13 replies to this topic

#1 bammiller

bammiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:13 PM

I have a customer trying to install a cruising gennaker on this 23' day sailor. There really isnt a decent location to put an anchor roller or prod, or even a bow sprit; does anyone have any ideas or solutions to be able to attach a block for the tackline, forward of the headstay?

Attached File  IMG_0373.jpg   127.8K   300 downloads

Bam MIller

#2 sailman

sailman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,814 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:39 PM

I have a customer trying to install a cruising gennaker on this 23' day sailor. There really isnt a decent location to put an anchor roller or prod, or even a bow sprit; does anyone have any ideas or solutions to be able to attach a block for the tackline, forward of the headstay?

Attached File  IMG_0373.jpg   127.8K   300 downloads

Bam MIller

I had the same issue on my boat. I tied a block to the stem fitting under the furling drum. Works just fine, no chafe.

#3 WHL

WHL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,690 posts
  • Interests:Offshore, Star, Farr 30, R Boat racing, and gunkholing in classic daysailers

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:52 PM

Being a cruising gennaker, then he may be better off to use the "Tacker" available at West Marine. As the headsail wouldn;t be in use, attach the tackline block to the headsail tack fitting on deck
Attached File  Tacker.jpg   62.41K   144 downloads.

#4 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:23 PM

Bam,

The boat already has a pad eye/ u-bolt where you can attach a Dyneema bobstay to and you can make him a V-Shape prod in SS that projects 1 foot from the bow and screws onto the side of the rails. Weld a ring to the tip and you are good to go. Probably not a super cheap solution, but certainly effective and strong.

#5 Soley

Soley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts
  • Interests:Take a guess. It ain't too hard.....

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:11 PM

I would go with WHL's idea. Simple, cheap. Perfect for a small cruiser.

#6 P2 Marine

P2 Marine

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:15 PM

I'd take advantage of those two empty holes in the stemhead fitting. You could take stainless plates and attach them to the outside of the stemhead fitting by through-bolting them, then pin the outboard with a bushing where you could attach a shackle and/or block. If you wanted to get jiggy with it you could do it with G10, shape it and skin it with some glass so that it looked pretty.

Cheers,
Rob

#7 pickles

pickles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:52 AM

1st I'dd remove the twist shackle on the forstay and make the boat a nice set of link plates.

2nd I'dd look at drilling a hole in the chain plate under the hole for the forstay pin and put a ronstan RF62 Thru-Deck Bushing, With a bit of sealant/ glue of your choice. Then run the tack line through that. You may need to weld on a doubler to the front of the chain plate to keep the same strength with a 13mm hole but I'm sure you can work that out easy enough.

#8 markvannote

markvannote

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:39 PM

Bam,

You can probably make up something sweet when you build him a proper length headstay, etc. You aren't going to leave that mess now that we all know you have seen it, are you?

Mark

#9 bammiller

bammiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:43 AM

That's a rather unique solution for connecting the headstay, right?

Am going to kill 2 birds with one stone - nice twist shackle, right - just wanted to have a solution in hand to get both done at the same time.

Bam

#10 George Hackett

George Hackett

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:59 AM

P2 Marine brought up a good point. i am wondering. can the forestay fitting be set back several holes to allow a Tack Block to be attached?

I'd take advantage of those two empty holes in the stemhead fitting. You could take stainless plates and attach them to the outside of the stemhead fitting by through-bolting them, then pin the outboard with a bushing where you could attach a shackle and/or block. If you wanted to get jiggy with it you could do it with G10, shape it and skin it with some glass so that it looked pretty.

Cheers,
Rob

#11 islandplanet

islandplanet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:38 AM

Being a cruising gennaker, then he may be better off to use the "Tacker" available at West Marine. As the headsail wouldn;t be in use, attach the tackline block to the headsail tack fitting on deck
Attached File  Tacker.jpg   62.41K   144 downloads.

Tacker is certainly suitable for this application. I'd check price at ATN rather than just buy from West Marine - www.atninc.com
Etienne, the owner and founder of ATN offers them direct, and if you can it's nice to do business with him directly. Nice guy who has contributed a lot to sailing.

#12 FRENZY

FRENZY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:24 PM

Tie a simple line to the bow fitting with two loops, one 12" for reaching and another 20" for running. The second loop will allow him to rotate the sail a bit to push downwind.
Simple, cheap, works and did I mention simple. A guy with a boat like this is not looking to drag every inch of speed out of the boat that he needs a complicated solution, he just wants to fly a kite.

#13 Mauri Pro

Mauri Pro

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:54 PM

Bam, call me. We just did a similar project.

Best,

Juan

#14 Yesac13

Yesac13

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:34 PM

That furler isn't attached properly.

There is no need for that twist shackle. Just unscrew the bottom part of the CDI furler (2 or 4 screws) and turn it partway so that the drum hole lines up right. I know this because the forestay hole on my sailboat is arranged in the same way which screws up the drum hole (furler line goes out sideways, so had to adjust furler).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users