#101 Liquid Assett NZ

Liquid Assett NZ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, AC,

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:30 AM

for the time been this colaboration is a real bonus for both teams. The LV final will be closser and the race to watch rather than the Cup itself ;)

Absolutely. I am actually a bit worried about the Italians I would be guttered if they beat ETNZ in their own boat.

#102 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:15 AM

for the time been this colaboration is a real bonus for both teams. The LV final will be closser and the race to watch rather than the Cup itself ;)

Absolutely. I am actually a bit worried about the Italians I would be guttered if they beat ETNZ in their own boat.

I wouldn't be too unhappy if we lost to LR. But I'd be totally suicidal if we lost to AR!!!

#103 familysailor

familysailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:50 PM

I wouldn't be too unhappy if we lost to LR. But I'd be totally suicidal if we lost to AR!!!

Why?

#104 jc172528

jc172528

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:17 PM

Why?

Because AR are OR in drag...............

#105 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,975 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:32 AM

All it would take is one wrong move at the wrong time for anyone . Luck is going to play a bigger part in this AC than ever before .

#106 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,706 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:39 AM

Italian America’s Cup boss Patrizio Bertelli is the latest to be critical of the giant catamarans being used for next year’s racing in San Francisco.
The president of Luna Rossa Challenge 2013 is in Auckland for the launch of their AC72 tomorrow night.
He hosted a media gathering in the city today and joined the growing chorus who have suggested the massive yachts are too big and too expensive.
“Whatever solution makes it more affordable for more challengers to participate ... that is the solution,” Bertelli said.
“Is that smaller cats or very fast lightweight monohulls?”
While Oracle will defend the Cup next September, the challengers are in a race to get their boats up to speed for the Louis Vuitton Series in July.
There are just three challengers with the Italians joining Team New Zealand and Sweden’s Artemis Racing for the right to take on Oracle for the sport’s oldest trophy.
Bertelli revealed Luna Rossa’s budget was $90m.
Moving forward, Bertelli said a starting point should be “how many challengers do we want at the next America’s Cup?”
Eight teams have been contesting the America’s Cup World Series that is sailed in the 45-foot catamarans and has achieved the target of increasing spectator appeal while keeping costs down.
“It could have been a very good idea to use the 45s or something similar. That would have encouraged more teams to enter (the actual America’s Cup)
“We are getting back to the 1930s J Class scenario where there are just two or three challengers. It takes 40 people just to put the (AC72) boat in the water.”
Bertelli suggested the limited numbers were keeping “young people” out of the America’s Cup and that disappointed him.
Bertelli said being one of the challengers allowed him to offer his views.
“It’s always easy to criticise from the outside.”
The high-tech cats have already run in to serious problems. Oracle was demolished in a capsize last week while Artemis’s yacht was damaged while under tow in San Francisco yesterday. It may well come down to survival of the fittest.
For that reason the Italians are delighted by their technology sharing arrangement with team New Zealand.
The Kiwis have already been out on the water successfully – and safely – testing their boat in Auckland and appear to have a jump on the small fleet.
Luna Rossa hope to get on the water by next Wednesday and be in a situation to be able to race and test with the Kiwis by the middle of next month.
“We still have to discover a lot about this boat. It might well turn out to be pretty dangerous,” Bertelli said.
“Our big concern is that if you damage a wingsail in training, you just stop training. If you had trouble before with a mast or a sail, you replace it – that’s not a problem.

“The concern is that if you push the boat to the limit you end up doing what Oracle did.”
Luna Rossa will have only the one boat but will build a second wingsail.
Team New Zealand are building a second boat for their challenge.
Bertelli said their partnership with Team New Zealand allowed them to “get things going” otherwise they would have been too late.
“To have two identical boats is mutually beneficial.”
The boats will have different sails and foils which will be compared during testing.

http://www.stuff.co....ricas-Cup-boats

Food for talk :)

#107 kiwi_jon

kiwi_jon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,615 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:58 AM

^^^^

Bertelli is not saying anything new. From 2007 when LR launched ITA 94

Bertelli himself went on to explain when he described his vision of the America’s Cup. “For me, this is a sporting event. I hope whoever wins will make it less expensive so that more challengers will have the chance to take part. Above all, I hope they make it more of a sports competition and less of a celebrity media event. There are already one or two signs; we’ll see. I’ve thrown a stone into the pool, just to make a few ripples”.

