• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Cman

Cman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:00 PM

I sail from Marina del Rey to Catalina a few times a year on my 35’ J109 – 1/3 of the way motor sailing, 2/3 sailing. I leave the 9.5’ dinghy deflated on deck, and then pump it up when I get there. By the time we get there it’s late in the afternoon, we’re tired, and the little kids need to get off the boat in a hurry. So inflating the dinghy is just a time consuming hassle; we need to hit the ground running when we get there. Should I tow the dinghy or rig some davits for it? What are the pros and cons? I have a separate place to stow the small outboard.

Towing is easy to get started with, but what do I need to think about (only experience towing a dinghy is a 12’ rib behind a chartered beneteau50 in the BVIs). I like the idea of davits because I’m thinking I don’t have to think about the dinghy once it’s up; but at 35’ the boat seems a bit small for davits. I like to sail as much as I can, does it make difference if it’s towed or on davits?

Any advice would be appreciated. Tx

#2 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,786 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:16 PM

Towing's ok for short distances. Davits are awesome. You could lay a platform across the top, put a mattress and some solar panels up there, couple wind generators and 2 SSB antennas.

Or you could just HTFU, keep the deflated dinghy on deck, and show us your wife's tits.

oh, and 'Cman' is dangerously close to 'seaman' which is pretty damn close to semen.

#3 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts
  • Interests:MrsBlack, Brigadoon, freedom

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:55 PM

I won't keep this rigged for offshore but, I'm kinda biased towards my davits and hard dingy.

Posted Image

#4 Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,742 posts
  • Interests:Learning to adjust to retirement...so far, so good.

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:40 PM

Black

But that's a race boat...right?

#5 4knotSB

4knotSB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:45 PM

She's wearing orange. Must be a racer.

#6 Mung Breath

Mung Breath

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  • Interests:Balance in Life

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:51 PM

I do a lot of transits with a RID. If I'm motoring, I don't much care if I tow the dinghy which is certainly the easiest solution. If I'm sailing, I prefer it on deck because it slows me down and it's noisy. But I have a long flush deck.

The J/109 is a small boat with minimal deck space by comparison. But I can't imagine davits or weight astern on that style of boat either. Personally, I think I'd go with the smallest roll-up dinghy that will fit everyone and stow it. Use the transit time you save by not towing it to inflate it.

My $ .02-cents

#7 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,081 posts
  • Interests:Hallberg-Rassy 53 "Evenstar"

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:32 PM

I sail from Marina del Rey to Catalina a few times a year on my 35’ J109 – 1/3 of the way motor sailing, 2/3 sailing. I leave the 9.5’ dinghy deflated on deck, and then pump it up when I get there. By the time we get there it’s late in the afternoon, we’re tired, and the little kids need to get off the boat in a hurry. So inflating the dinghy is just a time consuming hassle; we need to hit the ground running when we get there. Should I tow the dinghy or rig some davits for it? What are the pros and cons? I have a separate place to stow the small outboard.

Towing is easy to get started with, but what do I need to think about (only experience towing a dinghy is a 12’ rib behind a chartered beneteau50 in the BVIs). I like the idea of davits because I’m thinking I don’t have to think about the dinghy once it’s up; but at 35’ the boat seems a bit small for davits. I like to sail as much as I can, does it make difference if it’s towed or on davits?

Any advice would be appreciated. Tx

I'm not sure I'd do davits on a J/109, just doesn't seem big enough.

That being said, davits rock - especially if you can get them strong enough to hold the dinghy with your engine on. We can be launched or recovered within minutes which is really nice.

#8 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,525 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:50 PM

http://www.dinghy-tow.com/about.htm

#9 Moonduster

Moonduster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:15 PM

It takes less than 15 minutes to go from a fully deflated Avon 2.8 stored below deck to planing ashore. You're doing something wrong if you can get your dink stiff, in the water, outboard on and underway in less than 10 minutes from partially deflated on deck.

Davits are ridiculous, expensive and ugly. And they'll increase the cost of your slip as your harbor master will measure the overall length of your boat from stem to stern including all accessories.

