#1 Sin Nombre

Sin Nombre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Interests:Yachting

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:30 PM

As of 10/1/12...

I am very excited to welcome two new owners to the San Diego FT 7.5 fleet. The ink has dried on purchase agreements that will send Hull #100 to a new home in Coronado and Hull #102 to her new owner in San Diego . With these additions the 7.5’s now have 4 boats that will actively be sailing SD bay and hitting the course on the weekends.

With four boats in San Diego, we now have the beginnings of a strong one design fleet. Knock on wood, but there’s a chance we may see two new boats delivered to San Diego in the near future. Overseas, the 7.5 has been mildly successful, the yard has sold several fleet orders to the Chinese Navy and Hotel Resorts.

Although the ultimate goal for the 7.5 is sustainable one design racing, the current owners have been working very hard for a rating review. For the last couple years the 7.5 has been in class 2 with the FT10’s, Colombia 30, Cheetah 30, and the occasional Melges. Needless to say the FT 7.5 has struggled racing these much larger boats. After a recent PHRF San Diego meeting the board has decided to allow the 7.5 to race in class 4 competing with smaller more comparable boats. We hope to line up against the J/70 as soon as they are ready to play tackle football :)

The 7.5 has been built off the platform of her bigger sister, the FT 10. The 7.5 supports a beefy sail plan both upwind and downwind and is balanced out with nearly 1,200 lbs of ballast. She is sure to put a smile on anyone’s face all while keeping you high and dry.

You can contact Flying Tiger Boats for pricing on a new or used 10m and 7.5m. Charters for day sails and racing are always available from Harbor Sailboats.

Cheers!
-Keenan Hirsh
Flying Tiger Boats

Attached File  GOPR0078.jpg   110.98K   32 downloads

#2 dolphinmaster

dolphinmaster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:39 PM

How many of your buyer's are popping for both a 7.5 and a 10?

If the lottery came through here I'd drag one of each to the Atlantic here.

Is there a sibling discount?

#3 Sin Nombre

Sin Nombre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:10 AM

I’m sure we can sharpen the pencil for some sisters. The boats do look good together.

Posted Image

#4 Jerryd

Jerryd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:04 AM

I was very interested in a used one. But with the 6' draft and a PHRF rating that was off the scale, it looked to be too much of a challenge! If we had deep water and a O.D. fleet, it would be very attractive. I think that's why the J-70
has been such a success here in the east

#5 ACP

ACP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:49 PM

Great news. Looking forward to some good racing this year ... maybe even a one-design start in the not too distant future. PHRF races should be better as well as we will hopefully get a few boats out for the races. Class 4 will provide some better competition than what we have had in class 2. We should have a nice mixed fleet of sportboats when the J80s and J70s come out.

#6 Jerryd

Jerryd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:37 PM

Great news. Looking forward to some good racing this year ... maybe even a one-design start in the not too distant future. PHRF races should be better as well as we will hopefully get a few boats out for the races. Class 4 will provide some better competition than what we have had in class 2. We should have a nice mixed fleet of sportboats when the J80s and J70s come out.

Maybe even a Rocket ;)

#7 dolphinmaster

dolphinmaster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:10 AM

I was very interested in a used one. But with the 6' draft and a PHRF rating that was off the scale, it looked to be too much of a challenge! If we had deep water and a O.D. fleet, it would be very attractive. I think that's why the J-70

Jerryd, that's some lame shit you're tossing up there. A overpriced pig vs. a go get-em kinda sailboat that has a coupla phrf irons to unwrinkle. Get a Lightning if you really wanta do some strong OD sailing here on the East Coast and throw in the 7.5 for your phrf and additional Martin replacement needs.

#8 Jerryd

Jerryd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:07 AM

Jerryd, that's some lame shit you're tossing up there. A overpriced pig vs. a go get-em kinda sailboat that has a coupla phrf irons to unwrinkle. Get a Lightning if you really wanta do some strong OD sailing here on the East Coast and throw in the 7.5 for your phrf and additional Martin replacement needs.

Gee Rick, settle down! Too much coffee?