http://www.corriere....o/19/luna.shtml

#108 KiwiJoker

KiwiJoker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:34 AM

Italian America’s Cup boss Patrizio Bertelli is the latest to be critical of the giant catamarans being used for next year’s racing in San Francisco.
The president of Luna Rossa Challenge 2013 is in Auckland for the launch of their AC72 tomorrow night.
He hosted a media gathering in the city today and joined the growing chorus who have suggested the massive yachts are too big and too expensive.
“Whatever solution makes it more affordable for more challengers to participate ... that is the solution,” Bertelli said.
While Oracle will defend the Cup next September, the challengers are in a race to get their boats up to speed for the Louis Vuitton Series in July.
There are just three challengers with the Italians joining Team New Zealand and Sweden’s Artemis Racing for the right to take on Oracle for the sport’s oldest trophy.
Moving forward, Bertelli said a starting point should be “how many challengers do we want at the next America’s Cup?”
Eight teams have been contesting the America’s Cup World Series that is sailed in the 45-foot catamarans and has achieved the target of increasing spectator appeal while keeping costs down.
“It could have been a very good idea to use the 45s or something similar. That would have encouraged more teams to enter (the actual America’s Cup)
“We are getting back to the 1930s J Class scenario where there are just two or three challengers. It takes 40 people just to put the (AC72) boat in the water.”
Bertelli suggested the limited numbers were keeping “young people” out of the America’s Cup and that disappointed him.
The high-tech cats have already run in to serious problems. Oracle was demolished in a capsize last week while Artemis’s yacht was damaged while under tow in San Francisco yesterday. It may well come down to survival of the fittest.
For that reason the Italians are delighted by their technology sharing arrangement with team New Zealand.
The Kiwis have already been out on the water successfully – and safely – testing their boat in Auckland and appear to have a jump on the small fleet.
Luna Rossa hope to get on the water by next Wednesday and be in a situation to be able to race and test with the Kiwis by the middle of next month.
“We still have to discover a lot about this boat. It might well turn out to be pretty dangerous,” Bertelli said.
“Our big concern is that if you damage a wingsail in training, you just stop training. If you had trouble before with a mast or a sail, you replace it – that’s not a problem.

“The concern is that if you push the boat to the limit you end up doing what Oracle did.”
Bertelli said their partnership with Team New Zealand allowed them to “get things going” otherwise they would have been too late.
The boats will have different sails and foils which will be compared during testing.

Good to see that Bertelli is already talking about the "next Cup," ie AC35. We need more committed Bs like that. I wonder if today he reconfirmed his previous stated intent for Luna Rossa to be a player at AC35. Sounds like it.

#109 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,414 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:56 AM

So he thinks the AC72's are to expensive, they are, yet he dropped 90 million anyway. Got it.

I like the comment about the monohulls. Add to it GD's nationality comments and ETNZ or ETNZ-LR winning will be ok in my book. Prefer ETNZ-LR though. Prefer Italian women and a timezone a lot closer to mine than Kiwiland. ;)

WetHog :ph34r:

#110 Ncik

Ncik

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:00 AM

On the TNZ/LR protocol racing question . . . there seems to me to be an unresolved conflict in the jury decisions . . . but lets say we go with the later decision (which KJ likes). The essence of it is that TNZ and LR can line up and race if and only if they do not share any performance information off the boats that could not be collected by a chase boat at the required minimum 200m stand off distance.

Of the face of it that seems simple.

But it really means that there can be no pictures or video taken off the boats while sailing, none taken from closer than 200m. Otherwise, those pics could reveal board settings or wind speed (from instrument displaces in the pics) or any of the other information specifically not allowed. And that restriction would seem to apply right thru the start of the LVC, because it is to prevent development of the boats, not just the design of the boats. So, no vids or pics from off the boat or from closer than 200m. #1 How is that going to work with the desire for on board cameras in the, and #2 will be sponsors be happy between now with only distance photos and not the great close-up action shots we have gotten used to.

Also it means no sharing of flat whites between the TNZ and LR team members. Sailors talk and there has to be an absolute total wall about what goes on while sailing. And no talking to the press about how it was sailing - not talk about masthead wind speeds or how it felt on the boards or any other even qualitative information that could not have been observed from 200m. That's also going to be a bit of a downer from a sponsor/PR perspective.

