69 replies to this topic

#1 cbm

cbm

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:49 PM

so yesterday the shackle at the top of our roller furler broke, why I have no idea, it was the factory supplied shackle and last I looked it was in decent shape, anyway, the jib came down, no problem, but the furler top is still at the masthead. The obvious solution is to climb the mast, but would not be possible for me and so would require a trip to a boat yard, hiring a rigger etc etc. shaking the forestay hasn't moved the thing at all......

Some must have an idea on how to retrieve the bloody thing......

#2 rexdenton

rexdenton

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:53 PM

so yesterday the shackle at the top of our roller furler broke, why I have no idea, it was the factory supplied shackle and last I looked it was in decent shape, anyway, the jib came down, no problem, but the furler top is still at the masthead. The obvious solution is to climb the mast, but would not be possible for me and so would require a trip to a boat yard, hiring a rigger etc etc. shaking the forestay hasn't moved the thing at all......

No Bosun's chair? Stick it on the main halyard, and winch up a willing monkey...

#3 sailman

sailman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,687 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:55 PM

Find a small friend and winch him/her up the mast to retrieve it?

How big is the boat? <30' and you should be able to winch the mast head down along side a pier.

#4 Matt B

Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:08 PM

No Bosun's chair? Stick it on the main halyard, and winch up a willing monkey...

Just don't use the shackle.

#5 cbm

cbm

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:16 PM

no way to winch the mast down...boat is 34ft with an air draft of 50ft......I guess the answer is the Royal Navy solution....."find a small boy of no consequence" and haul him up the mast...

#6 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,932 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:23 PM

i have found that wishing and cursing has made the halyard at the end of the rig become heavier than the part hanging down the mast which has avoided the need for me to go up the rig. most of the time, i have to go up the rig.

#7 casc27

casc27

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:50 PM

I'm always amazed at people who own boats and do not have the technology (i.e., a bosun's chair or a climbing harness) to get either themselves or a crew-member up the mast. Seems like owning a car and not knowing how to check the oil. If you do go the Royal Navy route be sure to TIE the chair or climbing harness to the halyard used to haul to poor waif up the stick rather than using the shackle. Lawyers and modern liability have made the expendability of small boys a much more expensive prospect that it once was.

#8 cbm

cbm

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:12 PM

I'm always amazed at people who own boats and do not have the technology (i.e., a bosun's chair or a climbing harness) to get either themselves or a crew-member up the mast. Seems like owning a car and not knowing how to check the oil. If you do go the Royal Navy route be sure to TIE the chair or climbing harness to the halyard used to haul to poor waif up the stick rather than using the shackle. Lawyers and modern liability have made the expendability of small boys a much more expensive prospect that it once was.

By the way I have the technology, but I am disabled so I can neither climb the mast or hoist someone else so I would rather explore all possibilities before I risk someone else's wellbeing. If I need to pay a professional to help I will....

#9 fastyacht

fastyacht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:15 PM

Bow and arrow with a string? Lassoo? Long long specially made 50 foot long carbon fiber grabber? miniature RPA (quad copter)? Trained Squirrel?

#10 misconseption2348

misconseption2348

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:25 PM

Bow and arrow with a string? Lassoo? Long long specially made 50 foot long carbon fiber grabber? miniature RPA (quad copter)? Trained Squirrel?

Bow and arrow: he's disabled archery requires a lot of physical control, also missing can have tragic consequences.
Lasso: again requires very high level of skill, plus 50' is a long way to throw vertically with accuracy.
50' retrieval pole: potential but becomes difficult to control, also storage? Would need to be telescopic, adding complexity and weight. Getting closer, has potential
Trained Squirrel? Squirrels are notoriously unreliable and in general dicks. Good luck trying to get them to do anything for you without payment up front, then chances are they just bugger off before you can catch them again. Stay away from these pricks.
Mini copter: Looks like the best choice. Low physical expenditure, only hang up is a grabbing mechanism. Someone with more engineering expertise can probably figure that out pretty easily. This one has the most potential, what else you got?