If I wanted a OD sportboat I'd get a J-70. With big fleets in Annapolis and a growing fleet here in Lake Norman, you could do some serious racing. All I said is that with a draft of 6' and a PHRF rating under 90, maybe 80?, it would be a real challenge here on the east coast. Give time to a Melges 24? But, If I lived in San Diego, I'd buy a FT 7.5 in a hearbeat.

#9 dolphinmaster

dolphinmaster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:38 PM

Gee Rick, settle down! Too much coffee?

If I wanted a OD sportboat I'd get a J-70. With big fleets in Annapolis and a growing fleet here in Lake Norman, you could do some serious racing. All I said is that with a draft of 6' and a PHRF rating under 90, maybe 80?, it would be a real challenge here on the east coast. Give time to a Melges 24? But, If I lived in San Diego, I'd buy a FT 7.5 in a hearbeat.

Maybe the Mellow Mushroom spiked my pints that night with some coffee. I'll have to check into that again soon.

I hear you, I was just trying to find a reason to toss some junk on the 70 and throw a bone to the 7.5. I'll be coming up to look at'em in the future.

R

#10 ACP

ACP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:28 PM

The ratings will get sorted out with time, especially with more boats sailing.

The 7.5 actually doesn't give time to the Melges. Sportboat ratings are terrible in So Cal. They haven't figured out how to rate them in the light breeze.

Melges 24: 84/60/54

FT 7.5: 90/78/72

J80: 120/108/102

At least they have the boats in the right order. It will be interesting to see how harsh they are on the J70. I assume there will be a rating review soon. I expect it will start out right betwen the J80 and FT 7.5 - maybe 111/99/93 or so ...

#11 steveromagnino

steveromagnino

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:05 AM

We also have a Shaw 650 going to San Diego as well this coming Summer, so that's another one you can play with. Should be pretty good to race with head to head I would guess (slightly quicker than a M24).

#12 Pointy End

Pointy End

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:07 PM

Any 7.5's out here on the East Coast or South East by any chance?

#13 Sin Nombre

Sin Nombre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:47 PM

We also have a Shaw 650 going to San Diego as well this coming Summer, so that's another one you can play with. Should be pretty good to race with head to head I would guess (slightly quicker than a M24).

Good news! Should be fun to line up against something other than the FT 10's.

The prototype (USA 1) is on the water in Alabama.

#14 dolphinmaster

dolphinmaster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:04 PM

Good news! Should be fun to line up against something other than the FT 10's.

The prototype (USA 1) is on the water in Alabama.

Have they enjoyed their 7.5? Any feedback about their season?

#15 Snapper

Snapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:17 PM

SD needs a Super 20 sport boat fleet - FT 7.5's, M24's, J-70's and Vipers. When the Shaw(s) get here it could be some good racing. It's painful to see the 7.5's in with the big boats and M24's racing against Ericson 35's in PHRF 4. Great to see some new 7.5's, let's get it rolling.

-Snap

#16 movable ballast

movable ballast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:08 PM

SD needs a Super 20 sport boat fleet - FT 7.5's, M24's, J-70's and Vipers. When the Shaw(s) get here it could be some good racing. It's painful to see the 7.5's in with the big boats and M24's racing against Ericson 35's in PHRF 4. Great to see some new 7.5's, let's get it rolling.

-Snap

Good call. The super 20's don't belong in PHRF 4 with a bunch of leadmines (like mine). We already had to much split between the fastest boats and the slower ones. SD PHRF in theyre wisdom has now made it even bigger. The baby tiger will blow us away in anything over 8knt. So hurrar! the baby tiger can finally get some silverware they could not get in PHRF 2 for beating up on a bunch of old boats... Awesome...

#17 ACP

ACP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:44 AM

Dang ... I was hoping we would win with good boathandling and tactics. Actually we have raced in several pursuit races and the class 4 boats have finished ahead of us consistently. Hopefully we can out sail them and win a few, but they should correct ahead of us at our current rating.

Class four is the best for now for us to race against J80's and J70's - the most similar boats racing in San Diego. If the 20 something fleet builds, then the dedicated class would be great - or maybe class 4 will become the Super 20 fleet. Sell the leadmine ... Buy a tiger!

