26 replies to this topic

#1 dgkidder

dgkidder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:46 PM

I've now got to move the Maas Boat Company and that means I can no longer sit on the tooling for the Hoot (www.gohoot.com) waiting for the economy for small boats to improve. It is really a fun boat. It's really fast and car toppable. I put over $250k into the development -- money I'll never see again -- but I would hate to cut up the molds and sell off the remaining bit parts. I am willing to give all the tooling away to a good home. All the bits (booms, masts, sails, hardware) I will sell for a nominal price.

Send me an e-mail if you're interested. dgkidder@gmail.com.

Doug

#2 G.R.F.

G.R.F.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:15 PM

Why? I've been following this for several years, can fully understand the delays, but why just give it up now, surely having waited so long? There's also a trend to US built products being exported in other leisure fields, isn't it worth one last try at selling some, it looked like you were almost there...

Really sorry to read this, I thought you were just biding your time and had other things on the go..

A great pity. Having said all that, no, I didn't pony up with a deposit so should probably wind my neck in..

#3 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,525 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:21 PM

I'll put this on the front page if you want Doug.

#4 Rum Runner

Rum Runner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:58 PM

Sorry to hear. I think we all know the boat business is really tough. Good luck with the next stage in your life.

#5 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,282 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:31 PM

sorry to hear Doug.

#6 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,525 posts
  • Interests:...pimping HOOTs
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:04 PM

sorry to hear of this.
...hopefully you at least get an offer for royalties for boats built! ;)

...are the molds prepped for infusion??

#7 dgkidder

dgkidder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:28 PM

Sure. What the heck. The full story is that the Port of Richmond, CA has decided that, after almost 20 years in the same location that the building is "waterfront" and is therefore worth twice the rent. I politely disagree but now that we've got to move I feel like the Hoot should hopefully go somewhere that it will be appreciated and used. It is the same ruthless attitude I take towards my own boats -- if I'm not using it, I get it into the hands of someone who will.

The molds are in great shape.

Doug

sorry to hear of this.

Nope. Handlayup / vacuum bag.

#8 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,525 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:15 PM

...that was a beautiful location,,,a dream for a builder/sailor
......I can't imagine why they'd consider it as 'waterfront' :blink: ;)

#9 dgkidder

dgkidder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:30 PM

Yup. And it's been "waterfront" for all 20 years we've been there. There are empty buildings all through the Port, but now it's too valuable to rent.

#10 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,525 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:39 PM

Yup. And it's been "waterfront" for all 20 years we've been there. There are empty buildings all through the Port, but now it's too valuable to rent.

...the availability of workshops in the states is insane compared to prices in vancouver.
...I'm surprised that area of yours didn't get condo-ized years ago

...how many Hoot's did you get out the door?

#11 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:13 PM

That looks like a really fun boat ! http://www.gohoot.com/index.html sorry to hear about the shop.

I'm sorry to say I don't recall seeing those before - I hope you can find someone that can build some more of them. You guys ever market them (with a quoted $ and all) actively ?

I'd sure like to take one for a spin. Much as I dig the Moths, I doubt I could keep one of those intact very long - I mean to say, I can break a G-Shock watch... Simple is good.

#12 dgkidder

dgkidder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:31 PM

We never had more than three sailing at any given time. I think that there are three complete boats at the moment. It was really the marketing that stopped me. I sat down and started calculating how much it was going to cost to get to the boat shows, build demo boats, etc. and just decided that the economy didn't justify it. This is a great project for someone who loves to sail and is willing to focus on a local market for a few years until traction and fleets can be built. The amount of money spent on marketing to get a new boat scattered around the country is crazy. How many boats are there out there with 1 in Rhode Island, two in Texas, three in Chicago and one in Seattle? Better to build a local, solid fleet before going national. The boat is a handful in the typical 20 kt SF Bay conditions so a local fleet here didn't seem all that likely. It is just a magical boat in 10-15. It's a pain to sail in less than 3, starts planing to windward in about 8.

#13 Doug Lord

Doug Lord

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,123 posts
  • Interests:Foiler design and development,.........sailing fast,
    movable ballast systems and..... justice.

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:36 PM

We never had more than three sailing at any given time. I think that there are three complete boats at the moment. It was really the marketing that stopped me. I sat down and started calculating how much it was going to cost to get to the boat shows, build demo boats, etc. and just decided that the economy didn't justify it. This is a great project for someone who loves to sail and is willing to focus on a local market for a few years until traction and fleets can be built. The amount of money spent on marketing to get a new boat scattered around the country is crazy. How many boats are there out there with 1 in Rhode Island, two in Texas, three in Chicago and one in Seattle? Better to build a local, solid fleet before going national. The boat is a handful in the typical 20 kt SF Bay conditions so a local fleet here didn't seem all that likely. It is just a magical boat in 10-15. It's a pain to sail in less than 3, starts planing to windward in about 8.

==========================
Doug, sorry to hear this as I said earlier. I still have the Hoot main I bought from you and I guess I'll try it on a small tri in the next little while.
Good Luck!

#14 jackson19540316

jackson19540316

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Movies, Novel, Travel< sailling.

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:52 AM

Best of luck !!