#11 Hewie

Hewie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:30 PM

40 foot clearance bridge. Approach slowly when there's no current.

#12 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,616 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:33 PM

Small child on a halyard is the best answer. Face it, they are easily replaceable so I wouldn't worry too much if you lose a couple.

#13 walterbshaffer

walterbshaffer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts
  • Interests:Formerly Member No. 9720

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:39 PM

yeah baby.

at that size boat you must have 2 jib halyards & a foil with grooves of some kind...ditch the furler and use real sails w/o those foam battens

I took the furling sails off 2 years ago & never looked back; last weeknd in 29 I was glad i had the 105% up; weekend before that in 7 I was glad I had the 155% up.

the amount of extra time you spend sailing to where you want to go with the wrong sails up is longer than the same trip + folding the headsails when you get there.

try it, you'll like it.

#14 JFM

JFM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:44 PM

If you cannot round up a child, small friend or bosun's chair, make a grapnel out of stiff wire (old clothes hangar wire always works, mount it " upside down" so the hooks are the highest part of it when you hoist the contraption. Work it up and down and twist it until one of the hooks connects with the old shackle or the line above it. Works for me.

#15 JWBooth

JWBooth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:Proud Co-founder and Ring Leader of the White Trash Circus:
    Local 270 Western Kentucky Chapter

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:47 PM

Despite any type of handicap (be it racial, mental or physical), I would not rule out the Archery option... I mean, that blind archer put the smack down at the Olympics earlier this year.

I'm with Miscon, scrap the squirrel idea. Raccoon's are very intelligent creatures and may be a viable option, however the majority lack basic social skills. Expect one to drink all your beer, hit on your wife and shit in your cockpit only to pass out in the head before retrieving the halyard.

Best of luck.

#16 fastyacht

fastyacht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:48 PM

If you cannot round up a child, small friend or bosun's chair, make a grapnel out of stiff wire (old clothes hangar wire always works, mount it " upside down" so the hooks are the highest part of it when you hoist the contraption. Work it up and down and twist it until one of the hooks connects with the old shackle or the line above it. Works for me.

Brilliant! That will work!

So you use the other halyard next to it to do this--jib or spin or even main if nothing else.

And just make sure you tie the downhaul on well enough not to lose it!

#17 Delta Blues

Delta Blues

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,779 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:52 PM

Ive seen boats tied on either side of the dock, where on the good mast boat they take someone up the bosun's chair and people line the inside rails of both boats so the masts overlap, and bring down the halyard with this technique. Commonly done on frac rigs when they lose the main halyard and there is no way to hoist anyone up that high.

#18 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:53 PM

Raccoon's Bowmen are very intelligent creatures and may be a viable option, however the majority lack basic social skills. Expect one to drink all your beer, hit on your wife and shit in your cockpit only to pass out in the head before retrieving the halyard.

Best of luck.

Fixed it for you.

#19 TJSocal

TJSocal

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:08 PM

Seriously, if you can't find a crew and a chair to go up the mast, seems like you could find a rigger who would make a boat call, you shouldn't have to take the boat to a yard.

If you do send someone up the mast, in addition to tying the chair to the main halyard rather than using the shackle I'd consider using a spare jib or spin halyard as a safety line if you've got one. Have somebody tend it on the winch just to keep the slack out of it.

#20 Somebody Else

Somebody Else

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,827 posts
  • Interests:Shootings, just like HotRod!

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:43 PM

IBJ/105 Posted Image

#21 Titus

Titus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:59 PM

Posted Image

#22 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,616 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:01 PM

Posted Image

If you had any children left for bait, you could troll for Great Whites with that gizmo.

