#1 DRIFTW00D

DRIFTW00D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,166 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:56 AM

Vendée Globe - Prolog

Pre-Race Game starts in 3 days 7 hours 4 min.

This is a one way 3000 Mile tune up to the equator for THE Big single-handed non stop around the world race game in Open 60s. Fast boats, 24/7, non stop. starts on the coast of France.

#2 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:25 PM

And it doesn't start in hte retarded med....lovely

#3 DRIFTW00D

DRIFTW00D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,166 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:21 PM

Lots of wind wind no pressure to win. That all the "real Skippers" are taking some time out of what must be CRAZY DAYS to V-race is really impressive!! So Im Gusstarouting with the old ZEZO.org Clipper chart. should be enough to keep me moving. The Clipper chart and 0$ in this race is enough FUN as the 2AM soon to be 3AM weather will keep me sleeping at night for this one.

This 4300 miler is just a FUN RACE Right? B)

#4 titop

titop

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:33 AM

my boats zetitop
zetitopnc zetitop1
all corinthian

#5 Marvin

Marvin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Sailing (Duh!)

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:34 PM

I see some of the regulars from 2008 are back... Although I have said I would never do this again, here I am for one more round of broken sleeps... sucker for punishment!

Hopefully I don't have to bail 10 days before the end like I did last time (that bareboat cruise in the Grenadines was worth it though...)

Boat is WildThing, after my Evelyn 32 WildThing...

See you on the start line!

#6 TheDragon

TheDragon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:03 PM

Anyone willing to give a simple intro to getting started on this game? Never tried one before and can't even seem to get a boat set up. I'm registered, but can't seem to do anything more yet.

#7 Marvin

Marvin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:08 AM

Anyone willing to give a simple intro to getting started on this game? Never tried one before and can't even seem to get a boat set up. I'm registered, but can't seem to do anything more yet.

Here's some basic info...
  • Click on Preferences (gears next to date/time)
  • Make sure that wind info is displayed; check those boxes
  • Zoom in/out on the map using the plus/minus tool top right
  • Click on the wind sock to display wind strength and direction
  • Click on the compass and spin to set your heading
  • select the correct sail for the conditions
  • the map will display your direction and 12 hours and 24 hours distance based on current conditions (you might need to zoom out the map to see this)
  • confirm your heading
Now the fun part...
  • The wind remains consistent within each square cell for 12 hours; new winds at 8h and 20h France time
  • You need to adjust your boat heading for new wind or when the boat travels from one cell to the next (assuming the wind is different between two adjacent cells)
  • Balance short term speed vs. long term strategy; i.e. check the wind predictions using the time scale on the wind tool
  • You can also purchase better tools; auto sails, schedulers, etc. but you should get the hang of basic functionality first...
Have fun!

You can also review the FAQ for more details http://www.virtualregatta.com/faq.php

#8 Sailing My Cubicle

Sailing My Cubicle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:40 PM

Any idea how to get multiple boats for Vendee 2012 or do I need to set-up several different accounts?

#9 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:16 AM

OK I have signed up under 'pogen' but I am not sure I will survive even the first weekend as I have training all day Sat -- Sun!

#10 TheDragon

TheDragon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:40 AM

Thanks Marvin, I'm still trying to get set up. I managed to select an open60 and color it, but when I try to validate I get an error message - Can't load png:http://datacenter.virtualregat, and a circle with three running figures inside it just goes round and round.

Here's some basic info...
  • Click on Preferences (gears next to date/time)
  • Make sure that wind info is displayed; check those boxes
  • Zoom in/out on the map using the plus/minus tool top right
  • Click on the wind sock to display wind strength and direction
  • Click on the compass and spin to set your heading
  • select the correct sail for the conditions
  • the map will display your direction and 12 hours and 24 hours distance based on current conditions (you might need to zoom out the map to see this)
  • confirm your heading
Now the fun part...
  • The wind remains consistent within each square cell for 12 hours; new winds at 8h and 20h France time
  • You need to adjust your boat heading for new wind or when the boat travels from one cell to the next (assuming the wind is different between two adjacent cells)
  • Balance short term speed vs. long term strategy; i.e. check the wind predictions using the time scale on the wind tool
  • You can also purchase better tools; auto sails, schedulers, etc. but you should get the hang of basic functionality first...
Have fun!

You can also review the FAQ for more details http://www.virtualregatta.com/faq.php

#11 nobody.really

nobody.really

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:00 AM

OK, I guess I will start on auto pilot. Not dedicated enough to get up at whatever hour that start time is in PST. No idea if my way points and auto pilot combo will work well for the first few hours given the forecast I see for the start. I'm a noob at this virtual sailing stuff. If "nwnordic44" runs you down at the start my apologies in advance. I'm asleep. :( I'll probably still be at the start line when I get up!

#12 Marvin

Marvin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:26 PM

Thanks Marvin, I'm still trying to get set up. I managed to select an open60 and color it, but when I try to validate I get an error message - Can't load png:http://datacenter.virtualregat, and a circle with three running figures inside it just goes round and round.

Sorry, can't help with that, other than make sure you have the latest Flash version installed...

#13 Cyrille Hydrogene

Cyrille Hydrogene

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:09 PM

I'm in the virtual race. My handle is still Eau Gazeuse, same as last time!
I might be getting old, but I bought all the options, to have an easier race this time...

