Excessive speeding on small neighborhood st with kids on it?

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#101 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,655 posts
  • Interests:SA is DEAD

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:42 PM

Good idea.

Neighbors on the other street put their little yellow dude out in the street as well.

Three houses up the neighbor who moved in this summer three kids not kidding bought all the green flag men the local Costco had. When his kids are out he has 6 sitting out in the street which is a side street to the one I'm on which is "C" shaped and meets up with my street farther up rough guess 100 homes off his street. That corner one house up from me has ZERO stop signs or street markings neighbors across from this two way intersection watch people roll off the side street at speed all the time without so much as a glance for traffic or pedestrians. Contributing factor to the stupid vehicle speeds no marked stops from fairly populated side streets.

#102 SailRacer

SailRacer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:59 PM

Sounds like you have an issue that is not going away easily.

At least have your kids learn how to give them the Stink eye (and maybe a camera) when offenders go by at excessive speeds.

Some people do not like thier photos taken..

#103 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,655 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:06 PM

Sounds like you have an issue that is not going away easily.

At least have your kids learn how to give them the Stink eye (and maybe a camera) when offenders go by at excessive speeds.

Some people do not like thier photos taken..

Some of the neighbors have mentioned they would stop the offenders and have a little talk with them but other neighbors who are more familiar with the speeders warn them they don't want to do that given said speeders are quite the piece of work. Which is why getting anyone to hand the PD license plates seems to dry up any time its suggested as a solution. PD claims they will do a home visit but so far all indications is that they don't unless they feel like there is an issue and currently the PD feels there is no issue. Video coverage will go a long way! I need more days in the week to get my system set up.

#104 No.6

No.6

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts
  • Interests:Danger

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:44 PM

Buy an old Crown Victorian, preferably black, dark brown or dark blue add a bunch of antennas and park it just down the road from your place. Maybe even afix a few cans, to look like radar guns on the trunk and side window. Will cause a lot of spilled coffee drinks.

#105 Timo42

Timo42

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,676 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:07 AM

Wanna borrow my old dually to park on the street? between that and Ricky's stepvan, you could choke the street down to one lane easily. I have played the agro neighbor with a large tool in his hand when people speed down the street, forcing them to stop and giving the assholes a piece of your mind seems to work around here. Once had a kid's father come over to apologise for the kid's driving. Dumbass kid thought dad would back him up.

#106 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:05 AM

A well timed beach ball rolling down your drive and onto the road could cause a few "shit your pants" moments.

Every parent knows what follows a ball onto the street.

Dam shame modern cars have ABS,  ruins the chance of flat-spotting tires.

#107 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,655 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:52 PM

Little update given it seems I'm not the only one with this sort of issue.

So Town traffic Safety committee met in January we had 20 neighbors show up to my surprise and theirs! The whole meeting was moved to a larger room to fit everyone. What was really interesting was that we had several neighbors who had lived here for 30-40yrs commenting that its worse than they have ever seen and some other parents explained that they now drive their kids to school because they will no longer walk or ride bikes ie safety issue. I was pretty impressed with the the turn out as was the traffic safety review committee.

The town just purchased its own speed tube system and had set it up clear up at the end of the neighborhood where it dead ends even there the data showed 53% of the vehicle traffic was over the 25mph speed limit and due to the location they missed about 50% of the traffic which feeds in from another residential street closer to the schools you could view it as sort a the center crossing point for half of the homes in the housing area which was missed. So it was determined that they would set out the speed tubes in a better location per instructions from the neighbors. Second in command Police officer was attending and all of explained to him that everyone knows they sit up on the main feeder road which has proper paint markings, side walks and bike path that is not part of the road etc - we pointed out that its well known that people race through the neighborhood on two streets to by pass the police sitting out on the main drag and to obviously speed to save time etc. I told them they could sit on the same cross through street they do now except just park at the other end which sits on the road all of these people race down ;-) he laughed and agreed they needed to mix up their places they park. One neighbor offered up her driveway which Police can use if you give them permission.

Anyway so slow progress taking place its been a year and a half since starting this process with the town.

I'm finally getting around to setting up my security camera system trying to sort out camera location thats not blatantly obvious but can still capture enough vehicle detail to get license plates while also monitoring the front of my home - our front yard is on the inside of a gradual bend and is about 200ft of curb so with the right location one or two cameras can cover the entire length of our property and also get a pretty good view of the vehicles going up and down the street. So in the process of trying to sort that out. I have a couple of bird houses which are now modified to house the cameras ;-) Just need to paint bird houses and figure out where and how to mount them.