#23 P_Wop

P_Wop

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:29 PM

Six steps:
1. Arm yourself with a case of good beer.
2. Tie alongside a bigger boat, with a thirsty crew and a bosun's chair.
3. Have them send someone up their rig, with a line loosely attached round your headstay.
4. He pulls himself across the gap.
5. He snags your halyard, and brings it down.
6. Both crews drink all the beer.

#24 familysailor

familysailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:38 PM

Six steps:
3. Have them send someone up their rig, with a line loosely attached round your headstay.

+1
Best solution.
Best fun potential.
Best use of beer.

#25 Maclir

Maclir

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:47 PM

I'm with Miscon, scrap the squirrel idea. Raccoon's are very intelligent creatures and may be a viable option, however the majority lack basic social skills. Expect one to drink all your beer, hit on your wife and shit in your cockpit only to pass out in the head before retrieving the halyard.

Best of luck.

You make raccoons sound like your average bowman (and before people get out of shape, when I last raced I was a bowman).

There's nothing like the view from teh top of a mast on a 40 footer doing 12 knots up the Australian east coast... you get a great view of the rest of the fleet.

#26 ropetrick

ropetrick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:48 PM

Six steps:

+1
Best solution.
Best fun potential.
Best use of beer.

+2

This method should keep the racoon/bowman from shitting in the cockpit.

#27 PDG

PDG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:13 PM

Where is your boat kept? Surely there's an anarchist or two near by who could be persuaded to play fetch for a tasty malt beverage or six...

#28 cbm

cbm

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:31 AM

Where is your boat kept? Surely there's an anarchist or two near by who could be persuaded to play fetch for a tasty malt beverage or six...

That would work, The boat is at my apartment on Miami Beach.....happy to provide the beer or even a sundowner rum, I have a pretty good selection from when I worked in the Caribbean.

#29 dacapo

dacapo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,383 posts
  • Interests:walks on the beach,a good book,a good cry

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:36 AM

if i lived in Fla. I'd be there tomorrow....alas, I live in NY....there's gotta be someone close?? Anyone??

#30 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:31 AM

Best of luck.

You make raccoons sound like your average bowman (and before people get out of shape, when I last raced I was a bowman).

<snip>

What? you think bowmen arn't worthy of such a complement?

#31 mh111

mh111

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:47 AM

i have a main halyard to get down from the top of an etchells mast this week. too lazy (and time poor) to take the mast down so i'm hiring a cherry picker. best $60- spent in a long time

although a case of beer is probably cheaper...

cheers,

#32 Balder

Balder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, and currently trying to configure my career to sail more, may be able to pull it off.

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:11 AM

If you had my wife you could have sent her up the mast - even in the middle of the race. Here is the picture she took to prove it.

Polar Bear Series 2011, Vancouver, BC, "It's Magic", 1982 Bennetteau First 38

(note she was the foredeck, so when the spin haly let go, it was her responsibility)

Sorry just had to brag.

Attached File  172824_10150149260634973_3174779_o.jpg   103.54K   56 downloads

#33 Timmys_Trick_Turkey

Timmys_Trick_Turkey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:31 AM

seriously, how can someone who owns a keel boat, ask a question like "how do I get a halyard down ?" Scary shyt that. Has the gin palace ever left its mooring ??? The shackle pin came undone because you didnt tighten it with a shackle spanner. You only did it up finger tight. And if you hadve wrapped electrical tape around it (so it didnt tear the spinnaker), you wouldnt have lost the loose pin.

#34 Drop Bear.

Drop Bear.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Interests:none.

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:40 AM

seriously, how can someone who owns a keel boat, ask a question like "how do I get a halyard down ?" Scary shyt that. Has the gin palace ever left its mooring ??? The shackle pin came undone because you didnt tighten it with a shackle spanner. You only did it up finger tight. And if you hadve wrapped electrical tape around it (so it didnt tear the spinnaker), you wouldnt have lost the loose pin.

Reading the thread and comprehending wouldn't go astray before a rant.