#14 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,531 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:04 PM

i can't see the wind when i'm zoomed out

also, i miss the polar plot that they have had in other races

#15 DRIFTW00D

DRIFTW00D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,166 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:03 PM

I dont get it zoom out NO WIND?? Guess they think u meed to read Gribs??? Im looking at gribs on Zezo not the best but I am 0$ boat and with out auto ANYTHING its going to be a back in the pack finish. BUT Im in boats Me Rongo.

#16 nobody.really

nobody.really

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:19 PM

Off line for maintenance. Glad I tacked before that happened. This is addictive and a potentially huge time sink. Gotta get out of the bay and onto a long reach. Just tried to get the iPhone version to work but no luck. Maybe the maintenance window was the problem.

#17 Rasputin22

Rasputin22

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:29 PM

Got a late start, but moving up through the fleet nicely. This can be addicting. I guess the site overloads and hangs will clear up after the first couple of days hopefully. Lost some time on a big shift earlier during a 'maintenance' hole.

#18 Doc Häagen-Dazs

Doc Häagen-Dazs

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:52 PM

My Open Container III is finally in her groove!

#19 swe727

swe727

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:racing and shorthanded sailing.

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:03 PM

I'm in without any autopilot options also. boat is S/Y epoxy

#20 FINS

FINS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:11 AM

Ok I am in for a little bit, till it gets too time consuming - GOAT RODEO is my ride.

#21 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:46 AM

14 hours of unattended sailing and i'm already fucked

#22 Terrorvision

Terrorvision

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,778 posts
  • Interests:Taking 'the' out of Psychotherapist

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:58 AM

Me too- I don't think you can be even slightly competitive without getting one of the packages. I set course based on the 12 hour forecast and 2 hours later I was already in irons as the fleet sailed around me on a massive header. Both mates I'm following were in that pack and both were deep asleep while the package kept them going giving one of them an increase of 40,000 places!

#23 nobody.really

nobody.really

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:04 AM

Me too- I don't think you can be even slightly competitive without getting one of the packages. I set course based on the 12 hour forecast and 2 hours later I was already in irons as the fleet sailed around me on a massive header. Both mates I'm following were in that pack and both were deep asleep while the package kept them going giving one of them an increase of 40,000 places!

To survive this really long slog of a game without spending way more time than anyone with a job should probably spend on it you need the upgrades that get you the ability to sail to a constant wind angle (they call it TWA I think) and the Pro Sails option which I think gives you another edge. I ponied up for the package deal. It was about $25 US. Figured that was not bad for the length of time I will be playing but still it you gotta be committed (or just crazy). I got the iPhone app to work so I have been tweaking my headings a few times throughout the day as I see the need.

You need to anticipate the changes in wind/forecast which are on a schedule, as well as when you cross wind cells or grids. There were some big shifts in the early going. It looks like there is a good shift coming up now will even out the cells for quite a few miles so us US players can safely plot a course and get some sleep without losing too much ground.

Those guys in the lead just don't sleep. :lol:

#24 Terrorvision

Terrorvision

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,778 posts
  • Interests:Taking 'the' out of Psychotherapist

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:40 AM

In the Volvo one of the teams I knew of had a player in Asia, Europe and US controlling the same boat so they were always in play!

#25 gusmus

gusmus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:57 AM

I'm in. Boat name "Brigand" .

#26 Cyrille Hydrogene

Cyrille Hydrogene

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:35 AM

I see a Sailing Anarchy group in virtual regatta but it doesn't seem to be maintained anymore ( 10 guys waiting to be accepted...) Any interest in creating a new one?

#27 Marvin

Marvin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:16 PM

I see a Sailing Anarchy group in virtual regatta but it doesn't seem to be maintained anymore ( 10 guys waiting to be accepted...) Any interest in creating a new one?

There's an "Anarchy" group created by Pogen a few years back... a number of us are still in there. Is that the one you are talking about?

#28 K6BBQ

K6BBQ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Ham radio, Formula 1 and having a laugh

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:51 PM

Hi,

I found this group in the Vendee Globe game and thought I'd join. I did this virtual race in 2008 and had so much fun that I came back.

I'm not sure if that means I get put in a straight jacket or not.

#29 Nettles

Nettles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:01 PM

Yup, a bit of winter prep around the homestead and bingo! right in the shitter. Trying to stay corinthian so I don't get too involved (like the way it happened in the Volvo). Pretty huge handicap though, dunno how long I'll last poking along.

Anyone know why we (at least me and the Missus) can't use our Volvo boat names ? I find it hard to believe they were actually already taken, and a search yields nothing. I'm in as Sintram for this lesson in humiliation.

#30 Lagom

Lagom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Apart from sailing, renewable energy

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:50 PM

I can not hide my disappointment:

3 years ago the totally free Vendee Globe game had me captivated. I started about one and a half days late and I think I finished in place 374 or so, so not bad. I thought that surely the game would have gotten even better 3 years later, so I was willing to pay a bit something to have all the good stuff. Boy what an error!

Should we start with the looks? When I was a boy I played this computer game you loaded with floppy discs (for those of you old enough to remember what that was) where you were in a submarine and shooting down ships. The graphics of the Vendee Globe game seem to come out of that game. 3 years ago we had nice graphics even with a 3D animation of the boat sailing. I remember I took a screenshot of my virtual boat passing cape Horn. So to speak my first (virtual) cape Horn. I wonder if I still have that shot somewhere.

