Lot's of splashing and wake going on...

#2 Port Tack Start

Port Tack Start

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:01 PM

Since it has winches, can it be considered a sportboat? HTFU and throw on some ratchet blocks!

#3 Mr. Fixit's brother,, Mr. Fixit

Mr. Fixit's brother,, Mr. Fixit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:44 PM

Since it has winches, can it be considered a sportboat? HTFU and throw on some ratchet blocks!

I think the winches are to wind the keel up into place

#4 Speng

Speng

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
  • Interests:stuff with sails

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:05 PM

So the idea is this scales up 10+ times to be the fastest mono in the world? By that logic you could scale up Custard Truck and be faster...

#5 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,339 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:09 PM

Yeah but CT won't scale like SD, which is really half a catamaran with an external righting arm.

#6 oddsailor

oddsailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Interests:getting on a plane

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:40 PM

would love to see this thing in a blow.

looks like on its way to big-boy size SpeedDream could ruffle some feathers in the sportboat camp first... it'd be interesting to see what it can do vs the usual suspects in the powered-up schoolyard corner once it's sorted.

#7 Mr. Fixit's brother,, Mr. Fixit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:41 PM

I think the winches are to wind the keel up into place

Watched it again and correct myself. obviously sheeting the jib in. so how do they crank the keel over? Like a Mini?

#8 -Nathan-

-Nathan-

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:00 PM

Looks like they got wet. Keel control line snapped... http://me.usharbors....astest-sailboat

-Nathan

#9 mosailn

mosailn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • Location:MI-CT, Toga NY, P'Tree ATL, Boca Grande FL and somewhere in b'tween

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:13 PM

Fucking ugly, seems silly and can't believe Cam is now in on the action. What kind of Moose shit are they smoking up there in Maine? Dang pass that stuff around! I guess Bleeding Edge means snapping a "line"..really? Like the enthusiasm..how is it supposed to go downwind? Looks like it will be sub-surface half of the time.

#10 Obsessed

Obsessed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:36 AM

Don't think it can turn around

#11 steveromagnino

steveromagnino

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:41 AM

@ Mr Clean
Not sure I'd describe Custard Truck as 1/2 a cat as it is one of the quickest sportsboats of its size in NZ and a good benchmark to see if this idea of canting lead works on a boat this length.

Given Shaw yacht Design's experience in canters (9m, 10.6m, etc) and the decision to run a small fixed bulb with max righting moment from bodies, I am not entirely sure that the speed dream small size approach is the quickest way to make a sportsboat fast.

Of course...you cannot scale up the crew to each be 5000kg so perhaps speed dreams' appoach is spot on for a big keel boat though.

Attached Files

#12 bruno

bruno

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:46 AM

interesting stepped hull and planing surfaces, hope it works well, with a swiss boat, aussie, and now russo-american teams exploring the dry bulb concept, all that is required is for someone to build Humphrey's deck level sliding ballast and we should see at least one prove out.

#13 Broomstick

Broomstick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:43 AM

Yeah looks very like cat sailing instaed of lifting a hull they lift a keel out of the water :P

#14 Johannos

Johannos

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Interests:boats, speed, composites, boards

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:26 PM

Great times, mono's lifting the keel out of the water to imitate cats, cats lifting the whole platform out of the water to imitate birds, and kite surfers abandoning the mast, and hulls standing on foils alone :D

#15 trucdesign

trucdesign

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • Interests:designing,building and sailing fast nice looking boats
    dancing sweet reggae music

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:39 PM

Lucky to have those daggerboards

Attached Files

#16 Speng

Speng

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
  • Interests:stuff with sails

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:20 AM

My snide point is that Vlad Mournikov comes up with some great high tech concepts from time to time on how to design the world's fastest mega monster monohull, it generally comes to naught because people quickly realize that a far more cost effective way build the fastest boats for RTW record breaking is build one with more than one hull. You can put all the CFD and other high tech engineering into it you want all you'll end up with is records with qualifying adjectives.

AFAIK the sb version is is only meant to be a proof of concept so I wouldn't expect it to be competitive on a real race course vs other boats that use more sensible approaches to generating righting moment (e.g hanging 4 fit dudes off a trapeze) and hull shapes more suitable to a boat that size.

I am waiting for Vlad Mx-Ray follow up with interest (I'm not saying that ironically) though as it should be interesting.

#17 Mr. Fixit's brother,, Mr. Fixit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:15 PM

Has anyone seen any speed numbers yet? Has the boat gone up against anything else yet? Lot's of pretty pictures,, big presentation at TedX but no hard data.. hmmmmm

#18 glowmaster

glowmaster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Interests:Trimarans, Windsurfing, SUP.
    The ultimate trifecta.

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

they gotta be getting some GPS tracks. Christ, I get them even if I go for a quick windsurf session.

Seems draggy when the bulb is in the water.

I love seeing new concepts being tested though. Keep at it guys! The first year I had my F24, I broke something every time I went out. Not as much drama now.

ed

#19 Fasterdamnit

Fasterdamnit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:58 AM

@ Mr Clean
Not sure I'd describe Custard Truck as 1/2 a cat as it is one of the quickest sportsboats of its size in NZ and a good benchmark to see if this idea of canting lead works on a boat this length.

Given Shaw yacht Design's experience in canters (9m, 10.6m, etc) and the decision to run a small fixed bulb with max righting moment from bodies, I am not entirely sure that the speed dream small size approach is the quickest way to make a sportsboat fast.

Of course...you cannot scale up the crew to each be 5000kg so perhaps speed dreams' appoach is spot on for a big keel boat though.

Um,
He was describing Speed dream. Not CT.

#20 fastyacht

fastyacht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:42 PM

#21 DAK

DAK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:11 PM

needs foils.

#22 Ben G

Ben G

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:12' skiffs

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:43 AM

regarding the post a few days ago.

http://sailinganarch...ard-thinking-2/

I can't help but think the first thing to happen on this overcooked slab-floored wedge is it will stick straight into the back of a roller, nosedive, stop, the weight to windward will screw the boat violently to leeward, chinese gybe and it will all finish in a floppy mess with the rig in the water and the keel returning to its natural state - pointing vertically downward, whether still attached to the hull or not.

Vlad needs to sail a skiff for a few years ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users