46 replies to this topic

#1 Brodie

Brodie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:23 AM

...but at least it was a good one. 10-15 kts out of the west, not a cloud in the sky. Boat comes out tomorrow. I'm sad. But this was sail #70 for the season - a new record for me!
Posted Image

#2 Kris Cringle

Kris Cringle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:08 AM

Great photo!

#3 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:37 AM

Nice looking boat, Brodie. Can you remind us what she is? No dodger? Favorite sails this season?

#4 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Interests:The sea, women, history, women who like the sea. Racing, crewing, travel, reading, learning.

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:19 PM

Mmmmm....she look good!

#5 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:02 PM

awesome Brodie! Where is that?

But I don't know how you can stand that offset companionway :P

I'M KIDDING

(she's very clean :))

#6 Brodie

Brodie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:51 AM

1984 Sea Sprite 30. Bill Luders design. Although it looks like I'm way offshore, I was actually about 1/4 mile SW of Castle Hill light off Newport. Pt Judith in the distance, heading straight for Block Island. Very tempting....

No dodger, or bimini, or much else that the boat didn't get at the factory in 1984. I bought her last year (end of 2010 actually) and let's just say the boat was VERY original. Brown plaid cushions down below too. Good thing is that I am starting with a clean slate and can upgrade what I want without having to undo anything. Last summer was new primaries (Lewmar 40CSTs) and running rigging. This year was new sails (Jasper & Bailey). Next year is an autopilot, new lifelines/stanchions and maybe a couple other things. Eventually want to get her into cruising shape but for now its daysails and the occasional overnight. I'm actually not a huge fan of dodgers - I like to see where I'm going, and where I sail (Jamestown/Newport) the amount of boat traffic can be incredible so visibility is important. I also singlehand about 90% of the time, too.

Here's the boat, from not on the boat. Only 18 SS30's were built before CE Ryder went under in the late 80s, so not many people know what she is. I get a lot of "is that a Cape Dory?" until they notice the fractional rig (and nicer sheerline, IMO).
Posted Image

#7 Brodie

Brodie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:57 AM

I take a lot of pictures....I'll try to post some soon. People tell me I've got a pretty good eye. The pictures help me get through the winter, I can go back and look and pretend for a few moments that it's August and I'm out sailing.

Favorite sail this season was probably getting caught in the fog in East Passage and seeing a fogbow. Also the day I took a friend's entire family (9 of us on the boat!) out sailing and they all had a blast. So rewarding!

#8 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,119 posts
  • Interests:The usual stuff.

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:15 AM

Sea Sprite 30... How very nice!

Never seen one. Google finds this amazing example. Clearly a well healed electronics geek owns her. Stand agape while looking at picture 13. Now that's a helm.

http://www.yachtworl...I/United-States

#9 Brodie

Brodie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:47 AM

Oh yeah...THAT one....I almost can't believe that's the same boat as my boat. She is hull #10 and mine is #12. Funny story about that boat - there was an article in Sailing about her back in January of 2008, long before I started looking for this boat. Coincidentally, there is also an article in that same issue that I wrote about the refit I did of my last boat. Little did I know....

#10 familysailor

familysailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:04 AM

THAT boat has a bow thruster, does yours?
I can't imagine that was standard equipment on a thirty foot boat.
I know it has a full keel................
Yours is more attractive. THAT one has too much "stuff" on it.

#11 Jon Eisberg

Jon Eisberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:07 PM

Sea Sprite 30... How very nice!

Never seen one. Google finds this amazing example. Clearly a well healed electronics geek owns her. Stand agape while looking at picture 13. Now that's a helm.

http://www.yachtworl...I/United-States

I don't know, to my eye, that monstrous box atop the binnacle is the stupidest helm I've seen since this one...

Posted Image

#12 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:20 PM

Hideous dodger. Also, looking for a brownie point from Bob here, what appears to be a planar sheer.

Posted Image

#13 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:12 PM

Oh yeah...THAT one....I almost can't believe that's the same boat as my boat. She is hull #10 and mine is #12. Funny story about that boat - there was an article in Sailing about her back in January of 2008, long before I started looking for this boat. Coincidentally, there is also an article in that same issue that I wrote about the refit I did of my last boat. Little did I know....

Sorry for the semi-highjack... ;-). Your boat looks very orderly!

