Starting Line App- Anyone tried this yet?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 DryArmour

DryArmour

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,524 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:42 PM

Saw the APP from Nose Down for improving your race starts on the mythical Front Page and so I thought i would check it out. Anyone use this yet? Feedback?

http://nosedowncompu...x.php/start2win

#2 JustDroppingBy

JustDroppingBy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:46 PM

Not to be a smartass (or too much of one) but when it says it computes whether you started too soon, too late or on time, isn't that pretty obvious when you start?

#3 DryArmour

DryArmour

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,524 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:54 PM

Not to be a smartass (or too much of one) but when it says it computes whether you started too soon, too late or on time, isn't that pretty obvious when you start?

On a super long or very large line if the committee boat shows Individual Recall I can see how having this app help you decide if you are one of the flagged boats wouuld help.

#4 JustDroppingBy

JustDroppingBy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:04 PM

On a super long or very large line if the committee boat shows Individual Recall I can see how having this app help you decide if you are one of the flagged boats wouuld help.

Hmmm, we just had an interesting rule prohibiting cell phone usage during a regatta, and while it did not specifically cover something like this, I can't believe there's someone on the boat in a large fleet situation (I'm thinking Laser, J22, J24, Star, etc) who has time to whip out a phone and check it, were it allowable in the SIs ;)

And yes, I know there's a person with an iPad or some such running Expedition etc on the back of a lot of big boats during the entire race, but you don't see that many giant fleets for big boats these days

#5 Foolish

Foolish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:10 PM

A problem with previous aps was that they projected your time to the line in a straight line from your boat to the line, i.e. at 90 degrees. They did not project that you are travelling towards the line on a 45 degree angle. Has this ap corrected that issue?

#6 USA190520

USA190520

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:16 PM

Hmmm, we just had an interesting rule prohibiting cell phone usage during a regatta, and while it did not specifically cover something like this, I can't believe there's someone on the boat in a large fleet situation (I'm thinking Laser, J22, J24, Star, etc) who has time to whip out a phone and check it, were it allowable in the SIs ;)

And yes, I know there's a person with an iPad or some such running Expedition etc on the back of a lot of big boats during the entire race, but you don't see that many giant fleets for big boats these days

Life proof case, dual lock... Instrumentation

IRegatta... Pretty cool app for whatever it was and I use it regularly.

#7 bloodshot

bloodshot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Interests:the pointy end of the boat

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:19 PM

evlstrom sails has a good one too.

but I mean, banning cellphones during a race? I suppose that would make sense in a large Laser fleet where not all boats will have one, but with PHRF fleets and such with TackTicks and chartplotters and all that, isn't that a bit insane?

#8 NoseDownComputing

NoseDownComputing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:23 PM

A problem with previous aps was that they projected your time to the line in a straight line from your boat to the line, i.e. at 90 degrees. They did not project that you are travelling towards the line on a 45 degree angle. Has this ap corrected that issue?

It's taking care of this. It's showing a line of travel, which extrapolates the current bearing. If it's crossing the start line it displays the distance to the startline, if outside it displays respective info.
See also the last two chapters of the manual
http://nosedowncompu...onsManualV1.pdf

#9 NoseDownComputing

NoseDownComputing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:30 PM

I can't believe there's someone on the boat in a large fleet situation (I'm thinking Laser, J22, J24, Star, etc) who has time to whip out a phone and check it

Start2Win has speech output and AudioVario, so you don't have to whip out your phone at all. AudioVario is inspired by (sail)planes and playes different sounds if you are too fast or too slow.

#10 NoseDownComputing

NoseDownComputing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:13 PM

It's obvious when to start but it's not obvious if you cross the start line on time. That's what Start2Win computes.

#11 jonoflewis

jonoflewis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:27 PM

Love it. when u gonna get a version for the iPhone??

#12 NoseDownComputing

NoseDownComputing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:02 AM

Love it. when u gonna get a version for the iPhone??