#35 atoyot

atoyot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:51 AM

Yes, Tx3, that's what we need around here. More judgmental comments rather than just polite, sound advice. Ever consider that the man has never had to do this before because he's that careful but finally, at this point in his sailing career, made a simple mistake?

#36 soling2003

soling2003

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts
  • Interests:sailing, of course, retired now. Diving, skiing, etc.

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:37 AM

Sorry balder, but all that pic proves is Someone went up the mast. Let's see you prove it with a pic of her up the mast. ;)

#37 KRC

KRC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:01 PM

You're the boss. Delegate. Get one of your crew to sit in the harness and get another to grind the winch. If you feel the need to get your hands dirty, tail the safety halyard. Bring a case of your favorite beer. If you can't get two crew to show up for a couple of brews in exchange for 5 minutes' work, then it's time to find new crew.

Unless of course, you sail singlehanded all the time. In that case, I'd go the dock waif route.

#38 cbm

cbm

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:07 PM

Well I wasn't going to get into a shit fight with an idiot, but here goes:

1) I know EXACTLY how to get a halyard down, but I'm not capable of doing it anymore. In my youth, I would be up the mast in an instant, no problem, now I need more inventive ways.....
2) Does the "gin palace" leave the dock......yes actually EVERY week at least once or twice, including crossing to the islands, trips to the keys, wednesday night racing and a other races (conch cup, miami to key largo etc....) I have sailed for nearly 35 years including an atlantic crossing and a leg in the BT Global Challenge. Before my stroke I also owned and sailed an Open 5.70....so sometimes a "rum runner" but never a "gin palace"
3) The shackle BROKE, both pieces are on my desk. This is the first time I have ever broken a shackle. I think it was the one supplied with the furler, it had a pin that was tightened with an Allen key and it was tight. All other shackles on the boat that don't move much are moused with wire !

If you are in Miami I would be happy to take you sailing.......2 disabled sailors together...but I forgot, being an idiot isn't a disability, it's a lifestyle choice......

#39 Rex II

Rex II

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Interests:Cats, Kites,Canters,being on plane and the open ocean

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:47 PM

Hahaha... Welcome to Sailing anarchy.

Now to answer the question. Grab a second line of sufficient length to act as a down haul. Tie a slip Knot to form a loop around the forestay with some slack so when you hoist the loop it slips over the head roller. pull both spare halyard and downhaul to close the loop above the offending hardware. Pull down the hardware coat thoroughly with Mc Lube.

Loosen the backstay and wiggle the spare line and the forestay as the loop approaches the roller, whole deal shouldn't take 3 minutes.

I'll let you know when I have time for that beer.

Cheers
Rex II

#40 ropetrick

ropetrick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:48 PM

Well Done cbm.

#41 Aloha 27

Aloha 27

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:51 PM

Six steps:

+1
Best solution.
Best fun potential.
Best use of beer.

+2

This method should keep the raccoon/bowman from shitting in the cockpit.

+3. I like it!

#42 JohnMB

JohnMB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:06 PM

[deleted] the usual [/end deleted]

1) I know EXACTLY how to get a halyard down, but I'm not capable of doing it anymore. In my youth, I would be up the mast in an instant, no problem, now I need more inventive ways.....
2) Does the "gin palace" leave the dock......yes actually EVERY week at least once or twice, including crossing to the islands, trips to the keys, wednesday night racing and a other races (conch cup, miami to key largo etc....) I have sailed for nearly 35 years including an atlantic crossing and a leg in the BT Global Challenge. Before my stroke I also owned and sailed an Open 5.70....so sometimes a "rum runner" but never a "gin palace"
3) The shackle BROKE, both pieces are on my desk. This is the first time I have ever broken a shackle. I think it was the one supplied with the furler, it had a pin that was tightened with an Allen key and it was tight. All other shackles on the boat that don't move much are moused with wire !

If you are in Miami I would be happy to take you sailing.......2 disabled sailors together...but I forgot, being an idiot isn't a disability, it's a lifestyle choice......

never under any circumstance respond to TTT
if possible add him to your ignore list
if responding don't leave the quote in place so that people who have him on ignore don't have to read it.

