28 replies to this topic

#1 Gregg

Gregg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:37 PM

The Ultimate 20 is now being built by W.D. Schock announced by the Ultimate 20 Class. http://u20class.org/...se 10.15.12.pdf

Harken is showcasing the Ultimate 20 in their One Design Showcase in Sailing World Magazine!

Posted Image

#2 Broomstick

Broomstick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:28 AM

OVERPOWERD AND INTIMIDATED, that is why I go sports boat sailing haha :P , they look like a nice boat

#3 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:30 AM

That's really great news! Got to sail with Tom on an updated wavelength 24 he built several years ago. Great guy, and really nice build quality.

#4 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:52 PM

Schock has handled succession really well. Tom hand picked the new owner when he sold the business by telling prospective buyers that it wasnt about price. He was looking for someone to continue the legacy. So with a number of bidders ready to pay the price he chose Alexander "Sascha" Vucelic as the owner and manager, and Tom remains as Chairman and ambassador.

I was very impressed by Sascha when I met him just after he acquired Schock a few years ago. He is a very competent business person who had owned a couple of succesful companies and decided to combine a business interest with his passion for sailboats. I met him for a sandwich lunch when he was doing a whirlwind tour of the country to upgrade Schock's distribution. I was particularly struck by his completely honest admiration for Tom and Jane Schock. Mostly when new guys buy a company, they cant wait to ease out the old guard (right Ultra?). Sascha was radiating enthusiasm for Tom and Jane and obviously couldn't be more pleased that Tom was staying on. But Sascha does bring some tough business skills to the mix, which is a good thing.

Its nice to see a US boatbuilder combine business savvy with a historic legacy of quality. I'd say the U20 molds are in good hands.

#5 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:17 PM

A boat-builder with business sense??? ... shut-up!

Watch out Jboats

Schock has handled succession really well. Tom hand picked the new owner when he sold the business by telling prospective buyers that it wasnt about price. He was looking for someone to continue the legacy. So with a number of bidders ready to pay the price he chose Alexander "Sascha" Vucelic as the owner and manager, and Tom remains as Chairman and ambassador.

I was very impressed by Sascha when I met him just after he acquired Schock a few years ago. He is a very competent business person who had owned a couple of succesful companies and decided to combine a business interest with his passion for sailboats. I met him for a sandwich lunch when he was doing a whirlwind tour of the country to upgrade Schock's distribution. I was particularly struck by his completely honest admiration for Tom and Jane Schock. Mostly when new guys buy a company, they cant wait to ease out the old guard (right Ultra?). Sascha was radiating enthusiasm for Tom and Jane and obviously couldn't be more pleased that Tom was staying on. But Sascha does bring some tough business skills to the mix, which is a good thing.

Its nice to see a US boatbuilder combine business savvy with a historic legacy of quality. I'd say the U20 molds are in good hands.

#6 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:03 AM

My dealings with Alexander have been great and the support for the old santana 20 class went up quite a bit when he took over also. Not saying that Tom hadn't supported the class but Alexander has started including the 20 in the Schock news letters and such again.

Very curious to see a Schock Ultimate 20! Based on looking over a Harbor 20 which is a recent build of their I imagine the build quality will be good and the price will be reasonable.

If you look through the Harbor 30 build photos they seem Like they are very well built, lets hope the Ultimate 20 is as good!

#7 Gregg

Gregg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:29 PM

The Ultimate 20 Class is now a proud advertiser on Sailing Anarchy! Check out the front page! Ultimate 20 "Unequalled"!

Yes, I admit this may be guerilla marketing, but this is all done by the U20 Class and its owners.

#8 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,686 posts
  • Interests:SA is DEAD

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:34 PM

The Ultimate 20 Class is now a proud advertiser on Sailing Anarchy! Check out the front page! Ultimate 20 "Unequalled"!

Yes, I admit this may be guerilla marketing, but this is all done by the U20 Class and its owners.

