#1 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,680 posts
  • Interests:Hallberg-Rassy 53 "Evenstar"

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:50 AM

With us in transit and living on board and Sandy en route to screw with us...it seems a good to to get some thoughts on my planned strategy. My first choice would be to hang on a big-ass mooring with a multiple lines and chafe gear all over everything. Last choice...tied to a dock, especially a floater. There seem to be a dearth of any sort of moorings around here.

We're in the Southern Chesapeake, now anchored in Deltaville, not in the tight harbor but in Fishing Cove, where the X is. We're planning to move up the river to roughly where the arrow is pointing. We like that spot because it's deep enough so we won't get pile-drivered into the mud if it gets bouncy, and there are bluffs to the West and somewhat to the North that will give even better protection than the regular land. We'll be anchoring in ~18 feet of water give or take.

It goes without saying that we will strip all the windage we can, we dropped the genoa already tonight since the wind was light. I've some concern about the dinghy fleet.

Attached File  anchor.jpg   340.02K   120 downloads

Ground Tackle on Board:
300' of 7/16th proof coil anchor rode
Backup rode - 350' of 1" Megabraid with about 20' or so of chain on it.
Two more lengths of 1" Megabraid, about 100' & 150' with metal eyes
100# Manson Supreme
150# Luke Storm Anchor
105# CQR
Two snubbing lines - I think 7/8" dock lines with chain hooks on the end, light chafe gear.
About 6' of fire hose

One article I read suggested that while "throwing out every anchor" had it's merits, it could quickly become an unholy bugger-up if you swung too much. You wrap up a couple of rodes and you might drag and turn into that boat that took out the whole anchorage.

So rather put out two rodes or a star of anchors around the boat put out your primary all chain rode with two anchors on it. You put the biggest gnarliest anchor on the bitter end, and the second largest anchor some 15-20 feet up the chain. Then you really cut your chances of dragging more without the risk of tangling your rodes or those around you.

I'm leaning towards putting the massive Luke on the end of the chain, with the Manson about 20' up from it. Leave the CQR in the anchor locker, or at leased rigged up to the spare rode as a last minute stopper. Put the snubber lines on the chain rode and chafe gear the crap out of them; rubber braided hoses and the fire hose. Stick out about 150-175' of chain. I've some concern about the hooks on the snubber lines staying put though since they rely on the tension in the chain. Not that there won't be that, but all you need is a few seconds of slack in the wrong way, no? Some idea to lock those in place would be good - maybe seizing wire, but I couldn't get them off quickly then which would be awkward if I needed to use the Windlass.

Also the dinghy fleet. Currently we have the Portland Pudgy strapped on the deck in front of the mast. The RIB is in davits with the engine. I'm thinking I might want to pull the engine off and mount it on it's rail bracket, put the RIB on the foredeck lashed down and put the Pudgy in the davits. I could probably also tie one of the dinks down to the deck under the mast and leave the davits empty.

Thoughts?

#2 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,784 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:03 AM

I put a fender under my mooring line on the foredeck as an extra shock absorber. I would think twice about the dinghy in the davits. We are going to get a LOT of rain and it will make that dinghy weigh 5 times as much :o
It might be better off trailing astern. My dinghy had no issues during Irene doing that.

Your ground tackle seems up to the task. I rode out hurricane Charlie on a 20 pound Danforth on 200 feet of 1/2" nylon in 10 feet of water. It acted like a giant rubber band B)
The next day the anchor was about 10 feet UNDER the bottom and almost impossible to dislodge.

#3 DRIFTW00D

DRIFTW00D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,166 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:07 AM

RUN dont look back! Get south take the swamp canal. Get SOUTH!

#4 Kent H

Kent H

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,709 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:23 AM

http://www.yachtsurv...preparation.htm

#5 Rasputin22

Rasputin22

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:23 AM

With us in transit and living on board and Sandy en route to screw with us...it seems a good to to get some thoughts on my planned strategy. My first choice would be to hang on a big-ass mooring with a multiple lines and chafe gear all over everything. Last choice...tied to a dock, especially a floater. There seem to be a dearth of any sort of moorings around here.

We're in the Southern Chesapeake, now anchored in Deltaville, not in the tight harbor but in Fishing Cove, where the X is. We're planning to move up the river to roughly where the arrow is pointing. We like that spot because it's deep enough so we won't get pile-drivered into the mud if it gets bouncy, and there are bluffs to the West and somewhat to the North that will give even better protection than the regular land. We'll be anchoring in ~18 feet of water give or take.

It goes without saying that we will strip all the windage we can, we dropped the genoa already tonight since the wind was light. I've some concern about the dinghy fleet.

Attached File  anchor.jpg   340.02K   120 downloads

Ground Tackle on Board:
300' of 7/16th proof coil anchor rode
Backup rode - 350' of 1" Megabraid with about 20' or so of chain on it.
Two more lengths of 1" Megabraid, about 100' & 150' with metal eyes
100# Manson Supreme
150# Luke Storm Anchor
105# CQR
Two snubbing lines - I think 7/8" dock lines with chain hooks on the end, light chafe gear.
About 6' of fire hose

One article I read suggested that while "throwing out every anchor" had it's merits, it could quickly become an unholy bugger-up if you swung too much. You wrap up a couple of rodes and you might drag and turn into that boat that took out the whole anchorage.