But hey, graphics don't make the strategy of the game, do they? It is strategy that makes a vendee globe game a challenge. First and foremost let's look at how the weather systems will evolve over the next couple of days to figure out where to position ourselves. But oh, what happens here? When I have more than 400nm on my screen there is no more wind. So essentially making a strategy for more than 24h sailing on a fast tack means get some Gribb-viewer and do it outside of the game.
That sucks but then let's see how we do the tactical work for the day: A bit closer to the coast or a bit further out? Oh, but what is that, it makes no difference at all because within a square of 60x60nm nothing at all changes! So, what do I need the wind pilot for?

So there must be some other difficulty then, right? Nope: the autopilots can be freely combined, the sails and course can be changed as often as liked without penalty and wind updates only have to be worried about every 12 hours and your sails don't get damaged either...

Let's summarize: Strategy can not be planned in the game, everyone in the same 60x60nm "box" has exactly the same wind so that tactics can hardly be executed in the game (unless you are right on the line of the wind grid), the wind pilot is useless, all normal challenges of sailing have been eliminated. Oh and not to mention, some of the polar curves I created so far look as though a child was trying to draw a butterfly.

Why did I love the game 3 years ago?

3 years ago the game was completely free and it was a true challenge!

Your options included a wind pilot or an auto sail change but you could only pick one at a time. If the wind picked up you better put a reef or two into the main or your sails got shreaded (and you only had 12repair kits) A damaged sail would get the slower the more damage it had suffered. Every steering input lowered your energy by 3% and every sail change did so by 9%. For every hour's sailing you gained 3% of energy if I remember correctly up to 120% at max. If your energy fell below 100% your boat got slower the lower the percentage went.

Wind updates happened every 6h.

The wind had no "boxes". Every spot on the map had its own wind conditions extrapolated from the grid. The wind could get progressively less as you approached a coast and during a days sail you could follow windshifts with your windpilot. Man what wonderful curves I drew when hooked into a big wind system!

Everything was a challenge!

At least I couldn't check my computer every 6h, I have a life! So that made for a lot of interesting and challenging compromises:
-When do I sleep? Will I get a chance to see the update during lunch from work? Can I go sailing in reality this afternoon or do I need to pass the straights of Gibraltar virtually?
-Do I dare leaving the wind pilot on, not knowing if the next update brings a wind shift?
-Do I use the wind pilot for best speed or do I set way points for shortest course?
-Do I use the wind pilot to keep my boat at a good upwind angle while I sleep or should I use the auto sails to make sure I switch from the jib to the genoa at the best moment?
-Do I dare leaving the wind pilot or will I hit that remote island?
-Should I set a reef loosing 5% of speed or should I risk the sail hoping that I won't exceed maximum tolerable wind speed?
-Should I sacrifice a sail not putting in a reef in order to gain a couple of positions? If not now, when should I use that extra boost?
-When should I tack/jibe in a wind shift? (With the current version it is quite dull: Tack when you get from one "box" to the next)

In short, that game was a real challenge and I spent hours upon hours to finding the best strategy and beating my virtual opponents. With the new one I have to admit that all I do is wonder if in a week I will still be playing what seems more like an old boardgame. Roll your dice!

#31 DRIFTW00D

DRIFTW00D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,166 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:58 PM

YA!!

Lagom now just

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=VGDWfSoWrGA

But it is only a Cheep WAIST of TIME 0$. Best game was the Barcelona world race. At least this time out this game is not CRASHING.

Anyone know why we (at least me and the Missus) can't use our Volvo boat names ? I find it hard to believe they were actually already taken, and a search yields nothing. I'm in as Sintram for this lesson in humiliation.

U can change your boats name. I did before the prep I think u still can. But if another boat has it it will not work. add a 1 or 2 or a space should work.

#32 Speedwatch

Speedwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:01 PM

I can not hide my disappointment:

3 years ago the totally free Vendee Globe game had me captivated. I started about one and a half days late and I think I finished in place 374 or so, so not bad. I thought that surely the game would have gotten even better 3 years later, so I was willing to pay a bit something to have all the good stuff. Boy what an error!

Should we start with the looks? When I was a boy I played this computer game you loaded with floppy discs (for those of you old enough to remember what that was) where you were in a submarine and shooting down ships. The graphics of the Vendee Globe game seem to come out of that game. 3 years ago we had nice graphics even with a 3D animation of the boat sailing. I remember I took a screenshot of my virtual boat passing cape Horn. So to speak my first (virtual) cape Horn. I wonder if I still have that shot somewhere.

But hey, graphics don't make the strategy of the game, do they? It is strategy that makes a vendee globe game a challenge. First and foremost let's look at how the weather systems will evolve over the next couple of days to figure out where to position ourselves. But oh, what happens here? When I have more than 400nm on my screen there is no more wind. So essentially making a strategy for more than 24h sailing on a fast tack means get some Gribb-viewer and do it outside of the game.
That sucks but then let's see how we do the tactical work for the day: A bit closer to the coast or a bit further out? Oh, but what is that, it makes no difference at all because within a square of 60x60nm nothing at all changes! So, what do I need the wind pilot for?

So there must be some other difficulty then, right? Nope: the autopilots can be freely combined, the sails and course can be changed as often as liked without penalty and wind updates only have to be worried about every 12 hours and your sails don't get damaged either...

Let's summarize: Strategy can not be planned in the game, everyone in the same 60x60nm "box" has exactly the same wind so that tactics can hardly be executed in the game (unless you are right on the line of the wind grid), the wind pilot is useless, all normal challenges of sailing have been eliminated. Oh and not to mention, some of the polar curves I created so far look as though a child was trying to draw a butterfly.