We should start a winter thread about all the 'improvements' the owner of #10 did to her. Clearly the man has no restraint and that's fun to kibitz about...

#14 Brodie

Brodie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:09 PM

If it isn't planar then it is very very close....in this pic (taken last night, boat was hauled yesterday) I can't find any significant deviations from 'straight' even when holding a piece of paper against the screen. Maybe a tiny bit at the stern. That is one of the reasons the Alberg boats never appealed to me (and why I never seriously considered a Cape Dory even though they fit my 'boat requirements') - most Alberg boats are fuller on deck forward which can make the sheerline a little weird at some angles. Aesthetically that doesn't work for me on this kind of boat.
Posted Image

#15 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:45 PM

Very sweet boat, Brodie.

Just got back from my last sail of the season, just a quick trip to Sakonnet point. Hope to see you on the water next season.

#16 steele

steele

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:11 PM

It is interesting how boats of this era look alike, below is my tartan 30, an S&S design built in 73. The Sea Spite has nicer, less utilitarian look to it. The eyebrow on the cabin trunk and toerail both set off the boat in a good way. The more elegant shape of the house helps too, but perhaps at the cost of some interior room.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 Mung Breath

Mung Breath

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Interests:Balance in Life

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:34 PM

Beautiful boats, guys. Less is more. There's something about the simplicity of these lines that are timeless. An old-aged friend at my club has a mint BI-40 yawl that is the second prettiest boat in our fleet!

#18 Brodie

Brodie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:35 PM

I have a good friend with a T30 - I haven't been down below on his boat but I bet the interiors are pretty close. My boat actually has more freeboard and a very cambered cabin top so she has more room down below than it might appear at first. Both great boats. There was a beautiful T34C in the yard last spring being lovingly taken care of by two older guys. It was fun to watch them fair out every tiny imperfection in her bottom with inifinite patience!

#19 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:41 PM

she's a beauty, Brodie

Nice comparison there, Steele. Really shows how a small detail like an eyebrow can make a HUGE difference. Same goes for chicks.

As for planar sheer, guys, don't get confused and think 'planar' means 'straight'. Only way to tell if it's planer is to take a model and lay it on a flat surface (like Bob shows in his book). You can make a non-planer sheer look 'straight' depending on the heel angle, camera angle, etc. And most planar sheers won't look 'straight' in profile.

#20 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:37 PM

she's a beauty, Brodie

Nice comparison there, Steele. Really shows how a small detail like an eyebrow can make a HUGE difference. Same goes for chicks.

As for planar sheer, guys, don't get confused and think 'planar' means 'straight'. Only way to tell if it's planer is to take a model and lay it on a flat surface (like Bob shows in his book). You can make a non-planer sheer look 'straight' depending on the heel angle, camera angle, etc. And most planar sheers won't look 'straight' in profile.

I, for one, am not confused. That the sheerline lies in a plane is equivalent to there existing a view angle where the sheer appears straight. It's just a math thing.

#21 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,417 posts
  • Interests:MrsBlack, Brigadoon, freedom

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:44 PM

Pretty. Nice boat ya got there.

#22 Chris King

Chris King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:10 AM

Fall is one of my favorite times to sail on the San Francisco Bay. I hope we have while before it starts raining.

Last Sat I sailed from Richmond over to Aquatic Park in the city. I had to motor the first little bit but had a good breeze once I got closer to central bay. It's pretty rare to be comfortable in the slot in a tee shirt.

I love anchoring in Aquatic Park, watching and listening to the world go by. There were some kids doing a overnight on the Balaclutha. They ran the bell for watches. There was a dixie land band playing somewhere. Maybe on the Eureka.

Sunday morning there was a marathon running by. There must have been thousands of runners being cheered on. A few of the regular morning swimmers stopped to say hello as they went by.

I sailed Puffin off her anchor. The wind has to be just right for me to do this single handed. Then a very relaxing sail up to the bridge. There were dozens of Harbor Porpoises doing their thing. A few years ago you never saw them, now they are pretty common. Thats pretty awesome.

I was going to go out the gate a little way but the fog was not cooperating so I headed back. The woodies were racing off Angel Island. Is there a pretty boat than a Knarr or and IOD? There was a breast cancer benefit race coming up Raccoon Straights all decked out in pink.

I wish I had more sails like this.

#23 rattus32

rattus32

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:27 AM

Fall is one of my favorite times to sail on the San Francisco Bay. I hope we have while before it starts raining.