So rather put out two rodes or a star of anchors around the boat put out your primary all chain rode with two anchors on it. You put the biggest gnarliest anchor on the bitter end, and the second largest anchor some 15-20 feet up the chain. Then you really cut your chances of dragging more without the risk of tangling your rodes or those around you.

I'm leaning towards putting the massive Luke on the end of the chain, with the Manson about 20' up from it. Leave the CQR in the anchor locker, or at leased rigged up to the spare rode as a last minute stopper. Put the snubber lines on the chain rode and chafe gear the crap out of them; rubber braided hoses and the fire hose. Stick out about 150-175' of chain. I've some concern about the hooks on the snubber lines staying put though since they rely on the tension in the chain. Not that there won't be that, but all you need is a few seconds of slack in the wrong way, no? Some idea to lock those in place would be good - maybe seizing wire, but I couldn't get them off quickly then which would be awkward if I needed to use the Windlass.

Also the dinghy fleet. Currently we have the Portland Pudgy strapped on the deck in front of the mast. The RIB is in davits with the engine. I'm thinking I might want to pull the engine off and mount it on it's rail bracket, put the RIB on the foredeck lashed down and put the Pudgy in the davits. I could probably also tie one of the dinks down to the deck under the mast and leave the davits empty.

Thoughts?

With what you've got for tackle and poundage on the bottom you should be just fine. Just try and dive each hook after it is set to be sure and take all precautions against chafe. Redundancy it the key in situations like this. Best of luck, I'm thinking you will come out fine as long as your neighboring boats don't cancel that out.

#6 Paps

Paps

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,971 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:28 AM

Sounds like your well prepared BJ.

Definitely remove the OB.

I agree with Kent re nothing on the davits, its probably handy to have the small dink in the water just in case you need it anyway.

The snubbers should be fine, the weight of the chain alone should hold them in place. If you have reason to doubt them maybe slide some split hose over them.

Good luck.

#7 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:32 AM

BJ I was just reading your anchor set up. When did you sell you boat and get an Aircraft Carrier?

I'd get the dink of the david's and like you are doing, everything that fits in the boat below deck, sails etc.

Spare anchor in the locker? Would it be better on the bow roller ready to go or will it be in the anchor locker up front anyway?

#8 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:57 AM

Given that the models are all over the track, it looks like you've chosen a good location. I'd put the pudgy in the water and the rib on deck well secured. I like the idea of two anchors in trail rather than two rodes. Snubber hooks seem to stay in place pretty well without seizing.

God will get me for this, but it's looking like a heavy rain (7" or so Sunday night through Wednesday) and strong winds with 50-60 knots. Your groud tackle is up to that pretty easily and the spot you have chosen has little fetch in any direction. Sunday afternoon/evening will be the key when it turns left and we'll get a better idea of where it will come ashore. From the "best guess" tight now, you are about 100 nm from where the eye is forecast to make landfall and that is your CPA.

#9 stranded

stranded

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Interests:cruising, racing, inshore and offshore

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:05 AM

you will learn the need for ALL chain in coral areas.

You can reverse the snubber and use a shackle if the chain hook is doubtful

The plough with all chain in minimum depth / soft mud is my preferred option one. Also chain does not have the same chafe issues

Sitting part of the keel in soft mud can also be an option

if there is no rubbish on the bottom of your anchorage

where you are now, what is wrong with one of the ( deeper ) creeks ?

I would suggest setting up so your boat can be shifted ( maintain mobility ) should moving be necessary.

I would prefer to have the rib in the davits with the drain plug pulled out., and the other one on deck ( mobility )

wind can make dinghies a problem, especially if you lie at an angle to the wind due to current...

flip, swamp, wrap around the bow / anchor gear,

become a distraction to your main game.

This is what dinghies do.

you have higher than normal ( spring / full moon ) tides, and the likelihood of increased depth due to wind / storm surge.

This will increase effective fetch.

100 miles is too close, need 250 or more, but you are where you are. Try to find a secluded hole ( Creek ? )

I think you have radar, but get a an eyeball " feel " situational awareness in U.S. speak,

for your location before and just after dark, in case you have to make a move

#10 Paps

Paps

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,971 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:11 AM

Be alarmed not afraid BJ,(sorry, sarcastic quoting from our previous PM) better to go through this in home waters the first time, with luck the only time. Either way you will know the drill better the next time and feel more comfortable. Or less tense, not feeling like a first time father before the birth. Rum Toddies works for me.

#11 Paps

Paps

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,971 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:14 AM

Stranded, tortuous language but wise words.

#12 MoeAlfa

MoeAlfa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,322 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:06 AM

The location looks good to my naive eye and the track prediction means the water level is going down, not up, so the depth seems right. Send updates. We'll all be thinking of you-all--and that frosty martini glass when our power has been out for 98 hrs.

#13 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,228 posts
  • Interests:~~/)/)~~

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:16 AM

If you deflate the RIB, can you stack the two dinks upside down somehow and lash the pile down?

