The equivalent of a moon landing. Unbelievable!

Bustin out the rum now. Cheers to all.

#302 hoom

hoom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:07 AM

Posted Image

Congrats!

#303 F15 AUS

F15 AUS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:01 AM

Wow. Just fucking wow

#304 nroose

nroose

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,520 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:20 AM

Sailrocket is in here--the board guys think they will reclaim, but I dunno. I think sailrocket rocks :-)

<iframe width="480" height="373" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" id="nyt_video_player" title="New York Times Video - Embed Player" src="http://graphics8.nyt...mbed"></iframe>

Your embed didn't work for me, but here's the link:

https://www.nytimes.com/video/2012/11/23/sports/100000001895658/kite-with-the-wind.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20121124

Yeah, I think those boarders would need to come up with something very different from their current setup and technique to up their game by 20%. And they better start wearing some more protective gear. Impact going 20% faster is about 50% harder. Sailrocket has increased the record this year by more than double any increase by anyone in any prior year. Here is a little chart I made:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgVf-dONhoqqdDJiSmNkZE1xTGdsQnNobmJOTHc1eEE

The increase for this year is pretty steep. Steeper than ever. These kinds of things don't get steeper over time often.

Has anyone even hear any rumors of any breakthrough gear or techniques for the kiteboarders?

#305 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,197 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:20 AM

Hey anarchists... fresh off the TRIMBLE... 65.45 average 68.01 knots for 1 second. I am... speechless. Performance sailing has entered a new era. We did battle with speed-spot today and we came away friends. I could walk away from speedsailing today and say "job done". Tomorrow... well, I'll worry about that then. This is a special time.I'm glad we shared it here. Cheers, from us to you.

Rock'n ! ! !

#306 edt

edt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:kites

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:26 AM

rob douglas did his 55 knots in about 45 knots of wind, 1.2x wind speed. he's going to france for the mistral wind, which can reach 50 knots and at 1.25x he can do 63 knots

You can't count rob out, but I dont see us taking the record from sailrocket this year. 65 seriously?

#307 Fasterdamnit

Fasterdamnit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:36 AM

rob douglas did his 55 knots in about 45 knots of wind, 1.2x wind speed. he's going to france for the mistral wind, which can reach 50 knots and at 1.25x he can do 63 knots

You can't count rob out, but I dont see us taking the record from sailrocket this year. 65 seriously?

This year, seriously? How the hell do you plan to retake the record any year with only 1.2 x wind speed? SailRocket2 goes out in 35 knots and well, you can do the math.

You guys were just made obsolete for record setting.

#308 shanghaisailor

shanghaisailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:52 AM

Absolutely cracking. Sitting here stunned. What an achievement, what a team.

There are not enough superlatives in the book

Well done Sailrocket

SS

#309 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,113 posts
  • Interests:...pimping HOOTs
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:06 AM

This year, seriously? How the hell do you plan to retake the record any year with only 1.2 x wind speed? SailRocket2 goes out in 35 knots and well, you can do the math.

You guys were just made obsolete for record setting.

....let's not go overboard here........-anyone- who's sheeting-in in anything over ~20 kts,,let alone honed for speed has -my- respect...............I see what the speed kiters and the speedrocket do as nothing less than completely INSANE :blink:

''Fasterdamnit'',,,,I bet you're 'obsolete' in this game as quickly as myself ;)

.......after this round,,,my couch is a sopping MESS :unsure:

#310 Fasterdamnit

Fasterdamnit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:12 AM

Not overboard. Just truth. They designed the boat to hit 65 for an average in approx 26knots wind. Looks like they hit that goal. This means they have the keys to the speed kingdom and if desired, could scale up SR2 in a new boat to handle the higher loads of sailing in higher winds. The magic is the 2.5 x wind speed capability.

#311 MT14er

MT14er

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Interests:14s Forever!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:29 AM

I'm a bit concerned about the kiters pushing themselves to match this new threshold of speed. To retake the record they are going to have to push themselves up to 70 kts or more. There is a 60% increase in kenetic energy from 55 kts to 70 kts. A crash at that speed could be deadly.

#312 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,113 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:32 AM

well,either way,,,,I'm sure the kiter's have a tough challenge to beat the record now,,
,,,,,,,,I don't lose my awe for what they do though :mellow:

#313 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:54 AM

Wow, that is really all I can say. That is incredible.

#314 nroose

nroose

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,520 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:20 AM

Here is an image of the chart.

Attached Files

#315 fastyacht

fastyacht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:34 AM

Sailrocket is in here--the board guys think they will reclaim, but I dunno. I think sailrocket rocks :-)

<iframe width="480" height="373" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" id="nyt_video_player" title="New York Times Video - Embed Player" src="http://graphics8.nyt...mbed"></iframe>

Your embed didn't work for me, but here's the link:

https://www.nytimes....dit_th_20121124

Yeah, I think those boarders would need to come up with something very different from their current setup and technique to up their game by 20%. And they better start wearing some more protective gear. Impact going 20% faster is about 50% harder. Sailrocket has increased the record this year by more than double any increase by anyone in any prior year. Here is a little chart I made:

https://docs.google....QnNobmJOTHc1eEE

The increase for this year is pretty steep. Steeper than ever. These kinds of things don't get steeper over time often.

Has anyone even hear any rumors of any breakthrough gear or techniques for the kiteboarders?

When I watch the kites, a couple of problems are obvious, both having to to with lift to drag ratio.
1. Their surface-piercing foil (the board) has a very low aspect ratio and very high drag, considering the lift it is providing.
2. The kite, being a soft arc shape, has a lot of unuseful parasitic drag.

If you could do something with the hydrofoil portion to make it more efficient, combined with a rigid kite, you'd be onto something.

There is no reason you couldn't build a "catamaran" board with leeward lifting foils and windward downfoils, or better yet, come up with a direct path from the kite load to a "hook" foil like sailrocket, and have the kiter control that---then you have sort of a mini sailrocket.