#43 bgytr

bgytr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:54 PM

Nearby bridge on a calm day?

#44 MidPack

MidPack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:47 PM

Seriously, if you can't find a crew and a chair to go up the mast, seems like you could find a rigger who would make a boat call, you shouldn't have to take the boat to a yard.

If you do send someone up the mast, in addition to tying the chair to the main halyard rather than using the shackle I'd consider using a spare jib or spin halyard as a safety line if you've got one. Have somebody tend it on the winch just to keep the slack out of it.

I've kept boats in quite a few different locations, and finding someone to go up the mast and someone else to handle the winch (evidently necessary in this case) has never been a problem at all. For someone who can't do it themselves, I'd think people would be more than happy to help you. I'm a little surprised at the question too...

#45 The Main Man

The Main Man

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:28 PM

Nice response! If I lived over that way, I'd happily volunteer to be winched up to get it down for you

#46 bhyde

bhyde

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:F-24II

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:28 PM

TTT - Owned
The Main Man - Props

#47 tuf-luf

tuf-luf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,571 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:22 AM

TTT - Owned
The Main Man - Props

+1

Nice slap down.

#48 Balder

Balder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, and currently trying to configure my career to sail more, may be able to pull it off.

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:26 AM

Sorry balder, but all that pic proves is Someone went up the mast. Let's see you prove it with a pic of her up the mast. ;)

Yes. You can see my helmsman Joseph, the professional photog, taking a pic. He was supposed to get it to us, lets see if I can nail him down!

#49 Balder

Balder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:41 AM

Hahaha... Welcome to Sailing anarchy.

Now to answer the question. Grab a second line of sufficient length to act as a down haul. Tie a slip Knot to form a loop around the forestay with some slack so when you hoist the loop it slips over the head roller. pull both spare halyard and downhaul to close the loop above the offending hardware. Pull down the hardware coat thoroughly with Mc Lube.

Loosen the backstay and wiggle the spare line and the forestay as the loop approaches the roller, whole deal shouldn't take 3 minutes.

I'll let you know when I have time for that beer.

Cheers
Rex II

That's sweet, have to add that to the bag of tricks.

I could see that coming in handy when shorthanded offshore!

#50 Timmys_Trick_Turkey

Timmys_Trick_Turkey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:58 AM

cbm, sorry to hear about your stroke, and your struggle to keep sailing despite being unable to remember basic seamanship practices, or use your winch.....

I can understand why your situation has left you confused and angry, but seriously, if you are having this much trouble with your disability and your memory, safe boating requires you to finally hand in your ticket.

No way does someone with a background like you CLAIM to have, not know a few alternative ways of retrieving a halyard...

Give it up cbm. You came on here, asked a stupid noob question, and got the caning you deserved. Dont like it ? Tough.

Sometimes the person suffering the stroke is the last one to realise that he's got a problem. You've got a problem CBM.

#51 ALittleLoose

ALittleLoose

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:Blah blah blah

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:36 AM

The guy in the Cialis commercial does't have much trouble changing his broken shackle. I know it's a halyard vs. a main sheet.

Seems like a dosage issue.

I'm very surprised that the SA community has just shown up and taken care of this for you.

#52 atoyot

atoyot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:27 AM

Sure, it's easy to fix stuff at eye level while under a tow.

#53 MB Sailing

MB Sailing

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:44 PM

Done this action too many times. $ 3 / foot and your halyard is replace. Obviously, you buy a new halyard or fix old. Preferably not when the rigger is 50' up...

#54 hawaiiseadog

hawaiiseadog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:54 PM

By the way I have the technology, but I am disabled so I can neither climb the mast or hoist someone else so I would rather explore all possibilities before I risk someone else's wellbeing. If I need to pay a professional to help I will....

