17 replies to this topic

#1 tigger12

tigger12

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:08 PM

Bought a new pair of Maui Jim prescription sunglasses--I was stunned at what a difference they made. I was also stunned when I was clumsy enough to sit on them and snap the frame in such a way that they could not be repaired. Even though the break was entirely my fault, I got a new frame free of charge and only had to pay for shipping. I took the glasses back to the Optometrist who handled contact with Maui Jim--perhaps that increased my chances rather than doing it myself? Who knows. Regardless, one very satisfied customer here.

#2 VALIS

VALIS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:39 PM

About ten years ago a friend and I walked into the Lahaina (Maui) office of the Maui Jim company (we had sailed to Hawaii), We each had a pair or MJ sunglasses with broken frames, and absolutely no proof of purchase. The good folks there replaced the frames while we waited, no questions asked, and in about ten minutes we were out of there with our repaired glasses. I'd say the company has a great customer service policy.

#3 MidPack

MidPack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:23 PM

I have Maui Jim, Kaenon, Ray Ban and Revo sunglasses, and that's my order of favorites/most often worn. I had Oakleys too, but they were trashed and I haven't replaced them. Used to love my Vuarnets, are they even still around.

#4 WHL

WHL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,690 posts
  • Interests:Offshore, Star, Farr 30, R Boat racing, and gunkholing in classic daysailers

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:37 PM

Two years ago, I walked into their office in Lahaina with a pair I bought there 4 years earlier. The lenses were scratched and the frame bent from being sat on. No problem at all... the receptionist simply replaced them. No charge. Fantastic service.

#5 Trov„o

Trov„o

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,237 posts
  • Interests:sailing (pretty obvious, uhmm)preferentially on boats with more than one hull ;D

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:36 PM

one very important t.l.a. - c.r.m.

#6 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,350 posts
  • Interests:SA is DEAD

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:46 PM

Bought a new pair of Maui Jim prescription sunglasses--I was stunned at what a difference they made. I was also stunned when I was clumsy enough to sit on them and snap the frame in such a way that they could not be repaired. Even though the break was entirely my fault, I got a new frame free of charge and only had to pay for shipping. I took the glasses back to the Optometrist who handled contact with Maui Jim--perhaps that increased my chances rather than doing it myself? Who knows. Regardless, one very satisfied customer here.

Purchased by a little known Italian frame maker that now owns and controls over 80% of all glasses and sunglasses in the US. Remember Oakley? They tried to negotiate unfair pricing with Sunglass Hut - Sunglass Hut dropped their brand and their stock fell through the floor. The little Italian company that owns Sunglass hut then purchased Oakley for dimes on the dollar.

They also own Lenscrafters. 60 minutes did a expose on them recently seems this little Italian company has been quietly creating a Monopoly in the US eye ware business. I can't recall the final number but I think they said that there were almost no eyeware makers left except this Italian company.

Oh and yes they purchased Maui Jim's years ago when the brand was being run into the ground and their product could be purchased at the local dime stores for $20 - you got it the Italians moved in bought it - shut it down for over a year then returned with a high end product with a big price tag. :-)

Anyone want to start an online American made Eyeware company? Seems like with enough bad press there might be a market for one.

#7 FastBottoms

FastBottoms

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:20 PM

Back in the day (1989) when I was a lowly screen installer on Maui (as opposed to the glamorous position I now hold), I screened all the windows in the Maui Jim's then-owner's newly-constructed house in Lahaina. I was particularly impressed by the stream running through the livingroom.

#8 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,350 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:28 PM

Back in the day (1989) when I was a lowly screen installer on Maui (as opposed to the glamorous position I now hold), I screened all the windows in the Maui Jim's then-owner's newly-constructed house in Lahaina. I was particularly impressed by the stream running through the livingroom.

I bet thats about the time they sold to the Italians.

#9 FastBottoms

FastBottoms

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:30 PM

I bet thats about the time they sold to the Italians.

I couldn't say. But the guy clearly dropped the big spank on his pad, that's for sure.

#10 Shaggy

Shaggy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,619 posts
  • Interests:This is SA, you figure it out.......

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:03 PM

Who are the italians?? I love my costas.... Aren't they all USA??

Edit:
Costa del mar's not on below list. And yes I baught them before they became the West Marine shades of choice..... I actually treat my shades like crap, but surprisingly these have lasted 3+seasons now. Good stuff.....

#11 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,350 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:10 PM

Luxottica Group

they own
  • Arnette
  • Eye Safety Systems
  • K&L
  • Luxottica
  • Mosley Tribes
  • Oakley
And they design and make all of these I'm now making it my life's goal never to buy a product made by them or owned by the parent company.

#12 Icebear

Icebear

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:42 PM

Luxottica Group

they own
  • Arnette
  • Eye Safety Systems
  • K&L
  • Luxottica
  • Mosley Tribes
  • Oakley
And they design and make all of these I'm now making it my life's goal never to buy a product made by them or owned by the parent company.

Story on 60 Minutes last weekend about Luxxotica. Turns out they also own Lenscrafters and Sunglass Hut as well as some of the biggest vision insurance plans. Which explains how they sustain the ridiculous mark up on frames.

#13 Trevor B

Trevor B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:32 PM

Don't mean to be rude, but I noticed that Maui Jim is NOT on the above list.
So maybe they're not owned by evil Italians????

#14 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,350 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:40 PM

Don't mean to be rude, but I noticed that Maui Jim is NOT on the above list.
So maybe they're not owned by evil Italians????

http://www.opticalnewsdaily.com/?p=800

They either partner with Luxxotica or see a big drop in their company value at which point Luxxotica will purchase them for dirt cheap. See the Oakley story above. If you purchase them purchase direct from Maui Jim. However it would be interesting to find out if Maui Jim's are made by Luxxotica and sold by Maui Jim

#15 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:51 PM

Interesting. I wondered why my last pair of glasses cost well over $400.

#16 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,350 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:20 PM

Ive been sporting Native eyewear for the past 8yrs or so. Break them or they have some sort of defect and for $20 you get a new pair. They have added a bunch of styles over the years REI carries them.

Not sure if Luxxotica has their dirty mitts on Native or not? From all that I could find it doesn't look like it.
Native is sort of what Maui Jim and Oakley were when they had it going on.

#17 Mojo Risin

Mojo Risin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,917 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:44 PM

You got off cheap.

My current pair with lineless tri-focal lenses, coatings, frame and doc fee was way more. Lenses and coatings alone were $600.

Luxottica does not make prescription lenses by the way (per 60 Minutes).

#18 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,350 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:00 PM

You got off cheap.

My current pair with lineless tri-focal lenses, coatings, frame and doc fee was way more. Lenses and coatings alone were $600.

Luxottica does not make prescription lenses by the way (per 60 Minutes).

Lenses are held by Luxottica frames - a lense is pretty useless without the frame ;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users