#316 hoom

hoom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:54 AM

I say get a sailplane & fly along dragging a little skimming dish for the ultimate speed record.

#317 Tunnel Rat

Tunnel Rat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:55 AM

Stunning - hats off!

#318 Cavandish

Cavandish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:40 AM

Scary, scary, fast.

I think one thing people need to remember is that with record was first established with a specific one way craft, that speaks volumes as to the intention. Almost more remarkable is that a blue water capable craft such as Hydrophere was able to hold the title at all and that a craft as "simple" as a kite board could be combined with a seriously extraordinary sailor and up the ante. If anything sailrocket brings the record back to its origins with a healthy dose of bravado. To add more qualifiers in terms of capabilities beyond on water, wind only propulsion over 500m is absurd. Crossbow was a one way proa on the cutting edge.

Hydrophere could travel to its destination over the ocean and Rob Douglas could transport his record breaking craft as checked baggage. However as it stands neither have proven faster over 500m on the water under power from only the wind. Among them i simply can see no losers, just different flavors of pure badassery.

Downplaying the event because the craft couldn't complete a passage or travel around the cans make about as much sense as commenting that Ecotricity Greenbird wouldn't complete a typical highway commute or win a rally race.

#319 Sean

Sean

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:43 AM

Larso, it's been a privelege to follow this stunning achievement, in near real time, with blow by blow commentary from the man himself. Thank you for sharing this with us! Really great stuff.

#320 BronzeWing

BronzeWing

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, photography, CNC stuff and planes

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:24 AM

Wow just imagine if he re configures it for both wheels and ice. Be an outstanding achievement to hold the out right speed records on water, land and ice in basically the same vehicle. Once he sobers up he is going to have to either find a real job anyway or why not have a crack at the other two records

#321 hoom

hoom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:24 AM

Among them i simply can see no losers, just different flavors of pure badassery.

Indeed, top post there :)

#322 fastyacht

fastyacht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:37 AM

Wow just imagine if he re configures it for both wheels and ice. Be an outstanding achievement to hold the out right speed records on water, land and ice in basically the same vehicle. Once he sobers up he is going to have to either find a real job anyway or why not have a crack at the other two records

???? Not possible.Sailrocket, unlike the conventional approaches, will *only* work with a fluid interface.

#323 HNZ

HNZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:07 AM

I'm pretty sure this is faster than the Blokart world record!

You're dead right! Blokart record was 64.4mph (55.96kts) in may this year.

I'd be nervous trying to equal 68kts in a blokart! :o

#324 HNZ

HNZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:14 AM

I say get a sailplane & fly along dragging a little skimming dish for the ultimate speed record.

+1
That's the way sailing's speed sailing's heading!

#325 czo79

czo79

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:23 AM

this thread just got me curious about some of the old record holders, found a link with a couple photos and descriptions of crossbow...
http://www.dcss.org/...l/crossbow.html

#326 Captain Gumby

Captain Gumby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Sailing?! Offshore cruising and racing. Mucking about on Sydney Harbour

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:27 AM

Posted Image

#327 AVID

AVID

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:50 AM

70 the new dream

#328 Mojounwin

Mojounwin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:03 AM

+1
That's the way sailing's speed sailing's heading!

It has to start under its own steam though.

Cheers
Mojo

#329 hoom

hoom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:23 AM

It has to start under its own steam though.

Does it? If so, might be doable with a high-performance hang-glider with a cliff launch.
Posted Image

#330 Maxx Baqustae

Maxx Baqustae

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • Interests:Ummmm......sailboat racing

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:41 AM

Out friggin' standing!!!!!!!!!

#331 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,937 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:01 AM

I'm a bit concerned about the kiters pushing themselves to match this new threshold of speed. To retake the record they are going to have to push themselves up to 70 kts or more. There is a 60% increase in kenetic energy from 55 kts to 70 kts. A crash at that speed could be deadly.

#332 shaggybaxter

shaggybaxter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:25 AM

Cmon Sailrocket team, the suspense is killing us! Even though it's only 10 am Sunday in Namibia, and by now I'm expecting they're all legless under the table, or being violently ill in the potplant in the corner (edit..sorry that might be this end) you just have to upload the vid! I gotta go to work in approx 12 hours!
SB

#333 Irish River

Irish River

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Interests:sailing, skiing

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:43 AM

holy shit!
https://www.youtube....h?v=POQ3qUy92ik

#334 fdsailor

fdsailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:09 AM

Jeebus, did Chewie get the hyperdrive working then?!!! Outstanding achievement, carry on!

#335 hoom

hoom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:20 AM

Posted Image

#336 moody frog

moody frog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:20 AM

Hey anarchists... fresh off the TRIMBLE... 65.45 average 68.01 knots for 1 second. I am... speechless. Performance sailing has entered a new era. We did battle with speed-spot today and we came away friends. I could walk away from speedsailing today and say "job done". Tomorrow... well, I'll worry about that then. This is a special time.I'm glad we shared it here. Cheers, from us to you.

Congratulations Paul and Sail-Rocket team, here I was hoping that you broke the 60 kts barrier yesterday but this is more than awesome !!

Enjoy that moment !
Having been a small part of the team which led a windsurfer to first break the 30 kts barrier, I can tell you that this kind of moment leaves a permanent sweet spot in the heart and creates ever-lasting friendships.

What you did was so well done !

#337 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,937 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:04 AM

Unbelievable!

Hypothetical question... how fast could you go with a new foil? :rolleyes:

#338 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:11 AM

I'm sure Larso and crew will be along soon but these shots from face book are just awsome.
Attached File  575324_558921324133539_562825857_n.jpg   73.9K   422 downloads

Attached File  575087_558921550800183_504870843_n.jpg   71.17K   399 downloads

#339 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,690 posts
  • Interests:~~/)/)~~

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:31 AM

this thread just got me curious about some of the old record holders, found a link with a couple photos and descriptions of crossbow...
http://www.dcss.org/...l/crossbow.html

Interesting boat, thanks for posting.

