12 replies to this topic

#1 Pokey uh da LBC

Pokey uh da LBC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:55 PM

Both are vectran cores covered with polyester. NER specs their 8mm V100 at 8,600 lbs, while Yale's Crystalyne rates 7,200 lbs. But I doubt that both companies use the same testing methodology. So not sure if the numbers mean anything.

Yale's product is often sold for a few cents/foot less than the V100. At Vela the crystalyne goes for $1.50, while the V100 is priced at $1.67.

You guys have a preference for upwind sail halyard?

#2 Mauri Pro

Mauri Pro

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:43 PM

Pokey uh da LBC,

The loads are usually refer as "tensile strength" which is the maximum stress/load that a line/material can withstand while being stretched or pulled before it starts to contract or break. Different line construction methods will end up in different tensile strenghts for the same size line.

Note: So far I had been please with the performance of my halyards (8mm New England V-100 on a 40 footer)

Best,

Juan

#3 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:48 PM

Hi Pokey,

Tensile strength numbers come after testing at the manufacturers benches and they not only make the mark at the breaking strength but may also include a safety factor. Also, it will be important to see if one has more fibers in the core than the other. I really doubt that any racing boat bigger than 29 ft. will use 8mm V-100 unless is a Hobie 33, Olson 30 or similar ULDB. On a 40 ft. racing boat is very likely that you'll find at least 10mm line for the main halyard. Keep in mind that when you are talking about the overall diameter of the line this is also including the cover, meaning that a single braid Vectran (V-12 or Yale Vectrus) is stronger than a 8mm double braid Vectran, since part of the rope accounts for the cover, which in this case is polyester. As a reference, a J/24 uses 8mm vectran for the main halyard.

In the case of your Olson, probably a double braid 8mm will do the job. If you want to go at max strength without increasing friction, then doing a 8mm V-12 or Vectrus with a section jacket to the area that goes in the rope clutch will be ideal. The jacketed area may end up being a little over 3/8" so if your rope clutch can take 7/16" line you'll be in business. Only down side is that Leaving the Vectran core exposed at all time is not very good, but that's the trade off.

Once again, Dynex Dux can solve the problem (although,more expensive), as it is stronger than the Vectran, will hold on good, even if exposed and using a 7mm single braid with a jacketed section will not increase weight, nor friction.

Dynex Dux 7mm has a tensile strength of 16,500 lbs.

Feel free to drop us an email or call if you want to go over this in more detail.

#4 BobJ

BobJ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:15 PM

I've had both and I'm happier with the V-100.

The Crystaline was more sensitive to clutch size and is a bit smaller in diameter, which compounded the problem (Crystaline's 10mm is really 9.5mm, and their 8mm is a tick smaller as well). If you use the line "stock" and it slips at all, you end up with little knuckles in the core where you clutched it. V-100 is an honest 8mm (or 10mm etc.) and the cover doesn't seem to slip as easily.

I know all this can be rectified with bulking up, etc. but for use off the reel, I prefer the V-100.

If stripped, either one needs regular maintenance. Keep the MaxiJacket (et seq) freshened up and run the stripped portion back inside the mast at the end of the day. UV will kill it pretty quickly.

#5 Pokey uh da LBC

Pokey uh da LBC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:13 PM

Thanks for the info guys,

So Rod, you're saying that for a 30' Olson 911, I should be using 10 mm halyards?

Damn! That's the size of my jib sheets. 3/8" is a pretty big halyard for 30' boat.

#6 Mauri Pro

Mauri Pro

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:13 AM

I use to own a Hobie 33 and all our upwind halyards were V-100 5/16" stripped, cover for the winch area and coreless for some of the tail section. They worked great as there was almost zero elongation, so easy to keep marks on the genoa halyard to reproduce fast settings. (btw: made a typo mistake on my previous post: 10mm halyards on our 40 footer).

Your boat sail areas: I = 41.9 ft. 155% Genoa = 425 sq. ft. / P = 35.9 ft. Mainsail Area = 237 sq. ft..
Note: Your genoa sail area doubles the one for the mainsail, therefore different diameters will be needed to accommodate the different sail loads.

Base on the previous rig dimensions you can check here for the recommended halyards for your boat:

Olson 911 Genoa Halyard (V-100 10mm) approximately core diameter 7mm when line is stripped
Olson 911 Mainsail Halyard (V-100 8mm)

Hope these tech info helps.

Juan

#7 BobJ

BobJ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:10 AM

Despite my preference for V-100 for halyards, I need 118 feet of 5/16" Crystaline in Gray for reefing and furling lines.

I just missed the 15% off deals some had last week. If I could get close to that I'd be all over it.

#8 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:14 AM

Thanks for the info guys,

So Rod, you're saying that for a 30' Olson 911, I should be using 10 mm halyards?

Damn! That's the size of my jib sheets. 3/8" is a pretty big halyard for 30' boat.

Hi Pokey,

I think V-100 in 8mm will work fine, even more considering the sailing venue. This is an affordable and durable solution, it may be a bit to small to handle and hold in the right place on the heavy stuff, but if the rope clutch is in good shape it should hold just fine.

If you want to kick it one step up, then doing the single braid with a section jacketed will be similar in price, yet stronger and more requiring more frequent inspections due to the permanent exposure of the Vectran fibers.

Rod

#9 Mauri Pro

Mauri Pro

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:45 PM

Hi BobJ,

Glad to help you with the Crystaline order. Please give us a call and ask for Brittany or Daniela, I am going out of town for a regatta but will leave a note on their desk to honor the Boat Show Special.
Ph: 1-888-756-8883

Best,

Juan

#10 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:09 PM

Despite my preference for V-100 for halyards, I need 118 feet of 5/16" Crystaline in Gray for reefing and furling lines.

I just missed the 15% off deals some had last week. If I could get close to that I'd be all over it.

Bob,

Not in grey but this is what we have available in V-100 5/16":

• About 100’ of white with red fleck
• White with Blue fleck
• About 100’ of solid red
• White

Hope this helps..

#11 BobJ

BobJ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:24 PM

Thanks for checking Rod. It needs to be grey - but you'd have to know me and see my boat to understand. I get kidded about this stuff.

#12 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:05 PM

Thanks for checking Rod. It needs to be grey - but you'd have to know me and see my boat to understand. I get kidded about this stuff.

No problem Bob. :)

I guess it will be hard to get Crystaline in grey. You will have more luck with that color in Maxibraid (dsk core)

#13 BobJ

BobJ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:19 PM

I promised Juan an update here. He said he'd honor the Boat Show price (nice) but doesn't have any. A promised e-mail from one of his staff to report availability hasn't arrived (after 3 days).

As written above, Rod apparently doesn't have any either. It's there on his website, and his regular price is only 10 cents more than Juan's Boat Show price (so Juan's isn't such a deal after all).

As they run another tag team thing on used winches, I guess I'll order from APS and get on with my life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users