The other thought is to have the engine running to take some load off the anchor line. Had to do this once in the Bahamas with 6 other vessels in a tight anchorage with everyone on one hook and 35 knot winds and a lee shore. Worked out !!.

If that situation starts to go horribly wrong but powering out is still an option, you want a way to abandon whatever anchors you have deployed if you can't retrieve them. A way to find them again would be good, but really not a major concern in the kind of situation I'm thinking of.

#14 FMcCool

FMcCool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:45 AM

Based on what I am seeing in terms of possible wind direction and storm surge, I'd seek shelter much further upstream if possible. I would also get out and about and speak with some locals and see if there is a hurricane hole or other known refuge and if not - are my current plans suitable.

No dingy on davits - deflate the RIB.

my two cents...

Good Luck!

#15 Jon Eisberg

Jon Eisberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:54 AM

RUN dont look back! Get south take the swamp canal. Get SOUTH!

I'd consider that as well, but it's not an option for BJ, due to his mast height, and his draft would be problematic beyond the Deep Creek Lock, as well... The 65' bridge at I-64 actually is capable of opening, but requires 24 hour notice, and I would guess that might not be do-able during a hurricane watch, and with that highway being the major evacuation route in that area... In any event, he'd have to come back out of the canal, anyway...

The Dismal would be a good place to be, but you would have had to stake out your spot in there early on, I imagine it's already becoming a bit of a zoo in there now... Rafting up with other boats would certainly not be my preferred strategy for riding out this sort of weather...

The Dismal Swamp route certainly is protected, no amount of tidal surge can touch you in there... I rode out a major storm in there in 2007, the early spring storm in which the Little Harbor FLYING COLORS and a couple of other boats were lost offshore, and I was very snug in there... But I had the spot I'd chosen pretty much to myself, it would be a whole different ballgame during the height of the southbound migration in the fall...

Posted Image

#16 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,680 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:02 PM

BJ I was just reading your anchor set up. When did you sell you boat and get an Aircraft Carrier?

I'd get the dink of the david's and like you are doing, everything that fits in the boat below deck, sails etc.

Spare anchor in the locker? Would it be better on the bow roller ready to go or will it be in the anchor locker up front anyway?

Its in the locker already. My only concern on having it in a roller is that it will chafe the snubbers.

#17 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,680 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:04 PM

Based on what I am seeing in terms of possible wind direction and storm surge, I'd seek shelter much further upstream if possible. I would also get out and about and speak with some locals and see if there is a hurricane hole or other known refuge and if not - are my current plans suitable.

my two cents...

Good Luck!

I can't go further upstream than that bridge, but anchorign there opens me up to more fetch from the NE.

#18 blackbird

blackbird

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:19 PM

Sounds like a good plan to me, BJ. I like having two anchors on one rode. The only thing I might take issue with is your reasoning for not putting out a second anchor; the object is to survive the storm intact. Untangling anchor rodes afterward is merely irritating. Looking at you boat on the beach is devastating. I'd be inclined to put both out on a fairly shallow angle off the bow and adjust them so they both are straining equally when the breeze is on.
It looks like you will see N'ly breeze during the height of the storm so your spot looks good.
Good luck, mate!

#19 MoeAlfa

MoeAlfa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,322 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:24 PM

my two cents...

Good Luck!

I can't go further upstream than that bridge, but anchorign there opens me up to more fetch from the NE.

Looking at the chart, I think the spot youve chosen is pretty good; nice and steep to the North with apparent deep water right up to the bluff.

#20 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,784 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:52 PM

Looking like the wind will be N-NE-NW for you. That will be good. Just do NOT have the RIB in the davits unless it is inverted. The amount of rain these things drop has to be seen to be believed and way more than a little drain plug will keep up with. I left my plug IN for Irene so the extra water ballast weight kept the dinghy from trying to take off and fly. Had a big bailing job to do late though......

#21 Mung Breath

Mung Breath

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Interests:Balance in Life

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:54 PM

Good luck, BJ. I can't add anything extra of value here except encouragement. Paps has it right....you'll get through this and be more confident for the next time. Best to you and the famiy!

#22 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,680 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:27 PM

Sounds like a good plan to me, BJ. I like having two anchors on one rode. The only thing I might take issue with is your reasoning for not putting out a second anchor; the object is to survive the storm intact. Untangling anchor rodes afterward is merely irritating. Looking at you boat on the beach is devastating. I'd be inclined to put both out on a fairly shallow angle off the bow and adjust them so they both are straining equally when the breeze is on.
It looks like you will see N'ly breeze during the height of the storm so your spot looks good.
Good luck, mate!

I'm less worried about untangling AFTER as I am about tangling others (and having others catch me) DURING the event.

#23 Estar

Estar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,111 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:36 PM

Honestly, BJ, I would just drop the Manson.

It's a terrific anchor with vast holding power in the sort of bottom you will be in, and it will have all day Sunday to set and soak deep down into the bottom. Put out 10:1 scope and a 20' snubber and you will be very excellent.