They would have come in handy this weekend three neighbors within a the house span on our street including my self were walking no side walks so in the street when a car came skidding around the corner screeching tires blasting up the street all of us yelling at the driver. Too damn fast to catch the plate! Camera would have been great for that!

However I rolled through the HS parking lot this morning and found the car and got the plate ;-) Just informed the police chief he needs to have a little talk with the kid driving it and the parents.

#108 Laker

Laker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:38 PM

One thing that might help is to paint the section of road with "confusing" yellow lines that cross the road on angles. various angle and widths.  Its cheap.  Even looks good.  Your brain can deal with it at slow speeds, but not fast. The other thing is to terminate the vista at the end of the road somehow as the driver lifts their eyes away from the road.  Public art perhaps, or a roundabout.  Nothing like a long, straight road disappearing into the distance to draw a driver to get there quickly.  Works where I live.

#109 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,655 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:44 PM

One thing that might help is to paint the section of road with "confusing" yellow lines that cross the road on angles. various angle and widths.  Its cheap.  Even looks good.  Your brain can deal with it at slow speeds, but not fast. The other thing is to terminate the vista at the end of the road somehow as the driver lifts their eyes away from the road.  Public art perhaps, or a roundabout.  Nothing like a long, straight road disappearing into the distance to draw a driver to get there quickly.  Works where I live.

Our local police are kinda bored most of the time so if we can snag license plates then they will be more than happy to go have a little talk with the driver. Just hard to get a license plate on a car your dodging while dragging your kid out of the street. Hence camera going up should solve that issue, go in the house call the local dispatch line for our cops and give them the license plate and they'll roll up on em as soon as they spot the car or make a little house call to have a talk with the driver and possibly parents.

#110 grouchyIRL

grouchyIRL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:55 PM

Glad to hear it's being taken seriously and progress might happen.

#111 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:34 PM

England has zig-zaging lines painted on the road just before a Zebra crossing, It’s to slow traffic down,  Google it, It's simple and cheap.

A variation on the theme may work.

#112 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,295 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:17 PM

What a lazy hack !!!!

Go round up sum Pinche Vato's and have a Street Graffiti Contest 

tell em they can't make it look like this & They Will & the speeders won't

And if they still speed Dig it out and spray the sides of the hole w paint so it looks fake

they will only make one more pass

1.jpg

11.jpg

41.jpg

22.jpg

remove any manhole covers (tell the neighbors)

Get a City Streets Crew fron San Diego to do sum work on the street and you'll get speed bumps & pot holes all for no extra charge

#113 Flatbag

Flatbag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,871 posts
  • Interests:Shattering illusions

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:59 PM

I live in a high rise apartment at Docklands in Melbourne Aus. There are lots of young kids living around here but fuck all amenities for them so they have to play around the local streets. Every now and then some juiced up moron in a high powered car cuts loose down the streets and causes mayhem, not to mention a whole lotta noise. No deaths yet, a couple of close scrapes but that's too close for comfort. Local residents have tried signage, notes on windscreens etc but I recently observed a really good way to slow the fuckers down.

A well aimed cricket ball thrown hard by a pissed off kid can do around $1-2k damage to a prestige motor car, according to a prestige body-work panel beater mate of mine who has had to repair these things. I have seen it done twice recently. After they get hit, they slow down but don't dare stop and so far, they don't come back. The kids all know their way around the local alleys and laneways so they wouldn't catch them anyway. One was a black BMW convertible, the other a canary yellow Ferrari and neither will be a cheap fix.

#114 USA190520

USA190520

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,641 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:00 AM

#115 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,655 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:01 AM

I live in a high rise apartment at Docklands in Melbourne Aus. There are lots of young kids living around here but fuck all amenities for them so they have to play around the local streets. Every now and then some juiced up moron in a high powered car cuts loose down the streets and causes mayhem, not to mention a whole lotta noise. No deaths yet, a couple of close scrapes but that's too close for comfort. Local residents have tried signage, notes on windscreens etc but I recently observed a really good way to slow the fuckers down.

A well aimed cricket ball thrown hard by a pissed off kid can do around $1-2k damage to a prestige motor car, according to a prestige body-work panel beater mate of mine who has had to repair these things. I have seen it done twice recently. After they get hit, they slow down but don't dare stop and so far, they don't come back. The kids all know their way around the local alleys and laneways so they wouldn't catch them anyway. One was a black BMW convertible, the other a canary yellow Ferrari and neither will be a cheap fix.