Last Sat I sailed from Richmond over to Aquatic Park in the city. I had to motor the first little bit but had a good breeze once I got closer to central bay. It's pretty rare to be comfortable in the slot in a tee shirt.

I love anchoring in Aquatic Park, watching and listening to the world go by. There were some kids doing a overnight on the Balaclutha. They ran the bell for watches. There was a dixie land band playing somewhere. Maybe on the Eureka.

Sunday morning there was a marathon running by. There must have been thousands of runners being cheered on. A few of the regular morning swimmers stopped to say hello as they went by.

I sailed Puffin off her anchor. The wind has to be just right for me to do this single handed. Then a very relaxing sail up to the bridge. There were dozens of Harbor Porpoises doing their thing. A few years ago you never saw them, now they are pretty common. Thats pretty awesome.

I was going to go out the gate a little way but the fog was not cooperating so I headed back. The woodies were racing off Angel Island. Is there a pretty boat than a Knarr or and IOD? There was a breast cancer benefit race coming up Raccoon Straights all decked out in pink.

I wish I had more sails like this.

Chris, sounds like you hit the Grand Slam.

Green with envy. May you have a few more good ones for this season.

Mike

#24 sculpin

sculpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,962 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Beer, and power tools.

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:56 PM

Well, I had what may have been my last sail of the season, delivering SP to her winter home.
Attached File  IMG_2933.JPG   110.25K   5 downloads
My transit of Big Harbor (as any Theodore Tugboat fans will know it) included viewing of some visiting cruise ships.
Attached File  IMG_2935.JPG   128.66K   14 downloads
The aft section on one is interesting.
Attached File  IMG_2936.JPG   122.76K   17 downloads
Apparently as a designer this is your worst nightmare, after she was built and in service a few years it was determined that the motion of the ship was way unacceptable, and to correct it they refit the ship - adding the duck tail and sponsons at the butt end... apparently that's what you get for buying Russian ships...

And some guys were out doing life boat training.
Attached File  IMG_2937.JPG   164.95K   13 downloads

#25 Tucky

Tucky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:29 PM

Got out for my last sail this past weekend- just an overnight out to Jewell Island with a friend. Saturday was foggy, actually quite thick and not at all fall like, but we had a nice sail. My friend has no multihull experience so was full of questions.

We had dinner with a couple more friends on a nice Chuck Paine Able 42 with diesel heat and an expansive galley and cabin. I slept alone on my boat and it breezed up during the night but clear and cold and a nice new sleeping bag and I was pretty comfortable.

Attached File  Fall 2012 Jewell.jpg   24.95K   2 downloads

Dawn was clear with a nice westerly and we made quick work of the sail home- Twelve miles in just under two hours with a few nice gusts and a maximum boatspeed of 16 knots, a personal best for my friend. I started putting the boat away and punched up the log for the season-

130 hours when the plotter was on, and 1404 miles for the summer, but this was partially the result of putting the plotter on one day while i was towing the boat up to Cape Breton, which also explains our maximum boatspeed of 59.8 knots, undoubtedly achieved on the Maine Turnpike. Average speed for the summer was 10.7 knots, a little above our usual 7-8 knots, again influenced by the day towing.

It is always hard to pull the boat, but I have a good list of projects and a warm shop where the boat fits nicely.

#26 Anomaly2

Anomaly2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Interests:sailing, building small boats...

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:54 PM

Hit 60+ degrees here today . I owed a friend, big time, who had done some storm prep on my boat before Sandy, so we went for a November sail. First, we greased all the winches ( been meaning to do this for awhile), then he hauled me to the top of the mast so I could install the spinnaker halyard I forgot to rig when I stepped the mast earlier this summer.... on the way down, we took a measurement for the inner forestay that is not installed (been dreaming of Olaf's wishboned staysail...). And then we went SAILING. A reach out from Wickford and a reach back, rail under during one puff (too lazy drinking beer to reef). Scout (the pup) did her Kate Winslet (Titanic) imitation on the bowsprit when we were motoring during the inner harbor stages but then stayed close when sailing/heeled. Good day. No pics....

#27 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Interests:The sea, women, history, women who like the sea. Racing, crewing, travel, reading, learning.

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

Yeah, we've definitely been blessed with a little extra warmth. I took a friend out sailing yesterday as well. He sails, but had never been racing and couldn't seem to understand the attraction.