Why did I love the game 3 years ago?

3 years ago the game was completely free and it was a true challenge!

Your options included a wind pilot or an auto sail change but you could only pick one at a time. If the wind picked up you better put a reef or two into the main or your sails got shreaded (and you only had 12repair kits) A damaged sail would get the slower the more damage it had suffered. Every steering input lowered your energy by 3% and every sail change did so by 9%. For every hour's sailing you gained 3% of energy if I remember correctly up to 120% at max. If your energy fell below 100% your boat got slower the lower the percentage went.

Wind updates happened every 6h.

The wind had no "boxes". Every spot on the map had its own wind conditions extrapolated from the grid. The wind could get progressively less as you approached a coast and during a days sail you could follow windshifts with your windpilot. Man what wonderful curves I drew when hooked into a big wind system!

Everything was a challenge!

At least I couldn't check my computer every 6h, I have a life! So that made for a lot of interesting and challenging compromises:
-When do I sleep? Will I get a chance to see the update during lunch from work? Can I go sailing in reality this afternoon or do I need to pass the straights of Gibraltar virtually?
-Do I dare leaving the wind pilot on, not knowing if the next update brings a wind shift?
-Do I use the wind pilot for best speed or do I set way points for shortest course?
-Do I use the wind pilot to keep my boat at a good upwind angle while I sleep or should I use the auto sails to make sure I switch from the jib to the genoa at the best moment?
-Do I dare leaving the wind pilot or will I hit that remote island?
-Should I set a reef loosing 5% of speed or should I risk the sail hoping that I won't exceed maximum tolerable wind speed?
-Should I sacrifice a sail not putting in a reef in order to gain a couple of positions? If not now, when should I use that extra boost?
-When should I tack/jibe in a wind shift? (With the current version it is quite dull: Tack when you get from one "box" to the next)

In short, that game was a real challenge and I spent hours upon hours to finding the best strategy and beating my virtual opponents. With the new one I have to admit that all I do is wonder if in a week I will still be playing what seems more like an old boardgame. Roll your dice!

Great summery of the past game. But I am in this time again with no extra stuff, just got done south, turn left, try to manage the gates and head up after passinng Cape Hoorn. But I will not spend hours and hours for checking windforcasts to set a proper routing. And if I will hit the southpole that fine for me too. --- Fair winds to all, SailingAnarchy-de

#33 K6BBQ

K6BBQ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Ham radio, Formula 1 and having a laugh

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

Hi,

I found the link to this group in the Vendee Globe game. A friend and I did this race four years ago and had so much fun, we decided to sign on for another three months.

#34 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,531 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:27 PM

I've been unable to log in for a while

#35 Speedwatch

Speedwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:45 PM

200.000 gamer online - this hardware sucks ... Cap Finisterre ahead and I can not log in to check my cours ... I think I will got straight to the Southpole now and save my time for something usefull like brush my teeths ...

#36 nobody.really

nobody.really

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

I've been unable to log in for a while

Small sample size, but it seems like the servers are overwhelmed right around the time the wind forecasts change. I'm guessing that is when everyone tends to login, check their status and make changes. It's best to get things set before the change over and avoid needing to make heading changes around the 8h and 20h times. I hope that after this weekend the frenzy dies down as people go back to their real lives. I know I've got to stop...need to just walk away...

#37 rockshandy

rockshandy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:37 PM

has anybody found a mobile app for this yet? im on android and it would a lot easier than getting to a computer the twice a day i plan on checking it!

#38 swe727

swe727

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:56 PM

has anybody found a mobile app for this yet? im on android and it would a lot easier than getting to a computer the twice a day i plan on checking it!

There is a android app called "virtual regatta"

Also, found this nice tool that can help!

http://www.vrtoutoulz.fr/polars/

#39 6times7

6times7

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:07 PM

Well I'm in, even splashed out on the upgrades after the leaders took 60 odd miles out of me in the first 36 hours!

I've also had trouble signing in at the weather update times - hope this tails off when things settle down.

Haven't got the app as it seems you can't change heading etc without paying more, however I can log into the full site from android internet app (android 4.03 on HTC Sensation) - although it is a bit slow and fiddly.

Edit: Nice find swe727 - that is easier than trying to draw them out!

#40 gruffT

gruffT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:24 PM

Does anyone know.... if I use the progammer to schedule a course change while I've got my pilot locked on twa, does that course change then turn the pilot off? or will i change and lock at that twa?

Client certainly could do with some work. I can't seem to change the course on the droid app....

#41 swe727

swe727

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:43 PM

Does anyone know.... if I use the progammer to schedule a course change while I've got my pilot locked on twa, does that course change then turn the pilot off? or will i change and lock at that twa?

Client certainly could do with some work. I can't seem to change the course on the droid app....

press on your own boat, and you should be able to change course. but for me it will always calculate the course 10 deg wrong.

#42 Cyrille Hydrogene

Cyrille Hydrogene

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:12 PM

Well I'm in, even splashed out on the upgrades after the leaders took 60 odd miles out of me in the first 36 hours!

I've also had trouble signing in at the weather update times - hope this tails off when things settle down.

Haven't got the app as it seems you can't change heading etc without paying more, however I can log into the full site from android internet app (android 4.03 on HTC Sensation) - although it is a bit slow and fiddly.

Edit: Nice find swe727 - that is easier than trying to draw them out!