#18 Snapper

Snapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:56 PM

Good call. The super 20's don't belong in PHRF 4 with a bunch of leadmines (like mine). We already had to much split between the fastest boats and the slower ones. SD PHRF in theyre wisdom has now made it even bigger. The baby tiger will blow us away in anything over 8knt. So hurrar! the baby tiger can finally get some silverware they could not get in PHRF 2 for beating up on a bunch of old boats... Awesome...

I think you missed the gist there. MB. I'm suggesting a new class. Don't get me started on PHRF-4! However, if M24's can race there so can the 7.5's.

#19 movable ballast

movable ballast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:37 PM

I thought M24's were PHRF 2 like the FT 7.5 was (they did in the beer cans) so I'll have to check. but I do agree they need their own fleet. When the FT 10 sailed with the big leadmines it was all over bar the shouting. SD PHRF moved them into their own fleet and it has worked out OK.

#20 Snapper

Snapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:43 PM

I thought M24's were PHRF 2 like the FT 7.5 was (they did in the beer cans) so I'll have to check. but I do agree they need their own fleet. When the FT 10 sailed with the big leadmines it was all over bar the shouting. SD PHRF moved them into their own fleet and it has worked out OK.

Memory must be fading a bit for you, MB:

Scroll down to PH-4 (the class YOU were sailing in)

http://sdyc.org/race...cup_res.htm#PH4

Top 2 boats were M24's. Must have been tough for them...

#21 movable ballast

movable ballast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:38 PM

Snap! The M24’s have not raced with us all year. They were supposed to have an OD start in the Leukemia cup (your cite) but did not have enough boats for a start so they threw them in with us.

In the beer cans they did in fact race Spin C with the baby tigers and other sporties… see link.

http://www.regattane...tom_report_id=2

Anyway you’re cite just supports my original point. In the one regatta they raced with us they cleaned our clocks. Not necessarily because they are better sailors (they may well be) but a light plaining hull boat has no place in a fleet of leadmines. The rating system simply can’t compensate for it.
I think we are in violent agreement that they need their own fleet! I specifically got a PHRF 4 boat because (I think) it is the most even PHRF fleet in San Diego. On any given day a lot of different boats have won races with no one design or crew standing out (maybe the Dencho 30 if he raced more). Super 20's in PHRF 4 diminishes the quality of the fleet in that if there is no chance of beating them the fleet will diminish.

You can bet this will be brought before the SD PHRF racing chair in a meeting soon.

#22 movable ballast

movable ballast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:56 PM

Dang ... I was hoping we would win with good boathandling and tactics. Actually we have raced in several pursuit races and the class 4 boats have finished ahead of us consistently. Hopefully we can out sail them and win a few, but they should correct ahead of us at our current rating.

Class four is the best for now for us to race against J80's and J70's - the most similar boats racing in San Diego. If the 20 something fleet builds, then the dedicated class would be great - or maybe class 4 will become the Super 20 fleet. Sell the leadmine ... Buy a tiger!

Don't get me wrong I love the Flying Tigers, 10 and 7.5 but when do you get up on a plane, 10 knots? The J80 is not a plaining hull I don't think the J70 will break loose in anything under 15 either so it not "same is same". As I stated before when the FT10's raced in the old fleet 2 they killed everything, it was not even close. SD PHRF gave them a "sport boat" fleet and that fleet has grown. I suspect the same will happen in fleet 4.

#23 ACP

ACP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:03 AM

I think you are a little too worried. These are just fun PHRF regattas. The FT10 is a great light air boat - one of the best ever. The FT7.5 is different. The best way to know is race this year and see how things end up. If it is unfair then classes and ratings can be adjusted. If other 20 ft boats start racing then a dedicated class could happen, so far participation has been too low.

#24 Snapper

Snapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:13 PM

MB - stop the sniveling mate and start a PHRF-4 Whinging Anarchy thread! Lead heads like you shouldn't even be allowed in here! :lol:
Maybe the SD Super 20's can be in PHRF 3.5...?

-Snap

#25 Blackadder

Blackadder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:15 AM

For Yachting Cup I argued at length with RC that the M 24's did not belong with the typical class 4 boats, as their random leg rating is 60 compared to the lowest Class 4 boat which is 87. I was overruled by a local not to be named Yacht architect who convinced the RC it was fine. it was not anything like fine.