They need to be really careful here. Because the bright line is 'no information that could not be gathered from a chase boat at 200m', and AR/OR will be waiting for any sign that this line has been crossed even qualitatively

Yes, the chase boats can do what they want within the rules. Plenty of data could be recorded by ETNZ without LR sharing it directly.

#111 Hastings

Hastings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,172 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:12 AM

Being a 1-boat challenge, LR will definitely not want a pitchpole.

As Patrizio said, in the old days, you fixed broken gear.

But, as OR have demonstrated, major carnage (which they think draws crowds) can be a knockout blow.

I would hate to see Bertelli come this far. And then get knocked out by a crash.

#112 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,451 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:42 AM

knowing how critical being first to the first mark has been with the ac45

i hope they rethink the short reaching starts with the ac72

if jimmy puts an ac72 over, like he did the ac45 in sanfran

he probably would have taken out at least 1 other boat

and if you are a 1 boat them

that could leave you feeling very bitter...

#113 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,763 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:00 AM

I say to PB:

HTFU!

The Cup is still hard to win ;)

#114 jaysper

jaysper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:08 AM

Prada is one of the few syndicates over the years that have consistently shown a sense of sportsmanship despite giving it their all and having a burning desire to win this thing

#115 kiwi_jon

kiwi_jon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,615 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:22 AM

On the TNZ/LR protocol racing question . . . there seems to me to be an unresolved conflict in the jury decisions . . . but lets say we go with the later decision (which KJ likes). The essence of it is that TNZ and LR can line up and race if and only if they do not share any performance information off the boats that could not be collected by a chase boat at the required minimum 200m stand off distance.

Of the face of it that seems simple.

But it really means that there can be no pictures or video taken off the boats while sailing, none taken from closer than 200m. Otherwise, those pics could reveal board settings or wind speed (from instrument displaces in the pics) or any of the other information specifically not allowed. And that restriction would seem to apply right thru the start of the LVC, because it is to prevent development of the boats, not just the design of the boats. So, no vids or pics from off the boat or from closer than 200m. #1 How is that going to work with the desire for on board cameras in the, and #2 will be sponsors be happy between now with only distance photos and not the great close-up action shots we have gotten used to.

Also it means no sharing of flat whites between the TNZ and LR team members. Sailors talk and there has to be an absolute total wall about what goes on while sailing. And no talking to the press about how it was sailing - not talk about masthead wind speeds or how it felt on the boards or any other even qualitative information that could not have been observed from 200m. That's also going to be a bit of a downer from a sponsor/PR perspective.

They need to be really careful here. Because the bright line is 'no information that could not be gathered from a chase boat at 200m', and AR/OR will be waiting for any sign that this line has been crossed even qualitatively

Yes, the chase boats can do what they want within the rules. Plenty of data could be recorded by ETNZ without LR sharing it directly.

Correct. Estar is incorrect when he says the chase boats have to stand off 200m

(g) except when permitted to sail an AC45 yacht as part of an AC World Series regatta,

without the prior consent of the affected Competitor, navigating a vessel within 200m

of another Competitor’s yacht for the purpose of observing it;

LR and TNZ consent to allow their chase boats to observe each other. Simple.

#116 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,706 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:45 AM

Good to see that Bertelli is already talking about the "next Cup," ie AC35. We need more committed Bs like that. I wonder if today he reconfirmed his previous stated intent for Luna Rossa to be a player at AC35. Sounds like it.

Good question and good guess KJ, I found it in another article of Sail world:
The cost of the Luna Rossa Challenge 2013 is about 45million Euros and they are in for the 34th and 35th America's Cups. Mr Bertelli is very comfortable with the timing of this America's Cup as it will be on around 10.00pm at night - the time when most Italians are inviting friends around in the summer, and it will be very pleasant to sit with friends and see the racing.

They were very encouraged by the crowds, and interest, for the America's Cup World Series in Italy.

Luna Rossa is also challenging to give some local pride in Italy being able to compete once again in the America's Cup, and while Mr Bertelli is conscious of the difficult times that his country is undergoing, he is also well aware that sporting success is a good way of making people feel good about themselves again, and noted the lift that Spain - also not in a good position economically, right now - received when they won the Football World Cup and European Championship, which lifted everyone's morale.