The android app is completely free for the Vendée, and works quite well except for a big bug for the angle of the apparent wind!! You have to trust the angles you see, NOT the numbers (and the speed) the apps puts out... Quite quirky, but it works. Just touch your boat and you can drag the direction to set a sailing angle.

#43 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,531 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:42 PM

the game is seriously flawed by having a 1 degree grid for wind.

The GFS is available at 0.5 deg resolution, and it wouldn't be hard to interpolate it to a finer resolution.

I guess there would be hardware issues with running the game at higher resolution, but I think 1/10 of a degree would be about where it would start to be worthwhile.

As it is, the game is more about the cell borders than navigation and weather routing.

#44 nobody.really

nobody.really

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:33 AM

As it is, the game is more about the cell borders than navigation and weather routing.

I agree that up till now I'm spending time making sure I hit the corners of the cells with the wind I want but I'm also trying to hit them at the right hours based on forecast so it's not entirely 1 dimensional. It does play a big part. It's killing me to see the leaders hit those big wind cells earlier and earlier. In the next 80 plus days they are going to hit a hole somewhere and the rest of us can run up from behind. Or at least they should.

#45 Cyrille Hydrogene

Cyrille Hydrogene

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:46 AM

I agree that up till now I'm spending time making sure I hit the corners of the cells with the wind I want but I'm also trying to hit them at the right hours based on forecast so it's not entirely 1 dimensional. It does play a big part. It's killing me to see the leaders hit those big wind cells earlier and earlier. In the next 80 plus days they are going to hit a hole somewhere and the rest of us can run up from behind. Or at least they should.

It's really sad to see that the game and the interface hasn't eveolved in the last 4 years. As you say, it's more wind cell borders management than weather routing.

#46 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,531 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:09 PM

It's really sad to see that the game and the interface hasn't eveolved in the last 4 years. As you say, it's more wind cell borders management than weather routing.

maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought it was 0.5 deg in the past

#47 gruffT

gruffT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:22 PM

Thought this might help folk running expedition.....

In return, anyone fancy confirming that the wind cells are on the degree? :-)

Edit (didn't attach)
http://shorttext.com/eU8eaoIZ

#48 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,531 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:42 PM

Thought this might help folk running expedition.....

In return, anyone fancy confirming that the wind cells are on the degree? :-)

you can use your cursor to measure distance.

the N-S distance between cells is 60nm, which is 1 degree

#49 FINS

FINS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:55 PM

So what routing program on the web are the top guys using? It cant be that they all are just deciding to gybe at exactly the same time.

#50 fan

fan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:44 PM

Signed up a little late. Doing it $0 just for the hell of it. Started out 98,477 now broke into the 80k's. I have no illusions of doing well without all the add on's but it will still keep me amused. I also am not going to be going on watch and will miss out on a couple of 5 day chunks due to prior commitments.

#51 Cyrille Hydrogene

Cyrille Hydrogene

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:13 PM

So what routing program on the web are the top guys using? It cant be that they all are just deciding to gybe at exactly the same time.

The routing tool they are using is VRTool
http://www.tecepe.com.br/nav/vrtool/

Takes all the fun out of it if you want my opinion...

The only problem I have in game is when I want to visualize the forecasts. When I zoom out, the wind arrows disappear. Any solution for that? alternative?

Eau Gazeuse

Edit: There is also Pacotool, which is a web tool which can compute many things, like the time when you'll exit the actual wind square, or the shortest route to a chosen location.
http://www.pacotool.fr/

#52 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,531 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:33 PM

does anyone know how waypoints work?

the faq page gets a 404 for that entry...

i understand that the boat will sail to the waypoint, but will it choose the right sail if the wind shifts?

will it change the sail if you have more than one waypoint and the course turns?

#53 nobody.really

nobody.really

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:47 PM

I've used way points some. I have been able to add a max of 5. With Auto Sails on it does seem to change sails when needed. For me at least the calculated time to way point is in local time which was a bit confusing at first. I don't know how smart those calcs are either as I did not check them.

There are some bugs in the way point feature so beware. A couple of times my heading has changed to something inappropriate. Once right after making some edits. Could be user error but I don't think so. This morning when I logged back in I had lost all but the next way point in my route. Fortunately I was still heading in the correct direction. Makes me a bit nervous about trusting them now. I'm going to try not logging out next time I leave a multi leg route on for a long time.

Oh, make sure you save your changes every time you edit a way point location or it reverts.

#54 nobody.really

nobody.really

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:54 PM

Crap. I came back from an hour away and the boat was locked on a TWA on the opposite tack. Definitely some bugs in there. Can't say if it was the TWA combined with the Way Points or not but that is what I was messing with when I left it last. I turned it all off. Now I don't what to trust. Just like a real boat only worse 'cause I can't fix it!

#55 12345

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:17 PM

i dropped the mic when I crossed 549th last go round and that was enough for me.

have fun kids!

#56 gusmus

gusmus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:13 PM

Crap. I came back from an hour away and the boat was locked on a TWA on the opposite tack. Definitely some bugs in there. Can't say if it was the TWA combined with the Way Points or not but that is what I was messing with when I left it last. I turned it all off. Now I don't what to trust. Just like a real boat only worse 'cause I can't fix it!

As far as I know, this game uses the same engine as the VOR "many Players" game. You Can't use "Autosails" with "Waypoints" as it screws up the calculations by cancelling each other out. Sails are saying "go this way" and the waypoint is saying "Nope,,, go this way"

#57 the loose cannon

the loose cannon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:13 PM

Was racing with the 0$ sailors until (as is usual for many players) the game crapped out right at the first significant tactical maneuver. And with all the ads crashing out flash in chrome, I threw in the towel.

