#1 Mung Breath

Mung Breath

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  • Interests:Balance in Life

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:44 AM

My carbon mast has very little room aft, probably not enough, on either side of the Harken track and Antal cars to mount a dedicated storm sail track. Furthermore, the main can only be removed by removing four machine screws in a 12" section of the track which is flat out impossible in a blow. That section of track is located just above the headboard, which is still 7' above deck.

I need storm sails. I see many offshore race boats without dedicated tracks. How do they do this?

#2 Mr. Fixit's brother,, Mr. Fixit

Mr. Fixit's brother,, Mr. Fixit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:17 PM

Will the Harken Trysail Switch System not work on your mast?

#3 Mung Breath

Mung Breath

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:20 PM

Will the Harken Trysail Switch System not work on your mast?

It might. Until now, I didn't realize that its trysail track is designed to bend around to the side of the mast:

SHARES TRACK WITH SWITCH T-TRACK BATTCAR SYSTEM
Pewaukee, WI—Harken's new Trysail switch system integrates with its innovative Switch T-Track Battcar System by sharing a single mast track to reduce weight aloft. Dedicated trysail cars enter the system from the loading track mounted to the side of the mast. The cars bypass the mainsail switch and enter the mainsail T-Track via the trysail switch mounted above the gate track.

“These new cars and switch take advantage of the innovative Switch T-Track Battcar design to reduce weight aloft by eliminating separate trysail track,” said lead engineer Steve Orlebeke. “It utilizes the switch function to allow the trysail to go from an extra track next to the mainsail track near the boom and onto the single mast track above the mainsail.”

Both trysail and mainsail systems are available in 26, 32, and 50 mm sizes. Cars are deep-saturation Hardkote-anodized with PTFE impregnation for durability and low friction. Track is also Hardkote-anodized. The switch plate has no moving parts.

#4 ctutmark

ctutmark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Interests:Herding cats

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:07 PM

If you've got Antal Cars, it is likely you have Antal track, not Harken

My carbon mast has very little room aft, probably not enough, on either side of the Harken track and Antal cars to mount a dedicated storm sail track. Furthermore, the main can only be removed by removing four machine screws in a 12" section of the track which is flat out impossible in a blow. That section of track is located just above the headboard, which is still 7' above deck.

I need storm sails. I see many offshore race boats without dedicated tracks. How do they do this?

#5 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:55 PM

Does harken make anything like the antal gate for loading cars partway up a mainsail track? That would be the thing to use. Drop the main totally and then feed the trysail cars on above it...

Edit: if he has antal track then find one of these gates for the boat. They don't take up any extra space on the mast.

#6 SailRacer

SailRacer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:12 PM

If I recall correctly, you need a seperate track to satisfy the ORR regs.

Sail Safe!

#7 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:26 PM

If I recall correctly, you need a seperate track to satisfy the ORR regs.

Sail Safe!

ORC Regs 4.26.4j
"

j) A trysail track should allow for the trysail to be hoisted quickly when the mainsail is lowered whether or not the mainsail is stowed on the main boom.

"
No mention of separate track, just the ability to do it quickly and with the mainsail down totally.

#8 SailRacer

SailRacer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:38 PM

I would rather not put any more holes in the rig.

#9 Mung Breath

Mung Breath

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:28 PM

I would rather not put any more holes in the rig.

Ditto. Nor do I have much room on the aft side. As an aside, in looking at the Harken system, I like the gating option that lowers the height of the stacked main. As is, I can't installl my main halyard or sail cover without climbing up the mast. I do have Antal cars so will check into their comparable options

I'm quite certain that many boats race the occassional Cat-1 without a dedicated track. For light use, one option is to remove the headboard, attach the trysail to its car and add a few spare cars below it.

#10 P2 Marine

P2 Marine

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:27 PM

Hi Mung,

No pretty way to do this job for sure, but if I had to do it myself I'd think about using G10 tube. I'd pick a size able to handle 1/2" slug after the tube was cut in half. Cut the tube in half and lay it up on a thin section of G10 slightly wider than the tube and fillet the tube to the strip. Then carve out a groove for the slugs and stick it to the mast with Plexus. Obviously you want to run this down to the deck so the Storm Try can sit there ready to go, so forming the piece to make the required bends could be a head scratcher, but not rocket science...With a little putty and paint it might even look OK...

I'll build you one if you want. How much money you got?

Cheers,
Rob

#11 CrushDigital

CrushDigital

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:57 PM

I don't know know if this has been mentioned byt one easy way is to just leave the cars on the mast between the headboard car and the first car on the mainsail. Sure they get hosted up so you are probably adding an extra few ounces at the top of the rig, but it makes getting a storm tri on very easy. You drop the main, pop the headboard off its car and put the tri on the spare cars. You don't even have to use the headboard car, just make sure the top car for the tri is attached to it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users