Questioned on his view of the dark era of the America's Cup from 2007-2010, Mr Bertelli was philosophical, saying that was part of the America's Cup, and was all part of the game. His only regret was that some parties selfishly would not allow others into the America's Cup when they had the opportunity.

He feels now that the America's Cup is going back to the days of the J-Class with only two or three boats in the Cup.

Luna Rossa will take their base from Auckland to San Francisco - which will take 60 days - quite an amount of downtime. They noted that even if they had wanted to launch and sail in San Francisco, right now, they would not have been able to do so, because the facilities are not ready.

Max Sirena said they were looking for quality sailing time in New Zealand, not quantity of time due to the sailing days limitations. they expect to start sailing against ETNZ in the second week in November, but they are very conscious of the need to work up gradually and not get over confident like Oracle did, and push things too hard - that is when the risk starts coming in.

#117 atwinda

atwinda

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:51 AM

I dont think a lot of people understand the concept behind the SHORT reaching start- it's not that it's just "fast". There has to be a reason why they would take such a departure from traditional windward starts. And you've touched on it, but like most- too short sighted to see the reasoning.

The reaching start establishes a leader in the first 30 seconds of the race. NEW VIEWERS don't have to watch a entire windward leg wondering wtf is going on, or who is in the lead. We all might understand its a question of leverage, wind speed, current, etc... But the new audience that acea ultimately hopes to attract, won't stick around to watch upwind legs before a clear leader is established. I HATE to draw the f1/NASCAR analogy, but within 30seconds of the start, one car is "out front" and positions are delegated. Much the same with the reaching start- and it's no surprise that the best skippers have mastered it. I have a life, and not enough time to look up stats, but I bet a pretty high percentage of the drivers to make it to the reaching mark first, are either db, JS, RC, lp. Hell- despite that I think TH is a terrible driver and even worse to sail with, but he gets there first statically more than others. And obviously those are the guys winning races/associated with actually cup teams.

I also don't know if anyone else has figured out js' last bottom mark to reaching mark to finish strategy, but it's fucking brilliant to watch him school the other teams on that, even though I'm typically NOT cheering oracle on. I'll leave it to you guys to unearth that one. Hopefully grant dalton, and dean barker DO actually read these forums as fabled, and watch the replays.

#118 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,448 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:30 AM

They have, and the reaching starts will stay.

#119 KiwiJoker

KiwiJoker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:39 AM

Good question and good guess KJ, I found it in another article of Sail world:
The cost of the Luna Rossa Challenge 2013 is about 45million Euros and they are in for the 34th and 35th America's Cups. Mr Bertelli is very comfortable with the timing of this America's Cup as it will be on around 10.00pm at night - the time when most Italians are inviting friends around in the summer, and it will be very pleasant to sit with friends and see the racing.

They were very encouraged by the crowds, and interest, for the America's Cup World Series in Italy.

Luna Rossa is also challenging to give some local pride in Italy being able to compete once again in the America's Cup, and while Mr Bertelli is conscious of the difficult times that his country is undergoing, he is also well aware that sporting success is a good way of making people feel good about themselves again, and noted the lift that Spain - also not in a good position economically, right now - received when they won the Football World Cup and European Championship, which lifted everyone's morale.

Questioned on his view of the dark era of the America's Cup from 2007-2010, Mr Bertelli was philosophical, saying that was part of the America's Cup, and was all part of the game. His only regret was that some parties selfishly would not allow others into the America's Cup when they had the opportunity.

He feels now that the America's Cup is going back to the days of the J-Class with only two or three boats in the Cup.

Luna Rossa will take their base from Auckland to San Francisco - which will take 60 days - quite an amount of downtime. They noted that even if they had wanted to launch and sail in San Francisco, right now, they would not have been able to do so, because the facilities are not ready.

Max Sirena said they were looking for quality sailing time in New Zealand, not quantity of time due to the sailing days limitations. they expect to start sailing against ETNZ in the second week in November, but they are very conscious of the need to work up gradually and not get over confident like Oracle did, and push things too hard - that is when the risk starts coming in.

Thanks TC. Good to see PB confirming his Naples promise.

The Herald ran a piece from APNZ. Apparently didn't have their Cup writer Dana Johannsen at the media briefing. Good report though. http://www.nzherald....jectid=10842827

Report included this:

"Whatever solution that makes it more affordable and more interesting for more challengers to participate, that is our favourite solution," said Bertelli who is committing 45 million to Luna Rossa's campaign. "That could be a smaller catamaran or a very fast, lightweight monohull. The starting point is how many challengers do you want for the next America's Cup.