Good luck with your spousal relationships and sleep patterns. I am going to watch from the sidelines and laugh this time around.

#58 the loose cannon

the loose cannon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:14 PM

oh,. and beware the android app. If you can get your fat fingers on the directional change, it will automatically change your sail to the other sail while you are at it and park you.

NICE!

#59 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,531 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:39 PM

i have decided to head west and cross the ridge - not because I think if is neccessarily the best move, but mostly because it will be more interesting to see how it plays out.

#60 nobody.really

nobody.really

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:17 AM

Come on guys, it's time to make a move. The French have finally gone to sleep. Yes, getting past Madere is going to be interesting. I've got a plan based on forecast but if I'm wrong by a few hours or the forecast changes too much I'm screwed but good.

The leaders seem to be heading a long ways south. Have to assume they plan to turn west pretty soon.

#61 nobody.really

nobody.really

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:19 AM

As far as I know, this game uses the same engine as the VOR "many Players" game. You Can't use "Autosails" with "Waypoints" as it screws up the calculations by cancelling each other out. Sails are saying "go this way" and the waypoint is saying "Nope,,, go this way"

Thanks for the heads up.

#62 busybeeolympia

busybeeolympia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:45 AM

Come on guys, it's time to make a move. The French have finally gone to sleep. Yes, getting past Madere is going to be interesting. I've got a plan based on forecast but if I'm wrong by a few hours or the forecast changes too much I'm screwed but good.

The leaders seem to be heading a long ways south. Have to assume they plan to turn west pretty soon.

Haha, I have a similar plan. What's your boat name?

#63 NorCalLaser

NorCalLaser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:57 AM

Yes, everyone post what boat theyre using. Im NorCalLaser. I just logged on for the first time about 3 hours ago... yall done set me up for a comeback!

#64 busybeeolympia

busybeeolympia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:00 AM

Yes, everyone post what boat theyre using. Im NorCalLaser. I just logged on for the first time about 3 hours ago... yall done set me up for a comeback!

busybeeoly, I got a late start.

#65 nobody.really

nobody.really

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:20 AM

nwnordic44

Currently dragging my butt up from 8,000 and something!

#66 gusmus

gusmus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:02 AM

Thanks for the heads up.

Sorry mate. Just to avoid confusion. "Autosails" should read "Autopilot or Windpilot". You can use "Autosails" anytime. There was a lot of hassle with this on the last VOR which was never solved. It would be so simple to make it impossible to switch both on at the same time in the gui but these fuckers are more interested in advertising how many boats are racing and making it easier to pay for extras than improving the game.
Boat name is "Brigand"

#67 DRIFTW00D

DRIFTW00D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,166 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:55 PM

This should be an interesting HOLE. 9000 to 90000 in 24hrs, Out and around.

DDOO

Ride the cell edger NOT THE MIDDLE, Ride the cell edger NOT THE MIDDLE,Ride the cell edger NOT THE MIDDLE, Ride the cell edger NOT THE MIDDLE,Ride the cell edger NOT THE MIDDLE, Ride the cell edger NOT THE MIDDLE,Ride the cell edger NOT THE MIDDLE, Ride the cell edger NOT THE MIDDLE,Ride the cell edger NOT THE MIDDLE, Ride the cell edger NOT THE MIDDLE,Ride the cell edger NOT THE MIDDLE, Ride the cell edger NOT THE MIDDLE,Ride the cell edger NOT THE MIDDLE, Ride the cell edger NOT THE MIDDLE,Ride the cell edger NOT THE MIDDLE, Ride the cell edger NOT THE MIDDLE,Ride the cell edger NOT THE MIDDLE, Ride the cell edger NOT THE MIDDLE,Ride the cell edger NOT THE MIDDLE, Ride the cell edger NOT THE MIDDLE,Ride the cell edger NOT THE MIDDLE, Ride the cell edger NOT THE MIDDLE,Ride the cell edger NOT THE MIDDLE, Ride the cell edger NOT THE MIDDLE,Ride the cell edger NOT THE MIDDLE, Ride the cell edger NOT THE MIDDLE,Ride the cell edger NOT THE MIDDLE, Ride the cell edger NOT THE MIDDLE,Ride the cell edger NOT THE MIDDLE, Ride the cell edger NOT THE MIDDLE,Ride the cell edger NOT THE MIDDLE, Ride the cell edger NOT THE MIDDLE,Ride the cell edger NOT THE MIDDLE, Ride the cell edger NOT THE MIDDLE,Ride the cell edger NOT THE MIDDLE, Ride the cell edger NOT THE MIDDLE,Ride the cell edger NOT THE MIDDLE, Ride the cell edger NOT THE MIDDLE,Ride the cell edger NOT THE MIDDLE, Ride the cell edger NOT THE MIDDLE,

#68 gruffT

gruffT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

nwnordic44

Currently dragging my butt up from 8,000 and something!

Think the leading bunch might just punch through but if they're a little late they're screwed.

Boat gruffT. Currently taking my medicine.... falling from my race best of 3067th to low 4000's....

#69 klymen

klymen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:35 PM

Going west on 'klymen'. Started a day late after a coming together with my rubber-ducky support boat, but unlike De Broc that put me just off Finisterre, probably further than I would've been on my own... This has the potential to be a brutal time-waster.