Tandom anchors (two on one rode) is excellent, and if you simply want to practice, go right ahead, but I really don't think you need it. What I would do, is if you have a fortress or danfort, I would get it (and a rode) out on deck - just in case, but not drop it now. Unfortunately the luke and cqr are really too clumsy to want to do that with.

As to the anchorage - looks fine. As I noted in the weather thread, there is a possibility of some SW in the winds if the hit point is further North. Looking at that chart, I think I personally would go to the "12" depth just south of Berkley island. But any of these is going to be decently protected.

You have already taken off the furling sail, thats the biggy both in turms of work and in terms of stabilizing the boat (much less sailing at anchor). Put lots of sail ties around the mainsail cover. I would tie the dinghy right close into the stern. Its going to end up full of rain water.

The possible gusts to 45kts will feel strong, but to keep it in perspective, you are really 'only' going to get a gale, not even storm force winds.

One of the tricks of the cruising life is to look at situations and see them clearly and honestly - without groupthink or fear or hype.

#24 Cruisin Loser

Cruisin Loser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,544 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, rock climbing, skiing, steatopygia, stuff

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:46 PM

Watch carefully for chafe on the snubber. Without it, the chain won't absorb shock very well. I think you'll be fine, but still best thoughts to you.

#25 Capt. Neptune

Capt. Neptune

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:09 PM

You are sitting right near one of the best hurricane holes on the east coast. Just to your west is Wilton Creek. 8 to 10 feet deep in the channel, high bluffs on both sides of the creek to block wind, and no fetch to the north and west, which is where the winds are predicted to come from. It usually fills quite quickly with local boats, but if possible I would have a look. I live in Deltaville and this is definitely the creek I would head to if my boat wasn't on the hard.

#26 Estar

Estar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,111 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:19 PM

You are sitting right near one of the best hurricane holes on the east coast. Just to your west is Wilton Creek. 8 to 10 feet deep in the channel, high bluffs on both sides of the creek to block wind, and no fetch to the north and west, which is where the winds are predicted to come from. It usually fills quite quickly with local boats, but if possible I would have a look. I live in Deltaville and this is definitely the creek I would head to if my boat wasn't on the hard.

Looks very snug ,but he has 8' draft. Be interesting to know more about how much the water level will be going up or down.

I notice my suggestion (above) near berkley bridge is blocked by a bridge.

#27 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,649 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:11 PM

Note that rubber hose is one of the worst chafe guards for line because it doesn't allow the heat to escape, and the rode melts instead of chafing through. I like leather myself. If you're going to use rubber hose, sluice it down with water frequently to cool it off.

#28 steele

steele

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:31 PM

What he said, I have no experience with storm anchoring, but have seen amazing pics of melted rope inside plastic/rubber hose after storms in Florida.

#29 stranded

stranded

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Interests:cruising, racing, inshore and offshore

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:18 PM

as the centre passes there will be a wind change of around 180 degrees

If swinging on a pick, this needs to be factored in

+100 for a creek refuge, depending on how much fresh will want to escape during and after the rain

#30 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,680 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:48 PM

Note that rubber hose is one of the worst chafe guards for line because it doesn't allow the heat to escape, and the rode melts instead of chafing through. I like leather myself. If you're going to use rubber hose, sluice it down with water frequently to cool it off.

Primary snubber chafe is fire hose, secondary snubber chafe is 1" ID reinforced hose. Aren't we supposed to be spending the next 72 hours getting sluiced down with water??

Our snubbers aren't 20' long - the line is about that long but it's more like 6-8' off bow by the time it's all tied down.

Anchors are already set. The 150# luke was much less of a pain in the rear than we expected. Powered primaries and a long spinnaker halyard are your friends. 200' of chain out in 20' of water.

#31 Estar

Estar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,111 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:08 PM

Primary snubber chafe is fire hose, secondary snubber chafe is 1" ID reinforced hose. Aren't we supposed to be spending the next 72 hours getting sluiced down with water??

Our snubbers aren't 20' long - the line is about that long but it's more like 6-8' off bow by the time it's all tied down.

Anchors are already set. The 150# luke was much less of a pain in the rear than we expected. Powered primaries and a long spinnaker halyard are your friends. 200' of chain out in 20' of water.

Good luck. I hope you have some good movies and books.

I think you will get a chance to see if you have any deck leaks. :)

Our normal snubber is short (just hits the water surface), but we put out a 20' one for 'special conditions', just to have more elasticity.

#32 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,784 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:38 PM

Just to cheer you up, this will be something like hurricane number 6 for my boat.
It won't be any more wind than a Chessie thunderstorm can whip up, just longer lasting.
You'll do fine.

#33 curm

curm

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:47 PM

Will there be other boats anchored nearby? If yes, that would be my primary worry. Some of them may not have ground tackle nearly as good as yours.

#34 MoeAlfa

MoeAlfa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,322 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:53 PM

We're tied E-W and will take the brunt broadside, which really sucks. We doubled up lines and we're tied to a floating dock except for the bow and forward spring on the North side and I think we can take 50 for a while. Ultimately, I guess this is what insurance is for. Incidentally, I think we were the only ones in our marina to remove our sails and some boats have canvas up!

#35 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,570 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:01 PM

BJ..sorry i missed you at IB's house.