"We should be asking, how much should it all cost? We would love to have more and more young people involved but with this formula there's no space for them.

"Right now it feels like we are going back to the 1930s with the J-Class when they had two or three challengers."

This has a different and more realistic feel than some of the other coverage that emphasizes PB complaining about costs. Costs are incidental to PB. He's proven his willingness to step up. His concerns seem to center on attracting more players.

#120 Liquid Assett NZ

Liquid Assett NZ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, AC,

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:04 AM

Good on him. I enjoy these new boats But in saying that I would watch it if there were 15 teams in TP 52's I just love the sport. I don't like reaching starts tho.... I am concerned that trying hard to attract new viewers they may alienate some actual sailing fans. If the people who they are trying to attract have such a low attention span, they will leave in droves when its all over to the next cool thing. Leaving only the enthusiasts left.

2 Cents

#121 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:43 AM

Good on him. I enjoy these new boats But in saying that I would watch it if there were 15 teams in TP 52's I just love the sport. I don't like reaching starts tho.... I am concerned that trying hard to attract new viewers they may alienate some actual sailing fans. If the people who they are trying to attract have such a low attention span, they will leave in droves when its all over to the next cool thing. Leaving only the enthusiasts left.

2 Cents

I think they're alienating the real sailing fans in their mindless pursuit of more TV eyeballs for ACEA to hog off to advertisers, sponsors, etc.

#122 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,024 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:42 PM

If it's a 'last-man-standing' kind of deal - there is 1/7 chance that the next Cup will be in Italy!
And if it comes down to sailing skill, they should not be written off either.

#123 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,451 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:54 PM

are LR going to buy an etnz super tender to keep up with italiazilla?

would help both their capsize recovery plans to have 2 of them on standby in the harbour

#124 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,024 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:13 PM

Posted Image

#125 Guitar

Guitar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,104 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, gold detecting, meteorite hunting.

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:22 PM

I also don't know if anyone else has figured out js' last bottom mark to reaching mark to finish strategy, but it's fucking brilliant to watch him school the other teams on that, even though I'm typically NOT cheering oracle on. I'll leave it to you guys to unearth that one. Hopefully grant dalton, and dean barker DO actually read these forums as fabled, and watch the replays.

JK

#126 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:05 PM

Posted Image

Hmmm...any of our Photoshop friends feel like putting Oracle/SLAM/Red Bull logos on this one with bright orange letters saying "AC-72 Recovery System"?

#127 Winged

Winged

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:the wind ,americas cup.new media .youth sailing programs . teaching or taking elderly or mis fortunate sailing

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:21 PM

Posted ImageB

Black is back

#128 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,024 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:26 PM

Prada fashion leader....

Posted Image

Posted Image

#129 hannibal

hannibal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:people

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:47 PM

i'll take the bottom left one

#130 KiwiJoker

KiwiJoker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:52 PM

The most extensive and nuanced report from yesterday's media scrum has come from RG. It's worth reading. I'm guessing he was there with his video setup. It will be good to see for ourselves if he publishes something.

"Mr Bertelli looked like a cat that had just spotted the cream.

Maybe it was the sight of Emirates Team NZ's rigged AC72 parked a hundred metres away from the media conference Sofitel in Auckland's Viaduct harbour, and knowing that his team were about to get one of those."

Max Sirena was equally upbeat about the team's early Christmas present."

#131 JWR

JWR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:33 PM

Yeah, it's chrome. Absurd.

#132 bluelaser

bluelaser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:40 PM

Yeah, it's chrome. Absurd.

Pics?

#133 pjh

pjh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:51 PM

http://instagram.com/p/ROGmCxJlnx/

#134 Barnyb

Barnyb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:59 PM

No mention of the colour at the press conference that will be revelled this evening at the official launch.

the following may be of interest:

Press:
Plan for sailing programme?
Max:
Step by step
New boat
Lots of tricky systems
Foil, wing
Goal to push boat after 4 or 5 days
Press:
foiling in 4 days?

Max & others: (laughing)
No answer!

#135 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,451 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:04 PM

woooo

that's 1 flashy paint scheme

wonder if it will make pic taking more difficult

#136 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,024 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:04 PM

Wowza!