Oh trust me the throwing hard stuff at the offending cars has been discussed - we live in California which today would mean you get sued if you do that. Neighbor across from us is Original owner he is in his late 60's and told me the other day when his girls were pretty young he knocked out a kids window with a base ball bat. Some times you just wish it were like the old days one good smack and the message finally gets through the thick skull. Today I get a license plate text it to the officers on duty and they go pay a visit and have a little talk with the driver.

#116 Footlong

Footlong

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,195 posts
  • Interests:Member # 175

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:29 AM

You guys should get together with these idiots.

http://forums.sailin...howtopic=154611

If everybody would just show a little respect...

#117 GRUMPY

GRUMPY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,676 posts
  • Interests:Hobie Miracle 20

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:15 AM

fake-potholes3.jpg

#118 JBSF

JBSF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,086 posts
  • Interests:Racing, diving, cycling, flying, pussy, shooting and any other action sports.

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:30 AM

Has anyone mentioned spike strips?

#119 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,655 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:20 PM

The issue we have on our street is sight lines and no side walks pair that with the speeds some of these idiots are going and its really tough for anyone to get a license plate. At noon today I'm moving a security camera to see if it can pick up a clear enough view to get the license plates, then next time I or neighbor are diving out of the street to avoid getting run down all we will need to do is go check the video footage. Using Blue iris to manage the camera which allows for fairly advanced controls on triggers and how much video gets logged etc. Lots of controls it also has the ability to tie in other data into the video feed so it has me wondering if speed gun data can be added to the video feed. That would be interesting!

#120 oldgoatroper

oldgoatroper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:12 PM

The issue we have on our street is sight lines and no side walks pair that with the speeds some of these idiots are going and its really tough for anyone to get a license plate. At noon today I'm moving a security camera to see if it can pick up a clear enough view to get the license plates, then next time I or neighbor are diving out of the street to avoid getting run down all we will need to do is go check the video footage. Using Blue iris to manage the camera which allows for fairly advanced controls on triggers and how much video gets logged etc. Lots of controls it also has the ability to tie in other data into the video feed so it has me wondering if speed gun data can be added to the video feed. That would be interesting!

Paint marks on the road at a known interval and you can calculate speed right from the video...

in fact you wouldn't even really need to paint anything -- if you know the camera's position, you can calculate speeds simply by referencing the vehicle's position as it crosses sight lines to permanent stationary objects in the background

Having marks painted right on the road is a bit easier though...

#121 JMD

JMD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,068 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:20 PM

Oh trust me the throwing hard stuff at the offending cars has been discussed - we live in California which today would mean you get sued if you do that. Neighbor across from us is Original owner he is in his late 60's and told me the other day when his girls were pretty young he knocked out a kids window with a base ball bat. Some times you just wish it were like the old days one good smack and the message finally gets through the thick skull. Today I get a license plate text it to the officers on duty and they go pay a visit and have a little talk with the driver.

Projectiles sounds fun.  You just need to sit in a lawn chair right by the road with a 12 pack of canned beer.

You win no matter what.

#122 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,655 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:37 PM

Paint marks on the road at a known interval and you can calculate speed right from the video...

in fact you wouldn't even really need to paint anything -- if you know the camera's position, you can calculate speeds simply by referencing the vehicle's position as it crosses sight lines to permanent stationary objects in the background

Yes that is on the list still testing the video system and camera position the security cameras are not exactly frame accurate which I think will pose an issue with the time vs distance traveled approach. My fatherinlaw lives around the corner and hates how people drive on our street - he is retired and taken interest in trying to come up with a creative plan, he's a retired Nuke Engineer trust me that guy has gears turning all the time in that head of his about ways we can either track speed or gather speed info and log it for viewing by the PD when we have an issue like the speeding out of control car this past weekend.

I think small raised reflective tabs would work best for the distance measuring vs time idea given the camera will pick them up at night also.