I know this area well on the chart you posted and was there about 6 weeks ago. Go north into Jackson Creek.

The channel is narrow and squirrely but well marked..once you are inside it is well protected. The big boat piers for Fishing Bay Yacht Club are in Jackson Creek...you'll be surprised how open the Piankatank River is if you choose that route...and yes..that bridge is short.. My office mate lives on the other side of the bridge...42'.

#36 Peenstone

Peenstone

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Biking, and safe, reliable, commercial nuclear power.

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:41 AM

Jackson Creek is a good call, if you can motor through the channel. Holding power in Fishing Bay (behind the FBYC, where you were previously anchored) is poor.

#37 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Interests:The sea, women, history, women who like the sea. Racing, crewing, travel, reading, learning.

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:55 AM

Now that BJ is anchored and snug in his spider hole, I'll append my thoughts here, as the title is appropriate to the circumstances:

*sigh* I've been living aboard since August, so like BJ, I have a little bit invested in the weather these days.

Anarchist Clove Hitch is also here. We have a good community here, and help each other out. All sails are off and stowed. It was good to see many owners here, stripping canvas and doubling dock lines, and actually caring for their boats.

I have additional, extra-long dock lines to help deal with whatever surge we get. The cove we're in, is very sheltered. If this is like Irene, we're going to be just fine. I have a ton of supplies, and I've had a dozen offers of shelter if things go pear-shaped.

#38 Slick470

Slick470

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:08 AM

Was out today doing what I could to prep our boat. Hopefully it was enough. Should be ok at the house although I have one tree I'm worried about that is scheduled to be taken down, but they haven't gotten to us yet. Everything is gassed up. Bought extra of the necessities... and now we wait and see.

Everyone who is in the path (whatever that ends up being) take care and be safe.

#39 WHL

WHL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,671 posts
  • Interests:Offshore, Star, Farr 30, R Boat racing, and gunkholing in classic daysailers

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:59 AM

Will there be other boats anchored nearby? If yes, that would be my primary worry. Some of them may not have ground tackle nearly as good as yours.

You can say that again. BJ you must have had almost 200,000lbs hanging off your ground tackle in upto 20knots last summer when 6 boats rafted alongside. That was a lot of windage, short chop and weight and we didn't budge an inch !! With just you hanging off it, + an additional in-line anchor, you should be fine in the forecast winds with this blow.

#40 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,680 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:59 AM

Now that BJ is anchored and snug in his spider hole, I'll append my thoughts here, as the title is appropriate to the circumstances:

*sigh* I've been living aboard since August, so like BJ, I have a little bit invested in the weather these days.

Anarchist Clove Hitch is also here. We have a good community here, and help each other out. All sails are off and stowed. It was good to see many owners here, stripping canvas and doubling dock lines, and actually caring for their boats.

I have additional, extra-long dock lines to help deal with whatever surge we get. The cove we're in, is very sheltered. If this is like Irene, we're going to be just fine. I have a ton of supplies, and I've had a dozen offers of shelter if things go pear-shaped.

You're pretty deep and protected back there, hard to imagine the wind will be too brutal compared to the surge.

I've got friends also riding it out in their Baba 40 over on that marina you pass on the way in to get back to where you are, forget the name. They were on an outside pier but got moved to a slip.

Having never kept a boat in a slip I am hard pressed to imagine that I would enjoy the experience of a storm in one. I'm thinking fondly back on those moorings in NE harbor with the 6 tons of granite blocks under them.

#41 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,680 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:03 AM

You can say that again. BJ you must have had almost 200,000lbs hanging off your ground tackle in upto 20knots last summer when 6 boats rafted alongside. That was a lot of windage, short chop and weight and we didn't budge an inch !! With just you hanging off it, + an additional in-line anchor, you should be fine in the forecast winds with this blow.

There's two other boats here - one tiny thing anchored way up near shore and another 50-ish foot bluewater cruiser from Kiwiland. He seems a pretty sharp guy and has a serious anchor setup - two rodes in a V, one of them 200' of heavy chain.

The only scary thing here is this barge/dredge looking thing that seems to be on a mooring. There is no direction this storm is supposed to blow that puts him dead upwind of me except due South; though if I drag into him it won't be fun.

The only bummer right now is I tied off the wind generator so I will be missing all this great charging until the serious snot comes in. Of course right now it's not even blowing 20 here.

#42 4knotSB

4knotSB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:31 AM

I'm due to pull out tomorrow morning, so if that actually happens y'all can thank me for single handedly having sent Sandy to Greenland leaving the rest of you with two more months of great sailing this season. <g>

#43 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,784 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:53 AM

Being in a slip blows in a hurricane.
When Isabel was at her worst the wind was from my port quarter and it was hitting so hard the plexi companionway slides were BOWING IN AT ME :o

Being pinned in a slip with wind from astern was so un-fun that I delayed my return from the club up the river and am on my mooring up there. I'll be back to the marina when the storm is passed.

Having never kept a boat in a slip I am hard pressed to imagine that I would enjoy the experience of a storm in one. I'm thinking fondly back on those moorings in NE harbor with the 6 tons of granite blocks under them.