#137 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,451 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:08 PM

" Sirena was critical of the platform twist in the Oracle boat, sailing that it was OK if the boats were sailing as catamarans, but when hydrofoiling the effect of the twist was for one of the rudder winglets to act against the other - and he believed that this is what triggered the Oracle capsize."

i guess that's the official LR/ETNZ analysis

after their 50? of the world's top/best? designers repeated viewing off all the existing and their own videos

#138 the_great_swede

the_great_swede

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:09 PM

pretty chrome

https://pbs.twimg.co...A0oF6.jpg:large

https://pbs.twimg.co.....e<br /><br />

https://pbs.twimg.co...AtFzk.jpg:large

#139 Summerwind

Summerwind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:10 PM

That rocks!

#140 Barnyb

Barnyb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:14 PM

" Sirena was critical of the platform twist in the Oracle boat, sailing that it was OK if the boats were sailing as catamarans, but when hydrofoiling the effect of the twist was for one of the rudder winglets to act against the other - and he believed that this is what triggered the Oracle capsize."

i guess that's the official LR/ETNZ analysis

after their 50? of the world's top/best? designers repeated viewing off all the existing and their own videos

The followong is a transcript from the press meeting. PB spoke in Italian through an interpretor. max spoke english but that is his second language.

There was a lot of talk around the OR incident. the following is Max's view

Press:
What is main difference between OR and LR
Max:
Stiffness of platform
Main cause of crash
OR designed for sailing normally and not foiling
They pushed it because they saw TNZ sailing in 25+
Push and foiling in big seas
So much distortion
Ratio of angle between bottom part of L foil and rudder should be similar
Flex disrupted this – that difference in ratio main cause of crash

#141 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,024 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:21 PM

Thanks t_g_swede

That'll gives a nice echo for all the measuring instruments! :D

Ahem... Health and Safety?
Posted Image

The proud Dad
Posted Image

Meanwhile over in the wing tent... :D Two guesses who's gonna be driving
Posted Image

No boards (and no espresso bar :o )

#142 chic014

chic014

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:23 PM

So is the LR launch tonight a public event?

#143 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:23 PM

thanks barnyb

#144 valenciasailing

valenciasailing

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:24 PM

Photos coming on www.twitter.com/vsail

#145 Boybland

Boybland

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts
  • Interests:Flying sea monsters

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:24 PM

Are they planning to give it to Justin Bieber when they have finished or something!!

#146 Scarecrow

Scarecrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:25 PM

Prada sunglasses for everyone then.

#147 Skippy505

Skippy505

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Rugby, sailing, fishing, skiing

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:34 PM

That's one fancy looking tractor. Its great.

#148 Barnyb

Barnyb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:35 PM

"A Silver Arrow"

It's going to make the TNZ72 look a bit of an ugly duckling when they do all that testing.

Now we wait for the TNZ swan!

#149 Rohanoz

Rohanoz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts
  • Interests:A bad day sailing is still better than a good day at work.

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:36 PM

That looks so awesome - in a shed.

Plenty of bleeding eyes on the water - unless they plan on doing that viking sun-gun thing and burn the opposition!

#150 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,451 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:37 PM

Posted Image

#151 Skippy505

Skippy505

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Rugby, sailing, fishing, skiing

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:41 PM

Posted Image

:) nice

#152 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,024 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:53 PM

They're mad!
Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Chrome finish on the hulls and wing under the black plastic perhaps?

Well done that man.

Note. Photos in post #141

#153 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,763 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:54 PM

That rocks!

+ 10 000

Excellent!

edit: nice context again, eric e & nav

#154 Barnyb

Barnyb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:56 PM

Silver Rocket

Attached Files

#155 Tony-F18

Tony-F18

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,305 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:57 PM

Silver Surfer! :-)

#156 Rohanoz

Rohanoz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:58 PM

I guess we're going to find out how good the Italian boatbuilders are compared to the kiwis... Same platform, same materials different country of origin.

#157 Hemi

Hemi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:00 PM

Chrome finish on the hulls and wing under the black plastic perhaps?

Haha, I was right! Once again, Luna Rossa / Prada the best looking AC boat by far.

#158 Barnyb

Barnyb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:04 PM

I guess we're going to find out how good the Italian boatbuilders are compared to the kiwis... Same platform, same materials different country of origin.