#123 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,295 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:03 PM

on a dry evening pour gas in a puddle about 2' wide and across the street

repeat weekly and you'll soon have an inverted speed-bump = don't call city to repair 

make another 100' up and 100' the other way

it will be like driving in DAGO but you'll get used to it and everyone will go slow (even Subies) Jeeps will have to go another direction  :o  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

#124 Laker

Laker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:25 PM

Yes that is on the list still testing the video system and camera position the security cameras are not exactly frame accurate which I think will pose an issue with the time vs distance traveled approach. My fatherinlaw lives around the corner and hates how people drive on our street - he is retired and taken interest in trying to come up with a creative plan, he's a retired Nuke Engineer trust me that guy has gears turning all the time in that head of his about ways we can either track speed or gather speed info and log it for viewing by the PD when we have an issue like the speeding out of control car this past weekend.

I think small raised reflective tabs would work best for the distance measuring vs time idea given the camera will pick them up at night also.

If you are recording the speed, to use as evidence, even to yourselves, you will need a frame by frame recorder as latency in a normal recorder screws things up.

#125 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,295 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:29 PM

If you are recording the speed, to use as evidence, even to yourselves, you will need a frame by frame recorder as latency in a normal recorder screws things up.

And in Kalifornia measuring speed between fixed points = SpeedTrap = Illegal 

#126 oldgoatroper

oldgoatroper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:04 PM

And in Kalifornia measuring speed between fixed points = SpeedTrap = Illegal 

This need not ever be evidence to be used in court, but it can certainly serve as a wake-up call to the cops...

#127 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,655 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:30 PM

So little update for you camera junkies - 640x480 is not crisp enough to read license plates unless the plate is about 15ft or less from the camera. The wireless probably degrades the video quality some. The home router is a new high end multi band unit which is proving to be pretty damn good for various uses but the Foscam FL8905w 680x480 wireless just isn't high enough resolution to pick up plates. The frame lag makes tracking time vs distance for speed calculations impossible.

Foscam has a new 1280x960 unit - father inlaw has some credit card bonus points he can use on Amazon so he is thinking about getting that one to see if the resolution will enable us to read the license plates. Test location for the camera on a tripod sitting in a bush about 10ft from the curb looking the length of our front yard and our curb is the inside of a bend in the road so the camera gets about 60ft of clean road visibility of vehicles going each direction. From what I can tell from Youtube video people posted from this 1280x960 camera it looks like we can probably make out license plates. Which is a big step given when we do have someone driving wild and we see it or are diving out of the street to avoid them - we can go back and find the plate and pass it on to the PD.

The 640x380 cameras work well for non detail specific views like say from the corner of the house over the pool or over the front yard to get a general sense of whats going on out side etc which case we have two wirless 640x480 cameras and one wired one which between two properties we will find a general view spot for them. They were cheap cameras so not too surprised there.

If the 1280x960 unit does the trick then we would only need one of those and maybe in the future one or two of the really small high def indoor units mounted up under a dry overhang say front door monitoring and close up of the driveway area etc.

#128 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,655 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:33 PM

The only way to capture speed is to find a speed gun that has a wifi feed which I could then speed stamp the video feed with just like the date and time stamp I can import the speed data feed to the video and have it captured in the video file etc.

#129 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,464 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:20 PM

Too bad you can't handle it the way my neighbor did. The father of two young girls walked up to the young man that speeds to his parent's home in our neighborhood with his 2 children and 2 of their 'uncles' - (the biggest angriest-looking Samoans you will ever see) and politely 'reminded' him that he eally should take more care in the area...wouldn't want the 'uncles' to worry and get stressed-out...

#130 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,655 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:37 AM

Just FYI really interesting network security issue with IP cameras

Great presentation regarding the security threat IP cameras can pose

#131 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,295 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:19 AM

1796533_10153872926415173_13346593_n.jpg

#132 derelicte

derelicte

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:13 PM

The wireless isn't the problem, it is the crappy optics and sensors in the foscam cameras. I have two, both wired and they still suck. The newer hd ones might be better, but I kind of doubt it.

The other problem you'll have is the frame rate. If your frame rate is low enough, and the cars are going fast enough you might only catch them in one frame, which may not be enough for the motion capture algorithms to trigger.

Something like a gopro mounted temporarily in a car or mailbox during rush hour might yield better results. It won't be automatic, but I'd be willing to bet you would be able to read license plates from the video.

Good luck!

#133 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,655 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:28 PM

The wireless isn't the problem, it is the crappy optics and sensors in the foscam cameras. I have two, both wired and they still suck. The newer hd ones might be better, but I kind of doubt it.

The other problem you'll have is the frame rate. If your frame rate is low enough, and the cars are going fast enough you might only catch them in one frame, which may not be enough for the motion capture algorithms to trigger.