There should be no need to pay a professional... Have you checked with your crew? Most often the bowman will be more than happy to go up and get it. And if you are not able to grind him or her up yourself, there should be others on the crew to help do this. And if not your crew, maybe a few buddies in the marina?

If people are new at it, go slowly and talk them through it. Its good practice, and they need (and will probably want) to learn the skill. At some level, there should be trips up the mast for visual inspections every now and again and it should not be feared if done properly. And it could prove beneficial if a situation were to arise out on the water.....

Just an aside - lol - my "bow-woman" chewed me out the other day that I don't send her up the mast enough. Apparently she has been talking to all the other bowpeople at the YC and they have been making fun of her!

#55 Sublime

Sublime

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:Cecile the Crane

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:45 AM

I had a similar problem and got it down without assistance.

I used an old stiff rope and tied a slip knot with a loop, then taped it to the main halyard. I tied another line to the stiff rope to make it long enough. Don't forget the messenger line for the jib halyard.
The stiff rope held an open loop. I pulled the main halyard up and, after a lot of foredeck dancings and swearing, I managed to get the end of the jib halyard into the loop. I closed the loop and hauled that bitch down.

#56 cbm

cbm

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:26 AM

I used an old stiff rope and tied a slip knot with a loop, then taped it to the main halyard. I tied another line to the stiff rope to make it long enough. Don't forget the messenger line for the jib halyard.
The stiff rope held an open loop. I pulled the main halyard up and, after a lot of foredeck dancings and swearing, I managed to get the end of the jib halyard into the loop. I closed the loop and hauled that bitch down.

Thanks, I'll try this when the wind lets up.....55knts at the moment !

#57 Anonymous Anarchist

Anonymous Anarchist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:35 PM

I just can't stop thinking about pulling my wife up the mast with a halyard.

aa

#58 MB Sailing

MB Sailing

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:09 PM

Did you offer $ 3 / foot yet... :D I wouldn't put my bow person or wife up there either... Pay the bucks and shut up

#59 Anonymous Anarchist

Anonymous Anarchist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:25 PM

This idea was posted on SA quite sometime ago. The posting inspired considerable braggadaccio as I recall.

aa

Attached File  MastClimb.jpg   16.18K   69 downloads

#60 familysailor

familysailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:00 PM

How did you fare during Sandy and related adventures?
I'm hoping that the halyard was your biggest problem......

#61 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:51 PM

Ring up Shake A Leg in Miami. They are a great disabled sailing center and I'm sure they'll help you out. While on the phone, figure out how to get involved and pay it forward

www.shakealegmiami.org 305-858-5550

#62 cbm

cbm

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:27 AM

Ring up Shake A Leg in Miami. They are a great disabled sailing center and I'm sure they'll help you out. While on the phone, figure out how to get involved and pay it forward

www.shakealegmiami.org 305-858-5550

I am both a voluntary skipper and instructor at SALM....their cherry picker is dead, and the hoist isn't high enough to climb up and swing across, thought of that already...

Anyway, I had Christian Dam, of Dam Rigging come by and he got it down, tuned the rig and replaced most of the lines while he was at it....did a great job, call him if you need rigging work in Miami.

#63 By the lee

By the lee

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:44 AM

This idea was posted on SA quite sometime ago. The posting inspired considerable braggadaccio as I recall.

aa

Attached File  MastClimb.jpg   16.18K   69 downloads

I was thinkin' same thing go out in a blow sheet in sail broadside to wind send someone scamper up mast?