The following is a transcript from the press meeting yesterday. PB spoke in Italian through an interpretor. Max spoke english but that is his second language.

Press:
Technical partnership?
PB:
Because we entered game too late
Saved time
Hit floor running
Two identical boats
Beneficial
Compare
Sailing together with TNZ
Some components deliberately different
To compare performance
Beneficial to TNZ as well
Press:
Design different components? Foils?
PB:
Also foils
Sails,gybes, genikers
Wings identical

#159 zillafreak

zillafreak

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:05 PM

Posted Image

#160 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,763 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:06 PM

One of PB's comments from last night was about how 'it takes 40 people just to launch it.'

How many of them are there 'just to keep it sparkly?' :)

#161 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,024 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:07 PM

^^ Self-aligning aero

#162 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,763 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:08 PM

With that mirror there's no hiding any flaw. Wow!

#163 Tony-F18

Tony-F18

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,305 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:08 PM

Feeling sorry for the guy watching the telltales all day.

#164 Barnyb

Barnyb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:09 PM

One of PB's comments from last night was about how 'it takes 40 people just to launch it.'

The following is a transcript from the press meeting yesterday. PB spoke in Italian through an interpretor. Max spoke english but that is his second language.
Press:
Disappointed in number of challengers?
PB:
No not disappointed
COR withdrew far too late and did not put Italy in good light
Absolutely not disappointed.
However, critical of how complicated it has become
40 people to put the boat in the water

#165 knarly34

knarly34

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:15 PM

GOOD LORD

Luna Rossa have the best looking boat graphics so far.

I mean...what else could we expect from the Italians.

I love Luna Rossa even though I am a ETNZ supporter. Seriously would not mind if the Cup went to them one day, at least we know they would fuck it up.

Fucking stunning boat, imagine this thing flying around the harbour! Not long to wait my pretties.

#166 Enzedel 92

Enzedel 92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:16 PM

PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#167 Rohanoz

Rohanoz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:21 PM

Follow vsail on Twitter - heaps of detailed pics coming through.

#168 the paradox of thrift

the paradox of thrift

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts
  • Interests:I like sailing

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:30 PM

Not an ounce of inspiration in that boat either

lol.

#169 Boybland

Boybland

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts
  • Interests:Flying sea monsters

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:44 PM

Simple maths will solve that!
Pretty sure ETNZ said it took 35, that's means LR must have 5 guys polishing it as it is lowered

#170 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,763 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:49 PM

ETNZ's launch was a very splashy affair, nice to see LR steeping up to that plate too. PB's presence says a lot, he seldom steps into the AC limelight.

I bet there's some Prada glitterati down there this eve.

#171 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,451 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:51 PM

Posted Image

#172 Winged

Winged

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:the wind ,americas cup.new media .youth sailing programs . teaching or taking elderly or mis fortunate sailing

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:59 PM

Farevela has some great shots on there Face Book Page

https://www.facebook...k=photos_stream

#173 onimod

onimod

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts
  • Interests:Cannot be left blank

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:00 AM

Posted Image

Aluminium Foil(er)
Posted Image

#174 hoom

hoom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,879 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:04 AM

Blinder!

#175 onimod

onimod

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:14 AM

Team issue Prada eyewear all 'round

#176 Love2Sail

Love2Sail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:40 AM

Is the jib crome too???

#177 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,451 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:46 AM

will the crew wear chrome body amour?

Posted Image

#178 hoom

hoom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,879 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:19 AM

Photos coming on www.twitter.com/vsail

Bunch of great pics there, especially good shots of the grand central there.

#179 Terry Hollis

Terry Hollis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:45 AM

I understand that LR have built the hulls and all the rest has been built by the same people that built ETNZ ..

#180 Terry Hollis

Terry Hollis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:52 AM

Posted Image

This is a very interesting photo of the mast support .. I wonder what the material on the ties is for ?? .. it looks a bit rough for a fairing but if it is it can rotate to suit the wind direction .. I wonder if the fairing on the strut rotates ??

#181 onimod

onimod

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:59 AM

I wonder what the material on the ties is for ??

It's to warn/stop people from bumping their heads/equipment because the boat is 10' off the ground

#182 jaysper

jaysper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:14 AM

My god thats one hella sexy boat!