Something like a gopro mounted temporarily in a car or mailbox during rush hour might yield better results. It won't be automatic, but I'd be willing to bet you would be able to read license plates from the video.

Good luck!

Game camera can be used if needed to ID a license plate but we have a 1280x960 Foscam in process of being obtained to test this. The frame rate is actually adjustable within the camera's capability the cheap 640x480 camera doesn't have the optics to pull it off. The wireless aspect actually is proving to work pretty well and the optics are the current issue.

#134 derelicte

derelicte

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:57 PM

Please let me know if the hd foscams are any better. I might replace mine if they are.

#135 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,655 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:05 PM

Based on comparing video between the 640x480 and the video posted on youtube for the 1280x960 for the Foscam its considerably sharper. As soon as we have it and test I'll let you know.

Once I get it set up the PD is going to be getting some License Plates from me ;-) - the car that went skidding around the corner and hammering up the street sending kids and parents scrambling for cover drove by last night but DAMN! if I can't read the freaking license plate on the camera! For sure seems to be a friend of someone and does not come up the street on a daily basis. We have two HS near us I drove through one parking lot earlier this week after going to an appointment figuring I'd spot the car - no dice. So one of these days if I have time I'll cruise by the other HS during the school day see if I can spot it.

#136 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,971 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:52 AM

Wish I worked in your area and could help out. I work for a small police department and spend a reasonable amount of time on "traffic complaints" like this. Basically a citizen fills out a form with the complaint and we document when we worked it for 30 days. Then send the results back to the citizen. Some of the complaints are great and people are correct that people are violating the law, other times they are not.  But I enjoy this type of thing, great way for us to be visible in the community and usually gets great results.

#137 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,655 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:02 AM

Wish I worked in your area and could help out. I work for a small police department and spend a reasonable amount of time on "traffic complaints" like this. Basically a citizen fills out a form with the complaint and we document when we worked it for 30 days. Then send the results back to the citizen. Some of the complaints are great and people are correct that people are violating the law, other times they are not.  But I enjoy this type of thing, great way for us to be visible in the community and usually gets great results.

We have 2-3 police officers on duty at anyone time town not counting St Marys College is about 16,000 people. Our police dept has a web interface which we can basically send texts to the officers via the website. Works great when we have door to door sales types canvasing various neighborhoods the whole town basically drops notes on their location and the PD simply rolls up on them checks to see if they have a permit 99.99% do not and they get escorted to the town limit with a firm hint not to return. Works the same way with our issue except trying to get a license plate while diving out of the street is pretty tough hence the work to try and get a camera set up which can then be checked for the plate and then set to the on duty PD for what they like to call Drivers ED visits.

#138 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,971 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:24 AM

Sounds like the department is pretty hands on, would be cool if you could get them to randomly sit on the street and try and catch them doing it. I like the idea of being able to send the officers messages through the computer for non-emergency type issues. Probably go to the dispatcher and get review so they can dispatch an officer to the location. 

Good luck with the traffic problem. The Gopro idea might be the cheapest idea. Figure out the times this is happening and set up the camera and try and get the tag.

#139 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,887 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:26 AM

This thread is about ruining the transportation system to preserve the offspring of those whose parents have chosen a dangerous breeding ground.

The problem is breeding on a convenient street, and failing to restrain the young, not that people use that street to get somewhere.

#140 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,295 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:35 PM

This thread is about ruining the transportation system to preserve the offspring of those whose parents have chosen a dangerous breeding ground.

The problem is breeding on a convenient street, and failing to restrain the young, not that people use that street to get somewhere.

Called "After-Birth-Control"

You ever see a really Stupid Old Cat anywhere or a Stupid 3yo Cat on a Busy Street = No You Don't

#141 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,887 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:25 AM

Where's the rage!!,!?!,!!!??
I trolled this thread with all my heart last night and barely got any reaction what so ever

#142 czo79

czo79

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:41 AM

Where's the rage!!,!?!,!!!??
I trolled this thread with all my heart last night and barely got any reaction what so ever

Gouvernail,

If I could have a beer with anyone in this thread, it would be you.  Unless any of the other posters are hot chicks.  Sorry I can't help you with the rage.  It's all just a little too suburban for me.  A coworker of mine claims he shot out the engine block of a car full of kids that kept speeding up his road.  He's got a barrett .50bmg, so I guess it's possible.  I just give them dirty looks and drive slower when they're behind me.  My neighbors who own the farm next door occasionally go dig holes in the road.  Anyways, I commend your trolling.