#64 Black Jack

Black Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:41 PM

Just got one the other day....

helping a friend, we lost the main halyard to the top of a 48ft wooden mast of questionable strength. After a 10 second red face, I thought and used what I had at hand - The second halyard, a bungee cord with metal hooks, a long line and duck tape. i used the second halyard line as my working line. I duck taped both ends of a bungee cord forming a two prong grappling hook to the top of a Alumium boat hook. Then I taped the boat hook on the second halyard line. I secured an additional long line so I had plenty of line to work with. The boat hook worked to counterbalance the bungee hooks and enabled a clearer, more percise shot of grabbing that floating fitting. Once readied I hauled up the bungee hook- boat hook. I walked the working line to the next dock over which reduced glair and neck strain. Once the bungee grapple was in position, I managed to snag the lost halyard fitting. I then walked back to the boat and dropped the second line under the weight of pole and line - bringing down the lost main halyard. Took all of 20 mins.

Come to think of it... No beer was provided.

#65 volfan615

volfan615

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:05 PM

Six steps:

Now that sounds like a good solution...

Are you on a dock? No neighbors willing to help?

#66 Aloha 27

Aloha 27

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:40 PM

Just got one the other day....

helping a friend, we lost the main halyard to the top of a 48ft wooden mast of questionable strength. After a 10 second red face, I thought and used what I had at hand - The second halyard, a bungee cord with metal hooks, a long line and duck tape. i used the second halyard line as my working line. I duck taped both ends of a bungee cord forming a two prong grappling hook to the top of a Alumium boat hook. Then I taped the boat hook on the second halyard line. I secured an additional long line so I had plenty of line to work with. The boat hook worked to counterbalance the bungee hooks and enabled a clearer, more percise shot of grabbing that floating fitting. Once readied I hauled up the bungee hook- boat hook. I walked the working line to the next dock over which reduced glair and neck strain. Once the bungee grapple was in position, I managed to snag the lost halyard fitting. I then walked back to the boat and dropped the second line under the weight of pole and line - bringing down the lost main halyard. Took all of 20 mins.

Come to think of it... No beer was provided.

Jebus. No beer. BAD Juju.

#67 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,110 posts
  • Interests:My ride: An OCD designed Class 40

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:07 PM

Raccoon's Bowmen are very intelligent creatures and may be a viable option, however the majority lack basic social skills. Expect one to drink all your beer, hit on your wife and shit in your cockpit only to pass out in the head before retrieving the halyard.

Best of luck.

Fixed it for you.

They have a bad habit of going rabid on you. Both the racoons and the bowmen.

#68 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,110 posts
  • Interests:My ride: An OCD designed Class 40

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:11 PM

[deleted] the usual [/end deleted]

never under any circumstance respond to TTT
if possible add him to your ignore list
if responding don't leave the quote in place so that people who have him on ignore don't have to read it.

All good points. TTT is like the squirrel. Only less useful.

#69 Kraftwerk

Kraftwerk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Interests:Frostbite Racing, Abstract Painting, Oil Changes, Robert Louis Stevenson

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:05 AM

A guest-bowman, i will call him, let my spin-halyard go all the way up. Luckily it was 'only' 20' above my head. I made a really really really long pole out of many slightly decreasing diameters of aluminum tubing taped it all together with a 'hook' at top, bent coat hanger, grapple thingy.
Took 15 min of 'sky fishing' to grab the sucker but I snagged the end and brought her down to the deck. Bowman had to buy his own beer.

#70 NoStrings

NoStrings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,870 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:29 AM

Bow and arrow: he's disabled archery requires a lot of physical control, also missing can have tragic consequences.
Lasso: again requires very high level of skill, plus 50' is a long way to throw vertically with accuracy.
50' retrieval pole: potential but becomes difficult to control, also storage? Would need to be telescopic, adding complexity and weight. Getting closer, has potential
Trained Squirrel? Squirrels are notoriously unreliable and in general dicks. Good luck trying to get them to do anything for you without payment up front, then chances are they just bugger off before you can catch them again. Stay away from these pricks.
Mini copter: Looks like the best choice. Low physical expenditure, only hang up is a grabbing mechanism. Someone with more engineering expertise can probably figure that out pretty easily. This one has the most potential, what else you got?

Squirrels will only run half way up the mast, then they'll stop take one step forward, the dash back down...only to get smashed by a swinging boom.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users