professional racing team racing documentary video

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 rebezim

rebezim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:podcasts. traveling. chill music. wine. dogs. friends.

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:25 PM

I saw this professional sailboat racing documentary on basic cable 2/18/12 because I was sick in bed & I did not want to watch Whitney Houston's Memorial. It was so cool and I don't even sail, much. It was about the different pro teams and how they had changed over the years. It did not focus on the America's Cup. I don't think they ever even mentioned it. But how Captain's had used different routes to speed up their wins. I don't know how to even describe it, other than a no-nothing found it so engaging. I want to find it. It followed a few Captains for 20 years. It was a modern video with old footage and new. Big sponsors that were not American. I have to find this documentary. I can't remember if it was on National Geo or Espn1, 2, 3, Classic or what. I was sick & not thinking that it would be so difficult. I know there is a Sailing Anarchist out there who knows it all........

Thank you,
Rebekah

#2 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,827 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:22 PM

Give us a little more to go on, was it an around-the-world race, trans-Atlantic, what? Crewed or solo? Mono or multihulls?

There is a history of the Whitbread Race (now called the Volvo Ocean Race) out there somewhere... but it was produced some time ago.

#3 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:39 PM

All (?) Whitbread official movies: http://www.youtube.c...a/videos?view=0

#4 rebezim

rebezim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:12 PM

It looked like it had been produced in the last 5 years because it followed crews of men back to the early 90's. It was a single hulled boat the ones they use in those big fancy races with like a crew of 6-8, I'd like to say. They were sponsored by non-American businesses. They did mention Cape Horn a lot and nothing about American stuff really. I just got to talking to an avid sailor and I was discussing how engaging this documentary was and then I realized I had not followed up to get the name of it. Thanks for letting me know of the name change to Volvo. A lot of info is out there about the Volvo. I don't remember a specific race. But it wasn't around the world and it followed teams & Captains throughout the years and how they had changed or went with other sponsors & crews. I did not know how exciting all this is.

I live in Vegas, ha!
Thank you, thank you. I will check out the links.

Rebekah Z.

#5 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,827 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:20 PM

I did not know how exciting all this is.

Yes, it is quite a bit better than Whitney Houston, alive or dead.

Be sure to dig in and learn about the Vendee Globe solo around the world ocean race, it is run every four years only so your timing is perfect. The 2012 edition starts on November 10. There will be plenty of coverage at Sailing Anarchy, which is a good place to check in, as much of the other coverage is in French only.

The VG is the BEST event in all of sailing.

#6 rebezim

rebezim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:21 PM

OMG! I do believe it is the Volvo Ocean Legends!! thank you so much, I can't believe it was so easy. I think the Volvo thing through me for a loop. And it is an around the world race. Wow, you guys have really brought me into a new world. And now i can share this with my new sailor friend and he has probably seen it! ha! Thank you!

#7 rebezim

rebezim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:22 PM

I'm putting it in my calendar now! thank you!

#8 rebezim

rebezim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:35 PM

That is what I am talking about but there is a full length version that's at least 45 mins to an hour long. Where do I find that?

#9 rebezim

rebezim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:46 PM

I found it, thanks guys!

#10 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,827 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:49 PM

edit: looks like you found it while I was typing

Check here for a description of films: http://www.imgprogra...mes/item477668/

Additional programming

History of the Volvo Ocean Race (1 x 52min)
From the first race in 1973, the Volvo Ocean Race has delivered the most exciting racing and most compelling human stories of adventure for
nearly 40 years. From record-setting to daring rescues, the Volvo Ocean Race has won the reputation as the world’s toughest yachting challenge.
Featuring un-precedented onboard footage from the yachts themselves in the most punishing of conditions to contributions from some of the
race’s greatest competitors like Sir Robin Knox Johnston, Grant Dalton and Paul Cayard, The Volvo Ocean Race – The Documentary is the definitive
story of this epic race.

Here is the 52 min "History of the VOR" I think

Well now I have to go and watch it again tonight.

#11 Liquid

Liquid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:08 PM

The full length content is probably still controlled by a network.

Plenty of killer footage out there like just another day in the Atlantic office in the (08-09 edition) http://www.youtube.c...h?v=JHI1fe6rOVI

Have to some Southern Ocean satalite office footage too: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=jh6dUAoj3sg

Volvo's youtube channel: http://www.youtube.c...oceanracevideos

#12 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:08 PM

I found it, thanks guys!

Check out the Volvo Ocean Race channel on YouTube. Hours and hours of fun

Also, check out www.atlanticcup.com for good video closer to home

#13 DRIFTW00D

DRIFTW00D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:19 AM

Dont miss the french boats BP5 & l'Hydroptère

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=MdUyLxVa6xQ

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: professional racing, team racing, documentary, video

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users