Jon, we are discussing this, there are not yet specific plans however. So I don't have more informtion at this point in time.

#13 Beau.Vrolyk

Beau.Vrolyk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts
  • Interests:Sailing on any and everything that floats. Skiing when the rainfall turns semi-solid and white.

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:12 AM

Too bad. I've got an iPad and iPhone but no android stuff. See you when you run. On the iPhone.

Could you make this an add-in to iNavX? That's rapidly becoming the mainstream phone-pad navigation ap as the Expedition guys seem to be falling behind.

#14 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,535 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:04 AM

Too bad. I've got an iPad and iPhone but no android stuff. See you when you run. On the iPhone.

Could you make this an add-in to iNavX? That's rapidly becoming the mainstream phone-pad navigation ap as the Expedition guys seem to be falling behind.

Expedition and iNavX are not even remotely comparable.

I own both.

I don't think that Expedition is trying to be a "mainstream" navigation program, and that market is left to other programs and apps.

Relatively few people need or want to do many of the things that Expedition does.

Nevertheless, t would be nice if some of the features of Expedition were more easily accessible on a phone or tablet. The start line functions and layline calculations are obviously in this category.

As has been noted, some peole are using VNC to accomplish this.

But not all of the Expedition features are really suited for phones or tablets. For example, I like a big display for editing polars. At least for me, route optimization is not something I do in a few seconds, and then follow the line - it's more of a series of experiments that gradually refine my thinking, and i'm happy to do that at the nav station.

According to the Expedition website, the newest version of Expedition, has some built-in integration with the Ventus app. This app has been has been discussed in other threads. I don't own the Ventus app, so I'm not sure what this integration is yet, but I'm interested to see.

#15 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,124 posts
  • Interests:The usual stuff.

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:13 PM

That's not a problem, its good design. Distance to line off the nose sounds good until you get close and then turn down the line, then the numbers jump all over the freeking place, 20 feet, 100 feet, 500 feet, 30 feet as your bow points away and comes back up. Meanwhile your hull has stayed basically the same distance away from the line.

The math problem you are describing is Ange-Side-Angle, and when the known angle gets close to 90 degrees (running the line), the missing side in question (distance to line off the bow) gets HUGE.

You don't want that. Trust me.

#16 ShockValue

ShockValue

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:44 PM

Not dissing on this app, but I'm not sure I see what it does that the other starters don't already do (BC Racer, iRegatta, RegattaStartTimer, etc).

#17 addi238

addi238

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:37 PM

Not dissing on this app, but I'm not sure I see what it does that the other starters don't already do (BC Racer, iRegatta, RegattaStartTimer, etc).

Probably w.r.t. basic features you may be right SV. One outstanding feature, which I like very much is its “Audio Vario 2 Start”. It is similar to the Variometer known from gliding and paragliding. I tried it out. You don't need to look at the display (, which you may not be able to read with the sun glasses on a bright day anyway). I stowed may device away in a dry-safe pocket and had my blue tooth thing in the ear. It gave me acoustic signals on the estimated arrivial at the start line, telling me if I would be arriving there too early , too late, or in time. And the count down was spoken to me, too.
For me that was very helpful. Using the eyes as usual (wind, trim, competitors) and getting additional information via ear is a good idea

#18 NoseDownComputing

NoseDownComputing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:39 AM

That's right, we always want to develop an app that assists you and doesn't distract you from sailing.
We think there shouldn't be an extra guy needed for operating the sailing app ;-)

#19 markvannote

markvannote

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:52 PM

Tried the Elvstrom app on a couple of different boats. I don't know if it is a function of the iPhone position refreshing rate or the app but it worked well on the boat which reaches at five knots before the start and was not good for the boat that reaches at 9-10+ depending on the wind strength. You would be over the line before the app says you are.

I have not tried the App in question on this forum.