On the way in, we got into a friendly race with a Catalina 30. Now he understands!! :D

#28 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

Yeah, we've definitely been blessed with a little extra warmth.

We're done with warm, but we're still sailing. Three boats left in a snow squall (23F, 16-22 knots breeze) for the far side of Lake Minnetonka yesterday for drinks. One had to abandon due to rigging issues, but two pressed on. We'll be in until ice starts to form on the posts in the marina. Could be three weeks, could be tomorrow!

Posted Image

#29 Brodie

Brodie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:07 PM

Jealous of everyone who's still sailing...

Anom, I went kayaking with friends out of Wickford yesterday. I didn't see any bright green boats so I don't think we crossed paths. It was a gorgeous day, though.

#30 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:28 AM

We're done with warm, but we're still sailing. Three boats left in a snow squall (23F, 16-22 knots breeze) for the far side of Lake Minnetonka yesterday for drinks. One had to abandon due to rigging issues, but two pressed on. We'll be in until ice starts to form on the posts in the marina. Could be three weeks, could be tomorrow!

Posted Image

I gave up an invite to be in that picture to go watch girls play soccer in a dome :)

one of these days I'll be there!

Brodie, your boat is very nice. I took a lot of pics of Soñadora for the sole purpose of having them on my digital picture frame at work. She's been in hibernation now for over a month. It feels like years.

#31 Brodie

Brodie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:53 AM

Been about a month here too. Boat should be shrinkwrapped this week. The kayaks and SUP do help in the winter as I can take advantage of the occasional nice day by going for a paddle (In a drysuit).

#32 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:53 PM

Posted Image

23F...you guys are hardcore. I friggin' LOVE that photo. How is it that they have Great Brittan markings on their sail, but they're in Minnesnowta?

Been about a month here too. Boat should be shrinkwrapped this week. The kayaks and SUP do help in the winter as I can take advantage of the occasional nice day by going for a paddle (In a drysuit).

Brodie, I'll be right there with you when the temperatures get low enough. I finally got a skirt for my kayak to keep me dry. Paddling is a great way to take the edge off of your withdrawl.

I took a Navy buddy and his girlfiend (misspelling intentional) out for an afternoon sail. 20 solid knots, so I reefed and used the #2. Beau V. was absolutely right about my boat- Reef before downshifting headsails, and if you downshift headsails, you'd better be reefed. The helm is so much better balanced in this configuration. Running #2, with a full main has way too much weather helm.

We made 6.1 SOG close hauled, and 7.5 on a broad reach. I'm not sure why, but there was almost no wave action so I had nice, flat water to zing around in. Temps were in the mid 60'sF, but the wind made it feel a lot colder.

#33 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:56 PM

23F...you guys are hardcore. I friggin' LOVE that photo. How is it that they have Great Brittan markings on their sail, but they're in Minnesnowta?

Jax, The first owner of BlueJ was an american ex-pat who bought her while living in the UK. We still use the north full-batten main. We have a few brits at the club who get misty eyed when they see the GBR on the sails. Its chilly but if you go ski-wear unders with sailing overs, you're good. But you GOTTA have good sailing boots and cold weather gloves. Gotta.

Sons, next Sunday again perhaps but you missed an epic one. One long close-hauled fetch to Maynards, 2 for 1 Bloody Marys as the Vikings scored while we were there. Big open reach on the way home, speedo over 7.5 the whole way, touching 8 on the puffs. The best part of going to Maynards at this time of year is coming in the the lake-side door in our foulies. Some locals at the bar always think we came on SNOWMOBILES. The barmaid just looks at her watch and says no, just those crazies from WYC. Pia helped out on a short-handed boat and got this as we came by.

#34 Anomaly2

Anomaly2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:01 AM

Anom, I went kayaking with friends out of Wickford yesterday. I didn't see any bright green boats so I don't think we crossed paths. It was a gorgeous day, though.

We went out about 2:30... the yacht club frostbiters were out racing on a course closer to Wickford Shipyard but we didn't see any kayakers. Yes on the day being gorgeous. Not putting the winter cover on just yet in the hopes of repeating the experience soon. Will send you a PM.

#35 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:08 PM

Still hangin' in there. I made it out yesterday, after work. 45F degrees, sunny, very dry and crisp. Not a cloud in the sky, and you could see for miles.
Thank God for Helly Hansen.