#44 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,228 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:53 AM

*sigh* I've been living aboard since August...

Did I miss something?

#45 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,680 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:22 PM

Being in a slip blows in a hurricane.
When Isabel was at her worst the wind was from my port quarter and it was hitting so hard the plexi companionway slides were BOWING IN AT ME :o

Being pinned in a slip with wind from astern was so un-fun that I delayed my return from the club up the river and am on my mooring up there. I'll be back to the marina when the storm is passed.

We spent one or two days of nasty but short conditions at a dock this summer while we were fitting out to leave. Hated it, conditions that wouldn't have bothered us at anchor or on a mooring had shit flying everywhere. Worst part - hard dodger not facing into the wind so we had to close the hatches and go below when the rain started blowing into the cockpit.

I'm not used to rain in the cockpit...

#46 MoeAlfa

MoeAlfa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,322 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:33 PM

*sigh* I've been living aboard since August...

Did I miss something?

Whoa! Just caught that, too. Hope all is well.

#47 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Interests:The sea, women, history, women who like the sea. Racing, crewing, travel, reading, learning.

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:38 PM

I'm fine, and I will continue to be fine. It'll just require more effort than usual.

#48 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,105 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:52 PM

You've made the transition well, sounds like your enjoying it. You've come a long ways in a short time.

#49 MoeAlfa

MoeAlfa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,322 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:08 PM

I'm fine, and I will continue to be fine. It'll just require more effort than usual.

Just remember you have friends who have called on you for favors in the past.

#50 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,228 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:27 PM

Just remember you have friends who have called on you for favors in the past.

... and well-wishers who don't really know you at all. ;)

#51 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,784 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:08 PM

My spot:

#52 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,784 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:11 PM

My spot:
Everything from the north is sheltered behind Ship Point.
Not a ton of fetch in any direction. If all we get is 40-60 this won't be as bad as the worst of the summer storms were.

Ajax - PM me your marina address and I might be able to come by and hoist a brew or something ;)

Attached Files

#53 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:06 PM

Developing about how you would expect in the mid Chesapeake. W NE moving to NNE at 25-30. Tide running about 1 foot above astronomical. Starting to see showers. If the guessers are right and it hits in NJ, we should see 40-50 with gusts higher. Lots of leaves gone so some hope for the trees.

Boats and yard stuff put away. Generator serviced. Cars full of gas. Bar stocked.

Guess we are ready here.

#54 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,680 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:11 PM

Developing about how you would expect in the mid Chesapeake. W NE moving to NNE at 25-30. Tide running about 1 foot above astronomical. Starting to see showers. If the guessers are right and it hits in NJ, we should see 40-50 with gusts higher. Lots of leaves gone so some hope for the trees.

Boats and yard stuff put away. Generator serviced. Cars full of gas. Bar stocked.

Guess we are ready here.

It's been raining here since last night. Saw some gusts to 30 over night, right now < 10.

#55 rattus32

rattus32

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:02 PM

Guess we are ready here.

Just talked to my Dad in NH... pretty much the same list.

"Bar Stocked". Priorities are straight out there. ;-)

Wish all you folks on the East coast safe anchoring through the storm!

Mike

#56 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:32 PM

Ajax, my best to you.

Last halloween Ann & I decided we should have a generator when we lost power and water for 5 days. Generator now? No. My friend Gitsy would say, "you're such a fuckup."

#57 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:56 PM

Yesterday afternoon, we received a visitor. Nicely put together with three anchors set. Riding nicely so far.

This morning, I went to double up lines at a friend's house. Looks like his neighbor skipped the hurricane prep and went right to the aftermath.

Attached Files

#58 sculpin

sculpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Beer, and power tools.

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:06 PM

I've heard of filling the inflatable with water so it won't become airborne, but that premath is a bit extreme...

Good luck guys! Mine got hauled on Friday, so if she turns north I'm fine.

#59 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:32 PM

Yesterday afternoon, we received a visitor. Nicely put together with three anchors set. Riding nicely so far.

This morning, I went to double up lines at a friend's house. Looks like his neighbor skipped the hurricane prep and went right to the aftermath.

At least he's efficient. :rolleyes:

#60 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,386 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:47 PM

I still love that fanny. Thanks for the pic IB.

#61 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,680 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:51 PM

It was tempting just to stay parked on your creek, nice protection. If you were 50 miles closer to Hampton I'd probably still be there!

That picture is going to play hell with his insurance claim that the storm sunk his boat.

#62 Weyalan

Weyalan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:21 PM

Having had the experience of riding out a night of 50+ knots, with gusts to around 65, with only a 45 pound plough, 33' of 3/8" chain and 120' of nylon rode, it sounds like you have plenty of "ammunition" for a good night's sleep.

#63 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:30 PM

I still love that fanny. Thanks for the pic IB.

Thought you would. Cinnabar out of Norfolk.

I have a higher res iPhone pic and will try to get a good pic with a real camera for you if you want. By Tuesday, I should be able to get a nice profile shot.

#64 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:42 PM

It was tempting just to stay parked on your creek, nice protection. If you were 50 miles closer to Hampton I'd probably still be there!

That picture is going to play hell with his insurance claim that the storm sunk his boat.