Czo

#143 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,655 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:17 PM

Little update for ya guys.

So Saturday morning I spot the car that had skidded around a couple of corners including ours and raced up the street with several neighbors jumping up on the curb to avoid getting hit. Turns out it was being driven by a 25yr old living at home around the corner. I sent the Chief of Police a text with the license plate he was aware of what took place the week before last at 11am on Sunday with lots of young kids riding bikes and folks out enjoying the day.

He thanked me and said for sure they would pay a visit to the driver and also speak with parents. He sent me a note last night that they had visited the driver at his home. He said our description was pretty good and near match to the 25yr old driver. He said that the driver told them that he was sorry and that he didn't think he was driving too fast or unsafe. Anyway the Chief said if we ever see him doing that again to call dispatch right away given we now know who it is and they will go do some traffic enforcement.

So next step is to get our security camera set up working well enough to go back and pull license plates when needed instead of trying to find it later when we are not busy jumping out of the street to avoid being hit.

#144 jc172528

jc172528

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:15 AM

47562AC23124-1.jpg

#145 nroose

nroose

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,439 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:53 AM

I used to live on a street with many speeders.  Stopping distance from 45 is double the stopping distance from 25...  I had this fantasy that I would get a lawn chair, a radar gun, and a paintball gun, and sit there and put some nice red splotches on the cars that were speeding...  Never did it.  Still alive...

#146 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,655 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:39 PM

47562AC23124-1.jpg

Not a bad idea No Really!!! I like it

#147 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,655 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:45 PM

We have another street much shorter than ours which goes through end to end just around the corner the only reason to be on that street is if you live there. Anyway they have lots of kids on that street and the neighbors started having a once a week summer street party where all the parents would be out standing in the street with a beverage and all the kids would be out riding bikes doing chalk in the middle of the street, they would set out cones and scatter extra bikes laying around in the street. A few of the folks are good friends we actually have walked over and joined in a few times. Anyway they said it took about 6 months for the message to finally make it through some folks thick heads that if they don't need to drive down that way through that street its better to take an alternate route that might take maybe an extra 2 seconds vs cutting through their street.

Pretty much the same issue we have given there are multiple points where folks can drive out to the main drag vs race through the neighborhood by passing the main drag in an effort to save about 3 seconds over just driving out to the main drag with proper bike lanes, side walks and no homes sitting directly on the 70foot wide street. ETC

When our kids get a little older those of us right here in this area will probably start doing a similar thing which will make everyone aware that there are tons of kids right here and they need to either slow down or go the other way and not drive back through the entire neighborhood to save a few seconds.

#148 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,932 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:06 PM

you could do what the DOT around me is doing in front of the school (well, actually everywhere, but the school is especially bad) and not fix any potholes or fissures in the earth's crust. In your case you'd probably have to create the potholes and fissures, but it is pretty effective at bringing traffic down to about 5mph... Of course, it also means your attention is on the road and not hitting some dimwit kid that didnt look both ways (this is a major artery, and its a middleschool/higschool). 

#149 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,655 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:28 PM

you could do what the DOT around me is doing in front of the school (well, actually everywhere, but the school is especially bad) and not fix any potholes or fissures in the earth's crust. In your case you'd probably have to create the potholes and fissures, but it is pretty effective at bringing traffic down to about 5mph... Of course, it also means your attention is on the road and not hitting some dimwit kid that didnt look both ways (this is a major artery, and its a middleschool/higschool). 

Our road hasn't been paved since 1956 the pavement is more like just flat gravel held in place by friction at this point, you can hear the speeding cars long before they pass the house due to the fist sized chunks of flat rock making a crumpling sound under the cars as they race down the streets.

#150 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,932 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:35 PM

if you go faster than 5 on the road im referencing, you wont have any tires, wheels, or universal joints left. 

#151 monsoon

monsoon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:16 PM

Our road hasn't been paved since 1956 the pavement is more like just flat gravel held in place by friction at this point, you can hear the speeding cars long before they pass the house due to the fist sized chunks of flat rock making a crumpling sound under the cars as they race down the streets.

You need topes. In Mexico they stretch a thick rope (like 3-4" diam) across the road as make-shift speed bumps. Works great.

#152 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,655 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:21 PM

You need topes. In Mexico they stretch a thick rope (like 3-4" diam) across the road as make-shift speed bumps. Works great.

Hmm? Will an old 10inch thick Tug boat tow line work? Damn that would be fun to watch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users