The sun drops like a stone in the afternoon, got dark in a hurry. I sailed home to a big, fat, orange, moonrise. Once I had docked and stowed the boat, I had some delicious hot soup and hard cider.

Forecast for the weekend is looking good, and warmer!

#36 Slick470

Slick470

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:06 PM

I need to make the decision to either put down the tools on the house renovation and go sail, or button the boat up for the winter. I don't want to pull the plug on the season, but I think we're to the point with temperatures where going sailing means the family is out.

#37 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:22 PM

It would be chilly for the baby.

You know, it's not a fucking sin to take an afternoon for yourself. I admire your dedication to your family though. :)

#38 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,354 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:30 PM

kdh:
Sorry, I haven't been keeping up on this thread but it looks like you are correct. That appears to be a planar sheer or very close to one. At that camera angle with the boat heeled like that a non planar sheer would most probably show some powderhorning forward and aft.

I find that boat very attractive. It has clean, simple and harmonious lines.

#39 Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,661 posts
  • Interests:Learning to adjust to retirement...so far, so good.

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:41 PM

Ed...you beat me to it...that's a Douglas 31. No question.

I heard there was a connection between the Douglas and the Sea Sprite. I don't know how Luders got involved. It looks like 100% the Brewer boat to me.

Attached Files

#40 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,354 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:54 PM

Ted Brewer worked for Bill Luders. That might be the connection. I don't think Bill Luders ever did his own drawings. If I were to hazzard a guess I might say that after Ted left Luders he got the Douglas commission. He knew he had drawn a very similar boat to the one requested by Douglas so he pulled out the old Luders set of hull lines and worked from there. That is not an unusual way to produce a "new" design. While the two boats would be very similar there are most probably nuance differences. I'd give old Ted the benefit of the doubt. You would have to overlay both lines drawings to be certain.

#41 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:05 PM

Ajax, great to hear you are still going strong. We pulled Blue J on Sunday, after a nice sail. We got in late because we had to rescue the driver of a Vanguard dinghy that capsized in the 40 degree water. This weekend is looking fine, but 4 straight nights of temps in the teens had me stressing. As it was, we had to bust through sheet ice to get to the crane.Posted Image

#42 Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,661 posts
  • Interests:Learning to adjust to retirement...so far, so good.

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:41 PM

I'd give old Ted the benefit of the doubt. You would have to overlay both lines drawings to be certain.

I doubt it was anything untoward happened...I doubt any hull that goes into construction is a secret. There certainly are differences below deck, but they small.

#43 Brodie

Brodie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:21 PM

They are very similar boats. The Sea Sprite was designed quite a bit later than the Douglas, and is smaller, with a shorter waterline, so most likely isn't a cut down version, but the two boats definitely look related. The Sea Sprite 34, which predates the 30, also has very similar lines, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the 34 was a direct descendant of the Douglas, with the 30 a later "cousin". The keel shapes, at least in profile, are pretty different.

Douglas 31/32: (1967) http://sailboatdata....p?class_id=1115

Sea Sprite 34: (1980) http://sailboatdata....p?class_id=1279

Sea Sprite 30: (1982) http://sailboatdata....sp?class_id=951

#44 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:52 PM

kdh:
Sorry, I haven't been keeping up on this thread but it looks like you are correct. That appears to be a planar sheer or very close to one. At that camera angle with the boat heeled like that a non planar sheer would most probably show some powderhorning forward and aft.

I find that boat very attractive. It has clean, simple and harmonious lines.

Thanks Bob. Brownie point better late than never.

#45 Mung Breath

Mung Breath

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Interests:Balance in Life

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:47 PM

There's no such thing as a stale brownie.

#46 Brodie

Brodie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:39 PM

58 degrees here in RI today. Had to get out on the water somehow, but with the boat shrinkwrapped, these were my choices - hmmm, toys:
Posted Image

I went with this one - had a great paddle on the Narrow River. So warm I wished I didn't need the darn drysuit but I wasn't going to be stupid.
Posted Image

#47 Anomaly2

Anomaly2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:48 AM

58 degrees here in RI today.

Must be some sort of Murphy's deal. 58 degrees in RI, I have two boats still rigged and in the water, and I"m up here in Anchorage. Sigh. Oh yeah, and we just had an earthquake here (no joke).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users