DQOTD: Are AC72's only racing in LVC and AC finals?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MidPack

MidPack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:59 PM

I've looked at the AC site a number of times and it's not clear to me. Are they going to compete with the AC72's in (any of) next years ACWS events, or still with the AC45's? Seems kind of pointless IMO to keep playing around with AC45's now that (some) AC72's have launched. Sorry I'm so dense...

#2 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,231 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:04 PM

The ACWS will stick to the AC45's

We could see 72's line up even ahead of the LVC in some kind of racing but nothing has been announced so far.

#3 Hastings

Hastings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,172 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:28 PM

Had Oracle stuck with their earlier plan, there would have been a three-boat AC72 regatta during the New Zealand summer - Batmobile, the Tractor and the Luna Rossa Spacecraft.

But with the Batmobile undergoing major renovations, Oracle have decided to suffer through the California "winter" and stay close to home.

However, prety soon you will see the Italian Spacecraft out with the Tractor.

On long ocean courses.

Which, if you talk to Comrade Schuyler, is the way it was supposed to be.

P.S. If the 2012-2013 NZ summer is anything like the 2011-2012 rendition, California might be drier and warmer.

#4 kiwi_jon

kiwi_jon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:34 AM

Had Oracle stuck with their earlier plan, there would have been a three-boat AC72 regatta during the New Zealand summer - Batmobile, the Tractor and the Luna Rossa Spacecraft.

No there wouldn't have been. Dalts had already vetoed the idea.

#5 Hastings

Hastings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,172 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:18 AM

Ok, fine.

But, back in the dark ages, it was a go!

When is Luna Rossa going to splash?

#6 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:23 AM

Ok, fine.

Labour Weekend last I heard...

#7 MidPack

MidPack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:29 PM

Seems odd to me. It's almost like Indy drivers racing Mazda Miatas for two years and then jumping in (existing) Indy cars for qualifying and the actual race. Huh???

Why do we want to watch AC45's race until July (9 months!) with teams beginning practice with AC72's now? And I'd think teams would be conflicted as they focus on their AC72 programs, periodically jumping on AC45's to race...

#8 Winged

Winged

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:the wind ,americas cup.new media .youth sailing programs . teaching or taking elderly or mis fortunate sailing

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:16 PM

Ok, fine.

It was never a go ever it was mentioned as an idea thats all October 26 its plastered all over the internet .To answer this poor bloke yes Sir ?madam The AC72 was designed for use during the Louis Vuitton Cup And The Americas Cup Finals . There was a thought to have the boats race in the World series. taking over the AC45 That would by now be raced by Youth . Like I said this was in early planning And even before a AC45 had hit the water . Anyway seems you didnt even neeed a thread on this another Hastings in the makings .If you knew the dates already why ask

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users