5 replies to this topic

#1 inspired

inspired

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:38 AM

I'm trying to get the MOB function working on my nexus gear but not getting the results I expect.
I have a nexus log and wind transducer and a gps aerial(garmin 17x_HVS) feeding the FDX server. Output is to a multicontrol display and nexus classic wind display. Everything is operating ok.
When I push the MOB button, I get an alarm, the multicontrol display goes blank (no data) and "D/R" appears in the bottom rh corner. I've changed settings on the multicontrol display but always get the same result. Any suggestions.

#2 Mogle

Mogle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Interests:Shorthanded Sailing
    Offshore racing
    RORC
    Long distance Cruising

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:43 PM

I got a good number of NX2 instruments including FDX Server. I do not have a seperate MOB button!

Did you install a seperate MOB button?

#3 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,849 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:02 PM

They sell a generic button that can be used for the trim functions or MOB. The button gets wired directly to terminals on the FDX server. Mine always goes into 'dead reckoning' mode on the multifunction displays when the button is pushed, although the manual says it should be in GPS mode if a GPS 'navigator' is connected. Maybe this is true only if the Nexus GPS unit is used -- in my setup I have GPS data fed to the Nexus via NMEA.

The D/R actually works, I have tested it in simulated MOB trials. Arguably, in an area with current and windage/leeway, it is better than a GPS fix as the MOB will be drifting.

Here is the button itself. http://www.chicagoma...ush_Buttton.htm

Posted Image

#4 inspired

inspired

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:18 AM

I bought a couple of waterproof pushbutton momentary switches from ebay, not as neat as the switch above but more suited to my budget. I've wired it up so i can easily change from MOB to trim function but need a compass for that to happen. I'm on the look out for a nexus compass to connect to the server if anyone has one to offer.
Pogen, good to read your MOB works with D/R. That is the better option. I don't think the GPS aerial is my problem as the Garmin outputs the same nmea sentences as the nexus. I'm reading position and SOG/COG data on my multicontrol display ok also outputting position details to the DSC VHF radio so the GPS data is being processed in the server. I'm guessing one of the settings is not correct. Instead of D/R appearing on the screen, I think I should be getting MOB.
I haven't tried using waypoints on the nexus system as i use my handheld gps or laptop for navigating. I'll try this soon as it may lead to the solution I need.

#5 inspired

inspired

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:55 PM

I contacted nexus, for the MOB button to work with the GPS, the navigator display unit is required. Thats not how I was reading the multicontrol instrument manual. So now my options are to get a nexus compass, find a another use for the button, or buy the navigator (unlikely).

#6 jarcher

jarcher

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:41 PM

The entire Nexus system is MUCH more useful with a compass.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users