#340 Alkamid

Alkamid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

Welcome to the new era of speed sailing.

#341 HASYB

HASYB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:sailing, humans on planet Earth.

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:16 PM

Calling Royal Vestas Sailrocket...... Calling Royal Vestas Sailrocket..... Calling Royal Vestas Sailrocket.... over...... come in with vid please.....

#342 Sean

Sean

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:30 PM

Calling Royal Vestas Sailrocket...... Calling Royal Vestas Sailrocket..... Calling Royal Vestas Sailrocket.... over...... come in with vid please.....

Pics or it didn't happen?

#343 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,690 posts
  • Interests:~~/)/)~~

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:37 PM

Pics or it didn't happen?

While we're waiting, let's all give thanks for people who are not quite right in the head. Many would have given up at this point, and those who did not would have lost their corporate sponsor. Thanks to Paul and Vestas for being not quite right and pushing ahead anyway!

#344 oem

oem

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:04 PM

5.55am here in Aus and I just cracked a beer.
Sir Larso has a certain ring to it I reckon.From Sunsail flare boats and Brigadoon on Hammo to worlds fastest man on water you bloody beauty.

Ditto from zhuhai... Those were the days. So glad he has found the top of his mountain.. I hope Bussy is seeing all of this..

#345 Geff

Geff

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:11 PM

Heartiest congratulations! A job so very well done!

#346 blunted

blunted

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  • Interests:Boats with wings are cool, just plain cool

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:33 PM

Awesome Job Paul, keep feeding that beast those little kites for breakfast lunch and dinner.

Awesome job, congrats

Blunted

#347 Greenflash

Greenflash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:56 PM

I am Speechless! Well Done is all I can say! WOOHOOO!!!

#348 HASYB

HASYB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:23 PM

Distress call from Sailing Anarchy Community to lifeboat Royal Vestas Sailrocket: Life threatening situation over here.

MOB: Walvisbay surroundings:

In Search for floating, or possibly slightly hovering, most likely still radiant human rocketeer: has been under water for some time now.
Can't be missed, must have strange indelible smile on face.

Please S.O.S. with vid.

#349 Big Show

Big Show

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:54 PM

65 knots?

I really can't believe I'm reading this!?!

Legends all of you. Legends...

#350 none of the above

none of the above

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:travel the world

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:29 PM

Wow! Iceboat speeds. With the record seemingly secure for a while, would you ever consider ice? There's a record there to be broken.

this

#351 Anarchist Patrick

Anarchist Patrick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:19 PM

It's funny because there is a RIB that our Yacht Club owns with a 250 hp engine that can do 68 knots!!

#352 ITA602

ITA602

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:Sail more & work less, snowboarding, reading a good book.

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:18 PM

All thumbs up!

#353 BCR

BCR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:27 PM

Congratulations!! Savor the moment. That is just...WOW!

#354 Lars Schrøder D13

Lars Schrøder D13

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Interests:I skipped SA for a while because Scott Tempesta and Alan Block are jerks..but its the only forum where a-class is being discussed so...

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:22 PM

yeah, awesome, records are to be broken, but this beating is extraordinaire, übercool

#355 oddsailor

oddsailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Interests:getting on a plane

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:32 PM

Wow, this is beyond amazing! One of the sports networks should pick this up - no one, and I mean NO one in any sport has been breaking records by this margin for a looong, looong time! A true quantum leap!

#356 Geff

Geff

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

Wow, this is beyond amazing! One of the sports networks should pick this up - no one, and I mean NO one in any sport has been breaking records by this margin for a looong, looong time! A true quantum leap!

Right on!

#357 Reht

Reht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:54 PM

My goodness guys! I'm completely shocked, that's one heck of a performance. There has never been a bigger jump in that record. In fact, the biggest jump in the 500m record that I could see was about 3knts. Not only have you demolished the record, you've done it in such a spectacular way!

Good on you, I don't think you need to prove anything to anyone any more. (But I'm always eager to hear about how you'll blow your own record out of the water...)

#358 DC_US55

DC_US55

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:50 PM

Paul,

Cracked open a special bottle after hearing about the latest run. I would hope your achievement gets special attention from Hollywood, Rolex, and Her Majesty. Now continue the steady scientific step by step method to 70! Don't lose that taste for those triple rum and cokes in pint glasses.

Like I've been saying since VS1...Stay safe, and Go go go go go baby GO!

#359 Cavandish

Cavandish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:30 PM

Actually i did make a very modest attempt at that and filled out a feedback form on ESPN.com, got a generic auto response and then a second with a link directed to an on-line form for the "outside the lines" segment. Maybe if we all spam the "submit a link" thingy on "Sports Nation" it could happen. First however, we need a link to a video to spam ;) .Great story, gripping footage and history made through adversity. Certainly worth a segment.

Copy/paste of e-mail received with link;

Thank you for contacting ESPN.

We appreciate your taking the time to write and share your story idea with us. We have shared your comments with the appropriate personnel for their review and consideration. If interested someone will contact you directly.

If you know of a story that could make a compelling Outside the Lines segment, use the link below:
http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=1550773

Sincerely,

Troy
ESPN Viewer Response

#360 Phil S

Phil S

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:29 AM

Speculating that maybe the silence here from VSR2 is because they are negotiating with someone who is willing to pay real money for the video and story. And who would blame them, they deserve a big reward.

#361 Trickypig

Trickypig

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:47 AM

Those kite boarders are going to need to do more than 75 mph in their skinny trenches to beat that. That's going to be fecking dangerous IF they could get to those sort of speeds.

#362 Turkey Slapper

Turkey Slapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:06 AM

How much quicker to get to the allusive 4th mode?