BJ,
We would have been happy to have you stay but you are doing the right thing to get closer to Hampton in preps for the rally. How is the genset behaving?

As to the sunken boat. No one has touched it for at least 5 years so I'm betting no insurance.

#65 MoeAlfa

MoeAlfa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,322 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:49 PM

It was tempting just to stay parked on your creek, nice protection.

So, did you stop at the mouth of the creek and call for the river pilot like we did? Chart shows less water up there than at our little arroyo.

#66 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,680 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:55 PM

It was tempting just to stay parked on your creek, nice protection.

So, did you stop at the mouth of the creek and call for the river pilot like we did? Chart shows less water up there than at our little arroyo.

We stayed up in that little corner and the River Pilot came and met us, though we anchored there for the night.

#67 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:08 PM

Best wishes, BJ. As Hung says, when you're doubting remember holding all of us in Dutch.

#68 chippin' away

chippin' away

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:52 PM

Unusually quiet from BJ. Does anyone have any Chesapeake updates?

#69 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:58 PM

He's fine. Chatted briefly via Faceplace.

#70 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,680 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:15 PM

We're doing fine, so far it hasn't been so bad.

#71 chippin' away

chippin' away

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:27 PM

Thanks BJ. Figured as much. Glad to hear it went well.

#72 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:16 AM

Thomas Pt. light recorded 48 with gusts to 58 kts this last hour. It already feels like it's moderating though, so I'm going to take a nap.
It's like sleeping on a city bus, I tell ya.

#73 WHL

WHL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,671 posts
  • Interests:Offshore, Star, Farr 30, R Boat racing, and gunkholing in classic daysailers

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:40 AM

Good to hear you Chesapeake people are OK. I wonder how Mung, KDH, CL, Sailman, Anom, and Curm are doing. I heard a report a few moments ago that the surge where Mung is, is over 13ft and it's a high tide.

#74 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:47 AM

Wind is less of an issue than storm surge, I would think. But sounds like Chessie has missed the brunt of that.

#75 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:01 AM

Good to hear you Chesapeake people are OK. I wonder how Mung, KDH, CL, Sailman, Anom, and Curm are doing. I heard a report a few moments ago that the surge where Mung is, is over 13ft and it's a high tide.

More people without power there than live in NZ! Here's hoping that that is the reason why we haven't heard from them.

#76 Anomaly2

Anomaly2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Interests:sailing, building small boats...

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:12 AM

More people without power there than live in NZ! Here's hoping that that is the reason why we haven't heard from them.

Headed home here. No idea what I will find.... (waiting for daybreak back there and some folks to wake up and let me know what they see). I'll be offline for most of the day traveling but will report back in once I know what I'm reporting on.

#77 Paps

Paps

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,971 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:58 AM

Hang in there people.

#78 Recidivist

Recidivist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,458 posts
  • Interests:sailing, building sailing boats, cruising, racing, day sailing.

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:03 AM

We're doing fine, so far it hasn't been so bad.

Back on line too late to add anything useful for this time around. But let me say I'm a BIG fan of tandem anchoring on a single rode. The only thing I would have pointed out is that, in 18' of water, if your gap between anchors is 20+, the second anchor will still be on the bottom when you're trying to get the first one over the roller. I'd set up so the second one will be drifting free, so you can be underway while grappling with the anchors if necessary.

Glad you made it OK - hope everyone else gets through as successfully.

#79 Paps

Paps

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,971 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:05 AM

Thats a very good point Cidi.

edit
Especially if they needed to move in the spot of it, at night.

#80 NoStrings

NoStrings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,877 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:56 AM

I can't wait to: 1). Hear that all of you are ok, and 2) read BJ's soon to be epic description of hauling all of that metal (must be close to 800 lbs? Off of the bottom and back on board. Stay safe.

#81 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,228 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:03 PM

Shouldn't there be marine archeologists on hand to analyze whatever comes off BJ's anchors?

#82 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,680 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:25 PM

Shouldn't there be marine archeologists on hand to analyze whatever comes off BJ's anchors?

That giant barge thing (which is now upwind of us) has a crane on it, I wonder if I can get them to help.

#83 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,228 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:38 PM

The most epic battle I ever had with an anchor was with a 44 lb Bruce on 40' of chain plus nylon rode. We had tugged on it with the 44 CSY in Hurricane Floyd in the Miami Marine Stadium. Riding out the storm was pretty uneventful. I think the top of the mast probably saw hurricane force gusts, but down at boat level it was never that high.

The boat had a manual windlass. It was a bronze battleship part with two speeds, one of which you never used because it was the "one link at a time" speed.

We used it. That anchor was trying to find China.

#84 MoeAlfa

MoeAlfa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,322 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:46 PM

Just looked at the blog. That is one big anchor! It wouldn't look out of place painted white and sitting in front of a remote CG station.

#85 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:41 PM

BJ, Ajax, other Chessie sailors. Good to hear the night went OK.

BJ. We want video of you getting those anchors up.

#86 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,680 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:08 PM

Unfortunately I think that might be an "All Hands" operation so unless someone is watching us.