The M24 and the 7.5 are quite different boats in performance, especially in light air. The 7.5 and the J80 are more alike. judging by yesterday the 7.5 did not light up on a plane even in 12 knots.
I've played around in Class 4 for 10 years, i don't think the FT's can domninate here in SD conditions.

#26 movable ballast

movable ballast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:45 PM

For Yachting Cup I argued at length with RC that the M 24's did not belong with the typical class 4 boats, as their random leg rating is 60 compared to the lowest Class 4 boat which is 87. I was overruled by a local not to be named Yacht architect who convinced the RC it was fine. it was not anything like fine.

The M24 and the 7.5 are quite different boats in performance, especially in light air. The 7.5 and the J80 are more alike. judging by yesterday the 7.5 did not light up on a plane even in 12 knots.
I've played around in Class 4 for 10 years, i don't think the FT's can domninate here in SD conditions.

You may be correct, (nice regatta by the way. you guys were fast!) but the Viper beat evreyone by 15 minutes! the M24 will do the same. The 7.5 may be OK but where do you draw the line?

#27 Blackadder

Blackadder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:53 PM

You may be correct, (nice regatta by the way. you guys were fast!) but the Viper beat evreyone by 15 minutes! the M24 will do the same. The 7.5 may be OK but where do you draw the line?

Errr, sorry about the P/S crossing I thought we were clear and then a non-ROW spin boat barelled down on us, I did think we were still clear but noticed they also probably screwed you guys up as well. And congrats to you as well, you seem to be bringing your novice crew along nicely, the boat is getting faster each time out.

I saw the Viper result but don't see how it was possible for the Viper to beat everyone by 15 minutes, that would suggest it needs to rate around negative 170. No, i think they ran the wrong course,

Back to the 7.5, I think based on yesterday they would rate closer to the O 30. You sailed one back in the early days, and I think thought slower than a M24 (and it seems to be by a fair margin. Tom came by after the regatta and asked me if we would like to take one out and see for ourselves any race we like, want to join in ?

#28 movable ballast

movable ballast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:34 AM

Errr, sorry about the P/S crossing I thought we were clear and then a non-ROW spin boat barelled down on us, I did think we were still clear but noticed they also probably screwed you guys up as well. And congrats to you as well, you seem to be bringing your novice crew along nicely, the boat is getting faster each time out.

I saw the Viper result but don't see how it was possible for the Viper to beat everyone by 15 minutes, that would suggest it needs to rate around negative 170. No, i think they ran the wrong course,

Back to the 7.5, I think based on yesterday they would rate closer to the O 30. You sailed one back in the early days, and I think thought slower than a M24 (and it seems to be by a fair margin. Tom came by after the regatta and asked me if we would like to take one out and see for ourselves any race we like, want to join in ?

No Worries, all good. Thanks for the props, the guys are working hard.
Sure that sounds like a blast. I did sail one early on in light air and felt like it wanted more air and not quite as quick off the blocks in a puff as the big tiger. It's pretty stiff for a 7.5 meter boat, much stiffer than the M24 but also a much less demanding ride. Upwind we were faster but on the last downwind leg, Tom passed us like we were stationary! Hell I tried to get on his wake! So to get one out in 15knts or so might be too much fun. Let's hook up and make it happen. I also agree that the Viper probably missed a mark... Tom and company are great sailors and ran a near perfect race. If memory serves I think I thought it should be in the high 80's RLC. 78 is clearly a challenge.

#29 ACP

ACP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:48 AM

Thanks guys. Thats what I have been saying the entire time. The rating is slowly getting sorted out as we get in races with more established boats. It would be great to have you charter a boat and race with us anytime. Also, if you ever want to come check out the boat or jump on as crew (or to drive), let me know ...

#30 Sin Nombre

Sin Nombre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:04 AM

We should have three out for this weekends hot rum race. I see two j/70's also entered as well, we've been waiting for this for some time now.

Since hot rums are pursuit starts it will be fun trying to real them in.... As long as we avoid the kelp. There will be a fourth 7.5 still tied to the dock if there are any interested parties out there...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: flying tiger, ft 7.5, sportboat, san diego

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users