#363 eliboat

eliboat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:58 AM

Just read a good interview on clarksail.com where Larso talks a little bit more about the fairings that have made this impressive jump in speed possible. Really interesting stuff; it's pretty amazing how critical small tweaks to the foil package become when the speeds start getting into the scary fast region.

#364 Cavandish

Cavandish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:59 AM

Speculating that maybe the silence here from VSR2 is because they are negotiating with someone who is willing to pay real money for the video and story. And who would blame them, they deserve a big reward.

That would be very good reason not to post on youtube or on another public domain and honestly, i hadn't thought of that.

Although i think if my actions requesting, likely an college intern, check out a story and possibly send it up the chain had the rather unlikely result of a phone call from ESPN studios, i would certainly consider it my good deed for the day.

I would even go so far as to say that stories such as this one carry an inspirational value that is powerful enough to bring more people to the sport as a whole. A far wider exposure, of their success through adversity, is more than deserved, it is imperative.

As i see it from where i sit, it is the moments like these are what catches the imaginations of the next generation who will pursue raising the bar even higher. Over dramatic? maybe, but it has been a pretty awesome year for science and engineering.

#365 Tunnel Rat

Tunnel Rat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:09 AM

I would put the silence down to a monumental hangover.

#366 gimmee

gimmee

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:15 AM

Damn. They are so far beyond anything out on the water right now, it's ridiculous! Congrats Larson! Y'all are kicking ass.

DoRag strangely silent obviously !

#367 Barkley

Barkley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,947 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:25 AM

Larso, crew, and Vestas. I've been following along for quite a few years now, and finally - FINALLY - your persistence has been rewarded in spades. You didn't break the record, you CRUSHED it. Very well done, with style!

#368 eliboat

eliboat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:02 AM

Sorry... wont let me edit the link. Here is the correct link: clarksail.com

#369 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,197 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:44 AM

Actually i did make a very modest attempt at that and filled out a feedback form on ESPN.com, got a generic auto response and then a second with a link directed to an on-line form for the "outside the lines" segment. Maybe if we all spam the "submit a link" thingy on "Sports Nation" it could happen. First however, we need a link to a video to spam ;) .Great story, gripping footage and history made through adversity. Certainly worth a segment.

If you know of a story that could make a compelling Outside the Lines segment, use the link below:
http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=1550773

Done! Added the youtube links and nroose's screen shot.

Posted Image

#370 Willy Clark

Willy Clark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:48 AM

The word from Larso - http://clarksail.com...ockets-big-day/

Best,
Willy

#371 Fasterdamnit

Fasterdamnit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:33 AM

The word from Larso - http://clarksail.com...ockets-big-day/

Best,
Willy

Thanks, Willy!!!

#372 DickDastardly

DickDastardly

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,633 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:30 AM

I can't imagine how fast the thing would go if they painted the rudder and foil orange too.

#373 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,113 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:39 AM

It's funny because there is a RIB that our Yacht Club owns with a 250 hp engine that can do 68 knots!!

...that rather puts things in perspective!! :blink: :blink: :o

#374 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,113 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:36 AM

....the next few posts cover's the story and background pretty well,,,
.............still waiting for the head-cam view of saturday's run though :ph34r:

http://www.gizmag.co...tm_medium=email

SAILROCKET runs 65.45 knots (75 mph) to smash World Speed Sailing Record

By Mike Hanlon
November 23, 2012

139 Pictures
Posted Image

Paul Larsen in the Vestas Sailrocket 2 records 59.38 knots (68.3 mph - 110 km/h) on Walvis Bay, Namibia. Meanwhile at the Luderitz Speed Challenge, sailboarders broke more than a dozen speed sailing records with Antoine Albeau recording 52.05 knots (59.9 mph - 96.4 km/h).Image Gallery (139 images)

Warm Weather Deodorant - Secret.com/Waterproof-Deodorant
Stay Dry this Summer with Secret® Clinical Strength Waterproof!Ads by Google
NEWS FLASH - The outright world speed sailing record was smashed this afternoon (November 24) by Paul Larsen in the Vestas Sailrocket 2 with the astonishing time of 65.37 knots. (75.23 mph - 121.06 km/h). See Paul's blog for the very latest as it happens.The below article was posted just a few hours before the latest new record was run and has not been changed.
In a spectacular week for sailing, more than a dozen world speed sailing records have been broken at two different venues in Namibia. The outright speed sailing records for both 500 meters (59.38 knots) and one nautical mile (55.32 kts) were set in Walvis Bay by Australian Paul Larsen and the British-designed, inclined-rig hydrofoil Vestas SailRocket 2. Simultaneously, 600 km away, the annual Luderitz Speed Challenge has seen nine world outright speed records for sailboards established in just a week, including surpassing 50 knots (92.6 km/h) and 60 mph (52.14 kts). The breaking of world records is almost certain to continue over the coming weeks, with Larsen focussed on breaking the 60 knot (111.12 km/h - 69.05 mph) barrier and the now legendary Luderitz Speed Challenge continuing until December 16, with kiteboarders joining the event on December 3.
In a spectacular week for sailing, more than a dozen world speed sailing records have been broken at two different venues in Namibia. The outright speed sailing records for both 500 meters (59.38 knots) and one nautical mile (55.32 kts) were set in Walvis Bay by Australian Paul Larsen and the British-designed, inclined-rig hydrofoil Vestas SailRocket 2.
Simultaneously, 600 km away, the annual Lüderitz Speed Challenge has seen nine world outright speed records for sailboards established in just a week, including surpassing 50 knots (92.6 km/h) and 60 mph (52.14 kts). This article covers not just the Vestas Sailrocket 2 records, but all of the Lüderitz Speed Challenge records of the last week, including Anders Bringdal's remarkable 51.34 knot run on an over-the-counter sailboard.