#183 rule69

rule69

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:35 AM

I wonder what the material on the ties is for ??

Bunting? It looks patriotic.

#184 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,414 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:57 AM

Thanks t_g_swede

The proud Dad
Posted Image

So this guy comments in a recent artile that the AC72's are to expensive, they he shows off his AC72 that looks like that?

Alrighty then. :rolleyes:

LR boats always looked sophisticated, cool. Not this one.

On the flip side, how can any of the other teams spy on it? They won't be able to gaze upon it for more than a few seconds for fear of going blind. Nevermind trying to line up against it in competition, on a sunny day. Maybe thats the point. :lol:

#185 chic014

chic014

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:28 AM

Fireworks tonight for the LR launch

http://www.aucklandc...ariners4012.pdf

#186 amc

amc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:36 AM

wing going up now on spencer cam

well it was until someone took over control and looked away

#187 Barnyb

Barnyb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:39 AM

Thanks t_g_swede

The proud Dad
Posted Image

So this guy comments in a recent artile that the AC72's are to expensive, they he shows off his AC72 that looks like that?

Alrighty then. :rolleyes:

LR boats always looked sophisticated, cool. Not this one.

On the flip side, how can any of the other teams spy on it? They won't be able to gaze upon it for more than a few seconds for fear of going blind. Nevermind trying to line up against it in competition, on a sunny day. Maybe thats the point. :lol:

No he did not say they were too expensive. You are quoting someone who misquoted.

What he actually said was:

Press:
Disappointed in number of challengers?
PB:
No not disappointed
COR withdrew far too late and did not put Italy in good light
Absolutely not disappointed.
However, critical of how complicated it has become
40 people to put the boat in the water

He did refer to the affordability

We want to find a solution for all
More affordable, cheaper, more challengers
Solution to entice more challengers

That was a solution to get more challengers.

Bertelli is a wealthy chap and it would be beneath him to say that it was too expensive for himself. This is not a criticism of PB, frankly if I was so flush with cash I would not go around complaining about the price of stuff - particularly when my business sold very expensive stuff.

#188 kiwi_jon

kiwi_jon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,615 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:39 AM

Fireworks tonight for the LR launch

http://www.aucklandc...ariners4012.pdf

Bugger. We are heading away on the boat tonight for the weekend but heading in the opposite direction.

#189 zillafreak

zillafreak

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:15 AM

Awesome pics up here

#190 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,451 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:22 AM

^
tiny hydraulic lines going into the wing base. as small as the stuff used for mountain bike brakes

Posted Image

bet the other designers studying these pics

inside of the leading edge doesn't look like carbon, kevlar for the twist?

or god forbid

tortured ply :D

#191 zillafreak

zillafreak

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:22 AM

" If all goes as planned, next Wednesday she will be taken for a tow test and then her first sail on Thursday. Starting November 10th, approximately, Luna Rossa and Emirates Team New Zealand will carry out test match racing regattas."

That is going to be friggin incredible to watch B)

#192 zillafreak

zillafreak

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:27 AM

^
tiny orange hydraulic line going into the wing

Posted Image

bet the other designers studying these pics

Probably just an electrical line to light the wing up like a Las Vegas sign. Fits in with the chrome motif ;)

#193 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,451 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:29 AM

hydraulic line going forward

and alinghi style hydraulic furler?

Posted Image

#194 zillafreak

zillafreak

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:30 AM

Posted Image

#195 zillafreak

zillafreak

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:33 AM

I dont know if ETNZ is too thrilled about LR lifting her skirt up like that for all to see. No sign of the daggerboards though. Did ETNZ intend for LR to have the same foiling boards?

#196 Cobra 524

Cobra 524

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:36 AM

Has anyone heard if there is going to be any video streaming of the launch?

#197 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,451 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:36 AM

maybe they stick with straight boards for a month or so

they would both learn a lot from racing 1 with straight and the other with lift

#198 zillafreak

zillafreak

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:39 AM

Posted Image

Thats a whole lotta stabilization going on. No wonder ETNZ is such a stable platform. Flexzilla designers take note.

#199 Winged

Winged

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:52 AM

PRADA ON BOARD VIDEO

http://acworldseries.blogspot.com/2012/10/louis-vuitton-cup-news-luna-rossa-ac72.html

#200 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,451 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:57 AM

^
ti ringrazio!

thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users