• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Darkside

Darkside

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:26 PM

I've read posts where people have used expedition in the puget sound to create custom current models. I've been playing around with expedition recently have not been able to get this to work. I've followed the help files and have been able to save ".grib" files after creating, but when going into the weather tab settings to load the file, nothing seems to happen. I have been able to load show weather gribs for the area. I'm sure I'm missing something simple in getting this to work.

#2 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,698 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:49 AM

are you able to view gribs of other currents?

the grib file creation utility in Expedition is pretty clunky.

i think it would be difficult to make any kind of hi-res grib with it..., especially when you consider that if you are doing it for tides, you might need to create 12 files.

i have used it to make a gulf stream current model from a georeferenced raster image - but i only needed one grib.

#3 talarian

talarian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:49 AM

i have just completed the Expedition 101 course by Peter Isler.   Expedition is a fantastic program and Nick White's support is reassuring but in the puget sound GRIB files describing the current are a must.  Imagine the routing software will say "anchor here" when you start going backwards in the model.

I looked at the various current tables in Washburn and it seems really close to being enough to create a grib.   Does anyone have friends at the department of ecology or UW that actually uses detailed current data in their day job?

#4 Darkside

Darkside

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:36 PM

Ya, we're gearing up for Swiftsure and was thinking this again. The current charts by Dr. Richard Dewey, University of Victoria are really great and will definately be using them.  I wish we could get these as GRIBS though. I've always wanted to find away to get the higher res UW weather model data into GRIBS as well. Expedition is great, but I can't justify investing in the software for my small puget northwest racing program without access to better GRIBs.    There are a couple of free CFD programs, openfoam and code saturne, that might get us to a crude version of the Dr. Dewey swiftsure charts for the Puget Sound. 

#5 J24Soup

J24Soup

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:26 PM

Must be that time of year again to start looking at the currents.  So short of creating custom current gribs (which I don't know how to do), what do folks recommend as the next best option to download/use? Or is the point here we don't really have them?

#6 Gong Show

Gong Show

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:33 PM

I would recommend looking at the link in the post above yours!

GS

#7 J24Soup

J24Soup

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:11 PM

Yup, those are great.  Was cur

I would recommend looking at the link in the post above yours!

GS

Yup, those are great.  Was looking at how to have electronic ones in the likes of Expedition/etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users