#375 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,113 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:39 AM

Posted Image
The breaking of world records is almost certain to continue over the coming weeks, with Larsen focused on breaking the 60 knot (111.12 km/h - 69.05 mph) barrier and the now legendary Luderitz Speed Challenge which continues until December 16, with kiteboarders joining the event on December 3. Lüderitz is a significant event for many reasons, the foremost being that like Bonneville Speed Week which did the same for land speed records, the event represents the democratization of speed sailing record attempts.
Posted Image
The Lüderitz Speed Challenge is an annual speed sailing event, first held in 2007 in Lüderitz, Namibia. The event is organised by ESF Events, managed and owned by Frederic Dasse and French kitesurfer Sebastien Cattelan, and is observed by the World Sailing Speed Record Council (WSSRC) and the International Sailing Federation (ISAF). This year sees the event held on a new man-made course which has thoroughly vindicated itself with a plethora of new records and many more almost certain to come over coming weeks.
Posted Image

The new outright world speed sailing record

Australian Paul Larsen, sailing the British-designed and -built Vestas SailRocket 2, an inclined rig Hydrofoil, set a new 500 meter speed sailing record last Friday (Nov 16) with a 59.23 knot run in Walvis Bay, Namibia.
Posted Image
Last Sunday (Nov 18, 2012), Larsen set a new record for the nautical mile at 55.32 knots while pushing the 500 meter record to 59.38 knots.
Both of the Vestas Sailrocket team's technical leads, being Sailrocket 2's designer Malcolm Barnsley and George Dadd, flew from the U.K. to join the team in Namibia two days ago, with a view to being on hand for what are expected to be further record breaking feats, with the action set to begin again on Saturday, November 24, Namibian time. Interested parties can follow Paul and the team live on Twitter.
Posted Image
All three records (one on Friday and two on Sunday) are still awaiting World Speed Sailing Record Council (WSSRC) ratification, though a run November 12 (2012) which saw Larsen extend his own 49.19 kt World “B” Division (150-235 square feet of sail) Speed Sailing Record (set last year at the same venue) to 54.08 kts, has already been ratified.
http://images.gizmag.com/inline/world-speed-sailing-record-kiteboard-sailboard-2012-229.jpg
As the name suggests, the Vestas Sailrocket 2 is the second Sailrocket, having been launched in March, 2011. The boat was designed by Malcolm Barnsley and built in the Vestas R&D facility on the Isle of Wight (UK).
The first Vestas Sailrocket became the fastest sailing boat on the planet on December 3, 2008 with a 500 meter average of 47.366 knots, though it was still shy of the outright speed sailing record of 49.09 knots established earlier that year (March 5) by the windsurfer of Antoine Albeau.
During the 47.366 knot run, Larsen reached an unofficial peak speed of 52.22 knots, but on the very next run, it performed some death-defying acrobatics and destroyed significant parts of the boat.
http://images.gizmag.com/inline/world-speed-sailing-record-kiteboard-sailboard-2012-236.jpg

Larsen wrote in his blog on September 9, 2009, reflecting not so much on the dark cloud of the disaster as the silver lining it presented: "It may well turn out that the timing of the last failure was perfect. With a destroyed steering system and without the distraction of going sailing, Malcolm, George and I sat down with a clean sheet of paper to completely redesign Vestas Sailrocket's control systems."
His prophecy turned out to be very accurate, as the extraordinary Sailrocket 2 now appears to have brought all the technologies together to push past the 60 kt mark.
http://images.gizmag.com/inline/world-speed-sailing-record-kiteboard-sailboard-2012-238.jpg
The main fuselage and beam of the Vestas Sailrocket 2 are angled at 20 degrees to the direction of travel so the boat points directly into the direction of the ‘apparent’ wind at high speed to both reduce drag and increase stability.
The entire boat including rigging has an aerodynamic drag equivalent to that of a 74 cm diameter sphere and is capable of a three to one boat speed to wind speed ratio.
Larsen runs a blog covering his exploits in the Vestas Sailrocket 2 team and it's well worth a read. His latest posting covers the record run itself and it is quite extensive ... highly recommended.
http://images.gizmag.com/inline/world-speed-sailing-record-kiteboard-sailboard-2012-217.jpg
For those interested in the design and array of technologies used in making the fastest sailing boat on the planet, there's no shortage of detail on the site, with detailed explanations of the objectives based on the lessons of the first Vestas Sailrocket, the subsequent design criteria, and a range of topics such as "power without overturning", "living with cavitation", "evolution from VSR1", the construction, dimensions, details of the Wing-Sail and more. It's actually surprising that so much information is freely available in such a competitive endeavor.
http://images.gizmag.com/inline/world-speed-sailing-record-kiteboard-sailboard-2012-210.png
The speed sailing records and how they fell

Four decades ago, in 1972, the World Speed Sailing Record Council (WSSRC) was established by the International Yacht Racing Union (now the International Sailing Federation) to provide impartial ratification of speed attempts by sailing watercraft (it doesn't cover ice- or land-based sailcraft).
Initially, it was decided to base such speed ratifications on a one-way leg of exactly 500 metres. Since then, the brief of the WSSRC has expanded, and a range of records are administered by the Council - perhaps most significantly, the council has legitimized a challenge to mankind, and the old adage that "competition improves the breed" has proven to be true once more.