You might consider a 12V power inflator or using a SCUBA tank or just investing in a better pump. Seriously, once you get the hang of it you should be looking at less than 10 minutes.

Good luck!

#10 curm

curm

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:36 PM

I like my davits. Good place to put a solar panel and it's easy to launch the dinghy. If going offshore I would lash my deflated dinghy on deck, but for coastal cruising in the NE the davits are perfect.

#11 Mung Breath

Mung Breath

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  • Interests:Balance in Life

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:47 PM

It takes less than 15 minutes to go from a fully deflated Avon 2.8 stored below deck to planing ashore. You're doing something wrong if you can get your dink stiff, in the water, outboard on and underway in less than 10 minutes from partially deflated on deck.

Davits are ridiculous, expensive and ugly. And they'll increase the cost of your slip as your harbor master will measure the overall length of your boat from stem to stern including all accessories.

You might consider a 12V power inflator or using a SCUBA tank or just investing in a better pump. Seriously, once you get the hang of it you should be looking at less than 10 minutes.

Good luck!

Heck, with its stock foot pump, all three of my RID tubes are inflated in 5 minutes. It takes longer than that to find and rig a power inflator. The other thing not mentioned here is that davits would effectively extend the length of a J109 by what, 15%? I've seen that make for interesting bumper car action in a tight mooring field when the skipper ignores it back there!

#12 Cman

Cman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:43 PM

Thanks for all the advice. I’m hearing davits not a good idea for a j109, and I can’t argue with that. It also seems apparent to me now that I’m using a really crappy pump. Any advice on which pump I should get (dinghy uses a naru valve and has a high pressure floor)? Tx

#13 curm

curm

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:51 PM

Bravo 9 or Bravo 10. Get a spare hose because the bravo hoses are flimsy. I don't know about adapters for a naru valve. My new Odyssey air floor uses Halkey-Roberts values and it was a PITA to get the proper adapters, but I found them. Check out inflatableboatparts.com.

#14 Speng

Speng

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts
  • Interests:stuff with sails

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:32 PM

I'm surprised that a J109 is considered a small boat...

If you only need to do it once in while why not pump it up at the start when you're fresh and tow it so it's ready to go when you get there. OTOH putting the o/b on an inflatable in the water may be a pain?I dunno. I wouldn't tow it with the o/b in case it falls of. I wouldn't do davits just cuz.

#15 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,233 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:25 PM

Can't imagine davits on that boat. That would look just plain silly.
Donn's boat looks fine with davits but it is a very different boat.
HTFU and deflate your dink each day. That's what I did on my Esprit.

Oh yeah, and about those boobs. We have rules here you know.

#16 Whisper

Whisper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:16 AM

I tow from San Pedro to Two Harbors all the time. With outboard and gas in the dink. 10'2" air deck inflatable with Tohatsu 9.8 hp 2-stroke. To minimize drag, shorten the tow line until it's surfing down the first stern wake. You will find the sweet spot where you can hold the tow line between two fingers. Otherwise, you'll need two hands. I don't tow when it blows more than 25 knots.

#17 Joli

Joli

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:31 AM

Black, that's a damn good looking small pilot house boat. It must be a pleasure to live aboard.

I won't keep this rigged for offshore but, I'm kinda biased towards my davits and hard dingy.

Posted Image

#18 xFishman

xFishman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Computers, My wife, My Dogs, Roxy dog you will be missed

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:34 AM

I personally never liked the idea of towing my dingy (unless it is for a very short distance); however I don’t think that davits would really suit your boat either. We pretty much always ether pump up the dingy when we get where we are going or strap it upside down up front I. We are on a Tartan 3500 and make the trip from Newport to Catalina fairly often with the dingy strapped down up front, if the weather is fair.

#19 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts
  • Interests:MrsBlack, Brigadoon, freedom

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:05 PM

Black, that's a damn good looking small pilot house boat. It must be a pleasure to live aboard.

Posted Image

It's pretty amazing so far, Joli. As of yesterday, we have officially lived aboard for two years.

Here is the latest and best pic of her from Race Your House.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users