#70 Cyrille Hydrogene

Cyrille Hydrogene

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:20 PM

Current standings on 13/11/2012 17:05 UTC+1:

corinthians (no options):
WildThings : 5046
Brigand: 24521
Goat Rodeo: 47717
zetitop: 51584
Sintram: 53208
klymen: 79907
S/Y epoxy: 82901
Me Rongo: 100124
NorCalLaser : 124310
pogen: 205503
zetitop1: 101683

Training wheels on (all or some options):

Eau Gazeuse: 4299
GruffT: 5137
Billy no Mates SA: 7111
nwnordic44: 7379
busybeeoly: 56574

Did I miss anyone?
:)

#71 Rasputin22

Rasputin22

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:28 PM

Current standings on 13/11/2012 17:05 UTC+1:

corinthians (no options):
WildThings : 5046
Brigand: 24521
Goat Rodeo: 47717
zetitop: 51584
Sintram: 53208
klymen: 79907
S/Y epoxy: 82901
Me Rongo: 100124
NorCalLaser : 124310
pogen: 205503
zetitop1: 101683

Training wheels on (all or some options):

Eau Gazeuse: 4299
GruffT: 5137
Billy no Mates SA: 7111
nwnordic44: 7379
busybeeoly: 56574

Did I miss anyone?
:)

cruzdude: 90205 in the Corinthian div

#72 rhenders

rhenders

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:39 PM

Boat name: Pigasus

Full training wheels. I need all the help I can get. On my way West, but still trying to stay in at least some wind through the hole.

#73 TheDragon

TheDragon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:50 PM

I finally managed to find a computer that will at least allow me to see the game. I'm dragonflytoo and apparently the game has been sailing for me down the rhumbline, at least, that's how I interpret the map. I'm apparently ranked 137247. Anyone care to confirm for me where I am? Is this what happens if you do nothing? Might be worthwhile just continuing to do nothing and see what happens to a default mode.

#74 Cyrille Hydrogene

Cyrille Hydrogene

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:06 PM

I'll add cruzdude, dragonflytoo and Pigasus in the next ranking! (if I ever do one, who knows, don't hesitate to take over :D))

TheDragon, it seems you could be sailing a bit faster :) Try it, you might like it! ;)

(I'm Eau Gazeuse)

#75 swe727

swe727

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:11 PM

I finally managed to find a computer that will at least allow me to see the game. I'm dragonflytoo and apparently the game has been sailing for me down the rhumbline, at least, that's how I interpret the map. I'm apparently ranked 137247. Anyone care to confirm for me where I am? Is this what happens if you do nothing? Might be worthwhile just continuing to do nothing and see what happens to a default mode.

Hi, If you enter the game late you will be somewhere along the rhumbline, but once you have logged in for the first time I think that it will be taken off from the auto pilot.

#76 Cyrille Hydrogene

Cyrille Hydrogene

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:16 PM

There's an "Anarchy" group created by Pogen a few years back... a number of us are still in there. Is that the one you are talking about?

Ok, found the Anarchy group! I hope pogen still takes care of it, although I don't really know if these groups appear in game.

#77 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,531 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:39 PM

i have decided to head west and cross the ridge - not because I think if is neccessarily the best move, but mostly because it will be more interesting to see how it plays out.

well, i'm going to have the fishing rods out in a little while, but it looks ok after the next 12hrs

4th Mode - currently about 62,000 - i have all the options

i started late, and then fell asleep at the helm, but managet to get to ~50,000

Then, i think I probably gave up ~15000 places to get west

#78 swe727

swe727

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:43 PM

well, i'm going to have the fishing rods out in a little while, but it looks ok after the next 12hrs

I just lost 88000 places over the last 12 hours by going west, but i hope it will pay off. One of the things I learned playing the barcelona game is that you should never go somewhere to increase you placement for the moment, but think ahead in 2 or more days time. the second thing, never chase a dying breeze...

#79 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,531 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:58 PM

I just lost 88000 places over the last 12 hours by going west, but i hope it will pay off. One of the things I learned playing the barcelona game is that you should never go somewhere to increase you placement for the moment, but think ahead in 2 or more days time. the second thing, never chase a dying breeze...

i've lost another 5000 since my post - and I'm probably going to loose 50000 over the next 12 hrs

my wind is going to be 3.2kts....

#80 DRIFTW00D

DRIFTW00D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,166 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:23 PM

U hope. down 100,000. But nose is into the NEW WIND. Time to get going south please south to wind.

#81 nobody.really

nobody.really

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:29 PM

It's really hard to see those leaders in what looks to be an smart escape move down south. I think they might just make it past the Canaries before the hole drops in on them. My plan to sneak past Madere is looking iffy but I'm committed. I need to just log off and stop checking my progress!

gusmus: It happened again where I was using Waypoints and nothing else except Autosails. The boat came to a way point and needed to come to starboard about 40 degrees. It did for a little while. I came back after to wind forecast update and found her heading back upwind with a solent sail deployed to the waypoint it had just passed. Very odd. I'm going to just stop using Waypoints. No idea what's wrong; if it's me or the code but damn glad I checked or I would be headed back to France. So much for the training wheels. We'll see during the next few weeks if the other options were worth the $25 bucks or not.

Good to see a growing list of SA players.

#82 Port Tack Approach

Port Tack Approach

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:19 PM

Port Tack Approach. Corinthian. Currently westward bound and sitting just better than 15K but prepping to hemorrhage places

#83 smellibits

smellibits

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:Becoming a polymath
    Overcoming sloth
    Finding worthy friends
    Always winning

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:04 PM

I've just signed on ( to the site, not the game ).