#376 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,113 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:43 AM

Posted Image
Tim Colman (later to become Sir Timothy Colman for his exploits), was the first to claim a world record with his Proa, Crossbow.
Colman set about writing the record books with Crossbow and his subsequent catamaran Crossbow II, setting the first seven outright world speed sailing records, beginning in 1972 with 26.3 knots in Crossbow, and finishing in 1980 with a run of 36 knots which saw him hold the title until 1986 when the era of the windsurfer began.
The era of the windsurfer Pt 1

The first windsurfer to take the outright speed sailing title was Frenchman Pascal Maka in 1986, the first of 11 French world speed sailing records established on sailboards, aided significantly by the purpose-built "French Trench" near the French Mediterranean coastal town of Saintes Maries de la Mer.
The Saintes Maries de la Mer Speed Canal (AKA "the Canal") is 1,100 metres long and 30 metres wide and was specifically built and orientated so that speed windsurfers could take advantage of the famous Mistral wind which blows off the Mediterranean.
Posted Image
The above images were clipped from this video covering the 1981 Weymouth Speed Trials. Jurgen Honscheid was the fastest sailboarder in the world in 1981, though sailboarding was still in its infancy and his speed of 24.75 knots was roughly two-thirds of the speed of Tim Colman's Crossbow II which held the outright speed sailing record at that time. As can be seen, the humble sailboard has progressed rather rapidly, more than doubling in just three decades.
Posted Image
Erik Beale of Great Britain used the "French Trench" to become the first sailor to broach the 40 kt mark in 1988, and with the exception of Simon McKeon's 1993 46.52 kt record set in the radical trimaran Yellow Pages Endeavour at Sandy Point in Australia, "The Canal" was the venue for seven of the next eight world speed sailing records - all of them on windsurfers.
Beale's record was subsequently eclipsed by Maka again, then Thierry Bielak set three consecutive records on the Saintes Maries de la Mer Speed Canal before Simon McKeon wrested the title back from the sailboard for the sailboat, though traditional sailors might not recognise the much closer relative of the genre.
Yellow Pages Endeavour

Posted Image

The Yellow Pages Endeavour was a radical trimaran designed and built in Melbourne, Australia. The Yellow Pages Endeavour achieved 46.52 knots (53.5 mph or 86.2 km/h) at Sandy Point, near Victoria's Wilson's Promontory with Simon McKeon at the helm.

#377 shaggybaxter

shaggybaxter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:43 AM

I can't imagine how fast the thing would go if they painted the rudder and foil orange too.

I think they did, but they only used the paint rated up to 65knots and, ah well..... :)

#378 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,113 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:46 AM

Posted Image
McKeon went on to pilot the subsequent Macquarie Innovation project which became the fastest sailboat in the world briefly in 2009 and significantly, the first sailboat to exceed 50 knots. McKeon was named "Australian of the Year" in 2011.
The era of the windsurfer Pt 2

One might reasonably have expected that high-tech, big-dollar, purpose-built sailboats would retain and extend the world outright speed sailing record from that point forth, and it seems that perhaps the sailboarding fraternity thought likewise, as Yellow Pages held the outright 500 meter world speed sailing record for more than a decade (from October, 1993 to November, 2004), despite its narrow margin of just 1.18 knots over the previous record.
Then along came sailboarder Finian Maynard, who used the French Trench to push sailboarding back to the forefront of speed sailing by just 0.3 knots (to 46.82 knots) in 2003, and then extending that record again with a more substantial margin in 2004 to 48.7 knots.
These days, Maynard works with Dan Kaseler at Avanti Sails where he continues in both product development whilst competing, at the same time as holding the title of General Manager.
Frenchman Antoine Albeau was the last windsurfer to hold the outright speed sailing record when he used "The Canal" to record a speed of 49.09 knots in 2008, a speed that has only been exceeded on a windsurfer in the last week, albeit twenty times.
Posted Image
Albeau's record will almost certainly be the last outright world sailing speed record held by a sailboard, as a policy established in 2005 had meant that kite-boarders were not eligible to hold the Outright World Sailing Speed Record but the WSSRC removed this policy in 2008 catalyzing a raft of new activity, and kiteboards are clearly faster than sailboards.
The era of the kiteboard Pt 1

The second Luderitz Speed Challenge for both kiteboards and sailboars was held in September/October 2008, and with kiteboards suddenly eligible, the outright World Speed Sailing Record began to progress rapidly.
Posted Image
American Robbie Douglas became the first kiteboarder to hold the outright World Speed Sailing Record with a run of 49.84 knots (92.30 km/h) during the Luderitz event on September 20.

Posted Image
Then Frenchman Sebastien Cattelan pushed it above the milestone figure of 50 knots with a run of 50.26 kts on October 3. Like the four minute mile for runners before it, once the barrier had been breached, it didn’t take long for it to be broken again and again.
Posted Image
Another French kite-boarder, Alexandre Caizergues pushed the record to 50.57 kts on October 4. Significantly, Douglas also ran over 50 knots before the 2008 Luderitz Speed Challenge was over, establishing the "big three" of kiteboarding
New thinking yields the radical l'Hydroptere -

The French l'Hydroptere is the most advanced sailing boat on Planet Earth at this moment.
http://images.gizmag.com/inline/world-speed-sailing-record-kiteboard-sailboard-2012-257.jpg
The work of Alain Thébault and the late Éric Tabarly, the multihull hydrofoil l'Hydroptère project began in 1984, borrowing heavily from aeronautical technologies.
http://images.gizmag.com/inline/world-speed-sailing-record-kiteboard-sailboard-2012-254.jpg
Experimentation was initially confined to a one-third scale model until l'Hydroptère was launched in 1994. In 2005, the project came under the patronage of Swiss banker, Thierry Lombard, enabling the cash-starved Thébault the liquidity to develop his yacht for speed sailing and the first major achievement of l'Hydroptere became the crossing of the English Channel which it did at a 33 knot average the same year.
http://images.gizmag.com/inline/world-speed-sailing-record-kiteboard-sailboard-2012-268.JPG
From there, l'Hydroptere has gathered all before it, taking the outright World Speed Sailing Record for a nautical mile in 2007, and then re-setting the mark a futher three time.

