17 replies to this topic

#1 Tetonsail

Tetonsail

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Racing decimeter boats

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:56 PM

I currently own a Musto LPX smock that I think is great but way too hot. I was considering the Musto LPX or a Slam ATS. I know these are both $ but I usually keep my gear for a long time and don't mind spending a little money on it. Does anyone have any feedback about these two spray tops or have any other suggestions?

Thanks

#2 Mauri Pro

Mauri Pro

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:21 PM

Tetonsail,

What type of sailing are you doing? By lightweight, do you mean more like a dinghy spray top or a smock for a warmer climate?

Best,

Juan

#3 Tetonsail

Tetonsail

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:55 PM

Juan,

Thanks for replying! I mostly do keelboat racing in a frequently-warm climate. I am looking for a cool-lightweight, breathable top rather than light-lightweight marginally breathable top like some of the dingy tops I have used in the past.

Thanks

#4 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,684 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:33 PM

Juan,

Thanks for replying! I mostly do keelboat racing in a frequently-warm climate. I am looking for a cool-lightweight, breathable top rather than light-lightweight marginally breathable top like some of the dingy tops I have used in the past.

Thanks

You might look into kayaking spray tops - some of them are very light, and are made with "real" goretex.

Kokatat has a pretty nice one.

http://www.kokatat.c...jacket-men.html

#5 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:50 AM

The Racing Breathable Spraytop is a very good option made by Magic Marine that falls into the right needs you mention:

Posted Image

This is a very good all around spraytop, also very well priced. Is not the warmest of the Magic Marine, line and, in fact, is the lightest you can go with that still gets the job done.

Feel free to email, call us or log into our chat if need further details about it.

Cheers,

#6 Gorn FRANTIC!!

Gorn FRANTIC!!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:16 AM

Henri Lloyd Shockwave smock. Only lightweight smock with a hood.

#7 Mauri Pro

Mauri Pro

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:11 PM

Tetonsail,

I have been wearing the Zhik Isotak (is on the upper range of price but we really like it). One of the best features we found on this smock is that is long on the back so it keeps your lower back well protected when hiking hard on the rail.
Besides the SLAM ATS, another really good option is the SLAM Force 4 Spray Top, is helpful to have the ability to open the neck section (specially when going downwind).

Prices vary from:

Zhik Isotak ($459)
SLAM Force 4 SPray Top ($395)
SLAM ATS ($275)

Boat Show Season Discount: Redeem coupon BOATSHOW12 and get 10% off on all sailing clothing (offer ends Oct. 10th.)

Best,

Juan

#8 smv

smv

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:25 PM

What's really great about this smock is that it sets you up to do a series of experiments. Also, it's possibly the best looking piece of kit in my rack, so you'll have that:
-AND-
You will learn how to use OXY-Clean to try saving the shirts it will ruin when you wear it
-AND-
You will learn that the best way to wear it is by covering it with one of those disposable plastic rain parka's paired with carefully placed duct tape - very sharp look there
-AND-
You will learn what your own personal breaking point is where you accept the fact that you have wasted a couple hundred dollars on a worthless, but still great looking piece of gear
-OR-
You could buy something else.

#9 Merit 25

Merit 25

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:10 PM

Just bought one, but probably too heavy for what you're looking for.
http://www.sailingpr...969-lbprd-.aspx

#10 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,684 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:49 PM

Other than the Kokatat I posted above, most of the suggestions here are not particularly light.

Kokatat describes theirs as "featherweight", and it's pretty light.

It's also genuine Goretex, and is only about $180.

the Goretex has (i think) a lifetime warranty, and several people, including myself, have posted here about having Kokatat drysuits (typically about $900) replaced for _free_ many years after they were originally purchased.

They are a great company and I buy their stuff whenever I can.

#11 RickM

RickM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:29 PM

Atlantis Microburst Spray Top

http://www.atlantisw...urst-spray-top/

#12 savoir

savoir

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,977 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:51 PM

If you want something light take a look at the Henri Lloyd Cipher jacket which sells for around $120. Mine is the Breeze but it is just an earlier model of the same thing. It has sat in my gear bag for years as a spare and makes a great hot weather jacket.

#13 Tetonsail

Tetonsail

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:57 PM

What's really great about this smock is that it sets you up to do a series of experiments. Also, it's possibly the best looking piece of kit in my rack, so you'll have that:
-AND-
You will learn how to use OXY-Clean to try saving the shirts it will ruin when you wear it
-AND-
You will learn that the best way to wear it is by covering it with one of those disposable plastic rain parka's paired with carefully placed duct tape - very sharp look there
-AND-
You will learn what your own personal breaking point is where you accept the fact that you have wasted a couple hundred dollars on a worthless, but still great looking piece of gear
-OR-

Smv, your post is pretty hilarious! At least you were able to keep your sense of humor. I will be sure to steer clear of Henry Lloyd products.

#14 Tetonsail

Tetonsail

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:54 AM

Other than the Kokatat I posted above, most of the suggestions here are not particularly light.

Kokatat describes theirs as "featherweight", and it's pretty light.

It's also genuine Goretex, and is only about $180.

the Goretex has (i think) a lifetime warranty, and several people, including myself, have posted here about having Kokatat drysuits (typically about $900) replaced for _free_ many years after they were originally purchased.

They are a great company and I buy their stuff whenever I can.

US7070, I like the look of the Kokotat spray tops. I have had really good luck with Gore-tex laminates in the past and would be happy to stick with it. Not so lucky with the durability of some of the PU waterproofing. I was hoping that someone would have had some experience with the Goretex Pac-lite fabric or the Slam laminate. The Kokotat may be a good choice though.

#15 krash

krash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:08 AM

Zhik Aroshell Smock
3-layer fabric, lightweight, breathable, durable
$199 retail

#16 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:55 PM

The Racing Breathable Spraytop is a very good option made by Magic Marine that falls into the right needs you mention:

Posted Image

This is a very good all around spraytop, also very well priced. Is not the warmest of the Magic Marine, line and, in fact, is the lightest you can go with that still gets the job done.

Feel free to email, call us or log into our chat if need further details about it.

Cheers,

Magic Marine - Racing Breathable Spraytop Men Black: $114

#17 smv

smv

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:38 PM

-AND-
-AND-
-AND-
-OR-

Smv, your post is pretty hilarious! At least you were able to keep your sense of humor. I will be sure to steer clear of Henry Lloyd products.

It's actually just this line, missed the mark completely. The higher end Henry Lloyd gear is a different animal altogether, they are excellent once you get into the Gore Tex product lines.

#18 Drewski

Drewski

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:One Design Sailing

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:14 AM

-AND-
-AND-
-AND-
-OR-

It's actually just this line, missed the mark completely. The higher end Henry Lloyd gear is a different animal altogether, they are excellent once you get into the Gore Tex product lines.

Well, I am not sure I would buy the higher end if Henri Lloyd is oblivious enough to sell the "low end" which is not inexpensive... to any unsuspecting customer. I purchased a TP1 smock (the low end) where the neck and wrist seals disintegrated after one year. I also bought a higher end TP2 salopette which is fine. I have a very low end musto smock that is eight years old with seals that are in perfect condition - somehow they figured out how to do it.. Just becasue something is low end, doesn't mena that it is acceptable for it to fall apart. Now I understand why Henri Lloyd customer service is so overwhelmed that they cannot respond to an obvious quality problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users