You mean no corporate deep pockets? ;-)

It's been a home grown sort of deal all along with the U20.

#9 Speng

Speng

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,077 posts
  • Interests:stuff with sails

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:59 PM

A lot of the U-20 don't have the main sheet setup as in the drawing. Various double blocks off the mast or pendants

#10 kmccabe

kmccabe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,514 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:04 PM

Its a great boat and I'm glad to see them with a fabulous builder. I'm really sorry they can't find the Tempest molds from years ago...

#11 6924

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:01 PM

Tempest molds ?

#12 Gregg

Gregg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:34 PM

Posted Image

Beauty and the Beast! Read the whole story here! http://u20class.org/...FoxRegatta.html

#13 kmccabe

kmccabe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,514 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:25 PM

Tempest molds ?

WD Schock was one of the major builders of Tempests "back in the day"...

#14 Mischief_Maker

Mischief_Maker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Interests:Biking, hiking and sailing.

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

Posted Image

Beauty and the Beast! Read the whole story here! http://u20class.org/...FoxRegatta.html

Enjoyed reading your article Keith.

#15 dolphinmaster

dolphinmaster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:51 AM

Maybe once they get going, they can double or triple the worldwide supply of Antrim 24's and 27's

#16 PurpleOnion

PurpleOnion

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:45 PM

Maybe once they get going, they can double or triple the worldwide supply of Antrim 24's and 27's

I would love to see the 24 return, but my vote doesn't count because it doesn't have any cash behind it.

#17 Gregg

Gregg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:29 PM

Only the Ultimate 20 is built by Schock as the class controls the moulds. The U24 and Antrim 27 are not in production that I know of.

#18 nroose

nroose

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,443 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:01 PM

I just bought a classified for my U24. I think that means I am allowed to post here.

U24 for sale. $15k or best offer. Boat is in water in Berkeley, CA. Quantum Kevlar Main only used a few times. Spin and jib are usable. One winch needs a part and to be reassembled. Spars need refinishing. This is a great boat, but I can't afford to keep her up any more. This is your chance to own an Antrim!

So, make me an offer please!

Attached Files

#19 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,467 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:40 AM

That's a lot of boat for your boat-dollar ! Hope you find an appreciative sailor soon. I've enjoyed sailing the U27 out here and I bet the 24 is a real nice ride.

#20 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:44 PM

I just bought a classified for my U24. I think that means I am allowed to post here.

U24 for sale. $15k or best offer. Boat is in water in Berkeley, CA. Quantum Kevlar Main only used a few times. Spin and jib are usable. One winch needs a part and to be reassembled. Spars need refinishing. This is a great boat, but I can't afford to keep her up any more. This is your chance to own an Antrim!

So, make me an offer please!

+1. Lot of boat for the $. Sad to see you sell your boat Nroose and I hope the other sportboat afficianados on the Bay find a place on their boats to keep you in the game.

#21 Speng

Speng

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,077 posts
  • Interests:stuff with sails

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:29 PM

That's a steal!!

#22 nroose

nroose

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,443 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:05 AM

I sold the boat this evening.

#23 PurpleOnion

PurpleOnion

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:47 AM

I sold the boat this evening.

Congratulations to you and the fortunate new owner!

#24 6924

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:38 AM

Hope the new owner enjoys her as often as you did :)

#25 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,996 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:02 AM

Posted Image

\\

Gregg - did that story go up anywhere else?

#26 nroose

nroose

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,443 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:47 AM

Hope the new owner enjoys her as often as you did :)

Hopefully more often!

#27 Gregg

Gregg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:12 PM

Posted Image

\\

No... SA has been very quiet about posting anything about U20's. It has always been done by loyal U20 Owner's.

#28 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:08 AM

Posted Image

\\

That picture has "front page" written all over it.
Although I really am too old to believe in the Front Page or Santa.

#29 6924

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:20 AM

Who is The Beauty ?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ultimate 20, U20, Schock, u20class

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users