#379 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,113 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:47 AM

The era of the kiteboard Pt 2

Once more, it might have been reasonably expected that with l'Hydroptere on the water, the outright World Speed Sailing Record would become the exclusive domain of big-dollar teams, but the Luderitz Speed Challenge of 2010 saw five kiteboarders exceed Hydroptere's record, with the big three all taking turns at holding the title, with American Robbie Douglas finally prevailing to push the outright World Speed Sailing Record to an astonishing 55.65 knots using a Cabrinha Switchblade kite and a custom board built by Mike Zajicek.
Posted Image
Douglas' record has now been broken by Paul Larsen and the Vestas Sailrocket 2, though Douglas, Alexandre Caizergues and Sebastien Cattelan will all get an opportunity to attack Larsen's record over the next few weeks on the new Luderitz course and if the efforts of the windsurfers over the last week is any indication, Larsen's record is far from safe.
In the last week, five windsurfers (Anders Bringdal 51.34 kts, Patrick Diethelm 50.49 kts, Jurjen Van der Noord 50.41 kts and Cedric Bordes 50.17 kts and Antoine Albeau 52.05) have exceeded the 50 knot mark when the fastest speed ever recorded by a sailboard previously was Antione Albeau's 49.09 kts in 2008. A similar improvement for the kiteboarders would bring Paul Larsen's new outright record within a gnat's whisker.
The accessibility of sailboarding and kiteboarding

Perhaps the most interesting aspect of the Luderitz Speed Challenge is the speed being achieved by people with over-the-counter equipment costing hundreds rather than the millions of dollars spent on the high tech sailboats which just narrowly shade them for the outright world speed sailing record.
Posted Image
Anders Bringdal of Sweden is just fractions of a second behind the fastest sailboarder in history, Antoine Albeau, and many are referring to the sailboarding segment of the 2012 Luderitz Speed Challenge as "the Antoine and Anders Show".
Posted Image
Bringdal's achievements are astonishing when it is considered that he has achieved 51.45 knots over 500 meters on a standard sailboard, emphasizing the accessibility of the sport to the average person.
Anders is using a production Mistral 41cm board, an NP Evo 5.8m sail and a

#380 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,113 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:51 AM

Posted Image
Zara Davis, the fastest woman sailboarder in history is also using a production Mistral Speed 41cm board and a stock 2012 5.5m Simmer SCR sail.

.......last week's run..........

#381 ITA602

ITA602

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:Sail more & work less, snowboarding, reading a good book.

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:17 AM

Go plug in the Flux Capacitor and shoot for 88mph!!!
Posted Image

I've finished the thumbs to put them up!!!

#382 larso

larso

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:34 AM

Hey all, We are working as quick as our small team can to share this with you via video and the like. It's a constant job just to make my e-mail list go down rather than up. It's a bloody big job to make these videos. The new cameras generate such massive files and the pro cameras Ben is shooting on still use tape so all the footage has to be digitised and stored for editing. All this means we have 3 1 terabyte hard drives feeding into one smoking Mac laptop. Ben is a pro at this and is working 24 hours a day on it. Whilst his computer is crunching footage... he's outside setting up interviews and sharing imagery with media. I'm so glad we focused on bringing someone of his capabilities down here.
I've decided that I'm done for this session. It's Helenas turn... but the forecast looks dead flat from here on in. It might change. We will be on a plane in 8 days. I'm not even sure if we should ship the boat back or not. I'm sure this boat can see the other side of 70. The only reason she stopped going quicker was because the leeward side of the boat was flying too high. The way we resolve that is to stand the rig up some more. This gives both power and stability. It's all good. In theory we should be maxxing out the foil... but it's how it behaves when it starts reaching its limits that is interesting. The boat and the concept it is based on has so much power to drag stuff down the course that it's alarming. That was the design goal of this boat..."let's not simply focus on the foil... let's build the platform that will give ANY FOIL the best possible chance of hitting its limits... then we will worry about the foil". I think we have seen this power played out by the fact that the boat has dragged every 'shape' and size we have put on it down the course at over 52 knots. To go faster we can add more power i.e. sail in more wind OR reduce drag... or both. There are other foil concepts that are worth exploring. We chose this one as we considered it to be the safe option.
I'm so happy with how the team performed last saturday. We took on the big day with a view to winning... not just competing. Mother nature delivered us one hour of perfection for this whole 28 day record attempt. The other days were good... but for 1 hour it was strong and rock steady... 28,29,29,29,29,28,29,27,27,29.... Helena was just reading out the same numbers over the VHF. Industrial Walvis Bay wind. It has been mentioned that we had one from being the hunter to the hunted... I sort of played along... but a little deeper down I knew we still had a job to be finished. When we knocked Rob off the top spot we had topped their leader... now we were coming back to wipe the village out. We did three runs that day. The first two didn't quite go right. We topped over 61 knots on the first two but just didn't get the average. We wanted to finish it once and for all and by the third run we were hungry to tear it apart. It started badly but we recovered and got onto the course. I was checking for damage as we accelerated through 60 knots but the speed was epic so I knew I had to keep the hammers down. This was it.
Anyway, it's time to write the blog properly so I'll finish it there. If we had have missed that hour and not got started... that would have been it. 59.38 would be the mark. I believe that the kiters can beat this. I don't think they will get near 65.45 with what they have now. If any of the kiters can actually pull off a 60 knot run it will be super impressive and we won't feel so untouchable. The thing is that we are not at our limits. This boat will see the other side of 70 oneday. It nearly did the other day. It's awake now and it's still hunting. You have to consider that at some early stage of the design process we had the discussion "What limits are we designing for"? We set a speed as the Vne for the craft but even that has safety margins. The answer to that question is the big one. that's our secret.
The concept still doesn't even have a name. Bernard Smith used to call them Aero-Hydrofoils but I personally don't feel that quite explains it. Homage must be paid to that wonderful guy some way or another.
Right, so the video is coming. Some of the angles we have captured are fantastic. I can't wait to see it myself.
I called our local Champagne dealer yesterday morning... She answered with "F**k off" and hung up. That's a sign that things are going well

#383 Tucky

Tucky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:44 AM

Thanks, Paul, for everything, and congratulations again to you and everybody.

#384 ThrillSeeker

ThrillSeeker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:45 AM

65.45kts!!! That is scary fast! Congratulations to Paul and whole team. Your sharing of information and video has been delightfully exciting to follow. Hats off to your impressive achievement!