#15 k_kirk

k_kirk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:18 AM

You know, I so wanted to get a Hoot. Fits my needs profile so much. The whole single person car toppable thing was what got my attention in the first place. Wish it came to be. Either way would like to wish you the best in your new endevours. Hope Hoot survives somehow. All the best.

#16 Manfred

Manfred

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • Interests:Sailing DN on hard water and all sorts of boats on soft water

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:57 AM

Sure. What the heck. The full story is that the Port of Richmond, CA has decided that, after almost 20 years in the same location that the building is "waterfront" and is therefore worth twice the rent. I politely disagree but now that we've got to move I feel like the Hoot should hopefully go somewhere that it will be appreciated and used. It is the same ruthless attitude I take towards my own boats -- if I'm not using it, I get it into the hands of someone who will.

The molds are in great shape.

Doug

sorry to hear of this.

Nope. Handlayup / vacuum bag.

hmm, if they are prepared for vacuum bagging they will have a flange and maybe that is good enough for an thin air tube to suck in the air, thus infusing from the bottom up. Sorry if a bit difficult to understand in my limited technical english but I have never seen a mould prepared for vac bagging, which does not suit infusion. But I am sure Doug knows more about it than me.

I was very keen about this boat when I first read about it in SA.com, but when nothing happened, I went foiling. I thought it looked much like a DIV II board with a balcony but a much nicer rig.

Hope it comes into good hands as it sits well between the Moth and the IC.

#17 Wildwavedesign

Wildwavedesign

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:14 PM

So why did the Hoot not work, and the Laser does ?

#18 Reht

Reht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:32 PM

So why did the Hoot not work, and the Laser does ?

Marketing? State of the economy? The changing times? Everyone has a laser? I could go on for a long time with plausible reasons.

Shame that it never got off the ground, I could definitely see the boat filling in a gap around here...

#19 dgkidder

dgkidder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:33 PM

Thanks for all the kind words. Here are some thoughts in no particular order:

A guy who has a shop up on the West Coast contacted me and we've got a deal for him to take the whole package. He seems to have the right approach and understanding of the project so I'm really hopeful that he will be able to make it work. I will be in line to buy one when he gets it into production.

Why did the Laser work? It's fun, fast, simple, bullet proof and cheap to build. The Laser was competing with the Sunfish (and other board boats) and the Force 5. Now the Laser is the competition and any new boat has to be better. Essentially it raised the bar. The Laser does have some shortcoming which the Hoot addresses: it is too heavy to easily cartop (yes I know it's done, but not by many people), the rig is now outdated, and it is slow relative to more modern designs. The tradeoff is that the Hoot is trickier to sail and more expensive (carbon isn't cheap).

The tooling does have enough of a flange that you could probably set up an infusion system.

I'm just really glad that there are others who understand the vision.

Doug

#20 mcsailor0303

mcsailor0303

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • Interests:Kiteboarding, Ladies, Beer, and SAILING

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:19 PM

That boat looks fun! Hope to see them on the market in the future!

#21 FishAintBiting

FishAintBiting

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:20 PM

Doug,

This is excellent news. I'll press my thumbs for you, crossing fingers do not work here, that it is successful.

Furthermore well done for having the character to let someone else take the reins (generally a hard thing for anyone to do)

May your winds be favourable.

Fish

#22 dgkidder

dgkidder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:15 PM

Thanks all. I've learned a lot from Sailing Anarchy over the years. In particular, my all-time favorite tag line form someone:

"We're so far beyond f**d that the light from f**d won't reach us for two years."

Doug

#23 notallthere

notallthere

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,668 posts
  • Interests:any sport that starts with S

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:27 PM

Yep, I have always liked the boat too and hope it has a production life at some point. Best of luck to all involved.

#24 yachtie2k4

yachtie2k4

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts
  • Interests:http://s56.photobucket.com/albums/g190/yachtie2k4/

Sailing Sailing Sailing Sailing Sailing Sailing Sailing RC boats, Virtual Skipper 5

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:20 AM

I hope it makes it all the way to Australia cause ever since I saw one I wanted one glad to hear it may a new lease on life

#25 blurocketsmate

blurocketsmate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:57 AM

I still want one of these. The girl carrying the hull under her arm did it for me!

I wonder if releasing the design for home builders would help build a fleet and a market.

#26 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:59 AM

A kit might be a thought.... IE you get the hull from Doug's molds, but are responsible for the fitting out and rigging of the rest of it

#27 Trovăo

Trovăo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,236 posts
  • Interests:sailing (pretty obvious, uhmm)preferentially on boats with more than one hull ;D

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:49 PM

I've now got to move the Maas Boat Company and that means I can no longer sit on the tooling for the Hoot (www.gohoot.com) waiting for the economy for small boats to improve. It is really a fun boat. It's really fast and car toppable. I put over $250k into the development -- money I'll never see again -- but I would hate to cut up the molds and sell off the remaining bit parts. I am willing to give all the tooling away to a good home. All the bits (booms, masts, sails, hardware) I will sell for a nominal price.

Doug

Doug

doug, did you receive the email (norberto.muhle at gmail dot com) i've sent you on october 22nd?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users