Whilst signing on I dropped another 500 odd places, to 223,749th, and another 10NM to the leaders, now 915NM, so the haemmorhaging is slowing down. Anyone behind?

About 400NM NE of the Azores.

And in about 2 hours when in the next cell, spinnach out for the first time and we'll start burning some rubber.

Others doing likewise? Haven't seen a boat nearby since Ushant.

Do remember this a solo race, I have weight in mind and have no pics or other mammaries with me.

#84 12345

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:59 PM

Right now the waypoint, if it holds true to the last go round, the computer is using is the closest to Cape of Good Hope based on portaging across Africa not on the natural circumnavigation across the doldrums to Brazil. This glitch caused a load of folks to take the African Coast last time while we all sailed around them and left em to weep in the calm off the coast.

#85 gusmus

gusmus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:18 PM

Right now the waypoint, if it holds true to the last go round, the computer is using is the closest to Cape of Good Hope based on portaging across Africa not on the natural circumnavigation across the doldrums to Brazil. This glitch caused a load of folks to take the African Coast last time while we all sailed around them and left em to weep in the calm off the coast.

The game holds true to the real thing in that respect. Look to cross somewhere close to the horn of Brazil and head to at least 30ºS before swinging SW and then follow the trades back up to the gates off C of Good Hope. It works out as the fastest route 9 times out of 10. That said,,, I bet it goes tits up this time now that I've mentioned it.

#86 fogmachine

fogmachine

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Interests:Stirring things up from the poop deck.

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:48 AM

fogmachine is currently 8823 (was 80,000+ earlier) on starboard tack making thousands duck me. Have the comfort package, which is good since on travel where the internet is occasional at best.

#87 busybeeolympia

busybeeolympia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:28 AM

So, Please explain how to interpret the weather forecast. Right now it says "Forecast 11/13/2012 20 hr"

#88 DRIFTW00D

DRIFTW00D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,166 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:38 AM

Where did U see that?

#89 busybeeolympia

busybeeolympia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:40 AM

So, Please explain how to interpret the weather forecast. Right now it says "Forecast 11/13/2012 20 hr"

Figured it out. Updates at 8 and 20 on the official game time.

#90 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,531 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:24 AM

Figured it out. Updates at 8 and 20 on the official game time.

also, at 2hrs before the weather updates, the 12 hr forecast becomes the actual wind for the next update.

#91 nobody.really

nobody.really

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:18 AM

sheesh, I'm going to just make it to the next cell in nick of time. On the one hand I wish the cells weren't hard breaks but the more realistic model would require a lot more attention.

#92 czo79

czo79

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:42 AM

My boat is Czo79
Sailing corinthian.
Currently 46,870.

I'm having a lot more fun in the virtual loup de mer vendee globe game.
It's definitely way more complex, and it's free and there are no options. http://www.virtual-loup-de-mer.org
I'm also using a french gui utility for it that has built in routing and ton of other options. Between the two they solve so many of the problems with the many players game. The utility I use is called frogtools. Supposedly an english version will come out soon, but there is an english faq that lets me get by with it. http://silverlight.v.../frogtools.html
Anyways, I'll play both again this time around.
- Czo

#93 rso

rso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:17 PM

The game within a game....
Every time you cross the rhum line you must have a drink of rum.
PeaceTrain......corinthian
currently 20,522 th
Just crossed the rumline.

#94 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,531 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:16 PM

ended up costing me ~95,000 places to go west to cross the ridge

i'm at 18 30 W and about to turn SW ..., finally!

my rank is just under 150,000

#95 klymen

klymen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:44 PM

After reading 12345's post I started ignoring the rankings altogether. They do appear to draw a great circle straight to the Cape of Good Hope. Those further west are going to be making hay soon (apart perhaps from smellibits who appears to be heading directly for the only land within about 800nm...), and I'm trying to get over there to join the party.

#96 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,531 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:23 PM

After reading 12345's post I started ignoring the rankings altogether. They do appear to draw a great circle straight to the Cape of Good Hope. Those further west are going to be making hay soon (apart perhaps from smellibits who appears to be heading directly for the only land within about 800nm...), and I'm trying to get over there to join the party.

i hope you are right, because i lost another 10,000 since my last post - just over an hour ago!

#97 gusmus

gusmus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:05 PM

i hope you are right, because i lost another 10,000 since my last post - just over an hour ago!

Not to worry. I've gone from 23000th at 8.00 this morning to 112000th now at 16.00. They do say that West is Best but I'm beginning to wonder why.

#98 DRIFTW00D

DRIFTW00D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,166 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:09 PM

Its cheep to go west up here. We are all going to Argentina right ???. Its Like down south faster is deep south. Watching the counter go the right way now saw 195,000. The race around the bottom will be fun seeing the 10,000s, fly past if U fall off a Low wave, all rolling U in 40-60 Nt TWS and U got nuten.

#99 12345

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:52 PM

http://forums.sailin...opic=81780&st=0

For those that are new to it and want to have a few answers and perhaps a few laughs read through the thread from the last go round. Who will emerge as the new 'jfr' that will keep virtual track of all the fun?

#100 Maxion

Maxion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:11 PM

Looks like the wind update crashed the game...

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

By gusmus in Gus's Bus, on 20 December 2012 - 07:19 PM

Posted Image6times7, on 18 December 2012 - 09:52 PM,...

Read Full Entry →

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users