We're going to have to haul it to the Manson, secure that and remove the shackle. Then haul it until the Luke is at the surface and send someone down in a dinghy to connect the spin halyard to it. Then we will ease off chain to bring it back from the bow, then hoist it up with the spin halyard. While not gouging teak or gelcoat...

#87 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,680 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:10 PM

Just looked at the blog. That is one big anchor! It wouldn't look out of place painted white and sitting in front of a remote CG station.

Ya know, that's just the kind of stuff I've been putting up with from my wife for the last year....every time we walk by a big anchor on display it's "Oh look, that's almost as big as OUR storm anchor!".

#88 Estar

Estar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,111 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:22 PM

We're going to have to haul it to the Manson, secure that and remove the shackle. Then haul it until the Luke is at the surface and send someone down in a dinghy to connect the spin halyard to it. Then we will ease off chain to bring it back from the bow, then hoist it up with the spin halyard. While not gouging teak or gelcoat...

For next time . . . the best practice system for tandems is to have a lightish floating line tied to the front anchor and clipped to the aft anchor. Then you bring the aft anchor up into the bow rollers, unclip the line and either (a) bring it around the headstay and use it to pull the second anchor into the other bow roller (usually if using a plow type) or ( b ) clip a halyard to the line and hoist the second anchor to deck (usually if using a big danforth or luke type). This typically allows you to do it all without the dinghy and all in complete control.

Hawk, and all the other boats around us came thru just fine. We had one gust to 58kts. We have a little water in an aft cabin where I left a port open (operator error!)

#89 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,680 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:33 PM

For next time . . . the best practice system for tandems is to have a lightish floating line tied to the front anchor and clipped to the aft anchor. Then you bring the aft anchor up into the bow rollers, unclip the line and either (a) bring it around the headstay and use it to pull the second anchor into the other bow roller (usually if using a plow type) or ( b ) clip a halyard to the line and hoist the second anchor to deck (usually if using a big danforth or luke type). This typically allows you to do it all without the dinghy and all in complete control.

Hawk, and all the other boats around us came thru just fine. We had one gust to 58kts. We have a little water in an aft cabin where I left a port open (operator error!)

Good thoughts, thanks. We had a little rope looped on the Luke when we lowered it but Kathy couldn't get the halyard undone so she cut the small rope. From one to the next would definitely be better.

Learning as we go, this was good practice.

Glad to hear Hawk is good.

#90 Cruisin Loser

Cruisin Loser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,544 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, rock climbing, skiing, steatopygia, stuff

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:06 AM

I got a call from our friend, Jack. Lola-Jane is fine. There were waves above the seawall, rolling across the lower lawn, but her home is pretty well elevated. Thanks for your concern, I also got an email from Booms with similar good wishes.

I was up last week to winterize her home, but bailed back to Texas to start a new well.

#91 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,360 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:25 AM

Has Anom popped up yet?

#92 Paps

Paps

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,971 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:33 AM

Good thoughts, thanks. We had a little rope looped on the Luke when we lowered it but Kathy couldn't get the halyard undone so she cut the small rope. From one to the next would definitely be better.

Learning as we go, this was good practice.

Glad to hear Hawk is good.

Good job BJ, you have just managed your first shit storm while permanently afloat. Thats part of what its all about, the learning.

#93 Paps

Paps

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,971 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:34 AM

Has Anom popped up yet?

He has in the SA thread Bot. I think in transit somewhere worrying about what he will find but with support at home so not panicking.

#94 savoir

savoir

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,940 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:11 AM

There are no reports of any boats moored in Greenwich Bay being damaged.

#95 olaf hart

olaf hart

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:24 AM

Has Anom popped up yet?

He has in the SA thread Bot. I think in transit somewhere worrying about what he will find but with support at home so not panicking.

He said things looked OK in the Weather going South thread.

#96 SayGudday

SayGudday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:11 PM

http://www.yachtsurv...preparation.htm

Good link, thanks.

#97 SailAR

SailAR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:36 PM

Unfortunately I think that might be an "All Hands" operation so unless someone is watching us.

So, BJ, how did it go getting the tandem anchors up? Armchair sailors want to know!

#98 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:50 PM

So, BJ, how did it go getting the tandem anchors up? Armchair sailors want to know!

He's on his second day at it.

#99 crash

crash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:17 PM

Well, he either got them up on Thursday or he cut them loose. I saw him going south down the bay early on thursday afternoon as I was headed up to Deltaville to get hauled for the winter.

Nice looking boat BJ!

#100 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,680 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:10 AM

Well, he either got them up on Thursday or he cut them loose. I saw him going south down the bay early on thursday afternoon as I was headed up to Deltaville to get hauled for the winter.

Nice looking boat BJ!

Thanks. Were we sailing then? We only could sail for part of it, light and variable much of the day but the breeze finished well!

It went pretty smoothly. The chain was an unholy mess of mud, anchor #1 came right up into the roller. #1 son went down in the dinghy and tied anchor two up to the jib halyard while I removed the shackle and seizing from the Manson. Manson was slightly muddy, Luke was less so. We cranked it up with one of the powered primary winches and set it down on a tarp gentle as you please with no problems.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hurricane

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users