Mark

#20 NoseDownComputing

NoseDownComputing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:01 PM

Mark,

I'm not sure if I understood your concern. Are you worried the accuracy of the app?
The accuracy of the app is determined from the accuracy of the GPS (around 3ft with additional calculations). We can say that at higher speeds, our app is more accurate than at lower speeds because the error of the GPS gets relatively smaller than the distance between 2 GPS fixes. GPS calculations are not very accurate at speeds below 2 or 3 knots.
Once a second, a GPS fix goes into the calculation. This is more than enough for rather slow speed and direction changes of sailboats.
So this is the theory. I hope I could make clear that with our app, you'll never cross the line before the app says you are at the line if your speed is 5 knots or faster (didn't happen to us in practice either).

#21 markvannote

markvannote

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:45 PM

Just to clarify, my experience is with a different app than yours. That said, the app in question worked well in a small boat but did not update quickly enough on a faster boat when we tried it out. (not the actual start, we use Expedition for that) The app would have had us over early.

Is yours available for the iPhone?

#22 NoseDownComputing

NoseDownComputing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:36 AM

We have plans to release it for the iPhone but unfortunately there is no release date yet.

#23 NoseDownComputing

NoseDownComputing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:27 PM

We're happy to announce that we released a new version of Start2Win.
Most important, there is a new feature that tells you if you started to early or to late and what your distance to the start line was as start. How do you like that?
Check it out here.
We also have a new site at our website that recommends best practice with Start2Win.

#24 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,110 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:24 PM

How you can even compare Expedition and iNavX is beyond me - sure there is a small overlap (they can both be used as chartplotters) but the main purpose of the two are completely different.

#25 Asymptote

Asymptote

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:28 PM

Jeez, whatever happened to having a cute bowgirl in the pulpit holding up fingers for distance to the line and a snack-tician (preferably also cute) calling out time to go?

Seriously, I've tried some of this stuff, but in the last minute or so its head out of the boat time and the driver and trimmers working the problem. And if its so close you can't tell if you're over, having the antenna in the back of the bus isn't going to help.

#26 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,997 posts
  • Interests:Boats: J35, Chesapeake 20 ,Laser , 47' ChrisCraft Commander, Mainship 34, Volkl P10's 205's, Fischer Big Stix 185's, K2 Recons, K2 Xplorers, Rosi Phantoms, other boats and powder boards to be named later

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:39 PM

I'm not so sure I want to be on a starting line with a lot of boats that are this dependent on their gimmicky electronics and can't get their own head and eyes out of the boat long enough to do a start. I have a cell phones off rule on my boat. My time on the boat is my little holiday from the real world, thank you very much.

Posted Image

#27 NoseDownComputing

NoseDownComputing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:53 AM

Hi gals & guys,

we cut the price for Start2Win in half! This is a limited summer promotion so make sure you snag it while it's that cheap.

Get Start2Win in Play Store

We're currently working on a new feature which should please all professional racers so watch out for updates.

Happy summer season and fair winds!

nose down computing team

#28 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,110 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:33 PM

What does this app have that the free ones don't?  Buy an ad if you want to peddle your wares

#29 JaredC

JaredC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:01 AM

What does this app have that the free ones don't?  Buy an ad if you want to peddle your wares

I bet they bought an ad...

#30 NoseDownComputing

NoseDownComputing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:42 AM

Sorry about the delay. We bought an add but we care very much about your feedback. So this way is far more interesting for us.

To answer your first question, we have the hands free operating. There is no need to look at your device all the time. Very handy if you don't have an extra tactician. We do this by outputing sounds if you're computed to be to early or late at the startline. We also have a speech output of the countdown time.

Another feature is that the distance to the start line at zero countdown is displayed. This way you can check the "quality" of your start. It also lets you know if you started to early in case you want to double check that. Of course all that depends of the accuracy of how you set the start line boundaries. We recommend to set the points a little inside and towards the pre-start area to be extra safe.

#31 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,110 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:00 PM

Sorry about the "buy an ad" part since you had already done that!

Thanks for the clarification of features - I will check it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users