Your canted wing and foil arrangement is truly an elegant solution. Where does it stop? What is next?

Maybe an improved course with flatter water?

Maybe a forward wing to fly the nose instead of planning?

More foil technology development?

What will be the next design speed target?

#385 Alpha FB

Alpha FB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:56 AM

I called our local Champagne dealer yesterday morning... She answered with "F**k off" and hung up. That's a sign that things are going well

Simply EPIC !!!

And just another big applause and congratulations from this end for an incredible journey to 68... AND BEYOND!

#386 Mexican

Mexican

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:00 PM

Thanks for the update, Paul. Trust the hangover is coming along nicely.

Cheers

Mex

#387 JimC

JimC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,742 posts
  • Interests:Dinghies, especially box rule classes.

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:10 PM

> emphasizing the accessibility of the sport to the average person.
Or at least the accessibility of the sport to the average person who just happens to have a custom made speed trench on the local beach...

#388 shaggybaxter

shaggybaxter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:15 PM

Hey Paul,
We've had a great idea, we're going to get the Dean bros to sneak in overnight and dig up Queen street in Brissy and turn it into a new world class speed circuit.
However I think the boys in the whitsundays have already started, the main drag in Airlie is completely dug up, all we have to do is wait for the wet season to kick in....
Or we get the grollos to do the same in Melbourne ...
Congrats to all involved, you've made our week!
SB

#389 HASYB

HASYB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

Thanks for staying on Earth & sharing.

Cheers

#390 Dale dug a hole

Dale dug a hole

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts
  • Interests:Digging holes

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:32 PM

Hey Paul,
We've had a great idea, we're going to get the Dean bros to sneak in overnight and dig up Queen street in Brissy and turn it into a new world class speed circuit.
However I think the boys in the whitsundays have already started, the main drag in Airlie is completely dug up, all we have to do is wait for the wet season to kick in....
SB

Yep, work is under way.

Posted Image

Day and night

Posted Image

#391 oem

oem

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:12 PM

I guessed the Champagne would become the main issue...just like the outboard motors, always the little things that stuff up... Well done fella, another great explanation of the process.. cant wait to see the video...

#392 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:23 PM

Scary, scary, fast.

I think one thing people need to remember is that with record was first established with a specific one way craft, that speaks volumes as to the intention. Almost more remarkable is that a blue water capable craft such as Hydrophere was able to hold the title at all and that a craft as "simple" as a kite board could be combined with a seriously extraordinary sailor and up the ante. If anything sailrocket brings the record back to its origins with a healthy dose of bravado. To add more qualifiers in terms of capabilities beyond on water, wind only propulsion over 500m is absurd. Crossbow was a one way proa on the cutting edge.

Hydrophere could travel to its destination over the ocean and Rob Douglas could transport his record breaking craft as checked baggage. However as it stands neither have proven faster over 500m on the water under power from only the wind. Among them i simply can see no losers, just different flavors of pure badassery.

Downplaying the event because the craft couldn't complete a passage or travel around the cans make about as much sense as commenting that Ecotricity Greenbird wouldn't complete a typical highway commute or win a rally race.

Really well said!

Tim Colman, Rob Douglas Alain Thebault and Chris Larson.......they are all gods of speed and I bet they have the utmost respect for each others achievements .

Incidentally, last month was the 40th anniversary of Crossbow's record. According to an article in a local Norfolk news website http://www.edp24.co....rs_on_1_1663606 , Crossbow is still preserved sitting in pieces under a tarp in Tim Collman's barn. Wouldnt it be amazing for one museaum to house all these craft in one place as one exhibit on the history of speed sailing. Hell I'd visit it in a nano second to see first hand ; Crossbow, Yellow pages, Rob Douglas's record setting board...and now Vestas 2. What a tribute that would be to these heroes of speed. Let's do it before their craft get dispersed, broken up etc and lost for all time.

Attached File  tim colman.jpg   38.17K   7 downloads
Tim Collman- 40 years on.

#393 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

Vestas stock was up 22% in the Danish stock market today!

Its been a good weekend in Copenhagen.

#394 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,937 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:33 PM

...that rather puts things in perspective!! :blink: :blink: :o

Yup. Rather shows the elegance of VSR. Wonder how much drag she's generating at 65kts? Rather less than 250hp equivalent, I would expect.

#395 Kedge

Kedge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:51 PM

"Vestas stock was up 22% in the Danish stock market today!"

And for morons like me who bought in in 2008 (renewables...warm fuzzy feelings and all that crap), that means we just need another 2000% increase and we might see our money back
Not my best call

#396 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,113 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:04 PM

Hey Paul,
SB

.........yeh,,,I guess yer've got GS to provide the 'wind' :mellow: :lol:

#397 yowie

yowie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,371 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:05 PM

Outstanding effort.
Well done to Vestas and the team.
Awesome.
I cant get my head around steering 20 degrees of lee helm at 65 knots...

#398 EthanB

EthanB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:15 PM

I'm sure Larso and crew will be along soon but these shots from face book are just awsome.
Attached File  575324_558921324133539_562825857_n.jpg   73.9K   422 downloads

Attached File  575087_558921550800183_504870843_n.jpg   71.17K   399 downloads

Where on Facebook? When I search for "sailrocket", I get two pages but both look inactive.

#399 JWBooth

JWBooth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:Proud Co-founder and Ring Leader of the White Trash Circus:
    Local 270 Western Kentucky Chapter

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:19 PM

My mind is blown. Absolute Pure Sailing Fury. Congrats to Team 'Rocket.

Obviously a 70 knot run is in order... How much farther can you speed freaks push the envelope?

#400 Frazzled

Frazzled

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:49 PM

Marketing contact at Vestas ref SailRocket - should you wish to spread some love back to them for funding it:
Mikkel Friis-Thomsen, Media & External Relations
Tel: +45 4098 3174
Mail: Mifit@vestas.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users